Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
4.17/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to a guy at my local beer store that gave me this. He got it from a customer that thought he liked beer. And he gave it to me, for free. That's why I keep going back.

Pours dark/black with nearly no head. smells of bourbon, oak and vanilla. Initial taste had a bit of lingering spice, but after that, it drank smooth.

Very nice stout!

-Bye

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

From 11/25/10 notes. Did a side by side tasting of BORIS, BA BORIS, and DORIS with my brother and dad. Served from a 22 oz. bottle, 2010 vintage.

a - Pours a dark black, with almost no head or carbonation. Showing much less head and carbonation than both BORIS and DORIS.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark fruit, and chocolate. I felt it had less chocolate in smell than BORIS and DORIS.

t - Tastes strongly of bourbon, and also some oak, vanilla, dark fruit, hops, and chocolate.

m - Full bodied and low carbonation. Smooth and a sipper for sure.

d - I thought this was a good RIS, but ranked third to me compared to the other two in the tasting. I felt it had a lot of characteristics in the the smell and taste that BORIS had, but that the bourbon really overpowered them and muted them a bit. While still enjoyable because I love bourbon, I didn't feel it was as balanced as BORIS. Would certainly have again and recommend, but wouldn't seek out considering BORIS is always on the shelves.

Original Score = 4 4 4 4 4
___
6/30/11 updated. Had a 2 year old bottle of BA BORIS side by side with BORIS, DORIS, and BORIS Royale on 06/25/11 and BA BORIS BLEW the other 3 out of the water. This beer with 2 years on it is amazing, and the bourbon really mellows a bit, making it a can't miss. My suggestion is get 2 or 3 bottles and forget about them in your cellar for 2 years.

Updated Score = 4 4.5 4.5 4 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle (Batch 1) generously shared by nonstick. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anny. snifter.

A - Pours a pitch black color...when held to a light it shows brown highlights and excellent clarity. A full finger of rocky cappuccino colored foam lingers briefly and dies to a thick foamy collar. Plenty of lacing coats the glass as I make my way through this one.

S - Dark chocolate, powdered cocoa, vanilla (especially as it warms), a toll house cookie dough like character, plenty of bourbon, some coffee and a touch of molasses.

T - Not what I was expecting from the aroma, but pretty damn good on its own. Lots of complexity here - rich chocolate, mild bourbon (much lower than the aroma would indicate), coffee, vanilla smoothness, caramel, slightly sweet overall. Dark roast and espresso join in as the beer approaches room temperature. I also got a good amount of raspberry in the flavor...I thought this tasted a lot like dark chocolate covered raspberry jelly candies. There was some debate about this at the tasting with others getting prunes (which I didn't get at all).

M - Medium full bodied with light/middle level carbonation. The slightest hint of alcohol warmth creeps in...very smooth overall with a bit of an oily and slick character.

D - Very smooth...this is barrel aging done right. Not too hot, great flavor and complexity additions from the barrels. Gotta try a batch 2, if they are this good I'm gonna have to buy a couple before they disappear.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Reviewed from notes.

Served in a tulip glass. Pours a very dark black color (redundant, right?) with a clear amount of viscosity. Not much of a head but some nice legs on the side of the glass. Nose is rich with loads of dark chocolate, roasted malt, black licorice, bourbon, some like oak, and a touch of vanilla. The taste melds the base beer and the bourbon quite well, adding quite a bit of chocolate character. Really nice and thick without too much booze, this is one heavy-hitting RIS.

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured into a snifter. 2010 vintage. Split the bomber with a buddy.

4.0 A: Pitch black color. One finger of creamy/frothy hybrid light brown head. Retention isn't that great and leaves just a touch of lacing.

5.0 S: In your face aroma. Lots of dark chocolate, surpisingly intense coffee, and roasted barley. The bourbon is just as intense as I like. It complement the beer without dominating the aroma. Leather, vanilla, and wood are secondary. Mix of strong aromas than all complement each other well.

5.0 T: Taste mirrors the nose closely. Lots of coffee, some dark chocolate, and good amount of roasted barley. Again, the bourbon does not dominate, but rather complements. Bourbon, oak, vanilla, and leather, but no astringency to be found. Mild toastiness and a touch of smoke. Just really, really tasty.

4.5 M: Heavier medium to lighter heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Reasonably creamy and super smooth. Could benefit from a bit more body, but overall this is good here.

