Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.

poor

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: klewis on 07-03-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 363
3.93/5  rDev +4.8%

bomber served in a snifter.

pours a deep caramel/amber tone with orange highlights. much darker than you typically see in a DIPA; foamy 1" head demonstrates excellent retention and lacing.

potent bouquet of hops in the nose. fruity (citric, maybe some apple), with pine and also floral characters. i do get the suggestion of a malty backbone.

interesting flavor. big hoppy bitterness out front but by mid-palate i get the fruit - again citrus, apple - pine, and toasty maltiness. hmm... i like it. more bitter than i tend to look for in my DIPAs, but other than it it's very tasty. not your garden variety DIPA, which is nice.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with medium carbonation. bitterness fatigues the palate in short order, so drinkability suffers a bit. the only other thing i'll mention with this one is that it's someone cost-prohibitive.

4.28/5  rDev +14.1%

Blind beer number 5 from sitarist.
I cracked it open and said-- "wow that smells hoppy!"
I grabbed my imperial pint glass.

Pours a deep orangey color with some reddish copper hints. There are some white chunks floating around in here, but it doesn't look bad! Huge sticky nearly white head leaves tremendous lacing in gorgeous rings. Very nice.

Smells hoppy. Very hoppy. I'm guessing DIPA already. Tangerines and oranges play heavy on the nose... Grapefruit is prominent as well.

The beer is relatively dry, despite the darker color. Very little malt character, which works to the advantage. This is, simply put, a delivery vehicle for hops. I like it. The hop notes are the same as expected-- big citrus with some pine in the finish-- it blends in to the massive and abrasive bitterness. I really like this beer.

The body is light and thin-- much thinner than I'd expect. It does NOT hurt the beer though, in fact it makes it exceedingly drinkable. It isn't very filling, but packs an intense flavor and bitterness. I like this a lot--- an despite what Ding says, I could happily drink this all night! (sessionable? Perhaps not, but only because I'd guess the ABV is around 9%.

I like this a lot. I would happily pick this up and drink it. The dryness really makes the hops sing. The body is light and prickly, excellent carbonation. Very solid all around.

----Reveals bottle to be: Hoppin Frog Mean Manalishi DIPA.

Wow. I've passed on this so many times because I was never sure if it was fresh! ABV is a solid 8.2%
this is a damn fine DIPA. Very pleased! Thanks to sitarist for the bottle!
A-4.5
S-4
T-4
M-4.5
D-5

3.65/5  rDev -2.7%

This was an odd DIPA for me. I'm assuming it's a fresh bottle, the store *just* got in the shipment..not even in the computer yet. It looks fine, like a smooth amber honey. Head is off-white, but more on the white side.

Aroma is sharp hops, earthy and piny with some orchard fruits. The oddness starts. I can't tell if the aroma is more from the hops (don't know the hop-bill) or from the malt. Seems a bit caramel-y, but not sweet....

And the flavors confuse me. The pine and earth are almost canceling out each other...but not quite. A citrus tinge hits, but then it's more of an apple cider taste in the back...without the sweetness. Perhaps apple skin..tannins if you will. Some resinousnessnessness. It's not a bad taste, just odd. And with the extreme bite on the end, I like it more.
Easy drinking for me.

3.01/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured in to Duvel tulip. No freshness info was apparent.

A - Medium amber colour, translucent. Appears filtered. Small amount of white head.

S - Hops dominate the nose, especially up front. Citrus and floral notes. Sweet malts are present in the background but definitely the secondary flavour in the nose. Some caramel and toffee come through from the malts.

T - Tongue-twisting bitterness up front that dominates the palate throughout. Floral and some pine notes are present. There is a faint secondary malt backbone with some caramel and toffee notes that are hard to detect with the bitterness from the hops dominating.

M - Medium body; moderate carbonation.

D - VERY BITTER. I love hop-forward IPAs and this was even to bitter for me.

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A bomber poured in flared glass.

A: cloudy orange color; abundant head, good carbonation; lacing nice
S: booming roses and hops
T: bitter and very hoppy--so hoppy it's soapy tasting; pine taste resonates throughout; flavor lingers forever
M: somewhat filmy

Overall, a powerful contribution, but out of balance.

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Live Review. Poured from the brown bomber that I bought at Wine and Beverage Depot in Mentor a few days ago for $10.99. I have seen this beer in stores repeatedly and I guess that I finally "gave in" the other day. No "best by" or brewed on date observed by me.

A Dark copper translucent body under a light brown creamy head that is short lived...about 2 minutes...but the higher ABV is likely responsible for that. Good, strong look. 4.0

S Very strong hops but also barley malt sweetness as well. Intriguing, this has the makings of one big DIPA. 4.0

T/M The hops and the malt are there but there is also an annoying, overly burdensome bitterness that lingers on the back of my toungue and reminds me of a burlap bag or perhaps scraping my tongue on the bark of a tree. It is really an abrasive bitterness and it is really hard to ignore or overcome. 2.0

D Not really that high due to the unimpressive taste and feel. I admit it was a struggle to finish the bomber. I have had many other DIPAs that were easier to drink than this one. 2.0

Notes: Dissapointed in this one from a local brewer. I really do not appreciate that overly bitter taste in a DIPA. I don't appreciate a lack of "bottled on" date. Lastly, it does not help that this beer is so expensive!

2.83/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Bright orange-red, almost approaching cherry red territory, with a two finger head (if that), and tons of yeasties floating around in the unfiltered brew.

S: Citrus bomb for sure, but it wasn't an in-your-face explosion. Grapefruit husk, orange, and an assertive amount of hop bitterness led the way.

T: RIDICULOUSLY bitter! I mean it was a total assault on my taste buds and then some. This is what grapefruit would have tasted like had there been no natural sugar or fiberous pulp to soften the blow of the bitterness. The finish was so dry I'm surprised I was still hydrated after one sip. Resinously resinous!

M: Like I said, it was bitter and it was the lingering type. IMO, the only way this brew would have worked for me was if the carbonation was at such a ridiculous level that it cut through and gave cushion to the highly absurd IBU count... but as it stood, the carbonation was moderate at best.

D: I paid $12.99 for this beast. Heck, I could have gone into a Binney's in Chicago and bought a Dreadnaught for less than that and would have been far more satisfied.

4.16/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber tea color with a medium creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is bready sugary caramel malts, and fruity piney, resiney, hops.

The flavor is sweet sugary fruity caramel malts followed by a big resiney piney bitterness that lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, a very nice DIPA. It's not at all balanced, but is a nice hop bomb.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Amber copper color with substantial bubblies and some offwhite foam. A fine-looking beer.

Beauquet is strong and citrussy. All hops.

Flavor starts out as a nice bitter rush, but does not develop well. Fermentation character is not as good as it could be. Otherwise, a solid hop bomb.

Mouthfeel is medium with fizzy tingle.

Drinkability is okay. A very bitter ipa, which I like. Very hop centric, which I appreciate, but it is a bit overattenuated.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bomber bought on sale for $8.99. No Freshness Date. Pours an extremely murky deep amber color. The head doesn't stick around for very long. Some lacing. Aroma is a punch in the face from Rocky Balboa. Big time hops. Pine and maybe a bit of citrus but hard to pick out any nuances in this beer. Taste is uber hoppy and bitter as hell. The bottle says 168 IBU and I'm inclined to believe them. I enjoyed the hell out of Devil Dancer and this beer does remind me of it a bit but with less ABV. The 22oz size and the ridiculous amount of hops makes this a beer to take your sweet time enjoying. This is one hoppy beer but I can't say it is too hoppy for me. (No puns intended)

2.49/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint.

A- pours a very cloudy shade of orange with a 3 finger slightly offwhite head. The head fades quickly, and doesn't lace very well...the beer itself looks pretty ugly. Lots of sediment in there.

S- very strong citrus hops, to the point where it almost burns my nose...that's not too good, though it does smell pretty yummy

T- really bitter. REALLY bitter. And that bitterness sticks around for awhile. I'm really not getting any citrus...just a lot of bitter pine resin. VERY disappointing

M- really thick and syrupy, which is to be expected from the style...doesn't work with how unbelievably bitter this is though. Absolutely choking

D- no. Oh god no. This is really hard to choke down, just because its so ridiculously hoppy and strong and...yeah

2.76/5  rDev -26.4%

A- darker than I expected, a rusty copper with an very light tan head. Decent head, appears to be leaving some lacing as well.

S- Aroma seems to be floral hops with some slight mustiness as well.

T- Initial taste is almost caramel/brown sugar, biscuit-like. Not what I was expecting, but not altogether bad. This fades quickly and a more typical pine resin taste takes over. A bit of the mustiness present in the taste as well, especially as it warms just a bit. No notable floral/citrus in the taste.

M- Fine carbonation, aftertaste lingers, medium bodied.

D- It's drinkable, personally I'd opt for other DIPAs. It's almost like this beer is backwards with an initial maltiness that finishes with a lot of hops.

