Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 587 | Hads: 2,262
4.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Popped a silver cap (so i guess it's a more recent vintage), got a nice sniff of the barrel notes already. Poured pitch black, some fast bubbles create a half finger brown head that goes away fast. A thin (not very) sticky lace stays around for the rest of the time.
Big sweet milky chocolate in the smell, cappuccino, coffee liquor, toffee, vanilla. Bourbon barrel, with oak, dusty wood, (sweetish) dark malts and some faint dark fruit. Really makes you wanna throw this down your gullet.
First sip surprises with strong whiskey right from the start, some juicy (fermented) plums and cherries too. Booze settles and rich stout notes show their face. Dusty cocoa powder and roasted coffee beans follow, along with the oaky vanilla, hint of licorice and citrus peel, great barrel component. Dark chocolate roasted malts in the finish, oats, hop presence and warm alcohol, just like after taking a sip of nice whiskey.
Low carbonation, velvety smooth, almost oily. Perfect sipper, you can really take your time with this one. As it warms the chocolate maltiness gets "thicker", but never manages to cover up the bourbon. The aftertaste presents all that the beer had great, with residual warm alcohol, cocoa and fruity hops.
Great barrel conditioning, rich robust stout, beautiful beer. Bodacious indeed.

4.73/5  rDev +11%

Picked up a bottle at Appalachian Vintner on a trip to Asheville, NC since no distribution in NY/CT border area

Poured into a Brekenridge Vanilla Porter Snifter.

A - Pitch black, no light, half inch dark brown head, thin

S - Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, semi-sweet

T - Chocolate/vanilla first, strong bourbon in the middle and hint of alcohol in the end but nothing that distracts from the overall exquisite taste

M - Silky smooth but slightly thin. Still feels great

O - A perfect BA Stout. Not too boozy at <10%, not overly sweet like a Marshall Zhukov and the perfect amount of bourbon notes.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Review # 1600 - I picked this up for my birthday tasting a month ago or so at Al's of Hampden. Poured chilled into my goblet.

A deep black look, opaque and has a thin ring of beads for a cap, the head revives when swirled. There is no lace. The smell exemplifies all that I like about Boris plus a huge bourbon nose with lots of dark coffee and mild vanilla from the wood. There are hints of burnt caramel and coffee with a dark cocoa tannic element also. The rich body and creamy malt with concentrated sugar is balanced by the alcohol from the barrel and mild astringent grain accent. The mild carbonation is good with a slick sweet finish and full feeling, rich awesome texture.

This has a smoothness very few rival and the bourbon is full on/not shy at all, the cocoa from the roasted malt and mild coffee bitterness of the dark grain is very pleasing to my senses. There is a light vanilla quality with the sweetness of the bourbon and caramel that comes in and spreads across the palate. Each sip seems better than the last with mild hops adding dimension and the bitter coffee tinge seeming to blend effortlessly with the bourbon and cocoa flavors -a great taste indeed. I love this thanks to phnphilly for bringing me another bottle to enjoy this is a great Imperial Oatmeal stout and the barrel aging has improved it more than I thought possible.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - Pitch black with some red showing in the light, brown small head that disipates fast and leaves lacing.

Smell - Fruity with some berries, roasted malts, cacao, sticky warming bourbon.

Taste - Fruits and berries and then a wonderfull taste of chocolate, vanilla, coffee and a lingering cacao taste. Like a wonderfull dessert! A lot of characteristics in this beer.

Mouthfeel - Full body, creamy with low carbonation.

Oh. Em. Gee.

In a line-up of phenomenal beers graciously supplied by JDV at his birthday tasting in Austin, which included the likes of Kate the Great, Brooklyn Black OPS, East End Toaster, Full Sail Black Gold, and Pisgah Valdez, Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. took the cake. Deniz may have cried, I'm not sure...

Sits a thick, seal-brown body in the tasting glass, letting in a little light at the edges to take on a mahogany hue. A fat custard head floats aimlessly atop, unaware of the deliciousness lurking beneath. Excellent nose on this RIS, as the oak-aging adds an intoxicating vanilla profile that complements well the espresso coffee and dark chocolate.

Too many flavorical (I just made that up) nuances to count. Chocolate, bourbon, immensely fruity tastes of blackberry and raisin...spiced wood, charcoal...the list goes on. This could have easily been a cluster-fuck of flavors, but everything is so well balanced in this beer that they all achieve a zen-like harmony across every part of the palate. Mouthfeel is no slouch, either. A hint of heat from the booze compliments a perfect carbonation level and a medium-thick body. I can feel my stomach warming with every sip. Bravo to Hoppin' Frog---I repeat: BRAVO! I thought regular old B.O.R.I.S. was amazing (and, rightfully so, it still is) but the Barrel-Aged version takes it to a whole 'nother level.

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Received this brew from both eyebrews and iceicebaby in trades at Dark Lord Day. I had the regular brew again last night and finally reviewed it. Wanted a fresh idea of how it tasted so I can compare it to the Barrel Aged version. Drank from my Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours an extremely dark black with dark brown around the edges and a small half finger dark brown head. The head slowly recedes leaving a spotty cap and decent collar that leaves no lacing.
Smell- Much better nose than the original. A big burst of milk chocolate and vanilla ice cream almost seem to jump out of the glass from first whiff. Some black licorice, caramel and a bit of molasses adds a tiny bit of sweetness which is a switch from the original. The hops really dominate the nose in the non Barrel Aged version. Not much in the way of oak but it really does a nice job of toning down the citrus.
Taste- Starts lightly sweet with a big rush of caramel and dark chocolate. A bit of vanilla that's slightly woody and ever so slightly astringent. The hops and roast seem a bit toned down from the original but they are still present. A dark coffee like acidity from the char is present as it a bit of something resembling cherries. Finishes with a light bit of some bitter lemon peel and tons of brownie batter.
Mouthfeel- Much better than the original. MUCH!! It's big and creamy and has that great oat smoothness. The carbonation is light and the alcohol is fairly well covered.
Drinkability- This is a prime example of how a bit of Barrel Aging can really take a beer to the next level. Regular B.O.R.I.S. is an amazing brew; Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. is doubly amazing brew. The mouthfeel is better and it really adds quite a bit more nose rather than some roast and hops. Thanks much Sean and Jack!!

4.71/5  rDev +10.6%

Split a 22oz bomber with friends on Saturday before heading to a hockey game. Minor league hockey is as boring as it sounds, but it helps to have some good beer in ya!

The bottom line: This BA B.O.R.I.S. takes one of the best beers on the planet to another level. Not a beer for bourbon lovers per say (this has 1/100th of the kick of something like GI BCBS), but regular B.O.R.I.S. kissed by a nice Heaven Hill bourbon kick. The best part of this beer is that all who sampled it at our gathering, with their varying levels of beer geekdom and preference for RIS or bourbon, absolutely loved this.

A: Dark black. What little head was dark brown and dissipated rapidly. I didn't break out a ruler or protractor to measure.

S: This is the only area that was slightly underwhelming. Not a ton of strong flavors going on, but I can pick out coca, a slight amount of bourbon, and some roast and sweetness. Maybe I'm used to these BA beers screaming at my nostrils with bourbon sting or coffee, but this has mostly the normal B.O.R.I.S. aromas but a little kick of bourbon too just to let you know its special.

T: OH MY! So nice. Like regular B.O.R.I.S. but with a kiss of bourbon and some oak/vanilla from the wood. This takes it to another level without being overwhelming. Fantastic - probably the only better BA RIS I've had is the Great Lakes BA Blackout, but that's like an extreme where something from another planet holds everything together. Most try and epically fail because they become booze with beer ingredients in it. This, on the other hand, is well balanced and nothing overwhelms. Perfect on the palate.

M: Great. Creamy and not too thick or carbonated. Everything I want from an RIS.

D: The single most drinkable BA RIS I've ever had. I could drink this until I fall down. This took B.O.R.I.S. and enhanced it without changing the game entirely.

All you fans of BA beers, seek and try! All you fans of bourbon - don't they have another website for you? Something like bourbonadvocate.com? ;p

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Six of us attending a beer tasting that I hosted in my man cave pub gave this beer a score of 27 out of a possible 30 for and an average score of 4.5 It ranked 2nd out of the 12 beers we tasted. The group of six were divided evenly, 3 that favored IPA's and 3 that favored Stouts. BORIS & DORIS Hoppin' Frog stouts are very hard to come by in the Northeast. So if you are lucky enough to see it, grab it.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Acquired in a trade and poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Thick and viscous black liquid that supported a dark mocha colored head. Lacing and head didn't seem to last very long.

S: Definitely picked up the whiskey, very similar to Jack Daniels, along with dark fruit and subtle chocolate.

T: I was a little suspicious about how this beer was going to turn out after sticking my nose in my glass for a few minutes, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well all the flavors gelled together. I picked up this sweet chocolate up front that was backed up by very minute, but noticeable notes of caramel, whiskey, dark fruit, and vanilla. There may possibly be some anise in this brew as well.

M: Creamy, oily, full-body...basically awesome!

D: Even though I was able to pick up some of the alcohol hotness...I found this beer incredibly easy to drink. The immense and complex flavor profile probably had a lot to do with it.

Overall: One of the most flavorful and complex Imperial Stouts out there! I was really impressed on how well all the flavors came together in the end. A must try beer and something I'll be tracking down again. Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- std dark stout color with dark copper head

S- very bourbony and classic stout flavors abound

T- amazing taste! Reminds me very much of CBS from Founders. A complex stout with a very strong bourbon permeation. Just delicious. Very smooth. Boozey bourbon flavor, and you can taste the alcohol at a medium-high amount

M- great mouthfeel. Not too thick or thin, lower amount of carbonation which I appreciate

O- just a fantastic Imperial Stout. The bourbon barrel aging makes this beer amazing and so far is a TOP beer for me. The boozy taste really comes through but isn't ridiculous. And for the price, it's a real winner. Get one if you see it!

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Since it is Christmas Eve, I will pull something out of the cellar to enjoy while I wait for the bearded fat man to show up.This beer has the green cap and has been in my cellar for a while. Poured into a pint glass at 50 degree.

Appearance: A one finger head that is dark brown and is foamy, creamy, and soft. The head has fair retention and so far has not left any lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is dark brown, like burnt motor oil. The clarity is opaque, frankly look like the black hole. This beer looks great a typical RIS.

Nose: A very rich, dark, deep, complex roast on the malt with caramel, burnt, chocolate, toasty and biscuit notes. The barrel age on the beer gives a solvent like aroma with vanilla, oak, phenols, and a sweetness. Other aromas include floral, citrus, raisins, coffee, yeast, and anise.

Taste: The flavors in the beer start with the deep complex roast on the malt with caramel, burnt, chocolate, toasty, and biscuit notes. Other flavors include floral, citrus, vanilla, pine, phenols, solvents, espresso, raisins and yeast. Subtle hints of anise, molasses, and oatmeal.

The mouth feel of the beer is astringent, coating, warming, and chewy.

Overall: The body of the beer is thick and rich, and the finish is full. This is the reason why I love Russian Imperial Stouts the flavors are complex, rich, and very flavorful. This beer near perfect in flavor. I really cannot find much wrong with the beer, the only thing that I would have like to seen was a further refinement in the flavor. I am being picky and should have left it in the cellar; nonetheless, it is a very good beer and should not be over looked.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

Rich deep nearly pitch black brown hued color with moderate lace retention. Head is hickory brown and although initially boisterous, short lived. Lots of burnt sugar, vanilla, moderate amounts of bourbon notes, roasted oatmeal, mostly sweet smells, but there's nice sourness coming from the roast. Flavor brings in some predictable bitter dark chocolate notes which pair surprisingly well with the whiskey. Lots of sugary sweetness too. Alcohol is in the forefront, but finishes with little emphasis. Otherwise, the aroma accurately foretells the taste.

Body is thick, thicker than any other beer Ive had. More than chewy, filling and velvety smooth on the tongue. Its really a wonderful stout.

4.7/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Black with nice tan head. So black you can't through it holding it up to the light!

S- Sweet with dark chocolate notes as well as smokey whiskey barrel scents.

T- Amazing! This beer has a great amount of flavor such as dark chocolate, coffee and a lot of whiskey which gives it a nice sweet taste! Leaves a nice warm feeling in your chest.

M- F'n PHENOMENAL !! ... Easily one of the smoothest imperial stouts we have had yet.

D- This was the lowest score we gave the beer but that does not mean that it is bad. Due to the thickness and sweetness of the beer, this is something we would enjoy a few glasses of at a small get together but not something we'd pound at a party for 4 hours...

Tom and Analise

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I believe this is a bottle from 2009.

Oily thick. Tan head.

Huge nose of stone fruits. Rye whiskey comes off on the nose.

Silky smooth. Huge mouthfeel. The whiskey and oak comes off beautifully. Great bitterness feel. I'm not sure I have had a bigger Russian imperial stout.

4.69/5  rDev +10.1%

Absolutely pitch black. Pour was just like Marshal Zhukov, thick and viscous. Minimal carbonation produces a tiny ring for a head. Whats there is caramel colored.

Smell is full of wood and bourbon. Licorice, plums, and a slight sweetness are mixed in somewhere.

My lord its full bodied and boozy. Kind of reminds me of BA Siberian Night (I mean they are made in the same town and everything). Lots of roasted malts. Slight hints of vanilla are present as well. The syrupy, oak-laden liquid (if you have to call it that), coats your tongue all the way through to you stomach. It leaves that roasty malt and oak feeling. It has the oak presence of Fullsteam Igor, but the body of Marshal Zhukov.

What I really like about it is that the booze is really accented by loads of chocolate. Dark chocolate leaves a nice bitter feeling, while milk chocolate imparts a creamy smoothness. Who would have thought that chocolate, bourbon, and oak go well together?

22oz bomber poured into my snifter

Pours an opaque color with no light getting through this beer. The head is a mere half inch with poor head retention only lasting a couple seconds. Very little ring on the edges of the beer is left behind though. No lacing at all occurred while drinking the beer.

Aroma consisted of a nice sweet smell. I get hints of coffee, chocolate, good notes of bourbon, oak, molasses, vanilla, black-strap leather, and tobacco. Pretty impressed I would say.

Good amount of bakers chocolate upfront with some espresso, leading way into a mildly sweet vanilla taste, then comes in the bourbon which is not overpowering but lets you know its Bourbon Aged(which is something I like when the Bourbon does not overpower the whole beer).Good amounts of roasted malts with hints of oak, and some tobacco. Very little alcohol heat leads to a barely noticeable burn in the back, which I like. Overall I was very pleased with this beer, very complex and flavorful.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and velvet like smooth which coats the whole palate. Nice milkshake like taste stays in the aftertaste.

Overall I was very pleased with this beer, and I would definitely buy it again.

4.68/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque jet black, looks like old motor oil. Thin tan head falls quickly and leaves very little lacing.

Smells of bourbon, vanilla, dark fruit

Tastes of bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, not overly boozy

Full body am slight carbonation makes this easy drinking

Overall, one of the best barrel aged Imperial stouts I've had....will try to get another bottle of this tomorrow!

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

A: jet black, viscosity of oil, no head at all. Intriguing.
S: butter, vanilla, booze, some oak. Ironically, the roasted malt and coffee notes are kind of muted by the bourbon overtones.
T: very close to the nose. Sweet notes of vanilla up front accompanied by a boozy taste. The roasted malts step up here and do well to balance the sweetness. At the back, some hoppy bitterness comes into play. Nice.
M: Low to medium carbonation. Slick, but chewy. A nicely balanced aftertaste of booze, hops and coffee.
O: An outstanding brew. Maybe just a bit over the top with the bourbon, but a great imperial stout and an interesting take on the style. Expenisve, but worth a try for sure.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage according to store label. White cap of that even means anything.

A: A viscous dark brown that matches the color of the brown glass from which it pours. Opaque. Dark brown head that disappears. No lacing. Engine oil. No visible carbonation.

S: Waves of smooth bourbon escape from the bottle and glass. Intense roasted malt and sweet notes of fresh vanilla bean and milk chocolate.

T: Bourbon, oatmeal, figs and coke. The finish is moderately dry with a hint of bitter coffee and cocoa.

M: Full bodied. Velvet. Real slick and smooth. The booze tingles and lingers for a bit. Mildly carbonated.

O: Big flavors. Smooth throughout and really opens as it warms. Never too boozy and never too sweet. A slight bitterness in the finish that keeps it even keeled

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

a- pours jet black with a little tan ring of a head. not much carbonation, laces wonderfully throughout the glass.

s- killer. smells like you are taking a whiff of some new jet black jack daniels creation. bourbon, bourbon, bourbon!! deep scents of cocoa and licorice too!!

t&m- real smooth for something that smells like its 80 proof. blended perfectly, the hints of licorice, caramel and chocolate compliment the strong bourbon boozey taste oh so perfectly. it does burn a little going down because of the boozey whiskey/bourbon barrels that it is so evident that it was aged in BUT a rich, creamy cocoa taste is present. tastes like if you poured a shot or two of jack daniels single barrel in your favorite hot cocoa (with marshmallows of course).

d- i split this bottle with a friend and he did somewhat enjoy it but couldnt handle the whisky/bourbon taste. it made me realize the only downfall of this beer. although it is only 9.4% it is really strong and boozey and the bomber itself is most likely a challenge to finish. if you are not into any types of whiskeys, then you are most likely not going to be a big fan of this one.

Green Cap
Poured into a 6oz tasting Glass.

A: Black strap molasses, opaque. No head. Tinges of luminescense around the edges of the glass.

N: Wow! Lots going on here. First aroma I get is coconut, interesting! Then all the Bourbony characteristics start to flow out, vanilla followed by toffee and creme brulee. I could have smelled this beer all night long.

T: Exactly as it should be, Taste mimics the nose, with one minor exception, I got more of the Bourbon character in the taste, but in no way does it overpower the other flavors. Alcohol is present, but well hidden. As the beer warms, the Bourbon becomes more prominent, but again does not take away from all the other flavor subtleties. The taste is truly amazing!!

M: Medium/full to full bodied. Mild carbonation with an amazing long finish.

O: This beer blew me away! The nose alone was worth the price of admission. Add in the layers upon layers of flavors and the super finish, and you have a truly World Class Beer!!!

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured a thick, dense black color with motor-oil consistency from a 22 oz bomber, with ABV on the label. No sign of bottling date.
Absolutely no light penetration whatsoever.

Thin dark tan/mocha colored head that dissipates fairly quickly.

Aroma is just fantastic, lots of bourbon notes intermingling with cocoa, chocolate, coffee, charred wood, vanilla and some alcohol.

Wow, this is just so smooth and silky on the palate. Lots of bourbon character on the surface of the coating, with the thick, dense syrupy stout making for a nice base. If I were to relate the feeling, it would be looking at a tar road and seeing the vapors rising. The black dark stout on the surface of the tongue with warm bourbon vapors. Even though the aroma is all bourbon, the stout holds it's own in the taste. Wood characters are evident upfront, with nice subtle dark chocolate/coffee bitterness towards the finish. There is a hint of oatmeal sweetness in the middle, which disappears quickly.

Very good mouthfeel and drinkability. Just an all round solid barrel aged stout. This is an absolute must for those who enjoy barrel aged stouts. Highly recommended.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

A- Pours black with nice 2" tan head. Had to pour very vigorously to get foamage, but it was there.
S- So complex, its somewhat hard to pick out all the scents. I get coffee, chocolate malts, booze, vanilla, and a smokey oakey flavor. Smells very sweet, but slightly boozey. Really a great smelling beer.
T- Again, this beer is very complex, but the taste is truly remarkable. At first sip, bourbon, chocolate, and coffee creaminess hit the palate. Has a nice smokey flavor, possible from the oak. Finishes sweet and creamy with a nice coffee-bourbon aftertaste. Really, really dank.
M- was creamy and viscous with the carbonation really being perfectly adequate.
D- Would be a shame if you didn't sip this to savor all the awesomeness in every drop. That being said, I could like drink 3-4 of these in one sitting if they weren't so expensive and unavailable in my area.
Overall, A truly excellent beer. I will throw this on my mental top 10 list.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

I want to thank BigEarl for this bottle. Dan provided this to me as he made his way back to Chicago to work at FFF. Dan we miss you here in Boston.

Poured this into my favorite snifter. A finger of dark tan head forms. Not very aggressive and shy of creamy. The beer is quite shiny and the deepest brown. (not black)
The head does fade in ½ rather quickly then sits as a thin cap. Some slight lacing remains.

Tons of vanilla in the aroma. Slightly woody and of slight chocolate.

Flavor is just fantastic. Layers of vanilla and dark roasted malt. Some dark fruits and I almost swear I taste cherry or to be more specific, chocolate covered cherry. Lots of bourbon which again takes me back to the vanilla. Such a wonderful smooth finish. You really get a touch of wood as it fades.

Creamy, full bodied and silky smooth.

Just wonderful. I am happy that I have another bottle of this. Fantastic.

4.67/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Pours a dark black color with hardly any head at all. A tan, caramel color froth was thin and only covered 1/4 of the glass. A very thin ring of lacing remains.

S - Bodacious bourbon and booze scents with notes of fig & raisin. Very pleasant.

T - Wow. Incredible taste. Bourbon and booze for sure but the booze was not overpowering. Some dark chocolate, figs, and a creamy coffee taste as well. Just a great mixture of flavors here.

M - Smooth with mild/medium carbonation. Coats the tongue and mouth well but doesn't stick. Just leaves a tease of flavors after consumption.

O - An awesome stout. Highly recommend this frog brew.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery