Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Thecasehead

04-28-2014 03:11:29 | More by Thecasehead
carps12

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Batch2. Thanks to my bud Alex (Rhinos00) for hooking me up! This sample however was a casualty in shipping. The cap was loose and 1/3 leaked out so I cracked it the same night I received it.

Poured into my duckrabbit snifter. Beer looks very black and dead flat. The cap could have leaked all the carbonation. A few bubbles are on the rim, but it was wishful thinking that they equaled carbonation.

Smell is bourbon, but not overpowering, lots of vanilla, chocolate, clove and almost a cinnamon note. Fantastic!

Beer is flat thanks to the leak. Some prickles are felt when I swirl the beer in my mouth. Finish is roasty, chocolately, and dark fruits are mingled in. I like the sweetness from the bourbon and vanilla. The stout is not dry, so the palette stays refreshed, but the flatness gets to you.

Points come off for mouthfeel (flat) and drinkability (flat). Its a good thing I have more.

07-16-2009 03:07:29 | More by carps12
nhindian

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a Surly Darkness tulip.

Batch 4 - Black Cap (2010 vintage).

A - Pours a thick, midnight with no sense of coloring at all to be seen either at the bottom of the glass or around the edges. Completely pitch black; I was at Lake Chautauqua, which is fairly remote, for the 4th of July this year, and this beer encompasses the color of the sky there around midnight. Even after a relatively hard pour, there is only about half a finger's worth of dark brown head, the only shred of hue to be seen from this liquid. Retention is fairly low, and when it's gone it leaves most of the lace behind it. The lace is few and far between, only covering sparse edge of the glass.

S - The smell of this beer instantly reminds me of Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout, only much more hot. It brings the rich chocolate smell that borders of decadence and fudge. This beer is a two-faced monster, first bringing a truckload of malts, which are all incredibly smooth and rich, but then there's a huge rush of bourbon. It's interesting and somewhat exciting at first, but as I drink on, it continuously brings me down with how disjointed it seems. Too much whiskey in the nose is it's main detraction.

T - I take my first sip and I am disappointed. Not that this beer is bad, not by any stretch, but it has the potential to be great, even world-class, if it weren't for the offensive alcohol punch that it brings. The beer seems to turn the roast and anise that is in the original and transforms it into a smooth, rich, chocolate goodness that is extremely tasty. Even the dark fruits return and integrate nicely with the bourbon. However, the bourbon does not integrate itself nicely with the other flavors in this beer. I'm not sure if Hoppin' Frog uses the sub-title 'the Crusher' to describe the alcohol heat in BA B.O.R.I.S. (yes, I know it's in the original as well), but it'd be incredibly apt. Control the heat, and Hoppin' Frog has a champ, but as it stands now, this only has potential, but in execution it is distracting, which is a damn shame.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately heavy-bodied with good carbonation. This beer feels pretty good on the palate, thick without being overly syrupy, and ample carbonation to deliver all the nuances of the flavors. Much like the nose and taste, however, the alcohol stamps out much of the enjoyment as it lingers for minutes after done drinking.

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. Despite the alcohol, I still finished this bottle and enjoyed it (but I have a high tolerance for liquor), but I would enjoy this beer leagues more if it had a bit more moderation. The components are all there for BA B.O.R.I.S. to excel, all it needs is to keep it's alcohol in check. Scope this out if you can, but I can imagine the price and alcohol keeping me from seeking this out again, at least a newer bottle.

07-07-2011 05:54:58 | More by nhindian
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

I remember a time (not so long ago), when this one was considered a light light whale in my immediate area. I can now walk into my local Total Wine and grab this one!

A: Dark as hell, with a very mild peppery beige head that died down almost as fast as I could pour it.

S: Not as strong as I though it was going to be. Buttery, mild puff of whisky and a bit of dark chocolate wrapped up in the Kentucky delight.

T: Okay: VERY bitter on the finish! I mean.... it was way too much for my taste. The whisky buried all of the elements that made the standard version a treat: coffee, dark malt, roastiness, etc. What I got in the end had sort a banana-like quality about it.

M: Also, the whisky tasted of the low-grade variety to me. The carbonation was low and the lacing was non-existent.

O: I'm a huge fan of the standard B.O.R.I.S., but I thought this one was a misfire. I won't spend $15-20 on this one again.

05-23-2011 23:21:28 | More by Chaney
SpeedwayJim

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a darkness sniffer. Shared with schen9303.

A: Pours a viscous one bubble layer of light mocha head with poor retention. Beer is a dark opaque black. Lacing is spotty and with little retention but outstanding legs.

S: Nose is predominantly boozy, chocolate, cocoa, liquified purple fruit and sweet soy sauce. Aromatic and appropriate overall, but a bit overly aggressive alcohol.

T: Opens fudge brownie, chocolate. Sweet soy sauce and cocoa and dar fruit toward the middle. Sharp alcohol at the back makes the barrel aging apparent. Finishes more sweet dark fruit with a slightly grainy cocoa aftertaste.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. It's oily and silkly in the mouth but with rough edges. Goes down with a bit of heat. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste.

D: Not nealy as good as the regular version. A heavy beer like this doesn't need any barrel aging in my opinion. A bit aggressive on all fronts. Not gonna revisit this one but it makes a mean cupcake!!

01-16-2011 20:43:50 | More by SpeedwayJim
BeerBelcher

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

I was really excited to try this, and while it wasn't bad, it didn't really come close to meeting my high expectations. Compared to some of the other highly rated RIS's out there, I didn't really feel it stacked up all that well. It is very black and syrupy, but the aroma and flavor didn't deliver nearly as much flavor as I expected. This beer is nowhere as roasty as a Speedway Stout, and isn't 1/10th as bourbon-y as say a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Aroma was quite faint, and mouthfeel was frankly quite thin, particularly for a beer that looked a little syrupy coming out of the bottle. Flavor was pretty good, but fainter than I thought it would be - roasty, bourbon-y, some dried fruit notes (and quite a bit of booziness), but not to the degree of intensity that they hype surrounding this beer would lead me to believe.

This wasn't a bad beer by any stretch, but it didn't really meet my expectations. Of those RIS's that are big, expensive, and somewhat hard to get, I think this one is a bit over-hyped. Like I said, not bad, but definitely not belonging in the elite category or beers of this style.

09-18-2009 20:47:42 | More by BeerBelcher
youradhere

Arkansas

3.35/5  rDev -22.1%

Green cap. Pours black with a small tan head, carbonation crackles and dissipates the head in a quick fashion. Smells of bourbon and toffee, a little bit of vinous notes. Taste is smooth bourbon, vanilla, chocolate and coffee. Mouthfeel is a bit thin which amplifies the bourbon flavors. High carbonation, lil bit of alcohol burn. Not a too smooth a sipper, but I'll drink it, I will!

03-19-2011 04:20:59 | More by youradhere
emmasdad

Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

Pretty similar to the regular offering, plus bourbon, oak and vanilla. Pours a thick black color with a smallish dark brown head. Aromas of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate covered espresso beans. On the palate, a little thinner than the regular version, with a good amount of bourbon/oak flavor. Good, but nothing remarkable.

09-30-2010 22:09:00 | More by emmasdad

04-02-2013 08:42:29 | More by beercanman
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber bottle opened for Game 1 of the Bruins playoffs. Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass and sipped throughout the game. Batch 5, Red Cap.

Appearance: Dark brown to black in color. Not much head on the pour and no retention.

Aroma: Really deep roasted notes, a touch of whiskey, espresso, and dark cherries. The char and roasted malt notes are almost too overpowering. I was expecting a lot higher level of sweetness.

Taste: The burnt, roasted character is definitely strong here too. I am finding it a bit too bitter to really enjoy. Whiskey notes are definitely present, but really light. And there is the cherry note again. It's actually really heavy and functions as the only really sweeet counterpoint to the char. It doesn't mix great with the rest of the notes though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a touch chewy. A bit thiner than I would like from a barrel aged stout.

Overall, an interesting barrel aged stout, but fell way short of my expectations. The price tag didn't help either. The cherry note just didn't match eerything else for me and the smoke and roasted malt notes were bitter and unpleasant at times. Not a bad beer, but definitely on the lower end of the spectrum for the style (barrel aged stout) and way too pricey. Will not buy again.

04-15-2011 14:05:35 | More by Gosox8787