B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this badboy up at Jungle's in Fairlfield for $7.99. I've been eyeing this one in the basement for the last few days, so let's crack this one for the elections. Split with my buddy Rusty. Not my favorite label, but I am happy this is an Ohio made beer! No freshness date on this bomber but I am certain it's a batch from 2008.

A: Pours black. Not a trace of brown, not dark root beer, not mahogany - but, black. The head of this bastard is 2 inches tall after an average pour into my imperial pint glass. The head is dark brown, like the froth on a rich espresso. Looks intimidating!

S: Wickedly rich mix of charred wood, FRESH coffee grounds, light molasses and bourbon.

T/M: Medium to full bodied and full flavored. Flavors exploded in my mouth with the typical cherry-like sweetness, whiskey, smoke and dark chocolate - wow. Low carbonation and finishes slightly hoppy.

D: Great price for an amazingly well-crafted and solid brew. DON'T judge a beer by it's label, this is a badass brew.

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

pour black and thick like cream. opaque with little to no head. would like to see a bit more with this aggressive pour. chocolate milk foam. tight with no lace. smell is malt and molasses. taste has that same backbone. nice bitter hop with a light sweetness all matched with the alcohol and density giving it a liquor candy syrup aspect. sweeter than some but balanced. oat is lightly smoked with a woody nature. great beer... would recommend. really comes through and is consistent as it gets warmer.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

This beer pours very think and dark with little to no head and some lacing. The smell is large with lots of toasted malts and sweetness. The taste threw me for a loop, but it grew on me fast, it had sourness, a large toasted malt base. The flavor that threw me for a loop seemed to be cherries and for a 9.4% abv you get non of it which is nice. The mouthfeel was nice and creamy but the carbonation level seemed a little low, I would love to try this beer on nitro! A very mystifying and drinkable brew that I will come back to now that its available in New York

4.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22 0z bottle into a Belgian style chalice.

Deep dark black with a small skim of a brown/espresso colored head. Head quickly dissipates into a bubbly ring around glass. Looks hefty, intimidating, & great.

Big roasted/charred malt aroma, sweet molasses, oatmeal, BOOZE, coffee, faint chocolate, faint hoppiness. Second stage makes me think is gonna be quite the enjoyable experience.

Sweet & toasted malts, smooth oatmeal, chocolate, coffee, distinct fruity hoppiness, boozy. More complex than my description. The oatmeal smoothes everything out. Very nice.

Smooth, rich, big, warming booziness, full bodied, mildly carbonated. Not as thick as most imperial stouts.

The 9% is present. Although quite drinkable for such a big brew.

Stoke up the fire & warm up with this bad boy. The oatmeal gives the brew a nice smoothness. Kinda hides some of the "rough" characteristics of a big stout.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with a dark mocha head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing on the way down. Aroma of Coffee roast chocolate and brown sugar. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, dried fruit, a little alcohol. Has a roast bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste forever. The mouthfeel is oily yet creamy as hell. Thick syrupy body, light carbonation. This is a damn fine imperial oatmeal stout, I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

A very huge thanks to tprokop7 for this one. I've wanted this for a long time, had the oppertunity to get one, but passed and let a more deserving BA get it. I knew it was only a matter of time for me and hey look, I was right.

A- This for sure is a thick oatmeal stout. Thick could be an understatement. The very dark brown head even looks heavy. As the head was settling it was like watching slugs race. And yes there is a place that has slug races, I lived there. The beer is very black, but in very thin quanitites it is dark brown. This looks great, a nice thick beer for the cold time of the year.

S- When I smell this I think of oatmeal and brown sugar with coffee brewing in the background. There is a nice vanilla smell that is very faintly mixed in with the roasty malts and sweetness. There is also something else I can't quite put my finger on, but if I were to guess I would say a wood smell of sorts.

T- Talk about oatmeal taste, this is just like oatmeal and brown sugar in a bottle. It's even thick like oatmeal should be. There is a nice sweetness and I even get a slight taste of cherries. This is an excellent tasting RIS. The use of oatmeal adds a new level and expands the boundries of what a RIS is.

M- I enjoy the very thickness that this beer has to offer. I like having a thick slow moving stout to drink. It makes the experience that much better.

D- Very nicely done, and easy to drink. I wish this was sold out here in the PNW, I would definately have to buy some.

3.88/5  rDev -8.5%

I know Fred and his beers and congrats to him on winning gold on this one. (Well I don't know him personally, but I know him as a colleague) It is a nice deep opaque, black with a nice tan head, and ruby/mahogany highlights at the edge. The aromas of light chocolate, alcohol, toast, banana, pear, and almost a cool whip flavor come through in the nose. Very interesting combo. But rather strong on the banana.
The taste is a combo of the aforementioned, along with a cheerio grainy flavor, that seems to be a perceived sweetness, rather than an actual sweetness. nice balance of bitterness, and dryness finishes this O.I.S and a alcohol-kissed finish tops it off.
Very drinkable. The man knows his stouts.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Big thanks (once again) to Yamar18 for the hook-up!