5.0 D: I've had this a couple times in the past, but it's never been as good as this bottle. Perfect bourbon contribution without the pesky tannins that sometimes accompany. Hoppin Frog makes some great beer and this might be the apex of quality. I could drink another bomber and still want more. Just an overall really solid brew.

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a finger of dark brown head over a thick pitch liquid. Smells clean oak wood, vanilla, bourbon, char, coffee, chocolate, toast, and mild caramel.

Tastes waxy oak with bourbon and strong vanilla. The creaminess and sweet chocolate of the regular version of this is absent, a real shame. This is an example of a good that became a lesser beer by time spent in a barrel. Coffee and very mild chocolate. Drying oak and strong bourbon finish rubs me a bit the wrong way. Thick mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Decent, but hard to finish my glass.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I've had this beer a few times now and figured it was time to give it it's proper review...

This was sampled today and it's the first batch from '08, I believe.

Still pours black as motor oil with a dark tan head that doesn't stick around long, leaving a small halo around the edges of my tulip glass.

Smells of heavy roast, sweet malts, dark chocolate, black licorice, maple syrup and molasses. Quite decadent.

Wow, delightful! Complex mix of sweet, tasty malts, chocolate, coffee grounds and a coating of black licorice in the aftertaste.

This is a a thick, full-bodied and oily beer with just the right amount of carbonation to keep it refreshing on the tongue.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Body is a nearly opaque dark brown (almost black hue). Light only shines through on the edges of my snifter with a slight reddish purple glow in the midnight body. Pours with a barely significant <1 finger dark brown head that emerges slowly after the pour and fades completely almost as quickly.

S- The prominent character upfront is the whiskey barrel. A hint of booze and a lot of oak. Behind this is a more typical imperial stout nose. Oatmeal, anise, rich, dark chocolate. The balance is much heavier on the side of the barrel.

T- The flavor is much like the nose-but is much more balanced. A cocoa presence is the highlight upfront with typical RIS like characteristics and is pretty sweet upfront. The finish is packed with a lot of alcohol heat and oak barrel flavor. Left to linger is some sweetness and a big alcohol heat.

M- Low carbonation and medium to heavy weight body that is slightly syrupy.

D- This is a very good BA stout overall. There is a good balance between the barrel and stout characteristics in the flavor as well. Not the best BA stout out there but this is a very good one!

4.3/5  rDev 0%

a- Pours a pitch black with a minimal amount of light brown lacing head.
s- There is a very sweet malty/ oatmeal smell that is very strong.
t- Starts off as a very rich chocolate taste that switches to a oatmealish coffee taste towards the end of the drink.
m/d- A very enjoyable drink that is just sweet enough to make you drink a little slower. It has a very full bodied, sweet taste and is a very enjoyable drink. I have had this a couple of times now and it keeps on getting better with age.

4.21/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is dominated by the smell of whisky from the barrel, which is unfortunate because it tends to drown out the good smoky and molasses stout aroma. There is a nice undertone of charred wood, though. It pours a nice oily opaque sable with a rather thick and fine-bubbled, if not too persistent, chocolaty tan head. Flavor has tones of molasses, quality roast coffee, unsweet chocolate and licorice, with a strong and almost overwhelming overtone of whisky - good whisky, but that tone could be a wee bit more subtle. Texture is silky smooth with a decent fizz and a nice bite from the whisky.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a GameWorks shaker pint glass.

Third bottle in our Hallowe'en mini-tasting. It pours a jet onyx topped by over a finger of light-ish brown foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, milk chocolate, oak, pumpernickel, and a slight bit o' whiskey. The taste has all of the aforementioned bits, along with molasses, vanilla, and caramelized brown sugar. The body is a light heavy, with a light carbonation and a farily chewy feel. Overall, a very good stout, decidedly better than the normal BORIS. It may just be strictly mental, but this was a mighty tasty offering, the highlight of the evening.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for pulling the trigger and sharing the nice RIS with me.

This beer pours a viscous blackness an gives a nice tan foam that dies off after a quick time. The smell is really really nice. This smell is mostly of cocoa, oak, bourbon, vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, and plum. The flavor is raspberry, bourbon, and cocoa. The mouthfeel is velvety smooth, and only a little bit of the bitterness, but it works well with the fruity nature of the beer. The higher ABV of the beer does work against it, but in all honesty this is a really good beer and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Poured into my pint glass, again, this brew is easily one of darkest stouts I've ever poured. Jet black with a head darker then a good brown ale. Less bubbly then then regular BORIS, which lends to better head retention and a lot better lacing.

S: Of the bourbon barrel aged stouts I've had, the aroma is not as dominate of bourbon as one would expect. As with BORIS, BABORIS lacks complexity that I would like. It retains the oatmeal, bitter sweet chocolate notes that I love. I'm almost inclined to bump the rating up a notch, but this brew falls just a tad bit short.

T: Light coffee/espresso, chocolate, hints of liquorice, and oat meal to round the whole damn thing off. Smooth bourbon dominates as the brew warms. Notes of vanilla are present stronger than most BA beers.

MF: Mouthfeel is killer. Still smooth, and has not thinned much considering this baby is barrel aged.

D: Drinkability is still amazing as always.

Overall, BABORIS is proof that any stout can be enhanced with barrel aging. Perfect for a winter night.

I'll save the detailed A/S/T/M/D descriptions for the experts. Others describe beers so much better than I do. I'm an average hard-working American whose Monday through Friday beer is Genesee Cream Ale (just one or two after I come home from work at 11:30 pm). On the weekends, I have two or three decent beers that I can fit within my budget. Here's my review of this beer:

Bought from Warehouse Beverage in a 22 oz. bomber. Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

Wow, this is probably the best beer I have ever had in my life! Looked like motor-oil. Very thin tan head. Not much carbonation. Unbelievable aromas of vanilla, chocolate, and coffee. EXTREMELY drinkable. Flavors matched the aromas I described above! Amazing that you don't taste the alcohol considering it's 9.4% ABV! The ONLY downside is that it was $13.99. But I guess you get what you pay for. Can't recommend this one highly enough!

3.87/5  rDev -10%

Spilt this bottle between two snifters. We were presented with a small tan head that disappeared to a wisp of lace. The body of the brew was a typical stout black with some burgundy highlights around the side of the glass from the barrel.

I got some vanilla and some roasted malts in the nose. I sat on this bottle so I didn't get to much booze coming off of this one. The flavor was good as well. There was enough roasted flavors and the bourbon barrel sweetness permeates this one. Yet the mouthfeel is a tad thin for a oatmeal brew. That did surprise me because the regular brew had more body to it.

The drinkability is fine I did enjoy every sip of the glass.
A good barrel aged stout I'd buy it again but a little pricy

4.47/5  rDev +4%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip. I can't find a date on the bottle.

Look: literally no head forms on this despite an aggressive pour. Some bubbles form hugging the sides of the glass but that's it. The bubbles are light brown. Looks dark brown, almost black even when held to the light. The closest thing to a highlight is the bottle of the glass which is still a fairly dark brown. I can't see any carbonation. Subsequent pours lead to a very thin head, which is less than one finger. It leaves no lacing behind and only retains for about thirty seconds.

Smell: very inviting for a RIS. I smell the roasted malt first and foremost along with a hint of oakiness. I'm trying to pick up the alcohol but I don't get it. Smells very good and I'm looking forward to diving in.

Taste: Up front there's the taste of the roasted malt, molasses and dark chocolate. The barrel flavor on this one is very, very subdued and I love that because it seems like barrel aged beers sometimes tend to be way too bourbon flavored. The coffee flavor in the finish is very strong and its very pleasant. As it warms, the barrel flavors become much more potent but not so much as to ruin the flavor for me.

Feel: fairly flat but not in a bad way. Silky smooth and fairly chewy. Very full bodied. I see this beer described as having some heat to it but I'm not picking up the alcohol burn at all. Even as it warms and the bourbon flavor comes out more, there's no burn that I can detect.

Drink: insanely drinkable for a RIS and for a beer that is 9.4% ABV. If I wasn't intentionally taking my time with this guy, the bomber would be done and I'd be sloshed trying to get this review in.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this beer. I had picked it up when I wanted to get into barrel aged beers to see what the fuss was about, had a few I didn't like, and wasn't entirely looking forward to this. However, an empty beer fridge led to this one being given a fair shake and it seriously delivered. I will pick up the regular version as soon as I see it available and will be giving Hoppin' Frog a try whenever I see it in the future. Give this one a try and you'll be glad you did.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours opaque black with very very very little head--what head there is consists of tan wisps on the surface of the beer. I'd like to see SOME foam on the beer, it doesn't need a bunch, just a little. Smell is decent, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, a bit of oak in there too. Taste follows suit, some creamy vanilla and oak from the aging, but follows through with a robust and lingering roasted malt, chocolate, and espresso profile. Quite delicious, especially after I let it warm a bit. The aging doesn't really add all that much to this beer, in my opinion. In fact, the underlying stout is the best part. I haven't had regular BORIS, but I bet it's a better value. Thick and smooth on the feel, big stout territory for sure. Very low carbonation, for some reason now I'm thinking the feel is similar to GI BCBS, though it's been a couple of months since I've had one. Good drinkability, a sipper for sure. Nice beer, but I probably won't get it again at $14 a pop.

3.87/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. fresh from the brewery, bought on site!

Appearance: A very deep dark color, but not quite black. Something like dark mahogany. Fizzy little head that dies quickly. Pours and looks like an old port. Absolutely no lacing.

Smell: Dry fruits, oak, some vanilla. The barrel is definitely there. Some spice and sugar sweetness. Booziness. Complex but not overwhelming, a nicely balanced nose.

Taste: Thinner than expected, not as good as appearance and smell. Lots of vanilla upfront, but not aggressive. You can taste the bourbon barrel. Some faint bitterness as it goes down. Dark chocolate around. But no oatmeal whatsoever.

Mouthfeel: A total letdown here. Underwhelming. Watery, no carbonation. Thin body, thin finish- not right for a beer of this caliber. Feels like it should have been aging longer?

Drinkability: High! I pounded a bomber in no time. But maybe this is not so good for such a big beer... goes down easy. I wanted more, though, in terms of flavor and "bigness". A good but disappointing beer. I enjoy the regular B.O.R.I.S. better.

Also, the price issue> it goes for $13.95 at the brewery in Akron, Ohio. A lil' high.

(Other beers I have tried from Hoppin' besides Barrel B.O.R.I.S. and regular B.O.R.I.S. include D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer, Mean Manalishi Double IPA and Fresh Frog: Raw Hop Imperial Pale Ale)

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Hoppin' Frog Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout
HUGE thanks to Brian23456 for this one--thanks Brian!

Marked 6/09 on the cap. Taken out of the fridge and allowed to warm to proper temperature.

A: An aggressive pour into an etched Duvel tulip yields little head, a ¼" dark tan coating which recedes within a couple seconds. Held up to a lamp, no light penetrates it.

S: Chocolate, citric hops, dark fruit, roast, and a well integrated vanillin/oak and bourbon character. Quite a bit of vanilla in fact, with the roast providing an underlying acidity. Light spiced character.

T: Citric hops melding with pleasant dark fruit, all covered in dark chocolate. Vanilla follows, with the spicy bourbon character providing support and keeping things interesting. Sweet then bitter, lightly tannic finish.

M: Velvetty, with low carbonation. Nice and viscous, while not needing to be chewed. A perfect match for this beer.

D: This is a delicious beer. I'm not sure how it is fresh, but the vanilla character in this slightly aged version is big and can definitely stand up to whatever else is in here. Well done Hoppin' Frog!

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Pretty similar to the regular offering, plus bourbon, oak and vanilla. Pours a thick black color with a smallish dark brown head. Aromas of bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate covered espresso beans. On the palate, a little thinner than the regular version, with a good amount of bourbon/oak flavor. Good, but nothing remarkable.

4.17/5  rDev -3%

Drank from a 1 pint 6 fl. oz./22 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
Served in a snifter

Absolute pitch black in appearance. Not a ray of light penetrated the viscous, oily liquid. The beer was topped by a thin, mocha-colored ring of lace that lingered for much of the drink.

The aroma was amazing from the get-go. As soon as I cracked the cap, notes of bourbon, vanilla and chocolate filled the air. Sweet and boozy. Brown sugar came through as well. Slightly roasty with some deep, dark, French roast coffee notes.

While the nose was smooth and sweet, the flavor profile was a bit harsh, yet rather complex. Super woody. Charred malts dominated. Espresso and bakers chocolate notes also came through strong. Some dark fruits appeared as well. The finish was rather dry and astringent. Burnt and somewhat boozy. A touch hot. Bitter, piney hops were detectible as well.

The liquid was medium/full-bodied. A bit thinner than I anticipated for the style. Smooth and creamy with a fine, moderate, tongue-blanketing effervescence.

After trying both the regular B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout and the barrel-aged version, I found the former to be surprisingly smoother and more drinkable. Perhaps this beer could benefit from another year or so in the cellar.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Slightly murky very dark brown color. Almost opaque. Short lived, tan head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring.

S - Deep dark malts, raisins, chocolate, oaky vanilla, roasty and a little earthy. Boozy alcohol is only a tiny bit distracting.

F/M - Caramel, dark roasty malts, cocoa and bitter baker's chocolate. Moderately high hop bitterness, accentuated by roastiness. Warm boozy alcohol is rather pleasant (better than the aroma suggests). Medium full bodied with moderately low carbonation. Chocolaty vanilla aftertaste.

D - Boozy and big. Very assertive. A sipper for sure, but not much more than a full glass. The second half of this bomber is gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

4.37/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a pitch black that has small brown head. This looks incredibly thick. Smells of vanilla, whiskey, and oatmeal with lots of roasted malt. Flavour has nice amount of bitterness, with some alcohol from the whiskey. Quite smooth and thick mouthfeel. I think I prefer their to the non BA version, but they are both nice.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Bottle courtesy of jojmdma. His original box got "lost," so thanks heaps for providing a second box that inculded this gem. Cheers!

From a bomber into a snifter

Note: Batch #2, June 2009. Drunk with one year of age and directly after regular BORIS.

APPEARANCE: Pours really thick and dark out of the bottle. Otherwise, very similar to regular BORIS. An aggressive pour yields a cascading 1+ finger, medium looking dark mocha head that quickly fades to a splotchy wisp and ring. Jet black body and zero carbonation evident. A ring and splotchy wisp remains until the end leaving some faint lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Very similar to regular BORIS with a nice, strong presence of bourbon and vanilla. Roasted malts, smoke, dark baker's chocolate, and the oats are very apparent. Slight hints of caramel, tobacco, and coffee notes, with a solid base of bourbon and vanilla from the barrel. A complex nose, and slightly bolder than the non BA version. Nice.

TASTE: Follows regular BORIS exactly, but with a strong, but not overwhelming, presence of bourbon and vanilla. Roasted and smoky malts, dark baker's chocolate and a good dose of oats again. Dark pure chocolate with a nice balance of bitter coffee and sweet caramel on the finish. Oak, with plenty of bourbon and vanilla provide a nice base for the other flavors. Bold and lingering aftertaste of roasted malt and chocolate, with plenty of well-balanced flavor from the barrel. The original BORIS is still there and the barrel plays a great role, meshing well with the other flavors, but not dominating them.

PALATE: Medium-full body, lower end carbonation, and creamy smooth on the palate. Goes down smooth, very soft and easy, not bite at all, and finishes slightly mouth-coating. Slightly warming after the swallow. Oats do their soft, smooth work here. Same as regular BORIS, but slightly less carbonation.

OVERALL: Fantastic! Just as good of a BA stout as BORIS is a regular imperial stout. Both are very good brews. Being able to try regular BORIS and BA BORIS back to back really gave me a chance to taste how the barrel played a roll here. This is a top notch barrel aged stout; well-worth seeking out and trying. The regular BORIS is still there, but the barrel lends another level of complexity without overpowering the original brew. Lots of great flavors and nuances going on here, and a plenty drinkable brew to boot. I had no trouble finishing the bomber myself. Thanks heaps for this one Jojo.

Serving type - 22 oz bottle

Apperance - Black as night. Creamy thick 1/2 head Some decent lacing.

Smell - Whiskey, Barley, malt and alcohol, some molasses is present giving it a dark fruit, plum/date aroma.

Taste - Starts out with sweet chocolate malts and whiskey. Hops are mixed in there and bring out some bitterness and fruitness. Dark fruits like rasin, plum and dates add some flavor and sweetness. Has a nut and vanilla finish.

Mouthfeel - Its strong, thick and quite the mouth crusher. Tounge gets malts, whiskey, and booze. Palette gets bittered from hops, and numbed from the booze.

Overall - Very nice, even better then regular boris. Rather smooth and balanced, and has some sweetness to add to the strong whiskey and malt kick. This beer is damn close to the greatness that is kbs, try this!

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery