Silk Porter - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Silk PorterSilk Porter

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: klewis on 12-20-2007)
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Live review. Poured from the 22 oz. bomber that I bought at Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield last week for $6.99 into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. No observed "best by" date.

A Light brown creamy head over a dark brown body that shows some dark mahogany colors in front of direct light. OK look, a bit more lacing or a longer lasting head would have improved it. 3.0

S Dark roast malt with a nice, sweet, coffee/caramel scent that I find really good. 4.5

T I am happy to report that this porter has all of the dark roast malt that you expect and that the promise of an interesting smell (with its coffee/caramel scent) was realized as there is a nice, subtle sweetness as well. The sweetness stays with me for longer than the dark roast malt but each create a great s'mores type of roasted/sweet goodness that I really like. 4.5

M Silky I think is a good description for this delicious porter. 4.0

D Very good to me due to the nice sweetness along with the expected dark roast malt. 4.5

Notes: Some may not appreciate the sweetness in this beer but find it quite enjoyable. I just read the side of the label which states that there are barley malt and caramel malt used. That makes sense...

adamette, Feb 24, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +8.1%

Silk Porter is a great name for a beer, figured I would get that out of the way first. Color is black, with a decent amount of head. Smell is of chocolate, mainly milk, along with licorice, and sweet vanilla frosting. Taste is more than satisfying. I get milk chocolate mostly, along with some licorice notes and definite dark chocolates. Body is medium to heavy, and ever so easy to sip. I had strayed away from this beer in the past, but since this was marked down at Marty's for about six dollars, I decided it was time to give it a try. This is a delicious Porter that I recommend to everybody who is a fan of the style. Cheers

jamie2dope, Feb 15, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

A-Pours a medium brown with very little head or lacing. Nothing real impressive here.

S-Smells good. Roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and surprisingly some alcohol.

T-Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. Typical for the style, but its nothing terribly exciting.

M-A bit on the thin side with harsh carbonation.

D-The harsh carb level takes this one down a half point. Otherwise, its pretty drinkable.

This is not a bad beer, but its very expensive. I can't see myself buying this again. Now if they knock the price down to 4 or 5 bucks a bomber, I'd reconsider. But there are better porters out there that cost a lot less.

Lerxst, Jan 26, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

A/ deep dark brown almost black

S/roasted malts

T/roasted malts a hint of chocolate

M/ dry roasted taste that is quik gone

D/ nice porter like the ones from the u.k.
good taste of malts that are roasted well
with a good hint of chocolate and later a hint of caramel.

redsonja, Jan 06, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Okay too much carbonation kills this. It is a pretty good porter and drinkable; however, it is too carbonated.

A - Poured a dark brown porter color that produces a pretty big and firm head. More of a head I'm used to seeing on a pale ale or IPA and not on a Porter

S - Smells pretty good.. has the smell of chocolate and raisins as most porters.

T - Okay this is weird... It does taste good; however, it is highly carbonated and that takes it down some. I do believe a little less of that would produce a better taste.

M - It does feel light and crisp and not like a very heavy porter. It almost has a mouthfeel of something you would drink on a warm summer day, but looks like something for the fall/winter

D - Goes down pretty easy I must say. I wouldn't really run for these; however, it is not the worst thing by far that I've tasted. Split a bomber amongst three people and I think it's the perfect amount!

Tomdee74, Jan 01, 2010

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that produced a fluffy tan head that had decent retention and left a nice bit of lace around the side of the glass

S - The aroma produced by this beer were roasted malts, bitter chocolate, and some coffee

T - The taste of this beer had the usual suspects for a Porter, roasted malts, chocolate, and milky coffee

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a light to moderate amount of carbonation

D - This beer is what it says it is, a Silky smooth Porter, this would be a much better in a 6 pack rather than a bomber, but I'll take what I can get, a damn good Porter

cvfish, Dec 31, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter.The beer is a little gushy on the pour with fluffy beige to tan head of 5-6 cm foaming up even with a gentle pour. Aroma is chocolatey and some roasted malt notes. A little phenolic rubber in the background, which could be the source of the gush earlier.
First sip reveals an average body and fine yet fizzy carbonation. Flavor is sweet brown sugar and dry cocoa powder mixing with a little roast malt. No hops on ABV to be found here, no off flavors either which was a concern from the start of the review.
A pretty good beer that isnt outstanding but is easy to drink and good while not being complex.
A nice beer that I think I saved, a few more months in my cellar may have been a bad thing. Enjoy but dont go crazy about this beer.

sulldaddy, Dec 31, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Received from the phenomenal trader kryptic!

A- Beer pours jet black, absolutely no light penetrates this brew. Decorated with plenty of tan, frothy head this beer leaves good lacing and has excellent head retention.

S- Plenty of rich chocolate aromas along with a nuttiness and a bit of sweetness.

T- Starts off with a roasted coffee and malt taste followed by the rich chocolatey flavor that appeared in the smell. Finishes off sweet. A well balanced brew.

M- Medium bodied but this thing has too much carbonation for a porter. Leads to a prickly mouthfeel that I don't really desire in a porter.

D- Good, a great beer to relax and unwind with.

The only thing that really hurts this beer is the amount of carbonation. Other than that it was a fantastic beer. Thanks again kryptic!

kbeals, Dec 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +17%

Appears a dark nearly black body with ruby highlights when held toward the light, deep tan head forms thick with a nice creamy texture soft carbonation forms with minimal even thin lacing with each sip. This was my favorite beer when infused with Espresso beans at last years Steel City Big Pour in the Burgh.

Aroma dark roasts bring out mild cocoa and dark roasted coffee accents but a nice creamy filled airiness is detected within each sniff. Mild metallic astringency with herbal hops finishing delicately. Almost a toasted marshmallow comes out as it warms very nice burnt caramel malts in the thick of it.

Flavors are nice creamy dark roasted malt profile brings out layers of light coffee and milk chocolate in this one, with a running back bone of caramel malt to lighten up the roasts a bit. A very nice interpretation of a classic style slightly smokey malts to liven things up, finishes with a mild herbal hop flavor classic brew straight out of Ohio these guys are the dark beer specialists of the North.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied slightly chewy with girth yet it still manages to slide across the palate as smooth as silk, no astringency finishes creamy sweet almost milky. Really good carbonation flow without overdoing anything a truly balanced feel to it.

Drinkability is dangerous I wish I get a whole sixer of this decent pricing for the Hoppin Frog line of beers this one should be their flagship nix their standard Hoppin' to Heaven IPA and say hello to the Silk Porter.

WVbeergeek, Dec 12, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -37.7%

Got this at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a thinner looking one finger tan/brown head that makes tones of crackling noises. Poor retention, head dissipates very quickly and disappears totally. Dark brown and some carbonation in the form of little bubbles. Resembles flat cola.

SMELL: Some smoky barley malt and mound so tobacco, perhaps even cigarette smoke. Hints of sweet caramel malt in the back and a faint touch of milk chocolate as well. Too weak to make a statement, and perhaps that's a good thing. I don't mind some tobacco aromas and flavors, but this is a little over the top.

TASTE: Smoky and roasted barley malt and bitter coffee flavors compete with caramel sweetness up front, which was quite a pleasant surprise. The tobacco makes an appearance, which borders on the unpleasant. Aftertaste is strong and long lasting, consisting of bitter-sweet milk chocolate, bitter coffee and smoky tobacco. A decent taste profile actually; much better than the nose advertised.

PALATE: Disappointing here again. Thinner body and, surprisingly, higher levels of carbonation. Mildly creamy going down, but carries too much air on the way. Finishes quite dry on the palate, almost too astringent. Not full or creamy enough for the style. A bit of a mess here.

OVERALL: I could certainly finish this one, but wasn't necessarily looking forward to the next sip. A big disappointment. I had higher hopes for this offering, from a brewery I otherwise enjoy very much. Am also a big fan of porters as well, but this one just didn't work out. Reminded me more of a weaker Baltic porter that missed the mark. Too heavy on the tobacco, too boring a look, and too light and astringent a palate, this is one I won't be picking up again.

Jeffo, Dec 07, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle poured into my tulip glass.

Pours dark brown with a small off white head. moderate lacing down the glass.

Aroma has some coffee and chocolate notes as well as a little bit of fruit. Not a huge aroma but a very pleasant smelling beer.

Taste is very good, it has some coffee and chocolate flavors along with the roastedness of the malts. I'm enjoying the taste very much. The flavors are not too overpowering, a nice drinkable porter.

Creamy mouthfeel and nicely carbonated.

I very much enjoyed this bomber, it's too bad they don't distribute here so I can buy more of their beers.

billab914, Nov 21, 2009

22 oz bottle poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown with some red tints and a nice thick tan head.

Smell is sweet roast with some cherry.

Very smooth taste that isn't too roasty or coffeeish. Sort of sweet with a lightly bitter finish.

Good mouthfeel and very drinkable beer.

Another solid beer from hoppin frog. Sort of pricy.

aubuc1, Nov 01, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

This bottle is more then a year old I think,or maybe it's the new one I bought. No BB date, so how would I know. Sephiroth sent one of these to me before Hoppin Frog came into town.

Pint glass. A tan & cocoa-lined cascade that eventually settles & stiffens into a rigid pop-marked hockey puck of khaki-colored goo. Matte black, brown leather-lined body.

Piercingly sharp old world porter scent of macerated raisins & figs. I didn't expect that. Chocolate malt, sticky beer residue, burnt sugar, & a medium strength roast.

Toasty dry malt upfront. A touch tangy(more old school), riding into bittersweet char & ever increasingly heavy roast. A subtle sugar coat that's pretty new & fun for me. Dry, slightly crusty finish with some light espresso that is evident in both the new & old bottles. A little too stoutly, but still pretty nice.

Powdered, low-fat milk texture. Slightly watered down, though rich enough to roll. Carbonation is very low, but pricks up near the end.

Besides one bottle being a little more heavy with it's roast, I really can't tell them apart. Good stuff. :)

PEBKAC, Oct 14, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

This is a very good porter. My first from Hoppin Frog and certainly a fine enough attempt to warrant several more. Most notably, there is a strong coffee aroma, as well as a notably smokey aftertaste. One of the smoother porters as well. Pours with a healthy head and pitch black. Fairly thick, but about average for a porter, certainly not overbearing. A fine balance of taste and the alcohol is understated.

Worth your time.

andrewm190, Oct 11, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -36.6%

It pours with a nice caramel color but very little head and lies a bit flat. It had very little aroma, basically nothing which was disappointing. It has a decent caramel, malty flavor with a satisfying finish but not the best by far. Its drinkable but not something I would recommend or purchase again.

JerseyDevil980, Oct 01, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Dark brown, black with a thin tan head that settles to a few spots of lace.

S - Milk chocolate, fruity, slight lactic twang, caramel and roasted malts.

T - Caramel, milk chocolate, slightly lactic, fruity and roasted malts.

M - Light and creamy with light carbonation, thin for the style.

D - Thin but still a nice, easy drinking porter.

brewcrew76, Sep 20, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Only the third beer I have had from this brewery,the other two I had mixed feelings about.Poured a deep dark cola color with a thin creamy toasted almond top,heavy roast in the nose along with some wood and earth,a tinge of bitter chocolate comes thru as well but is somewhat faint.Roasted as all get out on the palate (wich I like),with some espresso roast coffee notes,finishing very dry and earthy with some wood tones.Man if the mouthfeel was just a little bigger to hold up to those big flavors this would be seriously top notch in my book,as is a very good "robust" porter.

oberon, Sep 15, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -11.5%

22 oz bottle purchased at Charleston Beer Exchange and poured into a dimpled mug.

A: Looks really nice at the initial pour. It has a 2 finger thick cocoa colored cap that gradually settles down. The body of the beer shows no highlights around the edges at all. So I would have to call it black. If it had any real lacing to speak of I probably would have given it a 4.5 here.

S: Chocolate and coffee are the main attractions in the aroma. There is also a fruity character as well. Maybe it is from hops?

T: Roasted malt sweetness is balanced by dark chocolate and coffee flavors. There is also a bit of citrus hoppiness as well. It is an interesting beer, but the sum of the parts doesn't turn out quite as well as you would think.

M: It is a bit thin for a porter and the aggressive carbonation doesn't really fit my preference for the style.

D: The aggressive carbonation really made me go a little slowly for this one especially when you look at the ABV.

GatorBeerNerd, Aug 20, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info. It was black in color. Slight carb in center and some lacing. It had a large tan head that slowly settled into a film and collar.

The aroma was dark fruit, weak coffee and roasted malt. Wasn't getting the chocolate that others mentioned. Not a big fan of dark fruit aromas. Also missed the chocolate and stronger coffee aromas that I usually find in this style. As is, it didn't really excite me that much. The taste followed the aroma. Tasted more like a baltic porter to me than an American porter - which goes counter to a lot of reviews and the recent switch here from baltic to American in style.

Overall, a disappointment for me. I've had 2 other Hoppin' Frogs that were excellent and AmPorter is one of my favorite styles so expected a lot and got a little. Mild recommendation if you like Baltic porters. For me, one and done.

[1x]

TexIndy, Aug 18, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -20.2%

This was from a bomber I got recently at Sam's in Chicago. Poured with a fine bubbled tan head, little lace. Color was opaque brown to black. Aroma was a smokey, dark, ripe fruit. Flavor was the same with a bit of sour. Tad thin. Finish is a slight sour tang on back of tongue. Seems to me average at best.

drpimento, Jul 31, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle. Pours black with a small ring of light tan head. Aroma of rich roasted malt, roasted nuts and coffee, and bitter chocolate. Flavor is slightly medicinal with roasted malt, not as tasty as the aroma. It's ok, but nothing special, and certainly medicinal.

LilBeerDoctor, Jul 11, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -5%

Appearance - Black with a brownish cast. From the start I can tell it's way carbonated because of what must have been a four finger head on a reasonably gentle pour.

Smell - This is the best aspect of this beer. The high carbonation I suspect makes the aromatics disperse better. Roasty, chocolate, coffee, and caramel/toffee abound.

Taste - I was let down a bit. This is a very sweet porter, I think a little too sweet. Additionally, the flavor is somewhat roasty, but there's a rather strong grainy taste that I feel doesn't belong. It dominates the flavor profile leaving me wanting some real black malt flavor or roast or chocolate. The grainy twang is the only thing I'm tasting by the end of the bottle.

Mouthfeel - Watery, yet sticky from the sugar. Definitely way overcarbonated. The first sip I had I nearly choked on because all of a sudden there was all this foam in my mouth.

Drinkability - Reasonable, but the sweetness and extreme effervescence lowers the score for me.

Not a bad beer by any means, but I guess I bought into the HF hype a bit and expected something that would compete with the best of porters. The mouthfeel issue and the excessive grainy twang persuade me not to buy another bottle unless the recipe changes much.

BacklitAvenger, Jul 09, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A huge airy head, 4+ fingers I'm talkin about. Brownish color on the head, black with hints of red for the brew. Between the head and the active carbonation, I'd say over carbed.

S: A little sweet, but pretty weak in general.

T: Not much, again, weak, but not really watered down, just weak. There is a milt roast here, but no hops.

M: It's sparkling, basically, but I like it.

D: Only flaw here is because of the carbonation it's a little gassy. Not even done and already burping quite a bit.

mdwalsh, May 20, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

A: Pours a dark chocolate to black color with a tan head that fades to some lacing. No light passed through the body of this beer.

S: The major nose on this is chocolate. There are other subtle tones that are typical of porters: a slight smokiness, maybe a little vanilla.

T: Just like the nose. The chocolate malt is the major tone. The vanilla adds a little sweetness. A well-balanced flavor.

M: This is one smooth beer. Medium body and not overly carbonated.

D: This is a very well built beer. Very drinkable: balance taste, smooth finish - not harsh, lightly carbonated but not flat. This is a good session beer. At 6.2 ABV and it being a full 22 oz bottle makes it a little stronger than I like. But that makes it a good beer to share with friends.

BobbyBeerman, Apr 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

Pitch black with chocolate highlights. Small, tan head.

Aroma is fairly sweet with a touch of chocolate. Some vanilla as well.

Kind of bready in the flavor with some of that chocolate flavor gone. More breadiness.

Not bad. I cant say this blew me away or was awful. Average.

SaCkErZ9, Apr 02, 2009