Dopplebock - Springfield Brewing Company

DopplebockDopplebock

Springfield Brewing Company visit their website
Missouri, United States

Doppelbock |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: karst on 02-18-2005)
Reviews by Shultzerdugen:

12 oz. brown bottle. The bartender at the brewery told me it was 7% ABV.

Poured a dark mahogany like brown with a tan head of good size for the style.

Ripe dark fruits come out in the nose- mostly prunes and a red apple sweetness. Alchol is apparent but not strong.

Medium-full body with a slick mouthfeel. The beer has fruit flavors to match the nose, with a juicy malt center tinged with caramel notes. Hops add a touch of bitterness, then a long fruity finish.

A solid beer and true to style.

Shultzerdugen, Dec 26, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

You get a half inch of quick fading tan head that lasts less then a minute. Brownish burgundy body sits beautifully in the glass. Nose has some dark fruit malts, phelonic dusty spice and sharp alchol presence. Enters the mouth sharply with some dry and consistant spice bitter that shows a nice hop presence. A consistant malty feel is there throughout that has some hints of raisens and burnt pastry crust. Mouthfeel is a nice mixture of rich and dry. A nicely drinkable, very good doppelbock. Drink it on the warmer side.

SPLITGRIN, Oct 16, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Had on tap in a pint glass

A-Nice deep brown with a small head that holds well.

S-Suprisingly not alot going on here small notes of male and chocolate.

T&M-Very rich and thick, great malt quatlity and extremly smooth and complex, good coffee and nutty presence in the middle and finish. Good carbonation level.

D-Very drinkable but at 9% they won't sell you a pitcher.

SpecialK088, Dec 16, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

jwmarcum, Feb 15, 2012

ygtbsm94, Jan 30, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

I tried this on a cold night in the brewery. Being my first dopplebock I did not know what to expect. Very dark color with a thin head. Smell was of roasted barley, coffee, and a touch of alcohol. The taste was much the same and was not heavy on the tongue. It finished well and improved as it warmed up.

smithhomebrewing, Jan 16, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Made a trip to Springfield Brewing Company's Mueller showcase 11 barrel microbrewery. My first and last 6 oz taster glass was their fine Dopplebock which in my opinion has an appearance that is very near perfect. I found its taste and aroma on a par with Ayling Celebrator - which I always keep on hand. I judge it to have less complexity than Celebrator and a thinner mouthfeel. If I had not fell in love with one of the other 6 beers that had on tap I would have brought it home in large quanity.- Mueller Doppel Bock took Bronze at the 2000 GABF. Please forgive me for not getting the ABV it was not one of my 500 questions asked during the personal tour given by their Brewer "Trey" Manning III.
Alcoholic aroma and taste well hidden for this style and I guess would be in the 6.5-7.5 range.

karst, Feb 18, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a clear, dark brown color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of slight roasted malt, slight sweet malt, and yeast. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of yeast up front, slight roasted malt, and slight sweet malt flavors come through nicely. Overall, good drinkability, but a little weak in body and aroma.

Tone, Dec 30, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Very dark brown with a smallish head that has a bit of staying power. Not much to the nose, maybe a little chocoloate and coffee. None of the trademark malt smell that you get from a good dopplebock.

This is a very sweet beer. The taste seems a little more porterish than dopplebock. At first I'm getting few flavors (chocolate malt) with a lot of sweetness. As it warms I can detect some Munich malt flavors but not as much as I'd like.

Overall this is a pretty good beer but not as much of a dopplebock as I hoped for. Still it reminds me more of Celebrator than Optimator for what its worth. I'd get it again but its pretty sweet and probably only have one at a time.

MarzenMan, Jan 03, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

Special thanks to Beertracker for this one. Pours a clear deep brown with a small tan head that doesn't stick around.

Scent is all malt. Lots of toasty bread and a little chocolate.

Maltiness abounds on the palate. Roasted malt and sweet multi-grain bread flavors mingle with a slight metalic tinge. Alcohol burn is noticeable in the finish.

Not bad, but I've had much better in the world of dopplebocks. Decent brew from the midwest. I was happy to try it.

RodBurg, Dec 17, 2008

TippySelenoid, Jan 07, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Bottle muled back by the Bud man, much appreciated. Label did not reveal any dating or abv.

The stubby 12 oz bottle poured a crisp and clean mahogany brown into the Bitburger pilsner glass. A frothy tan head bubble up and maintains for a good amount of time before subsiding, leaving a sheet ring of lace.

Peppery spice and malt dominate the aroma, with a hint of hazelnut lurking behind the scenes. Quaff yields a sweet backbone of malt, with the sharp cut of spiced nuts. A touch of caramel in the finish rounds this bad boy out nicely.

Forkingly fine tasty treat, I could easily go for a sixer on a cool spring / fall day.

Vancer, Feb 13, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle courtesy of kstrickler into a Duvel tulip.

A: An initially clear reddish-brown body becomes purplish and opaque after receiving an unexpected influx of dark yeast sediment; above is an imposing 3 finger head of dense, soft tan foam. Great retention and tons of lace. Beautiful dark lager.

S: Black malt, dark fruit, pumpernickel bread, and a pronounced metallic twang. The malts are great, the metal isn't.

T: Mmm. Rich, sweet, complex malts start things off, resembling a BSDA far more than a standard doppelbock: candied figs, rum-soaked cake, and roasted bread-crust. Delicious. Unfortunately, the finish is marred with some rough alcohol burn.

M: Medium bodied, with high carbonation that starts incredibly sharp and ends more softly. Perhaps a touch overcarbonated, and definitely intense.

D: As much as I look forward to the rich maltiness of each sip, the overpowering booze in between is less than enjoyable. I wouldn't want another bottle.

Notes: I love the Belgian-esque maltiness, but this really doesn't provide what I'd expect from a Doppelbock. I'm glad I got the chance to try it; thanks for the fun extra, Kyle.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jan 17, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

I just love this brewery. The food is great, especially on Sundays where you can get a pitcher and a pizza or hot wings for $10. The dopplebock really surprised me. The color was a deep brown with opaque head. The hops adds to the true hoppy character with a slight fruity finish. Complemented my pizza nicely. Well worth the money. Looking forward to trying the Kolsch.

spfldcardinalfan, Mar 16, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

This is the best beer Mueller has to offer, A very dark brown color with nice lacing head. served in a snifter, it smelled like rich roasted barley. A very strong Malty flavor and superb finish that is expected from a well crafted bock. I found this dopplebock to be so rich, I had to clean my pallate with a pale before I went back.

naterock, Mar 27, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks again to Dansting! 12oz. brown bottle served in a Duvel tulip. Pours a dark copper with a thin off white head. Not much aroma, sweetish, caramel. A little thin, more hop bitterness than I would expect from the style. Very dry. A slightly off flavor that I can't quite put my finger on brought the score down a little. Could use a little more in the malt department.

homebrewhawk, Jun 17, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer poured a deep brown almost black color with small off-white head that dissipated fairly quickly. The flavor and aroma were both dominated by the roasted malt, but is also characterized by the taste of dark fruit. Very smooth and easy drinking. I would definitely have again.

biggmike, Jan 16, 2008