2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,604 | Reviews: 546 | Show All Ratings:
dukedevil0

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Picked up a couple bombers of this at Binny's in Des Plaines, IL.

A: Pours a completely black used motor oil color with less than a finger of beautiful dark mocha colored head that recedes quickly to just a rim of small bubbles around the edge.

S: Smells like mostly dark chocolate, with roasted malts, black coffee...surprisingly not much of a "barrel aged" scent as I don't pick up much vanilla, oak, or even whiskey...when it warms up you can smell more whiskey/boozy scents

T: Lots of the scents are present in the flavors, with a little of the barrel aging coming out more - super dark chocolatey, roasted malts, some dark coffee then a little whiskey comes out at the halfway point until the finish along with subtle vanilla and oak

M: Mouthfeel is amazing on this beer, super creamy and thick, almost syrupy and oily, some tingling from the carbonation

D: Surprisingly drinkable for the style, I keep looking at the glass and it's going down quick. There's some great intense flavor here without being "too much". There is a slight tinge of alcohol, but I really think it's a great aspect of the beer.

Overall, the smell left a little to be desired and the appearance to a smaller extent. However, the flavor of this beer is just awesome. I think a lot of other breweries are barrel aging the heck out of their beers, but I think the fact that Hoppin' Frog only put this in barrels for a few months really made this beer what it is. It's a great RIS base with just a bit of barrel aging that really gives this beer that little bit extra and makes it special.

07-28-2009 23:36:16 | More by dukedevil0
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Bottle, batch 1, into snifter. This is courtesy of Dev (buckeyesox). I can't count how many beers he hooked me up with. Reviewed at just below room temp and up.

Pours black, opaque, with a thin dark-brown head that settles into a soapy cap.

Nose is quite nice - bourbon leaves notes of vanilla and spicy brown sugar to complement the nutty oatmeal, with light notes of rich espresso and dark chocolate underneath. Spicy alcohol is definitely noticeable as well.

Taste follows through as expected. Bourbon is neither under nor overstated, instead striking a nice balance as it melds with the big dark chocolate and light roasty espresso notes to create a beautiful spicy brown sugar-alcohol presence. Oatmeal is much more prominent than in any other oatmeal stout I've tried, leaving a nutty signature that's quite nice. Some noticeable alcohol bite at the back of the throat, but not too boozy overall. Finish is bourbony, maybe a bit of roasted malt.

Mouthfeel is very silky, with a biting but tiny-bubbled carbonation over that medium-full, silky body. Best aspect of the beer.

Drinkability is very good; the alcohol still shows through a bit, but not too much. The flavors are robust without getting out of hand, and everything is put together fairly well. For such a huge style, I was pleasantly surprised. It gets better as you drink.

07-28-2009 20:41:54 | More by JohnQVegas
Jcb890

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

This is the first batch of BA BORIS.

A - The beer poured a deep black color with a small dark tan/brown head. Lacing was about average.

S - First smell is a vanilla and a lot of chocolate.

T - The barrel aged factors in more in the nose than in the taste on this one, but it is nice and subtle. I liked the fact that it was not overpowering at all. You get some nice vanilla to go along with the oatmeal, chocolate and coffee. I really enjoyed this one a lot.

M - Nice and silky smooth.

D - In my opinion, quite drinkable. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Having a keg of this would be wonderful.

Overall I really really enjoyed the 1st batch of BA BORIS and may post up an edit to this when I try the 2nd batch of BA BORIS to compare the two. This is one of my favorite barrel aged beers.

07-28-2009 03:01:49 | More by Jcb890
BARFLYB

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to Vinyljunkie for this in a recent trade, consumed late at night to avoid the heat during the summer. Poured into a snifter.

A- BA Boris pours out black from the bottle and has a semi thick look. Once in the glass it stays black while no head was seen just some very faint skim, no lacing, which is expected. A few swirls brings up a dark brown skim on the surface. Towards the end of my glass I see some brown edges in the liquid.

