Gulden Fraug Belgian Style Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

good

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: becktone on 11-24-2006)

cwelsh55, Oct 17, 2014

vermilcj, Aug 19, 2014
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; no bottle dating, but was recently released. Pours fairly crystal clear deep orange/amber color with a small foamy light khaki head with poor retention, that reduces to a ring of lacing fairly quickly. Slight spotty lacing on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big apricot, plum, pear, apple, melon, light banana, clove, pepper, honey, candi sugar, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast. earthy hops, and pale malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big apricot, plum, pear, apple, melon, light banana, clove, pepper, honey, candi sugar, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of earthy yeast spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of apricot, plum, pear, apple, melon, light banana, clove, honey, candi sugar, bread, herbal, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, earthy hops, and pale malt sweetness; with a nice malt/yeast balance and zero cloying sweetness after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a smooth and fairly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice Belgian strong pale. All around good complexity and balance of fruity/spicy yeast, earthy hops, and pale malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

superspak, Aug 13, 2014

JohnnyMc, Jun 07, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +19.7%

srgj88, Jun 05, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass. Guess this is from 2011?

Pours a hazy burnt amber body with no real foam. Some light edging and minimal lacing. Plenty of sediment on the last pour. Smell is oxidized malts, caramel, and some spices. Taste is also of caramel, oxidation and some Belgian yeast spice. Drinkable enough, but most certainly over the hill. Medium mouth feel with nice carbonation. Feels a bit boozy but doesn't taste like it. Probably a former shell of itself but if you enjoy oxidation this has a really pleasant level of that which works quite well off of the light spice of the Belgian yeast.

davey101, May 30, 2013

t0rin0, Oct 14, 2012

Tyrawlings, Feb 12, 2012

A- Pours a nice yellow golden color, With a 1 finger head.with some nice lacing

S- Has a honey aroma to it with some malt notes and sugar mixed in

T- Has a really nice sweet honey taste to it with some other fruit flavors and some malty yeastyness to finish

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation

D-OVerall i really liked this beer. Its flavors when nice and refreshing and all balanced well together. Would like to have this again, but as it being retired looks like i wont have that chance. Was glad i got to have this beer before it dissapered!

zrab11, Apr 19, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle. Beer is retired, bottle is from long ago, but it can't be too bad.. can it?

Pours a pretty, golden-amber color, no carb to speak of. A thin tan ring is seen. Some sedimentation. Smell is backstrap molasses with some alcohol burn. Taste is very yeasty, sweet, and sorta red grape-like. The malt very prominent. Can detect the alcohol, feel is hot. Overall, very sweet, but was not overwhelming. Good for an "aged" bottle.

sixerofelixir, Apr 03, 2011
1.83/5  rDev -48.5%

Aroma - A decent amount of Belgian like spice and a slight funk

Appearance - Light amber red color with a good off-white head and a trickle of residual carbonation

Taste - Overall sweet, actually too sweet and not much else flavor wise. No spice and no balance just tons of sweetness.

Notes - Almost as close as a drain pour as I've ever had. Thin mouthfeel and not enough carbonation. Maybe an old bottle but there is no excuse for something this bad.

jwhawkins81, Apr 25, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -19.7%

Gudlen Frog

22 oz bottle into a goblet.

Pours a clear amber color with a thin layer of fizzy bright-white head. This stays foamy around the edges, leaving just a smattering of light frothy lacing behind. The aroma sits very heavy in the nose, with a lot of sticky sweetness, fruit, some spice, and a still waft of warmth. This is very thick and tangy feeling in the nostrils for sure.

Once again, this has an almost overbearing sweetness to it that gets to be a bit tough to take after a while. Tons of bread, candied sugars, green apples, and a dash of spicy yeast. With how sweet this is, I'm surprised to find a fairly assertive tingle of spicy hop bitterness in this but it unfortunately does little to balance out the sticky feel of this. The mouthfeel is full and thick in the mouth, with a heavy amount of alcohol beef.

This one just didn't work for me at all. Just way to sweet and boozy for my tastes, without a whole lot of definition in the flavor to help distract from the body. I split this bomber with a buddy and it was still too much for me.

Kegatron, Jan 29, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -16.1%

poured from a bomber into a half liter tulip glass

A - pours a medium copper hue, not golden or pale as described on the label. thin white head that does not last, leaves a nice lace on the glass on the way down.

S - aromas or malt, hard candy sweetness, hints of a green apple Jolly Rancher

T - first sip - more of the Jolly Rancher flavor, sweet, tastes like an eastern european "malt liquor." No real "belgian" character.

M - thin beer, but mouth-coating. no astrigency.

D - I can get used to this, but don't think I'll go back for another.

JamnesCameron, Sep 06, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -38%

Pours a dark orange color with a golden hue. Very Small white head that dissipates to nothing.

The nose on this brew is almost indescribable, and not in a good way. The first initial whiff I can only describe as ketchup. It has an extraordinarily bizarre malt backbone that I can only describe as... Apple juice...

"There's no way that this brew can taste the same way that it smells". That's what I thought to myself before I forced some of this beer down my gullet. The Ketchup that I had smelled originally was definitely more subtle in the taste, but it certainly didn't slow down the apple juice flavor. If I had to sum the taste of this brew up, I would basically describe this beer as a high alcohol, high octane slightly carbonated apple juice drink with a heavy body.

I've had worse beer than this, but since I was expecting it to be decent and was let down it made the experience exponentially worse.

KBoudreau66, Jun 14, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Live Review. Poured from a bomber into my Gulden Draak gold rimmed tulip glass. No observed "best by" date but I cannot imagine that it matters.

A Golden yellow orange translucent body under a one inch fluffy white head with some lacing even before I take a sip. Nice look. 4.0

S Sweet malt for sure. No hops smell. It reminds me a LOT of its likely inspiration, Gulden Draak. It may have a more sugary smell than Gulden Draak and maybe a bit less complex than Gulden Draak. 4.0

T Sweet malt explodes with flavor. There is a healthy dose of apple cider flavor that is not repulsive but it is certainly there. Belgian style yeast is noticeable and welcomed. Alcohol is very well hidden. 5.0

M Full with big ABV and big sweetness. Very appropriate to the style. 4.5

D I will drink and enjoy the bomber but nothing beyond that. 4.0

Notes: A fitting tribute to Gulden Draak. I am glad that I found this as Gulden Draak is one of my favorites. My first from this brewer, I have B.O.R.I.S. the crusher waiting for me next.

adamette, Jun 06, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Bought this one because I just had the Crusher and liked it. The price on this one was where it should be for the ABV and the category.

Poured this into the Duvel bulb aggressively. Amber, golden orange color with a half-inch, quickly dissolving head that becomes a thin off-white ring after 30 seconds. Tiny bubbles, but an ever-streaming flow of them in a funnel coming up from the bottom.

Smells very sweet and fruity. Bananas and malt and that strange bread/yeast smell that this style has. A little spice as well.

Taste doesn't hide the alcohol, but it doesn't burn too hot and its a steady, minimal presence as opposed to a finishing slap like most high abv's. Sugary-malt with a caramel, fruit-cocktail syrup to finish. Not at all bitter, and barely what I would consider pale ale, but delicious none the less. I don't taste any hops at all.

Medium almost syrupy, but not too heavy and doesn't linger too long or end up bitter.

Smooth throughout but gets a little hot as it gets warmer. I would definitely drink more than one of these. I'm glad I don't have to share this one tonight. It's 27 degrees, we're looking at 6-10 inches of snow and I just shoveled. Now if I only had a fireplace to cozy up to with this one.

discovolante65, Jan 11, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance: Pours with very little head, which quickly dissipates to little more than a thin ring around the sides of the glass and some small bubbles suspended at the surface in the middle of the glass. Very few bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass, and what ones are there are small. Color is a pretty coppery-orange, and crystal clear. Not much going on with such little (and short-lived) head and so few bubbles rising, but the color almost makes up for it. At 10.5% ABV, I can't complain really... with such a high level of alcohol, the head is bound to be small and short-lived.

Smell: Very sweet and fruity. Strangely, I can also smell pumpkin. I first thought this would make a good Halloween beer when I smelled it. It smells awkward to me, and not quite like the other Belgian beers I had, but there's something I just like about it...

Taste: Alcohol showed up in my first sip, as well as lots of fruity sweetness hinted at by the smell. From then on, the alcohol has moved back some as the fruity flavors kicked in. Very complex and strong flavors. Has a somewhat-strong bite to it. The flavors really come out as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: I would say it's about medium. It's not like water, but then it's not quite like some porters, stouts and weizens I've had either.

Drinkability: Surprisingly high considering the amount of alcohol. However, I would drink this one as a sipping beer; it's strong. Very strong. As I drink more, the drinkability goes down, making it hard to finish this entire bottle. Meanwhile, I can already feel the effects.

Overall, not too bad, but nothing amazing either. I wouldn't mind getting this one again, although I would like to see a six-pack option. As it is currently, it's about 8 bucks for a single, 22oz bottle. That alone makes this a beer to seek out only on occasion, and especially when someone else is around to drink the other half of it. Unfortunately, the Hoppin' Frog beers I want to try the most (Wild Frog Wheat, B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher, and Silk Porter) are not at the local store I go to, but this beer is not a bad first try from this brewery as far as I can tell. I look forward to trying some of their others.

UltraZelda64, Jan 08, 2009