Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
TurdFurgison

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

I just finished my 3rd Batch 1 (not by myself, and not all in the same night), and I'm seriously blown away by this beer. This is near perfection, a dangerously addictive stout.

The beer is dark brown, opaque, with a thin but solid-looking tan head. The aroma is just about perfect, I have a hard time believing this is a barrel aged version of the standard B.O.R.I.S. This beer is rich with chocolate roasted malts, some coffee and more complex esters than I ever had in the standard beer. The flavors all come through strong in the taste, more sweet than anything else but very well balanced with the roasted toasty malts. I didn't get much of the barrel (vanilla or oak) but the beer itself is a near masterpiece of flavors. The body is thick and silky smooth, not as thick as Dark Lord but not too far off, in honesty this is a better overall package than Dark Lord (having tried them side by side, this is my position). Strongly recommended, buy this beer if and when you see it.

10-03-2009 01:09:38 | More by TurdFurgison
r0nyn

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a bomber into my Founders tulip. Shared with a fellow beer lover. Gold cap, so I'm assuming one of the 2009 batches.

Completely pitch black in the glass. Pretty sure you'd need one of those fancy NASA radio telescope things to punch through that inky darkness. A quarter-inch thick head the color of milk chocolate quickly dissipates, leaving oozy, spotty lacing clinging to the inside of the glass. Looking at the surface of the beer, the legs on this beast are readily apparent as the whorls of brown lace swirl atop a black pool of nothingness. An absolutely picture perfect example of an imperial stout. There's a huge whiskey presence in the nose, readily discerned from the moment you pop the cap on this bad boy. The barrel aging imparts all the right aromas to the beer, from sweet vanilla to hints of oak and dark fruit. There's a definite chocolate component to the smell as well, and it becomes more prevalent as the beer warms. Color me excited!

The taste is a melding of everything that is good and right in the world. I almost never give out 5s for taste, but this one just reaches up and grabs it before I have a chance to react. Sweet vanilla greets the tongue, followed by all of the flavors in the nose, and I do mean all of them. Dark fruit and oak are discernible, fusing with the chocolate to create a phenomenal tasting experience. Past the initial barrage of sweetness, the dark chocolate essence takes over. I really haven't tasted this much bittersweet dark chocolate in any other imperial stout I've sampled. As the beer warms, there is some mild whiskey-tinged alcohol that can be detected on the back end, but really only if you're actively looking for it. Any hops that this beer had have exited, as the only bitterness comes from the dark cocoa notes. Finishes on a drying note with equal parts bitter and sweet dancing over the tongue, leaving you wanting more and more. The body is full and well-done, with a pleasing creaminess and a fleeting dash of carbonation on the back end. A little bit more viscosity would have put this beer over the top, but given everything else, I'm not going to complain at all.

The regular B.O.R.I.S. is a wonderful RIS, but put it in whiskey barrels and it becomes a revelation. It's nearly 10% in ABV content, but I had to consciously pace myself in order to keep my wits about me. It's monumentally delicious and deserves the ridiculous score I give it. Simply, utterly, sublimely fantastic in almost every way. Bravo, Hoppin' Frog. Bravo.

01-24-2012 22:18:35 | More by r0nyn
bluejacket74

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours black with about a half inch brown head. The head went away quickly, and there's just a bit of lacing. The aroma is mostly sweet and malty, there's roasted malt, dark fruit/berries and chocolate along with some light aromas of oak, vanilla and bourbon. Taste is similar to the aroma, however the oak and bourbon flavors are stronger than the aroma would indicate. Also, all of the flavors mesh well together. No one flavor overpowers the others. There's also a nice slight bitter hoppy finish. Mouthfeel/body is full, it's creamy, a bit slick and has low carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, it's very smooth and extremely easy to drink. It's probably meant to be a sipping beer, but I had problems just sipping it because I liked it so much. I think this is an excellent beer. I liked the regular BORIS a lot, and the Barrel Aged verson is just as good if not better in my opinion. I could drink this all the time if available. Definitely recommended.

04-17-2009 23:04:40 | More by bluejacket74
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured pitch black with a minimal tan head. Nose has light hints chocolate, , coffee, roasted malts, vanilla, coffee, oak and bourbon. Taste coffee, chocolate, vanilla, oak, and mild bourbon. Big roastiness and the bourbon is well hidden. ABV is upfront for sure. It tasted hotter than it is. Loved this beer!

08-13-2009 02:02:10 | More by barleywinefiend
levifunk

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

gold cap bottle, so mostly likely batch 2.

a - pour it deep black. opaque. lower carbonation/head.

s - sweet whiskey, dark fruit, chocolate, roasted malts, and a bit of tobacco.

t - so smooth. i love this beer. perfect balance between whiskey and the chocolate caramel sweetness. I get a bit of coffee, but that might be the roasted malts.

m - thick, chewy, perfect carbonation level for me.

o - my only negative thought on this beer when having it fresh was that it was a bit hot, but with a couple years on it this is perfect.

11-28-2010 05:02:23 | More by levifunk
tut2528

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A: pours a like a standard RIS, with about 1/2 inch of head and thin lacing as it settles

S: huge, huge sweetness of butterscotch, vanilla and brown sugar. The malt and bourbon create an awesome backbone and balances out the brew perfectly

T: wow. very sweet just like the nose indicated. Raisins, vanilla, malt, bourbon, are all present and there is a subtle hop character in the finsih that adds more complexity and balances out the brew nicely.

M: big full bodied, chewy, leaves a nice sweetness on the lips that lingers until the next sip.

O: think this beer is awesome. the complexity is enjoyable and the balance is perfect in my opinion. in addition, the beer has a very high drinkability. only wish it wasn't as pricey, but i find most of this brewery overpriced so it was expected. by far my favorite offering from Hoppin Frog and much better that

01-13-2012 17:26:14 | More by tut2528
Jcb890

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

This is the first batch of BA BORIS.

A - The beer poured a deep black color with a small dark tan/brown head. Lacing was about average.

S - First smell is a vanilla and a lot of chocolate.

T - The barrel aged factors in more in the nose than in the taste on this one, but it is nice and subtle. I liked the fact that it was not overpowering at all. You get some nice vanilla to go along with the oatmeal, chocolate and coffee. I really enjoyed this one a lot.

M - Nice and silky smooth.

D - In my opinion, quite drinkable. It is very smooth and easy to drink. Having a keg of this would be wonderful.

Overall I really really enjoyed the 1st batch of BA BORIS and may post up an edit to this when I try the 2nd batch of BA BORIS to compare the two. This is one of my favorite barrel aged beers.

07-28-2009 03:01:49 | More by Jcb890
BA_Berto

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

What a beer! The last time that I remember being this happy with a wonderfully balanced BA Stout was when I drank BCBS and Parabola! That is so might fine company!

A- Black as night with quickly disappearing head. After a couple minutes, only traces of head remain on the surface.

S- Vanilla, Bourbon, and roasted malts. Absolutely delicious!

T- WOW! This taste like marshmallows that were soaked in bourbon, and that slowly heated up over a fire to make the perfect S'more. Fantastic!

M- Perfect! Coats the tongue, smooth as can be, and goes down so easily! Did I say WOW already?

O- Amazing! This is a top notch quality stout...Does it deserve a $21 price tag? No...but I am glad that I gave it a try!

07-31-2013 05:23:52 | More by BA_Berto
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Got this one from Klevelandrocks, cheers Ken! Review from notes

Pours ebony with a pinky of mocha colored head. Nice oiliness to this, a bit of lacing & no head retention

S: Dark fruit & choclate, plus oakyness & raisins

T: Dark chocolate & fruit up front, along with charred grain & vanilla. Some herbal hops sneak in as this warms, along with more dark chcolate vanilla, figs, raisins & a touch of coffee. Finishes with a whisper of booze, lovely dark chcolate & a touch leaf hops

MF: Chewy & oily with trace amounts of carbonation

Drinks to easy, I like this better than the regular version BORIS, well done hopping frog!

09-22-2009 04:18:10 | More by russpowell
dcmchew

Romania

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Popped a silver cap (so i guess it's a more recent vintage), got a nice sniff of the barrel notes already. Poured pitch black, some fast bubbles create a half finger brown head that goes away fast. A thin (not very) sticky lace stays around for the rest of the time.
Big sweet milky chocolate in the smell, cappuccino, coffee liquor, toffee, vanilla. Bourbon barrel, with oak, dusty wood, (sweetish) dark malts and some faint dark fruit. Really makes you wanna throw this down your gullet.
First sip surprises with strong whiskey right from the start, some juicy (fermented) plums and cherries too. Booze settles and rich stout notes show their face. Dusty cocoa powder and roasted coffee beans follow, along with the oaky vanilla, hint of licorice and citrus peel, great barrel component. Dark chocolate roasted malts in the finish, oats, hop presence and warm alcohol, just like after taking a sip of nice whiskey.
Low carbonation, velvety smooth, almost oily. Perfect sipper, you can really take your time with this one. As it warms the chocolate maltiness gets "thicker", but never manages to cover up the bourbon. The aftertaste presents all that the beer had great, with residual warm alcohol, cocoa and fruity hops.
Great barrel conditioning, rich robust stout, beautiful beer. Bodacious indeed.

04-19-2014 08:53:54 | More by dcmchew
reebtaerG

Maryland

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from bottle to snifter
A-pours to a jet black and a tan head
S-big bourbon aroma with chocolate, sweet malt, caramel and coffee
T-the same as the smell, sweet roasted and the bourbon
M-mouthfeel is sticky and smooth
O-this is great oatmeal imperial stout especially with the bourbon had to pair with a cheesecake

11-30-2013 00:12:54 | More by reebtaerG
beerhan

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter with a very thin dark cocoa head. Smells like vanilla, fig, chocolate and lots of whiskey. Tastes very smooth and crisp with similar notes as to the smell. Alcohol is only present from the whiskey taste. I could easily take out a bottle in less than a half hour it is that good. Compared to other bourbon stouts such as bourbon county this one is at the top. Hats off to hoppin frog on this masterpiece.

11-28-2010 06:57:30 | More by beerhan
toppoop

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Pours out very dark and forms a great head which disappeared after a bit. Not too much lacing to speak of.
S - Smells perfect for a BA. Nice vanilla and bourbon on the nose.
T - After just a short time aging, the alcohol has evened out a bit but is still there on the finish.
M - Coats the mouth great, almost leaving a film for a bit. Very thick, very good.
O - Outstanding BA!

04-13-2014 23:02:57 | More by toppoop
adamette

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

The 99th review of this great beer is a live review. [99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer....] Poured from the 1 pint, 6 fl. oz bottle that I bought at Rozi's in Lakewood, Ohio about a month ago. I absolutely loved the standard B.O.R.I.S. and so I was excited to find this one. I do not recall the price. I do not recall looking at the price. Poured into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang labeled Westvleteren style goblet.

A Pours oil black with a rather brief but impressive medium brown head (this is not a standard light head here folks!) that dissipated too quickly into a ring around the top of the beer. I would have hoped for more head retention but this is a beautiful looking RIS. 4.5

S Oh yeah, the dark roast malt, whiskey notes and even a great chocolate smell waft up from the surface of the beer, inspiring the beholder to comprehend all of the wonderfulness within. Exceptional smell. 5.0

T The taste is exactly what the smell suggests and oh my! What a taste it is! First I am washed over with dark roast malt goodness, then there is a wave of alcohol mixed with whiskey tones then the whole thing washes away with a great return of the dark roast malt, chocolate ripples and smooth as silk bigness. A true adventure of taste that should be experienced by anyone reading this. 5.0

M As mentioned, this is a huge beer with waves of tastes and sensations but it is at the same time smooth as silk and the feel is punctuated by a kick of warmth (the whiskey?) in the early taste. I think that I like the feel of regular B.O.R.I.S. better for that reason (for the feel I would prefer to skip the sharp jab of alcohol that I attribute to the whiskey barrels). 4.0

D Despite all of these huge tastes it is quite drinkable, almost begging to be sipped over and over. That quality tends to be rare for the style although I can think of a few that achieve that quality. It emulates the sublime Big Black Voodoo Daddy in drinkability and that is really a compliment. 4.5

11-14-2009 03:38:09 | More by adamette