Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 582 | Hads: 2,247

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Note: 2010 bottle

Appearance: Black, with a very small, tan head - still and oily looking - very minimal lacing, hard to even drum up lacing

Smell: Dark, burnt malts and lots of bourbon - dark chocolate, roasty, burnt coffee, with some wood and vanilla - dry and roasty but also sweet

Taste: Nice for a bourbon barrel-aged stout - burnt and roasty - chocolate malts, baker's chocolate, milk chocolate - lightly sweet, works well - lots of bourbon and wood without being gross - some molasses and some char

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, oily and slick, needs some carbonation (but I can forgive this since it's an older bottle)

Overall: A nice use of bourbon

Recently I've criticized some barrel-aged stouts for being utterly dominated by bourbon. Fortunately, this isn't one of them. There is some balance here. It's not astounding, but it's good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Too heady/boozy for my taste.

Pours a nice dark beer. Some foam forms on the head. Smells like brandy, coffee, caramel and roasted malts. Taste is too boozy for me. The nice roasted malts are interrupted by the headiness of the beer. It should be smooth, not savage. I had left mine sit for a while, but the alcohol was still there. Good to see how it would be in a year or two. Body is syrupy.

The beer is black and has a small brown head. Nearly no lacing but curtains.

The smell is sweet fruits and almonds.

The taste is full of dried fruits, dates and figs, vanilla and almonds, a bit alcohol. Not much bitterness.

Medium low carbonation, a complex oily body.

Interesting how much the barrel aging actually has changed the taste and feel. Sampled at beer tasting at De Klomp, Linköping, Sweden.

This beer was all the hype a couple months ago. With another release in the close future, I decided to crack open my last bottle. Lets see if it lives up to the hype:

A: Just like the regular BORIS. Pitch black and thick. Head is very dark brown, but dissipates rather quickly. Lacing is very minimal.

S: Again, very similar to regular BORIS. Lots of oatmeal. Semi-sweet with hints of coffee and chocolate. The oak aged smell is present, but not overpowering.

T: It actually tastes a lot different than the regular BORIS. The oatmeal is very present, but the coffee and chocolate notes seem much more subdued. They are still present, but overpowered by the oaky notes. Very strong wood character with hints of whiskey. Alcohol seems much more pronounced. I think I prefer the original. This one is much more oaky and has less of the signiture Stout flavors. Actually reminds me a lot of Weyerbacher Heresy.

M: Super creamy and thick. Alcohol does rear its head in there though. Overall, very good.

D: This beer is a sipper. Very thick and rich in flavor. One bomber is more than enough for the night. I don't know why, but BORIS always puts me out. Its 9.4%, which is pretty moderate for an Imperial Stout...

Overall, this beer is very good, but not worthy of the hype. The comparison to Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is way off. This is more in the league of Weyerbacher Heresy, but this has a much thicker body. I have had better Stouts, and I have had better from Hoppin Frog, but this is still worth seeking out and buying.

Bought this about a month ago and was surprised to see the 17.99 price tag on my receipt. I hope this lives up to the price.

A- Pours very dark with a tiny bit of transparency. large brown, 1+ finger head with medium retention that turns foamy. no lacing left after head dies down.

S- Nice booze scent off the bat. lighter malt scent in there but the whiskey is prevalent. nice.

T- toffee and whiskey off the bat. odd combo but it works very well. Theres some chocolate and roasty malt that compliments the whiskey and sweetness but definately takes a back seat. Dark fruits are hidden among the major parts. nice alcohol warmth on the finish

M- medium mouthfeel and carbonation on this one with a nice warmth from the whiskey barrels.

O- Very good beer. I wouldnt buy it again for 18 dollars but if i come across it again i would NOT complain

Appearance: black as night body with a very thin bronzy-copper colored head that fizzes away in a heart beat and leaves a tan rim around the edge of the glass; no lacing; syrupy legs drip on the glass with each sip.

Aroma: dark roasted notes, lactic, toasted oak spice, a little vanilla coming from the oak barrel, dark roasted coffee, nice dose of chocolate, as the ale warms up a light bourbon note comes to life,

Flavors: just like the nose; rich dark roasted coffee, lactic acid feel, hint of sweet bourbon - oak spice with a touch of roasted vanilla and caramel, 85% dark chocolate like bitterness, a little bourbon like note and a dark chocolate bite on the aftertaste, not boozy

Mouthfeel: no carbonation, just a faint fizzy feel, thick, almost syrupy, kind of creamy, oak and alcohol spice on the tongue, the whisky note is mild, does not have an overwhelming alcohol feel, full body

To the Point: a really good barrel aged stout; this is a sipper; the last two or three barrel aged stouts that I have tried just did not appeal to me; this one is top shelf stuff; to me the bourbon note was just right – there was just a hint of it, the bourbon did not overpower the stout style. Time to get a bottle of bourbon off my bar and have a few sips as I finish this tasty stout.

Sampled February 2010
A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces an almost four-finger thick, richly browned head. The beer is very dark, almost perfectly black color that is quite opaque when held up to the light. The head manages to leave some spotty lacing on the sides of the glass as the head subsides. The aroma smells of vanillin and sweetened toasted coconut up front. This leads into a richly toasted malt character that leans towards barley husk notes, sweetened dark cocoa, and a cream laden, sweetened, French roast coffee drink. Interestingly enough this beer is not nearly as complex as I expected from a Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Stout; I do like that this is very smooth and well integrated as the Bourbon character has not run rough-shod and hot over the aromatic profile.

The beer tastes quite sweet up front and finishes with a touch of Bourbon spice, acrid burnt malt, and a spicy carbonic bite that is a bit unexpected given that this isn't highly carbonated. Flavors of vanillin interweave with rich toasted coconut notes and the dark, chocolate like malt character to make this seem quite a bit like a rich desert. The body is rich and viscous as it lingers fatly on the palate without being cloying. As the beer warms up it loses some of the sweetness that was almost too much initially. This helps to bring out a rich, savory malt character that brings out a sort of salty, sort of smoky, definitely umami character.

A quite enjoyable beer whose biggest flaw is that it is perhaps a bit simplistic. This definitely needs to be drunk on the warm side of cool where the savory quality becomes noticed and helps to boost the complexity. The most pleasant part of this beer is that it doesn't get overwhelmed by the Bourbon Barrel aging, which is a huge relief to me.

So I was really craving a barrel aged imperial stout last night and this was on the shelf. Kind of pricey at $20 but I guess that is close to the going rate these days for this type of beer. Appearance was standard, super black, short head. Aroma was a bit of chocolate, a bit of whiskey and a bit of barrel, not bad at all. Flavor was pretty good imperial stout with nice touched of the whiskey barrel. My friend said it tasted like espresso. This was probably the best Hoppin Frog beer I've had so far and it did hit the spot for what I was craving.

this didn't amaze me the way others said it would, but I really liked it. I don't know how much time this spends in barrels, but it seems lighter in all the woody charcoal bourbon properties than so barrel aged stouts. the oatmeal is nice in this, gives it a richness of feel and a smooth texture, as well as a moderate sweetness that all really work well. as for the stout itself, its big and roasty, very minimal bitterness, milk chocolate notes, and a massive body. smoothed out and soft on the palate, even nicer as it warms. limited alcohol coming through, maybe the barrel helps that too. its a well refined product, not skewed one way or the other. hoppin frog has a number of delicious stouts, and while this one stands out to me a little less than some reviews suggest it should, its still superbly well done, and one that is probably still worth the roughly 18 dollar price tag.

22oz bottle. Not sure on the age, but this has a green cap. Poured into a Boulevard tulip.

A: Pours PITCH black. Thin quarter finger of dark tan head. Dissapates fairly quickly. Wow, laces the glass thickly. Lots of proteins from the oats. Definitely some alcohol feet.

S: Smells really nice. I get lots of milk and dark chocolate on this guy. I don't get over powering barrel notes, but there is some vanilla for sure.

T: Dark chocolate bitterness up front. Not as creamy as I was expecting with oatmeal. I get some toffee notes. Some caramel. A touch of roast coffee, but not a lot. Nice dry finish.

M: Full bodied stout. Nice carbonation.

3.99/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours opaque black with very very very little head--what head there is consists of tan wisps on the surface of the beer. I'd like to see SOME foam on the beer, it doesn't need a bunch, just a little. Smell is decent, dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla, a bit of oak in there too. Taste follows suit, some creamy vanilla and oak from the aging, but follows through with a robust and lingering roasted malt, chocolate, and espresso profile. Quite delicious, especially after I let it warm a bit. The aging doesn't really add all that much to this beer, in my opinion. In fact, the underlying stout is the best part. I haven't had regular BORIS, but I bet it's a better value. Thick and smooth on the feel, big stout territory for sure. Very low carbonation, for some reason now I'm thinking the feel is similar to GI BCBS, though it's been a couple of months since I've had one. Good drinkability, a sipper for sure. Nice beer, but I probably won't get it again at $14 a pop.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a Bruery snifter, thanks to my fiance Pam for the tasy gift! I've had this several times, but never to review. Drank from chilled to room temp.

A- Pours a dark black, and a thin dark brown head which quickly dies to a tiny ring around the edge of the glass. No light gets through the beer once it's in the glass. Pours decent but not super thick. Some lacing, pretty but not earth shattering.

S- I can smell the whiskey from two feet away. The typical oak and vanilla sweet bourbon are faded, this smells like more straight whiskey. as it warms, some muted bourbon tones do come out (mmmm, much better). There is some great smelling coffee behind the whiskey. Some sweetness comes out, some brown sugar and some really good malts. the initial whiskey isn't great (to me), but the undertones are!

T- Big whiskey profile flavor, but a little more muted than the smell might suggest. Good dark coffee comes second, really tasty. The beer is sweet, but not cloying. the brown sugar and roast malts come through, but after the smooth whiskey spiked-and-oaked coffee fades. Flavors stay in the corner of my mouth for a while.

M- Little Carbonation, but it does have a little tingle on the tip of my tongue. Not thick enough for my taste, but not really thin either. solid stout, but i wish it were a bigger feel. There is a building warmness from alcohol, but less than you would think from the booze smell.

O- Great flavor (actually much better than i remember). the smell is slightly overbearing, but improves a lot as it warms. I really do like it, i just wish this beer was a little "bigger". I would love it thicker, more malt and oats, and maybe even a little more alcohol (c'mon OH, change the law!)

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured into a 20 Duvel tulip.Pours a thick, completely opaque black, with a two inch mocha head, that settles into a thin layer of bubbles, with a little lacing. Smell is dominated by Bourbon, some chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. Taste is all of those, bourbon the most with dark chocolate and roasted coffee in the back. Body is full, not a ton of carbonation, a little dry, and a sipper for sure. This is a great beer, but I was more impressed with regular Boris and blown away by Doris, too one dimensional.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

A friend of mine barely managed to find a bottle of this in Columbus. Decanted into pint glasses. Very dark. Little to no head. Looks thicker than it actually is. You can smell the barrel - definite whiskey or bourbon. Aromas and tastes of coffee and chocolate. Very smooth. Small bite of alcohol. Overall, quite good. Not sure if I prefer this over the regular BORIS, but still good!

3.96/5  rDev -7%

I've received a couple of these bottles. I forget who gave me the first one, but this one was from Hayesez. Thanks, Erik!

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass

A - Pitch black with just the faintest of red hues on the edge as I hold my glass to the light. About a half finger width of mocha colored head. It leaves some nice lacing on my glass, though the head doesn't last very long.

S - Chocolate, a touch of otameal, some whiskey, and something a little weird on the finish. I can't tell if it's like a light rubber (think new tires in a tire shop) or new car smell. It's faint, but it's there. I'd like more whiskey, barrel, and more stout characteristics to come through

T - Huh. Uhm, some oatmel stout characteristics. Roast, hints of oatmeal, dark chocolates. And then that weird thing I smelled is present in the taste. I can't place what it is, but it just kind of tastes...well, off. Aha! It's like a cheap vodka taste that comes through in a vodka cran. It's a harsh boozy taste. I like my beer with a bite, but not a cheap alcohol tasting bite. We'll see how this does as it warms up.

M - Creamy, heavy body, minimal carbonation. This is just about where it should be.

D - I'll finish the bomber no problem, though I remembered my first bottle being a lot better. This one is just harsh, not smooth. Maybe I need to try another to give it one last fair shot.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: dark burnt brown head forms on the pour. About a half a finger then dissipates to the edges of the glass. Pours pitch black with above average thickness.

Smell: Bright licorice sweet front to this brew. Malt and barley hit on the body of the beer. Sweet molasses adds to the brightness of this brew. Oatmeal hits on the body as well as the bourbon accents are light.

Taste: The sweetness theme continues here. A smooth front transitions into an bright oatmeal and dark chocolate. Nice hoppy accents in the body give it a unique twist. The barrel accents are light, I could use more of a presence. A roasted malt back end pleasantly bites and sticks on the palette long after drinking.

Mouthfeel: Clean, the body might be a little light for an RIS but nothing to get upset about.

Overall: I've liked all the Hoppin' Frog Stouts I've had so far. I expected a little more out of this one being the barrel aged version but it is still a very good beer.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

22oz bottle with a gold cap...whatever that means...

Poured into a Duck Rabbit snifter. A thin layer of dark mocha foam settled on top of a black, oil-thick body. The head vanished almost instantly, no lace.

The nose is much weaker than I anticipated...small amounts of roasted malts, coffee and whiskey.

Good...the taste is a far cry from the weak nose. Starts off with a roasted malt flavor that quickly gives way to the booziness of wood and whiskey. The finish is cherries, coffee and tons of boooze. The best part of the taste comes in the after taste once the alcohol burn fades...dark chocolate and rich coffee beans.

The mouth feel is thick and rich, tounge coatingly oily with moderate carbonation.

This is an extremely complex beer...rich in flavor and body...the booze keeps this down a little...seems much stronger than the advertised 9.4%. Another winner from Fred and the frog crew!

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Dark green cap, but I thought this was the most recent batch. Anyway, poured into Duvel tulip at about 50-60 degrees. Had this once before and loved it, so I had to review it.

A - Maybe one finger of large bubbles in a nice deep brown head. Body is black and needs less than 3mm to see through. Bubbles fall fast but a trace seems to stick around. Some ok lacing.

S - Fairly weak. Mostly on the dark fruit side I would say, so slightly sour. I would mostly say dark sour chocolate. Simple.

T - A little more sour than I remember. Dark chocolate and coffee. Some sweet caramel. Very nice.

M - Strong carbonation and solid body.

O - Not quite as good as I remember it being, but still solid overall. Nothing stands out, but nothing is bad about it.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A big thanks to sweemzander for this one.

Bomber poured into a Bruery tulip.

A- Pours pitch black with a quarter finger worth of head that leaves nothing for lacing but a small rim around the beer.

S- Big amounts of toasted malts, brown sugar and a little bit of black licorice. A little whiskey peeks its head out on the tail end.

T- Toasted malts with a big barrel flavor. Lots of oak and some whiskey. Some nice caramel notes and some black licorice. For being a bigger stout, the alcohol is barely even noticeable.

M- Full bodied with good carbonation for the style. Feels creamy at the back of the throat and just the smallest amount of bitterness.

D- Not as in your face as some BA beers. Just a touch of barrel character which I like and nice flavors. Nice and complex.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A: Pure black, almost no light passes through; little head/lacing, but then again that's probably to be expected with this style.

S: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, oak, bourbon, with just a bit of oatmeal.

T: Chocolate, coffee once again; less of the oak/bourbon but quite enjoyable nonetheless. Not picking up on the dark fruits others have mentioned.

M: Thick, creamy, oily; this is an extremely smooth example of a BA stout and it pulls almost everything you could want out of one off very well.

D: Alcohol is more noticeable than I would have liked considering it's not quite in the double digits; the smoothness is pleasant but can only carry the beer so far. One bottle of this is good for me (considering the $14 price tag, there are other non-BA stouts I could buy for less that I would enjoy more, and other BA stouts I would enjoy more at the same price). Still, worth a try- by no means a bad beer, but up against some top-notch competition.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Looks: syrupy. Thick and black, with a tiny mocha-colored head that becomes a ring within seconds and leaves sticky layers of lace.

Smells: interestingly, very little like a barrel-aged beer. Initially, I pick up almost no whiskey notes, though some do finally emerge when the beer closes in on room temperature. What I DO notice: earthy hops, black espresso, dark chocolate, a campfire smokiness and bacon.

Tastes: like straight whiskey. I had to double check that this was actually still a beer in my hand and hadn't been replaced with Jack Daniel's when I wasn't looking. The Flavor's made even odder by the fact that there's very little alcohol burn to accompany it. As it warms, the beer becomes more complex, with notes of peanuts, dark chocolate and toasted bread, but it's still heavily whiskey-forward.

Feels: very thick and creamy. Full-bodied and tongue-numbing, with a sublte carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable, but for how high it is it's well-blended.

Drinks: If all whiskeys were once beers, BA BORIS tastes like the missing link. You better like hooch if you want to try this one.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Got this beer from Half time beverage.

A: Poured from the bomber into tulip glass, the beer is a near black in color, but upon closer inspection is actually a a dark mahogany brown, cloudy/hazy, with a quarter inch of tan creamy brown head that quickly dissipates to just a ring of bubbles. Some smooth coating, but minimal lacing.

S: Potent initial scents of roasted malts and oak, followed by some peppery whisky aroma's, vanilla, chocolate, and mild espresso.

T: Tasty, and no surprises in the flavors, as it mirrors the nose. Layered flavors of chocolate malts, cappuccino with some cream. Heat comes through a bit more than I like, but still tolerable. As it warmed, the whisky and oak come through more as well.

M: Light carbonation, medium to thin viscosity.

O: Good. Smells & tastes stronger than it is, and is a bit pricey for what it is, but still tasty. I had two bottles, brought one to a tasting, and split this one with my wife.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

22oz bottle with o freshness info poured into an oversized snifter.

A- this one pours a jet black colored body with a small khaki colored head on it. the head lasts a while and leaves spotty lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- dark roasted malts. chocolate. coffee. vanilla/oak, and whiskey.

T- as in the smell, very dark and roasted. lots of coffee and chocolate. the barrel aging comes through pretty weak but you can definitely tell its there. vanilla from the oak, and just a touch of the whiskey.

M- full bodied and thick. palate coating. slight warming from the alcohol on its way down.

D- i dont think this one lived up to the hype, or the cost. a good beer, just not what i was lead to expect. probably wont be buying anymore of this one for 18$ a bottle, but id drink another if it was free or more reasonably priced.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Body is a nearly opaque dark brown (almost black hue). Light only shines through on the edges of my snifter with a slight reddish purple glow in the midnight body. Pours with a barely significant <1 finger dark brown head that emerges slowly after the pour and fades completely almost as quickly.

S- The prominent character upfront is the whiskey barrel. A hint of booze and a lot of oak. Behind this is a more typical imperial stout nose. Oatmeal, anise, rich, dark chocolate. The balance is much heavier on the side of the barrel.

T- The flavor is much like the nose-but is much more balanced. A cocoa presence is the highlight upfront with typical RIS like characteristics and is pretty sweet upfront. The finish is packed with a lot of alcohol heat and oak barrel flavor. Left to linger is some sweetness and a big alcohol heat.

M- Low carbonation and medium to heavy weight body that is slightly syrupy.

D- This is a very good BA stout overall. There is a good balance between the barrel and stout characteristics in the flavor as well. Not the best BA stout out there but this is a very good one!

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a very dark black. There is little carbonation, a small medium tan head rises for a second but is gone right away.

The aroma is pretty light. It starts off pretty sweet with a little chocolate and some vanilla. Its pretty one note.

The taste brings a little more complexity to the table, but not at on. It starts out midly sweet with some vanilla presenting itself the strongest. In the middle you get lots of wood and a slight alcohol finish. There is also a lot of whiskey from start to finish, its a nice touch.

The feel is ok, its a little too light for me. It has a slight warmness to it but not much of a finish.

Overall, this is a decent stout. The barrel aged is better than the regular BORIS, but its still nothing outstanding to track down.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery