B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

a: BORIS is damn near black but not quite. It pours with a medium sized mocha head; decent lace and retention.

s: Relatively mild roasty, almost charred, malts that smell of cocoa. The alcohol in moderately noticeable. Nice nose, but it's pretty one dimensional.

t: Wow, this is big, full flavored, and satisfying! The malts taste heavily roasted to the point of being bitter and a bit smokey.A nice semi-sweet chocolate flavor lingers for quite a while. The alcohol is barely discernible, but provides a welcome warming feeling.

m: Super thick and chewy with a fantasticly foamy carbonation. It has the texture of really good hot chocolate made with whole mlik instead of water.

d: This is a fantastic beer that I would love to have on a regular basis. I don't let price influence my drinkability score, but I must write the following. This stuff is over $70 a case for 12 bombers. Stoudt's Fat Dog is every bit as good and at a little more than half the price. I am glad I tried a bottle but I won't pay for more.

DIM, Mar 09, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a Hoppin' Frog bomber into pint glasses. The beer was thick and black with a poofy tan & wet head. The aroma was coffee and burnt malts, the flavor was smooth dark sweet malts. Very thick and rich, but still a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Real nice, my first and only imperial oatmeal stout.

TurdFurgison, Mar 31, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours black with a chocolate color head. Aroma of bakers chocolate, mocha, and a bit of vanilla mixed with alcohol. Flavor beings with unsweetened chocolate, before moving to sweeter marshmallow and vanilla notes. Toasted cereal, molasses and mocha follow before a roasty finish. Silky smooth. Very cohesive flavor. Finishing a bomber of this won't be a problem.

uustal, Feb 19, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Got this in trade from Draught2012. Excellent trader.

This bottle has about 6-7 months of age on it.

When I poured this the head was a little disappointing. Very dark brown, very active and quick to fade to nothing. Pitch black beer that does not allow any light through.

Aroma of Chocolate, dark roasted malts and a touch of dark fruit.

A moment of black licorice, lots of dark chocolate. I get lots of chocolate covered cherries. Smooth front to back. Towards the end a moment of dark coffee and some hop bitterness. The alcohol is not "well hidden" it's TOTALLY hidden.

Mouth feel is silky smooth, carbonation is very light. Luscious comes to mind. Despite the fact that I never use that word.

Very drinkable and a beer that totally hides the ABV. I do like this beer, but don't rate it amongst my favorite Imperial Stouts. While good, not worth twice as much as a Stone Russian Imperial.

Reagan1984, Jul 19, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

22 fl. oz. bomber poured into snifter.

A: Pours pitch black with a very thin and quickly dissipating dark brown head. No lacing.

S: Roasted malts and hints of raisins and figs, as well as a note of alcohol. Pretty mellow.

T: Predominately dark chocolate and roasted malts, very coffee lke. I've had this one in the "cellar" for roughly 9 months, so I'm sure some of the hops have faded. Sweet chocolate finish. I think I actually might prefer this one fresh with a bit more hop balance, the sweet finish is just a bit much.

M/D: Velvety smooth and a sensational full body. Warming alcohol sensation is just right and is not too hot.

I'm fortunate enough to have this at my disposal at all times! A local favorite, and probably one of my all-time favorite brews.

TheViolator666, Dec 04, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A-almost black in color with just a ring of brown head around the top

S-not very strong, but smells of roasted malts, coffee, sweet oatmeal

T-similar to the smell with roasted malts, a bit of coffee bitterness, but the sweetness comes out more from the oatmeal and what tastes like melted chocolate. A bit of alcohol warming at the end, but no bite

M-full body, low carbonation, silky smooth

T-really great, not like other imperial stouts I have had due to the major silkiness of it.

ksimons, Nov 06, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

A_Pours a viscous looking opague brown/black. A nice looking mocha 1.5 finger head has some good staying power.

S_Nose is a very thick roasted malt with hints of coffee as well. Mostly bitter with no trace of alcohol. Smells nice without being overpowering.

T_Sweeter up front with the stout like chocolate notes. This is followed up by a very nice sourness. The finish is a rich bitterness that comes from both the hops and the roasted grains. Alcohol is hidden but comes through a bit more as it gets warmer.

M_Fairly sticky and oily with a decent level of carbonation. A bit of the silky mouthfeel I like from oatmeal stouts is missing but that really is the only negative.

D_Potent stout that is a fine as a sipper on a cold evening. While there is a good balance between the elements the overall strength of the taste limits the ammount one could drink making this a good special occasion beer.

Thanks go out to Rblwthacoz for the bottle.

sleazo, Feb 17, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Pours a brackish, blackish body with no real head.

Smell: Rich dark, roasty malts nose with full notes of molasses, creosote, charred oats, and ground licorice root.

Taste: Dark maltiness with a dialed up licorice taste. Smokey creosote character. Only a mild sweetness. Oats coated in molasses. Mild, earthy bitterness. Finishes roasty with a touch of pine bark.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Mild carbonation. Somewhat oily mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Man, that's one yummy frog. Very drinkable, very tasty.

ChainGangGuy, May 05, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

I pour this Oatmeal-Imperial Stout tonight into a small Thomas Hardy's Ale snifter, just because...and then I realize it's too small and doesn't do the head justice, and pour it into a wider mouthed Belgian chalice.

Solid black, with a roasty brown head, oatmea meets cocoa powder.

Big, fat, wide and out loud aroma. bitter hops, molasses, chocolate, a trickle of anise...rich and decadent, potent and luxurious, edging into whiskey-ish flavors.

Drinkin' it...there we go, the vastness, the slick, viscous feel, with smooth, roasty oatmeal riding under it...terribly full-flavored, full-bodied, though not as thick as I like an Imperial Stout. Fine as it is, though. Goodness, it's good.

A well-balanced, multi-layered, drinkable RIS. Tasty. This does a body good on a cold December night. Alcohol doesn't intrude on the enjoyment.
Gets sharp at times, bright fruit flavor flashes in...but remains a solid Imperial Stout. Delicious stuff.

Much thanks to BuckeyeNation for providing!

feloniousmonk, Dec 29, 2007

Taste 39/40
Feel 10/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 94/100

Solid chocolatelly big BA stout, great balance and taste. Almost has a chocolate and maple taste. Whisky takes a back seat but stays prevalent. May not be the most complex BA stout, but the maple/chocolate sure shines enough to put a smile on my face and crave for more~

BrewUSA, Jan 18, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bomber from West Lakeview Liquors.

Appearance: dark brown, almost black with a thick and lasting brown head.

Aroma: Mellow compared to most imperials but I like that. Lots of oat/grain aroma, very roasty, with touches of dark fruit, vanilla, and citrus.

Taste: Great. Very much like an oatmeal stout but more pronounced with a greater body and some improved depth. Faint amounts of plum like dark fruits. Mildly chocolaty, but mostly this beer focuses a lot on well roasted malt and oats. Hint of citrus in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Chewy and luscious. Full bodied without being boozy. Just great.

Drinkability: Superb. Drinks like any old stout. It's just a lot better than most without being too boozy, too hoppy, or just too damned big.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 21, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Bomber pours a dark charcoal black with a bit of dark tan bubbles on top. Fairly low carbonation overall off the pour. Aromas kick in with a blast of deep, rich cocoa. Coffee, caramel and oats are in there as well but the rich cocoa runs the show.

First sip brings big malts upfront with a blast of cocoa that moves into tones of coffee, caramel and molasses as well. A bit sweet as it flows down with a touch of alcohol as well as dark fruits running through. Big and chewy malts run wild all over the place while the oats bring a slick smoothness to the entire experience. Just a damn good oatmeal imperial stout.

Mouthfeel is smooth and rather heavy. Quite a chewy drinking experience that is rather filling. A bit stout through and through that is smoothed out by the oats. A damn tasty beer here I'm glad I was able to try.

orbitalr0x, Apr 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a wonderful growler at room temp supplied by klewis and the New York Yankees. Thanks to all of you.
Filled the glass pitch black with a tan head that melted quickly to nothing.
Aromas are dark chocolate, carob, oatmeal cookies and a hint of coffee and alcohol.
Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and rich.
Taste is dark chocolate, carob, oatmeal cookie dough, vanilla, some light citrus fruits like oranges and alcohol.
Aftertaste is wonderfully smooth and sweet dark chocolate...nothing cloying...just pleasantly sweet with a bit of the alcohol warming it's way down your torso.
Great take on a RIS...love the addition of Oatmeal..makes it very smooth and mellow even fresh.

IntriqKen, Jun 07, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

It's a cold Sunday here in New York, a day that begs for some nice, high ABV Stouts. Luckily, I have been hanging onto BORIS for a while for a day just like this. So after scampering around all morning to get the stew on its slow simmer towards excellence, I sit down at my desk with a some nice aged sheep's milk cheese from Arthur Avenue, a pint glass and a 22 of this Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout. I click shuffle all on the ipod and we begin...

Song - I walk the Line; Johnny Cash.

BORIS promises to crush me like no other and the song is fitting, because being crushed is a line I don't mind tip-toeing down.

It pours a shade darker than coca-cola, but miles thicker. It has that red hue to it that coke seems to carry and as I watch the pour intently, I nearly let the glass over flow... crap.

Song change - Icky Thump; White Stripes

The beer doesn't carry much of a head, even though it was poured right down the pipe with some vigor. There is a tiny and very tan cap around the perimeter of the beer, but that is it. I can't recall if the last one I drank had the same results... I may be way off and I haven't been into a dark room in years (since photography class in Boarding School), but this reminds me of a dark room with all the red blubs out except one. It is dark, I can barley see, but there is a faint dark red color that allows some light to pass through if I tilt the glass enough.

Song Change - Lyrics to Go; A Tribe Called Quest

Imagine if someone spiked a tootsie roll. That is the initial smell I get, a tootsie roll, heated up a bit, then soaked in some rum or whiskey. With it comes the oatmeal and coffee, but this is a dark deep coffee with some dark fruit characters. I like the smell, its nice

BORIS has much more Hops here than I remembered it. Now, don't get me wrong... he is completely dominated by the dark chocolate, coffee, oatmeal...

Song Change - Money; Pink Floyd

... plums, raisins, and lots of good roastiness... but in the finish, there is more bitterness to it than I recall. Really complex beer, lot's to talk about, actually fits quite well with this song. Especially the trumpet solo (that is a trumpet right?). Mmm, really tasty, the alcohol doesn't tuck its self away in the corner, but it is not over the top by any means... I actually had a nice little game of hide and seek with it through out the entire beer.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, but still has a nice rich body. It is very well carbonated, maybe a bit too much, but as the songs past it seems to...

Song Change - I'm Only Sleeping; covered by Jeff Tweedy

... calm down and is really nice.

Very drinkable, as drinkable as a 22oz bottle of an almost 10% beer can be. Really nice offering and has accomplished the immediate task when I ...

Song Change - Like a Rock; Bob Seager

Woke, which was warm my bones. On a side note, this song has been permanently ruined for me because of the Ford commercials. I work in advertising/marketing and understand how necessary finding a great song is for commercials is, but I still hate how they ruin songs for me. My favorite band is Wilco and those godforsaken Volkswagen commercial's really crush me.

Speaking of crushing me, this beer did just that. Really great offering from Hoppin' Frog

EDIT: When refilling the glass I literally threw the beer into the glass and a nice rich, thick, khaki brown colored cloud formed over the beer and sank slowly. I apologize to BORIS for I don't want him to show up and kick down my door. Really nice coffee frappe (milk shake for non-new Englanders) colored head.

calise1122, Dec 07, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a Chimay glass. A drip pan may have been more appropriate. Oily black with an appropriate sized milk chocolate head. Nose is dark chocolate, coffee & booze. If that sounds like a recipe for an all night party, wait'll you taste it.

A deliciously balanced mix of dark fruits, coffee, dark roasted malt and traces of smoke, with some hops at the end to bring it back, and though the alcohol doesn't get in the way of the flavor, the warmth it provides going down is extremely pleasant. Full bodied and smooth overall but with just a touch of sharpness. Great beer.

Rzzzzz, Jul 07, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

22 oz bomber at 50 degrees into a Stone IRS tulip.

A: It pours pure opaque black with a two-finger dome of chocolate milk colored creaminess. It holds up very well and the lacing is exceptional.

S: Milk chocolate, sweet dark fruits, some anise-licorice notes, and light to average roastiness.

T: Strong milk chocolate, sweet figs and dates, moderate and semi-citrusy hoppiness, and anise and licorice late. There is a lack of roastiness in this that makes it refreshingly unique.

M: This is the most velvety-smooth Imperial Stout I've ever had. B.O.R.I.S. on nitro-tap might not be much smoother.

D: It goes down easily and I feel as if I could go for another.

bucklemyshoe, Feb 28, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A 650 mL bottle courtesy of markgugs.

A: The stout pours with a thick, viscous oil quality, revealing little head until the glass is 1/2 way full. At that point, a coffee-n-cream colored head emerges that is thick and laces throughout the glass.

S: The nose is all kinds of dark sweetness, particularly toasted cereal malts, chocolate and caramel. The chocolate grains are so dark and deep that they take on a wine-like quality.

T: The flavor is enough to knock your socks off. The chocolate, dark malts are dry and slightly bitter, creating an interesting interplay between the dryness and chocolate sweetness. The darker roasted character really shines at the end, creating a complexity that lasts for a very long time. As the stout warms, a big alcohol presence emerges.

M: The mouthfeel is big and bold, full of dark malt depth. The alcohol that emerges later in the ale has the effect of scouring the mouth.

D: The high alcohol and big taste is quite enjoyable, but one bottle is all I could handle.

akorsak, Apr 26, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

My first beer of Philly Beer Week 2009 on tap @ Capone's...

A - Silky opaque black... Still, with no visible carbonation... One finger of dark tan head which fades leaving only a black abyss...

S - More subdued than I expected, but still quite enticing... Rich malts... Chocolate... Hint of alcohol... Slightly grainy...

T - Well crafted and quite complex... Equal parts dark and milk chocolate... Coffee... Roasted Malt... An ever so slight hint of licorice...

M - Slick and smooth... Rich... Medium to full bodied... Slightly oily... Slightly chewy... Ever so faint warming feeling of the 9.4% ABV can be detected as the session matures... Also a faint smokiness was detected...

D - Quite the memorable Oatmeal Stout... Impressive in all facets... Hides the 9.4% ABV well, which could be dangerous... Goes down very easy... I would highly recommend and seek out again in the future...

philbe311, Mar 07, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Had this on my recent trip to Ohio at vintage estate in Boardman , a must if your in the area. Poured into a chalice, pours a dark black with a bit of a dark head that leaves a ring around the glass, typical for this type of stout. Smell was amazing dark chocolate burnt figs and grapes, sweet smell of alcohol. Taste was amazing I can taste strong coffee, hints of roasted malt and toffee, chocolate and a bit of a velvet german cake in there, Simply awesome stuff. Overall this was one fine damn offering, I am glad to have had this on draft awesome beer at an awesome place.

gunnerman, Dec 08, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a bomber, comes out a thick black body with a medium brown "tapioca" head, about a finger. Leaves some serious lacing, head drops to less than half an inch.

Smell is riiiich, like an S'more made with dark chocolate & soaked in alcohol. Definitely smell the booze up front. The taste is right along with it, and adds some dark roasted coffee. The taste of espresso lingers in the aftertaste, like I just actually chewed on the beans instead of drinking the beverage. Those rich, creamy dark chocolate flavors are really dominant, almost like a liqueur. Very roasty aspects, on the verge of burnt.

The mouthfeel's thick, like most RIS. I have yet to experience the oily slickness that so many attribute to oatmeal stouts -- might be there, but I just don't recognize it. Bottom line: this is deliciious & I want more.

OneDropSoup, Apr 19, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

It's getting a little colder out and I wanted a big beer for my 200th review, so when I stumbled upon old B.O.R.I.S. here I knew he was the one.

B.O.R.I.S., which apparently stands for Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout (badass name for an Impy Stout), pours a deep, opaque black color similar to the darkest chocolate in liquid form (though maybe not the same consistency). The beer puts up about a finger of milk-chocolate colored head that lasts for a minute or two before dissipating, leaving some nice drapes of lacing on the side of the glass.

The aroma is pretty good. Some earthy hops, molasses, dark chocolate, some roasted malts, and maybe a bit of maple oatmeal all float around in a fragrant soup of smell. Complex and ever-changing, especially as it warms, this is one inviting beer.

Similar to the nose, the flavor is deep and complex. Some dark roasted malts up front, drizzled with dark chocolate. Oatmeal, molasses, and dark licorice through the middle. A little bit of herbal/earthy hop flavor, alcohol spice, and more bittersweet chocolate on the finish. Complicated and ever-changing... even though BORIS has a manly name, he's a bit like a woman. All joking aside, this is a good RIS.

The mouthfeel is pretty good. It's nice and smooth, with an oily feel in the mouth. Maybe it could be a bit creamier, but that's nitpicking. Either way, though, it still boasts a body that's a notch or two above medium and has a well-regulated amount of carbonation, as well as a slight bit of alcohol on the finish. Not bad at all.

Overall, this is a good example of a Russian Imperial Stout, and my bomber is going pretty quickly. Complex, flavorful, and a good-lookin' beer too. B.O.R.I.S. was a good choice for a 200th review.

feelmefoam, Nov 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

served in a st bernardus oversized wineglass.

true to its brethren in the style, pours a very dark brown/almost pure black with a finger of tan head... decent retention and lacing.

nose offers ample amounts of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt.

very tasty. coffee at first, followed by chocolate and oatmeal, the latter being more subdued. the alcohol is definitely there but it's not overpowering by a long shot. fairly full-bodied mouthfeel, thick and rich.

surprisingly drinkable for a big beer - i could have another. overall a fantastic RIS, one of my favorites non-barrel aged stouts.

originally reviewed on: 06-25-2010

BostonHops, May 09, 2012

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Hoppin' Frog Brewery branded snifter

Pours nearly pitch black with a dark beige two finger fluffy head. Dark fruits, berries and chocolate on the nose. Smooth dark fruits, smooth coffee and chocolate notes that are never bitter-almost like a mocha latte but much more subtle. Likewise, regarding the roasted grain and malt. The roastiness is there, but smooth, absolutely no bitterness. Finishes with underlying warming alcohol. Creamy and velvetly full-bodied, exceptional mouthfeel. Excellent variation on an RIS. A perfect example of how a "big beer" can subtlely deliver a very high level of complexity.

chanokokoro, Jan 24, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a dark milk chocolate, 2-finger head with nice lacing. Licorice black, opaque espresso body. Slightly alcoholic aroma and usual suspects of deep, rich malt roast and mix of floral/grassy hops. Creamy, sweet oatmeal-raisin cookie with even some prune/plum tones. Alcohol is definitely there but well-blended with sugar and nice chicory finish. This coats well and takes balance of all in excess - natural sweetness, hop bitterness and solid chocolatey, coffee malt. This was a pleasure to savor and now one of my favorite oatmeal-inspired Russian Imperial Stouts.

CuriousMonk, Feb 24, 2011

130th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint

22oz.

App- It poured a big heavy brown viscous stout pour. No head on it.

Smell- Big flavors of the Oatmeal and malty. Even some chocolate in there. Smelled fairly sweet as well.

Taste- A big rich oatmeal malt flavor. Very very smooth. IT was very good.

Mouth- It's lighter than I would thought but that was okay. Creamy, and a touch of oily richness make it very appealing.

Drink- I'm all for this beer. I'm now super anxious to try the B.A. version for X-mas eve.

FosterJM, Dec 23, 2010