S- Kind of threw me off because I got a lot of dark fruit which was not present in the regular BORIS, perhaps this is new for regular boris as I have not had a regular in a while. Big scents of bourbon with chocolate and even less coffee. Some vanilla and cream. Not being a fan of huge scents of fruits in my stouts that detracted from the smell.

T- The taste is much better as the dark fruit is still there but the other flavors take away from it. A nice amount of bourbon(not sure which type of barrel used) that comes out more with warming. Up next is a nice vanilla addition which melds nicely with the chocolate and light coffee mix. The oatmeal which is very big in the regular version is still here but very muted. A bunch of roasted malt while the hops are light, no bitterness.

M&D- The mouthfeel is actually lighter than expected, I would venture to say that it is above medium bodied with light carbonation. The alcohol is masked extremely well, it's almost non existant. All of the flavors stick around in the aftertaste for a bit. The drinkability is great and only gets better as boris warms, I wish I let it warm more before I drank it all because I was really feeling the last few ounces of it.

For a first time attempt at barrel aging something as great as BORIS, hoppin frog did a great job, although I have had much better attempts at bourbon barrel aged beers. Here is to hoping that future batches grow in complexity and more bourbon.

07-27-2009 00:08:14 | More by BARFLYB
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

After a long drive home I decided it was time to crack open a biggie that I have been dying to try, served chilled and poured into a darkness snifter, this one was consumed on 07/26/2009.

Appearance - The poor was black as night with a thin tan head on top. Not hanging around long it faded back into the abyss and left some light side glass lacing that webbed out decently.

Smell - Big aroma here. Lots of dark fruity notes which suprised me, but melted into rich vanilla and oak like notes that wrapped around a soild base of chocolate and coffee. Very well done.

Taste - Again huge here. There are loads of vanilla and oak notes that wash across the tongue first, filling the palate and really exploring the full spectrum of taste here. Chocolate and coffee move in but then the suprise, nice notes of plums maybe? Perhaps figs, where this fruit like note is coming from I am not sure but it is more then a welcome sight here and really serves to thicken the flavor. A long drawn out finish winds down with a light hint of vanilla and cocoa dacing on the tongue.

Feel - Big, but not too thick it is very well balanced. Despite the lack of the big head on it there is very good carbonation that works on all levels quite nicely.

Drinkabilty - Very nicely done again here. The ABV is deceptively smooth and none of the flavors overbearing. I literally thought it was outstanding to sip on and found myself indulging in a bit more then I thought during the course of the night.

Overall it was outstanding. One of the better barrel aged stouts I have had in a very long time. Why it took me soo long to get ahold of this one I have no idea but it was well worth it for sure. I would do this again any day, I may have a new favorite!

07-26-2009 14:54:39 | More by mikesgroove
miketd

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

After a second and third time with this beer, the subtlety is even more awesome and puts it above most bourbon stouts for me. Pours black with a small head. Aroma is big oak and vanilla with no bourbon. Flavor is vanilla, oak and a little booze but very subtle. Nice body and very easy to drink.

07-26-2009 12:29:07 | More by miketd
Overlord

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks RoyMunson.

Pours a dark, brownish black with a very tiny dark tan foam which leaves a thin crust behind. Pours fairly thick, though not a sludge machine like Dark Lord.

Smells faintly, very faintly, of bourbon, but mostly of mocha, chocolate, and vanilla. Mmmm..

Taste is surprisingly sweet, and mild on the bourbon. Clearly, these guys aren't of the "bourbon bomb" philosophy. The bourbon is understated and supporting, and there's both dark and milk chocolate along with a huge amount of vanilla, some sour oatmeal twangs, and a nice billowy dark sweet fruit background.

This is one delicious beer, I must say. It is not that thick, but it is perfectly carbonated.

07-26-2009 10:58:23 | More by Overlord
tedpeer

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

1st Batch. Bomber into a pint.

A - Pours black with a half inch mocha head that faded to a whispy layer and ring around. No real lacing.

S - Dark malts, dark fruit, vanilla hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla and mild bourbon. Some warmth in the finish.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation. Bourbon is not to heavy, pretty well done.

D - Pretty good for the ABV

07-26-2009 01:41:39 | More by tedpeer
infestaxion

1st batch.

A - Black as pitch. Not much of a head. Just a slick of bubbles across the top and a ring around the glass.

S - Whiskey up front. Then chocolate notes as well as some roastiness.

T - The whiskey is more subdued in the taste than the smell. The chocolate and roasted malt pop more. Hints of vanilla and oak. Pretty tasty.

M - Thick and creamy.

D - Highly drinkable for a high ABV beer.

07-26-2009 01:08:46 | More by infestaxion
DavidEddie

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours pitch black with a minimal tan head that faded quick. Light aromas of chocolate, vanilla, coffee, wet oak, and a touch of bourbon. The taste is were this beer starts to shine. Burnt coffee, dark fruits, cherries, fudge, vanilla, some oak, and mild bourbon. Finishes sweet.As it warmed more oak and smoke became present. ABV is hidden fairly well, but is a tad warming going down. Mouth feel is oily and slick. With a good amount of carbonation. Drinkably is surprisingly too easy for this barrel aged stout. Recommended!

07-25-2009 04:30:53 | More by DavidEddie
avalon07

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a totally thick, impenetrable consistency. There was a thin layer of tan-colored, foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A big aroma of coffee, roasted malt, oatmeal and a hint of bourbon.

T: Tasted of roasted malt, coffee, oatmeal, a little hops and some bourbon in the finish. Alcohol is somewhat noticable, but not overwhelmingly so. Complex, chewy and tasty.

M: A good amount of carbonation and a slightly slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is a drinkable beer. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of, but definitely drinkable.

07-21-2009 12:53:49 | More by avalon07
maximum12

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to obrienej to sending me a bottle of the first batch of BA BORIS. It's been sitting way too long. Love the original BORIS, so expectations are pretty high for this barrel-aged puppy.

It's dark & darker. Smell is subtle barrel & dark malts.

This is the shoe-pack of RIS. The oatmeal component gives this a silkly smooth slide not found in your run-o-the-mill RIS. That's the first impression, followed by the understated bourbon walking around amidst the wood, vanilla cookie, & malts that someone probably imported across the Styx. Damn! Not only is this really good, but the bourbon is nicely understated, & there are things going on here you don't see elsewhere. Only a few sips into this, but my lips are coated with goodness. I'm going to need some lip balm by the time my half of the bomber is gone.

Marvelous. I'd like to get another of these. Top-notch BA RIS. Get one if you can!

07-21-2009 02:52:57 | More by maximum12
Bung

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

22 oz. Viscous near black pour. Some brown bubbles, sticks to the glass a bit. Big bourbon aroma, accented with molasses, vanilla, caramel, just hints of roast malt. Taste is a real nice balance with the barrel on the stout qualities, not as potent as the nose. Roasted malt, chocolates with light amounts of dark red fruits. Vanilla, caramel, oak follow. Warming, but not as much as the aroma would suggest. Thick and full bodied. Finish is lingering toffee sweetness and oak barrel. The only thing I would say this could use is some more bittering of coffee and hops. I expect barrel aging to negate some of that anyways though. Good drinkability for the "size". A real nice variation on the excellent original Boris.

07-19-2009 04:44:36 | More by Bung
Kadonny

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A big thanks to jwelsh who gave me a taste at the CAH. Poured from his bottle into a small tasting glass.

A: A dark black thick oily looking beer with minimal carbonation and head. Granted, this was only a small tasting glass so I didn't get the full effect of a pour. Minimal (if any) glass lacing.

S: Dark roasted coffee/espresso with some chocolate and some sweeter vanilla boozy smells.

T: My first taste comes in the form of cherry and chocolate sweetness followed by the darker roasted coffee and espresso flavors. The sweetness comes in the form of vanilla, caramel, sweet fruits coupled with the whiskey oaky flavors. Finish comes with more dark chocolate and a hint of bitterness. Very complex beer, excellent.

M: Medium, not as full as I expected, but certainly not thin. Low carbonation and the alcohol is certainly tasted.

D: High for a thick stout with the high abv. Sweetness is held in check and makes for a very drinkable beer.

Overall a great version of Boris with a bit more complexity that I'm not sure really makes it better than regular Boris. I love the regular Boris but the whiskey adds some other flavors that I'm not sure make it better. Different, but not necessarily better. Still a great beer.

07-16-2009 13:33:22 | More by Kadonny
kegger22

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours with the absence of all light with very little head, vigorous pour (who cares). The aroma was not overpowering, of choco-coffee. As for taste, I rate it a bit ahead of Speedway stout, chocolate, coffee (not overwelming), and don't ask me where this comes from, but I'm getting grapes too. Someone mentioned that it looks like motor oil... well it feels that way too. Overall, top-notch. I will buy, share and drink again.

07-16-2009 04:29:14 | More by kegger22
carps12

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%

Batch2. Thanks to my bud Alex (Rhinos00) for hooking me up! This sample however was a casualty in shipping. The cap was loose and 1/3 leaked out so I cracked it the same night I received it.

Poured into my duckrabbit snifter. Beer looks very black and dead flat. The cap could have leaked all the carbonation. A few bubbles are on the rim, but it was wishful thinking that they equaled carbonation.

Smell is bourbon, but not overpowering, lots of vanilla, chocolate, clove and almost a cinnamon note. Fantastic!

Beer is flat thanks to the leak. Some prickles are felt when I swirl the beer in my mouth. Finish is roasty, chocolately, and dark fruits are mingled in. I like the sweetness from the bourbon and vanilla. The stout is not dry, so the palette stays refreshed, but the flatness gets to you.

Points come off for mouthfeel (flat) and drinkability (flat). Its a good thing I have more.

07-16-2009 03:07:29 | More by carps12
ThaBobfather

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a motor oil black with a thin rimming of chocolate brown head.
Smell has a great chocolate and large malt presence with a barrel-aged boozey quality.
Taste is very chocolate malty in character sort of like a chocolate oatmeal cookie, fairly sweet.
Finish is pretty clean with a little malty/booze after-taste.
Drinks well at 9.4% but I wouldn't call it ridculously drinkable like many in its class.

07-15-2009 03:03:42 | More by ThaBobfather
LilBeerDoctor

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle at PPRBSG09. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of rich roasted malt, bourbon, bitter chocolate, and chocolate fudge. Flavor is bourbony upfront with a chocolatey finish. Mellow (alcohol-wise) for a barrel aged beer, which I appreciate, but I still think I prefer the original (??). Good beer still!

07-11-2009 15:22:25 | More by LilBeerDoctor
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

...and I thought I was blown away by the regular BORIS. With more strength and complexity from whisky barrels, this beer is about as good as Stouts get.

Because of the wood aging and extra alcohol that are picked up from whiskey barrels, the beer has a tough time holding onto any strong head or from retaining well. But the beer shows a lot of burned amber legging that does appeal to me.

Those espresso and cocoa aromas still show up in force, the barrel aged version also has a stronger ester profile than the simplified and standard version. Stronger alcohols make an impact but in a more subtle way that doesn't bring extra attention to itself.

Flavors to the same: stronger and more ester-forward. Chocolate covered cherries, berries, and plumbs begin to shine a bit. More caramels, vanillans, and simple woodiness begins to richen the beer, again without gaining dominance but adding complexity. Simply a more complex flavored BORIS without any distracitons.

The same silky, velvety smoothness is unhampered by the added alcohols. The barrel aging may actually take the edge off of the beer, making it smoother textured. But a bit drier and warmer strengthens the argument for compexity without hurting the beer.

I guess the argument for or against the barrel aging would be in whether you prefer a simple and pure stout or a complex and varying stout. But this variety is a welcome addition to the near flawless standard version.

Thanks goryshkewych, this beer was insanely good!

07-08-2009 03:55:57 | More by BEERchitect
MbpBugeye

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Batch #2- Purchased on 7/3/09.

A- Pours out slow with the look and weight of draining motor oil from a car. A very thin, dark coffee colored head fizzed up but was very short-lived. Im left with a shimmery, oily surface with small wisps of suds and a hairline ring around the edge.
Not much lacing, just little beads of foam that slide back down the sides of the glass.

The color is black with hints of black around the edges. If held up to the light some black begins to be visible.

S- Swirling this one around in a snifter really helps bring out lots of hidden aromas. Whiskey up front, vanilla, bitter sweet chocolates, raisins, prunes, figs?
The nose is smooth and round. It matches the body and taste.

T- Like the smell the whiskey is at the front but its not intimidating or overpowering nor does it linger. It makes way for roasty malts and a raisin-y/ prune-y sweetness, followed by the oak.
The finish is my favorite part of tasting this beer. Im getting a wonderful powdery, rich taste of bitter sweet cocoa and hot fudge syrup. Very pleasant.

M- Smooth, thick round. Very full body. The low carbonation helps play up the round feeling. A bit of alcohol warmth on the finish. BA BORIS is very sticky and chewy. I feel it resting in my stomach. This beer has some weight to it.

D- Sip this one slowly, enjoy it. This bomber is going to last me all evening.

07-05-2009 20:16:01 | More by MbpBugeye
kasper

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Pours a deep, dark brown with a small roast coffee-colored head that leaves tads of lacing. Looks oily with a nice sheen.

S: Aromas of dark fruits, and prunes, apples, bourbon, vanilla and a tad of smoked and cocoa.

T: Dark, fruity stout with many of the aforementioned aromas playing out on the palate. The dark fruits are balanced nicely by the barreling aging aspects.

M: Thick, oily, a bit sticky and definitely chewy. A heavy one for sure.

D: A superior effort. Great sipper. Well balanced. Smooth finish.

07-04-2009 02:19:37 | More by kasper
nlmartin

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I went into my one of my favorite beer stores looking for the new Stones Anniversary Beer. No joy on the stones; however, I stumbled across a couple bottles of Barrel Aged Boris. I am a sucker for stouts. I really dig Boris and well throw whiskey in the mix and its a party. I left the beer in my fridge for longer than I would have liked. Dam!... The beer has set on the counter for 15 minutes its still a bit cold but into my pint glass its going. The beer will be allowed to reach a temperature I enjoy.

Appearance: The beer pours a nearly perfect blackness in my beer. All the light that hits the beer cannot penetrate the blackness. No opaqueness is noted to light. The head is the coloration of lightly creamed espresso foam. The head is about 1/4 inch. Nice retention of the head is noted. Thick lacing remains on my glass. This seems to be a very inviting beer.

Smell: Like regular Boris all the expected Imperial Stout notes are played well. Dark roasted, toasted and chared malt notes mingle in the aroma. The aroma of bitter sweet cocoa and dark roasted coffee. The aroma of the "whiskey" isnt subtle. The "whiskey" is a well played addition to Boris.

Taste: The whiskey is very forward in the flavor. The whiskey flavor is leading the charge and driving the flavor of Boris. The resulting combination kind of reminds me of Bourbon balls. Vanilla, dark semi sweet cocoa, a flash of coffee bourbon. I think I could get this same sort of effect adding a bit of bourbon to my own bottle of Boris.

Mouthfeel: Boris in this incarnation is still extra large and in charge. The beer has a full body. The carbonation is low but works very well. The beer seems a bit hot to the mouth.

Drinkability: The addition of the whiskey element turns this beer into a sipper for me. Its still draining from my glass at a fast rate. If you dont like whiskey - bourbon ect stay away as this isnt a beer for you. As for me I have another bottle in my cellar. I am curious to see what a bit of time will do for Boris and the whiskey in the jar.

07-02-2009 00:06:14 | More by nlmartin
OldSchoolGamer

This beer was all the hype a couple months ago. With another release in the close future, I decided to crack open my last bottle. Lets see if it lives up to the hype:

A: Just like the regular BORIS. Pitch black and thick. Head is very dark brown, but dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is very minimal.

S: Again, very similar to regular BORIS. Lots of oatmeal. Semi-sweet with hints of coffee and chocolate. The oak aged smell is present, but not overpowering.

T: It actually tastes a lot different than the regular BORIS. The oatmeal is very present, but the coffee and chocolate notes seem much more subdued. They are still present, but overpowered by the oaky notes. Very strong wood character with hints of whiskey. Alcohol seems much more pronounced. I think I prefer the original. This one is much more oaky and has less of the signiture Stout flavors. Actually reminds me a lot of Weyerbacher Heresy.

M: Super creamy and thick. Alcohol does rear its head in there though. Overall, very good.

D: This beer is a sipper. Very thick and rich in flavor. One bomber is more than enough for the night. I don't know why, but BORIS always puts me out. Its 9.4%, which is pretty moderate for an Imperial Stout...

Overall, this beer is very good, but not worthy of the hype. The comparison to Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is way off. This is more in the league of Weyerbacher Heresy, but this has a much thicker body. I have had better Stouts, and I have had better from Hoppin Frog, but this is still worth seeking out and buying.

07-01-2009 18:00:46 | More by OldSchoolGamer
endincolorado

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours an opaque black body with some chestnut brown at the edges. A small, quickly fading tan-colored head. Thick sheets of sticky tan lace.

Sweet, complex aromas that include wood, evident alcohol, some brown sugar, toffee and a faint bourbon scent in the background. Zero detectable hops in the nose.

Flavors include bittersweet cocoa, more toffee and brown sugar. Detectable alcohol--reminds me of bourbon, with a vague phenol/woodiness and a powerful toasted malt character. Again, very little- if any detectable hops.

As full-bodied as they come. Velvetty texture coates the mouth with a lingering sweetness.

As delicious as I'd hoped, but the ABV would knock me out if I tried drink any more than this bomber.

06-17-2009 22:51:29 | More by endincolorado
MasterSki

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to Dave for busting this out on New Beer Sunday - I promise we'll get to the Cigar City next time. Served in a Hopleaf tulip.

A - Minimal tan foam that dissipates immediately - had to check that we weren't drinking Brandy Angel's Share. Even giving a hard pour and sloshing it around didn't help. Pitch black - not even the tiniest bit of color at the edges when held up to the light. If this was a 13%+ R.I.S. I might have given it a 4.0, but for a 9.4% beer I expect at least a half finger of foam.
Edit - Upon trying batch 2, they seem to have corrected this issue. There was a finger of dark mocha foam with decent retention. Still minimal lace, though. Gonna bump it to 4.0

S - For only three months in the barrel there is a lot more whiskey in the smell than I expected (especially after the JD Blackbeerd). Unfortunately the whiskey smell is somewhat harsh and astringent - almost as if the barrels were from lower shelf swill. Lots of roast malt, some smokiness and wood, semi-sweet chocolate, a hint of vanilla. Not the hugest smell - I had to get my nose in the glass before I could really pick out the richness and depth.

T - The taste is a significant improvement, with a great balance of whiskey, coffee, sweet malts, lots of roasty bitterness, and a touch of barrel bite in the aftertaste. Much smoother and better integrated than the smell.

M - Typical awesome B.O.R.I.S. mouthfeel with tons of creamy oatmeal softness and tons of residual stickiness. Full bodied, with low carbonation, and minimal alcohol heat. Just wonderful.

D - The booze is well hidden, and the mouthfeel is delightful, but the roasty bitterness and barrel flavor are kind of palate destroying. The 7-8 oz I got to try was definitely the right serving size for this one. Great for an evening ender.

06-01-2009 17:28:52 | More by MasterSki