Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
largadeer

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours pitch black and syrupy with no head, but swirling reveals nice legs and viscosity.

The aroma is sweet and heavy on the whiskey barrel, with a backbone of turbinado sugar, caramel, milk chocolate, licorice, molasses and blackberry preserves.

Sweet and chocolatey on the tongue. Milky, creamy, big whiskey-barrel sweetness, subtle licorice. Oily and full-bodied with low carbonation. Sweet and slightly burnt finish, with lingering flavors of whiskey and bittersweet chocolate. Very good.

02-02-2010 01:38:10 | More by largadeer
westcoastbeerlvr

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

11-15-2011 16:25:36 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Gold Cap 2009 release acquired from pochman courtesy of BA Secret Santa 2009 so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter pint glass.

A: The beer is a very deep black color, with a very thin beige head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass. However the lack of head and lacing can easily be attributed to the beer’s age being 4+ years.

S: The aroma contains dark chocolate, licorice, coffee, roasted malts, oats and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out creamy with flavors of coffee and chocolate. Then a hearty roasted malt character quickly follows. There are background flavors of bourbon, licorice and dark fruit. The hops presence is very mild but brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth, a little crisp and quite viscous but a bit chalky, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice big stout to drink for a long time however I like the original version better.

03-06-2014 05:21:04 | More by TheManiacalOne
MasterSki

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Big thanks to Dave for busting this out on New Beer Sunday - I promise we'll get to the Cigar City next time. Served in a Hopleaf tulip.

A - Minimal tan foam that dissipates immediately - had to check that we weren't drinking Brandy Angel's Share. Even giving a hard pour and sloshing it around didn't help. Pitch black - not even the tiniest bit of color at the edges when held up to the light. If this was a 13%+ R.I.S. I might have given it a 4.0, but for a 9.4% beer I expect at least a half finger of foam.
Edit - Upon trying batch 2, they seem to have corrected this issue. There was a finger of dark mocha foam with decent retention. Still minimal lace, though. Gonna bump it to 4.0

S - For only three months in the barrel there is a lot more whiskey in the smell than I expected (especially after the JD Blackbeerd). Unfortunately the whiskey smell is somewhat harsh and astringent - almost as if the barrels were from lower shelf swill. Lots of roast malt, some smokiness and wood, semi-sweet chocolate, a hint of vanilla. Not the hugest smell - I had to get my nose in the glass before I could really pick out the richness and depth.

T - The taste is a significant improvement, with a great balance of whiskey, coffee, sweet malts, lots of roasty bitterness, and a touch of barrel bite in the aftertaste. Much smoother and better integrated than the smell.

M - Typical awesome B.O.R.I.S. mouthfeel with tons of creamy oatmeal softness and tons of residual stickiness. Full bodied, with low carbonation, and minimal alcohol heat. Just wonderful.

D - The booze is well hidden, and the mouthfeel is delightful, but the roasty bitterness and barrel flavor are kind of palate destroying. The 7-8 oz I got to try was definitely the right serving size for this one. Great for an evening ender.

06-01-2009 17:28:52 | More by MasterSki
feloniousmonk

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S., Oatmeal Imperial Stout, stout aged in whiskey barrels. 1 pint 6 fl. ounces (22 fluid ounces) 9.4 % Alc/Vol.

Cast in the starkest style, ebon as the night, black as the raven, with a richly roasted dark tan head, which slims down to nil in a quickness.

Aromatics: The bourbon barrel hits at once, boom! bam-a-lam! All the big boys come out swinging, all the molasses, and the cocoa, the coffee, the sweet ichor, the richness of life, it's all swimming in this. Just right.

Taste: Slick, smooth, rich, and delicious. All that wrapped up in a tidy, tasty bow. The plain and simple qualities of the luscious and lovely oatmeal stout, dipped in the everlasting wonderfulness of an imperial stout. Got To, Love. It. Deep and delicious. Did I say that already? Smooth and slick, substantive and sumptuous. And the bourbon wraps it all up, the oatmeal and imperial, swept up in the vanilla and the sweet and rich whiskey flavor. Love. It. Yum. Deelish!

10-02-2012 07:20:15 | More by feloniousmonk
drabmuh

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Shared by Matt recently (the other Matt). Thanks Matt! Pretty excited about this one, like I am with most hoppin' frog beers.

Beer is black and forms a brown head of small and medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to weak.

Aroma is sweet with a nice roast and a hint of bourbon. Smells pretty good.

I did not realize, foolishly that this was a bourbon barrel aged stout until I was in the middle of drinking it. The bourbon character grew on me a lot. It never got hot but it might have if I drank the whole 22 ounces by myself. The beer is medium bodied and has a sweetness to it. Its mildly alcoholic but doesn't finish dry. There is a slightness of chocolate and nice coffee like roast in the back. A very good beer.

07-02-2010 21:19:56 | More by drabmuh
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Got this one from Klevelandrocks, cheers Ken! Review from notes

Pours ebony with a pinky of mocha colored head. Nice oiliness to this, a bit of lacing & no head retention

S: Dark fruit & choclate, plus oakyness & raisins

T: Dark chocolate & fruit up front, along with charred grain & vanilla. Some herbal hops sneak in as this warms, along with more dark chcolate vanilla, figs, raisins & a touch of coffee. Finishes with a whisper of booze, lovely dark chcolate & a touch leaf hops

MF: Chewy & oily with trace amounts of carbonation

Drinks to easy, I like this better than the regular version BORIS, well done hopping frog!

09-22-2009 04:18:10 | More by russpowell
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

I live probably 45 minutes to an hour from Akron Youngstown area, and this beer didn't make it's way to any of the usual good locals. Even Pittsburgh just started seeing this in limited quantities. I happened to stumble on the BA Boris while on vacation in Myrtle Beach at the Piggly Wiggly at Market Common.

Popped the cap and I was welcomed with a light wisp of carbonation escaping the 22 ounce bottle. The only difference on the label is the Barrel Aged (whiskey barrels) along with faint oak barrels stacked in the background. After a vigorous pour a minimal deep mocha tan head forms but dwindles rather quickly, body is as dark as any dark beer I've ever come across, pours like used motor oil. Lacing really grips onto my Allagash chalice with each sip fine evenly webbed patterns form on all sides of my glass. I guess I have to mention that this beer has legs, give it a swirl or two and you'll see it stick to the sides of your glass.

Aromatics offer the oak barrel effects including sharply charred oak, vanilla, and a light mist of bourbon. To be honest the smell has a very moist powdered chocolate doughnut edge with an air of booziness.

Flavor comes together but I still enjoy a regular B.O.R.I.S. than this barrel aged version any day, it's rare for me that the barrel enhances the standard beer. The biggest down fall of this beer was the price tag at $15.99, charred marshmallow with strong coffee and dark chocolate roasted malt character, a soft sweetness develops much mostly due to the oatmeal additions. Big whiskey and oak barrel finish adds to the complexity but doesn't take away from the base beer much at all in the flavor. A bit of booze and sour mash whiskey edges, with more charred vanilla oak ridden notes.

Mouthfeel is full bodied full roasted malt bitterness leaves a dryness but the backend brings on a searing edge of whiskey edge alcohol, carbonation levels are very moderate due to the oak aging mellowing out the CO2.

Drinkability overall is one of the most quaffable versions of an oak aged beer I've had, much more approachable than the Voodoo Black Magick. Some versions have killed me with booze this version was more complex and retained enough characteristics from the original beer to make it work well, I love this brewery and I can't wait to drink this year's offerings at the Steel City Big Pour. Last year they had the best of with their Silk Porter through run through a Randall full of espresso beans, they also ran their standard IPA through some hops.

08-24-2009 20:04:43 | More by WVbeergeek
Slatetank

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Review # 1600 - I picked this up for my birthday tasting a month ago or so at Al's of Hampden. Poured chilled into my goblet.

A deep black look, opaque and has a thin ring of beads for a cap, the head revives when swirled. There is no lace. The smell exemplifies all that I like about Boris plus a huge bourbon nose with lots of dark coffee and mild vanilla from the wood. There are hints of burnt caramel and coffee with a dark cocoa tannic element also. The rich body and creamy malt with concentrated sugar is balanced by the alcohol from the barrel and mild astringent grain accent. The mild carbonation is good with a slick sweet finish and full feeling, rich awesome texture.

This has a smoothness very few rival and the bourbon is full on/not shy at all, the cocoa from the roasted malt and mild coffee bitterness of the dark grain is very pleasing to my senses. There is a light vanilla quality with the sweetness of the bourbon and caramel that comes in and spreads across the palate. Each sip seems better than the last with mild hops adding dimension and the bitter coffee tinge seeming to blend effortlessly with the bourbon and cocoa flavors -a great taste indeed. I love this thanks to phnphilly for bringing me another bottle to enjoy this is a great Imperial Oatmeal stout and the barrel aging has improved it more than I thought possible.

07-01-2011 16:58:49 | More by Slatetank
WesWes

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a mild barrel aroma. The patent and chocolate malts dominate. It's warm and bitter with a nice oatmeal smoothness. The taste is very nice. It has a bitter black malt character that is complimented with a bit of chocolate malt sweetness. The barrel contribution is much more pronounced in the taste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good RIS. The original is good. This one is a little more complex.

02-22-2010 23:14:31 | More by WesWes
jlindros

4.6/5  rDev +7%

I've been waiting to try this expensive but awesome looking beer for a while now. Finally found a night to do it, watching the Bruins kick the Flyers...I finally get to see if it's worth it.

A: Opens with a soft but distinct ppsssttt, but the heavy pour yields only a very small dark colored head that doesn't even cover the whole top. The beer itself is pitch black, blacker than deep space with some nice lookin legs on the sides of the glass.

N: I could smell the roast and chocolate on the pour. I dive in deeper battling back the urge to start drinking, and find the roast is not as much as I expected. It has some heavy roast but not loaded like some other RIS. The same can not be said for the chocolate, which is loaded. Lots of bakers chocolate, coco nibs, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coco crispies the cereal, etc. There's quite a bit of bourbon and oak with that, with a little vanilla. And with that is some woody esthers, like fresh saw dust almost. Then more dark malts, some crystal and caramel aromas, and hints of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Not sure if I should attempt to taste or just keep enjoying the nose, but alas I gotta. I take a mouthful, and the coffee and roast is a lot more dominant now. Still not sure heavy but def lets you know its there. Its super rich and creamy, smooth, velvety, and... umm... rich. It's very thick and syrupy and has legs on my tongue even. Then comes the chocolate, which comes in waves and feels like it's melting in my mouth (not my hand luckily). As it warms in my mouth the chocolate turns from a creamy milk chocolate to a bakers and dark chocolate and fresh melted cocoa nibs. The literal feeling of it melting in my mouth as it warms is really cool. Luscious and rich, it adds more sweet dark malts, with dark crystal and some toasty flavors. More sweetness with caramel, molasses, and gallons of malts. Some bourbon cuts through all the heavy beer (if I can call it that). A little oak and wood with all that, and even hint of vanilla as it warms. A little bitterness coming from the roasted malts but they did a really good job of keeping the bitterness at bay compared to most super heavy RIS beers. A slight hint of warming booze and taste of it.

M: Must I say it again... oh why not cause its so great, super thick and luscious, creamy, smooth, heavy and super thick, but almost no carbonation.

F: Still a little bitterness but its very little comparatively. Still semi sweet from all the heavy malts, with more lingering brown sugar and molasses, as well as tons upon tons of malts. It just sticks all over the mouth and I can practically feel it slowly dripping down with legs, like used motor oil does slowly down the oil pan. Lots of lingering luscious chocolate as well, all kinds still. Almost no more roasted or coffee flavors, just more smooth dark malts and chocolate. WIth all that is hints of lingering vanilla and a little oak, but not really any bourbon anymore either. Hints of warming booze... wait, no... yeah! I do get a little coffee now. On another sip as it slowly thinned on my mouth and evaporated, or I mean slowly fell off, I got some more lingering coffee and roast, but then was gone again. Long stickiness too as it just coats everything with a probably 1030 gravity liquid of really heavy viscosity.

Overall an amazingly tasty beer, with great smoothness and mouth feel. Drinks like it is 9.4% (which it is), some really nice malt flavors and lots of chocolate, hints of roast. Could have used a little more of teh bourbon and oak flavors, and some carbonation. Otherwise one of my new fav stouts (not top, but up there, probably top 5).

05-08-2010 01:21:28 | More by jlindros
Mora2000

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

Pours black with a light brown head. Aroma is roasted malt with a lot of bourbon and oak character. Boozy aroma. The flavor is extremely complex with roasted malt, vanilla, oak, bourbon and some sweetness. Overall, I think oak is probably the most dominant flavor. Creamy mouthfeel with low carbonation.

01-07-2010 18:06:40 | More by Mora2000
SocalKicks

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

06-07-2013 15:22:31 | More by SocalKicks
mdfb79

4.43/5  rDev +3%

From 11/25/10 notes. Did a side by side tasting of BORIS, BA BORIS, and DORIS with my brother and dad. Served from a 22 oz. bottle, 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a dark black, with almost no head or carbonation. Showing much less head and carbonation than both BORIS and DORIS.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, and chocolate. I felt it had less chocolate in smell than BORIS and DORIS.

t - Tastes strongly of bourbon, and also some oak, vanilla, dark fruit, hops, and chocolate.

m - Full bodied and low carbonation. Smooth and a sipper for sure.

d - I thought this was a good RIS, but ranked third to me compared to the other two in the tasting. I felt it had a lot of characteristics in the the smell and taste that BORIS had, but that the bourbon really overpowered them and muted them a bit. While still enjoyable because I love bourbon, I didn't feel it was as balanced as BORIS. Would certainly have again and recommend, but wouldn't seek out considering BORIS is always on the shelves.

Original Score = 4 4 4 4 4
___
6/30/11 updated. Had a 2 year old bottle of BA BORIS side by side with BORIS, DORIS, and BORIS Royale on 06/25/11 and BA BORIS BLEW the other 3 out of the water. This beer with 2 years on it is amazing, and the bourbon really mellows a bit, making it a can't miss. My suggestion is get 2 or 3 bottles and forget about them in your cellar for 2 years.

Updated Score = 4 4.5 4.5 4 4.5

11-26-2010 15:23:24 | More by mdfb79
oline73

11-16-2011 03:53:47 | More by oline73
StonedTrippin

Colorado

this didn't amaze me the way others said it would, but I really liked it. I don't know how much time this spends in barrels, but it seems lighter in all the woody charcoal bourbon properties than so barrel aged stouts. the oatmeal is nice in this, gives it a richness of feel and a smooth texture, as well as a moderate sweetness that all really work well. as for the stout itself, its big and roasty, very minimal bitterness, milk chocolate notes, and a massive body. smoothed out and soft on the palate, even nicer as it warms. limited alcohol coming through, maybe the barrel helps that too. its a well refined product, not skewed one way or the other. hoppin frog has a number of delicious stouts, and while this one stands out to me a little less than some reviews suggest it should, its still superbly well done, and one that is probably still worth the roughly 18 dollar price tag.

12-06-2013 18:07:17 | More by StonedTrippin
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Sampled February 2010
A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces an almost four-finger thick, richly browned head. The beer is very dark, almost perfectly black color that is quite opaque when held up to the light. The head manages to leave some spotty lacing on the sides of the glass as the head subsides. The aroma smells of vanillin and sweetened toasted coconut up front. This leads into a richly toasted malt character that leans towards barley husk notes, sweetened dark cocoa, and a cream laden, sweetened, French roast coffee drink. Interestingly enough this beer is not nearly as complex as I expected from a Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Stout; I do like that this is very smooth and well integrated as the Bourbon character has not run rough-shod and hot over the aromatic profile.

The beer tastes quite sweet up front and finishes with a touch of Bourbon spice, acrid burnt malt, and a spicy carbonic bite that is a bit unexpected given that this isn't highly carbonated. Flavors of vanillin interweave with rich toasted coconut notes and the dark, chocolate like malt character to make this seem quite a bit like a rich desert. The body is rich and viscous as it lingers fatly on the palate without being cloying. As the beer warms up it loses some of the sweetness that was almost too much initially. This helps to bring out a rich, savory malt character that brings out a sort of salty, sort of smoky, definitely umami character.

A quite enjoyable beer whose biggest flaw is that it is perhaps a bit simplistic. This definitely needs to be drunk on the warm side of cool where the savory quality becomes noticed and helps to boost the complexity. The most pleasant part of this beer is that it doesn't get overwhelmed by the Bourbon Barrel aging, which is a huge relief to me.

03-20-2010 22:52:38 | More by Gueuzedude
mactrail

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Silver cap on the 22 oz bottle. $17 in Denver.

Holy cow! A gigantic crazy beer. No much to look at, unless you really like used motor oil. Slight sourness I associate with black patent malt. I have rarely encountered a more alcoholic-tasting beer-- I'd believe it was 16%. Just sweet enough to enhance the malt. Just bitter enough to give it some balance and add to the long ride of the aftertaste. Whisky taste is sensational, along with a little vanilla from the oak. Fruity flavors add to the interest, more like dates and apple butter.

If you want to taste a world class mega-stout, here's one. A good example of the power of malted barley.

05-30-2011 04:15:44 | More by mactrail

07-04-2014 15:54:12 | More by GClarkage
kojevergas

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard black pressure cap and appealing fun label acquired at a Binny's in Chicago and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its reputation and ratings, though I wasn't blown away by regular B.O.R.I.S. "Stout Aged in Whiskey Barrels." 9.4% ABV confirmed. 60 IBU.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger rich dark tan colour head of nice cream, great thickness, and pretty good (4+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black. Opaque; nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I dig the luscious head; it's quite appealing. Right on the money for the style, overall. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Whiskey is quite pungent here. Spicy hot whiskey, dark malts, cream, caramel, smooth oats, chocolate malt. The whiskey hides the oats; they were much more prominent in the non barrel aged variant. Woody barrel notes. Roast. Dark fruits - dark cherry, maybe some plum. Sweet, sticky. Vanilla. Not finding any coffee. An appealing aroma that adds a nice little something to the base beer with barrel aging. There's motivation for barrel aging here; I like it. I'm concerned about balance, but I'm looking forward to trying it. An aroma that isn't quite moderate in strength, but is well above average whilst retaining subtlety. Intriguing. I don't detect any yeast or hop character.

T: More sweet than anticipated. Not as hot as the aroma might suggest. Lots of chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, and a bit of cream round out the body. Subtle whiskey notes hang about in the background, surging through a bit more on the finish - which doesn't exactly encourage the next sip. Not as roasty as I'd like, but there is detectable roast - which is more than I can say about many inferior imperial stouts. No floral or yeast character comes through. The sweetness bothers me after a while and definitely reduces drinkability. The chocolate notes are a highlight. I want more of the starchy oats like in the regular BORIS. Dark fruits never quite hit home, instead adding unnecessary sweetness without any real vibrant flavour. It's decently balanced, but its failure to emphasize any of its notes makes it come off a bit muted - or at least timid. The whiskey aging here is well executed, but there's an intrinsic heat to the whiskey. Little oak comes through but I do get some vanilla. A dash of spiciness from the whiskey. It's a tasty little stout, and I can see why it might have been the dog's bollocks in 2008.

Mf: Smooth, wet, sticky. Rolling oats add a nice smoothness without being too slick. Good carbonation. Nicely thick. Nice creaminess; it could do with more. Good body.

Dr: Drinkable in spite of its slightly present ABV. I've certainly had higher ABV stouts that hid their alcohol better. It's a sipper, but that's to be expected. I probably wouldn't bother with it in spite of its quality simply because while it's good, it's not exceptional. And at this price point, I can definitely get an exceptional stout. I look forward to trying more beers from Hoppin' Frog, but this didn't blow me away. I wouldn't mind trying it aged. I'd like to see them amp up the roast and amp up the oats. In my opinion, the oats are what set this imperial stout apart.

High B

Gets better as it warms.

04-02-2013 02:59:07 | More by kojevergas