Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)

1.2/5  rDev -72.1%

1.83/5  rDev -57.4%

Batch#4 2010 bottle - drinking it in 2013

Looks black
(appearance means nothing to me unless it looks gross)

Aroma is somewhat boozy. Roast, light chocolate, but more booze from the bourbon than the malt. A bit thin smelling.

Flavor is a hot mess. You get hit with cheap whiskey booze followed by over-roasted, charcoaled coffee beans bitterness. Alcohol burn lingers down my throat as if I'm drinking actual whiskey. Nasty char bitterness lingers as well. No oxidation mouthfeel so this is how this beer turns out aged. Some vanilla coating the tongue but overall this beer is nasty.

I haven't had this fresh, but if there's any proof that barrel-aged beers should be drunk fresh, this beer would be it. The regular BORIS is already such a wonderful robust stout, having this aged bottle leaves the impression to me that the barrel-aging ruins an already beautiful thing.

Also, this costs $18-$20 for a bomber.

(Disclaimer: my final rating does not reflect a fresh bottle nor what I truly think of the regular BORIS)

2.1/5  rDev -51.2%

The bourbon alcohol flavors are too over-powering in this beer. I've tried at least three bourbon cask aged stouts and this is by far the worst one.

Atlanta Brewing Company created a delicious bourbon cask aged stout a couple of years ago, as a 15th anniversary celebration. Brooklyn Brewery's Black Ops, is excellent. And 5 Seasons Brewing Westside Brewpub, made an excellent one as well.

Each previous example had sophisticated accents of roasted barley, toasted caramel and light chocolate, which blended perfectly with the, just above subtle, flavors of delicious bourbon.

The BORIS, tastes like a slightly acidic stout, where someone poured and mixed bourbon, directly into the glass of beer.

If it wasn't a sin against nature, I'd dump this beer out... I can't believe this beer has an A- rating!

2.75/5  rDev -36%

I poured this stiff beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black and poured a very thin head that vaporized quickly. Most likely from the high alcohol. There was more of a chocolate hit than coffee on this one but the hoppyness was too much. I don't want a hoppy stout and the alcohol burned up any great taste left on the palate.I will not buy again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a finger of dark brown head over a thick pitch liquid. Smells clean oak wood, vanilla, bourbon, char, coffee, chocolate, toast, and mild caramel.

Tastes waxy oak with bourbon and strong vanilla. The creaminess and sweet chocolate of the regular version of this is absent, a real shame. This is an example of a good that became a lesser beer by time spent in a barrel. Coffee and very mild chocolate. Drying oak and strong bourbon finish rubs me a bit the wrong way. Thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Decent, but hard to finish my glass.

3.05/5  rDev -29.1%

3rd Batch: Green Cap

Appearance: Very viscous and dark. No head retention whatsoever. Although it has very light lacing.

Smell: Alcohol heat, Whisky, Oak, along with light notes of Dark Chocolate and Vanilla.

Taste: Huge notes of Whisky barrel, its almost overpowering. The whisky notes hide the faint echos of dark chocolate and mocha. I am unimpressed with the taste in this beer. I am not sure which barrels were used but it picked up a lot of the harshness from the barrel.

Mouthfeel: It has an amazing mouthfeel which fully coats the tongue and has a very rich thickness.

Overall: This beer was ok, I would prefer a regular BORIS and a DORIS to this one. I think if it sat on the barrels longer it would smooth out a bit better.

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

Thanks to sweemzander for busting this one out of the cellar for us to share.

Poured into my tulip the beer is pitch black with a modest mocha hued head. Tiny bits of soapy lace fight to stay on top of the beer.

The aroma is full on whiskey. It's hard to pick out the other smells with the whiskey so pronounced. After some warming i can pick out hints of chocolate and coffee. I'm not sure if it's the barrel but I'm getting a solid dose of play-doh. This totally throws me off.

The flavor is pretty much all whiskey all the time. Hints of sweet dark chocolate and roast coffee are present but they keep getting pushed aside by the damn whiskey.

Full viscous body with very light if any carbonation.

Overall this bottle has at least a year on it and yet it was hot as hell. Too much whiskey for my taste. I will have to let my bottle sit for another year or so.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

Note - trying this after Baptist which was amazing.

As a comparison, this one struggles to hide the abv and barrel ageing. Much more obvious alcohol presence making the aroma and taste sharp and less luxurious. Drying and more astringent finish.

Not bad, but you're going to want to find a few more people to share with to end up with smaller samples.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery