Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Reviews by everetends:
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I have rhinos00 over on BA to thank for this bottle. He hooked me up with this one in the Gentleman's Club BIF. This bottle has at least a year on it I belive. Served up in a tulip. Get on it.

A: Looks just like the regular BORIS. It has that shiny, inky black body that has some gloss to it. Its dark and not letting any light through whatsoever. Moving it around in the glass, you get that light yellow film being left on the glass. The beer appears to be thick and creamy. But yet again, there is pretty much zero head. There was a little bit of brown bubbles that came up, but they were minimal and disappeared quickly. No lace whatsoever. Has that somewhat boring look that the original had.

S: This shines here in the nose. First things first. The whiskey and wood really come out. This is nice and boozy with a good amount of vanilla wood notes. The best part is that it doesn't cover up the original BORIS aroma. Getting all of that hearty, earthy oatmeal that is nice and lightly sweet. Behind that you get the bitter chocolate presence, that is semi sweet and nicely bitter. This is great.

T: Hmmm. I will start off by saying this is good . . . probably a little better than good. BUT . . . the booze really overpowers this beer. The flavor profile is almost all boozy whiskey notes and vanilla. It kinda feels like a completely different beer without the BORIS base. I mean I am not getting any of the Oatmeal really at all that I got in the original. That was the best part for me. I am getting some chocolate notes along with some dark fruit (maybe plum, cherries and fig). With all that said, I still really like it but its a bit disappointing in some flavor arenas.

M: Coming across big and creamy like the OG BORIS. Has that nice weight to it that coats just enough, allowing flavors to linger and let you fully understand them. Getting a little more heat on the palate and throat than I remember from the original, but that may be my imagination stemming from the booze flavors. Aftertaste is all woody vanilla notes and booze.

D: This was interesting. Its really good but I feel a little let down. The best thing for me about the original BORIS was that huge oatmeal presence and this really doesn't have that at all in the flavor. The booze and whiskey notes really took over and completely changed the beer. Original BORIS became a standard for me, and I feel if you are going to screw with something, you need to make it better. And I truly can't tell you if it has become better and I fear it hasn't. Its good. Its quality, but it isn't blowing me away or making feel it improved BORIS. Ah well. Its still good and drinking well.

Serving Type: 22oz Bottle Vessel Type: Tulip Price:NA

4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

White top.Poured nearly jet black except for just a faint ruby tint when held right nex to the light.A dark beige that sits for quite awhile atop,it looked menacing in a good way.Aromas of drunken dark fruit,molasses,chocolate,and french roast coffee,barrel played a smaller role than expected but is there.A full chewey feel in the mouth,very nice.Chocolaty flavors and quite roasted at the onset of the palate,dark fruit and vanilla notes as well from the bourbon.This was a great night cap last night,it was rich but not over done with the barrel,it seemed even bigger than it is.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into big glass.

Appearance: Dark, thick - motor oil comes to mind - liquid which leads to a deep mocha colored head that rapidly dissipates and leaves no lacing along the side of the glass. Holding this sucker up to the light, I can't tell if there are any bubbles because it's so dark.

Smell: Oh man. This reminds me a lot of BCBS at first sniff. Very bourbon-heavy, but lots of vanilla and caramel notes as well. Pretty complex nose overall. If this tastes even close to how it smells... I'm going to be in for a GREAT night.

Taste: Holllyyy bourbon, Batman. This has got quite the punch to it up-front! Definitely get the alcohol screaming through in this one, but it doesn't overpower the vanilla/chocolate/coffee/oat notes that persist as I drink this baby.

Mouthfeel: Has a little bit of a lingering bitterness to it. Not an alcohol or bourbon aftertaste, but more of a coffee taste. Very viscous in the mouth, but clean as it goes down. Pretty impressive.

Overall: I'd consider getting one of these bad boys to age, but as others have noted... it's pricey ($17 for a 22oz bottle at Ray's). I may have to get it next time I run to either Woodman's or DiscLiq, since I think it's cheaper there. Definitely interested in seeing how this ages, though, and how that bourbon-forward taste evolves.

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to brewdan for this one.

First batch.

A: Pitch black with a small beige head that settles quickly and leaves small lacings.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, bourbon and oak. Hints of molasses and licorice. The smell is rich and deep. The bourbon character is subtle but more prominent than I had expected.

T: Very round, rich and full. Lots of smooth roasted malts, molasses and vanilla. Hints of chocolate and caramel. The taste is very sweet due to the massive malts and bourbon. The finish is bitter with warming bourbon flavors and some alcohol.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth.

D: Although the bourbon character was more restrained in this one compared to some of the bourbon bombs out there, I thought the bourbon aromas were surprisingly prominent in this one, yet very well integrated. All in all, it was balanced and complex and very pleasant as a sipper. I had it directly after the standard version of Boris the Crusher, and I must say the barrel aging seriously changed the character of it. Although I really enjoyed BA Boris, and was really impressed by the subtle bourbon character is showcased, I do believe I enjoyed the regular version more.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz bottle. Pours am opaque black with a small tan head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is vinous chocolate malts, dark fruits (fig), some coffee and oats and some bitter bourbon.

The flavor is sweet vinous dark fruits with some chocolate and a bitter finish. The whiskey comes out throughout - accentuating the vinous fruits and making the bitter finish a bit medicinal. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, still a nice imperial stout, but the barrel aging detracts rather than adds for me. It's a lot more alcoholic and vinous and a bit medicinal, and it loses the coffee, fudge, and oat notes that were nice in the original.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%