B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros

22oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Pours pitch black, a hard pour with some distance at the end coaxed a 2+ inch espresso brown foamy head that bubbled away a lot like blooming coffee grounds.

S: Tons of dark roast coffee, bitter dark chocolate, licorice, oats, dark molasses, a little dark fruit, slight citrus hops in the background, a tiny bit of alcohol. Smells divine.

T: Wow, it definitely follows the nose! The firs thing to hit the palate is that coffee, chocolate, and licorice. I absolutely love the flavor the coffee imparts, it's not just bitter, but has a nice earthy taste. The citrus hops comes break through the background as it moves to middle. A lot of hoppy stouts use really bitter, leafy hops and that's a huge turn off for me. This is all citrus with just a little bitterness. The dark roasted malts and molasses round out more in the middle, though the coffee and chocolate still dominates. I try to avoid the cookie reference, but this does remind me of a heavily chocolaty oatmeal cookie due to just massive amounts of malt and the perfect balance of oats. The dark fruits and licorice seems to get pulled out of the background as it transitions to the finish, leading to a little bit of a blast of citrus hops giving just a touch of bitterness. The coffee just doesn't want to give up, it lingers on well past the finish. The finish does remind me a lot of an cappuccino with a lemon peel. Alcohol is extremely well hidden and is only ever evident occasionally in the finish or a big sip. Excellent.

M: Thick and chewy, though not the most viscous I've had, it's still pretty massive. Very smooth and creamy, it slides easily down the back of the throat. Coats every inch of the palate.

O: I had moderate expectations going into this, mainly due to the hoppy nature of this beer. I'm very glad to say this blew away my expectations. I know I don't dislike hops in Stouts, I just hadn't found a hoppy stout I liked yet, now I have. I just love the citrus hops in the background to balance things out and add a little depth, with the astringency kept to a minimum. There's absolutely none of the "chewying on grass root" finish in this I've grown to dislike in some hoppy stouts. If you like coffee, chocolate, and citrus, you'll love this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into pint glasses with Fr. Ian (Who also supplied the bottle. Thank you!)

A: Semi-thick looking pour that did not have much in the way of head formation. I am sure that it had warmed up sufficiently during the ride home. The color is very dark brownish-red.

S: This smells like an RIS. Dark chocolate, roasty malts, good heat in the nose leading towards a touch of sharp/sour grains. I don't pick out much in the way of hops.

T: Very nice chocolate and dark fruit. Excellent dose of hops bitterness. Very well balanced.

M: Incredibly smooth and round on the tongue.

D: Very, very easy to make this one disappear.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into sa snifter glass

Pours a dark black with a slight chocolate colored head.

Smell is chocolate and oats with a roastyness and slight sweetness.

Very full bodied on the taste with a heavy sweetness combined with the roasty flavor. Very smooth finish.

My first Oatmeal RIS and it does make it quite unique. Not something I would see drinking all the time but a high quality beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a bottle at Eulogy in Philly.

A: Just shy of pitch black with a hint of dark brown when held up to light. Mocha head with almost no lacing.

S: Big roast smell with coffee and chocolate mixed in. Slight hint of booze but overall very pleasant.

T: Nice mix of the chocolate, roast, oatmeal, coffee and some fruitiness in the back. Very complex. Reminded me of coffee with a little bit of hooch in it in a way.

M: Nice thick mouthfeel. Very smooth though.

D: A damn good stout. Would love to try this again with some snow on the ground but it was damn good even in July. Had this as a dessert beer and it went really well. Would grab this again if I saw it.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from brown bomber bottle to pint glass.

A - The beer pours a dark black with dark brown edges. A nice 2 finger brown chocolate head. Good retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is that of milk chocolate, roasted barley, a bit of fruity character, a mild hop character, and some licorice. Very good.

T/M - Just like the nose the beer starts with a nice blend of chocolate and roasted malts. It expands with a mild bitterness along with some light licorice. The oatmeal allows for a full mouthfeel without being overpowering. Good carbonation. The beer finishes creamy and smooth with a nice roastiness that lasts.

D - The beer hides the alcohol well. Good drinkability.

D: It goes down easily and I feel as if I could go for another.

Reviewed on: 03-12-2011 02:36:03

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours coal black. It looks like motor oil, thick and black. Held up to the light, nothing comes through. Nice one finger reddish brown head. Nice bubbly lacing holds up well.

Smell is raisins, vanilla, cocoa and some other sweet notes. As the beer warms the smell gets stronger and better.

Tastes as good as it smells! This is one smooth brew. Like a good oatmeal stout should taste, sweet and no alcohol burn. Nice balance between the sweetness and the roasty notes.

Mouth feel is very nice. It feels like my mouth is completely laced by this brew. Thick and smooth. Very little carbonation, just velvety smoothness.

This brew is about as drinkable as you can get for the style and the 9.4% ABV. This is a very very good beer.

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 750 ml bottle that has been in my frig for maybe 6 months.

Poured into my Stone glass. Got a big head if I really tried. Poured slowly into my friend's glass and got hardly any. The head was pretty dark brown with an absolute dark body.

Nose was charcoal and malty and chocolate.

Taste was one of the best balanced stouts I have had. It had chocolate, sweetness, bitterness(not much) and malt balance. Really easy to drink and the mouth feel was just right. This is a heavy bodied beer with medium carbonation. One of the best stouts I have tried.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Very dark brown, totally opaque, and clings to the glass. Head is nice and fluffy initially, then turns to a thin, bubbly ring around the glass. Aroma is deeply chocolatey at first, then opens up with some vanilla, caramel drizzle, soft alcohol, prunes, very faint candy orange, oatmeal cookies, and again very chocolatey. Taste is big. A lot of flavor in one sip... Chocolate liquor, oatmeal, molasses, charcoal comes to mind, figs, caramel, more chocolate. So much going on, harmoniously though. This is a sipper. Body is super heavy, thick and blankety. Smooth, broken up only by some piney bitterness. Carbonation is mellow underneath. A big beer with a lot of pleasant qualities, meant for slow absorption.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

I bought this beer at the Molen during the Borefts beer festival.

A - A pitch black oily kind of beer with a brown head that unfortunately fairly quickly sinks in..

S - A heavy boozy air mixed with dark chocolate and coffee.

T - A little sweet taste mixed with bitter chocolate and coffee stout, very good. Tasty and drinkable, well balanced. In the distance there is a noticeable hint of dark fruit such as cherries.

M - A soft to medium carbonation that suits the tastes fantastic, perfect thickness, a little creamy and a bit sticky. This is how I like them. The finish is bitter and then comes the alcohol heat.

O - A very good stout and well worth purchasing. I am definitely going to it buy again if I run into it. Even my wife found it delicious.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been wanting to try this for awhile now. I was so excited to get it that I had to immediately review it. I poured into a Bud Light Cleveland Caveliers glass to a brown head with very little carbonation. The chocolate and bready, roasted malts come to the forefront. It tastes great. I don't know if it's $9 a bomber great, but great nevertheless. I am a Siberian Night fan but I think this is a nudge better. Being a simple man of humble means I will have to stick with Siberian Night. But someday I will try some Founders Breakfast Stout and curse my meanial job. Oh well, I'm enjoying this for now.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours black with chocolate-brown fringes, but there is literally no head, even in the Duvel tulip that can normally create an outrageous head on anything. The aroma is a welcoming blend of earthy sweetness and roasted malt. The flavor seems to be predominantly dark chocolate, though. And not "dark chocolate" in the sense of what Hershey's considers dark chocolate to be, either. Straight-up gourmet, 70% pure cocoa, who-pays-this-much-for-a-candy-bar dark chocolate. The texture is likewise decadent, being somehow both silky and creamy. The high alcohol is only barely detectible, which combined with the luxurious flavor makes BORIS highly drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

L: Pours a deep brown to black color with a medium sized and medium bodied tan colored head that laces the glass a lot on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted malts, black malt, sweet oatmeal, caramel, and chocolate. Everything smells very balanced.
T: Like the nose, deep roasted malts followed by deep sweet caramel, chewy oatmeal, and rich chocolate. Really well done on this one.
M: Slightly chewy, smooth, warming, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, I didn't even feel the alcohol, all of the flavors blended together and with that classic oatmeal stout mouthfeel, it was easy going down. Too bad I only had 1 bomber!

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to axilla for breaking this one out...
Appears a dark, midnight black with dark auburn & purple highlights when held up to the light. A small, dark tan head fades into a mild cap. Spotty lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of dark fruit phenols, yeasty, cocoa, grapes, sugary, creamy...almost smells like a Belgian strain was used. Not a bad thing if that's the case and quite enticing.
Taste is of rich cocoa, dark fruit, brown sugar, and black grapes.
Mouthfeel is rich, syrupy, sugary, fruity, with cocoa powder and light chalkiness.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Oozes out of the bottle a positively inky pitch black with a very creamy/pillowy dark tan head. Black. Black. Black.

S: Strong aromas of dark chocolate, toasted oat, spices, licorice, roasted malt, and sweet dark fruit.

T: Strong chocolate and dark roasted malt with sweet dark fruit, cocoa, toffee, bitter hops, dark roast coffee, with a healthy whack of fruity/boozy alcohol.

M: Very full and creamy and quite viscous. Spicy and sweet. Chocolate, dark fruit, and hops in the long and sticky finish.

D: Everything works in concert to help keep the alcohol from getting too far out of hand. That being said, my cheeks and ears were pretty warm as I finished my glass of this. Good stuff and very enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Yet another "Beer of the Week" from BA Gborobeer!

A - Black. Hardly any head or lacing and not transparent in the slightest sense.

S - Very impressive...at first whiff I thought it was the barrel-aged version (it's not, I checked). Lots of roasted malt aroma with pseudo-bourbon smells as well. Don't get much of the oatmeal aroma in it though.

T - Again, without me knowing I would have thought this one was barrel aged, quite impressive. Lots of roasted malt flavor followed by a quit coffee burst in the beginning. Oatmeal much more present in the taste at the end of the swig, accompanied by the slight bittering of hops and chocolate malt.

M/D - Heavy body, very slight dry finish...more of a bitter aftertaste due to the roasted malts. High alcohol is slightly present in the heat but not enough to destroy the beer at all. Due to the heavy nature and great flavor profile it's definitely a sipper.

Very impressive beer, must try the barrel-aged version ASAP!

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

650ml bottle. 2012 vintage.

It pours an inky black, one of the darkest beers I have seen. It has a creamy but foamy dark tan head that sticks for a good while.

The smell is really clean for a RIS. You can pick out the malts and hops and even yeast easily. It has nice fruity notes, some interesting hops that are a bit earthy and dank, and some creamy stout notes that include chocolate , cake, and caramel.

The mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Initial notes are bitter coffee and booze. There is a noticeable grainy malt kick as well. The alcohol mellows out after the first few sips and it is smooth bitter chocolatey goodness.

A fine brew.

Poured into a snifter on 7/12/09

A - Deep brown in color, very close to black. Poured a caramel colored head that soon became thin & wispy. There is some lacing.

S - Roasted malts make up the nose one this one. Coffee with some toffee notes brought out as it warmed.

T - Robust malty flavor in line with the nose. Roasted coffee taste works in conjunction with some hints of chocolate & a sweetness that seems to be toffee or maybe caramel. A pointed, yet hardly overwhelming, hop bite rounds out the malts.

M - Smooth & somewhat slick on the tongue. Carbonation is low. Hops allow for a touch of bitterness to linger.

D - I found this to be a rather enjoyable stout. Alcohol is hidden for the most part. I wouldn't be inclined to drink more than one at a time, but it certainly makes for a killer after work treat.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer, I feel, was hard pressed to live up to the hype. I definitely enjoyed it, but when I see it's medals from the GABF and read the reviews... even the name means this beer's sights are aiming very high.

The beer pours a thick black - best comparison is used motor oil or day-old coffee. There is a very dark mocha head on it but it was short-lived.

Smelled of burnt malt, roasted coffee beans, and had some oaky, bready notes.

Tastes of sweet molasses, oak, and chocolate espresso beans. There is a huge amount of maltiness and decent hop bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not as thick and chewy as some oatmeal stouts, but definitely not thin either. There is medium heat on this beer too.

The high abv and richness of this beer make it hard to drink quickly. Nevertheless, I found it extremely enjoyable and look forward to drinking this again, preferably where I can split the bottle with a friend or two!

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this sent to me by both bkrefetz and masterchiefMD in a trade. Thanks again to both of you guys!

A- Pours jet black, very viscous. About a finger of brown sugar colored head. Great head retention and decent lacing.

S- Roasted coffee and dark chocolates along with dark fruits. A bit boozy but not overpowering.

T- Roasted flavors really come through on this one. Coffee and dark fruits. Bitter dark chocolates make an appearance also, along with a bite from the alcohol.

M- Heavy bodied, good amount of carbonation. Smooth as engine oil, just like a good RIS should be.

D- High ABV and relative sweetness hurt it a little bit, but every sip left me wanting more.

This was an excellent RIS. I'll probably leave the other one in the cellar for awhile and see waht happens.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

I am now going to review Hoppin’ Frog “B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout” from Akron, Ohio. BORIS stands for Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout. I like to admire beer labels and see if there are any serving temperature suggestions or even glassware suggestions. This label has neither. On the neck, it does state that it is a Great American Beer Festival gold medal winner in the Imperial stout category, a very nice accolade. It is a hefty 9.4% ABV. I have it slightly chilled and I will serve it in my wide Duvel goblet to open up the flavor.

Appearance - It pours a thick, motor oil black with almost a two finger mocha colored head that is holding steady. I am holding it up to the light and I cannot even see through it! This may be one of the darkest beers I have ever had.

Smell – The nose is intense and very potent. I detect toasty malts, fresh roasted coffee, baker’s chocolate, and a hint of candied figs. This is a great smelling brew, perfect for breakfast.

Taste - The first sip is smooth with a multitude of tongue enveloping tastes. The coffee is strong. We are talking Starbucks brand French Roast here. It imparts rich smokiness and mocha flavors. The oats are playing in the background with a good, resin-y hop balance in the finish. Each sip is as powerful as the last.

This is a fantastic rendition of the Russian Imperial Stout style. For coffee lovers it is very drinkable with savory flavors. As it is warming up a bit to room temperature, the smokiness is easy up and more bittersweet chocolate flavors are coming out. Also, the first sip was almost like tannins on the side of my tongue, now it is more mellow. Hoppin’ Frog, hold your gold medal high!

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

The bomber bottle label sports a frog sloshing beer out of a tankard and a neck band proclaiming Hoppin' Frog's B.O.R.I.S. the 2008 G.A.B.F. Imperial Stout Gold Medal Winner. Whoa! Stupid frog! Party foul!

The cellar-cool bottle yields an inky body the hue of chocolate syrup topped with a thin layer of oily walnut-brown foam. The cap recedes into a bubbly ring that leaves wisps and freckled lacing clinging to the interior of my Duck-Rabbit snifter.

The smell is roasty and blackened with strong smoky notes of smutty, savory dark chocolate laced with the stinging acrid tanginess of French roast coffee and charred grain. Black licorice and caramel-infused brandy contribute considerable fruitiness and a touch of spice to the bitter burntness of the profile. As the drink warms, rich oats gain stature in the aroma, layering on the sweet, scratchy starchiness of cereal-grain sweetness.

The taste is quite bitter and laden with espresso and unsweetened bakers' chocolate. Gritty, grainy-sweet oats and tangy, acrid scorched malts collide with boozy vanilla caramel and creamy chocolate liqueur. An earthy hop note swirled with powdered cocoa mix and dusty instant coffee dries the finish.

The drink is creamy, silky, and full-bodied with just the right amount of carbonation to lighten things up a bit. Quite delicious and very drinkable for style.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Pours a thick inky black with a cocoa-colored head that dissipates quickly. Mild carbonation present with decent lacing.

S: Chocolate, coffee, caramel, chili pepper, oatmeal, smokiness, toastiness.

T: Cocoa, hops, slight malt, dark chocolate, oatmeal, slight chili pepper, smoky, toasty, caramel.

M: Smooth, well-balanced, good strands of bitterness and dryness coming through. Creamy with bold, definite flavors.

O: This is a bold, tasty RIS with a solid profile of flavors. Nice touches of bitterness and dryness. I picked a bottle of this up at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio, while visiting friends in the area in June. Unfortunately, along with the rest of the Hoppin' Frog line, it's not available in my state. Should've grabbed at least another bottle.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a small, cappuccino-like, tan head. It left thin rings of lace on the sides of the glass..

S - It smelled of oatmeal, roasted malt and coffee. There were very mild floral notes.

T - It tasted of sweet chocolate, sharp oatmeal and sweet caramel malt. It had a nice bitter hop kick.

M - It was smooth and sharp with a dry finish. A medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a interesting take on an RIS. It really tastes like an oatmeal stout that has been cranked up.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a rich roasted and chocolate malt scent that is sweet and dessert like with a nice subtle roasted malt aroma. The taste is great as well. It has a wonderfully warm black and chocolate malt flavor. It's rich and powerful, yet highly enjoyable. This is a meal of a beer. It has a complex palate that resinates in the finish. The mouthfeel is great. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tremendous beer. It's bold and flavorful as well as enjoyable. Nice work!

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery