B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -64.6%

1.75/5  rDev -58.7%

1.9/5  rDev -55.2%

A: Light motor oil. Pours just a skim of light brown head. Really kinda stagnant and flat looking. Even the small amount of head doesn't go down or change at all, like pond water.

S: Smells like a BMC lager at first wiff. Then it smells like very astringent Amaretto, with some nare burning varnish. Fucking gross.

T: Pretty much the same as the smell only slightly masked by some insignificant roastiness and english style bittering.

M: Putrid. Like swishing and swallowing chemicals.

O: Definitely something off with this bottle. It was just shy of flat and clearly smells like varnish. Can't apologize for hating this so much. Ends in a drain pour after 3 sips.

2.13/5  rDev -49.8%

OK. I'm not one to review a beer that hundreds have already acclaimed but the bottle I'm currently drinking does not equate to BAs general rating.

The nose has hints of the addition of cheap fruit syrup and the taste is the same. Too sweet. Am I just not getting it?

2.2/5  rDev -48.1%

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

(A)- Pours a thick pitch black color. Some brown bubbles, but otherwise no head formation.

(S)- A rich roasted component with a rather potent nutty peanut character. Hints of molasses and raisin.

(T)- Same as the smell. A weird nutty peanut aspect completely dominates what seems to be some sweet raisin and molasses behind it.

(M)- A bit high of a carbonation level with an off-putting peanut flavor and smell.

(D)- Very disappointed with this one. The very off-putting peanut flavor could be the beginnings of an infection, but I cannot be sure. This must be a fluke, because this seems to get rave reviews, but I am not seeing it with what is in front of me. I will re-review to be sure in the future.

2.73/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark jet black. No head, just the thinnest tan ring around the edge. No lacing.
Smells like booze. Minimal other aromas, maybe a hint of roasted malt and sweetness.

Taste is super thin, watery, mild sweetness, molasses and alcohol. Nothing lingers. Really disappointing. As it warms it get bigger and has some chocolate and coffee flavors, but still unusually thin and watery.
Thin mouthfeel. Very watery, alcohol is prevalent but not something that gets in the way.

Big let down. Maybe the most watery stout ever. Not much flavor either. I don't get what went wrong here. I sipped it, tasted little. Let it warm to room temp and still got a watery, boozy miss that only got a hair more flavor and body...

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

Pouring like syrup, this pitch black molasses concoction offers a continually foaming, dark brown head. The cap dissipates to a thin but solid layer. Though it initially looks a bit on the thick side, it's undoubtedly stout.

I smell that maple syrup I saw. It's sweet malts with a spoonful of oatmeal. It does smell a bit "Russian," a flavor I have yet to pinpoint in origin (I don't want to read the appropriate link on this site; I'll figure it out myself). I'm guessing it's an alcohol component. The aroma is nothing unique but, again, it's solid.

My senses did not fool me: it's too syrupy sweet and thick. I want a potent elixir when I reach for a RIS, but this is like syrup with oatmeal (not oatmeal with syrup). Certainly I will flirt with hyperbole, but this ain't far off from pouring rubbing alcohol in my Aunt Jemima. The oatmeal in this imperial oatmeal is relatively subtle to and in the background of the candy-like sweetness. It's not that it tastes bad but, still, I don't want to keep drinking it. I poured some of the big bottle into a pint glass; it's better served in a sampler.

I guess the sweetness feels good, but it's tart. With most big oatmeal stouts, it's fair to consider them like breakfast. This BORIS is sweeter than my beloved Danish rolls. I keep detecting the oatmeal, but barely...thank goodness it's there because it's an alcoholic sweet tart without it.

For such a highly acclaimed beverage, I'm disappointed. Maybe my Southern style sorely swings with Hoppin' Frog, but I've yet to really love one. All I've had come in big ol' bottles and, understandably, you expect more from those. I'm glad I tried it only to know it, but I will not be selecting another.

2.83/5  rDev -33.3%

i dont know. this was just not as good as i was expecting, gold medal gabf 2011? what do they know? hehe.

black, maybe the most black beer ive seen, real dark brown head. i liked the smoothness of the oats but my problem with the appearance and mouthfeel is the beer quickly went to a still, lifeless state in the glass. not any better in my convenience store coffee cup either. same thing i dont like about southern tier stouts. if you look like this, you better be samichlaus and up around 15% abv. sorry, no excuse for that.

big aroma of chocolate, the best part of the beer. thought i would absolutely love this, oh well.

my issues with the taste are, can a beer be too dark roasted, black malted? i didnt think so, but i know better now. this beer is way over the top with the darkness, the hops tried to break thru, but failed. really just tastes like bad, burnt, black coffee or espresso.

oh no, the darkness, the blackness. come to the light. come to the light.

i never need to try this again, obviously.

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours deep brown and thick, looks black in the glass. small tan head fades fast. pretty.

chocolate, licorice, raisin and a bit of booze. really sweet nose, fruity, almost cherry? I want some bitterness to balance this out, and I'm not getting it.

I am sad to say I expected more from this beer. It's just too sweet. Licorice, a tiny bt of coffee, some chocolate, booze, and again, that cherrylike sweetness. weird. 2.5. It's good up front, and then it starts to taste a bit like cough syrup.

Feel is good. Smooth, heavy and slick. Minimal carbonation.

Drinkability is not high for me.

I'll finish this, but I won't have another. For those who like cherry and licorice flavors, or like your RISes on the sweet end, this might be worth a try. For those who prefer roastier, more bitter RISes, find a beer-loving friend to taste this with if you simply must try it.

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

A: This beer pours velvet black. Even the head on this thing is dark! It's completely opaque, and the head is a thin dark brown. The head doesn't last long, and leaves only a ring with little foam bubble lily-pads.

S: I could smell it from my desk before even getting near it. It has a coffee smell. It smells like roasted nuts, and I get a bit of alcohol smell. It doesn't smell bad, so I'd put it about average.

T: Immediately I get a dark herbal and fruity flavor. Similar to figs and licorice. It has a lot of sweetness and has a roasted flavor but isn't bitter. There is definitely alcohol flavor in this one. It's not all that impressive, but there is some complexity to it. It probably just needs to age more before I drink it.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty good, it has a decently smooth and sweet character to coat the mouth. The light bitterness hangs out for a bit but goes away quickly. One of the main detracting feelings can be attributed to alcohol burn.

O: Overall I thought it was an alright beer. I probably wouldn't get it again if looking for an oatmeal stout or a stout of any kind. After being aged it would probably be a lot nicer, but there are many beers out there that taste much better straight from the beer store, out of my fridge, and into a glass.

2.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Pure black color, but sadly no head formation. Aroma is somewhat mild, but I do get the normal RIS notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and even a light cherry/raspberry fruit. Big flavor with a really big blast of alcohol heat in the finish. Mouthfeel is disappointing; not only is it somewhat thin for the style, but I’m not getting any of the creamy/silkiness you normally get when oats are added to the mash. I was really looking forward to that component of the beer. Those complaints aside, the flavor was still good and I enjoyed the beer. It just didn’t live up to the hype and my expectations.

2.95/5  rDev -30.4%

Way more hoppy than expected -- ruins what could have been an exceptional beer in my opinion. I can taste some interesting flavors in the background but have a difficult time enjoying them with the hop pucker coming on so strongly. For reasons unclear to me, the Barrel Aged version seems less hoppy and more enjoyable.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery