B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
mmulebarn

rxeight

09-13-2013 17:12:32 | More by rxeight
fmccormi

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a pry-off 22oz bottle to my Cigar City snifter. Not dating visible anywhere on the bottle or label, but my best guess is that this bottle is about a year old. The store I got it from received one shipment, I believe, of Hoppin’ Frog about a year ago, so that’s my estimate.

Appearance (3.5): Head is minimal, but the color of chocolate milk while it sticks around. Fades quickly to leave a couple of sudsy spots on the sides of the glass, but that’s about it. The body is black-black-black, not even turning reddish at the corners, which I dig. Just wish there was more head going on here.

Smell (2.0): Very tame aroma here. Wish there was a lot more. What’s there recalls dark fruits, sweet molasses and some very faint char. Some chocolate?

Taste (4.0): Following the nose, there’s a strong malty component in the background that’s like dark stone fruits—dates, raisins, prunes—mulled in warm molasses. A bit sweet in that regard, though there’s a lightly bitter coffee note that comes around and cuts through it, which is nice. The oats really are quite noticeable though, smoothing everything over and even helping to mask the alcohol (which is present, too). Light, bittersweet chocolate character floats around everything else going on. The more this warms, the more I enjoy what’s going on.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Nice and thick, viscous but not syrupy, but the carbonation is incredibly subdued—just a light tingle towards the end.

Overall (3.5): This beer feels like it could be great. Maybe it needs to be fresher. Maybe it really benefits from barrel aging. But right now, at about one year on the bottle (at my best estimate), it’s relatively smooth and subdued but not necessarily for the better. I’m not into the harshness of a lot of Russian Imperials, so the “Imperial Oatmeal” idea really speaks to me, but I think there are better examples out there. Good beer, above average, but not a stunner.

05-06-2012 05:03:14 | More by fmccormi
beercar

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad, not great. Not worth the price. Can't understand why a 22 oz. Bomber of beer made 1 state away is $9.99 locally and the much tastier, higher ABV, Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck Imperial Stout made in North Carolina is $1 more for a 6 pack of bottles. This is not a bad beer, just an overpriced one. Color is as any Imperial should be. Head is almost non existant. No lacing noted. Sweet chocolate, dark fruit and coffee are the overriding flavors. Does not do a good job of hiding the alcohol. This is its weakness and makes it much less drinkable than others. Average American Imperial.

11-24-2011 00:44:28 | More by beercar
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%

BORIS has a dark body that doesn't allow any light to travel through it. The head is a deep brown color, and it is at least two fingers tall. Retention and lacing are both pretty good.

The aroma has loads of chocolate, coffee, black malt, light roasted notes and malt sweetness.

I think I like how this one smells more than it tastes. Up front is a good dose of chocolate, with a moderate amount of coffee; the chocolate definitely dominates. Next comes a bit of black malt that mixes with a sweet, molasses or toffee flavor. A hint of dark fruit lurks underneath the malt base. The finish is where things go off course for me a little bit. A big American hop profile adds more bite or bitterness than flavor. The hops are followed by a huge alcohol warmth and a bit of a harsh alcohol flavor, which makes me less enthusiastic to take my next sip. The malt up front is so good, but it's always followed by that booze.

Although the heat and alcohol detract from how BORIS feels, it is still a full-bodied and creamy beer that feels pretty good.

Less booze and a little bit less hops and this one could rock. The malt base is pretty good. I'm guessing plenty of people love this the way it is, but it isn't quite there for me yet. Although BORIS is Certainly a pretty good beer.

04-05-2011 00:01:45 | More by Hojaminbag
vandemonian

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout is a big imperial stout that spent a bit too long in the fermentation vessel for my taste.

A: Deep black colour and a good brown head that lasts quite well. 4.5

S: Malty and strong yeast autolysis. 3

T: Malty with a sharp coffee flavour and yeast autolysis. This puppy was a little overcooked for my taste (i.e. spent too long fermenting). 3.5

M: Foamy and smooth. 4.5

O: 3.5

11-18-2012 05:44:44 | More by vandemonian
jsanford

Georgia

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Inky black with a small mocha head. Minimal lacing.

S - Roasted malt, coffee and a surprising amount of hops for such a dark stout.

T - Bitter chocolate, expresso, dark malts and more citrus-y hops. This is one of the hoppiest stouts I've tasted.

M - Very smooth and silky with a nice "prickly" carbonation. Does run a bit "hot" though.

D - Fairly easy to drink, just not sure if I'd want to. It was certainly smooth and creamy, but I just found this to be too hoppy for my taste. I like my stouts roasty and chocolately and the like. Other reviews mention nothing about the hop level, so perhaps I'll have to revisit this to see if it was an off bottle. Disappointing.

08-18-2010 15:37:37 | More by jsanford
AdamBear

3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting!

A-black, thin tan head

S-strong dark roasted malts. a tad boozey smelling. smells like quite a serious stout!

T-comes in with really deep and strong roasted malts. there's a large booziness of coffee and chocolate malts much like many of the imperial stout that I've had. the oats don't really come in til the after-taste along with some chocolate notes. overall, its a good imperial stout though i don't know if it compares to many of the others that i've tasted

M-low carbonation with a fairly dry finish

D-this is definitely a sipper and its not my stout of choice. the tastes do stay well but a whole bomber of this is just too much.

02-05-2011 05:15:06 | More by AdamBear
THEOPTIMATOR88

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes 08/28/11.

Thick, opaque black appearance, almost zero head and no retention. Aroma is chocolate coffee, oatmeal, and roasted notes. Nice smell. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, very enjoyable. Taste starts with chocolate, coffee, oatmeal with hints of leather, tobacco, and vanilla before finishing with a chalky bitterness. Overall, a barebones RIS but maybe I expected too much given friends recommendations and the rating on this site. The flavors are balanced nicely and complement each other minus the finish, which I don't think matched up to the rest of the present flavors. Didn't find much to distinguish it from the rest of the pack which is a bummer because I really wanted to like it. Just ok.

09-17-2011 23:05:39 | More by THEOPTIMATOR88
ccahoon22

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Pours very dark brown, close to black and almost syrup like. There was a very small head that dissipated within a few seconds.

S - Smells of sweets and coffee, with hints of chocolate and oatmeal.

T - The taste is somewhat like chocolate/cocoa but without the sweetness. Slightly bitter but not overpowering with a coffee consistency.

Notes - Overall this is a good beer but it didn't blow my socks off. I would have another but wouldn't rush to the store to buy one.

10-03-2010 18:12:09 | More by ccahoon22
tempest

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Yeah it's big and it's big and chocolaty, but I didn't find this to be a particularly outstanding. It appeared pitch black with a tan head in my pint glass. The aroma is a mix of cocoa and burnt grains. The oats contribute to a very smooth flavor, but I'm thrown off by the feel and balance between what seems to be citrus hops and chocolate malts. They just aren't working. It makes for a less than ideal feel, but this beer is still very drinkable for it's size and weight.

02-07-2008 16:05:06 | More by tempest
portia99

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Revisiting this as part of an 8 beer, blind imperial stout tasting - re-reviewed on 5/14/11

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a New Belgium globe.

A - Clear, nearly black body with a low head with a cappuccino coloring that dies quickly and leaves behind only a low collar and a smattering of lace on the glass.

S - Floral, perfumey, berries, bit of chocolater. Almost raspberry-ish and a bit of lemony, citrusy aromas too.

T - Chocolatey - mostly milky with some darker bitter chocolate mixed in. Berry like sweetness and some hoppy bitterness. Low coffee-like and dark roasted malt bitterness too.

M - Lightish medium body with a lively light carbonation. Hoppy and bitter roast throughout

O - OK - middle of the tasting group so far. Not bad, not amazing. I recalled really liking this beer last time I had it, and we inserted this as a "control stout" into our tasting of mostly well hyped imperial stouts. Going in, we thought we might end up ranking this one very high in the group. Found that I was a bit let down and it didn't hold up to my memories. Body was a bit thin, not much roast/chocolate/coffee - fairly simple and low in complexity compared to the group.

05-16-2011 12:56:35 | More by portia99
tsatem

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter, thanks to calbertb2. No apparent bottled on/best by date to be found.

A: Pours black with a dark ruby-like tinge around the edges. Two finger, extremely active bubbly head that fades away quickly with an immediate amount of decent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, licorice, cinnamon, sweet chocolate. More alcohol than I was expecting. Very earthy, some smoke.

T: Actually fairly bitter up front, the hops are certainly present. Coffee/espresso, fades to sweet malts. Something slightly medicinal and off-putting (phenolic?) mixed with some berry aromas. Strong alcohol presence at the back end with a nice roasty oatmeal finish.

M: Low carbonation, fairly thin, but syrupy and oh so sticky.

O: This was pretty lacking, but I had pretty high expectations - the basic flavors were there, but they didn't seem to work together so well, the negative flavors and alcohol burn detracted from them, and the mouthfeel was really pretty thin. By no means a bad beer, but nothing too special either.

04-03-2011 02:38:00 | More by tsatem
redsand22

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance - pitch black, very litte head

Smell - malty, chocolate, coffee, oatmeal

Taste - dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. Picked up some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - low to Medium... like my stouts to be a bit

Drinkability - decent, better then some, many Id prefer over it. I'd give it another try.

01-20-2011 02:17:03 | More by redsand22
CampusCrew

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

I'm sure this was better than my expereince as I did a side by side comparision with marshall zuzkov and it's blowing it away. I'l try again on its own.

appearance: deep dark black, nearly ebony, loaded head and creamy froth. little lacign and froth did not hold well.

smell: vanilla and uncomfortable smell. I bathe my dog in oatmeal shampoo and it smells the same. Unfortuate thinking about it as I was drinking.

taste: again the weird oatmeal smell/taste and vs the zuzkov kille dthis beer for me. roasted flavors mixed with vanilla. not the best stout ever by far

mouthfeel: full bodied

drinkability: possilbly an unfiar assestment. I will try again. I have another bottle for later.

01-10-2010 17:54:31 | More by CampusCrew
aforbes10

Iowa

3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Yes! Hoppin' Frog is in South Bend! Pours really dark, black. Walnut colored head. Odor is chocolately, fruity and boozy. Smells fairly inviting and like it has the ability to make me drunk. Taste is a big smack of bitter chocolate and even more bitter coffee. a little harsh, probably a little young. Somewhat of a plummy, pruney taste as well. Velvety and full-bodied and thick. Yeah, its a bit harsh and overly bitter for how i like my RIS, but it might even out a bit with age.

07-11-2007 21:23:28 | More by aforbes10
cjgator3

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark black color with a light tan head that quickly disappears.

S- The aroma is very nice. Dark roasted malts, chocolate and some alcohol in the aroma.

T- The taste like the aroma is dark roasted malts with notes of roasted coffee beans and a warming finish from the alcohol.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount if carbonation.

D- Overall, BORIS is a good RIS that is definitely worth a try but there are many others that I would choose over this one.

10-17-2009 02:32:55 | More by cjgator3
gameface23

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours jet black with burnt amber edges when held up to a light. There was a very small, khaki colored head that dissipated very quickly. The smell was average for an imperial stout- creamy milk chocolate and roasted malt, but nothing stood out too much. There was one point in the sip that did have a nice roasted bitterness, but transitioned into an almost cloyingly sweet finish. The mouthfeel was nice and creamy. Drinkability was average. It's a sipper.

01-02-2009 02:22:55 | More by gameface23
milesfan76

3.6/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Since I live in Ohio, I'm almost ashamed that this is the first time I've tried anything from this brewery. Oh well...

A: Pours black as night. About a finger thick tan head that doesn't last very long.

S: The first thing I smell is alcohol. A little bit of malts and chocolate follow.

T: I have to say not a very good job masking the alcohol. I realize it's 9.4%, but still. I've had plenty of beers with higher ABV's where I couldn't tell. Pretty good otherwise- roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Not much in the way of hops.

M: Nice thick mouthfeel, carbonation pretty good (surprising given the modest head).

D: As I said before, I've had beers with higher ABV's that mask them better than this. Those beers I could be tricked into drinking too many- this one, although I enjoyed, I knew from the beginning would be my only one.

Pretty good stout, just not a great one. I will have to try more of this brewery's offerings.

03-01-2008 19:51:12 | More by milesfan76
Glennlawless

3.61/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into 12oz glass

A- Poured a tar black- head starts at an inch and goes to nothing. No lacing at all.
S- has an oak-like, hardwood smell to it. You get some of that whiskey coming through as well.
T- little hints of coffee and chocolate coming through. Towards middle you get a big punch of the whiskey- you can really tell this is a barrel aged brew. Finishes with a touch of whiskey and then leaves you with bitter dark fruits. Fairly smooth.
M- very silky and thick brew. Good feel to it.

Overall this is a tasty brew. Very high abv and you can tell after the first swig- Drink it slowly and enjoy it.

09-05-2013 00:55:46 | More by Glennlawless