Join our email list →

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.40% ABV

Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,014 | Hads: 2,631
4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz (cellared for at least 6 months) ... I can't remember who I got this one from ... but if you're the person, please contact me so I can edit the review. Shared with trading partner... mine from my New Belgium snifter. Reviewed last night .. but I kept really good notes.

1" very dark brown head.. looks like the cap on an espresso... No light is making it through this one ... no lacing.

Aroma is coffee and semisweet chocolate .. some cinnamon notes ... traditional roasted smells .. but smoother... spicy alcohol as it warms.

Flavor is reminiscent of a thick extremely rich Mexican hot chocolate ... or just a tab of Mexican chocolate melted and poured into my mouth.. French Roast with a thick lingering finish. Fairly viscous .. not much carbonation.

Very tasty but I would really only be able to handle one glass .. maybe a bomber .. Simply too lush ... This is definitely a special occasion beer for me, even if I had ready access.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

First of all, thanks to WVBeerGeek for the trade! Impossible to find this one out here in Oregon, thanks bud!

Shared this 22oz bottle with my lovely lady. Pours a dark brown/black. Super thick with litte-to-no light coming through. Pretty flimsy head.

Fruity and hoppy coffee in the nose.

Nice sweetness at first, and then a dry bitter coffee smack. Once it's noce and warm, there is a good alcohol bite there too. Nice creamy blend of vanilla and chocolate, like a liquid sundae!

Not finding any oatmeal in there, but i'll take their word for it. Nice earthiness though.

Thanks Tony! Good call!

4.65/5  rDev +9.9%

Today marks my first St. Patrick's Day staying in since I turned 21. B.O.R.I.S. will surely make a fantastic consolation prize.

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Victory becker a thick, slick, syrupy motor-oil black. This is one of the absolute most blackest beers I've ever seen. The head is latte brown but is quite small. It settles to a thin collar and a few splotchy bubbles.

SMELL: The aroma is filled with all the decadent smell you'd want from a big stout like this. Chocolate, coffee, brown sugar, licorice, and raisin. Though these aromas are huge in richness, they lack the intensity that one would want. However, as the beer warms, the strength increases immesely. Hop aroma is at even lower levels - nearly non-existent.

TASTE: The beer starts with a dessert-like chocolate quality to it with coffee, licorice, and some dark fruits coming along for the ride. Across the palate, it becomes slightly nutty as the beer begins to balance itself out. And it almost gets there through the finish as the first hints of hops show themselves in the form of very light citrus.

MOUTHFEEL: Thick and chewy yet markedly silky smooth. Combined with a carbonation level on the lower end, this can't get any better.

DRINKABILITY: This goes down so damn easy, it's scary. The alcohol is completely missing from the taste. It doesn't beat this.

Wow, this one far exceeded my expectations despite it's already high marks. Let me tell you - this ain't no Guinness nor should anyone mistake it for such, but I'd definitely prefer a B.O.R.I.S. for St. Patrick's Day.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Big thanks to Miketd for the bottle!
Pours a solid dark black with a nice sized creamy but somewhat short lived tan head into a snifter. Smell was big and of oatmeal sweetness, dark roasted malt and I got a big fire roasted marshmallow gooeyness out of it as well. Taste was also fantastic, very nice roasty character with oatmeal creaminess and chewiness making an obvious presence. Very full mouthfeel, and on the sweeter side of an imperial stout, which I tend to like. I got a big marshmallow like character in the taste as well and overall this was an amazing beer. The hint of alcohol that shows as it warms was pretty mild and unobtrusive.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%

I poured a 22 ounce capped bomber into a pint glass.

A: It poured a thick, black with a massive dark chocolate three finger sticky head. The head receded slowly and left an even cover of medium and small bubbles over the liquid and thick chunky lacing that lined the entire glass.

S: The initial aroma was dominated by a rich, dark milk chocolate smell. Then I picked up roasted malts and light whifs of hops.

T: It tasted of dark malts, oatmeal, dark yeasty bread, dark fruits (plums and raisins), and milk and bitter bakers chocolate. The alcohol is well hidden.

M: It was medium-bodied with well balanced flavors and a clean warm finish.

D: Full flavored, balanced and rich. Smooth and creamy with a pleasant warm and clean finish. Wonderful, powerful, complex stout...a joy to drink.

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

Came to me with a one finger dark mocha head atop a dark black brew. Smelled fairly sweeter than others I have had of the style. There was a lot of sweet malts and a sweeter chocolate than most. There was also coffee and some dark fruit flavors. The taste was again very sweet with more of a creamy milk chocolate rather than mild dark chocolate. There were hints of coffee and vanilla as well as some licorice and lactose. This was a very well balanced imperial stout that had a good creamy mouthfeel and just the right carbonation. This brew went down smooth but I think I just drinking it fairly quickly because they were bringing out my Heavyweight Perkuno's Hammer. Overall though I could drink this all night and will definitely be picking up a bottle or two next week.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Oozes out of the bottle a positively inky pitch black with a very creamy/pillowy dark tan head. Black. Black. Black.

S: Strong aromas of dark chocolate, toasted oat, spices, licorice, roasted malt, and sweet dark fruit.

T: Strong chocolate and dark roasted malt with sweet dark fruit, cocoa, toffee, bitter hops, dark roast coffee, with a healthy whack of fruity/boozy alcohol.

M: Very full and creamy and quite viscous. Spicy and sweet. Chocolate, dark fruit, and hops in the long and sticky finish.

D: Everything works in concert to help keep the alcohol from getting too far out of hand. That being said, my cheeks and ears were pretty warm as I finished my glass of this. Good stuff and very enjoyable.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

A thanks to Dana (Tayner) for sending this to me as the winner of one of her many LIF's as of late.

A: Deep dark black with hints of brown. Pours with a rather wimpy mocha head that dies rather quickly. There is no lacing but an oily film does coat the glass.

S: Nice roasted malt characters right up front. Charcoal and smoke noted right from the start along with hints of anise. Notes of chocolate can be picked up as well.

T: Wow B.O.R.I.S is infact bodacious. This is one big beer. this is big, full flavor. Tons of charred right up front in the taste. Hints of chocolate come at you in the middle as does the anise. The booze comes in at the finish along with a tinge of bitter hops.

M: Nice and thick full bodied brew. This one is almost chewy, if you baked it you could pass it off as some nice dark chocolate brownies. Perfect level of carbonation with an oilness that coats the mouth and throat.

D: Very drinkable brew but one bomber is enough.

Overall: Thanks Tayner for the try. This is one beer that I have wanted to try for sometime and I enjoyed it. Tons of big bold flavors make it a winner. It is not the best RIS in the world but will hold its own against the big boys. Thanks for sharing this true Ohio gem.

4.31/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a: BORIS is damn near black but not quite. It pours with a medium sized mocha head; decent lace and retention.

s: Relatively mild roasty, almost charred, malts that smell of cocoa. The alcohol in moderately noticeable. Nice nose, but it's pretty one dimensional.

t: Wow, this is big, full flavored, and satisfying! The malts taste heavily roasted to the point of being bitter and a bit smokey.A nice semi-sweet chocolate flavor lingers for quite a while. The alcohol is barely discernible, but provides a welcome warming feeling.

m: Super thick and chewy with a fantasticly foamy carbonation. It has the texture of really good hot chocolate made with whole mlik instead of water.

d: This is a fantastic beer that I would love to have on a regular basis. I don't let price influence my drinkability score, but I must write the following. This stuff is over $70 a case for 12 bombers. Stoudt's Fat Dog is every bit as good and at a little more than half the price. I am glad I tried a bottle but I won't pay for more.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

22 oz bottle that I'm pouring into a Samuel Smith pint.

It pours thick like motor oil. Extremely black motor oil. This stout is so black, it seems to make the room around it darker. Atop the darkness is a thin, toasted mocha head.

Rich aroma. There's some roasted coffee in there, licorice, chocolate... all very potent.

The flavor profile does not let me down. Awesome notes of dark roasted coffee and pure chocolate. It's almost like a liqueur, except for the full body provided by the oatmeal. This could surely substitute for a meal or dessert at the very least.

The flavors and aromas here are very strong but not overpowering, making for a pleasant drinking experience. Highly recommended.

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

It pours a perfectly impassable, squid ink black. Two fat fingers of puffy hot chocolate brown head sink slowly to tannish froth. Sticky tiers of lacing striate the inside of the glass.

The aroma is an absolute refreshing breath of sweet, dried dark fruit, charred roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, anise, and dusky, earthy oatmeal. A muted intimation of hops falls before some hefty alcohol winds.

Upon sipping, with a clear emphasis in sipping, the roasted malt is thick and sweet with raisins and dates, as well as molasses and chocolate and brown sugar, along with an aptly burnt malt bite. Vanilla and a puff of soft smokiness precede an incorporated but sinewy flex of alcohol. A slowly clamping edge of hop bitterness aids the burnt grain in turning over a very crisp card. A vinous presence is dried by a long lingering clean stout finish. It delivers a lot of extreme goodness in a brassy and highly impressive fashion.

Full bodied, it's motor oil slinky and it leaves a dense yet cleansing impression on the palate when at last it deigns to flow on.

It's busy and complex, but it's also artfully blended into a thick, rich, ichorous brew. Sweet and bitter are glued fetchingly together with stripe of oaty happiness. It's the crisp mix that helps make the ABV a willing accomplice in the journey to fine drinkability and impending inebriation. Dark as night, it's a froggy delight, not to mention a croaking good time.

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

This pours like black ink with a head. Cool!

Smell contains bourbon and molasses, malts.

Taste is... Well, good and bad, but unfortunately I cannot get over the bad. There is nice rich sweet malts. yummy. But the alcohol flavor is just way too prominent - and it reminds me of generic vodka. Just too much edge. Ickey. So, the taste just fails me.

Mouthfeel isn't bad. Cold it is bubbly enough. As it warms it flattens quickly.

Finish is a bit harsh bitter, and it leaves a bit of an aftertaste.

I just am not screaming "give me another".

There are too many rich creamy RISs out there that do not have the alcohol bite to put this on the top of my list. I would not recommend this particular one.

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Since I live in Ohio, I'm almost ashamed that this is the first time I've tried anything from this brewery. Oh well...

A: Pours black as night. About a finger thick tan head that doesn't last very long.

S: The first thing I smell is alcohol. A little bit of malts and chocolate follow.

T: I have to say not a very good job masking the alcohol. I realize it's 9.4%, but still. I've had plenty of beers with higher ABV's where I couldn't tell. Pretty good otherwise- roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Not much in the way of hops.

M: Nice thick mouthfeel, carbonation pretty good (surprising given the modest head).

D: As I said before, I've had beers with higher ABV's that mask them better than this. Those beers I could be tricked into drinking too many- this one, although I enjoyed, I knew from the beginning would be my only one.

Pretty good stout, just not a great one. I will have to try more of this brewery's offerings.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to markgugs for this one.

Large capped bottle poured into a snifter.
I think this one is a bit too cold, since the dark brown head above the pitch black brew is rather small.
Very nice aroma, milk and chocolate, coffee, evolving into some vanilla oakiness with hints of bourbon. Interesting, this one is not barrel aged as far as I know...
Full bodied, thick but creamy, and the palate is bursting with milk and chocolate, evolving into a bourbon-like alcoholic warmth, a nice hoppy byte, and some coffee.
Very well done.

4.03/5  rDev -4.7%

22oz bomber, NO BS version 3.0 - notes found on laptop

Appearance: dark chocolate brown, creamy mocha head with strong retention

Smell: very nice, chocolatey, licorice, very roasty,

Taste: very creamy and smooth, dark chocolate, light espresso, roasty oatmeal,

Mouthfeel: very creamy, medium body

Drinkability: high

Appearance - Black. A semi-hard pour provided little more than a quater-inch of dark brown head, which dissipated pretty quickly.

Smell - Sweet and rich. Chocolate, toast and caramel. Pleasant.

Taste/mouthfeel - Sweet and milky with moderate roasty bitterness. Very chocolatey. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, though not actually very viscous. Low carbonation. Highly drinkable for an imperial stout.

Notes - Nice stuff. Not the best imperial stout around, but definitely a good one.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Received via trade.
Pitch black with a dark brown 3 finger sized head. Head recedes and holds tight at 1/4".
Interesting aroma. Roasted malts and lot's of fruit with cherries being the most prominant.
Deep super rich roasted malts with more hop flavors than is typical for the style. Again I find cherries to be a pretty bold flavor in this beer.
The mouthfeel makes this beer. Thick yet silky smooth.
Easy to drink and damn tasty. This is my first sample from Hoppin Frog and I am impressed.

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in a trade with Akorsak

Pours a oily jet black with just a bit of a dark mocha head that didn't stick around. Left oily dregs on the side of the glass. Aroma is roasted almost smoky malts up front with vanilla and almost a (call me crazy) banana pudding finish. Taste is big on the roasted flavors, bourbon, vanilla with a bit of cherry. Mouthfeel is full but dry and tasty. Not a whole lot of carbonation. This is very drinkable. I wish I could get some more.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a jet black syrupy looking liquid. It has a thin head with a mocha color to it.
Smells great. Strong with roasted malts with a great hint of caramel.
Sweet taste to start. Tastes of chocolate and caramel and then recedes to the burnt malts. No taste of alcohol.
Nice thickness to the mouthfeel. Very very smooth and pours directly from the front of your tongue to the back of the throat.
For the high ABV and dark drink the drinkability is amazing. So smooth and can't taste the alcohol going down. Great balance and taste all the way through.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Milk chocolate, 2-finger head with nice lacing. Licorice black, opaque espresso body.

Slightly alcoholic aroma and usual suspects of deep, rich malt roast and mix of floral/grassy hops.

Creamy, sweet oatmeal-raisin cookie with even some prune/plum tones. Alcohol is definitely there but well-blended with sugar and nice chicory finish.

This coats well and takes balance of all in excess - natural sweetness, hop bitterness and solid chocolatey, coffee malt.

This is a pleasure to savor-a perfect nightcap. Or a meal. Awesome.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Black as night- thick as motor oil. No head and not really any lacing. Some oil slick look on the top.

S- Boozy, sweet, slight vanilla

T- Brown sugar. Some burnt notes, as in burnt coffee beans. Dairy cream.

M- Thick as all hell- the burntness adds quite a bitter punch but the beer is creamy and smooth enough to overcome that.

D- Great and delicious, everything I was hopping for from this beer.

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%

BORIS poured black as oil and produced a nice brown head. It had some great banana esters and a solid, creamy body. Generally, it was a delicious beer and I wish it was more readily available on the west coast. It is on the level of great local San Diego offerings like Speedway Stout and Old Viscosity.

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%

For those of us who know the history of this brew, and know Fred Karm's original recipe for Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night realize how contract brewing in Frederick brewing keeping the brand alive can kill what the beer was all about. Now enters Hoppin' Frog and all is right in the world. Appears pitch black motor oil that absolutely absorbs every band of the visible light spectrum where everything fades to black. Head is a dark brown mocha hue, forms thick. With my first gulp of the brew head is left evenly all around my Southern Tier pint glass. Aromatics bring out deep roasted malts with coffee and dark chocolate and the oatmeal adds that layer of cereal grain softness to the mix, while herbal hops flow as well. Sweet decadent creamy burnt marshmallows with singe of alcohol tickling the ol' nares. Flavor a rolling wave of oatmeal and roasted malt sweet and roasted malt bitterness. Creamy sweet syrup added to a bowl of plain oatmeal, with cocoa powder and flame roasted marshmallow added to the mix that's what this beer tastes like. After your first few sips you think where's the hops because in flavor only minimal herbal balancing hop flavor survives the malt trip, but by the third or fourth sip the hop burps arrive and you realize where those sixty international bitterness units are hiding. Huge yet perfectly balanced beer sweet and creamy yet roasty and hoppy, the ying and yang of all dark beers. Mouthfeel is huge creamy borderline custard at times, carbonation rolls sluggishly trying to move that high gravity around, you can tell when you watch the pour. It takes awhile for the head to form even after a vigorous pour. Drinkability is effortless even after 22oz I could have another glass. I learned this after having it on tap before it arrive in Pittsburgh. I made a beer run up to Boardman, OH to visit Ron Bush at his Diamond Bar where Boris was flowing. A couple glasses later had me owned by this brew, my second meeting with this fine brew came at Smokin' Joe's in the South Side after a Pirate's game, needles to say I tried to make this brew a session beer....I know I know...respect beer. By the way thanks to Valley Wine Cellar I can now by it in the city where I live for $7.99 a bottle, that's value.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" purply dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Head recedes slowly, with average to good lace. Aroma is dark roasty malts with an undercurrent of alcohol. Taste follows the nose, rich and creamy, with the alcohol bringing it on at the close. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth, and drinkability is excellent. I'll be back for more.

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A_Pours a viscous looking opague brown/black. A nice looking mocha 1.5 finger head has some good staying power.

S_Nose is a very thick roasted malt with hints of coffee as well. Mostly bitter with no trace of alcohol. Smells nice without being overpowering.

T_Sweeter up front with the stout like chocolate notes. This is followed up by a very nice sourness. The finish is a rich bitterness that comes from both the hops and the roasted grains. Alcohol is hidden but comes through a bit more as it gets warmer.

M_Fairly sticky and oily with a decent level of carbonation. A bit of the silky mouthfeel I like from oatmeal stouts is missing but that really is the only negative.

D_Potent stout that is a fine as a sipper on a cold evening. While there is a good balance between the elements the overall strength of the taste limits the ammount one could drink making this a good special occasion beer.

Thanks go out to Rblwthacoz for the bottle.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery