Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Reviews by kojevergas:
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard black pressure cap and appealing fun label acquired at a Binny's in Chicago and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its reputation and ratings, though I wasn't blown away by regular B.O.R.I.S. "Stout Aged in Whiskey Barrels." 9.4% ABV confirmed. 60 IBU.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger rich dark tan colour head of nice cream, great thickness, and pretty good (4+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black. Opaque; nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I dig the luscious head; it's quite appealing. Right on the money for the style, overall. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Whiskey is quite pungent here. Spicy hot whiskey, dark malts, cream, caramel, smooth oats, chocolate malt. The whiskey hides the oats; they were much more prominent in the non barrel aged variant. Woody barrel notes. Roast. Dark fruits - dark cherry, maybe some plum. Sweet, sticky. Vanilla. Not finding any coffee. An appealing aroma that adds a nice little something to the base beer with barrel aging. There's motivation for barrel aging here; I like it. I'm concerned about balance, but I'm looking forward to trying it. An aroma that isn't quite moderate in strength, but is well above average whilst retaining subtlety. Intriguing. I don't detect any yeast or hop character.

T: More sweet than anticipated. Not as hot as the aroma might suggest. Lots of chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, and a bit of cream round out the body. Subtle whiskey notes hang about in the background, surging through a bit more on the finish - which doesn't exactly encourage the next sip. Not as roasty as I'd like, but there is detectable roast - which is more than I can say about many inferior imperial stouts. No floral or yeast character comes through. The sweetness bothers me after a while and definitely reduces drinkability. The chocolate notes are a highlight. I want more of the starchy oats like in the regular BORIS. Dark fruits never quite hit home, instead adding unnecessary sweetness without any real vibrant flavour. It's decently balanced, but its failure to emphasize any of its notes makes it come off a bit muted - or at least timid. The whiskey aging here is well executed, but there's an intrinsic heat to the whiskey. Little oak comes through but I do get some vanilla. A dash of spiciness from the whiskey. It's a tasty little stout, and I can see why it might have been the dog's bollocks in 2008.

Mf: Smooth, wet, sticky. Rolling oats add a nice smoothness without being too slick. Good carbonation. Nicely thick. Nice creaminess; it could do with more. Good body.

Dr: Drinkable in spite of its slightly present ABV. I've certainly had higher ABV stouts that hid their alcohol better. It's a sipper, but that's to be expected. I probably wouldn't bother with it in spite of its quality simply because while it's good, it's not exceptional. And at this price point, I can definitely get an exceptional stout. I look forward to trying more beers from Hoppin' Frog, but this didn't blow me away. I wouldn't mind trying it aged. I'd like to see them amp up the roast and amp up the oats. In my opinion, the oats are what set this imperial stout apart.

High B

Gets better as it warms.

kojevergas, Apr 02, 2013
4.26/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

White top.Poured nearly jet black except for just a faint ruby tint when held right nex to the light.A dark beige that sits for quite awhile atop,it looked menacing in a good way.Aromas of drunken dark fruit,molasses,chocolate,and french roast coffee,barrel played a smaller role than expected but is there.A full chewey feel in the mouth,very nice.Chocolaty flavors and quite roasted at the onset of the palate,dark fruit and vanilla notes as well from the bourbon.This was a great night cap last night,it was rich but not over done with the barrel,it seemed even bigger than it is.

oberon, Sep 04, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into big glass.

Appearance: Dark, thick - motor oil comes to mind - liquid which leads to a deep mocha colored head that rapidly dissipates and leaves no lacing along the side of the glass. Holding this sucker up to the light, I can't tell if there are any bubbles because it's so dark.

Smell: Oh man. This reminds me a lot of BCBS at first sniff. Very bourbon-heavy, but lots of vanilla and caramel notes as well. Pretty complex nose overall. If this tastes even close to how it smells... I'm going to be in for a GREAT night.

Taste: Holllyyy bourbon, Batman. This has got quite the punch to it up-front! Definitely get the alcohol screaming through in this one, but it doesn't overpower the vanilla/chocolate/coffee/oat notes that persist as I drink this baby.

Mouthfeel: Has a little bit of a lingering bitterness to it. Not an alcohol or bourbon aftertaste, but more of a coffee taste. Very viscous in the mouth, but clean as it goes down. Pretty impressive.

Overall: I'd consider getting one of these bad boys to age, but as others have noted... it's pricey ($17 for a 22oz bottle at Ray's). I may have to get it next time I run to either Woodman's or DiscLiq, since I think it's cheaper there. Definitely interested in seeing how this ages, though, and how that bourbon-forward taste evolves.

don1481, Apr 20, 2014

DanGeo, Jun 19, 2013
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to brewdan for this one.

First batch.

A: Pitch black with a small beige head that settles quickly and leaves small lacings.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, bourbon and oak. Hints of molasses and licorice. The smell is rich and deep. The bourbon character is subtle but more prominent than I had expected.

T: Very round, rich and full. Lots of smooth roasted malts, molasses and vanilla. Hints of chocolate and caramel. The taste is very sweet due to the massive malts and bourbon. The finish is bitter with warming bourbon flavors and some alcohol.

M: Full-bodied, creamy and smooth.

D: Although the bourbon character was more restrained in this one compared to some of the bourbon bombs out there, I thought the bourbon aromas were surprisingly prominent in this one, yet very well integrated. All in all, it was balanced and complex and very pleasant as a sipper. I had it directly after the standard version of Boris the Crusher, and I must say the barrel aging seriously changed the character of it. Although I really enjoyed BA Boris, and was really impressed by the subtle bourbon character is showcased, I do believe I enjoyed the regular version more.

ricke, Aug 22, 2009

heddar33, Sep 09, 2012

warnerry, Jul 28, 2013

DWolf, Jan 15, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz bottle. Pours am opaque black with a small tan head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is vinous chocolate malts, dark fruits (fig), some coffee and oats and some bitter bourbon.

The flavor is sweet vinous dark fruits with some chocolate and a bitter finish. The whiskey comes out throughout - accentuating the vinous fruits and making the bitter finish a bit medicinal. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, still a nice imperial stout, but the barrel aging detracts rather than adds for me. It's a lot more alcoholic and vinous and a bit medicinal, and it loses the coffee, fudge, and oat notes that were nice in the original.

Beaver13, Dec 11, 2010