Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Reviews: 579 | Hads: 2,225
1.91/5  rDev -55.1%

Batch#4 2010 bottle - drinking it in 2013

Looks black
(appearance means nothing to me unless it looks gross)

Aroma is somewhat boozy. Roast, light chocolate, but more booze from the bourbon than the malt. A bit thin smelling.

Flavor is a hot mess. You get hit with cheap whiskey booze followed by over-roasted, charcoaled coffee beans bitterness. Alcohol burn lingers down my throat as if I'm drinking actual whiskey. Nasty char bitterness lingers as well. No oxidation mouthfeel so this is how this beer turns out aged. Some vanilla coating the tongue but overall this beer is nasty.

I haven't had this fresh, but if there's any proof that barrel-aged beers should be drunk fresh, this beer would be it. The regular BORIS is already such a wonderful robust stout, having this aged bottle leaves the impression to me that the barrel-aging ruins an already beautiful thing.

Also, this costs $18-$20 for a bomber.

(Disclaimer: my final rating does not reflect a fresh bottle nor what I truly think of the regular BORIS) (1,023 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -48.5%

The bourbon alcohol flavors are too over-powering in this beer. I've tried at least three bourbon cask aged stouts and this is by far the worst one.

Atlanta Brewing Company created a delicious bourbon cask aged stout a couple of years ago, as a 15th anniversary celebration. Brooklyn Brewery's Black Ops, is excellent. And 5 Seasons Brewing Westside Brewpub, made an excellent one as well.

Each previous example had sophisticated accents of roasted barley, toasted caramel and light chocolate, which blended perfectly with the, just above subtle, flavors of delicious bourbon.

The BORIS, tastes like a slightly acidic stout, where someone poured and mixed bourbon, directly into the glass of beer.

If it wasn't a sin against nature, I'd dump this beer out... I can't believe this beer has an A- rating! (806 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -28.9%

I poured this stiff beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black and poured a very thin head that vaporized quickly. Most likely from the high alcohol. There was more of a chocolate hit than coffee on this one but the hoppyness was too much. I don't want a hoppy stout and the alcohol burned up any great taste left on the palate.I will not buy again. (366 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -28.5%

3rd Batch: Green Cap

Appearance: Very viscous and dark. No head retention whatsoever. Although it has very light lacing.

Smell: Alcohol heat, Whisky, Oak, along with light notes of Dark Chocolate and Vanilla.

Taste: Huge notes of Whisky barrel, its almost overpowering. The whisky notes hide the faint echos of dark chocolate and mocha. I am unimpressed with the taste in this beer. I am not sure which barrels were used but it picked up a lot of the harshness from the barrel.

Mouthfeel: It has an amazing mouthfeel which fully coats the tongue and has a very rich thickness.

Overall: This beer was ok, I would prefer a regular BORIS and a DORIS to this one. I think if it sat on the barrels longer it would smooth out a bit better. (742 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a finger of dark brown head over a thick pitch liquid. Smells clean oak wood, vanilla, bourbon, char, coffee, chocolate, toast, and mild caramel.

Tastes waxy oak with bourbon and strong vanilla. The creaminess and sweet chocolate of the regular version of this is absent, a real shame. This is an example of a good that became a lesser beer by time spent in a barrel. Coffee and very mild chocolate. Drying oak and strong bourbon finish rubs me a bit the wrong way. Thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Decent, but hard to finish my glass. (551 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -26.8%

Thanks to sweemzander for busting this one out of the cellar for us to share.

Poured into my tulip the beer is pitch black with a modest mocha hued head. Tiny bits of soapy lace fight to stay on top of the beer.

The aroma is full on whiskey. It's hard to pick out the other smells with the whiskey so pronounced. After some warming i can pick out hints of chocolate and coffee. I'm not sure if it's the barrel but I'm getting a solid dose of play-doh. This totally throws me off.

The flavor is pretty much all whiskey all the time. Hints of sweet dark chocolate and roast coffee are present but they keep getting pushed aside by the damn whiskey.

Full viscous body with very light if any carbonation.

Overall this bottle has at least a year on it and yet it was hot as hell. Too much whiskey for my taste. I will have to let my bottle sit for another year or so. (867 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -25.2%

Note - trying this after Baptist which was amazing.

As a comparison, this one struggles to hide the abv and barrel ageing. Much more obvious alcohol presence making the aroma and taste sharp and less luxurious. Drying and more astringent finish.

Not bad, but you're going to want to find a few more people to share with to end up with smaller samples. (353 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottle purchased in 01/2010. Split with angrybabboon.

Appearance: Pours near black. Heavy. Minimal dark khaki head. No lacing. No carbonation. Still.

Smell: Vanilla, oak, toffee, and whiskey. Lingering boozy sweetness. Malts are deeply roasted. Lots of chocolate and old coffee. Sweet roasted malts. Whiskey adds a nice balance to some of the rougher edges I expect from BORIS. Mild smokiness in the back. Overall on the sweet side.

Taste: Roasted malts. Deep sweetness. Whiskey pushes some vanilla but loads of toffee. Slight acrid age. Minor smokiness. Age has mellowed everything out. Whiskey dominates some of the mellowed parts of the beer. Light caramel sweetness with some old coffee. Some char.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly smooth. Barrel aging has dropped the carbonation to almost nothing. Body is medium, but feels a little thin from the barrel.

Overall: Better than the standard.

A notch up from standard BORIS thanks to the vanilla, oak, and toffee from the whiskey barrels. Other than that, it feels like the same beer. Nice use of whiskey barrels. (1,061 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.2%

Chilled bomber into a glass. I can't for the life of me remember who sent this. Whoever you are, please BM me so I can give you credit. I should track my trades better. What I do remember is that it cost about $17 in trade (shows you where my priorities are, heh).

Anyway, I appreciate having the chance to try this.

A: Pours an opaque black body with a short-lived mocha head. The bubbles vanish into nothing; the beer looks completely still and leaves no lacing down the sides.

S: Lots. Of. Whiskey. I'm one of those guys that likes a little more balance; the base beer should hold up well against the barrel. It smells like the barrel won, here. I still get the base beer, with a rummy sweetness, chocolate, roasted malt, and molasses.

T: See above. Whiskey starts the taste, and it nearly pushes the beer into being over-sweet; with the molasses, chocolate, vanilla, and some raisins, I'm a little taken aback with how saccharine it is. The finish tips it slightly toward balance by bringing in some oaky astringency and coffee, but it's fighting a losing slide into sweetness. Which is what you'd expect from the style, admittedly -- but it doesn't stand far above the middle.

M: Very smooth and creamy, and I'm reminded that this is the oatmeal contribution. Low-carbed, but it goes down with a velvety presence. A small booziness. Quite nice.

D: Independent of price, this isn't in the upper-tier of barrel-aged imperial stouts. At $17 a pop I'm just going to ignore it. (1,489 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -22.6%

Batch2. Thanks to my bud Alex (Rhinos00) for hooking me up! This sample however was a casualty in shipping. The cap was loose and 1/3 leaked out so I cracked it the same night I received it.

Poured into my duckrabbit snifter. Beer looks very black and dead flat. The cap could have leaked all the carbonation. A few bubbles are on the rim, but it was wishful thinking that they equaled carbonation.

Smell is bourbon, but not overpowering, lots of vanilla, chocolate, clove and almost a cinnamon note. Fantastic!

Beer is flat thanks to the leak. Some prickles are felt when I swirl the beer in my mouth. Finish is roasty, chocolately, and dark fruits are mingled in. I like the sweetness from the bourbon and vanilla. The stout is not dry, so the palette stays refreshed, but the flatness gets to you.

Points come off for mouthfeel (flat) and drinkability (flat). Its a good thing I have more. (896 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a darkness sniffer. Shared with schen9303.

A: Pours a viscous one bubble layer of light mocha head with poor retention. Beer is a dark opaque black. Lacing is spotty and with little retention but outstanding legs.

S: Nose is predominantly boozy, chocolate, cocoa, liquified purple fruit and sweet soy sauce. Aromatic and appropriate overall, but a bit overly aggressive alcohol.

T: Opens fudge brownie, chocolate. Sweet soy sauce and cocoa and dar fruit toward the middle. Sharp alcohol at the back makes the barrel aging apparent. Finishes more sweet dark fruit with a slightly grainy cocoa aftertaste.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. It's oily and silkly in the mouth but with rough edges. Goes down with a bit of heat. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste.

D: Not nealy as good as the regular version. A heavy beer like this doesn't need any barrel aging in my opinion. A bit aggressive on all fronts. Not gonna revisit this one but it makes a mean cupcake!! (1,018 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a Surly Darkness tulip.

Batch 4 - Black Cap (2010 vintage).

A - Pours a thick, midnight with no sense of coloring at all to be seen either at the bottom of the glass or around the edges. Completely pitch black; I was at Lake Chautauqua, which is fairly remote, for the 4th of July this year, and this beer encompasses the color of the sky there around midnight. Even after a relatively hard pour, there is only about half a finger's worth of dark brown head, the only shred of hue to be seen from this liquid. Retention is fairly low, and when it's gone it leaves most of the lace behind it. The lace is few and far between, only covering sparse edge of the glass.

S - The smell of this beer instantly reminds me of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, only much more hot. It brings the rich chocolate smell that borders of decadence and fudge. This beer is a two-faced monster, first bringing a truckload of malts, which are all incredibly smooth and rich, but then there's a huge rush of bourbon. It's interesting and somewhat exciting at first, but as I drink on, it continuously brings me down with how disjointed it seems. Too much whiskey in the nose is it's main detraction.

T - I take my first sip and I am disappointed. Not that this beer is bad, not by any stretch, but it has the potential to be great, even world-class, if it weren't for the offensive alcohol punch that it brings. The beer seems to turn the roast and anise that is in the original and transforms it into a smooth, rich, chocolate goodness that is extremely tasty. Even the dark fruits return and integrate nicely with the bourbon. However, the bourbon does not integrate itself nicely with the other flavors in this beer. I'm not sure if Hoppin' Frog uses the sub-title 'the Crusher' to describe the alcohol heat in BA B.O.R.I.S. (yes, I know it's in the original as well), but it'd be incredibly apt. Control the heat, and Hoppin' Frog has a champ, but as it stands now, this only has potential, but in execution it is distracting, which is a damn shame.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with good carbonation. This beer feels pretty good on the palate, thick without being overly syrupy, and ample carbonation to deliver all the nuances of the flavors. Much like the nose and taste, however, the alcohol stamps out much of the enjoyment as it lingers for minutes after done drinking.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. Despite the alcohol, I still finished this bottle and enjoyed it (but I have a high tolerance for liquor), but I would enjoy this beer leagues more if it had a bit more moderation. The components are all there for BA B.O.R.I.S. to excel, all it needs is to keep it's alcohol in check. Scope this out if you can, but I can imagine the price and alcohol keeping me from seeking this out again, at least a newer bottle. (2,852 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -21.9%

I was really excited to try this, and while it wasn't bad, it didn't really come close to meeting my high expectations. Compared to some of the other highly rated RIS's out there, I didn't really feel it stacked up all that well. It is very black and syrupy, but the aroma and flavor didn't deliver nearly as much flavor as I expected. This beer is nowhere as roasty as a Speedway Stout, and isn't 1/10th as bourbon-y as say a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Aroma was quite faint, and mouthfeel was frankly quite thin, particularly for a beer that looked a little syrupy coming out of the bottle. Flavor was pretty good, but fainter than I thought it would be - roasty, bourbon-y, some dried fruit notes (and quite a bit of booziness), but not to the degree of intensity that they hype surrounding this beer would lead me to believe.

This wasn't a bad beer by any stretch, but it didn't really meet my expectations. Of those RIS's that are big, expensive, and somewhat hard to get, I think this one is a bit over-hyped. Like I said, not bad, but definitely not belonging in the elite category or beers of this style. (1,112 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -21.6%

I remember a time (not so long ago), when this one was considered a light light whale in my immediate area. I can now walk into my local Total Wine and grab this one!

A: Dark as hell, with a very mild peppery beige head that died down almost as fast as I could pour it.

S: Not as strong as I though it was going to be. Buttery, mild puff of whisky and a bit of dark chocolate wrapped up in the Kentucky delight.

T: Okay: VERY bitter on the finish! I mean.... it was way too much for my taste. The whisky buried all of the elements that made the standard version a treat: coffee, dark malt, roastiness, etc. What I got in the end had sort a banana-like quality about it.

M: Also, the whisky tasted of the low-grade variety to me. The carbonation was low and the lacing was non-existent.

O: I'm a huge fan of the standard B.O.R.I.S., but I thought this one was a misfire. I won't spend $15-20 on this one again. (915 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -20%

Green cap. Pours black with a small tan head, carbonation crackles and dissipates the head in a quick fashion. Smells of bourbon and toffee, a little bit of vinous notes. Taste is smooth bourbon, vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel is a bit thin which amplifies the bourbon flavors. High carbonation, lil bit of alcohol burn. Not a too smooth a sipper, but I'll drink it, I will! (384 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -18.1%

Pretty similar to the regular offering, plus bourbon, oak and vanilla. Pours a thick black color with a smallish dark brown head. Aromas of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate covered espresso beans. On the palate, a little thinner than the regular version, with a good amount of bourbon/oak flavor. Good, but nothing remarkable. (331 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle opened for Game 1 of the Bruins playoffs. Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass and sipped throughout the game. Batch 5, Red Cap.

Appearance: Dark brown to black in color. Not much head on the pour and no retention.

Aroma: Really deep roasted notes, a touch of whiskey, espresso, and dark cherries. The char and roasted malt notes are almost too overpowering. I was expecting a lot higher level of sweetness.

Taste: The burnt, roasted character is definitely strong here too. I am finding it a bit too bitter to really enjoy. Whiskey notes are definitely present, but really light. And there is the cherry note again. It's actually really heavy and functions as the only really sweeet counterpoint to the char. It doesn't mix great with the rest of the notes though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch chewy. A bit thiner than I would like from a barrel aged stout.

Overall, an interesting barrel aged stout, but fell way short of my expectations. The price tag didn't help either. The cherry note just didn't match eerything else for me and the smoke and roasted malt notes were bitter and unpleasant at times. Not a bad beer, but definitely on the lower end of the spectrum for the style (barrel aged stout) and way too pricey. Will not buy again. (1,291 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Black with ruby highlights. I always think these oatmeal beers look oatmeal-y (I look for chunks every time), but I doubt they really do. Decent cappuccino head.

Smell: Big roast malt, caramelized/burnt sugar, cocoa, vanilla, fudge coffee.

Taste: Molasses, roast malt, chocolate, fudge, espresso, vanilla, coconut. Not nearly enough bourbon. A few plums and dark berries as well.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and thick.

Drinkability: Average for the style. I was not particularly impressed by this one. (506 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours jet black with not much light getting through; small mocha head that fades and leaves solid retention and not much lacing. The aromas are loaded with roasted cocoa malts. Lots of chocolate syrup. Hints of oak and whiskey, but it's not too dominant. The flavors are extremely bitter. Very roasty. Hints of black coffee. Lots of dark chocolate. A little vanilla. Not too sweet. Lots of wood/oak. The whiskey is pretty subtle and is basically just an accent and not the star. Subtle wamth. Finishes pretty dry. Mouthfeel is full-bodied, but not super thick. There's active carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden and it's not boozy. There's just a subtle kiss of warmth. This is a nice beer to sip on.

I'm not sure when this was bottled. This has always been a favorite and it's good stuff, but this wasn't the best I've had from them. The craftsmanship is there, but I guess I'm just a fan of the regular B.O.R.I.S. much more. (965 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 5 - red cap. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours black as night with a half finger dark brown head. The head can most likely be attributed to a stronger pour as it fades out immediately. A slight ring of foam settles around the glass but it also doesn't last long.

The nose isn't all that strong, but it's certainly not weak either. Some nice roasted notes are prominent, along with some oak. There is a nice roasted aroma followed quickly by some wood/oak character. There is a decent amount of some chocolate along with a subdued whiskey character that makes itself known yet stays in the background at the same time.

The taste follows along with the nose. The chocolate notes are more prominent than in the nose. There is also some earthiness to go with the roasted flavors. There is some char and wood characteristics that seem to impart some bitterness. As with the nose, the whiskey is subtle and seems to ride underneath all the other flavors.

The body is on the lower end of full with low carbonation. It's a bit thinner than expected for a barrel aged stout.

This is a good beer, but it's just ok as far as barrel aged stouts go. The flavors and aromas are solid but they don't stand out as anything really special. The whiskey is in the background and it really doesn't draw anything out of the existing characteristics. As mentioned, it is a good beer, just not a stand out. (1,406 characters)

Silver capped bomber.

A: Pours a jet black with a nice one finger mocha head. Bubbly in nature and lingers for a little bit. Fades to a nice combination of swirls and a solid ring.

S: Solid baker's chocolate with a small dash of whiskey and a the barrel is present as well. Slightly woody with a little bit of sweetness.

T: The taste is the same as the nose with a little more pronounced whiskey flavoring. There is a solid roasted malt quality with a little oatmeal flavor. Sweet chocolate as well.

M: Decent carbonation with a barrel character left across the palate. Does have an above normal dry finish to it.

O: This was a solid offering, although I like BORIS Royale more. The barrel character and whiskey presence were nice, but I wish the other characters shined a little more. (790 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gold Cap. Poured into snifter. Oh so black with a tight tan head. Head disappears fast and leaves minimal lacing. Looks good.

Big bourbon jumps out of the glass. it the background there's brownie mixed with some dark fruit. Smells a lot different then regular Boris.

Taste is bourbon heat with burnt chocolate and some oak. As it warms it never changed much. Sort of one dimensional. I like it but 22oz is rough.

Mouthfeel is okay. Barrel aging seems to have stolen some of the thickness I love in regular Boris.

Overall an enjoyable BA stout. A bit pricey here in CO so I might not get this again. (603 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -16.7%

Gold cap.

A: Pours deep dark brown/almost black with just a hint of brown lacing.

S: Small amounts of cocoa, whiakey and roasted malt.

T: Initial sweet whiskey followed by bitter coffee and bitter cocoa. Rather boozy. Finish is bitter coffee and maybe some hop bitterness as well. Late finish is some oak and earth.

M: Thick body with below average carbonation. A tad chalky.

O: I prefer bourbon over whiskey. A little to harsh for me. (441 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

Gold cap version.

A: Pitch black pour with a really dark brown head. I only wish the head stuck around longer. A very thin ring remains after a few minutes.

S: A pretty sweet smell overall. Bourbon and whiskey mixed in with chocolate. Smells like a heavy beer for sure. Perhaps some vanilla and definitely some alcohol underneath.

T: My very first reaction from the taste is: Wow this is hot right now, needs some time. The chocolate comes out first and is obliterated by huge hits of bourbon, oak, vanilla, and a ton of booze. The finish is dark chocolate mixed with booze that last well into the next sip.

MF: Heavy body and a nice amount of carbonation. The drinkability, however, isn't terribly high. Sweet and hot, not a great combination.

O: Disappointed here. Would love to have one with a year or so on it, have to head back to the store! (851 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bottle poured into snifter - thanks Mark000

Pours a viscous, motor oil blackness with a little crop of brownie-colored dark head. Bubbly collar of film sticks to the edges of the glass, leaving a few spots of lacing on the glass.

Splash of warm bourbon and vanilla in the nose with notes of cocoa and dark chocolate. Light hop presence with thick, robust dark malts and toasted oak. Rich and warm throughout.

Chocolate swirled bourbon with hints of vanilla and oaky tannins. Darkly sweet with nuttiness and layers of roasted malts. A few touches of dark fruit with raisin, followed by toasted oats and boozy warmth.

Full bodied, milder carbonation, creamy and heavy on the tongue. Definitely a rich, chocolately barrel aged stout, although it doesn't quite pack the punch or vibrant attributes as others of it's kind. (829 characters)

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery