Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
2.19/5  rDev -49.1%

The bourbon alcohol flavors are too over-powering in this beer. I've tried at least three bourbon cask aged stouts and this is by far the worst one.

Atlanta Brewing Company created a delicious bourbon cask aged stout a couple of years ago, as a 15th anniversary celebration. Brooklyn Brewery's Black Ops, is excellent. And 5 Seasons Brewing Westside Brewpub, made an excellent one as well.

Each previous example had sophisticated accents of roasted barley, toasted caramel and light chocolate, which blended perfectly with the, just above subtle, flavors of delicious bourbon.

The BORIS, tastes like a slightly acidic stout, where someone poured and mixed bourbon, directly into the glass of beer.

If it wasn't a sin against nature, I'd dump this beer out... I can't believe this beer has an A- rating!

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

22 Oz. bottle. Red cap

A- I loved the appearance. Some people don't enjoy a dark ale with very little head, but I think it is an excellent and intriguing appearance. Certainly looks great in a like clear glass.

S- Strong alcohol smell, but it is what you would expect from a 9.4% abv.

T- Very strong taste. Best enjoyed by sipping slowly.

M- So strong that it doesn't sit smoothly.

D- See mouthfeel comment.

I really enjoyed this beer but it was very strong. I am usually a pretty fast drinker, but it took me about an hour to down this one.

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%

batch 3 - green cap..

Opened this alongside the great B.O.R.I.S., aged over a year. Had never had this one before, though, and was excited as I was a big fan of the regular BORIS..

Black, brackish, creamy and dissipating head. Smells of whiskey and oat, little bit of chocolate cream. Flavor is similar, the rich oaty creamy body which is the hallmark of the regular B.O.R.I.S. is relegated to the background, much thinner as the alcohol comes in angrily, thinning the body with a solid punch. It's still quite good, but really do prefer the non barrel-aged beverage. This one, we could just be friends.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

I've had this one sitting in the cellar for a while, and given all the snow on the ground right now, I thought today was a good day to crack it open.

This one is from the third batch (green cap).

Pours a solid black, with a thin tan head on top. This looks like a cup of dark, strong-brewed coffee.

There is some whiskey in the nose, for sure. Raisin, fig, vanilla, chocolate, oatmeal, graham cracker, and wet wood fill the nose. The aroma is rich, with some hefty alcohol notes floating around.

The flavor is quite sweet, offering hints of chocolate and oatmeal, brown sugar, molasses, red/black olives, strong coffee, espresso, figs, and vanilla, Man, there is a nice burn as it goes down. Alcohol is quite present here, but actually balanced well with the flavors of the beer. The barrel aging lends some sweet whiskey notes to the beer, helping the flavor linger for quite some time on the tongue. Each sip brings out new things, and with each sip the beer continues its complexity and flavor.

Overall, this is a top notch stout. There is so much going on in the flavor of this beer, and barrel aging the B.O.R.I.S. was a wonderful idea. The beer is strong, but drinkable, and is one to age, or crack now and share with friends.

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

Green Cap batch 3

A: Poured quite thick. The beer is jet black with a thin covering of coffee colored head. Good head retention for a barrel aged beer.

S: the whiskey is right up front and stings the nostrils. Little bit more chocolate as it warms up. A touch of oatmeal as well. It works well with the barrel but

T: The taste starts off with the whiskey barrel. The barrel really dominated the taste. It kind of eliminated some of the nuances of the base beer. Some cocoa powder. I preferred the original to this.

M: The moutfeel is a nice mixture of full bodied while not overpowering. Nice low carbonation.

D: Easy drinking for the ABV. All the subtle complexities of the original were washed away by the barrel aging. This is one of those cases where the non barrel aged version is much better.

3.3/5  rDev -23.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a darkness sniffer. Shared with schen9303.

A: Pours a viscous one bubble layer of light mocha head with poor retention. Beer is a dark opaque black. Lacing is spotty and with little retention but outstanding legs.

S: Nose is predominantly boozy, chocolate, cocoa, liquified purple fruit and sweet soy sauce. Aromatic and appropriate overall, but a bit overly aggressive alcohol.

T: Opens fudge brownie, chocolate. Sweet soy sauce and cocoa and dar fruit toward the middle. Sharp alcohol at the back makes the barrel aging apparent. Finishes more sweet dark fruit with a slightly grainy cocoa aftertaste.

M: Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. It's oily and silkly in the mouth but with rough edges. Goes down with a bit of heat. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste.

D: Not nealy as good as the regular version. A heavy beer like this doesn't need any barrel aging in my opinion. A bit aggressive on all fronts. Not gonna revisit this one but it makes a mean cupcake!!

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

(22oz bottle courtesy of Alexsdad06!! Green cap-batch 3). Pours black with 1 finger cocoa head. Aroma of alcohol, chocolate, and caramel. Taste is sweet with some roasty bitterness on the end. Full bodied with slick texture. Finish is whiskey and some roastiness. This is a very good beer. Thanks Brad!

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Been sitting on this for awhile and finally decided to crack it open. Green cap batch 3 per BA.

Wow what a great stout creamy and boozy this one still really has that wisky flavor to it and it is good.

A Dark thin head creamy look small parts bits of carbination.

S - Strong !! it has all the smell of the wiskey barrel that it was aged in.

T - Wow really nice boozy, and chared taste that is really nice.

M - Gives a lasting feel of wiskey. I know this beer but it is so strong.

D - Again rated high while I am not sure you could drink a ton, but this ages well would drink well with a cigar.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Pure black, almost no light passes through; little head/lacing, but then again that's probably to be expected with this style.

S: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, bourbon, with just a bit of oatmeal.

T: Chocolate, coffee once again; less of the oak/bourbon but quite enjoyable nonetheless. Not picking up on the dark fruits others have mentioned.

M: Thick, creamy, oily; this is an extremely smooth example of a BA stout and it pulls almost everything you could want out of one off very well.

D: Alcohol is more noticeable than I would have liked considering it's not quite in the double digits; the smoothness is pleasant but can only carry the beer so far. One bottle of this is good for me (considering the $14 price tag, there are other non-BA stouts I could buy for less that I would enjoy more, and other BA stouts I would enjoy more at the same price). Still, worth a try- by no means a bad beer, but up against some top-notch competition.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Black cap. Many thanks to tat3dhllblly for this!

Black as night, with a good finger of dark mocha colored head. Fades quickly, no lacing. Just looks like sludge in the glass.

Good bit of whiskey, but it blends well and is not overpowering. Nice roasted/burnt aromas and some coffee and chocolate sweetness. Bits of dark fruits and molasses round it out.

Naturally the whiskey notes are there, but they don't overwhelm, which is what I love about -bal Stouts. Good chocolate, coffee, sweet dark fruits, roasted malts, and syrup. Hint of bitterness too, hard to pick were it can from though.

Feel is good and full, a tad lingering, and creamy

Drinkability is solid. This is a big beer, but it's drinkable. The whole bomber will be cake.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

22oz bottle, mid 2010 batch (black cap). Served at cellar temp.

Pours thick black with a one finger dark brown head that recedes to a wispy cap and good ring, leaves some nice spots of lacing behind.

Aroma is predominately whiskey but there is also some vanilla, chocolate, oak, coffee, dark roasted malt, some raisins & anise. Very good strength (particularly the whiskey).

Flavor is more balanced than the aroma, starts with a great chocolate component, very rich, good espresso/coffee notes, a nice layer of whiskey, vanilla, and oak, underneath there is some dark fruits and anise. Alcohol is there but well integrated for such a big beer. Fair sweetness too.

Mouthfeel is full and very creamy, I love the mouthfeel on an oatmeal stout! Low carbonation.

Man oh man is this good. I love BORIS and this is a great counterpart. While the whiskey overpowers the nose it meshes extremely well in the flavor. Rich and decadent, a treat!

3.02/5  rDev -29.8%

I poured this stiff beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was very black and poured a very thin head that vaporized quickly. Most likely from the high alcohol. There was more of a chocolate hit than coffee on this one but the hoppyness was too much. I don't want a hoppy stout and the alcohol burned up any great taste left on the palate.I will not buy again.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Superb beer! A beautiful blend of flavors ... no particular taste screams out ... nicely done, Hoppin' Frog! It pours deep black ... probably the darkest beer I've ever encountered. The hops provide a nice, delicate finish to each mouthful. Everything you'd expect from an Imperial Stout and more!!

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter...

A--BLACK. Head is limited but good looking brew.

S--Whiskey, whiskey, whiskey. It is barrel aged, and you can tell in a big way with this brew.

T--Bourbon comes on strong in this one just as it did in the nose, you better like the it strong, or this will be over the top.

M--Silky smooth feel to this one.

D--Heavy, I would have trouble drinking a whole bottle myself, but I am going to have at it. Highly recommended.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

138th review on BA
Bottle to pint.
Silver cap

App- This beer was black, oily and viscous. Had a nice one finger head that was unexpected since the regular BORIS had 0 on it. Had some nice ruby highlights on it as well.

Smell- A very potent mix of chocolate, malt and some berries. Very dark berries make it a sweet smeller. I really enjoyed the aroma.

Taste- Tastes like a good barleywine to me. Quite good. It's not at all what I thought it was going to drink like. Very berry like with the booze and barrel flavors on it.

Mouth- A lot more crisp and refreshing that the normal BORIS was as well. I'm stummped but its so good.

Drink- Really get the booze as it warms, but this was a very good beer.

4.49/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Did a vertical of this earlier this year B1, 2, 3, and 5. I must say that this ages amazingly. The B1 was so full of chocolate and coffee cake aroma and flavor, and very very smooth.

Aged this is a 4.75+ beer, fresh it falls closer to 4.33, which was my initial rating a couple of years ago. I have since scored this in the middle to reflect both.

Full review of a fresh bottle below.
___

Bottle says that this beer is aged in whiskey barrels.

I poured this from a height I would normally not even attempt and still got barely any head off of this beer. What was there was dark and roasty espresso colored. The words to described the body of this brew are oily, thick, and dense. I really would have enjoyed a solid head for aroma and lacing purposes, but otherwise this was exactly what one ought to expect from a big RIS.

I got aromas of sweet alcohol - old, wood-aged whiskey and white rum. Lots of oakiness to it. Chocolate malt and roasted barley then push past to fill your head with the essence of milk chocolate, raisins, and coffee. As the beer warmed I then began to get a nice mustiness and mild vanilla.

My first reaction to sipping this was that it is SMOOTH AS HELL!! (Exactly what I wrote in my notes). This is much smoother than regular B.O.R.I.S. I have since come to the conclusion that oats and whiskey make an excellent combo in a heavy beer like this.

Bitter roasted malts lend a a slight char flavor. Sweet oakiness and whiskey are warming deep in the throat. Nevertheless, this beer has far less of a dominating liquor profile than many of its other BA counterparts. Then again, maybe it just takes a hell of a lot of whiskey to significantly alter the dominating presence of B.O.R.I.S. the Crusher!

Mouthfeel is warming from the alcohol. Once again - smooth as all hell, not chewy in the slightest despite the thick viscosity of the beer (not to mention the insane chewiness of the original beer). Slick on the palate but not overly sticky. Slightly dry oaky aftertaste.

Drinkability is wonderful. I consumed the bomber by myself gladly and with far greater speed than I expected. But, this beer is not cheap, roughly twice the cost of regular BORIS. The alcohol is not unapparent, but it is very well balanced.

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%

22oz bottle. Pours am opaque black with a small tan head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is vinous chocolate malts, dark fruits (fig), some coffee and oats and some bitter bourbon.

The flavor is sweet vinous dark fruits with some chocolate and a bitter finish. The whiskey comes out throughout - accentuating the vinous fruits and making the bitter finish a bit medicinal. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, still a nice imperial stout, but the barrel aging detracts rather than adds for me. It's a lot more alcoholic and vinous and a bit medicinal, and it loses the coffee, fudge, and oat notes that were nice in the original.

3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

pours pitch black with a 1/4 finger tan head that faded fast and left no lacing

smell - wheres the bourbon???? all about the oats and some sweet chocolate with a little fruit

taste - no need to age this one - while the bourbon is not overpowering its there and blends well with the malt and hint of booze you get - main flavors again are the oatmeal chocolate - call me crazy but the booze and bourbon give off a berry flavor

mouthfeel - thick low carbonation but not flat

drinkability - good flavors but 1/2 this bomber was just too much for me - maybe i should have started and ended with this beer

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

I've received a couple of these bottles. I forget who gave me the first one, but this one was from Hayesez. Thanks, Erik!

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A - Pitch black with just the faintest of red hues on the edge as I hold my glass to the light. About a half finger width of mocha colored head. It leaves some nice lacing on my glass, though the head doesn't last very long.

S - Chocolate, a touch of otameal, some whiskey, and something a little weird on the finish. I can't tell if it's like a light rubber (think new tires in a tire shop) or new car smell. It's faint, but it's there. I'd like more whiskey, barrel, and more stout characteristics to come through

T - Huh. Uhm, some oatmel stout characteristics. Roast, hints of oatmeal, dark chocolates. And then that weird thing I smelled is present in the taste. I can't place what it is, but it just kind of tastes...well, off. Aha! It's like a cheap vodka taste that comes through in a vodka cran. It's a harsh boozy taste. I like my beer with a bite, but not a cheap alcohol tasting bite. We'll see how this does as it warms up.

M - Creamy, heavy body, minimal carbonation. This is just about where it should be.

D - I'll finish the bomber no problem, though I remembered my first bottle being a lot better. This one is just harsh, not smooth. Maybe I need to try another to give it one last fair shot.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Near black pour with the faintest hint of dark brown. Thin, thin sheen of dark chocolate head. Not much to retain and no lace. Very nice color, though.

Strong alcohol and bourbon in the nose. Reminds me of a spiked cup of mocha, but with a strong malt flavor as well.

Very strong bourbon note up front and lingering into the finish. Nice pine hop presence in the finish, underneath. Fiery flavor on the back of the throat from the alcohol and hops. Oak, vanilla, bit of sherry, and lots of bourbon.

Feel is slightly thinner than expected, but not disappointing.

Surprisingly easy to drink as intense as the flavors are. I would easily get another bottle of this.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

This brew poured a dark, pitch black color. It shows bits of dark brown highlights. It had a nice ¼ in cap that was nice bubbly brown color, that falls to a nice foamy ring. A nice, spotted lacing remains.

The aroma on this one is a nice punch of sweetness. There is a nice dark chocolate, cocoa aroma at the front, with a hint of vanilla as it sits for a few minutes. The end of this brew has bit of a coffee touch and a nice hit of bourbon on the end aroma nodes.

Wow! This brew packs a punch when you take the first sip of this brew. There is a whole lot of complexity in this brew. It starts with a sweet, rich chocolate flavor that sinks into a nice, mild, but warming bourbon flavor. It then follows with some great flavors in the taste buds, such as coffee, vanilla, caramel, and more. Giving it a nice sweet flavor. But as it sits, the dark roasted flavors and even some espresso flavors hit and balance this brew out.

This brew is a nice full bodied brew, with a little, but nice amount of carbonation. As listed in the flavor, the alcohol warmth comes up and gives this brew a bit in the mouthful. It is overall smooth, and has a nice oily character.

This was a very smooth brew. The barrel aging on this brew, was done very well. Its not over done, and still has great flavors and complexity. This was a great pick up, and I will surely have to seek more Hoppin Frog Brews. Thanks Keith.

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to Alleykatking for the birthday present that I FINALLY drank, so good!

Green cap

Pours black as night, with a fingers worth of dark tan head that stays briefly, then fades.  Smells are vanilla, oak, malt and a light coffee.  Tastes vanilla, roasted malts, slight licorice, woody and coffee, very good.  Mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a sticky aftertaste.  This is a really good beer, a great example of a -bal beer!

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

My Black Friday brew that I initially thought I was going to drink on Thanksgiving, but it turns out that I was on duty for work. However, it was well worth the wait. I've been sitting on this particular bottle for 1 and 1/2 years and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Review is from notes taken on 11/26/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is black like coffee and just looks thick and viscous on the pour; no head, just a thin, dark brown ring around the surface; body is, of course, 100% opaque and not even close to thinking about toying with the notion of allowing any light through; no lacing is left behind at all, just a bit of a thick and oily residue.

Smell: Oh my... Tons of rich, syrupy sweet and bittersweet chocolate malts; some dark and burnt/coffee-like maltiness with just a touch of smoke to them; definitely some dark cherry (actually really kind of reminds me of the gourmet chocolate covered cherries); definite presence of alcohol and just a touch of oaky vanilla; more barrel continues to come out as it warms, but it remains smooth and warming as opposed to caustic. Overall, the nose is awesome and wonderfully robust.

Taste: Quite nice! Starts off with a blend of smooth bourbon and a lot of the syrupy sweet and bittersweet chocolates that were first picked up in the nose, but the oatmeal is definitely present as well and it reminds me a bit of no-bake cookies; following the chocolate I really pick up on the roast and burnt espresso-esque maltiness that have a bit of an earthy bitterness to them; the dark fruity/cherry aspect is there, but a little more subdued by the up-front alcohol and oaty chocolates; as it continues to warm, the barrel continues to become more of a factor, as does a sweet caramel or butterscotch flavor. Really superb.

Mouthfeel: Still pretty thick and very smooth -- it feels like the barrel aging only took a bit from the body as I find they oxidize and thin out just a bit from the added exposure to the elements; carbonation is nearly a non-factor, but that's not entirely unexpected; a thick, syrupy coating is left on the mouth; bely is left quite warm from the bourbon presence and higher ABV.

Drinkability: This is really a great beer, and I am more than pleased; this bottle really held up and mellowed quite well and I'm glad I've got another one stashed away and am now considering dropping the coin for a new one that is currently sitting on the shelves; outstanding and robust scents and flavors; ABV is definitely a touch high, but this one mis made for sipping, not chugging. Cheers to Hoppin' Frog.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter with a very thin dark cocoa head. Smells like vanilla, fig, chocolate and lots of whiskey. Tastes very smooth and crisp with similar notes as to the smell. Alcohol is only present from the whiskey taste. I could easily take out a bottle in less than a half hour it is that good. Compared to other bourbon stouts such as bourbon county this one is at the top. Hats off to hoppin frog on this masterpiece.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

gold cap bottle, so mostly likely batch 2.

a - pour it deep black. opaque. lower carbonation/head.

s - sweet whiskey, dark fruit, chocolate, roasted malts, and a bit of tobacco.

t - so smooth. i love this beer. perfect balance between whiskey and the chocolate caramel sweetness. I get a bit of coffee, but that might be the roasted malts.

m - thick, chewy, perfect carbonation level for me.

o - my only negative thought on this beer when having it fresh was that it was a bit hot, but with a couple years on it this is perfect.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery