Join our email list →

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery
Ohio, United States | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 596 | Hads: 2,293
4.67/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage according to store label. White cap of that even means anything.

A: A viscous dark brown that matches the color of the brown glass from which it pours. Opaque. Dark brown head that disappears. No lacing. Engine oil. No visible carbonation.

S: Waves of smooth bourbon escape from the bottle and glass. Intense roasted malt and sweet notes of fresh vanilla bean and milk chocolate.

T: Bourbon, oatmeal, figs and coke. The finish is moderately dry with a hint of bitter coffee and cocoa.

M: Full bodied. Velvet. Real slick and smooth. The booze tingles and lingers for a bit. Mildly carbonated.

O: Big flavors. Smooth throughout and really opens as it warms. Never too boozy and never too sweet. A slight bitterness in the finish that keeps it even keeled

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a Bruery snifter, thanks to my fiance Pam for the tasy gift! I've had this several times, but never to review. Drank from chilled to room temp.

A- Pours a dark black, and a thin dark brown head which quickly dies to a tiny ring around the edge of the glass. No light gets through the beer once it's in the glass. Pours decent but not super thick. Some lacing, pretty but not earth shattering.

S- I can smell the whiskey from two feet away. The typical oak and vanilla sweet bourbon are faded, this smells like more straight whiskey. as it warms, some muted bourbon tones do come out (mmmm, much better). There is some great smelling coffee behind the whiskey. Some sweetness comes out, some brown sugar and some really good malts. the initial whiskey isn't great (to me), but the undertones are!

T- Big whiskey profile flavor, but a little more muted than the smell might suggest. Good dark coffee comes second, really tasty. The beer is sweet, but not cloying. the brown sugar and roast malts come through, but after the smooth whiskey spiked-and-oaked coffee fades. Flavors stay in the corner of my mouth for a while.

M- Little Carbonation, but it does have a little tingle on the tip of my tongue. Not thick enough for my taste, but not really thin either. solid stout, but i wish it were a bigger feel. There is a building warmness from alcohol, but less than you would think from the booze smell.

O- Great flavor (actually much better than i remember). the smell is slightly overbearing, but improves a lot as it warms. I really do like it, i just wish this beer was a little "bigger". I would love it thicker, more malt and oats, and maybe even a little more alcohol (c'mon OH, change the law!)

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Rich and complex mix of bittersweet chocolate, coffee, and a bit of caramel. Bourbon is there just enough but not as prominent as other BBA beers I've head. Rounds out with some vanilla notes. Think they hit it just right. Silky smooth and mouth coating. Really liked this one and hope to be able to find somewhere this season.

4.01/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a heavy thick blackness with a strong barrel nose to it. Has a small coffee colored head. Well this beer is exactly what it says it is. Imperial oatmeal stout in a barrel. Can taste all of that at separate times.

This beer was all the hype a couple months ago. With another release in the close future, I decided to crack open my last bottle. Lets see if it lives up to the hype:

A: Just like the regular BORIS. Pitch black and thick. Head is very dark brown, but dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is very minimal.

S: Again, very similar to regular BORIS. Lots of oatmeal. Semi-sweet with hints of coffee and chocolate. The oak aged smell is present, but not overpowering.

T: It actually tastes a lot different than the regular BORIS. The oatmeal is very present, but the coffee and chocolate notes seem much more subdued. They are still present, but overpowered by the oaky notes. Very strong wood character with hints of whiskey. Alcohol seems much more pronounced. I think I prefer the original. This one is much more oaky and has less of the signiture Stout flavors. Actually reminds me a lot of Weyerbacher Heresy.

M: Super creamy and thick. Alcohol does rear its head in there though. Overall, very good.

D: This beer is a sipper. Very thick and rich in flavor. One bomber is more than enough for the night. I don't know why, but BORIS always puts me out. Its 9.4%, which is pretty moderate for an Imperial Stout...

Overall, this beer is very good, but not worthy of the hype. The comparison to Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is way off. This is more in the league of Weyerbacher Heresy, but this has a much thicker body. I have had better Stouts, and I have had better from Hoppin Frog, but this is still worth seeking out and buying.

4.46/5  rDev +4.7%

Gold cap poured into snifter.

Pours like used motor oil no real head or retention. Smells of warm vanilla and oak. Taste is a really nice balance between bourbon and imperial stout that nice roasty maltyness meets an amazing bourbon barrel. Mouthfeel is so creamy and smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. Overall amazing beer espically for the 9.99 price tag I don't think this can be beat.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Snifter

A - thick black pour. Looks yummy

S - lots of bourbon and vanilla present. Some roast as well.

T - tons of bourbon. Very yummy and then some roast in the middle with more bourbon on the back end with a hint of black coffee.

M - fairly heavy but not overpowering. Quite delicious

O - ordered offline for a high price ($18), but it was great to try. If I ever saw in store I would certainly buy.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

bomber split with my best friend while he was home for christmas..batch two

a-pitch black...no light penetration and no head...little khaki lacing on top of the beer....small tight clollar on the edge..no bubbles in my glass but his had them stuck to the sides

s-sweet whisky and chocolate..roasted coffee and slight toffee...

t-roasty malt up front..some bitter coffee rushes in before the whisky really takes hold...whisky dominates in the middles and pulls out just as the bitter coffee comes back in and a bit tannic...finishes dry

m-creamy smooth from the oats...a little boozy...warms the mouth and the tummy when it goes down....almost chewy but not quite...carb is good for a barrel aged brew...

d-could split a couple bombers of this in a night and not feel bad...the booziness is a little distracting but overall this is quite a brew

nicely done and not over the top...the oatmeal aspect i find interesting with the barrel aging...a true winner imo

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottle poured into snifter

Pours a dark black with a slight brownish head that disappears quickly.

Smell is slightly sweet with some hints of bourbon.

Taste is dominated by the bourbon. Slight hints of vanilla with some sweetness.

Good bourbon flavor that mellows out a bit as the beer warms up. Nice to have another bourbon barrel as it is almost impossible to get BCS in my neck of the woods.

3.66/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Huge props to mwa423 for the FREE pour. Pours motor oil black and extremely thick with almsot no head at all. What head there is comes out a light brown. The aroma is a lot of malt and a lot of coffee. Not as sweet as I'd expected. The taste is way more coffee than I expected. For being barrel-aged it doesn't have near the whiskey aroma or taste that I expected. The mouthfeel is very thick, even for a 9.4% beer. all in all I'd say I'm dissapointed. For something this higly rated I'm dissapointed.

4.39/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This bottle had a gold cap. I'm assuming that's from a later batch than what's listed here in the info section.

Appearance - Poured into my Stone IRS balloon/snifter glass. The head on this one is miniscule, not even half a finger high, and mocha brown in color. Low head is to be expected from the alcohol and barrel aging. Lacing is also very little. Color of the brew is black as the night sky when the moon and stars are hidden from sight behind dark clouds.

Smell - Up front, I'm getting mostly wonderful Bourbon aromas. Straight Bourbon smell that's quite noticeable and enjoyable (to me) but not overpowering, smooth vanilla, oak/wood, subtle Bourbon spice/alcohol, brown sugar, and sweetness. Behind that I get some rich chocolate syrup and dark chocolate, plenty of roasted malts, coffee notes, bittersweet overtones, and pleasant notes of dark fruit. Aroma is pretty complex overall, but I would say it's dominated by the Bourbon barrel aging. I find it wonderful, others might not.

Taste - This is a great tasting beer in my opinion! Plenty of the Bourbon flavor (but not too much), vanilla and what I can only describe as the taste of marshmallows, sweetness, brown sugar, a bit of spice from the Bourbon and from the alcohol, oakiness, chocolate syrup taste (in a good way) like in the nose, coffee, rich roasted malts, a bittersweet quality (that's towards the finish), and notes of dark fruits. Bourbon barrel aging is still the star here (and I like it).

Mouthfeel - Creamy and luscious consistency. Carbonation is pretty light. Body is closer to full. The finish is actually pretty smooth and medium length. Nicely done mouthfeel as well.

Overall - If you're a fan of subtler Bourbon barrel aging in beers, this one might turn you off a bit. I think it's pretty darn amazing. And it's not too overpowering, but it is nice and prominent. I don't know what it is about those Bourbon barrels, but I love my stouts to be aged in them. I'm honestly not even much of a Bourbon drinker, but I love the aroma of straight Bourbon and what the barrels can do to some good beer. I've heard or seen a few people compare this to BCBS, so I'm quietly looking forward to trying that as I've gotten some recently from some very generous people. And speaking of one of those generous persons, thanks SO much Tom/trxxpaxxs for this bottle of Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. (among other things) in the NOOB BIF Round 5! REALLY appreciate it Tom!

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a murky black body with a tan sexy head! I love the look of a stout like this.

immediately smells of cococa, coffee, and whiskey fill the air.

the taste is hot with tastes ala the smell. I will say however the whiskey is def there and more notable than any other BA brew ive had before!

Very drinkable for the ABV but this brew puts a hurt on ones wallet at 18 bucks.

Overall a very good beer but I'll let my other bottle sit for a while.

NOTE: the day after I had a terrible headache. This was the ONLY beer I had consumed that night!

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance - Blacker than most beers. But little to no head zero lacing. Some decent legs though.

Smell - Vanilla and oak come through first, but that might be my mind searching for the barrel effect. Some dark chocolate is buried in there as well.

Taste - The great taste of "regular" BORIS complemented with smoky oak flavors, rounded out by vanilla accents. Definitely a more complete taste than "regular" BORIS.

Mouthfeel - The highlight of the beer. So thick, so creamy, so smooth. Not watery whatsoever. DFH Palo Santo Marron comes to mind.

Drinkability - Thick and robust and highly alocholic. And WAY too expensive.

3.7/5  rDev -13.1%

Batch 1 from the brewery, reviewed from notes. Thanks to Seth for hooking this one up a while back.

A- Pure black, with a dark chocolatey colored head. The head falls of quickly, and there is no lacing at all.

S- Smeet and boozy. Some notes of vanilla, oak and booze, but really nothing crazy.

T- Nice and sweet. I get notes of chocolate and coffee primarily. Some hits of whiskey/oak but the booziness is the most noticeable addition.

M- Thinner and lighter than I remember regular BORIS being. Good carbonation though, and good flavor.

D-It was quite smooth, and easy to drink. Definitely didn't seem like a 9.5% beer.

The light mouthfeel and lack of barrel character were somewhat dissappointing. Not bad, but I prefer regular BORIS.

3.91/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into my Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: Pours virtually pitch black. A force pour yielded barely a half-finger of dark, dark mocha head, with virtually no retention. Minimal lacing. If this beer had any head retention whatsoever, it would look just about perfect.

Smell: Bourbon, soy sauce, chocolate. Some alcohol. Surprisingly muted, overall.

Taste: Bourbon is the dominant flavor, but it blends well with chocolatey, sweet malts. A slightly unpleasant soy sauce-like flavor is hidden in there, but its mild. No hiding the alcohol in this one, and actually tastes boozier than the 9.4%. There is almost a sour note that comes through in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Perfect. Incredibly thick and creamy, and perfectly carbonated.

Drinkability: A definite sipper, and one that would be better to split with a friend. I like bourbon-barrel aged beers, but this is one where i like the original better - especially considering how exceptional normal B.O.R.I.S. is.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Gold cap version. Poured at cellar temperature into my Founder's snifter.

A: Deep, dense, dark chocolately brown. No light gets through. Thick, khaki colored head. Some lacing.

S: Chocolate sweetness with slight alcoholic overtones.

T: I immediately notice that this one lacks the strong whiskey overtones in the taste that I have come to love from many other highly rated BA stouts. Not terribly different than your standard oatmeal stout.

M: Heavy bodied. Medium carbonation. This one is missing the sweet, syrupy stickiness I love from BA stouts.

O: A very good stout, however it just does not stack up against the best.

3.9/5  rDev -8.5%

bottle courtesy of photomike

S: chocolate, vanilla, some light booze

A: Dark brn w/purple tinge. Minimal head

T: Same as smell but w/roastiness and booziness. Fruitiness gone, whiskey, Bitter burnt finish.

M: Medium. Not as smooth as regular BORIS

D: Drinkability is ok, but some boozey presence and not really smooth with the burntness, booze, and oak popping out in places.

Overall: tried next to regular BORIS, I preferred the regular version just a bit.

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter...

A--BLACK. Head is limited but good looking brew.

S--Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey. It is barrel aged, and you can tell in a big way with this brew.

T--Bourbon comes on strong in this one just as it did in the nose, you better like the it strong, or this will be over the top.

M--Silky smooth feel to this one.

D--Heavy, I would have trouble drinking a whole bottle myself, but I am going to have at it. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Body is black as black can get. The head was a nice cocoa but didn't last very long. Lacing is very sticky. Plenty of chocolate and whisky in the nose. I also gets hints of cherry, molasses and vanilla. The bourbon is not overpowering in the least which is great. The whiskey is quite prominent in the taste along with the sweet graininess of the oatmeal. Dark raisiny chocolate is also strong. Carbonation is nicely toned down with barely a hint of alcohol warmth. One of the fewer barrel aged stouts I had and it doesn't fail to impress. Not quite up to KBS and BCS standards but it is getting very close.

3.04/5  rDev -28.6%

3rd Batch: Green Cap

Appearance: Very viscous and dark. No head retention whatsoever. Although it has very light lacing.

Smell: Alcohol heat, Whisky, Oak, along with light notes of Dark Chocolate and Vanilla.

Taste: Huge notes of Whisky barrel, its almost overpowering. The whisky notes hide the faint echos of dark chocolate and mocha. I am unimpressed with the taste in this beer. I am not sure which barrels were used but it picked up a lot of the harshness from the barrel.

Mouthfeel: It has an amazing mouthfeel which fully coats the tongue and has a very rich thickness.

Overall: This beer was ok, I would prefer a regular BORIS and a DORIS to this one. I think if it sat on the barrels longer it would smooth out a bit better.

4.35/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours an inky black with an obvious thickness. Minimal head at pour but all carbonation disappears after a minute or two. The nose at first is vanilla and bourbon with a noticeable alcohol. Again, waiting a bit the alcohol clears and makes room for some toasted malts. The flavor is divine. This thing is all bourbon and vanilla on the tongue. An touch of alcohol bite warms the mouth and the flavors linger like custard. The mouthfeel is medium-thick and very pleasant. This is one of the best balanced barrel aged stouts I've had, and has one of the most complete flavor profiles.

4.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Superb beer! A beautiful blend of flavors ... no particular taste screams out ... nicely done, Hoppin' Frog! It pours deep black ... probably the darkest beer I've ever encountered. The hops provide a nice, delicate finish to each mouthful. Everything you'd expect from an Imperial Stout and more!!

4.33/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into big glass.

Appearance: Dark, thick - motor oil comes to mind - liquid which leads to a deep mocha colored head that rapidly dissipates and leaves no lacing along the side of the glass. Holding this sucker up to the light, I can't tell if there are any bubbles because it's so dark.

Smell: Oh man. This reminds me a lot of BCBS at first sniff. Very bourbon-heavy, but lots of vanilla and caramel notes as well. Pretty complex nose overall. If this tastes even close to how it smells... I'm going to be in for a GREAT night.

Taste: Holllyyy bourbon, Batman. This has got quite the punch to it up-front! Definitely get the alcohol screaming through in this one, but it doesn't overpower the vanilla/chocolate/coffee/oat notes that persist as I drink this baby.

Mouthfeel: Has a little bit of a lingering bitterness to it. Not an alcohol or bourbon aftertaste, but more of a coffee taste. Very viscous in the mouth, but clean as it goes down. Pretty impressive.

Overall: I'd consider getting one of these bad boys to age, but as others have noted... it's pricey ($17 for a 22oz bottle at Ray's). I may have to get it next time I run to either Woodman's or DiscLiq, since I think it's cheaper there. Definitely interested in seeing how this ages, though, and how that bourbon-forward taste evolves.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

This brew poured a dark, pitch black color. It shows bits of dark brown highlights. It had a nice ¼ in cap that was nice bubbly brown color, that falls to a nice foamy ring. A nice, spotted lacing remains.

The aroma on this one is a nice punch of sweetness. There is a nice dark chocolate, cocoa aroma at the front, with a hint of vanilla as it sits for a few minutes. The end of this brew has bit of a coffee touch and a nice hit of bourbon on the end aroma nodes.

Wow! This brew packs a punch when you take the first sip of this brew. There is a whole lot of complexity in this brew. It starts with a sweet, rich chocolate flavor that sinks into a nice, mild, but warming bourbon flavor. It then follows with some great flavors in the taste buds, such as coffee, vanilla, caramel, and more. Giving it a nice sweet flavor. But as it sits, the dark roasted flavors and even some espresso flavors hit and balance this brew out.

This brew is a nice full bodied brew, with a little, but nice amount of carbonation. As listed in the flavor, the alcohol warmth comes up and gives this brew a bit in the mouthful. It is overall smooth, and has a nice oily character.

This was a very smooth brew. The barrel aging on this brew, was done very well. Its not over done, and still has great flavors and complexity. This was a great pick up, and I will surely have to seek more Hoppin Frog Brews. Thanks Keith.

4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

1st Batch. Bomber into a pint.

A - Pours black with a half inch mocha head that faded to a whispy layer and ring around. No real lacing.

S - Dark malts, dark fruit, vanilla hint of alcohol.

T - Vanilla and mild bourbon. Some warmth in the finish.

M - Smooth. Medium carbonation. Bourbon is not to heavy, pretty well done.

D - Pretty good for the ABV