Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: klewis on 07-03-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a nice hazy orange color. not too much to say for head or lacing down this glass. The flavors are a bit malty at first but round out to a great hop bitterness. I wish there was a little more bitterness in the initial sip but what can you do. The hop flavor is one of orange juice 75% Grapefruit 25%. overall a great beer and one I would buy again. I love this stuff.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Intro: Split a 22 oz. bottle with a friend in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Full rich head and lots of sediment with a bronze coloring, darker than the triple. Lacy hangs to the glass, the only detraction is the sediment I would go a four except for the sediment. It looks like fresh apple cider due to the large amount of sediment in the beer.

Smell: Not nearly as aromatic as the triple. I get the hops smell, but it is more subdued. I don’t smell the alcohol. I smell a trace of caramel in the aroma.

Taste: Much more of a malty taste and the hops are only noticeable at the end, and the burnt aftertaste is in this beer as well as the triple. It is a well balanced beer and in some ways more complex because of its diversity of tones in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Generally the same mouthfeel as the triple, but not as dry and a little creamier. Carbonation is evident as well as the hop oil coating.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

pours an unfiltered amber with little head.

smell is fairly sweet with strong earthy hops and some fruit.

taste is sweet molasses with a good hop finish. something odd about the flavor though.

mouth is medium-thick with low carbonation.

only ok, not terrible but too sweet with an odd flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a copper amber with a nice white head that fades quickly but leaves nice lacing.

The aroma is of grass, flowers, citrus and pine. Pine dominates with grapefruit right behind it. Undertow of caramel and toast notes create a nice backbone.

The flavor follows with a firm foundation of honey and toast with honeysuckle and floral qualities throughout dominated with big pine and grapefruit combos. Interesting, slightly off balance.

A little syrupy and boozy

Overall, an excellent assault on your taste buds.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

I was in the mood for tearing my taste buds a new a-hole so I pulled a DIPA out of the fridge and poured. I got the typical chill haze indicative of a DIPA and some nice off-white froth that left behind spiderweb lacing. Sweet, but not as sweet as the smell. Nice juicy grapefruit come to me immediately and I smiled, but lost the smile immediately with the thought that beers that smell good don't always translate into beers that taste good. This is so true of the "bigger" beers like DIPAs, Imp Stouts and Barleywines. In this case we have a beer that doesn't follow the smell to the tee. This is often the case with highly hopped beers since brewers of DIPAs like to use one hop as the bittering agent, one as the flavoring agent and a third as the one that adds the aroma. So this beer having a different hops signature on the tongue than in the nose was expected, but this was not a horrible thing here. Although I really wanted it taste exactly as is smelled I got some pine instead. I've had many DIPAs with a piny taste that came off as pitch or pine tar...this comes off as pine resin with some citrus in there as well. The malts are more aggressive here than in the nose giving off a sense of high fiber cereal. Body is on the thicker side of medium and the aftertaste will leave you tasting resin for a good while. No, I'm not going to time it.

Yep, my taste buds have been reamed, but that's what I was looking to do. This will keep me to one beer tonight and 22 ounces of 8.2% ABV will help me sleep well.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Split a bottle with a buddy a few hours ago - pretty fresh batch.

Pours a slightly hazy amber, frothy head about 1.5 inches thick leaves a solid amount of lacing on the glass.

Nose is...pretty faint. Alcohol first, some burnt peanut & maybe a bit of pineapple.

First sip...nice balance with the malt! Reminds me of Laughing Dog's Sneaky Pete...but with a bit more citrus (IPA's & IIPA's are kind of a crapshoot depending on how fresh you get them, I notice a bit more of a hop presence in this one than I did sneaky pete.) Creamy, silky texture, little to no trace of the 8.2% abv.

Mouthfeel is solid, but the finish is pretty short. Mostly on the back palate, but leaves me wanting more in lieu of savoring what I've just had.

Overall - Not bad. At 12.49 a bottle I'm not blown away, but a solid offering. The malt balances really well without hiding too much of the hop presence. Worth splitting with 2 other people to keep the cost down.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass...

Dinner time, which means dinner with a beer time.

Color is what I'd expect out of this style; it's reddish amber, partly cloudy, with a slight chance of rain (kidding!). With an aggressive pour, there's a 2 cm orange rind-colored head that holds maybe a minute before breaking down into lace. Shows some promise.

The smell is pretty much what I'd expect out of this style as well. Hops are in the lead, citrus and pine, there's something floral going on, and there's also a bit of an astringent quality. I'm not as jazzed as I was two minutes ago.

Too much pepper. It's trying to play Dikembe Mutombo and block the flavors that we tend to like, for example, the grapefruit, the pine, the floral, etc. A little roasted malt, but you have to be looking for it.

Mouthfeel is ehh. The usual qualities bear out (light-bodied, decently carbonated), but the overwhelming pepper up front and the medicinal quality in the finish just killed this for me.

Overall, it's a beer that I can say that I tried. Not my favorite in this style, but not the end of the world. Nachos as an appetizer help this along. Cheers.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a deeo burnt copper in color, on which an orange-tan head forms a crown two fingers tall and very dense. Retention is good and the lacing has fantastic stick. No doubt this is a beauty.
There's a delicious hops aroma, mainly citrus with some pine and a bit of a floral note. Malts aren't quite enough to balance an otherwise fantastic bouquet, though. With balance, this aroma is exceptional.
The flavor in this hop monster is pinw qith a big resinous aspect though it goes a tad "rindy," the rind flavor adding a hint of saltiness before an astingently bitter floral finish. Malts may add a touch of caramel though the sweetness is syrupy, and the ethanolic alcohol adds a bit more to the harsh astringency of it. This is made to be a hop bomb and someone looking for a more refined beer needs to look elsewhere. Hop heads may like this (and I consider myself one), but anyone who appreciates balance and the subtle skill of brewing that imparts it will be looking elsewhere. This lacks balance to the extreme.
The body is medium. A creamy heft mingles with a light crispness. Detracting from the mouthfeel is the unfortunate odd salty/bitter finish.
I think I've finally found the DIPA that would be better with age.

The hops nearly knock you out with the smell, with a white head that doesn’t quit. I like the deep copper color, but the amount of sediment has me a little concerned.

This is definitely a hop bomb with pine, grapefruit, and some spice. Long, insanely dry, and bitter finish. Some pucker factor

Worth trying just to say you’ve done it. It’s an experience.

1.97/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

22oz bomber poured into a wine glass.

A- Deep dark orange hue, very clear, just a bit of visible carbonation. Slightly under a one finger head, sticks around and leaves good webby lacing.

S- Lemon zest, apples, and biscuit. Get a faint note of pepper as well. It doesn't smell bad, but not how a DIPA should smell, imo of course.

T- Apple is the dominate flavor I'm getting, with a strong hint of lemons. Aftertaste is reminiscent of band-aids. Bit of biscuity malt. It is pretty bitter but not as bitter as I would suspect for 168IBU's.

M- Mouthfeel is light, borderline watery.

O- I obviously got an old bottle, and at 12.99$ a bomber it wasn't worth it at all. I had to drain pour this one, just not something I wanted to finish. I will not buy again unless Hoppin Frog starts putting "bottled on" labels.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my terrapin cask ale pint glass.

A-very deep orange/red/amber color. very nice 2-3 finger head that dissapated very slowly. looks pretty delicious.

S-HOPPY. smelled very exciting. cant wait to taste this one. smells and looks great. smells of some grapefruit and maybe a jumble of other similar fruits mixed with some hops.

T-hops. definitly some malts. i wouldnt say the hops were extremely bitter. i wouldnt give it a 168 ibu. but does mostly taste of hops. maybe some slight fruityness.

MF- not bad. some creaminess to it. thick. not sure how to describe it but it sort of has a full feeling to it.

O-its alright. nothing exceptional. I have had many IPAs better than this. But at the same time I have had some worse. I would prefer this over any macro. But this was a bit over priced. Very glad I tried this though just for the experience.

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

The beer pours a dark golden amber color with a thick frothy off-white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has an awesome hop nose; bold, bitter, and full of citrus character. The malt bill provides adequate complexity and balance. The taste is good. It has a smooth pale malt flavor as well as damn fine hop taste. It's incredibly hoppy, but overly bitter. It goes down quick with no alcohol warmth at all. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a very good DIPA. It's easy drinking and full flavored; a true hop lovers delight.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

We pour a brew of dirty copper. It holds a two finger head of tannish bubbles that are of variable sizes, the topmost layer being the biggest and stickiest. As they slowly recede patterned lacing is left intermittently around the glass. Translucency is low, as a deep haze permeates the liquid. No sediment is noted otherwise. Carbonation appears to be average. The aroma is bright with soapy hops. There are notes of grassy bitterness and an earthy metallic bite to them as well. The malts, as advertised, are deep, roasty, and caramelized. They have the slightest charcoal character, but really are more brown sugary and lofty with diacetyls. There is also a band-aid/medicinal quality, but this can be attributed back to the hops. The yeast is bready and has a bit of spice, making the nostrils sing a bit on the way back. As we sip, a sweeter caramel malt hits up front. These predominate until the middle of the flavoring where they morph into a bitter darker roasted malt. Here is where the hops really start to pick up, and at their peak they exhibit a further degree of bitterness and a good deal of soapiness. This quickly mellows out to a smoother finish, with a nice balance of those deep and bitter malts, with those spicy, soapy hops. The aftertaste breathes with a peachy fruitiness, a strong black tea tannin-like flavor, bittering and soapy hops, and some sickly sweet booze. The body is medium to full and the carbonation is lighter. The feel with each swig is with significant slurp and slosh. This stems from creaminess imparted by the well retained head. The mouth is ultimately left on the drier side due to the tannin quality and the bitter action from the hops. The abv is appropriate and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed best about this brew was the spicy and hoppy nose. The hops were certainly bright enough to justify this being classified as it is, but there was also a surprisingly pleasant warming from some sweet malts used. This made room for a nice balance, and was subsequently noted in the flavoring. While this was appreciated, and very much what it seemed like the brewers were going for, it made for a robust flavoring that, at times, took over for the hoppiness that this IPA should have exhibited more strongly.

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter. Good appearance, like a DIPA should look. Two finger head that goes down but lasts the life of the beer. Holy bitterness. Tastes like I just stuck some hops in my mouth. WTF? Can't even really taste the beer cuz it's so damn bitter. 168 IBU's. Might be a few too many Hoppin Frog. I appreciate the over the top approach but for me this doesn't work.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

poured into a tulip glass, color is a brownish copper, puffy tan colored head lingers and bit then drops leaving great lacing on the sides of the glass. The aroma is piney, with a touch of citrus, the flavor is plenty bitter, some caramel malt sweetness, then a almost grass like or vegetal flavor as it goes down my throat, and tinge of alcohol. I'm glad to have tried it but it's not one I'd seek out again.

3.92/5  rDev +4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - A hazy amber orange body with a quickly dieing head that leaves some lace.

S - A big nose of Citrus and tropical fruits that all jump around together.

T & M & D - A big hop bomb with tons of citrus and tropical fruit notes all over the place. The malt backbone is subtle but resiliant. Big bold flavors with some spice bitterness on the end. The mouth is medium bodied that plays with heavy and it is definately a palate buster.

O - Lots of good big bold flavors, but they can get a little confusing on the palate at times. A good representation of a big DIPA!

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy deep orangeish red with some sediment. An inch of tight off white head lingers quite a while after pour and into several drinks. The Belgian lacing on this beer sticks around better than any beer I have had in quite some time.
Smell: Getting a mixture of citrus grass and floral hops in the aroma.
Taste: I get delicious hop bitterness right up front and it lingers well into the next sip. I taste grassy and piney notes with that sticky hop resin that hops heads crave. I could go for a few more hops being a double IPA but it is enough to make me wanting more.
Mouthfeel: That hop resin makes the flavor stick to the palate nicely. It drinks like a double IPA should.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Reviewed on 5/20/11

Poured in to a tulip. 1.5 finger, thick, rocky, off-white head. Some good lacing. Clear, amber body.

Smell was floral and citrusy. Some light spicey hop aroma with a good malt sweetness. Pretty unique in that it doesnt smell like most DIPAs.

Taste had floral notes again. Some earthy and spicey flavors with a light citrus appearance. Some very strong bitterness in the finish that lingers on your tongue. Some light caramel with mild sweetness in the middle. Not your typical flavor profile. Lingering resinous hop bitterness. Touch of toasty malts.

Mouthfeel had a medium/light body with good carbonation. Dry finish.

Drinkability was good. Interesting flavor profile with some strong hop bitterness in the finish.

2.7/5  rDev -28.4%

Very dark and dank mahogany in color but I had to pour pretty hard to get a good head. No audible hiss when I opened the bottle. Hopefully not undercarbonated. Smell is piney, earthy, woody, resiny, caramel, tropical notes and bitter. Has the smell of a barleywine. A little underwhelming compared to a fresh Bigfoot though. Very harsh bitterness. Kind of a very faint sweet maltiness backing it up. I am not really getting anything else other than harsh bitterness. There really isn't any flavor backing it up. And yes it is a bit undercarbonated. Not much heat thought which is a plus. Overall I think I am going to have to pour this out and get something I actually want to drink right now. This isn't doing it for me.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Purchased at Knightly Spirits OBT, Orlando, FL.

No freshness date. 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Pours with a lot of head over a hazy brown body. First smell makes me think it might be old (But without a fucking date, who knows right?!). A ton of malt character for a double IPA...which is right for this beer after reading the label. Good amount of bitterness but its mitigated by the caramel malt that is overpowering in my opinion. Not a fan. I will continue to recommend their dark beers but never this.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a deep burnt amber color, two finger head quickly disappears. Smells of sweet alcohol.
Bitter hops and tons of caramel flavor, some earthy dark fruit too.
Medium body and light carbonation,
Some alcohol heat and caramel malt linger after the finish.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Barely a one finger off white head forms on the pour that is kind of soapy. Body color is a simple amber and clear but there is no visible carbonation at all on this from the bottom. This looks like a small head, a decent color, but also kind of lifeless. Head as small as it is settles in for a small puck and collar though, with virtually no lacing. But this beer doesn't even move it looks dead.

Hop character on the nose of a muted citrus grapefruit, a little grassy but this seems rather small for a double imperial. There seems to be something else here too maybe a little butter like diacetyl. Still alright.

One sip and it's pure bitterness. Where is the fruit sensation this just feels like pure astringency. It also has a finish that feels completely burnt. Mouthfeel seems a little lifeless also and very wet. Nothing but bitterness that just takes over, just not good.

Overall this is just way too bitter for me and I get a just bitter hop bomb, nothing spicy/floral/citrus/sweet and a wet finish. Ugh wetness and bitterness just not good. Even after sitting and not drinking, my tongue feels like it is on fire, this is not fun even for someone like me who enjoys a nice flavorful spice kick, but this is not it. Bitter palate destroying beer, pass.

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a pint glass. I didnt see a bottled on or bb date available on the bottle.

A- Pours a nice amber color, transparent, a light tan to white colored head that fades very quickly. A few carbonation bubbles but nothing much.

S- Sugary and malty for an Imperial, IMO im a bigger fan of IPA's that hold nothing back on hops and leave the malt notes behind. There is a hop presence but it is hidden behind what seems to be a complex smell. I know this has a pretty high IBU (168) but i guess i just seem to get more out of Founders Double Trouble when im looking for a good IIPA.

T- Full feeling and flavorful. It makes up for the smell in taste alone. Im not saying this is bringing this brew to an A rating but it def. improves what was wrong with this brew in smell alone. Complex with noticeable notes of caramel and grain, roasted malts and hops. I get more hops in taste than i do in smell easily.

M- Dry finish. Goes down a little heavy, it just seems to be unbalanced in a few areas. I dont mind this brew if it were available in sixers or at least a little more reasonably priced, but when im putting down $12 for a 22oz. i guess i was expecting an all out hop bomb.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

Bomber served cold into a goblet.

The Mean Manalishi is a beatiful redish amber color with surprisingly good clarity for something so hoppy. The creamy head is slow to form but has good retention. First impression is that it doesn't look like the style it claims to be.

The aroma is pleasantly hoppy, abundantly so, and really fresh too. Lots of big grapefruit and orange zest. It smells just like taking a sniff of these fruits which is something I've never expereienced in a beer.

The flavor is huge and intense, just as expected, and shockingly bitter. The citrus is still there but now overlaid with pine needles and fresh grass. They must have thrown every hop they had at this beer. The malts are strong as well and impart a nice sweetness but it just isn't enough to even come close to balancing out.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated for the style. The alcohol is pretty dominant but the hops may accentuate it.

The 168 IBUs may be overkill, to say the least. This isn't a beer that sneaks up on you, it karate chops you in the face. What's unique is that it smells and tastes like a trip to the produce section of your grocery store.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Been a long time fan of Hoppin' Frog and I'm glad to see they're now in my area. DIPA's can be hit and miss, so hopefully this is a solid one.
Pours a deep reddish color - definitely more scarlet toned than almost any other I've had recently. However it isn't too thick, and there is still a good amount of foam. Seems inviting to me.
This beer falls in an area that I enjoy. It's got big hops that range from tropical notes, peaches, grapefruit, with a grassy bitterness that I like. However there's also a caramel malty note that shows up and provides some needed character without becoming a syrupy sweet mess like some of the other overkill IBU beers can. It reminds me a little of a barleywine with the additional malt note, but make no mistake - the hops are big here.
Good stuff, and highly drinkable for something with roughly 170 IBU's and 8% alcohol.
HF has yet to let me down.

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. from Hoppin' Frog Brewery