B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros

rojapa, Aug 06, 2013

WDJersey, Aug 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Thanks to limesmut for this one.

Pours from a 22oz bottle into a snifter a black-as-the-soul-of-hell color with very little head to speak of. What head there was was mocha colored, but there really wasnt much to speak of.

Aroma was full of chocolate and sweet alcohol. Raisins and tobacco also rear their heads. Perhaps even a bit of licorice. Smells dessert like.

A little sweet in the beginning. Syrupy. A good hop bite in the finish helps a little to balance out the immense sweetness in the front. Mostly bitter chocolate and roasted coffee. I guess the best way to describe this one is a piece of chocolate cake with some black cherry syrup on top and a cup of coffee on the side.

Sweet and sticky and a little cloying. Overall, this was a little too sweet for me. I can see how people like it but it just was too cloying to me. I do love the coffee and chocolate flavors but the alcoholic burn and heat ond other factors make this one just an average RIS in my book.

SaCkErZ9, May 13, 2008

DLucky, Sep 05, 2013

rxeight, Sep 13, 2013

eulerthegrape, Aug 25, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Straight pour from a pry-off 22oz bottle to my Cigar City snifter. Not dating visible anywhere on the bottle or label, but my best guess is that this bottle is about a year old. The store I got it from received one shipment, I believe, of Hoppin’ Frog about a year ago, so that’s my estimate.

Appearance (3.5): Head is minimal, but the color of chocolate milk while it sticks around. Fades quickly to leave a couple of sudsy spots on the sides of the glass, but that’s about it. The body is black-black-black, not even turning reddish at the corners, which I dig. Just wish there was more head going on here.

Smell (2.0): Very tame aroma here. Wish there was a lot more. What’s there recalls dark fruits, sweet molasses and some very faint char. Some chocolate?

Taste (4.0): Following the nose, there’s a strong malty component in the background that’s like dark stone fruits—dates, raisins, prunes—mulled in warm molasses. A bit sweet in that regard, though there’s a lightly bitter coffee note that comes around and cuts through it, which is nice. The oats really are quite noticeable though, smoothing everything over and even helping to mask the alcohol (which is present, too). Light, bittersweet chocolate character floats around everything else going on. The more this warms, the more I enjoy what’s going on.

Mouthfeel (3.5): Nice and thick, viscous but not syrupy, but the carbonation is incredibly subdued—just a light tingle towards the end.

Overall (3.5): This beer feels like it could be great. Maybe it needs to be fresher. Maybe it really benefits from barrel aging. But right now, at about one year on the bottle (at my best estimate), it’s relatively smooth and subdued but not necessarily for the better. I’m not into the harshness of a lot of Russian Imperials, so the “Imperial Oatmeal” idea really speaks to me, but I think there are better examples out there. Good beer, above average, but not a stunner.

fmccormi, May 06, 2012
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad, not great. Not worth the price. Can't understand why a 22 oz. Bomber of beer made 1 state away is $9.99 locally and the much tastier, higher ABV, Duck Rabbit Rabid Duck Imperial Stout made in North Carolina is $1 more for a 6 pack of bottles. This is not a bad beer, just an overpriced one. Color is as any Imperial should be. Head is almost non existant. No lacing noted. Sweet chocolate, dark fruit and coffee are the overriding flavors. Does not do a good job of hiding the alcohol. This is its weakness and makes it much less drinkable than others. Average American Imperial.

beercar, Nov 24, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -16.7%

BORIS has a dark body that doesn't allow any light to travel through it. The head is a deep brown color, and it is at least two fingers tall. Retention and lacing are both pretty good.

The aroma has loads of chocolate, coffee, black malt, light roasted notes and malt sweetness.

I think I like how this one smells more than it tastes. Up front is a good dose of chocolate, with a moderate amount of coffee; the chocolate definitely dominates. Next comes a bit of black malt that mixes with a sweet, molasses or toffee flavor. A hint of dark fruit lurks underneath the malt base. The finish is where things go off course for me a little bit. A big American hop profile adds more bite or bitterness than flavor. The hops are followed by a huge alcohol warmth and a bit of a harsh alcohol flavor, which makes me less enthusiastic to take my next sip. The malt up front is so good, but it's always followed by that booze.

Although the heat and alcohol detract from how BORIS feels, it is still a full-bodied and creamy beer that feels pretty good.

Less booze and a little bit less hops and this one could rock. The malt base is pretty good. I'm guessing plenty of people love this the way it is, but it isn't quite there for me yet. Although BORIS is Certainly a pretty good beer.

Hojaminbag, Apr 05, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout is a big imperial stout that spent a bit too long in the fermentation vessel for my taste.

A: Deep black colour and a good brown head that lasts quite well. 4.5

S: Malty and strong yeast autolysis. 3

T: Malty with a sharp coffee flavour and yeast autolysis. This puppy was a little overcooked for my taste (i.e. spent too long fermenting). 3.5

M: Foamy and smooth. 4.5

O: 3.5

vandemonian, Nov 18, 2012
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Inky black with a small mocha head. Minimal lacing.

S - Roasted malt, coffee and a surprising amount of hops for such a dark stout.

T - Bitter chocolate, expresso, dark malts and more citrus-y hops. This is one of the hoppiest stouts I've tasted.

M - Very smooth and silky with a nice "prickly" carbonation. Does run a bit "hot" though.

D - Fairly easy to drink, just not sure if I'd want to. It was certainly smooth and creamy, but I just found this to be too hoppy for my taste. I like my stouts roasty and chocolately and the like. Other reviews mention nothing about the hop level, so perhaps I'll have to revisit this to see if it was an off bottle. Disappointing.

jsanford, Aug 18, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to BigBlacke for supplying this one at a tasting!

A-black, thin tan head

S-strong dark roasted malts. a tad boozey smelling. smells like quite a serious stout!

T-comes in with really deep and strong roasted malts. there's a large booziness of coffee and chocolate malts much like many of the imperial stout that I've had. the oats don't really come in til the after-taste along with some chocolate notes. overall, its a good imperial stout though i don't know if it compares to many of the others that i've tasted

M-low carbonation with a fairly dry finish

D-this is definitely a sipper and its not my stout of choice. the tastes do stay well but a whole bomber of this is just too much.

AdamBear, Feb 05, 2011
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes 08/28/11.

Thick, opaque black appearance, almost zero head and no retention. Aroma is chocolate coffee, oatmeal, and roasted notes. Nice smell. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, very enjoyable. Taste starts with chocolate, coffee, oatmeal with hints of leather, tobacco, and vanilla before finishing with a chalky bitterness. Overall, a barebones RIS but maybe I expected too much given friends recommendations and the rating on this site. The flavors are balanced nicely and complement each other minus the finish, which I don't think matched up to the rest of the present flavors. Didn't find much to distinguish it from the rest of the pack which is a bummer because I really wanted to like it. Just ok.

THEOPTIMATOR88, Sep 18, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Pours very dark brown, close to black and almost syrup like. There was a very small head that dissipated within a few seconds.

S - Smells of sweets and coffee, with hints of chocolate and oatmeal.

T - The taste is somewhat like chocolate/cocoa but without the sweetness. Slightly bitter but not overpowering with a coffee consistency.

Notes - Overall this is a good beer but it didn't blow my socks off. I would have another but wouldn't rush to the store to buy one.

ccahoon22, Oct 03, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Yeah it's big and it's big and chocolaty, but I didn't find this to be a particularly outstanding. It appeared pitch black with a tan head in my pint glass. The aroma is a mix of cocoa and burnt grains. The oats contribute to a very smooth flavor, but I'm thrown off by the feel and balance between what seems to be citrus hops and chocolate malts. They just aren't working. It makes for a less than ideal feel, but this beer is still very drinkable for it's size and weight.

tempest, Feb 07, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Revisiting this as part of an 8 beer, blind imperial stout tasting - re-reviewed on 5/14/11

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a New Belgium globe.

A - Clear, nearly black body with a low head with a cappuccino coloring that dies quickly and leaves behind only a low collar and a smattering of lace on the glass.

S - Floral, perfumey, berries, bit of chocolater. Almost raspberry-ish and a bit of lemony, citrusy aromas too.

T - Chocolatey - mostly milky with some darker bitter chocolate mixed in. Berry like sweetness and some hoppy bitterness. Low coffee-like and dark roasted malt bitterness too.

M - Lightish medium body with a lively light carbonation. Hoppy and bitter roast throughout

O - OK - middle of the tasting group so far. Not bad, not amazing. I recalled really liking this beer last time I had it, and we inserted this as a "control stout" into our tasting of mostly well hyped imperial stouts. Going in, we thought we might end up ranking this one very high in the group. Found that I was a bit let down and it didn't hold up to my memories. Body was a bit thin, not much roast/chocolate/coffee - fairly simple and low in complexity compared to the group.

portia99, May 16, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter, thanks to calbertb2. No apparent bottled on/best by date to be found.

A: Pours black with a dark ruby-like tinge around the edges. Two finger, extremely active bubbly head that fades away quickly with an immediate amount of decent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, licorice, cinnamon, sweet chocolate. More alcohol than I was expecting. Very earthy, some smoke.

T: Actually fairly bitter up front, the hops are certainly present. Coffee/espresso, fades to sweet malts. Something slightly medicinal and off-putting (phenolic?) mixed with some berry aromas. Strong alcohol presence at the back end with a nice roasty oatmeal finish.

M: Low carbonation, fairly thin, but syrupy and oh so sticky.

O: This was pretty lacking, but I had pretty high expectations - the basic flavors were there, but they didn't seem to work together so well, the negative flavors and alcohol burn detracted from them, and the mouthfeel was really pretty thin. By no means a bad beer, but nothing too special either.

tsatem, Apr 03, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -15.6%

Appearance - pitch black, very litte head

Smell - malty, chocolate, coffee, oatmeal

Taste - dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. Picked up some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - low to Medium... like my stouts to be a bit

Drinkability - decent, better then some, many Id prefer over it. I'd give it another try.

redsand22, Jan 20, 2011