Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)

PthPndr, Dec 18, 2011

UNCCTDawg, Dec 15, 2011

taitlifto, Dec 14, 2011

Hoagie1973, Dec 13, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz. Bottle poured into my Duvel tulip. Red Cap – Batch 5.

Appearance: Pours black with little to no head, only a ring; however, lots of good lacing.

Smell: Roasted coffee and chocolate with really nice bourbon and vanilla notes.

Taste: The vanilla and oaky flavors hit first followed with a really nice oatmeal stout backdrop. The oatmeal, chocolate and coffee flavors are all in almost perfect balance with the effects of the barrel aging. This is a delicious beer.

Mouthfeel: Very, very creamy, yet not cloying at all.

Overall: Excellent stout, the only drawback is the price ($18 for a bomber).

BobZ, Dec 13, 2011

sobeleg, Dec 11, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to TCGoalie for hooking our tasting group up with this delicious beer. Enjoyed with TCGoalie, zoso1967, and TCHopCraver.

Appearance: Pours an impenetrable brown/black with little to no head. There is a ring of mocha foam around the edges, however, that hangs around throughout drinking. Dark bubbles can be summoned by agitation and leave interesting designs on the surface.

Smell: Awesome smell, with dark chocolate, lots of oatmeal, vanilla, coffee, oak, and bourbon. Very creamy smelling as well. One of the better smelling barrel aged stouts I can remember enjoying.

Taste: Flavor is equally amazing and really smooth. Lots of dark chocolate, coffee, charred oak, caramel, marshmallow, vanilla, and just a hint of bourbon. A glass full of roasty toasty deliciousness. Everyone at our tasting party REALLY enjoyed this one.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, adequate carbonation, and well-balanced. I would have liked a tad more body, but it is a very small ding in what is a very stupendous beer.

Overall: If I see this again, I will buy it in a heartbeat. One of the best barrel aged stouts I have ever had.

BuckyFresh, Dec 10, 2011

mhaugo, Dec 10, 2011

Desaparecido, Dec 09, 2011

BubbaBeerMan, Dec 08, 2011

ZacharyJ, Dec 06, 2011

lnashsig, Dec 05, 2011

jmadrigal2, Dec 05, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Reviewed from notes. 22 oz bottle from Batch 3 (green cap) poured into a snifter...

A - Pours black but not quite completely as there are brown hues when held to the light. A mocha colored head forms about half of a finger thick then recedes to a collar.

S - Roasted malts and chocolate fudge come first, followed by some light coconut and vanilla. Ever so slight whiskry presence mixes nicely with the rest of the nose. Some light toffee and caramel make a nice appearance as well.

T - Very well integrated barrel here as the whiskey and oak mix and complement instead of standing out and drowing out everything else. Rich chocolate fudge, toffee, caramel, dark fruits, vanilla and oak mix nicely with what whiskey is present.

M - I love the mouthfeel of BORIS. This is no different. Medium to heavier bodied with a nice thickness to it (perhaps alightly less thick than regular BORIS). Just a bit of carbonation makes it nice and creamy.

O - BORIS is one of my favorite beers of all time. This is a great barrel aged version, although I feel the base beer is slightly muddled. With that said, the barrel integration is really well done here. I will always revisit this one.

KAP1356, Dec 04, 2011

bespin15, Dec 04, 2011

kenm2118, Dec 03, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Nitrogenx, Dec 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bottle into snifter. Batch 3, green cap, received in one of my very first trades a long time ago.

A: Pours black with a finger of dense and fluffy dark woody brown head that quickly faded into a thin film.
S: Very rich and complex nose. Roasted coconut, vanilla, and chocolate fudge stand out the most.
T: Follows the nose. I have not had this beer fresh but I can say that I’m glad I’ve waited so long to drink this. The flavors are very rich and thick. I get notes of vanilla, roasted coconut, chocolate, spicy whisky, and just a touch of sweet molasses and oak. The finish is lightly sweet and the aftertaste has very roasted flavors.
M: The alcohol is fairly muted but there is still a little bit of warmth to the finish. The body is very thick and fluffy and the mouthfeel is very decant and fluffy. Velvety carbonation.
O: This really impressed me. Like I said, I never had it fresh but this seems to have aged very nicely. I’m glad I put off drinking it for so long. Love the roasted coconut flavors. Thank you to the generous BA who sent me this ages ago.

scottfrie, Dec 02, 2011