3.36/5  rDev -10.4%

I've been sitting on this one for a couple months because I was hoping to share the bomber - the tauted 168 ibus seemed a little scary to attempt on my own. Flash forward to tonight: I really want a beer and no one to drink with - let's crack the Mean Manalishi and see what happens...

Looks absolutely amazing - everything you'd want out of a strong Midwest IIPA: Nice dark amber, almost red color. Excellent rolling foam off-white head. Leaves intermittent thick and sticky lace.

Smells of hops alright: bitter and piney, very earthy, smells just like the Ahtanum hop pellets I threw in to dry hop my homebrew tonight.

The taste is full of plenty of hop bitterness. At times it can be overbearing, and at others I am wondering where all 168 ibus went. Slightly sweet and boozy.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly carbonated. Cloying and sticky.

Drinkability suffers because the bitterness gets out of control the more you get through the bottle. Beers like this make me wish HF sold 12oz bottles as well, as that would have been the perfect portion.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz capped bomber poured into a Dogfish Head snifter.

A: This beer poured a dark burnt orange with a thin 1 finger tan head which dissipated very quickly leaving only a minimal lacing on the glass.

N: The nose was sweet with only a hint of some citrus.

T: The taste started off sweeter than I was prepared for, making me think Barleywine not Double I.P.A., then near the middle to the end it finished with notes of grapefruit and orange rind bitterness and a hint of piney resin. With each additional mouthful the beer became more bitter in the finish and left you with a very nice bitter feel on your tongue 5 minutes after the last sip.

M: The mouthfeel was of a medium body and feel with a nice level of carbonation.

D: The drinkability was good but not something I would want to rush to have another bottle/glassful.

This was a good beer & I'm very glad I had the opportunity to try it. If you find one yourself try it if you haven't already, but there are too many other much better Imperial I.P.A.'s out in the market for me to consider buying this one again any time soon.

3.63/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Rich golden almost reddish with a light tan head. Does not stick to glass but does lay on the beer very nicely.

S - Nice citrisy malty nose. Perhaps needs some more hops in the nose, very sweet.

T - Nice grassy hop in the front and back. Very dry almost piney. The malt in the nose is surpassed by the hops in taste. Not balanced but great for a hop head.

M - Rich and pretty highly carbonated. The malt sticks to your tongue.

D - Very hoppy and very dry. A sipper for sure but a solid example of an American 2x IPA.

Overall very nice, a bit unbalanced but for the hop head, solid.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Standard copper pour, minimal head and chunkees. Aroma was sweet and bitter.

Taste, was sweet and bitter as well. A feeling like the sweetness and bitterness from cherry lifesavers was in here, disappointing. Didn't really get much of a hop feel out of it initially, began to meld halfway down, allowed some very weird flavors to branch out, I mean, there was that cherry, and then it allowed some pine and cinammon as if it was a Christmas dipa.

Was definitely a little sticky, was able to appreciate more and more as it went on. This one really just suffers from lacking a hop flavor and dry hop nose. Goes closer to a barleywine than I want my dipas. The immense bitterness takes awhile.

Give it to that one friend of yours who doesn't really drink anything but extreme hopped beers.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a cloudy orangey amber, topped by two fingers of dark beige head, and some lathery lace clings on glass.

Not much of an aroma, some neutral sweet, orange/grapefruit citrus, an earthy note, and just a hint of bitter.

Big taste. It starts sweet and malty, quickly transitions to some righteous citrus, earthy notes, some bright floral, then hits the finish line with a pedal stomp of heavy citrus pith and drying pine. Somehow the sweet hangs in there, and this is more balanced than many hop grenades, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, med.carb., highly resinous, and a very good finish somewhat short of epic.

Drinkability is good, leave it at that.

Impression: Glad I tried it, it's my fave style, but will not get this again, many equally good IIPA easier to get, less expensive.

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

22 ounce bottle. Double IPA with 168 theoretical IBUs. Okay then, let's do this. I'm not afraid of a little thing like IBUs. Poured a bit into my snifter. Color is a nice deep mahogany red with very little, if any head. swirling the beer a bit results in a sticky and finely etched lacing on the sides of the glass. Let's take a sniff of this bad boy. You get a hops invasion from the nose. Seems like all the classic hop flavors are there - pine first, then citrus, followed by floral. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky, and the first taste gives you a clear sense of this bitterness that you're about to endure. First taste is just an assault on the palate. Resin, pine, citrus, hops just attacking you from all sides. There's absolutely no malt - or anything else for that matter - to back up the barrage of hops that you're dealing with. Finishes with a prolounged and almost painfull bitterness. Never thought I would say this, but there's just too much hops to deal with. I've long been a fan of IPAs but this thing is just too extreme, which leaves me almost incredulous. Honestly it's not fun to drink this - I'm having trouble just finishing my few ounces in my sinfter. Seems like Hopping Frog went out of their way to make the most extreme and inaccessible DIPA that they could. If that's what they were going for then they succeeded.

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Pours a remarkably clear light copper hue. Has 1cm dusting of off-white foamy head.

S: Earthy/Spicy/Piney/Citrusy/Fruity (in that order), it's all there. The earthy is probably the most up front. Some malty notes are also present.

T: The malt drowns out the palette on first contact. It lingers around until all of the hop flavors seem to all go off at the same time for a second or two, followed by the slow-start, small-town fire horn that ramps up to a full blown air raid siren of hop bitterness. At 3/4 magnitude there really isn't any flavor, it's an all out carpet bombing of bitterness.

M: Fairly heavy bodied, slick and sticky. High carbonation.

D: The more I drink, the less I want to keep pulling from it. There is very little taste or aftertaste besides just a hop tongue coma.

Conclusion: It all went down hill after the smell. I am a huge hop head, and I have to say this one is pretty reckless. The bottle boasts 168IBUs, and it tastes like it. Although, I don't think it's possible to solubilize that much iso-alpha-acid in only 8% ethanol...

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orange color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: Not an overpowering aroma, but did have elements of citrus, hops, malt and an earthy quality.

T: Tasted of grapefruit, floral hops, malt and that earthy quality, which could have been omitted. Still, not a bad flavor.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a smooth finish.

D: A drinkable beer.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

Hoppin' Frog Mean Manalishi Double IPA is rich, earthy, roasty, and gorgeous.

It poured a perfect deep copper with a two-finger tan head, and it let perfect thick, tight rings of lace. This was exactly the appearance I expect from a Double IPA. During, and right after the pour, there was a hint of citric aroma: however that quickly gave way to aroma matching the flavor: very rich earthyness, with pine resin and roasted malt. The after-taste was the most enjoyable and richest I ever experienced, dominated by salty dry roasted almonds. The feel was a little thin; however, it finished with a nice dryness that complimented the roasty/salty flavor.

When judging beer, I often ask, if I would acquire more of the beer I was drinking, or if I would work it into my regular rotation. Hoppin' Frog Mean Manalishi gets a resounding "yes" to both questions. The rich flavors and roasty finish make it a contender for another question I always ask: If I can only have one beer the rest of my life, what would it be?

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%

Transcribed from undated notes.

This arrived with a finger of light-tan head with decent retention. Color was the deepest amber that I have ever encountered with NE-quality clarity to boot. Nose was slightly sweet, tending more towards malty, unusual for the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a fantastic hops presence on the tongue. Finish was really hot, accounting for my suddenly husky voice. More!

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber, pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a dark, red-orange. Head was surprisingly light, lowered into a ring of carbonation that left minimal-moderate lacing.

Smell - Hoppy as hell! Not particularly complex, but strong and biting. Flowers, oranges, and pine.

Taste - The way I like my doubles...hoppy with muted malt notes. Hops are quite bitter, and favor the earthy, piney side. Slight citrus notes in the aftertaste. Sweetness of the malts hits mid palette and clears.

Mouth Feel - Carbonated quite well, and not overwhelming. Crisp, and little to no alcohol burn.

Drinkability - Tasty and pretty smooth! ABV isn't horrible for a DIPA, and for sure would have another.

Overall, a very solid DIPA that, though expensive, was very tasty. Would love to have it on tap some time.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass.

Copper body, decent head with good lacing. All the heavenly pine and citrus aromas you'd expect from an IPA. Personally, I find all the complaints about how unbalanced this beer is to be overblown. It's definitely bitter, but it wasn't nearly as unrelenting as, say, Hopsickle. The honeyish malt is not at the forefront by any means, but it does make its presence felt. In all, one of the better DIPAs on the market.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a copper orange colour with a tight off-white head. Smell hits you over the head with citrus and pine hops with a tiny bit of caramel. Taste is very bitter. Lots of fresh hop flavour, so much that you can taste it for minutes after a sip. Spot on carbonation level. Compared to their triple IPA, it doesn't seem so hoppy, but this is just a complete hop bomb. If you love hops and don't require a huge balance, this is a beer for you.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. from Hoppin' Frog Brewery