Appearance: Pours out like motor oil with a very slowly forming and quickly dissipating brown head. All that remains after about 15 seconds is a very thin (yet sticky) ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. To my surprise, no lacing. An extremely viscous pour netted a 1-finger, very tight, sticky, creamy head. Retention was still just mediocre. Body, on the other hand, looks great: pitch black, opaque, thick, and oily. Still, as far as imperial stouts go this one looks pretty dull.

Smell: A very strong toffee aroma jumps out, followed by coffee and chocolate, vanilla, oats, nuts and maybe even bourbon. A lot of sweetness, though the overall strength is fairly subdued.

Taste: Dark chocolate, roasted barley, and toffee come to mind first. Wow, oats are huuuge in the aftertaste! Dark currants, leather, and even citrus make a decent showing, but (surprisingly) I'm not getting a whole lot of coffee. Hops snowball into the finish, leaving a bitter and dry aftertaste, yet whetting the palate for another delicious sip. Alcohol is somewhat apparent in the finish as well. The taste is very complex and enjoyable, and I seem to catch a new flavor every minute. Great balance too!

Mouthfeel: Big-bodied and chewy with low carbonation. Very thick and malty with nice mouth-coating and an excellent aftertaste. Rich and bold, yet very smooth.

Drinkability: This is the most drinkable R.I.S. I've ever encountered. Flavor is complex and subtle, allowing the imbiber to discover different nuances in smell and flavor throughout the session. Normally, I'm more of a punch-you-in-the-face R.I.S. fan, but this was a great change-up. Watch out for the ABV - it has already caught me off-guard!

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow this is a fantastic beer. I did not expect this. Pours black with the darkest brown head I ever saw. Smells cool, refreshing, with lots of chocolate and coffee - fruits underneath too. Taste is phenomenal - very rich chocolate. Taste lingers in the mouth for a while after each sip. Man this beer is thick, syrupy - just how I love my beer. Alcohol is blended well - its hard to tell its as strong as it really is. Man I wish I could get some more of this! My folks were passing by a store near the brewery in Ohio on a trip and new I liked stouts - so they got it, not knowing how good it would be. Highly recommended.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Somebody put a black and tan in my bottle. Black fluid with a brown head. Not much retention. Guess it's a black and was tan.

Smells like wet dog. Seriously. Like my friggin saint bernard just walked in after a rainstorm.

I taste some candy up front. Biting bitter coffee at the end. I taste RED licorice instead of black licorice for the first time in a beer. Very, very nice.

I was about to have a bad impression because I didn't like the smell, but the flava comes through and saves the day.

Full bodied. Definite sipper. A pleasant 9.4%. Pleasant not great that is. I love 9% in my D/IPA but in my stouts 11-13% range is much butter. This one is still pretty good though. Love the red licorice snapshots.

Overall: unique tasting treasure

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this for dinner last night. Black, labrea tarpit-like appearance. Tons of roasted malt in the smell, as well as the usual coffee and chocolate. Same with the taste, which also includes, as advertised, oatmeal goodness. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy, with light to medium carbonation. I really enjoyed this one.

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to waltonc for sharing this one.

A: Thick motor oil pour with big dark brown head. Classic looking imperial stout

S: Coffee, roasted malt, sugary toffee. Just a beautiful aroma, you can tell this is going to be a good one

T/M: Damn good stuff. Russian Imperial Stout flavors of coffee, roasted malt and toffee are very well balanced. Thick, full-bodied.

D: Would love to drink this more often but that would mean moving to Ohio

A fantastic beer. Up there with the other great RIS I've had the fortune to try, like Stone & Santa's Little Helper

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a slow/thick black, brownish highlights when held up to light, tiny mocha-colored head rises and fades pretty quickly. So much dark chocolate in the nose, dark fruit notes, and some faint alcohol fumes rising out of the glass. Taste is chocolatey as hell, roasty, some espresso, slightly charred around the edges, slight alcohol burn on the lips. Moutfheel is perfect, creamy, just-right carbonation, and tons of lingering espresso aftertaste. Love this one....B.O.R.I.S. rocks!

3.83/5  rDev -9.7%

22oz bottle in pint glass

it pours black and a hard pour gets one finger of dark creamy head. the smell is mild and sweet, almost like a milk stout. medium body that is very smooth and a little creamy. full flavored with a sweetness like coffee and chocolate and the oatmeal gives a nice smoothness to it. the aftertaste is very pleasant of coffee notes.

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured out of a 750 mL bottle into a pint glass.

A- dark, like engine oil, with little to no carbonation. tan head that formed initially, quickly dissipated.

S- had a very nice smell. mix of oatmeal and malt with chocolate undertones.

T- the taste of malt and oatmeal was real prevalent. at the end of each sip, chocolate and a small hint of hops came out.

M- thick with little carbonation. seemed to just coat the throat as the beer was consumed.

D- for a beer with a high abv., this was quite tasty. thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with a RIS.

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

From notes

22oz bomber Bought in Davis Square

A - Nice thick head settled quickly though and like most oatmeal stouts does not keep the head for long. nice dark black.

S - nice roasted malt smell, dark choco

T - tatse follows nose. acohol present not over powering. taste of chocolate roasted taste mocha, tasty

M- thick, very heavy beer matches the combination of the styles

D - Very heavy like the beer but loses some points for viscous nature.

Definitely worth a try.

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber bottle just purchased from New Beer Distributors on Chrystie Street in Manhattan...
Heard a lot of good things about this R.I.S. so I was curious to give it a shot when I saw it available for the first time...
Appearance: A hefty pour yielded a thick, viscous, obsidian, jet-black, ebony hue with a minimal red, tannish head that quickly receded...
Smell: Immediately was greeted with a thick, overpowering whiff of pure, dark chocolate and mocha...
Taste: Robust, full-bodied, thick, alcoholic flavor with intense dark-chocolate flavors, rich espresso, mocha, and roasted malts...
Mouthfeel: Extremely full-bodied, viscous...
Drinkability took a hit due to the intense flavor and hefty 9.4% ABV...
Good stuff...
Recommended...

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured a nice inky black from a 22 oz bomber. Tan head left some patchy lacing.

Good coffee, molasses, and deep roasted malt aromas. Very nice scents here.

Flavors of dark chocolate, coffee, some malt sweetness peeks thru here with a touch of creaminess. Alcohol peeks thru here too.

Fuller mouthfeel. This one is one to sip. Enjoyable flavors, and warming alcohol will make this a winter visitor to my fridge. Not exactly something I'd want to chug with burgers, and one big bottle will do it for the night for me.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a snifter. Not sure of the date on this one but I figure it must be at least a year old.

Appears pitch black and viscous with a half inch dark tan head that goes away fairly quickly, though it can be revitalized with a good swirl. A bit of lacing.

Aroma is amazing. Chocolate and coffee goodness with a prominent molasses note and some subtle vanilla. Slight alcohol in the background.

The taste starts off with dark chocolate and molasses then progessively gets more bitter with a coffee-like roastiness and some hops at the end.

Mouthfeel is just short of being full, but very smooth and creamy. If it was a bit thicker I would rate it a five without hesitation.

Very good stuff. I was hesitant to try it after trying their IPA and being thoroughly disgusted but I finally caved and bought this one up. Glad I did, it's deserving of it's place in the top beers.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Sampling this beer poured at cellar temp into a snifter and splitting with Stopper. The beer pours pitch black with a creamy brown head of 1 cm resting easily on the surface. Aroma is deep chocolate malt and roasted notes, some molasses in there as well. Very hearty nose.
First sip reveals a thick body with fine rolling carbonation. Flavor is chocolate, molassess and roasted malt. Some hints of booze but mild for a 9.5% brew. the booze is just enough to remind you this is a big beer, I could see consuming this too fast as it is fairly easy drinking for the size.
VERY nice beer!

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance - poured a deep dark brown with a thick fomy brown head.
Smell - Rich chocolate, coffee oats and a bit of vanilla
Taste - The taste is of a heavy rich chocolate. Also getting some coffee and vanilla.The oats come out at the end very nice.
Mouthfeel - Full body beer smooth/creamy mouthfeel. good carbonation
Drinkability - A very good beer overall.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

this is as black as satens hart, thick and lushous. i taste sweet carmel notes and strong alcohal in the begining, the middle is one of strong darkley roasted oatmeal and the first hint of hops. the end is nice coffie and pungent floral hops and smooth alcohal. this is a beer that improves as it warms! i need to get more of this one for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

first of all thanks to jcjwebster for tossing this in our latest trade.

poured into a bodington's pint glass. pours black. light couldnt get through this beer if i paid it to. a half finger of rich dark mocha colored head sits on top and leaves a slight lacing. this is what dark stouts want to grow up to be like.

smell is rich. full of roasted malts, some coffee, dark chocolate, and some slight spice or nuttiness.

taste matches up to the smell. goes even further in my opinion. i get rich roasted malty goodness. some dark chocolate like in the nose. this beer is just delicious. i cant put my finger on it but i swear i get some nuts, it might just be the roasted malts but whatever it is, its great.

mouth feel is rich and creamy. this beer is incredibly smooth. full bodied. i seriously just cant get enough of this. i would drink this beer again in the drop of a hat. pity is doesn't come out to California. :(

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A - Pours pitch black with thick foamy tan head. Good retention and lacing.

S - Chocolatey, roasted aroma, with some dark fruit and alcohol added in.

T - Lots of dark malty flavor, with coffee and chocolate. Finishes with a bit of a hoppy bite.

M - Full bodied, a bit of an oily mouthfeel. Goes down smooth.

D - Excellent brew, highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours jet black with a small tan head. In the aroma, sweet oatmeall sweetness and a small alcohol note. In the taste, roasty oatmeal sweetness. A smooth and big bodied mouthfeel, with a dry chocolate aftertaste. Big flavor, roasty malt and delicious.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery