B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,011 | Hads: 2,606
4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

An excellent brew that I was happy to receive from Shades in Secret Halloween 2007.

Basically black in color with a nice frothy tan head that lasts for a while. Very rich roasted smell. Coffee and chocolate are huge here, along with a grassy hop and faint nutty undertone. Taste is much of the same. One of the most robust roasted Stouts I've tried for sure. Oatmeal comes through more in the taste than I noticed in the nose. Mouthfeel is rich and full with no alcohol present at all. Drinkability is good with the only setback being that this one is almost too full of roasted flavor. I really enjoyed this and will seek it out in the future.

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%

Got this in a trade with limesmut.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a deep black color with a mocha chocolate-colored head that lingers throughout the beer. Alot of lacing.

Smell and taste are a lot of sweet, roasted malts. This beer was like drinking a meal in a bottle. It was very rich, and very creamy.

An outstanding beer, and I'm glad I got the opportunity to try it out.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Vintage, this big beer pours near black with some deep brown highlights. The dark mocha head holds very well and leaves a nice lace on the walls of the glass.

The aroma consists of cocoa and some lighter coffee. Very roasty as well. Deep and earthy. Very appetizing.

Heavily roasted malt flavor hits you initially and lingers throughout. Sweet with lots of dark cocoa. A syrupy sweetness arises with espresso as well. A strong bread/grain backbone ties everything together nicely. A well pronounced bitterness in the finish rounds out this extremely flavorful and complex beer.

The mouthfeel is very thick and decadent with a heavy syrupiness and low carbonation. Formidable and satisfying on the palate. Certainly a must try, and one of my favorite selections from one of my favorite styles.

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%

I decanted this fine beverage into my De Garre snifter. I received this beer in a trade from jdoolin. Drinking this brew whilst continuing my month long Sopranos marathon.

This beer pours a thick looking, inky black with a thin dark brown head. No lacing. I know big beers can sometimes be undercarbonated, but this one needed a bigger head and more co2.

This beer has a nice smell. Chocolate dominates the nose, while there is a faint presence of earth hops as well. The roasted flavors come through, but are fairly light. There is a slight alcohol aroma as well, but the main smell is a complex sweet maltiness.

This is one thick, powerful brew. It was the taste of a thick molasses. But to compliment such a sweet taste, the roasted flavors come through. The roastiness is mush more present than in the smell. The hops are present in the aftertaste, and that along with a touch of alcohol really bring a nice depth to the beer. A dark chocolate bitterness lingers with this beer and will not leave my tounge (I just bumped up the taste to 5, I have not had a better RIS, taste-wise).

I am halfway through the beer now, and oddly enough I detect a bit more carbonation now. Still it could have used a bit more, this beer is a touch syrupy.

This is a very fine tasting beer. It would have been near perfect and much more drinkable if it had a bit more co2.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

I drank this one at cellar tempature. A vigorous pour gets a beautiful rsult. Thick oil black body hosts a one inch milk chocolate colored head. Looks like I might need a spoon for this one. Nice chocolate cola nose is vibrant and hosts notes of minerals and alchol. At first sip you get wonderful up front dark cacao chocolate. Roasty burnt malt highlights a tingley mouthfeel. Alchol is slightly noticeable on the tongue and on the belly. Ends with a slightly soured bitter that is indective of good dark chocolate finish. Drinks well even as it warms. For those who like thier stouts on the more bitter side.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from one of two cellared bottles at near cellar temperature to a half-pint glass.

A: Glugs from the bottle a rich, oily near-black. A fizzy lavender-brown head - yes, I said lavender - crests at about half a finger and dissipates fairly quickly; I'll attribute this to a warmer serving temperature(?). Held to light, this is virtually black, with only a sliver of ruddy amber hugging the edges.

S: Ho hum, just another awesome-smelling RIS. This one is big on the sweeter malts (thank you, oatmeal) with ample doses of vanilla, molasses, and chocolate-covered cherries. Only a trace of the medicinal bittering and a souring oxidation. Not quite as rich and complex as I'd hoped for; coffee, where are you?

T: Oh, very nice. Begins a little sweet: slightly smoky, tangy barbecued flavor. But ashy charcoal, tanned leather, and deeply-burnt grain quickly dispel any notions that this one will skimp on the bitterness. A full-on infusion of raw, ground coffee, splashed with drops of pure vanilla extract and juicy citrus hopping follows. Wow, this one builds and builds until, after several minutes, the taste buds beg for mercy. 'Only' 60 IBU's? Seems alot more bitter than that...

M: Smooth, velvety, flowing rich and full across the tongue and then grabbing hold. As thick as this one looked going into the glass, it was almost as thick in the mouth. This one developed slowly but surely, a thinner and more viscous mouthfeel at first, then layering warmth with each sip. Long-, long-, lo-o-o-n-g-lasting bitterness - the deepest and richest coffee roast I've encountered in a while.

D: Something to sip and savor - one of my new favorite RISs. A rich and complex ale worthy of high praise, one I'm very glad to have tried and will look forward to enjoying again. Very highly recommended. Thank you to jpm30 for sending a while ago...

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this on tap at Vintage wine and beer, just tapped...

A---deep black with a nice reddish hue to the head, plenty of retention

S---You can really smell the chocolate, barley, and oats..

T---Absolutely delicious, rich and flavorful, chocolate abound.

M---Full and chewy, nice.

D---This is a terrific beer. I had it on tap along with the Founders Breakfast stout at the same time, yeah, lucky me huh? I have to say that the Hoppin Frog took the Pepsi challenge and stood up quite nicely. This is a must try for anyone who loves this style of beer...

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

The beer pours a deep, dark black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a rich roasted and chocolate malt scent that is sweet and dessert like with a nice subtle roasted malt aroma. The taste is great as well. It has a wonderfully warm black and chocolate malt flavor. It's rich and powerful, yet highly enjoyable. This is a meal of a beer. It has a complex palate that resinates in the finish. The mouthfeel is great. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tremendous beer. It's bold and flavorful as well as enjoyable. Nice work!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I’ve been looking forward to trying Hoppin’ Frog since I learned of their existence. Through a stroke of luck there is a store in my area (From The Vine of course) that now carries them. As usual I went right to my favorite style first. This beer turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Pours thoroughly black with a medium thick and foamy head that lasts awhile. Nice patchy lacing. Big roasted malt aroma that has touches of chocolate and coffee as well. Rich body with a really flavorful with a roasty character. Lots of malt, chocolate, nuts and coffee flavors. Sweet touches of vanilla as well, and a bit of an alcohol presence. The finish is long and tasty with hops and sweet malt. An admirable offering from a new brewer!

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Viggo was nice enough to share this one. thanks eric!

22oz bottle.

pours deep inky black. no light even sneaking through around the edges. a nice dense brown head rises up and very slowly falls leaving spotty lace behind.

aroma is great. nice roast. big bread and biscuit malts. alcohol. light anise. lots of caramel. bit of toffee. toasted multigrain bread. a bit of vanilla. dark chocolate.

taste is great. roast. bit of alcohol. big bread and biscuit malt. bittersweet and dark chocolate. touch of vanilla. caramel sweetness. coffee. toasted bread. hint of grain. medium-low bitterness level, mostly coming through as bakers chocolate. as it warms the alcohol comes through a little more, and it seems to get even more biscuit character.

mouthfeel is good. big and chewy, especially as it warms. slightly less than medium carbonation level works ok. just a touch of astringency.

drinkability is good. well balanced and very good. as it warms the alcohol comes out a bit more, but mostly as a little bit of warmth and isn't at all unpleasant. great stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Like used motor oil, but with less lubricating properties. There was a small milk chocolate colored head right after the pour, but it went away pretty quickly.

S: Dark roasty coffee and chocolate dominates in this aroma.

T: Wow. This is good. The coffee and chocolate flavors are more subdued in the flavor than they were in the aroma for sure, but it's still damn tasty. The creaminess from the oatmeal is there as well and there is some vanilla in the background. There is a bunch of residual sweetness.

M: It actually is a bit thin for the style, but still decently heavy. It actually gets a big heavier towards the back of the palate.

D: This is a good beer all around. I do question why they put strong beers in bigger bottles though. This is the equivalent of almost 4 regular beers worth of alcohol.

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer is absolutely delicious. Be extremely careful, it is very potent, too. I could drink 100 of these in a sitting if I could walk upright. Nice chocolatey malts, poured nice tan head, but disapated quickly. Different than most imperial stouts because the bitterness is NOT overwhelming. It's dry, sweet, and clean. Some coffee flavors but they do not dominate. Very smooth beer and very underrated!

One of the most memorable beers I've had.

This brew combines my two favorite styles and delivers on both with a payload of flavor, body, and interest.

Pour: Black, thick, with a dark head. Yes!

Smell: Enormous, malty, and with some sweetness. Yes!!

Mouthfeel: Full, creamy, slick. Yes!!!

Taste: Huge helping of malts, boosted by a tremendous body and presented nicely with just the right combination of the flinty or grainy notes of dark malts and the balancing and body-fortifying effects of the oats. Perfect amount of carbonation carries this beer effectively on the palate. Flavors of chocolate, coffee, nuts, and an almost wine-like presence made this one incredible beer. YES!!!!

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher now has a space in my top ten favorite beers, and it will become a regular in my purchases. I'm also pleased to be able to support an Ohio brewery.

4.4/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours from the bottle like I just struck oil. A dark chocolate mousse head forms in slow motion, this is some 10W30. Smells of dark chocolate covered cherries with a hint of expresso. Big roasted malt and ground coffee taste. Finishes with the chocolate covered cherry taste. Full in the mouth with some carbonation. Between warming effect and taste, the A.B.V. is noticeable. A sipper no doubt. Quite a delight this one, a must try.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a masterpiece. I had the opportunity to taste it again thanks to Risser09 who brought this back from his trip to Ohio. I had B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher mixed in with a stout tasting once before and really enjoyed it. This time, the opportunity to sit and leisurely quaff B.O.R.I.S. I realized how truly magnificent the beer is. We then lined up some other highly regarded stout and BORIS Crushed them.

Appearance: Absolute Black! It formed a small brown thick head even in my tasting snifter.

Smell: It has a rich aroma of molasses and bold thick chocolate, dark heavy fruits and booze. A port like attribute and a roasted grain chocolate milkshake character. To simply call it 'enticing' is a gross understatement of the aroma.

Taste: How could this possibly follow through on all the nose promises? ... Well, it does. And beautifully too. Bold black malt, coffee, roasted grain, chocolate, prune, date, cherry, cocoa again, milk, caramel and grape with vinous alcohol and an espresso bitterness. Spectacular!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is this beer is what crushed all the other stouts it was put up against. It is ridiculously viscous! It leaves a thick coat that looks like sticky motor oil behind on the glass. Reminiscent of Dark Lord. The carbonation is irrelevant with this huge full body.

Drinkability: This beer is a nightcap. In fact you could skip dinner and just eat this as your meal. It is very tasty and I would like an entire bomber to myself. After that I am going to sleep. It won't take much more.

Hope this is helpful.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Bold roasty flavour, almost wafting several feet. Some material head. Dark black. Very full mouthfeel, breakfast in the glass. A prominent sourness, yet well balanced by caramel maltiness yet not too sweet, cocoa, creamy milk chocolate, nutty and cherry and drinkable. Understated carbonation.

Outstanding RIS, oatmeal stout, beer thanks to Aofoxxy. I left one glass for 24 hours for my buddy and he thougt it was good even then.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Notes from a tasting I uncovered while cleaning. This was Alefest Columbus '07.

Pours a rich dark color with a dark tan colored bubbly head. Head quickly died down to leave the black as night colored stout in my glass. Smell brings out the toasted malt, and coffee aromas. The taste is where I really loved this one. Smooth, rich, creamy, cocoa and toasted malt that I really enjoyed. Mouth is medium bodied and smooth and made for a very enjoyable drink. I actually went back and got a second. I was very impressed with this one!

3.65/5  rDev -13.7%

I’d like to thank SPLITGRIN for sending me this interesting beer.

Pours very dark, very thick and with little to no foam, no matter how high I poured the bottle from to try and create some. The aroma is just like a well crafted RIS should smell like: roasted and chocolate malts, coffee and vanilla notes, very clean and intense. Time to taste this bad boy. It’s a deceptive beer I’ll say. Deceptive in the way that it shows hardly any carbonation and yet once you take a sip of this your mouth tingles from it. It’s a BIG beer. The coffee is intense and also the chocolate and roasted malts, but the only drawback is that the alcohol is noticeable enough to worry me if I’ll be able to finish this bomber while I’m getting sleepy. As the beer warms up the alcohol seems to overpower in the aroma. The mouthfeel is rich and velvety only a bit too much carbonation. The more I sip it the more I get the alcohol in the taste and aroma which reminds me more and more of liquor, which I find that hard to tolerate now. The biggest drawback of this beer, for my taste is the strong alcohol presence. This beer is just not for me, but at least I got to try it.

3.45/5  rDev -18.4%

This beer is dark, black with a rich chestnut head even though from a rough pour not much head is produced. Since the head is a little weak there's little retention and lacing to speak of.

The first thing I picked up was a stinging alcohol presence which is a little surprising since generally speaking 9% is pretty easy to bury, especially in rich malts. Aside from the rough alcohol there's big scents of coffee and strawberry fruit snacks. Overall the scent has a good potency which has been missing in some recent beers I've had.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
The coffee subsides in the flavor giving way to more of the candy cherry and strawberry notes. The malts come across in more of a bitter dark chocolate kind of way and there's a healthy dose of oatmeal which lends a substantial amount of viscosity to the beer. The alcohol has become a bit more subdued but it's still apparent as a brief astringent tinge towards the end of the drink. The finish is Ovaltine like and carries that flavor in to the aftertaste.

This is a decent stout but it doesn't play well to my flavor preference for stouts (it's a little too dark and rich) and as such I'm not finding it very downable. I don't know, I just got done with my daily run an hour ago so maybe it's just not refreshing enough at the moment but either way I'm not feeling it.

Bottom Line:
Another pretty good beer from Hoppin' Frog, a brewery I'm coming to like more and more. If you're in to really rich stouts then this would be the one for you. I'm looking forward to revisiting this beer during the winter, perhaps an aged bottle as I feel this beer could benefit from some rounding of the rough edges.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

Black, thick, syrupy looking with very little head (what there was was very dark colored) and very little carbonation.

Roasty, coffee, sweet aroma with some vanilla notes as it warmed. Nothing stood out, though.

Flavor was sweet and malty, roasty and finished with an almost sourish, bitter hop finish. Fairly complex, though not the most pleasing RIS taste I've had.

Mouthfeel was very thick, syrupy, but quite smooth on the palate. A little to syrupy for me, and the flavors were just not balanced and harmonious to make me love it.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A pitch black color, with a dark brown colored head forming, about an inch thick. Visually this beer looks thick, almost like oil. The scent of sweet malt, with chocolate and coffee fragrances, plus the sweet fragrance of oatmeal. That is followed by a dried fruit, mostly currants and raisons, there is the slightest twinge of alchol at the end. The malt and oatmeal starts at the front, then a coffee bitterness hits midway, then it has a bit of a citrus twange at the back of the palate. The oil look is deceiving, when it hits the mouth it is a lighter feel at the front and rolls to the back, gain weight to its texture along the way. There is a bit of warming feel of alchol at the end. This a very, very good beer, the usual suspects one would find in imperial stout, but the edition of oatmeal makes it sweeter and smoother. This just beckons one to drink this beer, a great sipping beer.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Reminds me of chocolate syrup, thin dark head matching the dark beer appearance, but thick taste and mouth consistency. Not just a nice chocolate but a good dark belgium chocolate with caramel, not to sweet, with a little coffee after taste. Wants to be drunk slowly and enjoyed.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks goes out to trep for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a deep black color, some carbonation, tiny fizzy tannish head, some oil slicks were left behind. The nose is malty, roasted, slightly oaked, tons of toffee/coffee/caramel. The taste is malty/roasted, big big toffee/coffee/caramel flavour, YUMMY! The alcohol is hidden pretty well, a slight dry/bitter finish. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is an awesome RIS, highly recommended. I will have to try some of the other offerings from this brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from the 22 oz bomber ($6.99 at Jungle Jim's) into a pint glass to produce a thick 1" layer of dark tan foam over an opaque ebony liquid. The lacing on the glass, as I drink, is probably the thickest lacing I've ever seen!

The aroma was very pungent... sweet caramel and dark chocolate.

The taste: WOW! a GREAT RIS! The first thing to hit me is a nice warming sweetness. Lots of dark chocolate and warm malt. What have I gotten myself into here?.... This is so rich and flavorful that I'm questioning my ability to finish the bomber on my own! Well, I'll take my time and thoroughly enjoy this one! The taste continues to produce many sensations as I drink. There is a bitterness in the finish that is like a woodsy, charcoal finish.... GREAT BALANCE of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Great for a RIS.... thick, robust, chewey, low carbonation. Mouth coating and aftertaste will be with me for quite some time.

Drinkability: HEY!... this is a Russian Imperial Stout.... 9.4% abv! You're not going to sit down and have 3 bombers of this by yourself! But for the style.... it's RIGHT ON! This is a beer that drinks like a MEAL!... in fact.... that's my LUNCH for today. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... go out and find this and have one for yourself... half a pint to go.... I.... can... make.... it...OK... this is my new REFERENCE RIS... formerly Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout.... This one knocked Brooklyn off it's pedestal... It was VERY CLOSE.... but I think this one wins.... Just for kicks.... I should do a side-by-side comparison some day.

All 4.5's for this one.... I must leave room at the top for another beer to come along and dethrone this one...

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to BuckeyeNation for this treat.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours an absolute midnight black with a fluffy two finger brown head that definitely takes its time to die down to a nice layer that lasts throughout. Stickiness is amazing, all over the sides of the glass. Smell, now this is how an Imperial Stout should smell. Sweet toasted oat is what mostly dominates the nose followed by a milk chocolate mixed with brown sugar. A nice roasted nut smell and a tiny hint of alcohol seem to tingle the nose as well. Taste is a bit of a shock. Lots of smokey, pitch black french roast coffee off the tongue first thing followed by a very woody/caramel malt. Finish and aftertaste is a bit sweeter, luckily, with a nice oatmeal and sugar flavor. I really didn't expect the taste of this one to be so smokey. Mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied with minimal carbonation. Big warming sensation while it slides down the throat. Warming comes from the alcohol but it isn't overwhelming by any means. Somewhat tough to finish a bomber by myself, I recommend sharing with a friend.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery