B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev -5%

A - Pours into the snifter with a fine, tiny brown head. The body is black. The legs are awesome. There is no lacing. Quite quickly after the pour, the head vanishes completely and I'm left with a snifter of black goop.

S - A nice smelling dark chocolatey brew. Booze, molassesy sweetness, roasty. Bread... random yeasty notes. Maybe a slight citric hoppiness underlying. Smells like a solid malt bomb.

T - Ultra chocolatey. Chocolate liqueur, cocoa up front... a fruity middle which I'm really trying to decifer... and a super roasty malt finish combined with some nice hop bitterness. Finishes nearly like coffee. Not the best RIS I've ever had but definitely not bad. A great go-to.

M - Could stand to be slightly thicker feeling. Carbonation level is good, though.

D - Rather drinkable for the style. A bomber is enough for now, but I wouldn't really want to split one :)

Notes: A great brew from Ohio that I wish were available here in Michigan. I don't know of the price, but I'm sure I'd revisit it from time to time... and one I'll buy on every Toledo beer run.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

A - very black with no hints of light seeping through. There was a small 1cm head, but it disappeared quickly.

S - chocolate, nothing else. It was a pleasant chocolate smell, but it seemed one dimensional.

T - Chocolate (milk or semi-sweet) and oatmeal followed by a lingering bittersweet chocolate taste with a hint of hop bitterness.

M - good overall. It was above average for an RIS, but it wasn't perfect.

D - Good. It's not my favorite RIS, but I'll drink it. I wish it came in smaller bottles however. Putting down 22.9oz of a thick beer doesn't make the stomach feel so great.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

It's a cold Sunday here in New York, a day that begs for some nice, high ABV Stouts. Luckily, I have been hanging onto BORIS for a while for a day just like this. So after scampering around all morning to get the stew on its slow simmer towards excellence, I sit down at my desk with a some nice aged sheep's milk cheese from Arthur Avenue, a pint glass and a 22 of this Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout. I click shuffle all on the ipod and we begin...

Song - I walk the Line; Johnny Cash.

BORIS promises to crush me like no other and the song is fitting, because being crushed is a line I don't mind tip-toeing down.

It pours a shade darker than coca-cola, but miles thicker. It has that red hue to it that coke seems to carry and as I watch the pour intently, I nearly let the glass over flow... crap.

Song change - Icky Thump; White Stripes

The beer doesn't carry much of a head, even though it was poured right down the pipe with some vigor. There is a tiny and very tan cap around the perimeter of the beer, but that is it. I can't recall if the last one I drank had the same results... I may be way off and I haven't been into a dark room in years (since photography class in Boarding School), but this reminds me of a dark room with all the red blubs out except one. It is dark, I can barley see, but there is a faint dark red color that allows some light to pass through if I tilt the glass enough.

Song Change - Lyrics to Go; A Tribe Called Quest

Imagine if someone spiked a tootsie roll. That is the initial smell I get, a tootsie roll, heated up a bit, then soaked in some rum or whiskey. With it comes the oatmeal and coffee, but this is a dark deep coffee with some dark fruit characters. I like the smell, its nice

BORIS has much more Hops here than I remembered it. Now, don't get me wrong... he is completely dominated by the dark chocolate, coffee, oatmeal...

Song Change - Money; Pink Floyd

... plums, raisins, and lots of good roastiness... but in the finish, there is more bitterness to it than I recall. Really complex beer, lot's to talk about, actually fits quite well with this song. Especially the trumpet solo (that is a trumpet right?). Mmm, really tasty, the alcohol doesn't tuck its self away in the corner, but it is not over the top by any means... I actually had a nice little game of hide and seek with it through out the entire beer.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, but still has a nice rich body. It is very well carbonated, maybe a bit too much, but as the songs past it seems to...

Song Change - I'm Only Sleeping; covered by Jeff Tweedy

... calm down and is really nice.

Very drinkable, as drinkable as a 22oz bottle of an almost 10% beer can be. Really nice offering and has accomplished the immediate task when I ...

Song Change - Like a Rock; Bob Seager

Woke, which was warm my bones. On a side note, this song has been permanently ruined for me because of the Ford commercials. I work in advertising/marketing and understand how necessary finding a great song is for commercials is, but I still hate how they ruin songs for me. My favorite band is Wilco and those godforsaken Volkswagen commercial's really crush me.

Speaking of crushing me, this beer did just that. Really great offering from Hoppin' Frog

EDIT: When refilling the glass I literally threw the beer into the glass and a nice rich, thick, khaki brown colored cloud formed over the beer and sank slowly. I apologize to BORIS for I don't want him to show up and kick down my door. Really nice coffee frappe (milk shake for non-new Englanders) colored head.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours jet-black, like ink, with some dark-brown highlights. Nice color. A small amount of tan head quickly dissipates into a minimal ring of lacing to the edges of the glass.
Scent is mostly malty and sweet, with hints of dark, dried fruit such as raisins & dates. Not the coffee/cocoa notes of most RIS, which is a refreshing change.
There is a deep carmalized flavor, brought out by the roasted malts. Hints of coffee, date and fig. Thick on the palate, with a noticable hop reverberation and semi-dry finish. Alcohol content fairly noticable.
Thick & robust in body, yet a lack of carbonation cripples what could be an all-around excellent brew.
Needs more carbonation, because it tastes quite flat. It is otherwise a quite tasty brew....and certainly warms you up on a 20F day.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from tap at Capones in Norristown into a small tasting glass.

A: A deep dark black color with a wonderful light brown head. The head leaves nice light brown glass lacing.

S: Roasted malts with hints of chocolate and some faint coffee. A mellow hop smell is detected.

T: Wow, this is totally different from a keg than bottle. The tap version lets out flavors of chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts a bit of coffee and this smack of sweet cherries towards the back end. A mellow hop taste underlies, but the sweet fruit/cherry flavor lasts on the finish. Freaking amazing. So good, smooth and different.

M: Full and coating but creamy too. You can feel the alcohol but not as much as I expected. Very smooth.

D: Medium drinkablility. One or two max based on the abv.

Overall I was not impressed with Boris from a bottle, just too much coffee flavors that seemed one dimensional to me. But from the tap, wow this is a different beer and so much better. Matt Capone talked me into trying it as I expressed to him that I was not a fan of it from bottle. Boy was I glad he did. Bottom line, from fresh draft this is a top notch impy stout that you should seek out. Still shaking my head how good this was.

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Got in a trade with johnnnniee - many thanks! Poured from a 22oz bottle (no dating info) into a pint glass. It was pitch black even against the light. Too dark to see any carb. Great lacing. It had a massive dark brown head that took forever to settle down into a light foam and thin collar.

The aroma was roasted and chocolate malts primarily. Along sweet malt and alcohol present. The alcohol aroma was a tad too strong so hurt the score slightly. Not sure of the age of this one so the alcohol might settle with more aging...or not. The taste was really good but again was impacted by the alcohol. This one seemed to be still hot. I know it's a high ABV and this style comes with alcohol taste usually but I've had several that have either settled with age or hide it a little better. It's still an outstanding beer but I prefer a little less hot. The mouthfeel was thick and creamy.

Overall, a really good beer that I highly recommend. Mine was a little hot so looking forward to getting another and aging for 6 months to try again. My first Hoppin' Frog but eager to try some more from them.

4.05/5  rDev -4.5%

Enjoyed this during Thanksgiving dinner.

Dark as all get out... thin brown head that sticks around a little while.

Tons of malt, chocolate, coffee in the nose. This is a very sweet beer! There's some hoppiness, but I'm getting tons of chocolate and oat in here. Very sticky mouthfeel.

This is worth the $10 price tag. I will definitely be drinking this again.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

On tap at Teresa's Next Door.

A-Pours a deep opaque black. Little to no head or lacing.

S-Chocolate, caramel, vanilla and roasted malts, maybe a hint of peat.

T-Nicely complex. Sweet front with toffee and milk chocolate. A bourbony vanilla flavor and roasted coffee blend nicely in the finish. Moderate alcohol warmth at the end too.

M-Rich and creamy, a bit viscous.

D-Deliciously drinkable. Complex and tasty. Lots of flavor for the ABV.

My favorite Hoppin' Frog Beer.

HV

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

A- The color of mahogany wood with a light dusting of caramel head. (prob would have had more head but was poured into a balloon glass.)

S- Rich with caramel malts, sour yeast, dates, and hint of released alcohol.

T- Leads with a quick to fade chocolate covered candied fruit note, mid palate is a smoky charcoal. Finishes bitter sweet with piny hops and dark roasted chocolate malts.

M- Light carbonation and a syrupy rich mouth feel.

D- Definitely a nice blend of the smoothness of oats, chocolate accents and the largess of a true RIS.

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

first off let me say im not a big stout guy or coffee guy

but I checked it out

it pours a jet black, like black black
some brown head

the smell is like coffee mixed with a little oats and some faint chocolate

it tastes just like it smells

its smooth to drink

its a good beer, just not my favorite style

i would have it again though

the high abv really works for me with this beer

A: Thick tan head with beer being dark brown / black. Full body that pours almost as thick as oil.
S: If smelling were enough I would be in heaven. Roasted grain, oatmeal, coffee and chocolate.
T: Nice roasted nutty chocolate with slight coffee. Smooth after burn with little alcohol (compared to content).
M: Full body with thick creamy mouthfeel.. Definitely a meal in a bottle
D: As soon as you open the bottle, and until the last drop, this is as good as it gets. I'm very lucky to be from the Akron area to have this excellent beer any time. I've had some excellent stouts, but nothing comes close to what this has to offer.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Serving type: 750 ml. bottle.

ours pitch black with a ark chocolate brown head. Beautiful roasty aroma of coffee, toffee, dark chocolate, sugar cane, oatmeal and hazelnut. Flavor has simialr attributes as its aroma. Very malty with lots of oatmeal, chocolate, roasted coffee, toffee, sugar cane, alcohol and caramel. Very smooth with a burnt, bittry dry finish. Amazing!

3.63/5  rDev -14.4%

Bottle. Pours black with no real head. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, and booze. Flavor is less intense, lots of general roasted malts and alcohol. A little flavorless for an imperial stout. Smooth drinking. Ok, but nothing I'm jumping over joy for.
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 3/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20
3.7/5

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

22 oz bomber purchased at Joe Canal's in Egg Harbor Twp., NJ. Drank from a pint glass.

A: Very dark brown/ black body. Small brown head dissipated quickly.

S: Full of roasted malt. Big earthy coffee smell with dark chocolate presence.

T: Slightly sweet beginning but finishes dry. Taste is also full of roasted malts, coffee and dark chocolate. A slight hoppiness and very faint alcohol note in the finish.

M: Thick, syrupy, full body coats the mouth. Very smoothe.

D: An awesome, well balanced and flavorful beer. Very drinkable for it's thickness and 9.4% abv. Can't wait to get some more. Glad to see this one in NJ.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Drank from a pewter stein.
pours super dark blackish brown with a brown, cappucino head. Exceptional.
Taste is very chocolatey, a lot of espresso, roasted malt, some dark fruit, not much bitterness (hop bitterness, that is. There IS bitter chocolate to it, though).
Aroma is similar, mostly espresso beans and fruit.
Mouth is viscous but not overwhelmingly so. It is smooth and has a nice thickness that swallows nicely. Good amount of carbonation. It is delicious.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Chris for bringing this to a beer tasting at a good friends house.

Pours a very opaque black with a very dark brown head that looked frothy hot cocoa.

The taste wasn't all too complex with the usual suspects for the style but it was well executed. Coffee, brown sugar and dark bitter chocolate.

Heavy and viscous mouthfeel. The finish was quite strong and bitter from the hops.

This is a very good RIS but nothing too unique. Well executed for the style.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

BORIS pours a deep black into the glass with a frothy, one finger brown head on top. The foam dissolves down to a thick ring on the surface leaving behind a fair amount of netted lace on the sides of the glass.

The aroma is very malty with noticeable alcohol mixed in. Coffee, nuts, roasted malt and a hint of chocolate are also present. Each sip of this full bodied beer is silky on the tongue with a firm carbonated fizz on the tip of the tongue.

The flavor has a nice balance of sweet malt and hop bitterness. It begins with dark flavors of roasted malt, molasses, coffee and hints of cocoa. Towards the end some hoppy notes of pine and grass help balance out all the malt. It finishes with a nuttyness and warming alcohol flavor. Once gone, the roast malt flavor lingers on the palate.

This beer does a decent job of hiding it's 9.4% alcohol. The flavor is well balanced and with the smooth mouthfeel it makes this beer quite drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip pint

Pours a viscous midnight black. Absolutely no light gets through Boris. A brown, one finger head rose and subsided on the quicker side. Dots and scattered lines of lace leave their mark.

Dark fruits really cut through everything. Roasted malt, espresso, bittersweet Belgian chocolate, booze, and flaky oats have their place, but the fruits really ring the loudest.

Wow. Flavor is like a dark cherry dipped in bittersweet chocolate and dropped in an espresso. A touch of hop bitterness and a lingering boozy chocolate--cherry flavor. Rich and indulgent. There is almost a whiskey-like flavor hidden in there that really builds over time.

A big thick body on this guy. Velvety smooth. This might be as perfect as it gets. Coats the mouth and leaves a good amount of heat in its wake.

The thickness, booze, and rich chocolate and cherry really make you put the brakes on. This is one to sip and enjoy. With that in mind, this guy is exactly what you are looking for.

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

Cheers to #300!!

I had a lot of self debate over which beer i would review for number 300 and as it turns out BORIS is it!.

22oz bottle.

This beer pours black as freakin night! No light is shining through this bad boy. Small sticky brown head with some crazy red highlights to it. Very nice. Coffee, brown sugar sweetened oatmeal and sweet chocolate malt in the nose, standard but very inviting. A big whiff reveals sweet hops and the slightest hint of alcohol that just gets me more interested. This beer has absolutely fantastic body to it. Just chewy enough without becoming cloying and "heavy", slick and smooth as all hell. The taste is explosive as well. Big blast of chocolate and a pleasant and welcomed nutty-ness begins it right upfront, then some creamy coffee notes and ripe fruits invade next, followed by a slight hop bite and its subtle bitterness balanced by a bready, pie crust like, finish. Wonderful after taste of ripe cherries, smoke and sweet chocolate malts. Fantastic, without a doubt a well made beer. This beer was everything i hoped it would be and more. A 22oz bomber is an ideal serving size for a beer as tasty as this. Dont let the 9.4% ABV scare you this ones a paper tiger when it comes to an alcohol burn. Well done. I hope to try many more from Hoppin' Frog!

4.75/5  rDev +12%

I'd say it's more of an american double stout, but either way it's a great brew!

A: Black with a dark, tan head; very little retention, only a slight leg.

S: Very roasty: coffee, black-strap molasses, dark chocolate, nuts; a good hop nose: pine, grass, floral & a little citrus. As it warms the alcohol comes forward with sherry cask-like aroma's, along with a slight bubble-gum fruitiness.

T: Awesome tar-like bitterness upfront, black-strap molasses, bakers chocolate, pine, hints of floral and a little citrus in the finish. There's also a slight fruitiness (dark & candied) from the ale yeast, which is often lacking in the new-world versions.

M: Thick, syrupy body has a slightly dry, alcohol finish. A fair amount of roasted & hop acidity, though the oats do smooth it out. Wow, the FG is 38! I'm not sure I've drank anything that thick before! Surprisingly, there isn't a hint of cloying sweetness.

D: Incredibly drinkable for its weight.

Thanks to SkinnyElvis for this Halloween '08 treat!

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: BORIS pours a very dark black with brown highlights around the edges, and it is capped off with a very thin head that dissipated quite quickly and left minimal lacing.
Smell: The nose starts off with plenty of roasted grain, coffee, bitter chocolate, and some oat flakes coming in nicely as well.
Taste: The flavor profile is much more pronounced than the smell with big flavors of roasted malt, espresso, bitter chocolate, oats, and a thick dark fruit quality as well.
Mouthfeel: The oats make this RIS one of the smoothest stouts with this much alcohol that you will find. The warming alcohol kicks in after only a few drinks in this thick and chewy sipper.
Drinkability: This beer is delicious and very easy to drink.

Better head and nose on this beer and it would be one of my highest rated beers out there, but the flavor profile to me was awesome and I will be buying this beer again.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A= This stout poured a deep dark black with no light penetrating through. Slight ruby highlights around the edges of the glass. The dark tan head poured 1/2" and slowly dropped to a thin cap. Nice broken lace down the glass.

S= Aromas of sweet and roasty malts, coffee, milk chocolate, and dark ripe cherries. A boozy alcohol note in the aroma too.

T= Very good flavor profile which consisted of a nice balance of sweet up front and bitter in the end. Chewy malts, milk chocolate, and dark ripe fruits lent the sweetness and the bitter notes came from roasted grains, coffee, and a flash of bittering hops in the middle. The finish was 60/40 bitter to sweet and was full of warming alcohol.

MF= Heavy body, viscous, with an oatmeal chewiness. Carbonation was moderate. This was a real tongue coating beer.

D= I tried this one based solely on the good reviews it has received here on BA and I was not disappointed. Very good and highly drinkable RIS here. Can't wait to get some more!

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: pours a black color with a light brown colored 1" head. Some mild lacing develops.

Smell: loads of roasted malts and a general sweetness is easy to detect.

Taste: roasted malts, oatmeal, prunes, loads of milk chocolate, and a nice balancing bitterness provides a great flavored beer. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: smooth throughout. A bit dry at the finish. Heavier in body. Aftertaste is long as the flavor profile sticks itself to the tongue.

Drinkability: great for flavor but less for the high alcohol levels. One bottle will suffice in a single session.

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to moose3285and his generous LIF
Bottle poured into a snifter produced finger worth of tan head that dissipates to a whisper of lace. This is of course on top of pitch black body ale

Smells like a chocolate oatmeal cookie great stuff. The flavors in this ale are sweet grains with a light bitter chocolate finish. This ale was nice and thick in the mouth with little carbonation on my tongue if any at all.

Great drinkability I savored every drop from this bomber for brunch. A great way to start of a nice New England fall day

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Thanks to corey0212 who offered this in a trade.

Appearance: Opaque brown black oil slick with a brownish slightly grape 1 finger rocky foam head that dissipates quickly and leaves mild amounts of lacing.

Smell: Mainly roasted coffee with some caramelish sweetness and oats. its well done and a touch subtle. The nose is not as in your face as other selections in this style.

Taste: Over roasted malts couple with some chocolate bitterness and coffee flavor. Oatmeal really comes through too. This RIS doesn't smack your taste buds but it certainly gets there attention.

Mouthfeel: The oats really add silky smooth softness to this brew that I find very enjoyable. Honestly this RIS has one of the better mouthfeels for the style in my humble opinion.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for the style. Actually I'd say this is one of the most approachable RIS's for a newbie.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery