Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.

poor

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: klewis on 07-03-2007

Ratings: 617 | Reviews: 365
Reviews by Jeffo:
4.21/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a two finger medium-thick off-white head with good retention. Medium carbonation, crystal clear, and a deep mahogany or rust color, though more burnt orange when held to the light. The very dark orange color is very nice looking. Head slowly fades to a decent film cap that remains to the end and leaves some nice lacing. Very nice to look at.

SMELL: Toasted and pale malts up front with lots of flowery hops. Some grapefruit and mango notes as well. A slight touch of soapiness too. Mild in strength, though enticing.

TASTE: Toasted and pale malts and some caramel malt sweetness up front, moving into some flowery hops through the middle and a bitter flowery hop finish. Some citrus grapefruit and mango notes there as well, but the floral hops are more dominant. A touch of soapiness there too, but not distracting. Aftertaste is strong and long lasting with some malt sweetness and bitter hops. Very nice and surprisingly balanced.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth but finishes with an alcohol scratch at the back of the throat. Ends a little mouth-coating on the palate. The slight scratch keeps it from being great.

OVERALL: Maybe the best overall offering from the Frog. The taste was much more bold and impressive than the nose had indicated, and it turned out quite drinkable as well. The label says 168 IBU, though the strong malt profile contributed enough caramel sweetness to make this a surprisingly balanced DIPA. Impressive. If you like your DIPA's balanced, this is certainly a good choice. Recommended.

2.59/5  rDev -30.9%

A friend of mine here in Greensboro thinks this beer is the one all be all and shared a bottle with me Sunday night.Poured into a standard pint glass a deep clear amber/bronze with a half finger slight off white head atop,great clarity and hue to the beer.Whoo man the aromas are borderline harsh,just wicked resin with a bit of caramel base but the hop onslaught is wicked in not such a good way.The 168 IBU's is just overkill on the palate,its dry as all get out and bitter to the hilt,wicked pine resin and alcohol make you wanna grab a glass of water and chug it.Iam a full on hophead but this is overkill to the umteenth degree,sorry Brian I told ya I liked it but man that stuff is harsh.

4.82/5  rDev +28.5%

Appearance – This is a beautiful, dark, brownish-orange in color with a gorgeous white head that left some great lacing and cool pits on top of the liquid.

Smell – This is as good as a DIPA can smell. The hops are a perfect blend of pine, citrus, and light leaf. There’s a little extra something though in the hop profile. Maybe it’s just the extraordinary balance, but the pine-citrus aroma is in a class all by itself. It forms this funky, pungent, floral aroma that is so resiny that it makes your mouth water. Literally.

The malt backbone is no slouch, either. The caramel is rich and sugary and plays well with the big hop profile. There’s a big yeast toasty aroma as well which manages to again mate perfectly with the hops. This is a symphony for sure.

Taste – The hoppy floral character mixes perfectly with the super-sugary malts. This could not be a better balancing act. The hops are fresh, resiny, and laced with citrusy goodness and the malts, heavily toasted, supply a yeasty, biscuity structure that really is the only possible flavor that could play well with the hops. This is big beer flavors perfectly balanced.

Mouthfeel – This is full-bodied, very slick and oily in between the cheeks, with a moderate dryness, somewhat bitter, and incredibly pleasing in the mouth. The carbs are just enough to give this a fluffy feel. The bitterness is complex and equality contributed by the malts and hops. Again the balance here is the key.

Drinkability – For my money this is one of the best, easy-drinking big DIPAs that I’ve ever had. It is so big and so powerful yet perfectly balanced. I enjoyed the big malt balance but again it’s not malt-leaning by any stretch. They just did an awesome job of mixing the best hop profile imaginable with the best malt profile imaginable. I hate to give a beer a 5.0 and say it can’t get any better but this beer really just couldn’t be any better.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

A: Amber color, slightly hazy, with a medium-sized off-white head that leaves a decent amount of lacings.

S: Lots of grapefruits and other aromas of tropical fruits. Pine-needles and caramel.

T: The grapefruits come of very strong in the taste as well. Quite a lot of other aromas of tropical fruits combined with a rather prominent caramel maltiness makes this one rather sweet in the mouth. Notes of pine-needles and grass. The finish is really bitter with plenty of hop resins.

M: Medium body, slightly sticky texture.

D: A good DIPA. The excessive amounts of hops and big bitterness are in constant risk of collapsing into a bittersweet mess, but in general I do believe the beer manages quite well.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Manalishi starts the epic stink as soon as you open the bottle, and as you let it sit and drink it slowly over the course of an hour, it really develops into something interesting. A dark and beautiful amber color with a nice thick and quickly dissipating head reveals a brew with a syrupy mouthfeel which accompanies the malts. But of course, this brew is all about the enormous amounts of Hops, and this jam delivers a huge bouquet of stank grapefruits and some pine as well. Malty and sweet up front, hoppy all the way through, and lingering on the tongue, this is what I like in a DIPA -- complexity and extremity. I scored a few other Hoppin' Frog beers which I will definitely be writing up, and between my first Bell's last night and my first Hoppin' Frog tonight, my recent beer haul is already looking outrageous.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Picked this up in Lakewood Rozi's when I visited Cleveland. Thanks to Coreyroz and the OH BA's for the local brew advice. I am really developing a taste for IPA's. The Doubles/Imperials are pretty extreme but I would rank this as "operation shock and awe".

A: Nice clean creamy cap. Started collapsing in the middle leaving some very nice lacing. Thin bubbly head stayed with me throughout. Liquid is a slightly hazy bronze color. Very little carbonation visible.

S: Good wallop of fresh, grassy, floral hops. Very citrusy, grapefruity with a touch of dishsoap.

T: This was a really pronounced and consistent taste progression. It started with a sweet caramel malt, moved swiftly into a sweet/sour grapefruit citrus and ends with a very aggressive fresh floral hop ending. Just as you think the hops don't have any mercy, the maltiness comes back to dial it back to a manageable bitterness for the mere mortal. Enjoyable for anyone who enjoys some extreme hop action. I have to admit that I enjoyed it more as it warmed up and the malt had more influence. A tad soapy.

M: Chewy. Smooth mouthfeel. Medium body. Carbonation felt low and I was fine with that.

D: I find myself astounded by the aggressiveness of some IPA's these days and yet I find myself drinking them at speed. Does this mean that a malt man is becoming a hop head too? Maybe. The more I enjoy them, the more I enjoy the occasional assault on the senses. While this was aggressive, I found it quite drinkable and totally forgot the ABV. I recommend giving this a try and I am pleased that I had the opportunity to support a small local brewer. Hop on!

4.29/5  rDev +14.4%

Translucent copper, almost a finger of head. Ample lacing with islands available. Color seems a bit clouded.

Wide range of hops. Medium dark malt. Grapefruit, pine. Some heat present, though not overpowering.

Strange set of flavor. Not much malt. Some hop type flavor intialy that I cant place. Quite earthly, almost sweet. I like it. I dare not call it grassy, but something nice. Pine finish, with some pale dryness.

Might be a little malt deficient, but not sure I can detract here. Heat is a little high, considering ABV, tastes like it could be an 11.

Id love one of these. With the different hop boquest than Im used to, im not sure how many I could have. I would definately have this again, just not sure the hop character is ideal for me.

2.49/5  rDev -33.6%

Bomber split with the bro.

Pours a turbid, dark, leathery copper colored brew with tons of particles in suspension, and it's kind of freaky looking as it doesn't move. Great head though ... off-white, super creamy and sticky. But man, all of that sediment is kind of off-putting.

Pungent nose. Tons of fresh grapefruit, spice and herbal. Minty. Cheesy. Resiny as hell. Eye-watering. My eyes!

Smooth, medium-bodied on the palate with an intense smackdown of hops on the palate. Sharp citric acids, lemon, lime, big grapefruit, pine, grassy, coarse and resiny. Scorched leaves and ash. Some cheese and soap too. Super astringent. Puckering. As for the malts, there's a touch of caramel and bread, but it's pretty much stomped to death by the crazy and out of control hop presence. Finish is bone dry, bitter, rough and astringent.

I'm a hophead, but I think this is overkill. 168IBU. Why bother? That's past the human threshold. A waste of hops. There's absolutely no balance (yes, there can be balance within the style) and it's hard to get down the throat. It's like drinking a handful of hops dropped into a pint glass of brew, and anyone who has ever attempted this can attest that this is not overly pleasant.

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

The beer looks good to me: thick, frothy head atop a bronzed, tan liquid. As the foam sinks into my glass, thick lacing makes its mark on the sides. Light just makes it thru this one. The foamy top actually causes me some concern--big bubbles with semi-solid lacing have historically left me with an over-the-top alcohol bomb lacking substantive flavor. I hope this one proves different.

The smell is definitely hoppy, but the aformentioned concern actually rises to my nose as I inhale this one--I smell the alcohol. It's a DIPA so I know I should, but it's as if I smell alcohol more distinctively than I smell the hops. The alcohol aroma is not overwhelming like a 120 or anything, but it's present in an 8.2%er more than I would like.

My fears are confirmed on the very first sip. It's not so much the alcohol that's overpowering--actually nothing about the beer is overpowering. In fact, it's bland. The hops are bitter...bitter like baking soda. I had zero preconceived notions about this one. Unfamiliar with the brewery and everything, I just grabbed this beer off the shelf at Green's in Greenville and hoped I'd discovered something special. I haven't seen any Hoppin' Frog around my parts, and I was cautiously optimistic about this one. I'm very disappointed. I shared a Valdez last night and didn't review it. I really wanted to praise this beer in this review. Unfortunately, it's just another bitter collection of hops lacking character. I disagree totally with the "toasty, caramelized, intense malt presence" marketed on the label. Maybe the malts make it look good and tanned, but I feel sunburned.

Mouthfeel is blah like the taste, but the hops do evidence themselves more comfortably as the beverage rests in my mouth. The aftertaste is subpar. When I pulled up Hoppin' Frog to review this beer, I saw the BORIS and recognized it as a respected beer. Maybe that gave me false hope about what I thought would be a delicious hop-bomb. The mouthfeel, particularly for a DIPA, is dull.

What can I say? I'd share it with friends (though I'd secretly be wanting them to confirm my opinion that the beer is blah), but only as a filler between winners. That's not even average in my book. I'm eager to try another one from Hoppin' Frog (preferably BORIS), but it'll probably be a while before I ante up for this bomber again.

4.16/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber tea color with a medium creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bready sugary caramel malts, and fruity piney, resiney, hops.

The flavor is sweet sugary fruity caramel malts followed by a big resiney piney bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, a very nice DIPA. It's not at all balanced, but is a nice hop bomb.

Poured a bright orange color with good head and retention. Smelled exquisite...very citrusy, floral, piny, HOPPY!..also sweet malts coming through. Taste is more piny, sticky hops, citrus hops, tangerine, tropical flavors...lots of pine. Evened out by a beautiful candy malt backbone. Mouthfeel is sticky, resiny, decent carbonation, crisp for a decently heavy beer. I love it.

2.84/5  rDev -24.3%

22oz brown bomber.

The appearance is a tricky one, at one point my pint showed a clear reddish amber color but after about 8-10oz poured out the particles on the bottom of the bottle rushes into the rest of the liquid. Now its cloudy, nearly turbid with small bits of sediment that does not want to settle to the bottom of the glass. Half decent head retention.

Big pungent and sharp hoppy aroma of the rind from a fresh peeled grapfruit, spearmint and wild flowers with a hint of caramel malt in the back of the nose.

Sharp bitterness from the hops cuts deep, luckily it has a lot to cut through. Creamy full body with a solid maltiness that screams caramel and a little bit of toasted malt. All of the malt gets beat back down and the drying hop bitterness takes over. Grapefruit peel, tobacco and black tea from the hops. Finishes dry and overly bitter and astringent.

168 IBUs ... hmmm, your tasted buds can only handle about 80 IBUs so this is aiming for overkill and that is what it ends up being. Its so hoppy that it masks the mildly solvent alcohol for the most part. Keep the sediment out, tone down the bitterness and focus on more hop flavor and this would be a great DIPA. Great to try once but this ends up being a taste bud killer.

22 oz bottle pours a hazy rusty orange/brown body with a medium beige head. Nice lacing. Aroma is sharp and pungent leafy hops. Citrus rind and pine, with a faint hint of burnt caramel. Medium body with plenty of carbonation and some oily hop resin. Taste is all about the hops. Pine, grapefruit, and citrus rind. Resinous hop bitterness from start to finish. Just a vague hint of malt sweetness. Bet there are plenty of IBU's in this one. A hop monster for the hopheads. A bit over the top for me.

4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

22 ounce bomber, no freshness info. Pours a nice warm shade of almond amber, kind of murky, under a pretty dark tan tiny bubble head and leaving gobs of fine and slippery lacing. Nice citric and resinous hoppy nose. Full flavor ale, plenty of hope bite, yet not over the top, malts well represented and providing a comforting blanket of smooth and dark toasty support. Nice stuff, well crafted. At $10.65 however (yeah I know I bought it in Massachusetts) I'd rather go for two bottles of something like Ruination...

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours brilliant garnet tined amber under a thin persistent white foam collar, very fine bubbles.
S: Citrusy resiny hops over malt.
T: Big resiny citrus rind bitterness drives this beer with a distant malt background. The hops are aggressive and well done. The malt is moderately low and is not very complex.
F: Creamy smooth moderately full bodied and moderate carbonation.
O: A big hop driven DIPA.

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber, capped and sans date. Pours a clear ruddy, amber color. Two-finger, creamy off-white head doesn't stick around for long, leaving substantial lace.

The smell is a warm, dank bouquet of floral hops, with just subtle pine and grapefruit. The hops are omnipresent and aggressive, but not as overwhelming like some DIPA. The flavor begins with a nutty, slightly buttery, then they dry out a bit more, getting some what phenolic with a hint of malt, then the finale features brighter, more piquant, citrus-tinged hops, before a dry finish that slides into the warm buzz of alcohol.

It's full-bodied and maybe could use a bit more carbonation. It possesses good complexity and has enough going on to offset the hop barrage. It's actually somewhat delicate for a DIPA, in a good way. Recommended.

4.23/5  rDev +12.8%

Served in a .5L pilsner glass. Burnished copper color, slightly hazed, with an inch high head of orangey-beige foam that lingers long.

Inviting aroma of overripe fruit, honey malt, floral hops and orange rind.

Rich flavors of balanced malt and hops. Fairly even mix of honey malt and grapefruit pith upfront, then a wave of bitterness rolls in, lots of pine and grapefruit and the malt is pushed beneath. Very bitter, but very tasty. A bit of alcohol vapor up the back of the nose, and a gradual warming of the cheeks.

Even mouthfeel, prtty full and creamy. Pretty drinkable, hopheads should enjoy this one.

3.9/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured bomber into 34oz mug; slightly cloudy orange with less head than I was expecting. I poured rather carefully, expecting your usual massive IPA head, but my slow pour only yielded a one-finger head that dissipated relatively quickly. Smell is hops and flowers and citrus, as you'd expect. A bit more pungent than most. Taste is sweet and smooth upfront, hops come into the end and demolish the sweetness with bitter and spicy flavors that almost go up your nose. A bit spiky in mouthfeel due to the insane hops, but this is a great DIPA. It has character. It might not be very well balanced, but it's worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Standard copper pour, minimal head and chunkees. Aroma was sweet and bitter.

Taste, was sweet and bitter as well. A feeling like the sweetness and bitterness from cherry lifesavers was in here, disappointing. Didn't really get much of a hop feel out of it initially, began to meld halfway down, allowed some very weird flavors to branch out, I mean, there was that cherry, and then it allowed some pine and cinammon as if it was a Christmas dipa.

Was definitely a little sticky, was able to appreciate more and more as it went on. This one really just suffers from lacking a hop flavor and dry hop nose. Goes closer to a barleywine than I want my dipas. The immense bitterness takes awhile.

Give it to that one friend of yours who doesn't really drink anything but extreme hopped beers.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%

Appears a pretty heavily cloudy amber orange hue with a large cream head forming thick with large bubbles after a nice strong pour into my Corsendonk chalice. Lacing forms even with each sip all around my glass, can't go wrong by the looks let's take a smell. Aroma is very green with heavy grapefruit peels and some medicinal aspirin bottle like acidity going on, herbal grassy, pine cones, and floral wildflowers roll on as well. A touch of sweet honey and mango pineapple fruits how does a beer from the midwest get so tropical. Flavor is full of brash hop bitterness alot of hop pellet concentrated IBUs, sweet caramel and sugar coated grapefruit rinds blended together with more herbaceous hop tones like some kind bud, pine cones, and perfume. Caramel juicy malt bill forms but the hop bitterness and flavor really overshadow those malt traces here. Alcohol definitely an evident component in this brew, doesn't seem to thought out just a slew of hops and malt. Mouthfeel is medium to big body not much lush hop oils going on here, even carbonation I can't really complain about this area. Drinkability is alright definitely not a quaffer very complex and intense but not something I'm going for on a regular basis.

4.25/5  rDev +13.3%

Picked up a bomber at Total Wine in Greenville, SC.

Pours a hazy copper color with a one-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of caramel malts with a good amount of citrus and piney hop aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Caramel malt flavors up front are quickly joined by pine and grapefruit hop flavors, in that order. Ending is very bitter.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass easily and could drink a few bombers of this.

Overall this is a very good DIPA - and probably my favorite normal production Hoppin' Frog beer I've tried so far - including BORIS. Definitely worth a shot.

4.83/5  rDev +28.8%

22oz. bomber, purchased at Jungle Jim's, poured into an imperial pint.

A: Very deep orange, almost on the bronze side. Glows hazy in the light. 2 1/2 fingers of strong rocky head with great retention. Nice lacing throughout. This is what a DIPA should look like.

S: Huge floral, citrus, and piny hops with just an edge of peppery zing. Grapefruit and some spicy phenols. Malts are at a nice level, bring in enough caramel and butteriness(lol?) to round things out. Nearly perfect.

T/M: So damn good. Bitterness is just perfect. Doesn't destroy you but does it's job. Hops are mostly juicy grapefruit and very crisp. Malts are just like the nose describes but adds a bit more depth with some buttery biscuit taste. Mouthfeel is a drinkable medium with a nice creaminess. Can be a bit sticky at times but nothing to really nit pick about. Finishes a comfortable dry with a bit of lasting bitterness.

D: As far as DIPAs go, this is about as drinkable as it gets. I'm so very happy this turned out better than their single IPA(though it wasn't terrible at all) and that it's readily available to me.

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

Tarnished copper leaning towards blood orange. The head is thick, bubbly and khaki colored. Very clingy to itself leaving very little on the glass except rings denoting the age of each sip.

Grain alcohol is the first thing that I get when I take a whiff. Not great but it subsides to a strong hop profile. If it wasn't for that boozy smell this brew would get high marks in the nose department. The citrus and piney goodness is behind too much musty booze.

Taste is better then average but a little off. Don't get me wrong there is plenty of bold flavors with a mix of floral, citrus and piney hops. Even a touch on the tropical side of things with a juicy fruit flavor and a caramelized thick malt backbone. This just isn't a very palatable brew. It has all the right components but it's unbalanced.

The mouthfeel shines with a strong bitterness and a nice lingering finish. I'd like to have a more balanced brew with a little more sweet grains but it's not bad the way it is. In fact the thinner and cleaner mouthfeel lead to the hero hops flavors shining. Great lingering hop which is what this brew really excels in. Well worth trying for that raw hop punch to the face it doles out.

3.6/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a deeo burnt copper in color, on which an orange-tan head forms a crown two fingers tall and very dense. Retention is good and the lacing has fantastic stick. No doubt this is a beauty.
There's a delicious hops aroma, mainly citrus with some pine and a bit of a floral note. Malts aren't quite enough to balance an otherwise fantastic bouquet, though. With balance, this aroma is exceptional.
The flavor in this hop monster is pinw qith a big resinous aspect though it goes a tad "rindy," the rind flavor adding a hint of saltiness before an astingently bitter floral finish. Malts may add a touch of caramel though the sweetness is syrupy, and the ethanolic alcohol adds a bit more to the harsh astringency of it. This is made to be a hop bomb and someone looking for a more refined beer needs to look elsewhere. Hop heads may like this (and I consider myself one), but anyone who appreciates balance and the subtle skill of brewing that imparts it will be looking elsewhere. This lacks balance to the extreme.
The body is medium. A creamy heft mingles with a light crispness. Detracting from the mouthfeel is the unfortunate odd salty/bitter finish.
I think I've finally found the DIPA that would be better with age.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

#BOTG 41! a 168 IBU Double IPA. I'm anticipating the pain this is going to deliver to my mouth.

Poured from bottle into Brooklyn tulip glass. A mostly transparent pour, leaves nearly no head at the end. dark orange in appearance, this is a little disappointing looking for a DIPA. Smell- turpentine meets a pine tree meets aggressive hop oils. Some pleasant citrus orange rind flavors as well. This DIPA is like a pit viper lying in wait, threatening to strike. I can see the eminent demise on the horizon. Well, here we go. Down the hatch time. Whoa. fucking brutal! Just a viscous bitterness burns down my throat and surrounds my tongue. Massive waves of violent hop oils. Pine, Citrus rind, a little (really little) bit of malt sweetness teases me at the end. Like suggesting that there is any sort of malt backbone to balance. This is one of the most hoppy, aggressive, unbalanced IPA's I have ever had. It's interesting in terms of a hop lover understanding about what sort of abuse their palate can take, but not drinkable at all. Lets hope the Astros give the Cubbies the type of abuse this beer has given me tonight. I give this beer a bunt single.

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. from Hoppin' Frog Brewery