B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,002 | Hads: 2,559
4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. thanks eric!

22oz bottle.

pours deep inky black. no light even sneaking through around the edges. a nice dense brown head rises up and very slowly falls leaving spotty lace behind.

aroma is great. nice roast. big bread and biscuit malts. alcohol. light anise. lots of caramel. bit of toffee. toasted multigrain bread. a bit of vanilla. dark chocolate.

taste is great. roast. bit of alcohol. big bread and biscuit malt. bittersweet and dark chocolate. touch of vanilla. caramel sweetness. coffee. toasted bread. hint of grain. medium-low bitterness level, mostly coming through as bakers chocolate. as it warms the alcohol comes through a little more, and it seems to get even more biscuit character.

mouthfeel is good. big and chewy, especially as it warms. slightly less than medium carbonation level works ok. just a touch of astringency.

drinkability is good. well balanced and very good. as it warms the alcohol comes out a bit more, but mostly as a little bit of warmth and isn't at all unpleasant. great stuff. (1,063 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Like used motor oil, but with less lubricating properties. There was a small milk chocolate colored head right after the pour, but it went away pretty quickly.

S: Dark roasty coffee and chocolate dominates in this aroma.

T: Wow. This is good. The coffee and chocolate flavors are more subdued in the flavor than they were in the aroma for sure, but it's still damn tasty. The creaminess from the oatmeal is there as well and there is some vanilla in the background. There is a bunch of residual sweetness.

M: It actually is a bit thin for the style, but still decently heavy. It actually gets a big heavier towards the back of the palate.

D: This is a good beer all around. I do question why they put strong beers in bigger bottles though. This is the equivalent of almost 4 regular beers worth of alcohol. (813 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer is absolutely delicious. Be extremely careful, it is very potent, too. I could drink 100 of these in a sitting if I could walk upright. Nice chocolatey malts, poured nice tan head, but disapated quickly. Different than most imperial stouts because the bitterness is NOT overwhelming. It's dry, sweet, and clean. Some coffee flavors but they do not dominate. Very smooth beer and very underrated! (405 characters)

One of the most memorable beers I've had.

This brew combines my two favorite styles and delivers on both with a payload of flavor, body, and interest.

Pour: Black, thick, with a dark head. Yes!

Smell: Enormous, malty, and with some sweetness. Yes!!

Mouthfeel: Full, creamy, slick. Yes!!!

Taste: Huge helping of malts, boosted by a tremendous body and presented nicely with just the right combination of the flinty or grainy notes of dark malts and the balancing and body-fortifying effects of the oats. Perfect amount of carbonation carries this beer effectively on the palate. Flavors of chocolate, coffee, nuts, and an almost wine-like presence made this one incredible beer. YES!!!!

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher now has a space in my top ten favorite beers, and it will become a regular in my purchases. I'm also pleased to be able to support an Ohio brewery. (862 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours from the bottle like I just struck oil. A dark chocolate mousse head forms in slow motion, this is some 10W30. Smells of dark chocolate covered cherries with a hint of expresso. Big roasted malt and ground coffee taste. Finishes with the chocolate covered cherry taste. Full in the mouth with some carbonation. Between warming effect and taste, the A.B.V. is noticeable. A sipper no doubt. Quite a delight this one, a must try. (433 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a masterpiece. I had the opportunity to taste it again thanks to Risser09 who brought this back from his trip to Ohio. I had B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher mixed in with a stout tasting once before and really enjoyed it. This time, the opportunity to sit and leisurely quaff B.O.R.I.S. I realized how truly magnificent the beer is. We then lined up some other highly regarded stout and BORIS Crushed them.

Appearance: Absolute Black! It formed a small brown thick head even in my tasting snifter.

Smell: It has a rich aroma of molasses and bold thick chocolate, dark heavy fruits and booze. A port like attribute and a roasted grain chocolate milkshake character. To simply call it 'enticing' is a gross understatement of the aroma.

Taste: How could this possibly follow through on all the nose promises? ... Well, it does. And beautifully too. Bold black malt, coffee, roasted grain, chocolate, prune, date, cherry, cocoa again, milk, caramel and grape with vinous alcohol and an espresso bitterness. Spectacular!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is this beer is what crushed all the other stouts it was put up against. It is ridiculously viscous! It leaves a thick coat that looks like sticky motor oil behind on the glass. Reminiscent of Dark Lord. The carbonation is irrelevant with this huge full body.

Drinkability: This beer is a nightcap. In fact you could skip dinner and just eat this as your meal. It is very tasty and I would like an entire bomber to myself. After that I am going to sleep. It won't take much more.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,556 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Bold roasty flavour, almost wafting several feet. Some material head. Dark black. Very full mouthfeel, breakfast in the glass. A prominent sourness, yet well balanced by caramel maltiness yet not too sweet, cocoa, creamy milk chocolate, nutty and cherry and drinkable. Understated carbonation.

Outstanding RIS, oatmeal stout, beer thanks to Aofoxxy. I left one glass for 24 hours for my buddy and he thougt it was good even then. (430 characters)

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Notes from a tasting I uncovered while cleaning. This was Alefest Columbus '07.

Pours a rich dark color with a dark tan colored bubbly head. Head quickly died down to leave the black as night colored stout in my glass. Smell brings out the toasted malt, and coffee aromas. The taste is where I really loved this one. Smooth, rich, creamy, cocoa and toasted malt that I really enjoyed. Mouth is medium bodied and smooth and made for a very enjoyable drink. I actually went back and got a second. I was very impressed with this one! (533 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

I’d like to thank SPLITGRIN for sending me this interesting beer.

Pours very dark, very thick and with little to no foam, no matter how high I poured the bottle from to try and create some. The aroma is just like a well crafted RIS should smell like: roasted and chocolate malts, coffee and vanilla notes, very clean and intense. Time to taste this bad boy. It’s a deceptive beer I’ll say. Deceptive in the way that it shows hardly any carbonation and yet once you take a sip of this your mouth tingles from it. It’s a BIG beer. The coffee is intense and also the chocolate and roasted malts, but the only drawback is that the alcohol is noticeable enough to worry me if I’ll be able to finish this bomber while I’m getting sleepy. As the beer warms up the alcohol seems to overpower in the aroma. The mouthfeel is rich and velvety only a bit too much carbonation. The more I sip it the more I get the alcohol in the taste and aroma which reminds me more and more of liquor, which I find that hard to tolerate now. The biggest drawback of this beer, for my taste is the strong alcohol presence. This beer is just not for me, but at least I got to try it. (1,165 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

Appearance:
This beer is dark, black with a rich chestnut head even though from a rough pour not much head is produced. Since the head is a little weak there's little retention and lacing to speak of.

Smell:
The first thing I picked up was a stinging alcohol presence which is a little surprising since generally speaking 9% is pretty easy to bury, especially in rich malts. Aside from the rough alcohol there's big scents of coffee and strawberry fruit snacks. Overall the scent has a good potency which has been missing in some recent beers I've had.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The coffee subsides in the flavor giving way to more of the candy cherry and strawberry notes. The malts come across in more of a bitter dark chocolate kind of way and there's a healthy dose of oatmeal which lends a substantial amount of viscosity to the beer. The alcohol has become a bit more subdued but it's still apparent as a brief astringent tinge towards the end of the drink. The finish is Ovaltine like and carries that flavor in to the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
This is a decent stout but it doesn't play well to my flavor preference for stouts (it's a little too dark and rich) and as such I'm not finding it very downable. I don't know, I just got done with my daily run an hour ago so maybe it's just not refreshing enough at the moment but either way I'm not feeling it.

Bottom Line:
Another pretty good beer from Hoppin' Frog, a brewery I'm coming to like more and more. If you're in to really rich stouts then this would be the one for you. I'm looking forward to revisiting this beer during the winter, perhaps an aged bottle as I feel this beer could benefit from some rounding of the rough edges. (1,707 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Black, thick, syrupy looking with very little head (what there was was very dark colored) and very little carbonation.

Roasty, coffee, sweet aroma with some vanilla notes as it warmed. Nothing stood out, though.

Flavor was sweet and malty, roasty and finished with an almost sourish, bitter hop finish. Fairly complex, though not the most pleasing RIS taste I've had.

Mouthfeel was very thick, syrupy, but quite smooth on the palate. A little to syrupy for me, and the flavors were just not balanced and harmonious to make me love it. (543 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A pitch black color, with a dark brown colored head forming, about an inch thick. Visually this beer looks thick, almost like oil. The scent of sweet malt, with chocolate and coffee fragrances, plus the sweet fragrance of oatmeal. That is followed by a dried fruit, mostly currants and raisons, there is the slightest twinge of alchol at the end. The malt and oatmeal starts at the front, then a coffee bitterness hits midway, then it has a bit of a citrus twange at the back of the palate. The oil look is deceiving, when it hits the mouth it is a lighter feel at the front and rolls to the back, gain weight to its texture along the way. There is a bit of warming feel of alchol at the end. This a very, very good beer, the usual suspects one would find in imperial stout, but the edition of oatmeal makes it sweeter and smoother. This just beckons one to drink this beer, a great sipping beer. (896 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Reminds me of chocolate syrup, thin dark head matching the dark beer appearance, but thick taste and mouth consistency. Not just a nice chocolate but a good dark belgium chocolate with caramel, not to sweet, with a little coffee after taste. Wants to be drunk slowly and enjoyed. (279 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks goes out to trep for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a deep black color, some carbonation, tiny fizzy tannish head, some oil slicks were left behind. The nose is malty, roasted, slightly oaked, tons of toffee/coffee/caramel. The taste is malty/roasted, big big toffee/coffee/caramel flavour, YUMMY! The alcohol is hidden pretty well, a slight dry/bitter finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an awesome RIS, highly recommended. I will have to try some of the other offerings from this brewery. (511 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from the 22 oz bomber ($6.99 at Jungle Jim's) into a pint glass to produce a thick 1" layer of dark tan foam over an opaque ebony liquid. The lacing on the glass, as I drink, is probably the thickest lacing I've ever seen!

The aroma was very pungent... sweet caramel and dark chocolate.

The taste: WOW! a GREAT RIS! The first thing to hit me is a nice warming sweetness. Lots of dark chocolate and warm malt. What have I gotten myself into here?.... This is so rich and flavorful that I'm questioning my ability to finish the bomber on my own! Well, I'll take my time and thoroughly enjoy this one! The taste continues to produce many sensations as I drink. There is a bitterness in the finish that is like a woodsy, charcoal finish.... GREAT BALANCE of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great for a RIS.... thick, robust, chewey, low carbonation. Mouth coating and aftertaste will be with me for quite some time.

Drinkability: HEY!... this is a Russian Imperial Stout.... 9.4% abv! You're not going to sit down and have 3 bombers of this by yourself! But for the style.... it's RIGHT ON! This is a beer that drinks like a MEAL!... in fact.... that's my LUNCH for today. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... go out and find this and have one for yourself... half a pint to go.... I.... can... make.... it...OK... this is my new REFERENCE RIS... formerly Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout.... This one knocked Brooklyn off it's pedestal... It was VERY CLOSE.... but I think this one wins.... Just for kicks.... I should do a side-by-side comparison some day.

All 4.5's for this one.... I must leave room at the top for another beer to come along and dethrone this one... (1,670 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for this treat.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours an absolute midnight black with a fluffy two finger brown head that definitely takes its time to die down to a nice layer that lasts throughout. Stickiness is amazing, all over the sides of the glass. Smell, now this is how an Imperial Stout should smell. Sweet toasted oat is what mostly dominates the nose followed by a milk chocolate mixed with brown sugar. A nice roasted nut smell and a tiny hint of alcohol seem to tingle the nose as well. Taste is a bit of a shock. Lots of smokey, pitch black french roast coffee off the tongue first thing followed by a very woody/caramel malt. Finish and aftertaste is a bit sweeter, luckily, with a nice oatmeal and sugar flavor. I really didn't expect the taste of this one to be so smokey. Mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied with minimal carbonation. Big warming sensation while it slides down the throat. Warming comes from the alcohol but it isn't overwhelming by any means. Somewhat tough to finish a bomber by myself, I recommend sharing with a friend. (1,090 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.9%

Acquired via trade from jpm30, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep, dark black color with a thin brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thin but dense lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of coffee, chocolate, oats, dark malts and a touch of dark fruit.

T: The taste is full of roasted coffee & oats, smoky malts, dark chocolate, toasted oats some dark fruit and an ever-so-slight alcohol burn. The beer has a very mild hops presence but it’s stronger than you would expect in the style. There’s a very good balance for an RIS when most are usually overly sweet. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Very smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily for a beer with 9.40% ABV, not as filling as most stouts, excellent representation of style, this is a damn good beer that you could either knock back 2-3 bombers if you’re looking to pound a big stout or just sit back and sip slowly. (1,078 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep dark black color with a nice sized brown head, that settles into a tan color.

Smells of dark roasted malts, brown sugars, oatmeal, bitter chocolate, and espresso. Very nice nose!

Tastes of bitter chocolates, the hops are surprisingly strong here. I've sat on the bottle for about 4 months, and it still has a very bitter hop flavor. There are some burnt sugar flavors, and some oatmeal notes as well.

Mouthfeel is nice, it is full and thick in the mouth. A bit prickly from the carbonation.

Drinkability is good. A nice example of the style, but not quite in my top five, but still quite tasty and potent.

Bottle courtesy of nlmartin, thanks again! (676 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Received from nlmartin as part of BC2. Thanks Nate!
Pretty much black with a thin, dark brown head. The fine bubbles showed fair retention and some lacing. Looked pretty thick from the pour. Roasty coffee aroma, rich maltiness, caramel, nuts, chocolate, vinous fruit, and mild alcohol - quite nice. Relatively low bitterness when balanced against the huge caramel character. Roasted coffee flavours sat on the back of the palate, and notes of sour cherry and dark chocolate filled out the middle. Kind of doughy with mild alcohol flavour throughout. Full/heavy bodied with low carbonation, quite creamy and palate coating. A little slick with a bit of of tannin dryness. Very tasty. Well balanced alcohol and solid flavours make this a smooth and easy drink. (758 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Beer poured out of a bomber dark black and thick like oil. Very little head that reduces to nothing quickly.

S - Aromas of coffee, chocolate, dark fruits, boozy alcohol and a bitter roasted malt.

T - Big coffee flavor with dark chocolate and bitter malt. Notes of dark fruit (cherry and plum?). Very nice, deep, complex Impy Stout flavors.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, just like you would expect.

D - Pretty drinkable considering the style and high alcohol content.

Very good Impy Stout. I would definately buy this again. This will be a regular beer for me once the weather cools. (606 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

a: Comes out the 22 looking like used motor oil and a near nonexistent head, of which little there is soon disappears.

s: Coffee roasted barley upfront with aromas of creamy oatmeal. Sugary, booze infused dark cocoa. Concentrated dark cherries soaked in whiskey and dipped in bittersweet chocolate. Figs and molasses. Dripping with sweet, burnt sugars and cocoa. Rich, aromatic tobaccos. Subtle, dark and earthy pine-hops.

m: Loooow, extremely smooth carbonation and a luscious, thick mouthfeel that's not overbearing. Nice.

t: Oh man...even in the NC summer heat this thing is delicious. Big, smooth roasted barley flavors combine with delicious toasted oatmeal and cream. Dark, sugary fruits lie just beneath the balance of roast and are soon followed by an earthy hop flavor. The roast and hops dry the finish, and end with a woody, smoky note. Very deep in character.

d: very enjoyable

from mcallister for my anny bombing (940 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Yes! Hoppin' Frog is in South Bend! Pours really dark, black. Walnut colored head. Odor is chocolately, fruity and boozy. Smells fairly inviting and like it has the ability to make me drunk. Taste is a big smack of bitter chocolate and even more bitter coffee. a little harsh, probably a little young. Somewhat of a plummy, pruney taste as well. Velvety and full-bodied and thick. Yeah, its a bit harsh and overly bitter for how i like my RIS, but it might even out a bit with age. (481 characters)

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Nearly jet black, opaque, chocolate milk colored head. Hearty aroma of chocolate, oats and roated malts. Huge flavors, like a liquid dessert. Chocolate, dark roasted malts, some coffee. Very sweet at first, but just enough hop bitterness catches up and ends up being well balanced. This brew has layers. Feel is silky smooth, full body, slightly dry finish. Good drinkability despite girth and high abv. Overall, a deliciously heavy beer with bold flavors that ends up just slightly too sweet for Imp Stout perfection. (558 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip. This Imperial stout poured a thick, opaque black color with a one finger thick dark tan head that slowly faded away, leaving behind some excellent lace. The aroma consisted of creamy dark chocolate, vanilla, and some faint molasses notes. A very big, robust aroma. Beautiful!!! The flavor did not disappoint. Very roasty and chocolatey. There are also notes of coffee and spices. The mouthfeel was definately full-bodied and a bit oily. Very minimal carbonation. A very impressive Imperial stout from Hoppin’ Frog. Highly recommended! (575 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- A pitch black, creamy liquid flows from the bottle into the glass. A hard pour is required to get some head out of this. The head that does form is brown and settles to a thin ring around the top of the liquid. Looks so menacing sitting there in the glass.

S- Sweet chocolate, raisins. Very rich and sweet smelling. A little smokey as well. Some cinnamon. I get hints of grape and maybe a little bubble gum. Very aromatic and complex.

T- Wow, this is something. Very chocolaty and smokey. Booze is noticeable. Surprisingly hoppy in the mouth as well. A little cinnamon. Very complex. It stays on your breath for quite some time- just how I like it. This is a little different for the style, but I am digging this.

M- Perfect. This thing is thick and creamy, but with the right amount of carbonation to really allow the flavors to become pronounced. Not astringent or drying by any means.

D- This brew stands up there with the best of the RIS's. It may not be my favorite, but damn, I am impressed.

Thanks to eyebrews for the recommendation. I would have never thought to pick this up on my beer run to Toledo without him. (1,142 characters)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery