Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial StoutB.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: klewis on 11-10-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,002 | Hads: 2,559
4.48/5  rDev +5.9%

This was one hell of a Stout.

It poured like texas tea out of the bottle with a thin, mocha colored head. So black, Me thinks Hades himself has ever seen such a hue.

The aroma coincides with the taste, a truly layered, roasty, carmely, toffee-like, hoppy, explosion of flavors, centered with an ethanol bite that brings everything to a point.

Truly a REAL ALE, I actually opened it up, and recapped it after having it open for about 30 mins. 18 hrs later when I took the cap off expecting a flat stout, the cap rocketed off such a vigo as Ive never seen!

This beer would proudly tango any dairy laiden dessert, however can march into the world venison, and aged steak quite nicley. I would also thing certain cajun seafood dishes would meet their match with this guy. (771 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a dark black with a creamy brown head.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, and a boozy aroma of dark fruits.

Taste: Dark chocolate and roasted coffee. The finish is slightly boozy with a lot of dark fruit flavor. Overall the beer is balanced a little towards the sweet side - although not so much as to be cloying.

Mouthfeel: Decadent, rich and creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: An excellent imperial oatmeal stout. One of my favorite beers and one I go back to again and again. (521 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -12.1%

22oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a thick brown with minimal to no head. Nice lacing along the glass.
S: Sweet licorice.
T: Upfront-dark fruit, Finish-roast. Somewhat more boozy than I would have thought for 9.4% abv.
M: Nice

This is my first Hoppin' Frog experience. There's nothing bad about this beer, but at the same time I don't find anything great about it. (388 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

poured out black as night which was expected. The head had a brown lacing to it. Dark malts and coffee were right up front on the smell, with oat overtones coming through as it warmed. Coffee was in the taste too with a little bit of hops to even it out. Very good brew in my opinion with a heavy mouthfeel. (307 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance
Jet black with a dark brown head. Very little head

Smell
Dark chocolate, espresso, a little dark fruit.

Taste
Follows through on the smell but more of a milk chocolate flavor. Middle of the sip is creamy, velvety, Graham cracker and finishes liKe a s'moore.

Mouthfeel
Medium and very low carbonation

Overall
Tis is frickin fantastic. Reminds me of Brooklyn chocolate stout but bigger and creamier. This may be mynfavorite RIS because I love the chocolate in stout and when dark fruits are barely there. A+. I will definitely seek more of this!!! (562 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Pitch black color, no light gets through the beer when held up to the light. The look of the beer is "thick" which I find appealing for a stout and goes the a liquid meal standard. Head is minimal on a standard pour into a glass and would be nice if it could be a bite thicker.
-- Bottle is well designed and catches the eye when on a shelf. Bottle cap is a boring gold cap, probably one of my few critiques of the beer I have.

S: Great roasty/smokey smell with a rich malt. However, as the beer warms up, there is a distinct alcohol smell on the backend that can be appreciated

T: Fantastic, full bodied stout with roasted caramel/malt flavor and smokey flavors. Again as the beer warms, the high alcohol content can be appreciated.

M: Silky smooth through and through

O: One the best oatmeal stouts I have had to date. Highly recommended but if the taste of "liquor style alcohol" is turn off for you, make sure to keep the bottle chilled as you enjoy.

Serving Style: Bottled (991 characters)

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Session notes from March 15, 2007:

Poured a 22oz. bomber into a tankard.

A: Pours opaque dark brown with a thick dark tan head. Looks very tasty.

S: Sweet, nutty, and alcohol.

T and M: Smooth, full-bodied, and surprisingly well-balanced. Finishes with a strong, syrupy, roasted flavor.

D: Very drinkable considering the size of this beer.

Highly recommended. (376 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into Yuengling draft glass.

A- Motor oil black body with a half finger of foamy mocha-colored head that dissipated quickly. Given the high ABV and my passive pour, couldnt expect much of a head.

S- Not a very strong aroma, but picked up some hints of roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee.

T- Chocolate, black coffee up front are followed by a burnt, almost charred malt flavor culminating in a slight bitterness on the finish that lingers a little. Alcohol is noticeable in the taste but not overpowering.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. A tad less body to it than I wouldve liked, but not bad. If it were a little heavier, it would've likely given a better backdrop to the 9.4% ABV coming through and a more balanced taste.

O- A solid, but not spectacular RIS. With it being a GABF winner, I hoped for a little more, but it didn't suck. Still not North Coast's Old Rasputin though. (912 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a flute glass.

A - Oil slick black with a brown tan head, about a 1/2 inch with a gentle pour. Recedes to almost nothing and leaves little lacing.

S - This where it starts to shine. First whiff gives an idea of the strong roasted malts used in this beer. Followed by notes of bittersweet chocolate and coffee. At times there are faint scents of bitter hops that fight (feebly) to make it through.

T - Most evident flavor is roasted malts which with a combination of burnt oats almost lends a smoky flavor. Not sure if there may have been some smoked malts used here. Certain sips give notes of bittersweet chocolate and roasted colombian coffee. The bitter bite of the burnt grains is complemented nicely by sweet citrus hops, maybe a sweeter grapefruit or even tangerine.

M - Medium to heavy body, almost chewy at times. Carbonation is spot on. Burnt oats sticks to the entire mouth and lingers for days.

D - I think even addressing whether I would drink this one again is a ridiculous question. I love that this RIS downplays the hop bite and instead really focuses on providing a complex profile of maltiness. An absolute treasure. (1,167 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to ridglens and AWolf for this beer!

Intresting beer, was really looking forward to this taste, Hoppin' Frog really impressed me with some of their beers.

Solid head and look, nice and deep brown.

A lot thinner than I thought it would be, but a solid coffee and oatmeal taste the whole way throughout. Really balanced beer, which I think is sometimes underappreciated these days.

Kind of disappointed as the beer fades, doesn't really linger as long as thought it would, but still good! (499 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours out black as night with a two+finger, dark brown head.

Smell is dark roasty, definate dark fruits, etc. Taste is really nice dark roast with the dark fruits but just a really nice combo Really impressed. Mouthfeel is is plenty thick and definately up to expectation. Really a nice beer. (293 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

B.O.R.I.S pored from a bomber into a tasting glass.

Pours jet black with little to no head. The slight caramel head that appears resides to the sides quickly.

Beer smells of toffee, maple, coffee and chocolate. The nose it pretty light but what I can smell is complex.

The beer is very smooth and incredibly easy drinking at near 10% abv. I taste some smoky notes as well as coffee, maple and chocolate. This beer drinks great for what the nose lacks the taste conquers.

Great Beer.

Cheers (494 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%

22oz. bomber poured into pint glass.

A: Pitch black with a small tan head that dissipates quickly to almost nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: Brown sugar, molasses, dark chocolate cake are predominant. A little of bit of raisin and alcohol.

T: Chocolate cake, dark dried fruits, pronounced coffee and roasted flavors mainly in the aftertaste. A little bit of a lactic or malted milk ball flavor, some vanilla. Some sweetness from the malt and the oats add a nice touch.

M: Very velvety smooth, full bodied, creamy, like syrup. Not much carbonation.

D: Would be nice on a cold winter day, and a good dessert beer, however it is rather filling.

Another excellent imperial stout. It seems like it must be an easy style to brew since good ones are all over the place. I think I will save my second bottle to see how this beer changes after a year. (850 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Black, with a thin, dark tan head that goes away rather quickly

S: Chocolate with a hint of dark cherries or dates

T: Dark chocolate, roasted malt, a bit of coffee, dark fruit

M: Full bodied, yet smooth with a slight hop bitterness at the finish. Very well balanced

O: The oats in the mash add the perfect complement of smoothness and sweetness to the imperial stout style. With 60 IBUs, the hop balance is absolutely perfect. At a deceiving 9.4% abv, this is one of the most well balanced and drinkable RIS's I've had so far. A definite winner. (552 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A. Black body w/dark tan head that fades quickly into a ring around the snifter.

S. Chocolate, cold coffee, alcohol, roasted malt

T. Robust black coffee, chocolate, faint smoke roasted malt,

M. Creamy, sweet, robust, alochol in the finish

D. Well balanced stout. Highly drinkable for almost 10% (298 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle is a couple of years old. Bottlecap darkly discolored under the seal, but seal still intact. Pretty intense sweet & sour nose. Tres tasty. Good balance between sweet & roasty, so that every sip and swish brings different tastes. Not a lot of bitterness, which is right up my alley. One of the better RIS's I've had. (322 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

From notes

22oz bomber Bought in Davis Square

A - Nice thick head settled quickly though and like most oatmeal stouts does not keep the head for long. nice dark black.

S - nice roasted malt smell, dark choco

T - tatse follows nose. acohol present not over powering. taste of chocolate roasted taste mocha, tasty

M- thick, very heavy beer matches the combination of the styles

D - Very heavy like the beer but loses some points for viscous nature.

Definitely worth a try. (477 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

WOW!! Be careful with this one. It pours like the finest motor oil available. Super-dark, super-rich with little head. This bomber will leave you bombed by the end if your not careful. Great chocolate, oatmeal, and slight alcohol taste upfront. I detected a nice, clean, coffee, roasted malt and molassas-like finish. While there isn't much of a head, it drinks rather creamy. If you are looking for a Big, I mean Big beer. This one is for you. It was worth the wait, as it took a while for me to locate a bottle. Drink responsibly...this one could hit you like a hammer as the alcohol seems more prevelant as the beer opens. What a great imperial. (648 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

It's a cold Sunday here in New York, a day that begs for some nice, high ABV Stouts. Luckily, I have been hanging onto BORIS for a while for a day just like this. So after scampering around all morning to get the stew on its slow simmer towards excellence, I sit down at my desk with a some nice aged sheep's milk cheese from Arthur Avenue, a pint glass and a 22 of this Bodacious Oatmeal Russian Imperial Stout. I click shuffle all on the ipod and we begin...

Song - I walk the Line; Johnny Cash.

BORIS promises to crush me like no other and the song is fitting, because being crushed is a line I don't mind tip-toeing down.

It pours a shade darker than coca-cola, but miles thicker. It has that red hue to it that coke seems to carry and as I watch the pour intently, I nearly let the glass over flow... crap.

Song change - Icky Thump; White Stripes

The beer doesn't carry much of a head, even though it was poured right down the pipe with some vigor. There is a tiny and very tan cap around the perimeter of the beer, but that is it. I can't recall if the last one I drank had the same results... I may be way off and I haven't been into a dark room in years (since photography class in Boarding School), but this reminds me of a dark room with all the red blubs out except one. It is dark, I can barley see, but there is a faint dark red color that allows some light to pass through if I tilt the glass enough.

Song Change - Lyrics to Go; A Tribe Called Quest

Imagine if someone spiked a tootsie roll. That is the initial smell I get, a tootsie roll, heated up a bit, then soaked in some rum or whiskey. With it comes the oatmeal and coffee, but this is a dark deep coffee with some dark fruit characters. I like the smell, its nice

BORIS has much more Hops here than I remembered it. Now, don't get me wrong... he is completely dominated by the dark chocolate, coffee, oatmeal...

Song Change - Money; Pink Floyd

... plums, raisins, and lots of good roastiness... but in the finish, there is more bitterness to it than I recall. Really complex beer, lot's to talk about, actually fits quite well with this song. Especially the trumpet solo (that is a trumpet right?). Mmm, really tasty, the alcohol doesn't tuck its self away in the corner, but it is not over the top by any means... I actually had a nice little game of hide and seek with it through out the entire beer.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, but still has a nice rich body. It is very well carbonated, maybe a bit too much, but as the songs past it seems to...

Song Change - I'm Only Sleeping; covered by Jeff Tweedy

... calm down and is really nice.

Very drinkable, as drinkable as a 22oz bottle of an almost 10% beer can be. Really nice offering and has accomplished the immediate task when I ...

Song Change - Like a Rock; Bob Seager

Woke, which was warm my bones. On a side note, this song has been permanently ruined for me because of the Ford commercials. I work in advertising/marketing and understand how necessary finding a great song is for commercials is, but I still hate how they ruin songs for me. My favorite band is Wilco and those godforsaken Volkswagen commercial's really crush me.

Speaking of crushing me, this beer did just that. Really great offering from Hoppin' Frog

EDIT: When refilling the glass I literally threw the beer into the glass and a nice rich, thick, khaki brown colored cloud formed over the beer and sank slowly. I apologize to BORIS for I don't want him to show up and kick down my door. Really nice coffee frappe (milk shake for non-new Englanders) colored head. (3,582 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +0.7%

BORIS poured black as oil and produced a nice brown head. It had some great banana esters and a solid, creamy body. Generally, it was a delicious beer and I wish it was more readily available on the west coast. It is on the level of great local San Diego offerings like Speedway Stout and Old Viscosity. (303 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -7.3%

nose of slight bananas and milk. maltiness...a touch of copper..

mouthed:...peppery chocolate banana milk with an afterthought of black licorice... dark tart chocolate and something savory...

at 9.4%...i can drink a bomber alone....but that is it..the alcohol is well blended and not obvious... (296 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

Received in trade, consumed on 5/10/09.

Pours nearly opaque black into pint glass, with minimal tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. Smell is tasty, with burnt grain, oatmeal and slight coffee hints. Taste is very good, with the oatmeal coming through strongly and syrupy. I also taste chocolate and a little booze. Feels very nice in the mouth, thick and well carbonated. A little heavy to be really drinkable, a trait that is signature in RISs, but tremendously so for the style. Would purchase much of if it were consistently available. (544 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pours a extremely dark brown almost black. Held up to light, cannot see through it. Small off white head which quickly fades into, nice thin lacing.

S - chocolate, coffee, oatmeal.

T - Slight chocolate, oatmeal, coffee, raisins, something else thats tart.

M - Great coverage inside mouth, sticks for a moment then fades away leaving a flavorful aftertaste.

D - Great for any occasion, could drink this on a regular basis. (432 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

Bomber served into a 12oz. snifter.
A-Pours a deep midnight black, no accents. One finger dark brown khaki head, head retention is good. Leaves some good lacing as well.

S-Roasted malts, bitter chocolate, espresso, very light notes of vanilla and mint.

T-Very much of the same, not getting any mint in the taste though. Opens very smooth with hints of espresso and bitter chocolate.I get some oatiness in there too. Finishes bitter with some hints of dark fruits and licorice. Leaves a bitter aftertaste.

D-Creamy and smooth. Good level of carbonation, the mouthfeel is a bit thin for this style. There's definitely some heat from the alcohol but it is not overpowering at all.

O-I really enjoyed this one and I will seek it out again. Nothing extremely complex, but it definitely kept me coming back for more. (816 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.7%

A - BORIS is a thick beer, dark, pretty much no head on it.

S - Smells like a thick coffee syrup, a hint of bitterness/bite on the end.

T - The first taste I got was a mild to strong coffee taste. The back end of this beer was a little burnt, oddly enough it tastes like burnt pretzels to me. Then the alcohol bite on the end.

M - Smooth like this beer should be, a little alcohol bite on the end.

D - This beer lives up to the hype: A big imperial stout that's dangerously drinkable. You can barely tell you're drinking a 9% ABV beer. (539 characters)

B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher Oatmeal-Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery