Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.

poor

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: klewis on 07-03-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. Alström Bros
Ratings: 616 | Reviews: 365
1.66/5  rDev -55.7%

No head, slightly cloudy amber. Nose has citrus, pine, a hint of diacetyl and maybe banana(?). Very bitter and mouthcoating. Grassy taste and not much else. I generally like DIPA/IIPAs and there's nothing I'm enjoying about this. Drain pour. Wondering if this was a flawed bottle.

1.8/5  rDev -52%

This beer pours a dark brown with a three finger head which lasts a long time and lacing which stays on the glass throughout. That is the first and only thing good about this beer.

The smell is of hops and nothing else. I can not even tell if the hops are floral or citrus.

Oh my God, this is horrible, the hops are present but not tasty. I am not kidding when I tell you that this brew tastes like brown goo.

The mouthfeel is 'gooey'. Some hops cling to the tongue but they do not feel good.

I hate to say it but this is gross; avoid.

1.97/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into a wine glass.

A- Deep dark orange hue, very clear, just a bit of visible carbonation. Slightly under a one finger head, sticks around and leaves good webby lacing.

S- Lemon zest, apples, and biscuit. Get a faint note of pepper as well. It doesn't smell bad, but not how a DIPA should smell, imo of course.

T- Apple is the dominate flavor I'm getting, with a strong hint of lemons. Aftertaste is reminiscent of band-aids. Bit of biscuity malt. It is pretty bitter but not as bitter as I would suspect for 168IBU's.

M- Mouthfeel is light, borderline watery.

O- I obviously got an old bottle, and at 12.99$ a bomber it wasn't worth it at all. I had to drain pour this one, just not something I wanted to finish. I will not buy again unless Hoppin Frog starts putting "bottled on" labels.

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%

A- Amber color with a large off white head. Head is sticky and fades to a cap that leaves good lacing on the glass.

S- Hops, hops and more hops, an overload of pine and grapefruit. There is a sweet smell going on in the background as well.

T- Bitter wash of the hops takes over from beginning to the end. Nothing to balance this out just overwhelming bitterness. Finish is bone dry and astringent.

M- Medium bodied and lightly carbonated, has that oily hop aftertaste as well.

D- Nope, the bitterness is overkill. Almost wish I could taste the alcohol in the 8.2% ABV for something to offset the hops

Painful - it lives up to the "mean" part in the name. I think my taste buds went on strike halfway through this.

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%

I hate to say it, and i usually don't review beers i don't like, but i found this one to be just too much. Overkill. Nose is resiny, piney, grapefruity... basically all the flavors we associate with good hops mixing together to create something that smells like industrial strength cleaner that they would use at a health food store. Taste is way out of whack, with sweetness from the malt coming through and tons of hop flavor and bitterness that is flabby and muddy. little definition. kind of all over the place with a concept that not only has been done before, but deemed generally uncool by the whole community. yuck. i am so sorry i don't like this one. it was a gift from someone that was raving about how awesomely hoppy it was... i wonder... am i over it?

2.44/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a golden nearly copper color, and an enourmous off-white head on top. I had lacing from the first sip. The smell is incredibly resinousy. There isn't much else to be found, and the aroma just pounds on your face. If I make a wish and dream big, I could find some citrus fruit, but I get more leaves and plant matter (not floral). Sorry to say,that there isn't much hop flavor in there, just bitterness, a bit of aroma. Most of the hop presence is herbal and spicy, rather than floral, and at some points you get this fruitiness, but more like plums than sour or tart fruits. The alcohol is present, because of the intense dryness. It like it, it fixes my craving, but I don't exactly taste the hops as much as I feel them. The first sip was a bit creamy, but after that It was dryness and harsh bitterness, with crazy alcohol burning. This one really cuts it when you haven't experienced hops for a while, but it is a bit like an amusement park ride. Only the brave should try, but it isn't exactly the most painful you can get.

2.49/5  rDev -33.6%

Bomber split with the bro.

Pours a turbid, dark, leathery copper colored brew with tons of particles in suspension, and it's kind of freaky looking as it doesn't move. Great head though ... off-white, super creamy and sticky. But man, all of that sediment is kind of off-putting.

Pungent nose. Tons of fresh grapefruit, spice and herbal. Minty. Cheesy. Resiny as hell. Eye-watering. My eyes!

Smooth, medium-bodied on the palate with an intense smackdown of hops on the palate. Sharp citric acids, lemon, lime, big grapefruit, pine, grassy, coarse and resiny. Scorched leaves and ash. Some cheese and soap too. Super astringent. Puckering. As for the malts, there's a touch of caramel and bread, but it's pretty much stomped to death by the crazy and out of control hop presence. Finish is bone dry, bitter, rough and astringent.

I'm a hophead, but I think this is overkill. 168IBU. Why bother? That's past the human threshold. A waste of hops. There's absolutely no balance (yes, there can be balance within the style) and it's hard to get down the throat. It's like drinking a handful of hops dropped into a pint glass of brew, and anyone who has ever attempted this can attest that this is not overly pleasant.

2.49/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint.

A- pours a very cloudy shade of orange with a 3 finger slightly offwhite head. The head fades quickly, and doesn't lace very well...the beer itself looks pretty ugly. Lots of sediment in there.

S- very strong citrus hops, to the point where it almost burns my nose...that's not too good, though it does smell pretty yummy

T- really bitter. REALLY bitter. And that bitterness sticks around for awhile. I'm really not getting any citrus...just a lot of bitter pine resin. VERY disappointing

M- really thick and syrupy, which is to be expected from the style...doesn't work with how unbelievably bitter this is though. Absolutely choking

D- no. Oh god no. This is really hard to choke down, just because its so ridiculously hoppy and strong and...yeah

2.58/5  rDev -31.2%

22oz bottle purchased at Archer Liquors, in Chicago. I think.

A- Tries to pour a clear orange, but there are floaties everywhere. I even left quite a bit in the bottom of the bottle and there are still chunks floating all over the place. Nice white head on initial pour and throughout the beer. Good lacing. Just can't get past all the particles.
S- Typical IIPA hop profile in the nose. Some grapefruit notes, but nothing special stands out.
T- Heavy (what appears to be) floral and citrus hops. Bitter, but not in a good way. Needs a bigger malt backbone to balance out the hops.
M - Medium body, fairly heavy yet almost dry.
D- None. This is a one-note pony (hops) and not even a good one at that. Too much bittering hops and not enough malt make finising this a chore, and I will not be seeking this out again.

Overall - Not much of anything positive to report. Another IIPA that pales in comparison to the greats out there. Bitter to the point of harsh, the definition of below average. Avoid.

2.59/5  rDev -30.9%

A friend of mine here in Greensboro thinks this beer is the one all be all and shared a bottle with me Sunday night.Poured into a standard pint glass a deep clear amber/bronze with a half finger slight off white head atop,great clarity and hue to the beer.Whoo man the aromas are borderline harsh,just wicked resin with a bit of caramel base but the hop onslaught is wicked in not such a good way.The 168 IBU's is just overkill on the palate,its dry as all get out and bitter to the hilt,wicked pine resin and alcohol make you wanna grab a glass of water and chug it.Iam a full on hophead but this is overkill to the umteenth degree,sorry Brian I told ya I liked it but man that stuff is harsh.

2.59/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

22oz served into pint glass

A: Dark amber/medium orange color. Half finger head receding quickly. Some, but little carbonation. <3.75>

S: Predominantly funk. Meh. There is some citrus and malt but its all behind this musty smell. <2.25>

T: Musty malt. Over bready maybe? Burnt caramel? Bready Caramel - that's it, thats the malt flavor. <2.5>

M: Not bad actually. Creamy and nicely carbonated. <3.75>

O: Weird and funky. Must bready malt dominates, hops have no citrus or pine and barely shine through whatever they were trying to do with the malts. It's like someone took a DIPA and shoved in molding biscuits and an old lady. <2.25>

2.59/5  rDev -30.9%

This was one of five DPA's that a group of us sampled this past week.

This one game in a unanimous last place amongst the group. Somewhat similar to Moylander's DPA but even that is better than this one.

Color is deep copper and there was a healthy 3 finger head.

No strong aroma to speak of and what there was focused more on malt and dead bitterness vs. a fresh hops aroma.

I call this a dead bitter taste, vs. what I describe as fresh hop flavor in other DPA & IPA's

After the initial dead bitter you get a total caramel/malt flavor that I find too sweet.

Frankly does not compare to the other better DPA's on the market.

In case you are wondering the other better choices were;

Avery Maharaja
Hop15
Stone Ruination
Moylander's DPA

Grab any of those long before you reach for this one.

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Live Review. Poured from the brown bomber that I bought at Wine and Beverage Depot in Mentor a few days ago for $10.99. I have seen this beer in stores repeatedly and I guess that I finally "gave in" the other day. No "best by" or brewed on date observed by me.

A Dark copper translucent body under a light brown creamy head that is short lived...about 2 minutes...but the higher ABV is likely responsible for that. Good, strong look. 4.0

S Very strong hops but also barley malt sweetness as well. Intriguing, this has the makings of one big DIPA. 4.0

T/M The hops and the malt are there but there is also an annoying, overly burdensome bitterness that lingers on the back of my toungue and reminds me of a burlap bag or perhaps scraping my tongue on the bark of a tree. It is really an abrasive bitterness and it is really hard to ignore or overcome. 2.0

D Not really that high due to the unimpressive taste and feel. I admit it was a struggle to finish the bomber. I have had many other DIPAs that were easier to drink than this one. 2.0

Notes: Dissapointed in this one from a local brewer. I really do not appreciate that overly bitter taste in a DIPA. I don't appreciate a lack of "bottled on" date. Lastly, it does not help that this beer is so expensive!

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy orange with a 2" white head and pretty good retention. Not much lacing.

S: Smells piney and floral, with caramel sweetness coming through. Fruity as well. A lot of aromas going on here, nothing really wonderful.

T: The taste didn't sit all that well with me. Dry and puckering hops are really dominant, including citrus and floral tastes. This is fine for a DIPA, but the caramel malts didn't seem to match here, and the sweetness felt medicinal.

M/D: Super dry and bitter with medium carbonation. As mentioned, the caramel sweetness doesn't do a whole lot to balance, just too many hops. Not so easy to drink.

2.65/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours an amber color with a moderate white head - good lacing. Decent amount of sediment floating around, and the last half of the bomber yielded a massive chunk of something floating in my glass. Didn't like that at all.

The nose is citric hops and heavy caramel malt. Actually a bit subdued, in my opinion. The taste again has the grapefruit hops, but the caramel malt is so overwhelming. This is a DIPA? I call shennanigans. Much more like a barleywine. If this was labeled as a barleywine, I'd probably give it a 4 or so in taste. But it's not - it's supposed to be a DIPA, and it misses that mark. The taste profile is rough around the edges. Really didn't scratch my DIPA itch at all. The caramel malt dominance might have been due to this bottle being a bit old, but there's no way to know since Hoppin' Frog doesn't freshness date their bottles. Very irritating.

The mouthfeel is pretty solid. Medium bodied, decent carbonation, moderately sticky.

All in all, I was extremely disappointed by this brew - it's becoming a theme for me with the Hoppin' Frog offerings. I don't see any reason I'll be buying this again. If I want a DIPA, this doesn't do it. And if I want a barleywine, there's better ones out there. Oh, and cheaper, too.

Extremely disappointed.

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%

The beer looks good to me: thick, frothy head atop a bronzed, tan liquid. As the foam sinks into my glass, thick lacing makes its mark on the sides. Light just makes it thru this one. The foamy top actually causes me some concern--big bubbles with semi-solid lacing have historically left me with an over-the-top alcohol bomb lacking substantive flavor. I hope this one proves different.

The smell is definitely hoppy, but the aformentioned concern actually rises to my nose as I inhale this one--I smell the alcohol. It's a DIPA so I know I should, but it's as if I smell alcohol more distinctively than I smell the hops. The alcohol aroma is not overwhelming like a 120 or anything, but it's present in an 8.2%er more than I would like.

My fears are confirmed on the very first sip. It's not so much the alcohol that's overpowering--actually nothing about the beer is overpowering. In fact, it's bland. The hops are bitter...bitter like baking soda. I had zero preconceived notions about this one. Unfamiliar with the brewery and everything, I just grabbed this beer off the shelf at Green's in Greenville and hoped I'd discovered something special. I haven't seen any Hoppin' Frog around my parts, and I was cautiously optimistic about this one. I'm very disappointed. I shared a Valdez last night and didn't review it. I really wanted to praise this beer in this review. Unfortunately, it's just another bitter collection of hops lacking character. I disagree totally with the "toasty, caramelized, intense malt presence" marketed on the label. Maybe the malts make it look good and tanned, but I feel sunburned.

Mouthfeel is blah like the taste, but the hops do evidence themselves more comfortably as the beverage rests in my mouth. The aftertaste is subpar. When I pulled up Hoppin' Frog to review this beer, I saw the BORIS and recognized it as a respected beer. Maybe that gave me false hope about what I thought would be a delicious hop-bomb. The mouthfeel, particularly for a DIPA, is dull.

What can I say? I'd share it with friends (though I'd secretly be wanting them to confirm my opinion that the beer is blah), but only as a filler between winners. That's not even average in my book. I'm eager to try another one from Hoppin' Frog (preferably BORIS), but it'll probably be a while before I ante up for this bomber again.

2.7/5  rDev -28%

Very dark and dank mahogany in color but I had to pour pretty hard to get a good head. No audible hiss when I opened the bottle. Hopefully not undercarbonated. Smell is piney, earthy, woody, resiny, caramel, tropical notes and bitter. Has the smell of a barleywine. A little underwhelming compared to a fresh Bigfoot though. Very harsh bitterness. Kind of a very faint sweet maltiness backing it up. I am not really getting anything else other than harsh bitterness. There really isn't any flavor backing it up. And yes it is a bit undercarbonated. Not much heat thought which is a plus. Overall I think I am going to have to pour this out and get something I actually want to drink right now. This isn't doing it for me.

2.73/5  rDev -27.2%

Clear amber color with one finger of head that quickly settled to a thin film. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left down the glass.

Aroma is a lot of caramel with just a slight hint of citrus. No sign of alcohol.

Underwhelming hop flavor for a DIPA. Still very bitter however. I get a lot of caramel with some citrus. Slightly warming alcohol in the finish.

Big bodied but a touch undercarbonated. Not sure better carbonation would of helped the flavor, but it would of added to its drinkability. Just feels a bit lifeless on the palate.

No bottle date on the bottle. Have to assume it is as the brewery intended as I bought it in a reputable store a few days earlier. My score is being generous. I will stick with Hoppin' Frog stouts from now on.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

P: 22 0z bomber
A: Cloudy orange, nice thick head with good retention and laces the glass
S: Lots of hop and citrus, just doesnt smell pleasing somehow though, like its forced
T: WOW, this is out of balance. I cant get any malt/sweet at all, its just all bitter.
M: A little too thin for style
D: My palate cant take more than one, heck, I could barely take the one
Notes: This is a good example of what happens when you just go balls to the wall on the hops and disregard the malt balance. Too much for me, felt forced for the sake of being "extreme"

2.76/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured and amber color with a ton of huge floaters in it. It looked like cup of grease cooked off of bacon. This may be the most unsightly beer I've ever poured. The smell has a light citrus front and then sweet caramel malts.

Taste is way too bitter. I like bitter, but this overdoes it and completely wipes out anything I was picking up in the scent. It has a soapy taste as well. The aftertaste reminds me of that disgusting taste when you drink orange juice right after brushing your teeth.

Mouthfeel is also soapy while in the mouth, but within seconds after the swallow it shrivels my tongue and the bitterness shuts my tastebuds down for the rest of the night.

Way too bitter to be drinkable. I've never been one to condone the "drain pour" and I didn't start now, but that was as close as I've come.

I was very dissapointed by this beer. I've had a couple of Hoppin' Frog's offerings and have liked them all but this one.

2.76/5  rDev -26.4%

A- darker than I expected, a rusty copper with an very light tan head. Decent head, appears to be leaving some lacing as well.

S- Aroma seems to be floral hops with some slight mustiness as well.

T- Initial taste is almost caramel/brown sugar, biscuit-like. Not what I was expecting, but not altogether bad. This fades quickly and a more typical pine resin taste takes over. A bit of the mustiness present in the taste as well, especially as it warms just a bit. No notable floral/citrus in the taste.

M- Fine carbonation, aftertaste lingers, medium bodied.

D- It's drinkable, personally I'd opt for other DIPAs. It's almost like this beer is backwards with an initial maltiness that finishes with a lot of hops.

2.8/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Barely a one finger off white head forms on the pour that is kind of soapy. Body color is a simple amber and clear but there is no visible carbonation at all on this from the bottom. This looks like a small head, a decent color, but also kind of lifeless. Head as small as it is settles in for a small puck and collar though, with virtually no lacing. But this beer doesn't even move it looks dead.

Hop character on the nose of a muted citrus grapefruit, a little grassy but this seems rather small for a double imperial. There seems to be something else here too maybe a little butter like diacetyl. Still alright.

One sip and it's pure bitterness. Where is the fruit sensation this just feels like pure astringency. It also has a finish that feels completely burnt. Mouthfeel seems a little lifeless also and very wet. Nothing but bitterness that just takes over, just not good.

Overall this is just way too bitter for me and I get a just bitter hop bomb, nothing spicy/floral/citrus/sweet and a wet finish. Ugh wetness and bitterness just not good. Even after sitting and not drinking, my tongue feels like it is on fire, this is not fun even for someone like me who enjoys a nice flavorful spice kick, but this is not it. Bitter palate destroying beer, pass.

2.8/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 22 oz bomber

A - Hazy burnt orange with a thin tan head

S - Strong hop smell with hints of citrus rind, pine, and grass.

T - Hop bomb with a mix of citrus, pine, with a very strong alcohol taste. Hops for days. Not very well balanced.

M - Medium body with an almost gritty/dirty feel. good carbonation.

D - Thank god it was my last beer of the night because i couldn't taste anything after this hop bomb. If a taste bud killer is what they were aiming for that is what they got. Good for a one time try after that its all yours.

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%

I was very dissappointed after plopping down $9 for a bomber of this DIPA. While it says the IBU's are 168, I never tasted the bitterness I crave from a good IPA or DIPA. In fact, the malty overtones seemed to overpower the hops and bitter aftertaste.

It is a big beer, but just not on my radar after this tasting

2.82/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance - Dark looking double IPA. A dark amber color with an orangish tint to it. Head was very thin and only came to a half finger head. White halo crowns the top of this one.

Smell - Very crisp and piney at first, but after a while a definite thick malt comes through. Sharp and citrusy as well with a flashing spiciness.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Like an oil spill in my mouth! Very slick with a medium carbonation. This beer has a puckering tang to it that over powers your taste buds most of the way. Sweet caramel malt combines with a citrus fruitiness for a little taste of something else. Alcohol is somewhat pronounced with a tiny bit of breadiness.

Drinkability - This is not my cup of tea. Way to oily and pungent for a double IPA. Was expecting more of a hop bitter than a sour bitter. I'll pass on this one again as there are far better double IPA's to be had.

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. from Hoppin' Frog Brewery