Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

A: Pitch black body with a thin tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves next to no lacing.

S: Chocolate, alcohol, and I think cinnamon. Alcohol becomes more prevalent as it warms up.

T: Intensely sweet and alcoholic, kind of like a chocolate liqueur. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, cinnamon, and spices. Also plenty of alcohol burn. Aftertaste is somewhat fruity.

M: Thick and sludgy, just the way a big stout should be.

D: Regular BORIS is one of my favorite imperial stouts, so I was eager to give this a try. Unfortunately, I think that the barrel aging not only doesn't improve upon the core product, it actually detracts from it. This may not be the case after it's had some time to age and come together. But for the time being, I prefer the original.

BarrelO, Apr 08, 2011

Gold cap 22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A-Pours black, no light showing through. A vigorous pour produces a half a finger of coffee colored head that fades fast.

S-Whiskey hits the nose first. Some roasty malt/oats come in along with some vanilla and oak. Hints of coffee and chocolate show up as well.

T-Whiskey is noticeable but not overwhelming. Bakers chocolate, roasted malt/oats, hints of coffee, vanilla, dark fruit.

M-I can't say this is full bodied, but it's almost there. Carb level is relatively low which is fitting of this beer. It is creamy and coating.

O-I enjoyed this one but it didn't blow my mind or anything. It's a good beer, but I don't think it stands up to the better bal-aged stouts out there.

Once again I wish there was a " value" category. This was a good beer, but not worth $16 a bottle. Glad I tried it, but I wouldn't buy it again at that cost. If this was a $7 bomber I'd pick it up again.

Lerxst, Dec 18, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

2009 batch 3 version (thanks to jwjon1 for sending this one), poured into a Saint Arnold’s sniffer, we did a side by side comparison with the Crusher version.

Appearance: Black with a thick mocha head about a finger thick, which quickly receded into a thin ring around the side of the glass.

Aroma: Coffee, chocolate, roasted grain, vanilla, and bourbon. I preferred the aroma in this version much more. The bourbon barrel aging added the extra complexity that the other version was missing.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and alcohol. The flavors were kind of messy and a little bland, this might have been due to the aging.

Mouthfeel: Lighter body and mouth feel then its non-BA brother with medium carbonation.

Overall: I preferred the non-BA version to the BA version. The enjoyed the aroma of the BA version more but the flavor and the mouthfeel of the non-BA version was better in my opinion.

jamescain, Jun 02, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Although there has been a heat wave around these parts for the last three weeks or so, for some reason a big stout was what I was in the mood for tonight. Barrel Aged Boris pours out a pitch black color, with some brown/red hues at the bottom, and just barely one finger of brown heading that fades away quickly. Prunes and dark chocolate become apparent early on in the nose, followed by some dark fruit and whiskey. Fudge comes to mind immediately upon sipping, with lots of jammy fruit, and the whiskey ending things on a somewhat bitter, boozy note. No doubt that this is a really big, rich beer that seems to only become more so as it warms to room temperature. The last time I tried this beer, which was probably a year or so ago, it was really hot, and although things have calmed down a bit with the alcohol, it is still one where the whiskey and heat are part of the overall picture. This one works perfectly as a sipper. Overall the barrel aging adds a nice component here, though the non barreled version is nothing to turn your nose to. If anything the whiskey barrels steal the show here whereas the oatmeal is more center stage with the original. Cheers

jamie2dope, Aug 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A: dark, dark black with an incrediblly brown/tan head. It doesn't last long, but a nice swirl of the glass agitates it up nicely.

S: Dark fruits, molasses, booze

T: Some dark fruits, some subtle tropical flavors, roasted barley, and lots of booze. Excellent.

M: Very smooth, creamy, viscous and oily. Coats the throat with ease. Very nice.

O: Very nice. Despite the high alcohol, this drinks very easily and feels great going down. Excellent!

julian, Mar 27, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured into a tulip which briefly yielded a 1 finger head. Minimal lacing with light penetrating the corners of the glass.
Dark fruit dominates the aroma with lots of berry specifically blueberry and black berry. Alcohol but not necessarily whiskey.
Taste is composed of dark berries, coffee, some alcohol and a subtle molasses finish.
A good mouthfeel with a full body.
This is a good beer I was happy to have but will not be dishing out 20 dollars for it again.

alovesupreme, Aug 11, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz bomber split between two Libby porter/stout glasses. No date on the bottle but I know it was from this year. Gold cap.

Appearance: Pitch black with the barest amount of tan head. Some small amount of lacing at the edges at first but eventually even this was gone.

Smell: Whiskey (bourbon) dominates, but there is a hint of dark bittersweet chocolate and coffee underneath.

Taste: Bourbon up front moving quickly into a strong bittersweet chocolate flavor and espresso coffee bitter finish. Alcohol heat more noticeable when the beer is cold and it subsides a bit as the beer warms up to room temperature, but it's still a pretty hot beer. Very much like a blend of a chocolate espresso liquor and a shot of whiskey and less like a stout. Very tasty, but I think the beer got lost in all of this.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, light carbonation. Definite alcohol bite from the whiskey noted.

Overall / Drinkability: To quote the Dave Chappelle show and Samuel Jackson beer, "It'll get ya drunk!". Very powerful beer - it is far more like a chocolate liquor with a whiskey shot than a RIS in a bourbon barrel. But maybe that's the point of this beer. I think though that this beer is way too extreme and not enough beer - that the stout got lost in it all. I like it, and I enjoyed it, but it's not a great RIS. Mouthfeel is impressive (oatmeal does it's job here) and the smell and taste are good, but it's still more like a mixed drink and less like a beer. So I'm giving it a 4.0 for being good, but I cannot see myself buying this again. If I want a Russian Imperial Stout I think I want something where the beer comes out more. This unfortunately, has moved too far into the realm of very tasty malt beverage/dessert and so I cannot rate it higher. Again, good, but not a great Russian imperial stout.

damndirtyape, Aug 24, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to Jcb890 for hooking this up in a trade.

A: Pours a viscous pitch black with a scant layer of mocha colored foam that quickly settles into a ring of lacing.

S: Very well integrated aroma for a barrel aged stout - moderate whiskey character with a little bit more charred oak than usual, along with vanilla, dark chocolate, strong dark fruit notes - dark cherries, plums, and figs - along with some caramel and a bit of bitter coffee.

T: Starts out fairly subdued with some dark malts and oat character, before whiskey notes pop up in the mid-palate with some light booze and vanilla. Semi-sweet chocolate and light coffee come in late, leading to a sweet, lightly oaked chocolate finish.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation, feels a little too thin and slick.

D: Booze is kept in check well, and the aromas and flavors are well integrated - very drinkable for a barrel aged stout.

Xul, Aug 07, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Silver cap.

Poured into a tulip pint: Buh-lack. A finger of mocha head with a little pink tingue with drops to a medium collar & just a wisp across the surface.

Smell is capital-N-Nice! Roasty & chocolatey tones, not too thick, but backed by an oak & alcohol character that carries with it some dark fruits - plum & a little raisin. Very good, not quite as rich as some I've had, but damn good nonetheless.

Whoa - great taste. A little coffee roastness, some dark chocolate, a kind of milky vanilla. The fruits are not nearly as present as they were in the smell, but they're there. There's that pinch of alcohol & woody, banana-ish oak flavor. Very well-rounded & balanced, smooth.

Mouthfeel is great - silky smooth, almost a cask-like feel. Just a little prick of booze in the finish, but otherwise so easy.

Bold flavor that's not overwhelming, doesn't tip in any direction too drastically. This is good stuff. The alcohol's pleasantly present but not too powerful or hot. I gotta say, for it's strength, this is one easy drinker.

EDIT: Booze started out fairly subtle, but has really grown in strength with some warming, making this a little more formidable than previously felt. Still some great flavors, but knocks down the overall & taste a little.

OneDropSoup, Mar 26, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz. bottle split and poured into a snifter. No bottled date found.

(A)- Pours a pitch black color that produced a tan head that dissipated quickly to bubbles.

(S)- A dark roasted profile with molasses and cocoa with a hint of peanuts.

(T)- A good roastedness with molasses, cocoa, raisin, and a light nuttiness from the oats probably. Has a light warmth as it goes down.

(M)- A good carbonation level with a good balance to it. Smooth, yet has a good roasted profile. Has a slight warmth as it goes down from the whiskey barrel aging no doubt.

(D)- A good stout. Smooth, with the right flavors going on. For the $$ of what I paid for this however, I would much rather reach for something else instead; definitely not worth the hefty $17 price tag. Enjoyable though.

sweemzander, Jun 14, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I am a big fan of bourbon barrel stouts and this one is very good. Pours a small head, has a good bourbon aroma and is tasty. Back to back with Founders Backwoods Bastard I am inclined to say I like the Founders better but I am comparing different styles. This beer is worth the cash ( $15.00) and a must try for barrel aged beer lovers.

Bottom Line: You like barrel aged bourbon? well look here it's worth a try!

themind, Dec 09, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I aged this is my "cellar" for a little while. My "cellar" is my closet, but it does its job. Poured an almost deep black into a tulip glass with an orange-brown hued head which disappears as fast as it forms. Barely any lacing.

The smell is the best part of this beer. It's all over the map with hints of chocolate covered cat urine [it's a good hoppy thing], red wine, molasses, and, of course, fine whiskey.

Sweet cherries is the first thing I find myself tasting. It works great because that is what makes a nice Manhattan. Some sweet dark fruits with a nice oak character. Bitter oats and a slight hop bite follow, balancing this Imperial Stout nicely.

The bit of carbonation tickles the tongue just enough. While the alcohol is present it doesn't overpower, making this a scary beer because I probably could drink a couple just before I hit the floor. Chewy coffee doesn't kick in until just past room temperature, but it is welcome and satisfying.

Overall, it is smooth and toasty and I have to admit that while I have never had the regular B.O.R.I.S, I might not want to.

ManVersusBeer, Jan 30, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

bottle to HFS sniffer

A: black as night total opaque heavy Mocha head that fades quick super dark chocolate

S: a little boozy upfront I can smell the oats and the malt in there too but is slightly off putting

T:follows the nose with a little bit of alc upfront but it does fade quickly into a creamy oatmeal like flavor that goes to a bitter malt finish and you can taste the alc again a little but not horrible

M: thick but oily texture that has a creamy consistency were the carbonation is mixed in perfectly

O: really solid oatmeal imperial stout but the alc and bitterness of the hops kinda ruined it for me especially when paired with a weak smell but I liked the look and mouthfeel so though its not my favorite I still recommend it curious as to taste after some aging.

Pinknuggets, Nov 13, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A: Super dark brown to black with dark tan head, though very weak and lasting only seconds after pour.

S: Def has much more malt aroma than hop, oak comes through with a tad of whiskey, prevalent ethanol, but not overwhelming. Roast and hop aroma very subdued.

T: Wow, perfect hop balance with the malt. Hop is there, but not taking over. Def more malt, oak and ethanol - which is most likely a combination of the near 10%abv, and whiskey aging.

M: Though the head is weak, the carbonation is certainly present and right on. I would expect a slightly heavier mouth feel from a oatmeal stout, but it still works for this beer. Doesn't linger too long on the palate and is far from cloying due to the superb hop/malt balance.

O: Buy this beer when available, it's worth checking out. Just wish the head was more retentive. This was a young beer, and would be excellent after a few years of aging.

brewtechnik, Oct 07, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Green cap says this is Batch 3.

A-Black, deep black with a foamy mocha head that dissipates quickly to a nice ring. No lacing.

S-Boozy with lots of brown sugar, marshmallow, vanilla and subdued bourbon.

T-Rich flavors, well restrained alcohol. Lots of vanilla, some oak, some sweet chocolate.

M-Medium heavy, not overwhelming for the style.

O-Very tasty, rich but not overpowering. Delicious.

HV

sholland119, Dec 30, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I have rhinos00 over on BA to thank for this bottle. He hooked me up with this one in the Gentleman's Club BIF. This bottle has at least a year on it I belive. Served up in a tulip. Get on it.

A: Looks just like the regular BORIS. It has that shiny, inky black body that has some gloss to it. Its dark and not letting any light through whatsoever. Moving it around in the glass, you get that light yellow film being left on the glass. The beer appears to be thick and creamy. But yet again, there is pretty much zero head. There was a little bit of brown bubbles that came up, but they were minimal and disappeared quickly. No lace whatsoever. Has that somewhat boring look that the original had.

S: This shines here in the nose. First things first. The whiskey and wood really come out. This is nice and boozy with a good amount of vanilla wood notes. The best part is that it doesn't cover up the original BORIS aroma. Getting all of that hearty, earthy oatmeal that is nice and lightly sweet. Behind that you get the bitter chocolate presence, that is semi sweet and nicely bitter. This is great.

T: Hmmm. I will start off by saying this is good . . . probably a little better than good. BUT . . . the booze really overpowers this beer. The flavor profile is almost all boozy whiskey notes and vanilla. It kinda feels like a completely different beer without the BORIS base. I mean I am not getting any of the Oatmeal really at all that I got in the original. That was the best part for me. I am getting some chocolate notes along with some dark fruit (maybe plum, cherries and fig). With all that said, I still really like it but its a bit disappointing in some flavor arenas.

M: Coming across big and creamy like the OG BORIS. Has that nice weight to it that coats just enough, allowing flavors to linger and let you fully understand them. Getting a little more heat on the palate and throat than I remember from the original, but that may be my imagination stemming from the booze flavors. Aftertaste is all woody vanilla notes and booze.

D: This was interesting. Its really good but I feel a little let down. The best thing for me about the original BORIS was that huge oatmeal presence and this really doesn't have that at all in the flavor. The booze and whiskey notes really took over and completely changed the beer. Original BORIS became a standard for me, and I feel if you are going to screw with something, you need to make it better. And I truly can't tell you if it has become better and I fear it hasn't. Its good. Its quality, but it isn't blowing me away or making feel it improved BORIS. Ah well. Its still good and drinking well.

Serving Type: 22oz Bottle Vessel Type: Tulip Price:NA

everetends, May 20, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Burnt oacher medium brown with very little to no light shining through.  True tan head tops it off barely and keeps a 2millimeter foam on top forms good while.  Thin oily but sticky legs.

Medium dark chocolate ice-cream oatmeal sandwich.  This smells like it's going to be dumb rich.

Surprisingly this is has far more bitterness than I'd have guessed.  Dark and milk chocolate meet with a fairly sharp whisky (think Jim bean) note (not in a bad way).  Molasses and perhaps a suggestion of fig/dark cooked fruit.  Candied apple (just the red).

Mild carbonation, fairly long finish, oil slick.

Very good balance between sweet and bitter notes.  Not my go to take on the style but interesting none the less.

flannelman808, Sep 14, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

16 bucks for retail, 18 to consume in the bar...a tall order and I think my friend for splitting this one.

Served room temp and I highly recommend letting this one breath a bit.

Dark as night pour, this seems a bit thicker than the regular boris, but the lighting and glassware wasn't up to a proper comparison.

A strong complex roasted coffee, vanilla, chocolate, and bourbon nose.

The taste is much the same. No flavor really takes over, this is amazingly well blended and sinfully delightful. Hops at the finish give this one a lot of dark fruit flavors but the bitter roast never lets it turn overly sweet or fruity. Of course the chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and oak flavors are all very present and solid.

Very good body here. Just enough carbonation survived the barrel aging. Somewhat thick and chewy.

I'm not sure what else to say. A very very good beer. Is it on par with some of the world's top barrel aged imperial stouts? Well, my score might end up close, but close in this world is a HUGE difference. Get the price down or somewhat add that extra umph and we'll talk again.

bobhits, Nov 24, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 22 oz.. bottle into a tulip.

The appearance is a mahogany brown, nearly black, with a small mocha head.

The aroma has a nice bourbon presence. Sweet vanilla, milk chocolate, bourbon, roast malt, and a bit of chocolate control the nose.

The flavor is really nice and smooth while at the same time maintaining the the distinctness of flavor that I like. Milk chocolate first, then bourbon, vanilla, oak, a bit of general booziness, with some roasted malt and a touch of coffee as support.

The body is pleasantly full with very light carbonation. The finish has a light sweetness, but it rounds out well with the oak and whiskey dryness.

This is my favorite BORIS for sure.

KickInTheChalice, Jan 30, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to the mothman for sharing this one.

Deep dark oily black colored body with a mocha colored head.

Smell is of licorice, oatmeal, bourbon and roasted malts.

Big thick roasty bourbon flavors come through immediately. Lots of licorice comes through as well. Very sweet and thick in the finish, with the wood barrel flavor coming in as well.

Big, thick, smooth syrupy mouthfeel. The flavor lingers on the tongue forever.

Good drinkablility for such a big beer and the oatmeal makes it smooth.

pmccallum86, Mar 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into a pint glass. This poured a rich deep black with hardly any bubbles. Smell is of bourbon with molasses. Taste is of a faint bourbon with nice molasses coffee coating the mouth and tongue. This kinda reminds me of a harsher KBS. Its a good beer and a subtle replacement when your out of KBS. I liked the beer and glad I picked it up to try would buy it again.

jradams76, Apr 03, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

It was International Stout Day when we sampled this. Thanks the Masterski for this one.

Poured from a 22oz. bottle and shared with my wife.

Appearance: Pours thick and dark with a real dark brown head. Good sized retention that disappears in a few minutes.

Smell: Oat flakes, chocolate mixed with wood and whiskey notes that blend real well. Strong without being boozy.

Taste: Chocolate mixed with whiskey. Oatmeal felt in the finish and there's a robust, roasted flavor in the middle. Slightly less balanced than the aroma but still tasty.

Mouthfeel: Remarkably smooth, bit coarse midway with a medium-low carbonation.

Overall: Packs a punch and almost busts out of balance but doesn't Good stuff.

papat444, Nov 10, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

8oz sample poured into snifter on 05/23/2011.
Pours black and opaque with a thin, small bead, mocha head. Dissipates quick and leaves slight lacing. Nose is full of vanilla, chocolate, roast, burnt sugar, coffee and a touch of booze. The taste is full of the smell and definitely on the sweet side. Full body and low on carbonation. Great imperial stout. I want more to age and see how the flavors develop.

gnemesis, Jun 15, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

We pour a brew of syrupy, motor oil black. It gives up nothing around the edges or when held to light. A rough pour puts up a one finger head of tight, dark brown bubbles. This recedes rather quickly, but comes back readily with a hearty swirl of the snifter. Spots of lacing ring the glass. No haze or sediment is noted, and the active carbonation rises slowly. The aroma is fusel, boozy and warming, with thick and roasty coffee malts, massive oak and vanilla coolness from the barrel aging, fatty buttery diacetyls, sweeter milk chocolates, and more syrupy and sugary black cherry sweetness. Simple but excellent. Our first impression is that the flavoring is great, with excellent representation of the whisky barreling. The flavoring opens with thickness of buttery diacetyls, deeply roasted malts, and a bittersweet warming cloy of soured oak. The malts take on further sweetness of syrupy dark chocolate and that cherry aromatic from the nose. This pulls to the peak which highlights more bitterness of roasty coffee and chocolate malts. This contrasts with more oak and muskiness from the barrels, as well as a far off earthen hop bitterness. The warmth from the alcohol finally works its way in, giving peppery bite, but soothing and cooling fusel fumes. We finish with equally as smooth malty wash, and lightly soured burn of oak and whiskey. The aftertaste breathes oak, cherry, roast, booze, chocolate nibs, faint char, and light earthen hops. The body is full, and the carbonation is light. There is great slurp and smack to the lip, with lesser cream and froth to the mustache. The mouth is thickly coated, with only lightly drying astringent boozy bite by the end. Otherwise the lips are left sticky and smacked, and the beer warms to the core. The abv is appropriate, and you’ll take your time on this one.

Overall, what we liked best about this beer was the strength of the oak, and how well that translated into aromatic, warming buttery diacetyls. From the moment you open the bottle the nostrils flood from across the room with wood, butter, roasty malts, char, and vanilla. It remains very simple, but hits all the necessary points, and hits them hard. The flavoring follows nicely, with the same qualities of the aromatics, plus a hearty warming of the soul. The feel is nice as well, with a good deal of stickiness and oily slickness. This is an excellent beer, and a serious improvement on the standard B.O.R.I.S.

TheBrewo, Dec 08, 2012
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Big thanks to brees6221 for this one...

Poured from a bomber into a Ballast Point pint glass...

A - Pours black with a one finger brown head. Head dissipates at a fairly quick pace, and there is not much lacing to be had...

S - Smell is pretty docile. All I pick up is Chocolate and Bourbon...

T - Chocolate, molasses, dark roasted malts, and dark fruits. Bourbon comes through in the finish. Tasty...

M - Rich and creamy with next to no carbonation...

O - Not my favorite from the style, but still solid. Think I might perfer the regular version a little more, but still glad I got a chance to try this one...

Cheers...