B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 999 | Hads: 2,545
3.57/5  rDev -15.6%

Six month old bottle poured pitch black at 62F into a Duvel tulip. Aroma is surprisingly mild.

Very big. Very smooth. Great big smooth roastiness. Noticeable alcohol burn. Main flavor is of oats (toasted oats?), which manifests as a soft graininess. I didn't detect the fruitiness which other reviewers found. There is sweetness here, but it is more than balanced by the strong roastiness and the hops bitterness.

Overall, a little disappointing given the extreme hype on this website around this beer. (504 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Yeah it's big and it's big and chocolaty, but I didn't find this to be a particularly outstanding. It appeared pitch black with a tan head in my pint glass. The aroma is a mix of cocoa and burnt grains. The oats contribute to a very smooth flavor, but I'm thrown off by the feel and balance between what seems to be citrus hops and chocolate malts. They just aren't working. It makes for a less than ideal feel, but this beer is still very drinkable for it's size and weight. (475 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Revisiting this as part of an 8 beer, blind imperial stout tasting - re-reviewed on 5/14/11

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a New Belgium globe.

A - Clear, nearly black body with a low head with a cappuccino coloring that dies quickly and leaves behind only a low collar and a smattering of lace on the glass.

S - Floral, perfumey, berries, bit of chocolater. Almost raspberry-ish and a bit of lemony, citrusy aromas too.

T - Chocolatey - mostly milky with some darker bitter chocolate mixed in. Berry like sweetness and some hoppy bitterness. Low coffee-like and dark roasted malt bitterness too.

M - Lightish medium body with a lively light carbonation. Hoppy and bitter roast throughout

O - OK - middle of the tasting group so far. Not bad, not amazing. I recalled really liking this beer last time I had it, and we inserted this as a "control stout" into our tasting of mostly well hyped imperial stouts. Going in, we thought we might end up ranking this one very high in the group. Found that I was a bit let down and it didn't hold up to my memories. Body was a bit thin, not much roast/chocolate/coffee - fairly simple and low in complexity compared to the group. (1,175 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance - pitch black, very litte head

Smell - malty, chocolate, coffee, oatmeal

Taste - dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. Picked up some bitterness.

Mouthfeel - low to Medium... like my stouts to be a bit

Drinkability - decent, better then some, many Id prefer over it. I'd give it another try.

Serving type: bottle (330 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.4%

Yes! Hoppin' Frog is in South Bend! Pours really dark, black. Walnut colored head. Odor is chocolately, fruity and boozy. Smells fairly inviting and like it has the ability to make me drunk. Taste is a big smack of bitter chocolate and even more bitter coffee. a little harsh, probably a little young. Somewhat of a plummy, pruney taste as well. Velvety and full-bodied and thick. Yeah, its a bit harsh and overly bitter for how i like my RIS, but it might even out a bit with age. (481 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter, thanks to calbertb2. No apparent bottled on/best by date to be found.

A: Pours black with a dark ruby-like tinge around the edges. Two finger, extremely active bubbly head that fades away quickly with an immediate amount of decent lacing.

S: Roasted malts, licorice, cinnamon, sweet chocolate. More alcohol than I was expecting. Very earthy, some smoke.

T: Actually fairly bitter up front, the hops are certainly present. Coffee/espresso, fades to sweet malts. Something slightly medicinal and off-putting (phenolic?) mixed with some berry aromas. Strong alcohol presence at the back end with a nice roasty oatmeal finish.

M: Low carbonation, fairly thin, but syrupy and oh so sticky.

O: This was pretty lacking, but I had pretty high expectations - the basic flavors were there, but they didn't seem to work together so well, the negative flavors and alcohol burn detracted from them, and the mouthfeel was really pretty thin. By no means a bad beer, but nothing too special either. (1,018 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Since I live in Ohio, I'm almost ashamed that this is the first time I've tried anything from this brewery. Oh well...

A: Pours black as night. About a finger thick tan head that doesn't last very long.

S: The first thing I smell is alcohol. A little bit of malts and chocolate follow.

T: I have to say not a very good job masking the alcohol. I realize it's 9.4%, but still. I've had plenty of beers with higher ABV's where I couldn't tell. Pretty good otherwise- roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee. Not much in the way of hops.

M: Nice thick mouthfeel, carbonation pretty good (surprising given the modest head).

D: As I said before, I've had beers with higher ABV's that mask them better than this. Those beers I could be tricked into drinking too many- this one, although I enjoyed, I knew from the beginning would be my only one.

Pretty good stout, just not a great one. I will have to try more of this brewery's offerings. (936 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Poured into a snifter. Pours a dark black color with a light tan head that quickly disappears.

S- The aroma is very nice. Dark roasted malts, chocolate and some alcohol in the aroma.

T- The taste like the aroma is dark roasted malts with notes of roasted coffee beans and a warming finish from the alcohol.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount if carbonation.

D- Overall, BORIS is a good RIS that is definitely worth a try but there are many others that I would choose over this one. (521 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into 12oz glass

A- Poured a tar black- head starts at an inch and goes to nothing. No lacing at all.
S- has an oak-like, hardwood smell to it. You get some of that whiskey coming through as well.
T- little hints of coffee and chocolate coming through. Towards middle you get a big punch of the whiskey- you can really tell this is a barrel aged brew. Finishes with a touch of whiskey and then leaves you with bitter dark fruits. Fairly smooth.
M- very silky and thick brew. Good feel to it.

Overall this is a tasty brew. Very high abv and you can tell after the first swig- Drink it slowly and enjoy it. (612 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle acquired at Binny's in Chicago. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given its history on top 100 rankings and Hoppin' Frog's reputation. 9.4% ABV confirmed. 60 IBU. 22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard unbranded gold pressure cap served into a Mitchell's of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a quarter finger dark rich ran colour floater. No real head per se. Body colour is a solid dark black; nontransparent and opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. No lacing as the head recedes. It's appealing and the floater - though not a head - is attractive.

Sm: Dark malts, chocolate malt (with a bit of bitterness), caramel, and deep roast. I dig the roast. Cocoa. Lovely oats. Light proteins. A moderate strength aroma. Burnt malt. Fennel. Dark fruit emerges as it swarms. Milky. Marshmallow. Balanced and inviting. No hop or yeast character is detectable, nor is any alcohol.

T: Rich oats mix well with burnt malts, chocolate malt, and grains. Rich cocoa. Marshmallow. Buried roast. Light vanilla. Cream. Burnt bread. Chocolate bitterness. Charred bread. Light raisin. Well balanced; very drinkable for the style. Complex and tasty. Well put together. I do like it, but I'm not blown away. I don't find the "robust hop character" mentioned on the label, but the sweetness is nicely checked - I assume by the hop bitterness. No yeast character comes through, nor does any boozy alcohol.

Mf: Silky. Smooth and wet. Well carbonated. Good thickness. I love the smoothness contributed by the oats. Good thickness. Full body.

Dr: Drinkable, especially for its well hidden ABV. A solid Russian Imperial Stout that pushes the style. I'd get it again on-draught, but given its reputation I expected better. It's a tasty beer. I'll actually be able to kill this bomber alone, though I do wish I had a friend to help me. Luckily, it's not too sweet.

(2,115 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours brown and sits black with a moderate head. No retention and lite lacing.

S- not much of a smell. Subtle sweetness with darker fruits.

T- light heat with oatmeal sweetness and lighter dark fruit. Burnt roastyness and malt in the middle.

M- very smooth, almost flat.

O- maybe because i just had a nice serpent stout but this seemed a little lackluster. Hopefully the barrel aged is better (400 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -14.2%

The pour shows an Inky Black beer, no head to speak of, but i like seeing inky looking beers, so this looks nice to me. No real legs on the glass upon swirl, but a few tiny bubbles. Browning around the thin edges.
Aroma is primarily roast forward. There is some chocolate also. The bottle says this one is 60ibus but i am having a hard time finding that in this beers aroma.
The flavors are a creamy melted milk chocolate, the Oatmeal comes through with it's trademark creamy result on the mouthfeel while lending a bit to the malt character. The roast profile is very smooth, and bears a resemblance to a low acidity coffee with a medium roast from the sumatra/timor area with a splash of cream. mouthfeel could use a bit more viscosity, that would really bump this beer miles ahead, if this one had a darklord consistency it would be fantastic, pure chocolate milkshake.

i have eyed this one up for years, and just now got around to picking one up, it's a good beer that people who love beers that are chocolate forward but not cloying will enjoy. (1,050 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle. Pours black with no real head. Aroma of roasted malt, chocolate, and booze. Flavor is less intense, lots of general roasted malts and alcohol. A little flavorless for an imperial stout. Smooth drinking. Ok, but nothing I'm jumping over joy for.
Aroma: 8/10
Appearance: 3/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20
3.7/5 (326 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Presentation: Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an Imperial pint glass. Label is a sticker depicting a frog holding a mug of beer; very similar to other Hoppin Frog labels. Short description and some stats on the side. 9.4% ABV, 107 OG, 38 FG, and 60 IBU. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with 1/2 finger of very dark brown head. This settles to a thin ring around the glass and a few wisps of foam here and there. The beer itself is very, very dark; sucking the light bulbs out of their sockets. Completely opaque. Some sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong notes of roasted barley, slightly offset by an oatmeal sweetness. Hints of anise and coffee.

Taste: Decent alcohol bite upfront, delivers an immensely flavorful beer. Strong flavors of bitter roasted barley, dark chocolate, and astringent coffee. Very present warming alcohol in the finish, along with a long lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation level is average to higher than average. Maybe a little high for this style. Body is decent.

Drinkability: This one is certainly a sipper. While the beer is amazingly flavorful, there might be a little too much going on here; it doesn't meld well. The booze is a little too forward right now, maybe in a year it would be a better drink? (1,256 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Goblet. Glugs out of the 22 like old, gooey coffee. No head, just a faint ring of oatmeal.

Smells of lightly charred coffee roast. Fumey dark fruit, dusty cocoa, & toasted whole wheat.

Sweet burnt nuts & toast. Coffee grounds, rich blackened fruit, fudge, & pungent bitter green hops that linger on & on. Tar.

Thick, fudge-y, & barely carbed. Hot.

Too Intense. I feel defeated. Where's my teddy bear? (404 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Black with a foamy dark brown head.

The aroma is briefly of bittersweet cocoa, and coffee that transitions very nicely to a sweet oatmeal finish.

The taste follows the nose, with cocoa, coffee, roasty malts, and sweet oatmeal, though the flavors seem a little less well-integrated. The ABV is completely hidden in this one.

The mouthfeel has decent carbonation and is medium bodied, though it may be a bit light at times.

A decent oatmeal RIS, though I was surprised to find this wasn't brewed with any coffee as the flavor profile reminded me a bit of Mikeller's Beer Geek Breakfast. (621 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a black color without much of a head on it. A very small rim sits atop. Nose is chocolates with some vanilla and caramel. Taste is pretty similar. Really chocolaty all over with some nice notes of caramel and vanilla. Smooth, sweet RIS on display here. I have been wanting to try BORIS for a while and was really please with it. Recommended! (347 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

I’d like to thank SPLITGRIN for sending me this interesting beer.

Pours very dark, very thick and with little to no foam, no matter how high I poured the bottle from to try and create some. The aroma is just like a well crafted RIS should smell like: roasted and chocolate malts, coffee and vanilla notes, very clean and intense. Time to taste this bad boy. It’s a deceptive beer I’ll say. Deceptive in the way that it shows hardly any carbonation and yet once you take a sip of this your mouth tingles from it. It’s a BIG beer. The coffee is intense and also the chocolate and roasted malts, but the only drawback is that the alcohol is noticeable enough to worry me if I’ll be able to finish this bomber while I’m getting sleepy. As the beer warms up the alcohol seems to overpower in the aroma. The mouthfeel is rich and velvety only a bit too much carbonation. The more I sip it the more I get the alcohol in the taste and aroma which reminds me more and more of liquor, which I find that hard to tolerate now. The biggest drawback of this beer, for my taste is the strong alcohol presence. This beer is just not for me, but at least I got to try it. (1,165 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13%

Pours a thick black color with a very dark brown head. Aromas of espresso, roasted malt and dark chocolate. Thick and chewy body, with dark brown sugar, freshly brewed coffee with cream, dark raisins and baker's chocolate. Good, but a pedestrian imperial stout in my opinion. (275 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -13%

ok. My initial caveat is that I have Zero experience with style. I've always been a Belgian ale drinker, and a relative novice at that. But, I came to this site to expand my palate and seeing that more than 50% of RIS get A's, I figured I should introduce myself. Where better to start than with my local Akron brewery.

A - viscous and black. Oil in a glass. Very thin khaki head.

S- chocolate, burnt sugar, coffee beans

T- all of the above plus a bitter tobacco flavor that slowly transforms on the palate to a more conventional hop flavor.

M- it thick but not as thick as I would have guessed

D- what can I say. Its a sipper for me but there's nothing wrong with that. Don't imagine it was designed for quaffing. (722 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Poured a dark brown/almost black with a tan head. Nice appearance. Looks promising.

S: Smells of roasted malt, maybe a touch of licorice and chocolate

T/M: Enters the palate clean, roasty, velvety and chocolately. Initial taste and middle taste are good. It finishes a touch...burnt and bitter. Dissapointing end. However, knowing next drink will start of so well, its not a deal killer.

D: The bitter burnt flavor lingers much longer than it should. It was still there two glasses of water later. I know that that is part of the higher hopping rate at work, but its really not that much hoppier than Old Raspy. I wanted to love this beer and understand why others do. For me, its just not on the same level as other great RIS's. (735 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a Delerium Tremens snifter.

Pour is pitch black with a half finger of brown foam. Aroma is boozy, dark candied fruits, ripe plum. No hops detected in the nose.

First impresion is alcohol burn, followed by a roast, bready flavor. not as much coffee or chocolate flavors as I would expect. There is a lingering alcohol burn. While this beer is very viscous, I am not tasting a corresponding amount of intense flavor to back it up... a bit too boozy for my preference. This is by no means bad, just a little unbalanced. I'd like to see some more roasted flavor, or a nice hoppiness to round this beer away from the alcohol. (648 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Syrupy, fruity, dry, baker's chocolate RIS.
___

A: Opaque black body with a hint of dull ruby highlights that are only revealed when held to a light. A one finger creamy dark khaki head that quickly settles to a thin layer tops it off. '

S: This nose is all about the intersection between powdered baker's chocolate and sweet, overripe dark fruit, namely prune. Little hints of molasses, cinnamon spice, and roasted coffee are present, but most definitely in low relief. If hops are detectable, they are of the earthy variety and are not contributing much. Alcohol is there, but just as a edgy presence, not at all spirity.

T: Hops come through on the palate much stronger, meeting you up front on the tip of your tongue at first sip, tasting as a generic bittering rather than with personality. Cream, baker's chocolate, and dark fruit make up the body, together creating an effect that is firmly on the sweet side of the fence, almost syrupy. Hops and bitter burnt cocoa are always there waiting to tighten up the reigns however. Finish is shorter than average, on dry baker's chocolate and a slight off flavor.

M: Overall dry with some creamy meat and a grainy texture that sticks in the tongue even after the flavor is gone.

O: A solid effort and an enjoyable beer, but firmly in 'B List' territory. (1,309 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.5%

Slightly viscous, deep black appearance, topped with a thin ring of foam supported by subtle carbonation. Aroma of light smoke, roasty malt, and a hint of fruit. Suprisingly the fruitiness in the smell is almost like banana giving it a bit of a dunkelweizen like character when paired with the toasty malt. Light alcohol fume in the nose also.

The taste is very dry and toasty with almost a cookie-like malt sweetness finishing with notes of dark chocolate. I would say it is more fruity/tangy up front and more sweet/sugary toward the end. Unfortunately the rich chocolate flavors start to become a bit cloying after while. There is a full mouthfeel with a milk-like thickness, and the mild carbonation is just enough.

Not a bad Stout but I think it could have used more hop balance to stand up to the sweetness. A lot of people are going to like this beer, it's not quite what I had in mind but it is still pretty good... Thanks to ClockworkOrange for the bottle... (971 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Pitch black with just a hint of a caramel colored head. Bubbly lacing with not a lot of retention, but a ring lingers around the edge. Looks quite viscous...almost intimidating.

S- Coffee, toffee, and cocoa. Roasted nuts and resinous hops. Its not necessarily powerful aroma, but quite inviting. Roasted oats reign supreme.

T- A solid mix of what the nose picked up. Plenty of oats again. Not as intense as others of the style, nor does it have any major characteristics that wow me, but carries a level of simplicity and balance that is not to be overlooked. Caramel and espresso care not to be hidden. A nice hop profile to balance out the oats and intense coffee notes without going raw, harsh, or overly bitter.

M- Here is the true highlight of this beer and the measuring stick of most imperial stouts. Thick, viscous as can be with chewy like texture. Full body, yet smooth drinkability. Slightly dry. Basically no booze detected. A true champion in this arena.

O- With a name like BORIS the Crusher, I guess I just expected to be pounded with an overpowering profile. On the contrary, it actually turned out to be quite balanced, smooth, and palatable. (1,167 characters)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery