Join our email list →

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 596 | Hads: 2,293
4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks to msubulldog25 for trading me this.

Poured in a big wine glass at 55F.

Black, with some dark tan froth, and a bit of finely patterned lace.

Aromas of roasted grain, cocoa, raisin, charred bourbon barrel, and deep caramelly bourbon and malt nicely married, with some vanilla. A bit reticent, but cohesive and good.

The flavor is sweeter than the aroma lets on. Massive sweet bourbon-malt-chocolate-cherry-raisin, soon joined by just enough roastiness to achieve reasonably good balance. A smidgen of citrusy hop flavor. Dries out somewhat in a long tasty finish, with some dry cocoa and earth joining up with the bourbon barrel.

Decadent, full, creamy texture. A pleasure to drink.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

I want to thank BigEarl for this bottle. Dan provided this to me as he made his way back to Chicago to work at FFF. Dan we miss you here in Boston.

Poured this into my favorite snifter. A finger of dark tan head forms. Not very aggressive and shy of creamy. The beer is quite shiny and the deepest brown. (not black)
The head does fade in ½ rather quickly then sits as a thin cap. Some slight lacing remains.

Tons of vanilla in the aroma. Slightly woody and of slight chocolate.

Flavor is just fantastic. Layers of vanilla and dark roasted malt. Some dark fruits and I almost swear I taste cherry or to be more specific, chocolate covered cherry. Lots of bourbon which again takes me back to the vanilla. Such a wonderful smooth finish. You really get a touch of wood as it fades.

Creamy, full bodied and silky smooth.

Just wonderful. I am happy that I have another bottle of this. Fantastic.

4.77/5  rDev +12%

The 99th review of this great beer is a live review. [99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer....] Poured from the 1 pint, 6 fl. oz bottle that I bought at Rozi's in Lakewood, Ohio about a month ago. I absolutely loved the standard B.O.R.I.S. and so I was excited to find this one. I do not recall the price. I do not recall looking at the price. Poured into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang labeled Westvleteren style goblet.

A Pours oil black with a rather brief but impressive medium brown head (this is not a standard light head here folks!) that dissipated too quickly into a ring around the top of the beer. I would have hoped for more head retention but this is a beautiful looking RIS. 4.5

S Oh yeah, the dark roast malt, whiskey notes and even a great chocolate smell waft up from the surface of the beer, inspiring the beholder to comprehend all of the wonderfulness within. Exceptional smell. 5.0

T The taste is exactly what the smell suggests and oh my! What a taste it is! First I am washed over with dark roast malt goodness, then there is a wave of alcohol mixed with whiskey tones then the whole thing washes away with a great return of the dark roast malt, chocolate ripples and smooth as silk bigness. A true adventure of taste that should be experienced by anyone reading this. 5.0

M As mentioned, this is a huge beer with waves of tastes and sensations but it is at the same time smooth as silk and the feel is punctuated by a kick of warmth (the whiskey?) in the early taste. I think that I like the feel of regular B.O.R.I.S. better for that reason (for the feel I would prefer to skip the sharp jab of alcohol that I attribute to the whiskey barrels). 4.0

D Despite all of these huge tastes it is quite drinkable, almost begging to be sipped over and over. That quality tends to be rare for the style although I can think of a few that achieve that quality. It emulates the sublime Big Black Voodoo Daddy in drinkability and that is really a compliment. 4.5

3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Dull. Not much head. Coffee colored. Not much lace.

S - Yum. Coffee. Mocha... Dry chocolate.

T - Nice blend of the chocolate and coffee with malt, but a strange aftertaste that doesn't really go well. Powdery, off.

M - Good carb and coating, same argument for Taste, off somewhat.

D - Tasty enough to go the distance, but the ABV might hurt!

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

buckeyeboy brought this to the Pennsylvania vs. Ohio beer tasting on Saturday.. Ohio won the tasting.. Penn State lost the damn game... poured into a big wine goblet.

Deeeep dark brown head.. good retention and significant lacing... swirling the beer coats the glass ... nearly stains the glass.

The aroma is very much complimented by the barrels.. vanilla goes great with chocolate and the lite coffee .. big and roasty of course with something that reminds me of cinnamon.

Flavor is a restrained monster... Deep dark chocolate is firmed up by some good malty sweetness.. the barrel and the bourbon really comes in mid-palate and lasts forever.. less coffee than the nose.. but some minor espresso is there for sure and helps with a bit of acidity.. as it warms, some dark cherry really comes out too... the body is near perfect.. the carbonation is lighter than expected but pushes a velvety mouthfeel.. this is a very nice stout.

Thanks Jeremy.... I knew you were bringing the ruckus.. and this was a fantastic brew to compliment your damn Buckeyes victory.

4.32/5  rDev +1.4%

Consumed on Halloween night, while handing out candy to the neighborhood kids.

Pours a flatish coffee color. Little to no head. Obviously, due to the lack of head, this was in a barrel.

Smells of strong vanilla. Wood, toffee, chocolate, some boozy whiskey. Great nose.

The taste is really great. Strong vanilla, nice oatmealish smoothness. Great use of barrel aging. This is the best use of bourbon barreling that ive found thus far in a stout.

Recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Acquired in a trade and poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Thick and viscous black liquid that supported a dark mocha colored head. Lacing and head didn't seem to last very long.

S: Definitely picked up the whiskey, very similar to Jack Daniels, along with dark fruit and subtle chocolate.

T: I was a little suspicious about how this beer was going to turn out after sticking my nose in my glass for a few minutes, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well all the flavors gelled together. I picked up this sweet chocolate up front that was backed up by very minute, but noticeable notes of caramel, whiskey, dark fruit, and vanilla. There may possibly be some anise in this brew as well.

M: Creamy, oily, full-body...basically awesome!

D: Even though I was able to pick up some of the alcohol hotness...I found this beer incredibly easy to drink. The immense and complex flavor profile probably had a lot to do with it.

Overall: One of the most flavorful and complex Imperial Stouts out there! I was really impressed on how well all the flavors came together in the end. A must try beer and something I'll be tracking down again. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

22 oz bottle, 9.4% abv. Pours jet black, the perfect color for an imperial stout. Good looking tan head holds together for a minute, then falls to a thin layer, leaving no lace. Looks the part so far.

What a nose on this beast! Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt. A good amount of toasted oak, and some whiskey notes. A few dark fruit notes as well. Other than whiskey, a hint of hot alcohol.

Dark chocolate with some lighter roasty notes. Good amount of whiskey, with some oak notes. A nice vanilla flavor near the end with some vinous notes as well.

Not quite a full body. Low carbonation. Still somewhat creamy and chewy. Some alcohol stands out, but not overly hot. Great complexity. The barrel aging adds a great layer here. Outstanding.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to several trading partners for hooking me up with bottles of this sweet beer.
Pours a dark, oily black with just a few bubbles, no head.
Mild aromas of dark chocolate, banana, molasses, vanilla, slight oak.
Wow, this beer tastes much much better than the aroma - there are huge chocolate, vanilla, and oak flavors along with banana and a nice pepper spiciness (where is THAT coming from?). The bourbon barrels contributed perfectly to the base stout - it's not too overpowering like many bourbon barrel stouts. There's just a mild bourbon taste with really more vanilla and oak coming from the aging.
The mouthfeel is thick and smooth with an oiliness that coats the mouth. The carbonation level is perfect for the style.
Drinkability is surprisingly high - if I weren't sharing this bottle I could have polished off the 22 ounces easily.
Overall this is a fantastic bourbon barrel stout and one of my favorites.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this one up from Jason over at Bruisin Ales in Asheville...

I enjoyed this one on Halloween night while enjoying the original "Halloween" with Jamie Lee Curtis and the awesome theme music....

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this beer is the epitome of Halloween midnight black... Completely void of any light.... Slowly forms a very thin and quickly fading mocha head... Then it just sits there.. Heavy and thick looking.. Excellent looking...

There's no mistaking the barrel aging here...huge aromas of the bourbon mix wonderfully with the deep dark roasted malts, the hints of sweet dark fruits, the delicate smoothness of the vanilla and the richness of the dark chocolate malts... This is powerfully enticing and addictive...the complexity added by the barrels really does this one justice... The bourbon aromas aren't overpowering at all; they lend an extra layer here not usually found in others...

An incredibly rich and thick chewy mouthfeel, unbelievably thick and creamy... The burn of the bourbon is smoothed out perfectly by the sweet dark chocolate roasted malts and vanilla flavors as well as the tinge of dark fruits...this one is really delicious... The alcohol makes a quick appearance on the finish reminding me to enjoy every delicious sip....

This is definitely one of the top 10 brews that I've ever had... A sipper, for sure.... A masterpiece...

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks goes out to Wespatrick for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Poured into a chalice a very nice black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is awesome, malty, very nice oak note, chocolate, toffee, caramel, dark fruits. The taste is amazing, malty, oaky, nice sweet vanilla note, chocolate, toffee, and some dark fruit. Full body, this is a nice smooth, slightly chewy brew, a sipper for sure. Very drinkable, man this one is tasting very nice tonight. Thanks Wes!

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

22oz. bomber poured into tulip glasses:

A: Aggressive pour which created no head just a lace of mocha on the top. The beer itself....well if you close your eyes really tight, so that not even a sliver of light can get in, that's how dark this brew is. It most certainly looks viscous, and rich.

S: The nose on this one is robust black coffee, bitter sweet dark chocolate, with notes of vanilla and butterscotch. Then just a touch of whiskey towards the end.

T: The chocolate and coffee marries very well in this RIS, leaving you with a rich dark mocha flavor throughout the entire palate. Very bitter sweet, whiskey showing through near the finish. Leaving your mouth watering for more.

M: Heavy, viscous, and creamy just how we would expect a great RIS to be. Little to no carbonation, with a warming sensation from the alcohol in the chest.

D: Hoppin Frog did a great job on this one, it is definitely "Bodacious", and we will be purchasing more in the near future. We didn't want this bottle to end.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

4.24/5  rDev -0.5%

22oz bomber into a Duvel snifter pours a deep opaque black with almost no head, just a dark tan ring and a tiny island of thin tan froth, slight lacing is left behind on the glass. Aroma is Bourbon oak up front with roasted malts, espresso, vanilla and slight bitter cocoa. The taste is loads of sweet roasted malts with a bit of boozy alcohol, way sweeter than I expected from the aroma. The sweetness does settle down a bit as the beer warms. The beer is fairly heavy, but an enjoyable sipper. I was able to enjoy this one, but I really wish the taste had lived up to the aroma.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

My impression of B.O.R.I.S without the barrel aging was summedup with two words - beer orgasm! I'm eager to go back to second helpings with the barrel aged version.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a MJ snifter.

A - This mocha head, that leaves quickly. But lots of tiny carbonation bubbles continue to crop up and cling to the sides of the glass. Still black hole dark, no light enters or leaves. Viscous in the glass, oily, but the wood aging seams to have thinned it a bit. Rated same as B.O.R.I.S.

A - First sniffs are of wood, a little sourness, vanilla, the whiskey comes through nicely, some roasted notes at the back edge. The wood aging has scrubbed out the luscious velvety aromas of the original beer, to the point that they dominate eveything else. I really liked the original, and miss some of those oatmeal RIS notes. Gonna have to knock it down one notch, because to me, the original should come through a little more than this.

T - First sip is bourbon, then a woody sourness. Roasted maltiness comes through a little later. Not quite as lush and velvety as the original. As it warms, you get some of the wood tannins coming through. Still wish there was more balance with the original, unaged beer. B.O.R.I.S. really wow-ed me. The barrel aging took some of the wonder off for me. Again, I'm going to knock it down a notch, because I'm looking for a little more balance.

M - still full and lush, viscous, oily, some tannins from the wood give it a little astrigency. Still very nice beer. But still gonna lower my rating from the original B.O.R.I.S. A lot of the chocolatey, velvety, whipped cream foam in the original has been stripped by the wood aging.

D - this is a cold winter night sipper by the fireside. If given as a gift or a trade, I keep it and lay it down for a year to see how it mellows. But from an economic standpoint, I'll pay $9 for B.O.R.I.S. and continue to be wow-ed, routinely, rather than spend the $19 for the barrel aged and miss the qualities of original that I really miss in this example. Still a great beer. If you get the chance, you must try it. Better yet, get them both and try them side by side. Both are remarkable beers.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Rich deep nearly pitch black brown hued color with moderate lace retention. Head is hickory brown and although initially boisterous, short lived. Lots of burnt sugar, vanilla, moderate amounts of bourbon notes, roasted oatmeal, mostly sweet smells, but there's nice sourness coming from the roast. Flavor brings in some predictable bitter dark chocolate notes which pair surprisingly well with the whiskey. Lots of sugary sweetness too. Alcohol is in the forefront, but finishes with little emphasis. Otherwise, the aroma accurately foretells the taste.

Body is thick, thicker than any other beer Ive had. More than chewy, filling and velvety smooth on the tongue. Its really a wonderful stout.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Charred oak barrel black with no highlights whatsoever. No how, no way. The magnificent cap of foam is the color of a double chocolate fudge milkshake and looks to be as creamy and as thick. It melts in super-slow motion and is absolutely plastering the glass with lace. Yeah, but is it perfect? Yessiree.

If the aroma is any indication, Fred left B.O.R.I.S. in the whiskey barrels for precisely the right length of time. The roasted maltiness of the base RIS is easily appreciated alongside the beautiful burnt sugar and vanilla notes imparted by the barrels. This is shaping up to be one gobsmacker of a stout.

Regular B.O.R.I.S. needs a re-review in the worst way. I had a feeling that my experience on the day of that review wasn't what it should have been (because I was lucky enough to taste the beer right out of the tanks on a visit to the brewery). I say that because simply aging this beast in whiskey barrels couldn't have improved it this much. Even without the bourbon, it's a remarkable RIS. A bodacious one even.

The flavor profile can only be described as thunderous, thanks to what tastes like several metric tons of roasted and black malt. There aren't too many versions with this much dark chocolatiness. Other flavors include espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark caramel, vanilla beans and coconut. The flavor and bitterness of the hops gives it that edge that puts it over the top. Even more whiskey would have been welcome, but the beer is still amazing.

The mouthfeel was flirting with the next lowest score until the last few mouthfuls. Warming firms things up, smooths them out and adds a luscious creaminess akin to... well... heavy cream. Laid back bubbles are dead solid perfect.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. is Hoppin' Frog's best beer (and they brew some beauties). It has everything that I look for in a bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, and then some. Here's hoping that Mr. Karm releases it yearly. And that some kind Ohio BA will hook me up if I'm not able to make it back in time to clear out a few stores.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Black with nice tan head. So black you can't through it holding it up to the light!

S- Sweet with dark chocolate notes as well as smokey whiskey barrel scents.

T- Amazing! This beer has a great amount of flavor such as dark chocolate, coffee and a lot of whiskey which gives it a nice sweet taste! Leaves a nice warm feeling in your chest.

M- F'n PHENOMENAL !! ... Easily one of the smoothest imperial stouts we have had yet.

D- This was the lowest score we gave the beer but that does not mean that it is bad. Due to the thickness and sweetness of the beer, this is something we would enjoy a few glasses of at a small get together but not something we'd pound at a party for 4 hours...

Enjoy!

Tom and Analise

4.87/5  rDev +14.3%

I just finished my 3rd Batch 1 (not by myself, and not all in the same night), and I'm seriously blown away by this beer. This is near perfection, a dangerously addictive stout.

The beer is dark brown, opaque, with a thin but solid-looking tan head. The aroma is just about perfect, I have a hard time believing this is a barrel aged version of the standard B.O.R.I.S. This beer is rich with chocolate roasted malts, some coffee and more complex esters than I ever had in the standard beer. The flavors all come through strong in the taste, more sweet than anything else but very well balanced with the roasted toasty malts. I didn't get much of the barrel (vanilla or oak) but the beer itself is a near masterpiece of flavors. The body is thick and silky smooth, not as thick as Dark Lord but not too far off, in honesty this is a better overall package than Dark Lord (having tried them side by side, this is my position). Strongly recommended, buy this beer if and when you see it.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Pours black with nice 2" tan head. Had to pour very vigorously to get foamage, but it was there.
S- So complex, its somewhat hard to pick out all the scents. I get coffee, chocolate malts, booze, vanilla, and a smokey oakey flavor. Smells very sweet, but slightly boozey. Really a great smelling beer.
T- Again, this beer is very complex, but the taste is truly remarkable. At first sip, bourbon, chocolate, and coffee creaminess hit the palate. Has a nice smokey flavor, possible from the oak. Finishes sweet and creamy with a nice coffee-bourbon aftertaste. Really, really dank.
M- was creamy and viscous with the carbonation really being perfectly adequate.
D- Would be a shame if you didn't sip this to savor all the awesomeness in every drop. That being said, I could like drink 3-4 of these in one sitting if they weren't so expensive and unavailable in my area.
Overall, A truly excellent beer. I will throw this on my mental top 10 list.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Being reviewed from notes. Split a bomber of this with my good friend Passow a few weeks ago. Poured into a pint glass. This beer is a black color that lets in zero light at all. Has a dark brown head in inch when poured, settling to a nice surface coating. Great lace. Aromas of roasted malt and bourbon along with a hint of chocolate and also alcohol. The taste pretty much follows suite. Nice roasted chocolate malt with oaked bourbon goodness along with a bit of vanilla. Some dark fruit such as plum or raisin also present. The taste of alcohol is also present and the beer is rounded out with a bit of hops. Has a crisp, smooth and creamy full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink, but this is certainly a beer best enjoyed sipped slowly. Took me well over an hour to finish mine. Excellent!

Eric

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

Sampled sixth in a ten stout tasting and placing sixth.

Pours pitch black. Hardly no head and virtually no retention. Still, this is what I expect from this beer.

Smells very bourbony and chocolatey. There is some alcohol but it's in the back.

Lotsa bourbon and sweet malts. Extremely smooth as you would expect a barrel aged stout to be. Creamy and nicely carbonated for the style.

Spend all night with this bad rascal. I love regular BORIS and this slightly improves on it.

4.76/5  rDev +11.7%

Got this one from Klevelandrocks, cheers Ken! Review from notes

Pours ebony with a pinky of mocha colored head. Nice oiliness to this, a bit of lacing & no head retention

S: Dark fruit & choclate, plus oakyness & raisins

T: Dark chocolate & fruit up front, along with charred grain & vanilla. Some herbal hops sneak in as this warms, along with more dark chcolate vanilla, figs, raisins & a touch of coffee. Finishes with a whisper of booze, lovely dark chcolate & a touch leaf hops

MF: Chewy & oily with trace amounts of carbonation

Drinks to easy, I like this better than the regular version BORIS, well done hopping frog!

3.32/5  rDev -22.1%

I was really excited to try this, and while it wasn't bad, it didn't really come close to meeting my high expectations. Compared to some of the other highly rated RIS's out there, I didn't really feel it stacked up all that well. It is very black and syrupy, but the aroma and flavor didn't deliver nearly as much flavor as I expected. This beer is nowhere as roasty as a Speedway Stout, and isn't 1/10th as bourbon-y as say a Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Aroma was quite faint, and mouthfeel was frankly quite thin, particularly for a beer that looked a little syrupy coming out of the bottle. Flavor was pretty good, but fainter than I thought it would be - roasty, bourbon-y, some dried fruit notes (and quite a bit of booziness), but not to the degree of intensity that they hype surrounding this beer would lead me to believe.

This wasn't a bad beer by any stretch, but it didn't really meet my expectations. Of those RIS's that are big, expensive, and somewhat hard to get, I think this one is a bit over-hyped. Like I said, not bad, but definitely not belonging in the elite category or beers of this style.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Oh man am I excited to try this.

A: Black. Very Very black and syrupy. There is a faint brown layer of head sitting on top.

S: Very nice smelling. Lots of sweet vanilla notes and spicy whiskey notes. The whiskey brings out a bit of smokiness too which goes well with the vanilla and roastiness.

T: Very sweet with the vanilla, oatmeal, chocolate and roastiness coming through first and a warming whiskey finish.

M: Silky smooth. Wow I am impressed with the smoothness of the beer. Most impressive is how the whiskey is always present but not dominant.

D: I wish I could drink this all night but a bomber is plenty.

4.62/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to normyk for this one.

wow. this beer looks and smells phenomenal. one of the darkest beers ive seen. black all the way through with just the slightest tinge of amber on the edges when held directly up to the light. dark brown head that recedes quickly but leaves a nice ring around a thin island of bubbles in the middle. zero lacing.

everything great about an imperial stout is here, and here in a big way. the barrel aging is fantastic. a good whiskey flavor all the way through that is not overwhelming at all, but rather nice and calm, subtle and classy. a good deal of chocolate sweetness through the middle with hints of caramel and molasses. a great roasty/smokiness accompanied by a dry hazelnut flavor that gives way to a sweet oak whiskey flavor in the finish/aftertaste. very warming. the 9.4% is pronounced, and awesome. as if all this were not enough, the hop character perfectly compliments the onslaught of malty awesomeness. an absolutely fantastic beer.

mouthfeel is slightly tingly, though it is not because of excessive carbonation, but rather the sting of the alcohol. otherwise, it is just a little too thin, but exceptionally smooth. drinkability is huge... i cant stop sipping.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery