Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Black cap. Many thanks to tat3dhllblly for this!

Black as night, with a good finger of dark mocha colored head. Fades quickly, no lacing. Just looks like sludge in the glass.

Good bit of whiskey, but it blends well and is not overpowering. Nice roasted/burnt aromas and some coffee and chocolate sweetness. Bits of dark fruits and molasses round it out.

Naturally the whiskey notes are there, but they don't overwhelm, which is what I love about -bal Stouts. Good chocolate, coffee, sweet dark fruits, roasted malts, and syrup. Hint of bitterness too, hard to pick were it can from though.

Feel is good and full, a tad lingering, and creamy

Drinkability is solid. This is a big beer, but it's drinkable. The whole bomber will be cake.

EgadBananas, Jan 12, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3%

22oz bottle, mid 2010 batch (black cap). Served at cellar temp.

Pours thick black with a one finger dark brown head that recedes to a wispy cap and good ring, leaves some nice spots of lacing behind.

Aroma is predominately whiskey but there is also some vanilla, chocolate, oak, coffee, dark roasted malt, some raisins & anise. Very good strength (particularly the whiskey).

Flavor is more balanced than the aroma, starts with a great chocolate component, very rich, good espresso/coffee notes, a nice layer of whiskey, vanilla, and oak, underneath there is some dark fruits and anise. Alcohol is there but well integrated for such a big beer. Fair sweetness too.

Mouthfeel is full and very creamy, I love the mouthfeel on an oatmeal stout! Low carbonation.

Man oh man is this good. I love BORIS and this is a great counterpart. While the whiskey overpowers the nose it meshes extremely well in the flavor. Rich and decadent, a treat!

elgiacomo, Jan 11, 2011

I poured this stiff beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black and poured a very thin head that vaporized quickly. Most likely from the high alcohol. There was more of a chocolate hit than coffee on this one but the hoppyness was too much. I don't want a hoppy stout and the alcohol burned up any great taste left on the palate.I will not buy again.

Minkybut, Jan 07, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Superb beer! A beautiful blend of flavors ... no particular taste screams out ... nicely done, Hoppin' Frog! It pours deep black ... probably the darkest beer I've ever encountered. The hops provide a nice, delicate finish to each mouthful. Everything you'd expect from an Imperial Stout and more!!

Vierenner, Dec 31, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a snifter...

A--BLACK. Head is limited but good looking brew.

S--Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey. It is barrel aged, and you can tell in a big way with this brew.

T--Bourbon comes on strong in this one just as it did in the nose, you better like the it strong, or this will be over the top.

M--Silky smooth feel to this one.

D--Heavy, I would have trouble drinking a whole bottle myself, but I am going to have at it. Highly recommended.

garbercury, Dec 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

138th review on BA
Bottle to pint.
Silver cap

App- This beer was black, oily and viscous. Had a nice one finger head that was unexpected since the regular BORIS had 0 on it. Had some nice ruby highlights on it as well.

Smell- A very potent mix of chocolate, malt and some berries. Very dark berries make it a sweet smeller. I really enjoyed the aroma.

Taste- Tastes like a good barleywine to me. Quite good. It's not at all what I thought it was going to drink like. Very berry like with the booze and barrel flavors on it.

Mouth- A lot more crisp and refreshing that the normal BORIS was as well. I'm stummped but its so good.

Drink- Really get the booze as it warms, but this was a very good beer.

FosterJM, Dec 26, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Did a vertical of this earlier this year B1, 2, 3, and 5. I must say that this ages amazingly. The B1 was so full of chocolate and coffee cake aroma and flavor, and very very smooth.

Aged this is a 4.75+ beer, fresh it falls closer to 4.33, which was my initial rating a couple of years ago. I have since scored this in the middle to reflect both.

Full review of a fresh bottle below.
___

Bottle says that this beer is aged in whiskey barrels.

I poured this from a height I would normally not even attempt and still got barely any head off of this beer. What was there was dark and roasty espresso colored. The words to described the body of this brew are oily, thick, and dense. I really would have enjoyed a solid head for aroma and lacing purposes, but otherwise this was exactly what one ought to expect from a big RIS.

I got aromas of sweet alcohol - old, wood-aged whiskey and white rum. Lots of oakiness to it. Chocolate malt and roasted barley then push past to fill your head with the essence of milk chocolate, raisins, and coffee. As the beer warmed I then began to get a nice mustiness and mild vanilla.

My first reaction to sipping this was that it is SMOOTH AS HELL!! (Exactly what I wrote in my notes). This is much smoother than regular B.O.R.I.S. I have since come to the conclusion that oats and whiskey make an excellent combo in a heavy beer like this.

Bitter roasted malts lend a a slight char flavor. Sweet oakiness and whiskey are warming deep in the throat. Nevertheless, this beer has far less of a dominating liquor profile than many of its other BA counterparts. Then again, maybe it just takes a hell of a lot of whiskey to significantly alter the dominating presence of B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher!

Mouthfeel is warming from the alcohol. Once again - smooth as all hell, not chewy in the slightest despite the thick viscosity of the beer (not to mention the insane chewiness of the original beer). Slick on the palate but not overly sticky. Slightly dry oaky aftertaste.

Drinkability is wonderful. I consumed the bomber by myself gladly and with far greater speed than I expected. But, this beer is not cheap, roughly twice the cost of regular BORIS. The alcohol is not unapparent, but it is very well balanced.

Spider889, Dec 21, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

22oz bottle. Pours am opaque black with a small tan head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is vinous chocolate malts, dark fruits (fig), some coffee and oats and some bitter bourbon.

The flavor is sweet vinous dark fruits with some chocolate and a bitter finish. The whiskey comes out throughout - accentuating the vinous fruits and making the bitter finish a bit medicinal. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, still a nice imperial stout, but the barrel aging detracts rather than adds for me. It's a lot more alcoholic and vinous and a bit medicinal, and it loses the coffee, fudge, and oat notes that were nice in the original.

Beaver13, Dec 11, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -14%

pours pitch black with a 1/4 finger tan head that faded fast and left no lacing

smell - wheres the bourbon???? all about the oats and some sweet chocolate with a little fruit

taste - no need to age this one - while the bourbon is not overpowering its there and blends well with the malt and hint of booze you get - main flavors again are the oatmeal chocolate - call me crazy but the booze and bourbon give off a berry flavor

mouthfeel - thick low carbonation but not flat

drinkability - good flavors but 1/2 this bomber was just too much for me - maybe i should have started and ended with this beer

jsh420, Dec 06, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

I've received a couple of these bottles. I forget who gave me the first one, but this one was from Hayesez. Thanks, Erik!

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A - Pitch black with just the faintest of red hues on the edge as I hold my glass to the light. About a half finger width of mocha colored head. It leaves some nice lacing on my glass, though the head doesn't last very long.

S - Chocolate, a touch of otameal, some whiskey, and something a little weird on the finish. I can't tell if it's like a light rubber (think new tires in a tire shop) or new car smell. It's faint, but it's there. I'd like more whiskey, barrel, and more stout characteristics to come through

T - Huh. Uhm, some oatmel stout characteristics. Roast, hints of oatmeal, dark chocolates. And then that weird thing I smelled is present in the taste. I can't place what it is, but it just kind of tastes...well, off. Aha! It's like a cheap vodka taste that comes through in a vodka cran. It's a harsh boozy taste. I like my beer with a bite, but not a cheap alcohol tasting bite. We'll see how this does as it warms up.

M - Creamy, heavy body, minimal carbonation. This is just about where it should be.

D - I'll finish the bomber no problem, though I remembered my first bottle being a lot better. This one is just harsh, not smooth. Maybe I need to try another to give it one last fair shot.

Kaiser81, Dec 05, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Near black pour with the faintest hint of dark brown. Thin, thin sheen of dark chocolate head. Not much to retain and no lace. Very nice color, though.

Strong alcohol and bourbon in the nose. Reminds me of a spiked cup of mocha, but with a strong malt flavor as well.

Very strong bourbon note up front and lingering into the finish. Nice pine hop presence in the finish, underneath. Fiery flavor on the back of the throat from the alcohol and hops. Oak, vanilla, bit of sherry, and lots of bourbon.

Feel is slightly thinner than expected, but not disappointing.

Surprisingly easy to drink as intense as the flavors are. I would easily get another bottle of this.

beer2day, Dec 04, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

This brew poured a dark, pitch black color. It shows bits of dark brown highlights. It had a nice ¼ in cap that was nice bubbly brown color, that falls to a nice foamy ring. A nice, spotted lacing remains.

The aroma on this one is a nice punch of sweetness. There is a nice dark chocolate, cocoa aroma at the front, with a hint of vanilla as it sits for a few minutes. The end of this brew has bit of a coffee touch and a nice hit of bourbon on the end aroma nodes.

Wow! This brew packs a punch when you take the first sip of this brew. There is a whole lot of complexity in this brew. It starts with a sweet, rich chocolate flavor that sinks into a nice, mild, but warming bourbon flavor. It then follows with some great flavors in the taste buds, such as coffee, vanilla, caramel, and more. Giving it a nice sweet flavor. But as it sits, the dark roasted flavors and even some espresso flavors hit and balance this brew out.

This brew is a nice full bodied brew, with a little, but nice amount of carbonation. As listed in the flavor, the alcohol warmth comes up and gives this brew a bit in the mouthful. It is overall smooth, and has a nice oily character.

This was a very smooth brew. The barrel aging on this brew, was done very well. Its not over done, and still has great flavors and complexity. This was a great pick up, and I will surely have to seek more Hoppin Frog Brews. Thanks Keith.

mattgreger, Dec 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Alleykatking for the birthday present that I FINALLY drank, so good!

Green cap

Pours black as night, with a fingers worth of dark tan head that stays briefly, then fades.  Smells are vanilla, oak, malt and a light coffee.  Tastes vanilla, roasted malts, slight licorice, woody and coffee, very good.  Mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a sticky aftertaste.  This is a really good beer, a great example of a -bal beer!

Lukafer, Dec 01, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

My Black Friday brew that I initially thought I was going to drink on Thanksgiving, but it turns out that I was on duty for work. However, it was well worth the wait. I've been sitting on this particular bottle for 1 and 1/2 years and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Review is from notes taken on 11/26/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is black like coffee and just looks thick and viscous on the pour; no head, just a thin, dark brown ring around the surface; body is, of course, 100% opaque and not even close to thinking about toying with the notion of allowing any light through; no lacing is left behind at all, just a bit of a thick and oily residue.

Smell: Oh my... Tons of rich, syrupy sweet and bittersweet chocolate malts; some dark and burnt/coffee-like maltiness with just a touch of smoke to them; definitely some dark cherry (actually really kind of reminds me of the gourmet chocolate covered cherries); definite presence of alcohol and just a touch of oaky vanilla; more barrel continues to come out as it warms, but it remains smooth and warming as opposed to caustic. Overall, the nose is awesome and wonderfully robust.

Taste: Quite nice! Starts off with a blend of smooth bourbon and a lot of the syrupy sweet and bittersweet chocolates that were first picked up in the nose, but the oatmeal is definitely present as well and it reminds me a bit of no-bake cookies; following the chocolate I really pick up on the roast and burnt espresso-esque maltiness that have a bit of an earthy bitterness to them; the dark fruity/cherry aspect is there, but a little more subdued by the up-front alcohol and oaty chocolates; as it continues to warm, the barrel continues to become more of a factor, as does a sweet caramel or butterscotch flavor. Really superb.

Mouthfeel: Still pretty thick and very smooth -- it feels like the barrel aging only took a bit from the body as I find they oxidize and thin out just a bit from the added exposure to the elements; carbonation is nearly a non-factor, but that's not entirely unexpected; a thick, syrupy coating is left on the mouth; bely is left quite warm from the bourbon presence and higher ABV.

Drinkability: This is really a great beer, and I am more than pleased; this bottle really held up and mellowed quite well and I'm glad I've got another one stashed away and am now considering dropping the coin for a new one that is currently sitting on the shelves; outstanding and robust scents and flavors; ABV is definitely a touch high, but this one mis made for sipping, not chugging. Cheers to Hoppin' Frog.

bamadog, Nov 29, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter with a very thin dark cocoa head. Smells like vanilla, fig, chocolate and lots of whiskey. Tastes very smooth and crisp with similar notes as to the smell. Alcohol is only present from the whiskey taste. I could easily take out a bottle in less than a half hour it is that good. Compared to other bourbon stouts such as bourbon county this one is at the top. Hats off to hoppin frog on this masterpiece.

beerhan, Nov 28, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

gold cap bottle, so mostly likely batch 2.

a - pour it deep black. opaque. lower carbonation/head.

s - sweet whiskey, dark fruit, chocolate, roasted malts, and a bit of tobacco.

t - so smooth. i love this beer. perfect balance between whiskey and the chocolate caramel sweetness. I get a bit of coffee, but that might be the roasted malts.

m - thick, chewy, perfect carbonation level for me.

o - my only negative thought on this beer when having it fresh was that it was a bit hot, but with a couple years on it this is perfect.

levifunk, Nov 28, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to a guy at my local beer store that gave me this. He got it from a customer that thought he liked beer. And he gave it to me, for free. That's why I keep going back.

Pours dark/black with nearly no head. smells of bourbon, oak and vanilla. Initial taste had a bit of lingering spice, but after that, it drank smooth.

Very nice stout!

-Bye

jbone78, Nov 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

From 11/25/10 notes. Did a side by side tasting of BORIS, BA BORIS, and DORIS with my brother and dad. Served from a 22 oz. bottle, 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a dark black, with almost no head or carbonation. Showing much less head and carbonation than both BORIS and DORIS.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, and chocolate. I felt it had less chocolate in smell than BORIS and DORIS.

t - Tastes strongly of bourbon, and also some oak, vanilla, dark fruit, hops, and chocolate.

m - Full bodied and low carbonation. Smooth and a sipper for sure.

d - I thought this was a good RIS, but ranked third to me compared to the other two in the tasting. I felt it had a lot of characteristics in the the smell and taste that BORIS had, but that the bourbon really overpowered them and muted them a bit. While still enjoyable because I love bourbon, I didn't feel it was as balanced as BORIS. Would certainly have again and recommend, but wouldn't seek out considering BORIS is always on the shelves.

Original Score = 4 4 4 4 4
___
6/30/11 updated. Had a 2 year old bottle of BA BORIS side by side with BORIS, DORIS, and BORIS Royale on 06/25/11 and BA BORIS BLEW the other 3 out of the water. This beer with 2 years on it is amazing, and the bourbon really mellows a bit, making it a can't miss. My suggestion is get 2 or 3 bottles and forget about them in your cellar for 2 years.

Updated Score = 4 4.5 4.5 4 4.5

mdfb79, Nov 26, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

22oz bottle (Batch 1) generously shared by nonstick. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anny. snifter.

A - Pours a pitch black color...when held to a light it shows brown highlights and excellent clarity. A full finger of rocky cappuccino colored foam lingers briefly and dies to a thick foamy collar. Plenty of lacing coats the glass as I make my way through this one.

S - Dark chocolate, powdered cocoa, vanilla (especially as it warms), a toll house cookie dough like character, plenty of bourbon, some coffee and a touch of molasses.

T - Not what I was expecting from the aroma, but pretty damn good on its own. Lots of complexity here - rich chocolate, mild bourbon (much lower than the aroma would indicate), coffee, vanilla smoothness, caramel, slightly sweet overall. Dark roast and espresso join in as the beer approaches room temperature. I also got a good amount of raspberry in the flavor...I thought this tasted a lot like dark chocolate covered raspberry jelly candies. There was some debate about this at the tasting with others getting prunes (which I didn't get at all).

M - Medium full bodied with light/middle level carbonation. The slightest hint of alcohol warmth creeps in...very smooth overall with a bit of an oily and slick character.

D - Very smooth...this is barrel aging done right. Not too hot, great flavor and complexity additions from the barrels. Gotta try a batch 2, if they are this good I'm gonna have to buy a couple before they disappear.

portia99, Nov 14, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Served in a tulip glass. Pours a very dark black color (redundant, right?) with a clear amount of viscosity. Not much of a head but some nice legs on the side of the glass. Nose is rich with loads of dark chocolate, roasted malt, black licorice, bourbon, some like oak, and a touch of vanilla. The taste melds the base beer and the bourbon quite well, adding quite a bit of chocolate character. Really nice and thick without too much booze, this is one heavy-hitting RIS.

Thorpe429, Nov 14, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage. Split the bomber with a buddy.

4.0 A: Pitch black color. One finger of creamy/frothy hybrid light brown head. Retention isn't that great and leaves just a touch of lacing.

5.0 S: In your face aroma. Lots of dark chocolate, surpisingly intense coffee, and roasted barley. The bourbon is just as intense as I like. It complement the beer without dominating the aroma. Leather, vanilla, and wood are secondary. Mix of strong aromas than all complement each other well.

5.0 T: Taste mirrors the nose closely. Lots of coffee, some dark chocolate, and good amount of roasted barley. Again, the bourbon does not dominate, but rather complements. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, and leather, but no astringency to be found. Mild toastiness and a touch of smoke. Just really, really tasty.

4.5 M: Heavier medium to lighter heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. Could benefit from a bit more body, but overall this is good here.

5.0 D: I've had this a couple times in the past, but it's never been as good as this bottle. Perfect bourbon contribution without the pesky tannins that sometimes accompany. Hoppin Frog makes some great beer and this might be the apex of quality. I could drink another bomber and still want more. Just an overall really solid brew.

DavoleBomb, Nov 12, 2010

Pours a finger of dark brown head over a thick pitch liquid. Smells clean oak wood, vanilla, bourbon, char, coffee, chocolate, toast, and mild caramel.

Tastes waxy oak with bourbon and strong vanilla. The creaminess and sweet chocolate of the regular version of this is absent, a real shame. This is an example of a good that became a lesser beer by time spent in a barrel. Coffee and very mild chocolate. Drying oak and strong bourbon finish rubs me a bit the wrong way. Thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Decent, but hard to finish my glass.

mentor, Nov 12, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4%

I've had this beer a few times now and figured it was time to give it it's proper review...

This was sampled today and it's the first batch from '08, I believe.

Still pours black as motor oil with a dark tan head that doesn't stick around long, leaving a small halo around the edges of my tulip glass.

Smells of heavy roast, sweet malts, dark chocolate, black licorice, maple syrup and molasses. Quite decadent.

Wow, delightful! Complex mix of sweet, tasty malts, chocolate, coffee grounds and a coating of black licorice in the aftertaste.

This is a a thick, full-bodied and oily beer with just the right amount of carbonation to keep it refreshing on the tongue.

beachbum1975, Nov 11, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Body is a nearly opaque dark brown (almost black hue). Light only shines through on the edges of my snifter with a slight reddish purple glow in the midnight body. Pours with a barely significant <1 finger dark brown head that emerges slowly after the pour and fades completely almost as quickly.

S- The prominent character upfront is the whiskey barrel. A hint of booze and a lot of oak. Behind this is a more typical imperial stout nose. Oatmeal, anise, rich, dark chocolate. The balance is much heavier on the side of the barrel.

T- The flavor is much like the nose-but is much more balanced. A cocoa presence is the highlight upfront with typical RIS like characteristics and is pretty sweet upfront. The finish is packed with a lot of alcohol heat and oak barrel flavor. Left to linger is some sweetness and a big alcohol heat.

M- Low carbonation and medium to heavy weight body that is slightly syrupy.

D- This is a very good BA stout overall. There is a good balance between the barrel and stout characteristics in the flavor as well. Not the best BA stout out there but this is a very good one!

PittBeerGirl, Nov 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

a- Pours a pitch black with a minimal amount of light brown lacing head.
s- There is a very sweet malty/ oatmeal smell that is very strong.
t- Starts off as a very rich chocolate taste that switches to a oatmealish coffee taste towards the end of the drink.
m/d- A very enjoyable drink that is just sweet enough to make you drink a little slower. It has a very full bodied, sweet taste and is a very enjoyable drink. I have had this a couple of times now and it keeps on getting better with age.

hughesm4, Nov 06, 2010