Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Shared by Matt recently (the other Matt). Thanks Matt! Pretty excited about this one, like I am with most hoppin' frog beers.

Beer is black and forms a brown head of small and medium bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to weak.

Aroma is sweet with a nice roast and a hint of bourbon. Smells pretty good.

I did not realize, foolishly that this was a bourbon barrel aged stout until I was in the middle of drinking it. The bourbon character grew on me a lot. It never got hot but it might have if I drank the whole 22 ounces by myself. The beer is medium bodied and has a sweetness to it. Its mildly alcoholic but doesn't finish dry. There is a slightness of chocolate and nice coffee like roast in the back. A very good beer.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 107 OG (25.3° P) 60 IBU, 9.4% ABV, "Keep refrigerated". No date.

Thanks go out to Sweemzander for mixing up the Russian River tasting with this bottle!

A - A dark roasted black beer with a deep caramel head emerges. Low retention with no head left over was disappointing considering the nice formation early on. Thick legs roll down the glass upon a swirl.

S - Deep roasted malts combine with a small molasses aroma that falls to the back with a splash of vanilla and a large, bold whiskey barrel nose. I appreciate how different the barrel aging smells from that of a typical bourbon barrel nose. The aroma has an overall cold, lightly metallic smell that thankfully doesn't get in the way. A light bit of chocolate appears on the finish.

T - Rich roasted malts provide a bitter chocolate and molasses flavor that's easily overpowered by whiskey barrel flavor. No oatmeal comes through at all.

M - Full-bodied and rich with a smooth texture that seems a little bit low but still good. A little warm alcohol is felt in sensation on the finish.

D - While it's a decent blended beer, the drinkability is a little bit low simply for the hot finish but it's still a solid beer. Where is the oatmeal though?

3.1/5  rDev -27.9%

Thanks to sweemzander for busting this one out of the cellar for us to share.

Poured into my tulip the beer is pitch black with a modest mocha hued head. Tiny bits of soapy lace fight to stay on top of the beer.

The aroma is full on whiskey. It's hard to pick out the other smells with the whiskey so pronounced. After some warming i can pick out hints of chocolate and coffee. I'm not sure if it's the barrel but I'm getting a solid dose of play-doh. This totally throws me off.

The flavor is pretty much all whiskey all the time. Hints of sweet dark chocolate and roast coffee are present but they keep getting pushed aside by the damn whiskey.

Full viscous body with very light if any carbonation.

Overall this bottle has at least a year on it and yet it was hot as hell. Too much whiskey for my taste. I will have to let my bottle sit for another year or so.

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Huge thanks to orcasteve for hooking me up with this one.

12 oz bottle poured into chalice

A: Pours black/super dark brown, slight foam head appears, but very difficult at this abv, beautiful swirls of mocha make up most of the head

S: Big whiff of whiskey is the first aroma, some hints of bitter coffee work in and out of the alcohol notes, and an ever so slight touch of chocolate at times, sometimes barely sweet other times playing off the roasted bitterness, however as expected whiskey is the dominant aroma here

T: Huge flavor, I literally said wow at the first taste, as opposed to the aroma the whiskey is more of an aftertaste, coffee takes on a leading role along with the prominent roasted malt, which also adds some sweetness is addition to its bitter roast, hops are detectable and work very well with the whiskey that builds in the finish, hops and alcohol fade in and out of each other, big warming notes once its all swallowed just like sipping whiskey

M: Surprisingly not heavy, starts nice and light thanks to some decent carbonation for the style, as the flavors deepen so does the body

D: High, I wasn't expecting that, its not a session beer, but you can't stop taking sips of it

Notes: This is one of my first few "big" barrel aged beers and it is delicious. I knew this beer was held in high regard, but I didn't know what to expect. The flavors are absolutely amazing and it is incredibly pleasant and easy to drink. The only thing that kept the aroma score down was the whiskey dominance, but I figured it would be like that.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

22oz. bottle split and poured into a snifter. No bottled date found.

(A)- Pours a pitch black color that produced a tan head that dissipated quickly to bubbles.

(S)- A dark roasted profile with molasses and cocoa with a hint of peanuts.

(T)- A good roastedness with molasses, cocoa, raisin, and a light nuttiness from the oats probably. Has a light warmth as it goes down.

(M)- A good carbonation level with a good balance to it. Smooth, yet has a good roasted profile. Has a slight warmth as it goes down from the whiskey barrel aging no doubt.

(D)- A good stout. Smooth, with the right flavors going on. For the $$ of what I paid for this however, I would much rather reach for something else instead; definitely not worth the hefty $17 price tag. Enjoyable though.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Thick black pour with some bubbly white head. Full of roasted aromas. The taste lives up to the hype, the brewery steps it up a notch. The whiskey adds to the complexity, it is not obtrusive to the thick roast and chocolate, and nuttiness. Delicious.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Review from notes in December 09. Damn this one was expensive from my trip to Philly. Side by side with the regular BORIS.

Poured very dark brown, nearly pitch black, nice maple candy head. The bourbon is very slight. You get the normal chocolate, hint of coffee, touch of roast and leather, but I'm looking for vanilla, oak, and smoke as well and I'm not getting a lot at all. Really had to dig for that one. One who enjoys subtlety will enjoy this beer. For what it is, I enjoy it.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Got the bottle via trade from Beerness thanks buddy

A - pours a deep black with a little tannish head that dissipates quickly leaving a thin ring around the edges of the glass

S - Smells of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and a hint of whiskey

T - follows the noise with strong coffee, chocolate and vanilla notes but the whiskey is more prevalent really a tasty beer

M - milkshake like, full bodied

D - at 9.4% it is surprisingly easy to drink

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 Batch 2 on trade from jwinship83

A- pours black, small light brown colored head. Not much lacing. Not much going on here. 3.5

S- Faint whiskey, charred roasted malt,

T- Similar with smell, slight whiskey nose, milk chocolate, caramel, heavily roasted malt, very slight hop bitterness at the end. Yum. Abv is well hidden. The whiskey is blended perfectly, it's not to much and mixes well with the complexity of this brew.

M- Smooth, creamy, even coating on palate.. nice

D- Great mouthfeel, complex flavors, a pleasure to drink.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

10 oz. pour served in a snifter

A - Brown/black, very little head, and brown lacing which doesn't last

S - Bourbon and vanilla

T - Whiskey is apparent from the moment it touches the tongue and is prevalent throughout the tasting. There are distinctive notes of toffee and molasses, and these elements, coupled with the lack of detectable hops, help to make this marginally sweeter than normal BORIS. At the same time, the bourbon aging works to mitigate the sugary side.

M - Very smooth; not as carbonated as the normal BORIS.

D - Despite having the same ABV %, the barrel-aged version was substantially hotter than the normal. This, along with the sweetness, make this beer slightly less drinkable than the non-aged version. It's good for a bourbon-aged stout, nonetheless.

Overall - a very good barrel-aged RIS, this is worth searching for. The nose and taste are more complex than the original BORIS, and if you like that beer, there's a good chance that you'll prefer this. I'm very glad that I had this and will look forward to drinking it again.

Economics - in my opinion, the incremental improvement in taste vs. the normal BORIS is only worth two or three dollars - while the bourbon and additional complexities improved that component, the balance and drinkability suffer a bit. If these beers were both on the shelf, I'd opt for the original if the difference in price was >= $3.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours an inky black with an obvious thickness. Minimal head at pour but all carbonation disappears after a minute or two. The nose at first is vanilla and bourbon with a noticeable alcohol. Again, waiting a bit the alcohol clears and makes room for some toasted malts. The flavor is divine. This thing is all bourbon and vanilla on the tongue. An touch of alcohol bite warms the mouth and the flavors linger like custard. The mouthfeel is medium-thick and very pleasant. This is one of the best balanced barrel aged stouts I've had, and has one of the most complete flavor profiles.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

I have rhinos00 over on BA to thank for this bottle. He hooked me up with this one in the Gentleman's Club BIF. This bottle has at least a year on it I belive. Served up in a tulip. Get on it.

A: Looks just like the regular BORIS. It has that shiny, inky black body that has some gloss to it. Its dark and not letting any light through whatsoever. Moving it around in the glass, you get that light yellow film being left on the glass. The beer appears to be thick and creamy. But yet again, there is pretty much zero head. There was a little bit of brown bubbles that came up, but they were minimal and disappeared quickly. No lace whatsoever. Has that somewhat boring look that the original had.

S: This shines here in the nose. First things first. The whiskey and wood really come out. This is nice and boozy with a good amount of vanilla wood notes. The best part is that it doesn't cover up the original BORIS aroma. Getting all of that hearty, earthy oatmeal that is nice and lightly sweet. Behind that you get the bitter chocolate presence, that is semi sweet and nicely bitter. This is great.

T: Hmmm. I will start off by saying this is good . . . probably a little better than good. BUT . . . the booze really overpowers this beer. The flavor profile is almost all boozy whiskey notes and vanilla. It kinda feels like a completely different beer without the BORIS base. I mean I am not getting any of the Oatmeal really at all that I got in the original. That was the best part for me. I am getting some chocolate notes along with some dark fruit (maybe plum, cherries and fig). With all that said, I still really like it but its a bit disappointing in some flavor arenas.

M: Coming across big and creamy like the OG BORIS. Has that nice weight to it that coats just enough, allowing flavors to linger and let you fully understand them. Getting a little more heat on the palate and throat than I remember from the original, but that may be my imagination stemming from the booze flavors. Aftertaste is all woody vanilla notes and booze.

D: This was interesting. Its really good but I feel a little let down. The best thing for me about the original BORIS was that huge oatmeal presence and this really doesn't have that at all in the flavor. The booze and whiskey notes really took over and completely changed the beer. Original BORIS became a standard for me, and I feel if you are going to screw with something, you need to make it better. And I truly can't tell you if it has become better and I fear it hasn't. Its good. Its quality, but it isn't blowing me away or making feel it improved BORIS. Ah well. Its still good and drinking well.

Serving Type: 22oz Bottle Vessel Type: Tulip Price:NA

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

22oz bottle obtained via Growling at the Moon from bb8189. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into a DFH tulip, formed an uneven dark brown skim above the opaque dark brown/black brew. Skim recedes to the rim and the slighted swirling in the center of the glass, with heavy legs as well as slow-falling lace. Aroma is vanilla, oak, dark sweetness, and alcohol.

Taste begins with dark syrupy sweetness, a peek of dried fruits and hops in the middle, and then oak and booze come along and kick ass. Swallow finds slight numbing, and definite lingering warmth. Mouthfeel is slickery smooth, with good drinkability in that the depth and variety of flavors invites you back for more. Busy offering, but still a nice treat.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A gift from Fred Karm, a terrific guy and great brewer. Thanks! This beer appears black, with a slight brown hue near the crest when held up to the light. Nice head and lacing. This is a delicious beer. The oats work very well with the wood. The blending and melding of flavors is particularly well done. There is a slight warming alcohol note in the finish. The feel is creamy and smooth, yet crisp carbonation gives it a well-balanced and very enjoyable feel. I highly recommend this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I've had the BA BORIS several times, but have never taken any notes. Cracked one open at Brodie's house-cooling party so I figured I'd toss up a review.

Poured into one of his pint glasses, the thick, black stout stacks up leaving a very dark brown head. The head looks extremely thick and sticks around for quite some time. Virtually none is left on the sides of my glass as I drink this one, but I gotta blame that on the glassware, I guess. All of the others that I have had have left large amounts of sticky lace throughout the drink.

Strong smells of vanilla-bourbon and chocolate. I really enjoy this beer, and the smell is a big factor. The barrels have really helped the B.O.R.I.S by giving them that sweet, vanilla smell. A bit of a detractor is the hot alcohol that comes with a deep breath, but this is minor in comparison to the big picture.

The taste is exactly what one would predict given the smell. Smooth. Damn smooth. Reminds me of Kate the Great in this respect...almost a velvety smoothness - and very creamy. Dark roasted malts give the roastiness to the brew, but there's a lot of other stuff going on in there as well. The sweet vanilla and caramel provide a great balance to a roasty coffee. The sweet is the initial flavor, before transitioning to this chocolate espresso. A deep, dark cherry rounds this thing off, before the bourbon finish kicks it out the door. Very impressive.

Still a bit hot. The flavor is excellent, but this will score a little bit lower on drinkability. Don't get me wrong, the vanilla-bourbon flavors from the barrel are what separate this beer to a great brew, but I find a bit more heat than I'd like. Being fairly available now-a-days, this is a beer that I keep downstairs and can go to when I'm running low on new stouts. Definitely a keeper.

Consumed: 4/17/2010

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

A barrel-aged version of my favorite stout? Sounds like I need to try this.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Duvel tulip black as black could be. The head is very small and light brown in color. It shrinks immediately to just a thin collar and some stray bubbles.

SMELL: Now that's nice. Everything you could ever want and more. Loads of chocolate mesh with intense vanilla joined with notes of coffee, caramel, oak, and then shot through with the piercing aroma of whiskey. Can I get this as an air freshener for my car?

TASTE: Starts off rich and luxurious with immense amounts of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. The whiskey flavor and bite starts to creep in across the palate before giving way on the finish. In its place, the coffee really intensifies and lasts roasty and nutty the entire way through.

MOUTHFEEL: Wonderfully milkshake-thick, which is ideal in my book. The carbonation is lower where it should be.

DRINKABILITY: Fine for the style, and fine for a chilly afternoon like this one. It'll last a while for sure, but I have no problem drinking the whole bomber.

While certainly a VERY different beer than regular B.O.R.I.S., this one should be world class on its own merits. Definitely seek this one out, as it's one of the best barrel-aged stouts I've ever had.

Yum!

I have to admit - despite the cheesy labels, I'm continually impressed by the Hoppin Frog stuff I try. This one smells great, tastes even better - a nice dark color with a smoooth malty chocolate flavor makes is VERY drinkable, its SUPER smooth as you drink. DEFINITELY something I'd try again... hopefully soon!

Tasty!

4.6/5  rDev +7%

I've been waiting to try this expensive but awesome looking beer for a while now. Finally found a night to do it, watching the Bruins kick the Flyers...I finally get to see if it's worth it.

A: Opens with a soft but distinct ppsssttt, but the heavy pour yields only a very small dark colored head that doesn't even cover the whole top. The beer itself is pitch black, blacker than deep space with some nice lookin legs on the sides of the glass.

N: I could smell the roast and chocolate on the pour. I dive in deeper battling back the urge to start drinking, and find the roast is not as much as I expected. It has some heavy roast but not loaded like some other RIS. The same can not be said for the chocolate, which is loaded. Lots of bakers chocolate, coco nibs, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coco crispies the cereal, etc. There's quite a bit of bourbon and oak with that, with a little vanilla. And with that is some woody esthers, like fresh saw dust almost. Then more dark malts, some crystal and caramel aromas, and hints of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Not sure if I should attempt to taste or just keep enjoying the nose, but alas I gotta. I take a mouthful, and the coffee and roast is a lot more dominant now. Still not sure heavy but def lets you know its there. Its super rich and creamy, smooth, velvety, and... umm... rich. It's very thick and syrupy and has legs on my tongue even. Then comes the chocolate, which comes in waves and feels like it's melting in my mouth (not my hand luckily). As it warms in my mouth the chocolate turns from a creamy milk chocolate to a bakers and dark chocolate and fresh melted cocoa nibs. The literal feeling of it melting in my mouth as it warms is really cool. Luscious and rich, it adds more sweet dark malts, with dark crystal and some toasty flavors. More sweetness with caramel, molasses, and gallons of malts. Some bourbon cuts through all the heavy beer (if I can call it that). A little oak and wood with all that, and even hint of vanilla as it warms. A little bitterness coming from the roasted malts but they did a really good job of keeping the bitterness at bay compared to most super heavy RIS beers. A slight hint of warming booze and taste of it.

M: Must I say it again... oh why not cause its so great, super thick and luscious, creamy, smooth, heavy and super thick, but almost no carbonation.

F: Still a little bitterness but its very little comparatively. Still semi sweet from all the heavy malts, with more lingering brown sugar and molasses, as well as tons upon tons of malts. It just sticks all over the mouth and I can practically feel it slowly dripping down with legs, like used motor oil does slowly down the oil pan. Lots of lingering luscious chocolate as well, all kinds still. Almost no more roasted or coffee flavors, just more smooth dark malts and chocolate. WIth all that is hints of lingering vanilla and a little oak, but not really any bourbon anymore either. Hints of warming booze... wait, no... yeah! I do get a little coffee now. On another sip as it slowly thinned on my mouth and evaporated, or I mean slowly fell off, I got some more lingering coffee and roast, but then was gone again. Long stickiness too as it just coats everything with a probably 1030 gravity liquid of really heavy viscosity.

Overall an amazingly tasty beer, with great smoothness and mouth feel. Drinks like it is 9.4% (which it is), some really nice malt flavors and lots of chocolate, hints of roast. Could have used a little more of teh bourbon and oak flavors, and some carbonation. Otherwise one of my new fav stouts (not top, but up there, probably top 5).

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Enjoyed this one to celebrate my 24th birthday.

Black pour. Very small tan head retains well, and leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma is of sweet whiskey, charred malts, and oatmeal. Basically smells like a spiked black coffee.

Great subtle whiskey flavor. Barrel aging imparts a nice sweet, but not hot flavor. Lots of great subtle flavors rather than bold, overpowering ones. That said, BA BORIS has a monstrous roasted malt character, giving it loads of dark chocolate and coffee flavors.

Nice, thick, rich body. Carbonation is appropriate. Slight creaminess. Ridiculously easy drinker for a 9+% BA imperial stout. I set the glass down during the first contemplative sip, then immediately picked it back up for more. It was a challenge to let this one warm up. Great stuff.

3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a snifter. Slow-blooming head, a rich chestnut color. Head quickly subsides into inky stillness with a touch of tawny at the edges.

Smell is fantastic, a mix of vanilla, wood, a bit of alcohol burn.

Taste has a bit of a tannic bite to it that I am not sure I care for. This beer is at its best at room temperature as this bite tends to subside as the beer warms up. Very nice bitterness on the finish.

It's nice but not extraordinary for me.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A - A nice dark brown color with some ruby on the edges. Small head that never amounted to much and quickly disappeared.

S - Not as much of a whisky smell as I would have guessed, some cocoa and coffee notes. Lot of roasty notes and some mild vanilla.

T - Better than I would have expected. Nice roasted taste with subtle bourbon and vanilla on the back of some minimally sweet cocoa and a present but not overpowering coffee flavor. Don't really notice the alcohol, and it finishes with a bitter touch.

M - Lighter side of heavy, pretty creamy, not tons of carbonation.

D - Really easy drinker considering what it is. I got through this bomber with no trouble, and was looking for more, dangerous.

Thanks to ne0m00re for this 22-oz bottle. Poured into snifters.

A = Opaque mahogany with a large billowy head comprised of a mix of small and large bubbles. Head is caramel with light reddish tint, recedes slowly leaving only very light lacing.

S = First and foremost I get a ton of oak smells with vanilla, marzipan, hot buttered popcorn, hot chocolate with melted marshmallows.

T = The flavors are better melded than I had expected from the smells, but most of the elements remain the same. There is a strong oaked vanilla flavor with a strong accompaniment of American coffee mixed with a semi sweet chocolate powder and heavy cream and perhaps only a slight amount of white sugar.

M = Heavy body, very full, creamy mouthfeel, creamy. Great mouthcoating.

D = This is very good, but I think small amounts are probably most appropriate. I don't think it is quite as approachable as the non-barrel aged version, but it is definitely a great beer.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Green capped bottle poured into a snifter on 12/17/09

Pours a dense brown & settles black. A thin, bubbly head dissipates almost instantly. Swirling the glass revives a bit of dark tan foam. Retention is minimal & mainly kept to the inside perimeter of the glass. Sporadic circles of lace toward the beginning, with no left by the end.

The nose isn't as potent as I would expect. It has an effervescent quality upfront. Still, there is a sharp bourbon booziness that is mellowed by the smoothness of oatmeal & oak. Hints of chocolate & roasted malts abound with a notable presence of dark fruits - namely prunes & dark cherries.

Smooth swaths of oatmeal lead into a solid chocolate middle which is the prevalent flavor here. Roasted malts are in the background; dark sugar undertones. Smooth & earthy notes of wood with notions of bourbon & vanilla. Hints of dark fruits on the finish. Very nice, indeed.

While full bodied & robust, BA B.O.R.I.S. isn't particularly dense or gritty. It actually has quite a bit of slickness to it. Very low carbonation is rather smooth. Alcohol heat is appreciable but isn't too harsh.

On the whole this beer is impressive & I found it to be quite enjoyable. Certainly it's one to be sipped. Worth picking up a bottle when it's around.

Thank you, Alex!

Jet black with a thin, brown head with rather poor retention and lacing, this still manages to retain more than a modicum of attractiveness. Beer goggles?
The nose is excellent. Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, a little leather, cocoa, coffee and plenty of raisin, this is great stuff. A touch earthy too? The palate opens with chocolate, coffee and bourbon and plenty of heat. Alcohol, vanilla, chocolate are present. This is super smooth, much like an oatmeal raisin cookie. Sweet finish with medium roast, this is a great beer.

**Edit 15 Feb 2012**
Bottle, batch 1. Thank you, George!

I believe my last review was for batch 3. I don't have much to add, except that there isn't any leather. This is also a lot more oxidized, with port and raisins. The palate has an excellent blend of roast, chocolate, caramel and a rather wonderful bourbon character. Vanilla, (toasted) coconut and some bourbon. Excellent stuff, I'll let my scores stand. Highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Shared this at Dyan's place yesterday.

BA Boris pours a blackish brown color with good head retention and decent lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, with leather, tobacco, coffee and dark chocolate. Flavors replicate the nose in this fairly sweet stout, but it delivers more flavor then I was expecting from the aroma profile. The chocolate flavor really comes on strong on the palate, along with considerable coffee and vanilla. There is a hint of leather and tobacco in the long finish. Mouthfeel is fairly soft and creamy, and seemed to improve the longer the beer sat in the glass. Drinkability is good, with the alcohol well disguised.

Re-sampled on 6/28/11. Very little difference from previous version. Still quite excellent. Did find the aroma profile a bit more attractive, and so adjusted review score slightly.

This was a very easy to take, very enjoyable beer. Haven't had the regular Boris in some time, but this is clearly superior to the regular version of this beer (IMHO). Impressive.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery