Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
4.3/5  rDev 0%

Served in a GameWorks shaker pint glass.

Third bottle in our Hallowe'en mini-tasting. It pours a jet onyx topped by over a finger of light-ish brown foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, milk chocolate, oak, pumpernickel, and a slight bit o' whiskey. The taste has all of the aforementioned bits, along with molasses, vanilla, and caramelized brown sugar. The body is a light heavy, with a light carbonation and a farily chewy feel. Overall, a very good stout, decidedly better than the normal BORIS. It may just be strictly mental, but this was a mighty tasty offering, the highlight of the evening.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for pulling the trigger and sharing the nice RIS with me.

This beer pours a viscous blackness an gives a nice tan foam that dies off after a quick time. The smell is really really nice. This smell is mostly of cocoa, oak, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, and plum. The flavor is raspberry, bourbon, and cocoa. The mouthfeel is velvety smooth, and only a little bit of the bitterness, but it works well with the fruity nature of the beer. The higher ABV of the beer does work against it, but in all honesty this is a really good beer and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

A: Poured into my pint glass, again, this brew is easily one of darkest stouts I've ever poured. Jet black with a head darker then a good brown ale. Less bubbly then then regular BORIS, which lends to better head retention and a lot better lacing.

S: Of the bourbon barrel aged stouts I've had, the aroma is not as dominate of bourbon as one would expect. As with BORIS, BABORIS lacks complexity that I would like. It retains the oatmeal, bitter sweet chocolate notes that I love. I'm almost inclined to bump the rating up a notch, but this brew falls just a tad bit short.

T: Light coffee/espresso, chocolate, hints of liquorice, and oat meal to round the whole damn thing off. Smooth bourbon dominates as the brew warms. Notes of vanilla are present stronger than most BA beers.

MF: Mouthfeel is killer. Still smooth, and has not thinned much considering this baby is barrel aged.

D: Drinkability is still amazing as always.

Overall, BABORIS is proof that any stout can be enhanced with barrel aging. Perfect for a winter night.

I'll save the detailed A/S/T/M/D descriptions for the experts. Others describe beers so much better than I do. I'm an average hard-working American whose Monday through Friday beer is Genesee Cream Ale (just one or two after I come home from work at 11:30 pm). On the weekends, I have two or three decent beers that I can fit within my budget. Here's my review of this beer:

Bought from Warehouse Beverage in a 22 oz. bomber. Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

Wow, this is probably the best beer I have ever had in my life! Looked like motor-oil. Very thin tan head. Not much carbonation. Unbelievable aromas of vanilla, chocolate, and coffee. EXTREMELY drinkable. Flavors matched the aromas I described above! Amazing that you don't taste the alcohol considering it's 9.4% ABV! The ONLY downside is that it was $13.99. But I guess you get what you pay for. Can't recommend this one highly enough!

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Spilt this bottle between two snifters. We were presented with a small tan head that disappeared to a wisp of lace. The body of the brew was a typical stout black with some burgundy highlights around the side of the glass from the barrel.

I got some vanilla and some roasted malts in the nose. I sat on this bottle so I didn't get to much booze coming off of this one. The flavor was good as well. There was enough roasted flavors and the bourbon barrel sweetness permeates this one. Yet the mouthfeel is a tad thin for a oatmeal brew. That did surprise me because the regular brew had more body to it.

The drinkability is fine I did enjoy every sip of the glass.
A good barrel aged stout I'd buy it again but a little pricy

4.47/5  rDev +4%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip. I can't find a date on the bottle.

Look: literally no head forms on this despite an aggressive pour. Some bubbles form hugging the sides of the glass but that's it. The bubbles are light brown. Looks dark brown, almost black even when held to the light. The closest thing to a highlight is the bottle of the glass which is still a fairly dark brown. I can't see any carbonation. Subsequent pours lead to a very thin head, which is less than one finger. It leaves no lacing behind and only retains for about thirty seconds.

Smell: very inviting for a RIS. I smell the roasted malt first and foremost along with a hint of oakiness. I'm trying to pick up the alcohol but I don't get it. Smells very good and I'm looking forward to diving in.

Taste: Up front there's the taste of the roasted malt, molasses and dark chocolate. The barrel flavor on this one is very, very subdued and I love that because it seems like barrel aged beers sometimes tend to be way too bourbon flavored. The coffee flavor in the finish is very strong and its very pleasant. As it warms, the barrel flavors become much more potent but not so much as to ruin the flavor for me.

Feel: fairly flat but not in a bad way. Silky smooth and fairly chewy. Very full bodied. I see this beer described as having some heat to it but I'm not picking up the alcohol burn at all. Even as it warms and the bourbon flavor comes out more, there's no burn that I can detect.

Drink: insanely drinkable for a RIS and for a beer that is 9.4% ABV. If I wasn't intentionally taking my time with this guy, the bomber would be done and I'd be sloshed trying to get this review in.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this beer. I had picked it up when I wanted to get into barrel aged beers to see what the fuss was about, had a few I didn't like, and wasn't entirely looking forward to this. However, an empty beer fridge led to this one being given a fair shake and it seriously delivered. I will pick up the regular version as soon as I see it available and will be giving Hoppin' Frog a try whenever I see it in the future. Give this one a try and you'll be glad you did.

Pours opaque black with very very very little head--what head there is consists of tan wisps on the surface of the beer. I'd like to see SOME foam on the beer, it doesn't need a bunch, just a little. Smell is decent, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, a bit of oak in there too. Taste follows suit, some creamy vanilla and oak from the aging, but follows through with a robust and lingering roasted malt, chocolate, and espresso profile. Quite delicious, especially after I let it warm a bit. The aging doesn't really add all that much to this beer, in my opinion. In fact, the underlying stout is the best part. I haven't had regular BORIS, but I bet it's a better value. Thick and smooth on the feel, big stout territory for sure. Very low carbonation, for some reason now I'm thinking the feel is similar to GI BCBS, though it's been a couple of months since I've had one. Good drinkability, a sipper for sure. Nice beer, but I probably won't get it again at $14 a pop.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. fresh from the brewery, bought on site!

Appearance: A very deep dark color, but not quite black. Something like dark mahogany. Fizzy little head that dies quickly. Pours and looks like an old port. Absolutely no lacing.

Smell: Dry fruits, oak, some vanilla. The barrel is definitely there. Some spice and sugar sweetness. Booziness. Complex but not overwhelming, a nicely balanced nose.

Taste: Thinner than expected, not as good as appearance and smell. Lots of vanilla upfront, but not aggressive. You can taste the bourbon barrel. Some faint bitterness as it goes down. Dark chocolate around. But no oatmeal whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: A total letdown here. Underwhelming. Watery, no carbonation. Thin body, thin finish- not right for a beer of this caliber. Feels like it should have been aging longer?

Drinkability: High! I pounded a bomber in no time. But maybe this is not so good for such a big beer... goes down easy. I wanted more, though, in terms of flavor and "bigness". A good but disappointing beer. I enjoy the regular B.O.R.I.S. better.

Also, the price issue> it goes for $13.95 at the brewery in Akron, Ohio. A lil' high.

(Other beers I have tried from Hoppin' besides Barrel B.O.R.I.S. and regular B.O.R.I.S. include D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer, Mean Manalishi Double IPA and Fresh Frog: Raw Hop Imperial Pale Ale)

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
HUGE thanks to Brian23456 for this one--thanks Brian!

Marked 6/09 on the cap. Taken out of the fridge and allowed to warm to proper temperature.

A: An aggressive pour into an etched Duvel tulip yields little head, a ¼" dark tan coating which recedes within a couple seconds. Held up to a lamp, no light penetrates it.

S: Chocolate, citric hops, dark fruit, roast, and a well integrated vanillin/oak and bourbon character. Quite a bit of vanilla in fact, with the roast providing an underlying acidity. Light spiced character.

T: Citric hops melding with pleasant dark fruit, all covered in dark chocolate. Vanilla follows, with the spicy bourbon character providing support and keeping things interesting. Sweet then bitter, lightly tannic finish.

M: Velvetty, with low carbonation. Nice and viscous, while not needing to be chewed. A perfect match for this beer.

D: This is a delicious beer. I'm not sure how it is fresh, but the vanilla character in this slightly aged version is big and can definitely stand up to whatever else is in here. Well done Hoppin' Frog!

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

Pretty similar to the regular offering, plus bourbon, oak and vanilla. Pours a thick black color with a smallish dark brown head. Aromas of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate covered espresso beans. On the palate, a little thinner than the regular version, with a good amount of bourbon/oak flavor. Good, but nothing remarkable.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fl. oz./22 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
Served in a snifter

Absolute pitch black in appearance. Not a ray of light penetrated the viscous, oily liquid. The beer was topped by a thin, mocha-colored ring of lace that lingered for much of the drink.

The aroma was amazing from the get-go. As soon as I cracked the cap, notes of bourbon, vanilla and chocolate filled the air. Sweet and boozy. Brown sugar came through as well. Slightly roasty with some deep, dark, French roast coffee notes.

While the nose was smooth and sweet, the flavor profile was a bit harsh, yet rather complex. Super woody. Charred malts dominated. Espresso and bakers chocolate notes also came through strong. Some dark fruits appeared as well. The finish was rather dry and astringent. Burnt and somewhat boozy. A touch hot. Bitter, piney hops were detectible as well.

The liquid was medium/full-bodied. A bit thinner than I anticipated for the style. Smooth and creamy with a fine, moderate, tongue-blanketing effervescence.

After trying both the regular B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout and the barrel-aged version, I found the former to be surprisingly smoother and more drinkable. Perhaps this beer could benefit from another year or so in the cellar.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Slightly murky very dark brown color. Almost opaque. Short lived, tan head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring.

S - Deep dark malts, raisins, chocolate, oaky vanilla, roasty and a little earthy. Boozy alcohol is only a tiny bit distracting.

F/M - Caramel, dark roasty malts, cocoa and bitter baker's chocolate. Moderately high hop bitterness, accentuated by roastiness. Warm boozy alcohol is rather pleasant (better than the aroma suggests). Medium full bodied with moderately low carbonation. Chocolaty vanilla aftertaste.

D - Boozy and big. Very assertive. A sipper for sure, but not much more than a full glass. The second half of this bomber is gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a pitch black that has small brown head. This looks incredibly thick. Smells of vanilla, whiskey, and oatmeal with lots of roasted malt. Flavour has nice amount of bitterness, with some alcohol from the whiskey. Quite smooth and thick mouthfeel. I think I prefer their to the non BA version, but they are both nice.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle courtesy of jojmdma. His original box got "lost," so thanks heaps for providing a second box that inculded this gem. Cheers!

From a bomber into a snifter

Note: Batch #2, June 2009. Drunk with one year of age and directly after regular BORIS.

APPEARANCE: Pours really thick and dark out of the bottle. Otherwise, very similar to regular BORIS. An aggressive pour yields a cascading 1+ finger, medium looking dark mocha head that quickly fades to a splotchy wisp and ring. Jet black body and zero carbonation evident. A ring and splotchy wisp remains until the end leaving some faint lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Very similar to regular BORIS with a nice, strong presence of bourbon and vanilla. Roasted malts, smoke, dark baker's chocolate, and the oats are very apparent. Slight hints of caramel, tobacco, and coffee notes, with a solid base of bourbon and vanilla from the barrel. A complex nose, and slightly bolder than the non BA version. Nice.

TASTE: Follows regular BORIS exactly, but with a strong, but not overwhelming, presence of bourbon and vanilla. Roasted and smoky malts, dark baker's chocolate and a good dose of oats again. Dark pure chocolate with a nice balance of bitter coffee and sweet caramel on the finish. Oak, with plenty of bourbon and vanilla provide a nice base for the other flavors. Bold and lingering aftertaste of roasted malt and chocolate, with plenty of well-balanced flavor from the barrel. The original BORIS is still there and the barrel plays a great role, meshing well with the other flavors, but not dominating them.

PALATE: Medium-full body, lower end carbonation, and creamy smooth on the palate. Goes down smooth, very soft and easy, not bite at all, and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Slightly warming after the swallow. Oats do their soft, smooth work here. Same as regular BORIS, but slightly less carbonation.

OVERALL: Fantastic! Just as good of a BA stout as BORIS is a regular imperial stout. Both are very good brews. Being able to try regular BORIS and BA BORIS back to back really gave me a chance to taste how the barrel played a roll here. This is a top notch barrel aged stout; well-worth seeking out and trying. The regular BORIS is still there, but the barrel lends another level of complexity without overpowering the original brew. Lots of great flavors and nuances going on here, and a plenty drinkable brew to boot. I had no trouble finishing the bomber myself. Thanks heaps for this one Jojo.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Serving type - 22 oz bottle

Apperance - Black as night. Creamy thick 1/2 head Some decent lacing.

Smell - Whiskey, Barley, malt and alcohol, some molasses is present giving it a dark fruit, plum/date aroma.

Taste - Starts out with sweet chocolate malts and whiskey. Hops are mixed in there and bring out some bitterness and fruitness. Dark fruits like rasin, plum and dates add some flavor and sweetness. Has a nut and vanilla finish.

Mouthfeel - Its strong, thick and quite the mouth crusher. Tounge gets malts, whiskey, and booze. Palette gets bittered from hops, and numbed from the booze.

Overall - Very nice, even better then regular boris. Rather smooth and balanced, and has some sweetness to add to the strong whiskey and malt kick. This beer is damn close to the greatness that is kbs, try this!

The beer is black and has a small brown head. Nearly no lacing but curtains.

The smell is sweet fruits and almonds.

The taste is full of dried fruits, dates and figs, vanilla and almonds, a bit alcohol. Not much bitterness.

Medium low carbonation, a complex oily body.

Interesting how much the barrel aging actually has changed the taste and feel. Sampled at beer tasting at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Looks: syrupy. Thick and black, with a tiny mocha-colored head that becomes a ring within seconds and leaves sticky layers of lace.

Smells: interestingly, very little like a barrel-aged beer. Initially, I pick up almost no whiskey notes, though some do finally emerge when the beer closes in on room temperature. What I DO notice: earthy hops, black espresso, dark chocolate, a campfire smokiness and bacon.

Tastes: like straight whiskey. I had to double check that this was actually still a beer in my hand and hadn't been replaced with Jack Daniel's when I wasn't looking. The Flavor's made even odder by the fact that there's very little alcohol burn to accompany it. As it warms, the beer becomes more complex, with notes of peanuts, dark chocolate and toasted bread, but it's still heavily whiskey-forward.

Feels: very thick and creamy. Full-bodied and tongue-numbing, with a sublte carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable, but for how high it is it's well-blended.

Drinks: If all whiskeys were once beers, BA BORIS tastes like the missing link. You better like hooch if you want to try this one.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to Jcb890 for hooking this up in a trade.

A: Pours a viscous pitch black with a scant layer of mocha colored foam that quickly settles into a ring of lacing.

S: Very well integrated aroma for a barrel aged stout - moderate whiskey character with a little bit more charred oak than usual, along with vanilla, dark chocolate, strong dark fruit notes - dark cherries, plums, and figs - along with some caramel and a bit of bitter coffee.

T: Starts out fairly subdued with some dark malts and oat character, before whiskey notes pop up in the mid-palate with some light booze and vanilla. Semi-sweet chocolate and light coffee come in late, leading to a sweet, lightly oaked chocolate finish.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation, feels a little too thin and slick.

D: Booze is kept in check well, and the aromas and flavors are well integrated - very drinkable for a barrel aged stout.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The record heat in GA this summer will not keep me from this beer! As I was digging through the cellar for something to try I saw the BA B.O.R.I.S. and decided it was due to time to open it. Right in line with the robust, regular B.O.R.I.S. it pours black as night, no light getting through this beer, it even looks thick! A gorgeous dense, tan head rests atop... a head this dense, of course, leaves tons of lacing on the glass as you sip & enjoy the beer. The aroma is a nicely balanced cornucopia of roasted malts, coffee, vanilla, whiskey, and a bit of alcohol esters. Unlike some BA stouts, the barrel aging seems to be right on here, and does not overtake the aroma. The flavor is an even more pronounced version of the aroma, the roasted malts are right alongside coffee flavors, but along with a rich, delicious chocolate characteristic. Again in the flavor, the vanilla & whiskey hints from the oak barrel are there to accompany the beer, not overtake, but it does have a bit of an alcoholic heat to it. Mouthfeel is everything I want in a big stout, rich, velvety, and creamy, just perfect. I must give credit to Hoppin' Frog on this beer, with so many BA beers hitting the market these days, this one is definitely a stand-out that uses the barrel aging process to add complexity to an already outstanding beer, not overtake it.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Although there has been a heat wave around these parts for the last three weeks or so, for some reason a big stout was what I was in the mood for tonight. Barrel Aged Boris pours out a pitch black color, with some brown/red hues at the bottom, and just barely one finger of brown heading that fades away quickly. Prunes and dark chocolate become apparent early on in the nose, followed by some dark fruit and whiskey. Fudge comes to mind immediately upon sipping, with lots of jammy fruit, and the whiskey ending things on a somewhat bitter, boozy note. No doubt that this is a really big, rich beer that seems to only become more so as it warms to room temperature. The last time I tried this beer, which was probably a year or so ago, it was really hot, and although things have calmed down a bit with the alcohol, it is still one where the whiskey and heat are part of the overall picture. This one works perfectly as a sipper. Overall the barrel aging adds a nice component here, though the non barreled version is nothing to turn your nose to. If anything the whiskey barrels steal the show here whereas the oatmeal is more center stage with the original. Cheers

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

My bottle had a gold cap on it. Not sure exactly what batch that denotes but I know the color of the cap is what determines the batch. I know this one has at least a little age on it though. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. Poured a thick black color with a thin mocha head to it. The head kept to a thin ring around the edges of the glass and left very little lacing.

The aroma has a nice dark chocolate flavor to it with a little roasted malt character coming through as well. Some oak and bourbon come through as well, but it's more of a lighter and smooth flavor overall. Very flavorful and appealing aroma to it.

The taste shows a oak and vanilla barrel characteristic to it with some bourbon coming through as well. Overall the bourbon is light in comparison to other barrel aged stouts and very smooth. Some dark chocolate and roasted bitterness come through as well. Overall a very flavorful, complex and smooth taste to the beer. Aging has been very nice to this beer, one of the best barrel aged beers I've had.

The mouthfeel is definitely one of the thicker stouts I've had, which I love. Carbonation is on the lower side which is also nice. Drinkability is very good, it has some great flavors to it. As I said before aging has been nice to this beer and it has a very smooth barrel characteristic to it without any alcohol heat to it. Excellent beer overall and one of the best barrel aged beers I've had.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter glass. Straight from the cellar.
A: Pitch black. A gentle pour yielded a finger and a half of mocha head. Left no lacing.
S: Bourbon, vanilla, and Coconut. A little booze too.
T: Bourbon and Oak are present. Also pick up some roasty coconut flavors. Bourbon and alcohol after taste.
M: Fairly thick with a light to medium carbonation.
Very good BA stout. Will definitely buy this again!

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a Bruery tulip. From notes.

A: A hard pour yields a half a finger dark khaki head that settles quickly to a ring of foam around the glass and a very thin island of foam. Rich dense dark black color. Oily/slippery legs that pull all traces of lacing back into the beer.

S: Smells of some dark fruits, but the nose is dominated by charred woody oak, some whiskey, a peaty fragrance, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Composed of dark chocolate, some dark fruits, and a whiff of oats. Peat, wood, oak, vanilla and boozy whiskey. At first the barrel characteristics are up front and mostly come through as oak and vanilla with whiskey/bourbon being the least prominent, but as the beer warms whiskey sort of takes over. Fruity, nutty, caramel whiskey. A vague resin/leafy hop presence fights to be noticed in the background. Definitely a beer that might appeal to a bourbon or whiskey drinker. For me, the whiskey presence was too much, and almost tasted like a shot of whiskey was dumped into a bottle of regular BORIS.

M: Kind of thin, and slippery. A bit oily as well. On the lower end of high carbonation pretty rich and full bodied, hot in the mouth and going down. Kind of beats up on your palate.

D: Too hot and boozy for me. Thought this wasn't even as good as regular BORIS.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Darkest brown with a super creamy fudge colored head that melts slowly to a mocha skim and leaves sheets of tan lace on the glass. The aroma of roasted dark malt, anise and toasted bourbon barrel is really nice, I could smell this beer for hours but..on the the drink. Molten fudge, rum soaked raisin, molasses, cocoa, freshly roasted coffee and a fairly heavy handed hop dosage that struggles to get through. As the beer warms slightly, the flavors grow more complex with mascerated dark fruity and nutty flavors blending perfectly with toasted oak. Rich and full bodied with an especially velvety smoothness. This is a truly decadent stout and is the best beer I've had from the Frog (no DORIS yet). A world class stout.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured this one into the same pint glass as B.O.R.I.S. and D.O.R.I.S. Looked the same as the non-barrel aged version. Almost no head, which subsided immediately. Very dark brown, clear body.

Aroma was almost the same as B.O.R.I.S. as well. Strong dark malt, strong dark fruits (mainly figs and prunes... should that be dried plums now?) Hops were light. Some tannins were discernable as well.

Taste was different. Tannins were noticeable, as well as surprisingly lighter fruits than the standard version (although some figs were still there). Finish was long, roasted malt. No coffee noticeable.

Mouthfeel was still incredible. Thick, rich, well balanced, and full bodied. But not overly heavy. Amazing.

Great drinkability marks for this one. It went down easily. I could probably do a couple of pints of this without a problem, maybe three given enough time. The quantity in the bottle was just perfect.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery