Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A.

poor

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: klewis on 07-03-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 363
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Standard copper pour, minimal head and chunkees. Aroma was sweet and bitter.

Taste, was sweet and bitter as well. A feeling like the sweetness and bitterness from cherry lifesavers was in here, disappointing. Didn't really get much of a hop feel out of it initially, began to meld halfway down, allowed some very weird flavors to branch out, I mean, there was that cherry, and then it allowed some pine and cinammon as if it was a Christmas dipa.

Was definitely a little sticky, was able to appreciate more and more as it went on. This one really just suffers from lacking a hop flavor and dry hop nose. Goes closer to a barleywine than I want my dipas. The immense bitterness takes awhile.

Give it to that one friend of yours who doesn't really drink anything but extreme hopped beers.

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a cloudy orangey amber, topped by two fingers of dark beige head, and some lathery lace clings on glass.

Not much of an aroma, some neutral sweet, orange/grapefruit citrus, an earthy note, and just a hint of bitter.

Big taste. It starts sweet and malty, quickly transitions to some righteous citrus, earthy notes, some bright floral, then hits the finish line with a pedal stomp of heavy citrus pith and drying pine. Somehow the sweet hangs in there, and this is more balanced than many hop grenades, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, med.carb., highly resinous, and a very good finish somewhat short of epic.

Drinkability is good, leave it at that.

Impression: Glad I tried it, it's my fave style, but will not get this again, many equally good IIPA easier to get, less expensive.

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

22 ounce bottle. Double IPA with 168 theoretical IBUs. Okay then, let's do this. I'm not afraid of a little thing like IBUs. Poured a bit into my snifter. Color is a nice deep mahogany red with very little, if any head. swirling the beer a bit results in a sticky and finely etched lacing on the sides of the glass. Let's take a sniff of this bad boy. You get a hops invasion from the nose. Seems like all the classic hop flavors are there - pine first, then citrus, followed by floral. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky, and the first taste gives you a clear sense of this bitterness that you're about to endure. First taste is just an assault on the palate. Resin, pine, citrus, hops just attacking you from all sides. There's absolutely no malt - or anything else for that matter - to back up the barrage of hops that you're dealing with. Finishes with a prolounged and almost painfull bitterness. Never thought I would say this, but there's just too much hops to deal with. I've long been a fan of IPAs but this thing is just too extreme, which leaves me almost incredulous. Honestly it's not fun to drink this - I'm having trouble just finishing my few ounces in my sinfter. Seems like Hopping Frog went out of their way to make the most extreme and inaccessible DIPA that they could. If that's what they were going for then they succeeded.

3.1/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Pours a remarkably clear light copper hue. Has 1cm dusting of off-white foamy head.

S: Earthy/Spicy/Piney/Citrusy/Fruity (in that order), it's all there. The earthy is probably the most up front. Some malty notes are also present.

T: The malt drowns out the palette on first contact. It lingers around until all of the hop flavors seem to all go off at the same time for a second or two, followed by the slow-start, small-town fire horn that ramps up to a full blown air raid siren of hop bitterness. At 3/4 magnitude there really isn't any flavor, it's an all out carpet bombing of bitterness.

M: Fairly heavy bodied, slick and sticky. High carbonation.

D: The more I drink, the less I want to keep pulling from it. There is very little taste or aftertaste besides just a hop tongue coma.

Conclusion: It all went down hill after the smell. I am a huge hop head, and I have to say this one is pretty reckless. The bottle boasts 168IBUs, and it tastes like it. Although, I don't think it's possible to solubilize that much iso-alpha-acid in only 8% ethanol...

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an orange color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Pretty good lacing.

S: Not an overpowering aroma, but did have elements of citrus, hops, malt and an earthy quality.

T: Tasted of grapefruit, floral hops, malt and that earthy quality, which could have been omitted. Still, not a bad flavor.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a smooth finish.

D: A drinkable beer.

4.36/5  rDev +16.3%

Hoppin' Frog Mean Manalishi Double IPA is rich, earthy, roasty, and gorgeous.

It poured a perfect deep copper with a two-finger tan head, and it let perfect thick, tight rings of lace. This was exactly the appearance I expect from a Double IPA. During, and right after the pour, there was a hint of citric aroma: however that quickly gave way to aroma matching the flavor: very rich earthyness, with pine resin and roasted malt. The after-taste was the most enjoyable and richest I ever experienced, dominated by salty dry roasted almonds. The feel was a little thin; however, it finished with a nice dryness that complimented the roasty/salty flavor.

When judging beer, I often ask, if I would acquire more of the beer I was drinking, or if I would work it into my regular rotation. Hoppin' Frog Mean Manalishi gets a resounding "yes" to both questions. The rich flavors and roasty finish make it a contender for another question I always ask: If I can only have one beer the rest of my life, what would it be?

3.77/5  rDev +0.5%

Transcribed from undated notes.

This arrived with a finger of light-tan head with decent retention. Color was the deepest amber that I have ever encountered with NE-quality clarity to boot. Nose was slightly sweet, tending more towards malty, unusual for the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a fantastic hops presence on the tongue. Finish was really hot, accounting for my suddenly husky voice. More!

4.02/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber, pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a dark, red-orange. Head was surprisingly light, lowered into a ring of carbonation that left minimal-moderate lacing.

Smell - Hoppy as hell! Not particularly complex, but strong and biting. Flowers, oranges, and pine.

Taste - The way I like my doubles...hoppy with muted malt notes. Hops are quite bitter, and favor the earthy, piney side. Slight citrus notes in the aftertaste. Sweetness of the malts hits mid palette and clears.

Mouth Feel - Carbonated quite well, and not overwhelming. Crisp, and little to no alcohol burn.

Drinkability - Tasty and pretty smooth! ABV isn't horrible for a DIPA, and for sure would have another.

Overall, a very solid DIPA that, though expensive, was very tasty. Would love to have it on tap some time.

4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass.

Copper body, decent head with good lacing. All the heavenly pine and citrus aromas you'd expect from an IPA. Personally, I find all the complaints about how unbalanced this beer is to be overblown. It's definitely bitter, but it wasn't nearly as unrelenting as, say, Hopsickle. The honeyish malt is not at the forefront by any means, but it does make its presence felt. In all, one of the better DIPAs on the market.

4.32/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a copper orange colour with a tight off-white head. Smell hits you over the head with citrus and pine hops with a tiny bit of caramel. Taste is very bitter. Lots of fresh hop flavour, so much that you can taste it for minutes after a sip. Spot on carbonation level. Compared to their triple IPA, it doesn't seem so hoppy, but this is just a complete hop bomb. If you love hops and don't require a huge balance, this is a beer for you.

4.26/5  rDev +13.6%

this was a beer i recieved in trade (thank you Strikertown). when popped i was concerned wit the lack of carbonation, when i poured into a pilsner glass, it came alive. nice one inch head with a beautiful aroma, great amber color whith a very rich hue. after the first sip, i knew this was a top five. great flavor throughout. very much taste the pine, and other citrus flavors with a very good mouth appeal. would not be a beer i would drink every day, but would definitely make it into the category "a beer for a special occasion" which means more to me than an every day brew. would highly recommend to all the hop heads.

cheers

bt

2.26/5  rDev -39.7%

I hate to say it, and i usually don't review beers i don't like, but i found this one to be just too much. Overkill. Nose is resiny, piney, grapefruity... basically all the flavors we associate with good hops mixing together to create something that smells like industrial strength cleaner that they would use at a health food store. Taste is way out of whack, with sweetness from the malt coming through and tons of hop flavor and bitterness that is flabby and muddy. little definition. kind of all over the place with a concept that not only has been done before, but deemed generally uncool by the whole community. yuck. i am so sorry i don't like this one. it was a gift from someone that was raving about how awesomely hoppy it was... i wonder... am i over it?

4.19/5  rDev +11.7%

Popping the cap revealed a bit of a gusher in the 22 oz. bomber, but when poured, the carbonation was reasonably in check and the head was about three finger thick. The body was very cloudy, burnt umber, and quite opaque when held up to the light, which was a very unusual trait for the style. The aroma was like raw pine resin and very nose singeing, which is the way I like my Double IPAs. The taste was bitter up front with a metallic tinge, surprised with the intense caramel malts evident as a very hefty backbone, and displayed a long earthy finish. The beer felt thicker than average in the mouth with a creaminess imparted by the yeast. I picked this up at Green's in Columbia, SC, during a recent visit, and it did not disappoint.

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

Coppery sort of color. Ok carbonation level. Somewhat sharp, acrid aroma. Big hop bitterness upfront. Quite the astringent blast. Some malt and caramel sweetness behind the heavy bitterness but lacks the balance of a really good Double IPA. Ok mouthfeel but the heavy handed hops somewhat strips away what good body may be there. A decent enough beer overall. I love me a good Double IPa but this one is too bitter and lacks any really decent balance.

3.55/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Reddish-amber with a bubbly off-white head

S - Grapefruit and pineapple hops, caramel malt, bit of biscuit.

T - Whew! Lots of pine resin and grapefruit pith. Pretty one-dimensional, but not bad.

M - Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. Sticky as hell.

D - Ehh. It is what it is : a super sticky one-dimensional hop-bomb. Happy with the one I had, won't really go out of my way to have it again. Definite palate killer.

4.03/5  rDev +7.5%

A: deep amber. With not much head or lacing. Nice color.
S: Pine hops and a touch of citrus. Bit of sweetness But BAM hops.
T:Taste is the same. No real malts to it, but alcohol isn't detectable. Pretty bitter and hoppy. Unbalanced but still pretty good. Piney hop juice. Would be better if more balanced.
M,D: Oily mouth but decent carb. Pretty drinkable

4.2/5  rDev +12%

22oz bottled mid-May 2010.

Pours very hazy amber/copper with a one finger off-white head, leaves nice initial drippy rings of lacing, reduces to a light foamy cap.

Aroma features a lot of juicy citrus, oranges, grapefruit, pine makes a strong showing and there is some earth and grass and a fair caramel malt note to offer a bit of balance.

Flavor is resinous, citrus and pine hops and a whole lot of bitterness which does ultimately get tempered by a fair amount of sticky caramel sweetness. Alcohol creeps in as it warms. Not very complex, but the bitterness reigns supreme and invites sip after sip.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, sticky, good carbonation.

A bitter bomb that really delivers, fantastic.

3.58/5  rDev -4.5%

From 6/12/10 notes. Thanks to jslot38 for sharing this one.

a - Pours a ruby red color with no head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus, hops, bready malts, a bit sour.

t - Taste follows the nose but more hops. Citrus hops, fruity hops, some pine, and bready malts. A little bit of bitterness.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A decent IPA. Some nice cirtus hops in the smell and taste. Would give another shot.

4.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Not quite as balanced as the IPA but it's worth a try for the more hop-headed beer drinkers

Appearance: Clear copper with a thin head

Smell: Hoppy citrus with malty sweetness in the background

Taste: Clean hoppy flavor throughout but a bit sweet

Mouthfeel: A bitter kick which lingers throughout

Drinkability: Quite drinkable for a DIPA and it's not too strong or sweet. For the price, though there are better IPAs worth sampling.

3.12/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured this one out into a pint glass.
Rich red rust in color. Very clear. Small but sticky off-white head on top.
Nose is hops and lemon zest. Citrusy with some ethanol on the end.
Taste is hops; more lingering west coast hops. A bit chemical-ey. More ethanol. Kind of harsh. This one reaches a little too far.
Overall it's ok, but I wouldn't come back to it.

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%

Burgundy copper color with a creamy light tan head that leaves quite a bit of lacing and has decent retention.

Juicy pineapple scent with some toasty caramel. Balanced smell, but the pineapple hops smell awesome.

Sharp bitter hops with lots of pine resin. Roasty malt that doesn't add much sweetness at all. A bit of an astringent booze taste as well. Grapefruit peel in the aftertaste.

The feel is smooth, but may be just a tad flat in the carbonation department. Medium bodied with a dry finish.

Drinks okay. The bitternes can get overpowering with the lack of sweetness. There are just way too many better DIPA's out there that I put ahead of this one.

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a nice deep rich darker orange color, lightly hazy. Big thick creamy beige colored head falls slow and laces well, very nice looking brew.

Aroma is nice lots of sweet caramel malts nice citrus fruits orange, mango more sweet then bitter smelling.

Taste is more harsh then the aroma bitting carbonation is masking the rich chewy caramel some what. Hops show up and finish lingering bitterness pine, grapefruit notes. Little disappointed in how this one is going down after smelling so sweet.

Mouthfeel is medium with too much carbonation for my tastes.

Drinkability is eh, its not undrinkable but with so many I2PA's being wonderful see no reason to be drinking this one.

3.87/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

For my first review in nearly forever, what's better than a billion IBU DIPA to get me back into the swing of things? Nothing, that's what.

A- Very nice copper hue with a decent head that's tempered a bit by the fact that I was overly cautious with the pour. Sorry about that. I won't take off for it.

S- Candied orange peel with a sharp resinous undertone. You can tell that this is going to be one bitter-ass beer. Very nice, though.

T- Doesn't disappoint in the bitterness department. There's a nice fruity citrus taste upfront before the bitterness tramples it. The bitterness is profound, with a resiny, at times almost aspiriny quality. I'd even go so far as to call this beer oppressively bitter to start out. I didn't know how I was going to finish it at first. Eventually I warmed up to it and got used to the bitterness. It ended up being quite pleasant. I think maybe it killed a few of my tastebuds. Man, and those were some of my favorite tastebuds!

M- Nice medium body with lively carbonation. It went down quite smoothly. Very nice.

D- Yeah, one is good. If I had another I don't think I'd be able to taste it. Not without an adrenaline shot to the back of my tongue, anyway.

This actually turned out to be a pretty damn good beer. Like I mentioned before, I wasn't sure if I liked it at first. It was really, really, ridiculously bitter. But, the more I drank it, the more I liked it. It's actually a very good DIPA. I'd definitely get it again if it were a little cheaper. As it is, I'll recommend it, but only to extreme hopheads.

3.76/5  rDev +0.3%

Overall, I am a fan. The main problem I had with this beer is the price. I think it should be priced in the $6-8 range with the rest of the high quality IPAs (bombers). That being said, taking the price out of the equation, the taste is great. I like the bitterness factor, but you can also taste the fruitiness as well as some malt. Definitely has that malty/sticky quality to it. The bitterness does come on stronger than most at the end, but it good for a strong finish. Goes down smooth, finishes strong and bitter. I think the alcohol taste gets in there a little bit as well. One of the fruitier IPAs I have had, I think they used orange peel in this. The color is actually more orange for an IPA than usual.

Overall a solid beer, If it wasn't for the price I would look into getting this more often.

4.8/5  rDev +28%

Strong aroma is richly hoppy and evergreen with a firm undertone of grapefruit. It pours a beautiful clear copper with a thick, fine-bubbled, fairly persistent head. Richly hoppy flavor has a hint of grapefruit and is only a teensy bit bitter - in fact, there is a whisper of honey sweetness. Texture is lively and fizzy, fairly dancing in the mouth and leaving the lips a-tingle. A must for IPA lovers.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mean Manalishi Double I.P.A. from Hoppin' Frog Brewery