B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at The Bling Tiger, NYC.

Poured a deep black hue with a one finger tan head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a structured dark chocolate and burnt grain.

The taste consisted of a very dry semi sweet chocolate with elements of caramel, coffee and smoke. Perugina dark chocolate came to mind.

The mouthfeel was toward the drier side of the style.

Overall a superior RIS.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of korguy123, shared with a buddy. Poured into a snifter, cheers dude!

Pours a truly midnight black, with a dark brown head and red highlights. Gorgeous, I know this is gonna crush me. Finger or so of head settles to an extremely thin layer with a collar. Aroma is of vanilla, molasses, roasted maltiness and a whiff of booze. Taste is fairly similar, leading with some roasty and boozy mouth and becomes an intricate mix of chocolate, molasses, a touch of coffee and alcohol that glides slickly over the tongue. Maybe a touch of dark fruits in the finish here, ends slightly dry also. This mouthfeel is unreal, like velvet on the tongue. Drinkability is quite high as well, alcohol is not completely hidden but is intricately woven amongst the other elements of this beer. An excellent beer, truly.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Poured a thick and viscose engine oil color with deep plum highlights around the edges. A cinnamon colored head with dark cherry tints sits atop that was creamy and flat, about ½ finger high, before quickly diminishing to a scattered whispy covering. The head coloring I thought was the best aspect here while it left a thin, broken ring lacing behind upon its demise.

S: a fresh hot creamy oatmeal aspect to it to start out backed by a strong dark roasted coffee offering. Alcohol also dominates here with some dried cherries adding to the supporting cast. A touch of burnt chocolate, and dark ripe plums become evident before yielding to a earthy soil bitterness on the finish. Moderate in strength overall, my only complaint here is I wish it was stronger, otherwise was nicely done.

T: The flavor begins with a deep earthy soil bitterness as dictated by the nose, dark plums and roasted coffee dominate right from the start. Ripe cherries and alcohol add medicinal notes and a warming flavor and sensation. The malting was rich and dark with a light smooth charred flavor that was surprisingly clean off the tongue. A big earthy bitterness lingers a bit after the swallow with a noticeable alcohol detection.

M: thick and viscose as the pour suggested with a silky smooth texture and feel. A soft carbonation adds to the luscious and creaminess of the body making this a fit example per style.

D: Overall drinkability was good, a beer that was certainly big on style and substance, one that deserves to be sipped and savored. Boozy, thick and viscose one should be enough to satisfy. The beer does get progressively smoother to drink while the alcohol is quite noticeable upon warming.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass, the beer is viscous and jet black with a dark chocolate colored, thin, dense head. Smells of chocolate, dark malt, and booze. The beer has a smooth start of subtle chocolate notes followed quickly by a bitter blast of coffee. Slightly malty and syrupy finish with smooth and coffee flavored aftertaste, and a boozy highlight. Strong flavors make a decent winter warmer, but not a high volume consumption.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours jet black with a dark mocha head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing on the way down. Aroma of Coffee roast chocolate and brown sugar. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, dried fruit, a little alcohol. Has a roast bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste forever. The mouthfeel is oily yet creamy as hell. Thick syrupy body, light carbonation. This is a damn fine imperial oatmeal stout, I can't believe it took me so long to try this.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz (cellared for at least 6 months) ... I can't remember who I got this one from ... but if you're the person, please contact me so I can edit the review. Shared with trading partner... mine from my New Belgium snifter. Reviewed last night .. but I kept really good notes.

1" very dark brown head.. looks like the cap on an espresso... No light is making it through this one ... no lacing.

Aroma is coffee and semisweet chocolate .. some cinnamon notes ... traditional roasted smells .. but smoother... spicy alcohol as it warms.

Flavor is reminiscent of a thick extremely rich Mexican hot chocolate ... or just a tab of Mexican chocolate melted and poured into my mouth.. French Roast with a thick lingering finish. Fairly viscous .. not much carbonation.

Very tasty but I would really only be able to handle one glass .. maybe a bomber .. Simply too lush ... This is definitely a special occasion beer for me, even if I had ready access.

4.42/5  rDev +4.5%

Received from nlmartin as part of BC2. Thanks Nate!
Pretty much black with a thin, dark brown head. The fine bubbles showed fair retention and some lacing. Looked pretty thick from the pour. Roasty coffee aroma, rich maltiness, caramel, nuts, chocolate, vinous fruit, and mild alcohol - quite nice. Relatively low bitterness when balanced against the huge caramel character. Roasted coffee flavours sat on the back of the palate, and notes of sour cherry and dark chocolate filled out the middle. Kind of doughy with mild alcohol flavour throughout. Full/heavy bodied with low carbonation, quite creamy and palate coating. A little slick with a bit of of tannin dryness. Very tasty. Well balanced alcohol and solid flavours make this a smooth and easy drink.

4.45/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to brandy snifter

A - Pitch black in colour and very thick during pouring. A small amount of espresso coloured head formed.

S - Intense nose of dark fruit up front with chocolate and plenty of sweet molasses. A very nice nose.

T - The dark fruit and chocolate realy ocme through on the palate with a very sweet compliment of molasses and brown sugar.

M - Medium body, lightly carbonated. Slightly watery at times.

D - An excellent IS. I enjoyed every drop of this one.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

I'd say it's more of an american double stout, but either way it's a great brew!

A: Black with a dark, tan head; very little retention, only a slight leg.

S: Very roasty: coffee, black-strap molasses, dark chocolate, nuts; a good hop nose: pine, grass, floral & a little citrus. As it warms the alcohol comes forward with sherry cask-like aroma's, along with a slight bubble-gum fruitiness.

T: Awesome tar-like bitterness upfront, black-strap molasses, bakers chocolate, pine, hints of floral and a little citrus in the finish. There's also a slight fruitiness (dark & candied) from the ale yeast, which is often lacking in the new-world versions.

M: Thick, syrupy body has a slightly dry, alcohol finish. A fair amount of roasted & hop acidity, though the oats do smooth it out. Wow, the FG is 38! I'm not sure I've drank anything that thick before! Surprisingly, there isn't a hint of cloying sweetness.

D: Incredibly drinkable for its weight.

Thanks to SkinnyElvis for this Halloween '08 treat!

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%

4.06/5  rDev -4%

Big thanks to nlmartin for hooking me up for BC2!

Pours a deep and opaque black, like night, thick brown head, nice lacing and great retention, looks pretty badass. Smell is alcohol, chocolate and coffee roast, some oats, licorice, cherries, quite nice, very rich. Taste is vanilla, chocolate and coffee roast, oats, dark fruits, alcohol, touch of licorice and toffee. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation, very warm, but pretty smooth. Nicely done but you really get the 9.4%. Thanks again Nate!

4.59/5  rDev +8.5%

Crush ME!!!! Damn that's a good Stout! Trying the Crusher Imperial Stout from Hoppin Frog after an evening of sled riding....Great beer to end the night with. The beer pour a oil black with very thin tan head that does not appear to be lacing in my chalice glass. The smell is a beautiful chocolate with hints of roast and espresso. The taste great balance of chocolate, roast, and booze. The mouthfeel is full bodied with smooth carbonation. Overall this is a great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

A: The pour is pitch black, kind of thick. The head is brown and of medium-size, compact. Dissipation leaves decent lacings.

S: Roasted sweet malt, lots of dark dried fruits. Dark bitter chocolate togheter with strong black coffee. Some vanilla.

T: Roasted malt, still sweet. Dark dried fruits. The chocolate is well balanced by the espresso-like coffee. Some bitter hops and vanilla.

M: Medium boyd (?!) and low carboantion - very smooth though. Aftertaste stays for some time and holds both sweetness as well as bitterness.

O: A nice beer that is highly gulpable, despite the high ABV.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

650ml bomber poured into tulip may,21,2011

A shes pretty dark right out of the bottle with some cola around the edges of the glass. It has one of the darker mocha heads I've seen recently but it falls fairly quickly and leaves just a few random patches of lace

S lots of bakers chocolate, some booze, raisin, and a little licorice and espresso

T what I smell but darker with some charred wood and even more espresso and super dark chocolate. A little more intense then the smell with just a little sweetness, the booze gets in the way just a little but for 9.4% its not to bad

M nothing to thick but far from thin with enough carbonation to give it some life and just a little booze burn, flavors linger very strong for quite some time

O pretty solid beer overall, something I wish I could get in my part of the world, tasty stuff

I'm pretty happy I got to finally try this one and I need to thank liamt07 for sending it my way

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Picked up a bottle of this at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville, NC.

Pours opaque black with a half-finger tan head. I think this beer actually sucks in light, I feel like I'm holding a black hole in my hand. The head dissipates fairly quickly into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of roasted malt, with solid amounts of molasses and dark chocolate. As it warms the molasses overtakes the roasted malt aromas and whiffs of dark fruit come out every now and then.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Roasted malt flavors up front while it's warm with molasses joining in midway through the sip and ending with a mild dark chocolate bitterness. As with the smell, as it warms the molasses takes over.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a silky thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I would prefer a bit more roasted malt, but as it is it's still very easy to drink.

Overall this beer definitely delivered on the mouthfeel, but I was a bit let down in the aroma and flavor departments - though I must say my expectations were high. Certainly worth a shot for you to judge for yourself.

4.55/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this in a trade with Yamar18. Thanks Kevin!

It pours a very very dark brown(not quite black to my eyes) and whilst pouring, I didn't see any foam until I finished. Then, a small but nice inch of tan foam showed up. Nice looking lacing hugging my glass.

The smell has notes of coffee, dark chocolate, and dark fruit and a touch of alcohol. Oh, and it smells pretty roasty too. I almost forgot to mention that. ;^)

The taste is yummy. I'm getting milk chocolate and coffee, roasted malt, oats(yeah!)and some dark fruit. I love the way the sweet malty flavour from the chocolate works so well with the roasted malt and coffee bitterness; I notice it mentions hops on the label and I guess there's some there but I feel most of the bitterness comes from the roasted malt and coffee.

This certainly is a very smooth drinker and the alcohol, though noticed in the nose, is pretty well hidden when I'm sipping on it. It also has a nice thickish and creamy mouthfeel.

Ok, I've had a few more sips and the sweet aspect of this Stout is a bit more pronounced(maybe because it's warming up? I took it straight out of the fridge) and actually, quite welcome. I love what is going on here so I'll have to give a big salute to Hoppin' Frog for brewing it and again, to Kevin for sending it my way. I have *another* bottle to enjoy but I'm going to drink it fresh as well so no cellaring for this baby. ;^)

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a Hoppin' Frog bomber into pint glasses. The beer was thick and black with a poofy tan & wet head. The aroma was coffee and burnt malts, the flavor was smooth dark sweet malts. Very thick and rich, but still a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Real nice, my first and only imperial oatmeal stout.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery