Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 579 | Hads: 2,215
4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

A 650 mL bomber from the first batch. Thanks to Deuane for picking it up for me. Shared with janlud and ksak.

A: The stout is dark, a thick oily morass that absorbs every spectrum of visible light. Opaque? Nope, this one is a bird's eye view into the heart of darkness. Albeit a heart of darkness with a thin tan-colored head.

S: Cocoa powder, oak and vanilla drive the aroma, a soft nose that doesn't come across as overbearing. Dark malts emerge on closer inspection, smelling like a good stout.

T: The regular BORIS does its best to stand out up front, throwing out dark roasted malts, chocolate and coffee flavors. After the initial stout flavors, the bourbon and barrel gradually emerge. Oak and vanilla stand out, softening up the stout to a cocoa powder sweetness. A flourish of booziness peaks through near the end of each sip. The bourbon adds a bit of burn to each sip.

M: The mouthfeel doesn't skimp on either the stout or the barrel. The bourbon isn't as crisp as in some stouts but you can tell that it is there.

D: At nearly 10%, this is a sippin' stout. I've had both Batch 1 and 2 and I cast my vote for Batch 1. (1,133 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -8.7%

Received as an ultra-generous gift from msubulldog25, who had an extra bottle thanks to tapoutjoe. It is about 20 degrees outside, so the bottle was extremely cold when it arrived at my doorstep. No need to wait, I cracked this one within the first 10 minutes of opening the package. What a great surprise to make my night memorable!

Pours pitch black with a very late cascading brown head that settles down to a thin collar and some bubbles. The smell is deeply roasted malts, marshmallows, oak, vanilla and toffee barrel notes, and some coffee beans. Very inviting, although the oak seems like it may potentially be harsh on the tongue. I guess we will see...

...and it turns out that a bit of the wood harshness does carry over, although it is luckily in a manageable amount. TONS of coffee bean bitterness breaks through, far more than I remember there being in the regular B.O.R.I.S. although I think the oak is magnifying it. Dark fruits lie in the background and must be hunted for. Marshmallows and earthy hops round out the flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is definitely this beers weak point. It is medium bodied, but I would expect a near 10% barrel aged imperial stout to have the full bodied, creamy palate that I desire. The carbonation levels are low and pretty much perfect which saves this score from being lower.

Drinkability is only slightly above average. The massive bitterness dominates the flavor profile so much that the complexities underneath never fully develop. Thus, it becomes frustrating after about 8 oz. because there is just so much potential that is not being met. Still, this is very tasty for what it is and a very fine brew. I am being extra critical since the base beer is such a good one, and in this case the barrel aging didn't improve it.

Nonetheless, I am so happy to finally get my hands on this beer. Thank you again Brian for the opportunity. I would recommend that others make the purchase, especially if you like your stouts coffee and hop dominated. (1,997 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Bomber pours out black with about one finger of mocha colored foam. Some lacing is left behind while it dwindles down at moderate rates to a ring of fine bubbles. Scents of wine grapes, bourbon, oak, and tobacco fill my nose. Flavors of waxy and estery fruits are upfront along with a generous amount of wine grapes, toffee, and bourbon. The barrel aging has really ramped up the dark fruits in this brew to a shocking degree. The finish has tobacco, herbal notes, coconut, and a biscuit and cookie kick. I even get a little bit of pumpkin seed to it. Tasty stuff, though the barrel seems to have ramped up the fruity and herbal elements and hidden a lot of the earthy and roasty balance present in the original, leaving a winelike finish. Feels chewy, slick, and creamy. Recommended, but not quite as perfect as the original BORIS. (832 characters)

Big thanks to a very generous sproser for the bottles.

Pours death black with a tan head that retains for about a minute and then leaves ok lacing from there out.

Nose is alot of roasted malt, a wine-like character and some chocolate.

Taste follows with huge roasted malt, some chocolate and definite whiskey booze presence. The finish has that signature slick giant oatmeal flavor, and roasted malt lingers with whiskey on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is super viscous, although still less than i expected, but pretty much where it should be in a beer like this. Madly slick on the finish, carbonation is medium where it should be.

Drinkability is ok, but this one is pretty heavy, and i can't see having more than one bomber alone.

Overall, a very pleasant, and well made barrel aged stout. I would like it to be a little bit more robust, but when you want that oatmeal action this one suffices for both that and that classic barrel aged awesomeness. A very nice beer. Overpriced like mad, but still quite good. (1,016 characters)

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Aftr a hard pour, only a flash in the pan black foam lasts for about ten seconds. Pitch black, viscous liquid that leaves a light brown syrup on the inside of my glass. Chocolate, roasted oats, and creamy bourbon greet my nostrils. The taste is full of rich, roasted malts, molasses that sweetens the dark coffee and chocolate flavors. While the whiskey and wood adds depth and warmth. The palate is silky smooth and warm with just great balance and character. One primo nightcap, thats for sure. (496 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Served from a 22oz bottle into my Brooklyn snifter (11/19/09) courtesy of Wespatrick (thanks man!) as a very generous extra at cellar temperature.

A: Pours a very thick motor oil black with a slight mocha colored head that fades to just a skin leaving a little bit of lace.

S: A complex and rich aroma of coffee, roasted malt, oatmeal, chocolate, vanilla, and fudge surrounded by a layer of bourbon.

T: Extremely complex taste including; chocolate, roasted malt, fudge, bourbon, oatmeal, vanilla, fresh roasted coffee, raisin, dry cocoa, and a touch of woody alcohol especially in the finish.

M: Wonderfully thick and syrupy with an approximately mild carbonation.

D: Very drinkable for such a rich and full-flavored beer, but the 9.4% abv. will catch up to you along with the heaviness of the flavors.

Overall this beer was such a welcomed surprise as an extra in an already superb trade with Wespatrick and it was indeed on my want list to boot. Truly an exceptional BA Imperial Stout with great aroma and flavor that is sure to impress fans of the style. Highly Recommended. (1,084 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: Black with ruby highlights. I always think these oatmeal beers look oatmeal-y (I look for chunks every time), but I doubt they really do. Decent cappuccino head.

Smell: Big roast malt, caramelized/burnt sugar, cocoa, vanilla, fudge coffee.

Taste: Molasses, roast malt, chocolate, fudge, espresso, vanilla, coconut. Not nearly enough bourbon. A few plums and dark berries as well.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and thick.

Drinkability: Average for the style. I was not particularly impressed by this one. (506 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Huge props to mwa423 for the FREE pour. Pours motor oil black and extremely thick with almsot no head at all. What head there is comes out a light brown. The aroma is a lot of malt and a lot of coffee. Not as sweet as I'd expected. The taste is way more coffee than I expected. For being barrel-aged it doesn't have near the whiskey aroma or taste that I expected. The mouthfeel is very thick, even for a 9.4% beer. all in all I'd say I'm dissapointed. For something this higly rated I'm dissapointed. (501 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to msubulldog25 for trading me this.

Poured in a big wine glass at 55F.

Black, with some dark tan froth, and a bit of finely patterned lace.

Aromas of roasted grain, cocoa, raisin, charred bourbon barrel, and deep caramelly bourbon and malt nicely married, with some vanilla. A bit reticent, but cohesive and good.

The flavor is sweeter than the aroma lets on. Massive sweet bourbon-malt-chocolate-cherry-raisin, soon joined by just enough roastiness to achieve reasonably good balance. A smidgen of citrusy hop flavor. Dries out somewhat in a long tasty finish, with some dry cocoa and earth joining up with the bourbon barrel.

Decadent, full, creamy texture. A pleasure to drink. (693 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +9.9%

I want to thank BigEarl for this bottle. Dan provided this to me as he made his way back to Chicago to work at FFF. Dan we miss you here in Boston.

Poured this into my favorite snifter. A finger of dark tan head forms. Not very aggressive and shy of creamy. The beer is quite shiny and the deepest brown. (not black)
The head does fade in ½ rather quickly then sits as a thin cap. Some slight lacing remains.

Tons of vanilla in the aroma. Slightly woody and of slight chocolate.

Flavor is just fantastic. Layers of vanilla and dark roasted malt. Some dark fruits and I almost swear I taste cherry or to be more specific, chocolate covered cherry. Lots of bourbon which again takes me back to the vanilla. Such a wonderful smooth finish. You really get a touch of wood as it fades.

Creamy, full bodied and silky smooth.

Just wonderful. I am happy that I have another bottle of this. Fantastic. (898 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

The 99th review of this great beer is a live review. [99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer....] Poured from the 1 pint, 6 fl. oz bottle that I bought at Rozi's in Lakewood, Ohio about a month ago. I absolutely loved the standard B.O.R.I.S. and so I was excited to find this one. I do not recall the price. I do not recall looking at the price. Poured into my gold rimmed Brewery Ommegang labeled Westvleteren style goblet.

A Pours oil black with a rather brief but impressive medium brown head (this is not a standard light head here folks!) that dissipated too quickly into a ring around the top of the beer. I would have hoped for more head retention but this is a beautiful looking RIS. 4.5

S Oh yeah, the dark roast malt, whiskey notes and even a great chocolate smell waft up from the surface of the beer, inspiring the beholder to comprehend all of the wonderfulness within. Exceptional smell. 5.0

T The taste is exactly what the smell suggests and oh my! What a taste it is! First I am washed over with dark roast malt goodness, then there is a wave of alcohol mixed with whiskey tones then the whole thing washes away with a great return of the dark roast malt, chocolate ripples and smooth as silk bigness. A true adventure of taste that should be experienced by anyone reading this. 5.0

M As mentioned, this is a huge beer with waves of tastes and sensations but it is at the same time smooth as silk and the feel is punctuated by a kick of warmth (the whiskey?) in the early taste. I think that I like the feel of regular B.O.R.I.S. better for that reason (for the feel I would prefer to skip the sharp jab of alcohol that I attribute to the whiskey barrels). 4.0

D Despite all of these huge tastes it is quite drinkable, almost begging to be sipped over and over. That quality tends to be rare for the style although I can think of a few that achieve that quality. It emulates the sublime Big Black Voodoo Daddy in drinkability and that is really a compliment. 4.5 (1,995 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

A - Dull. Not much head. Coffee colored. Not much lace.

S - Yum. Coffee. Mocha... Dry chocolate.

T - Nice blend of the chocolate and coffee with malt, but a strange aftertaste that doesn't really go well. Powdery, off.

M - Good carb and coating, same argument for Taste, off somewhat.

D - Tasty enough to go the distance, but the ABV might hurt! (349 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

buckeyeboy brought this to the Pennsylvania vs. Ohio beer tasting on Saturday.. Ohio won the tasting.. Penn State lost the damn game... poured into a big wine goblet.

Deeeep dark brown head.. good retention and significant lacing... swirling the beer coats the glass ... nearly stains the glass.

The aroma is very much complimented by the barrels.. vanilla goes great with chocolate and the lite coffee .. big and roasty of course with something that reminds me of cinnamon.

Flavor is a restrained monster... Deep dark chocolate is firmed up by some good malty sweetness.. the barrel and the bourbon really comes in mid-palate and lasts forever.. less coffee than the nose.. but some minor espresso is there for sure and helps with a bit of acidity.. as it warms, some dark cherry really comes out too... the body is near perfect.. the carbonation is lighter than expected but pushes a velvety mouthfeel.. this is a very nice stout.

Thanks Jeremy.... I knew you were bringing the ruckus.. and this was a fantastic brew to compliment your damn Buckeyes victory. (1,064 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

Consumed on Halloween night, while handing out candy to the neighborhood kids.

Pours a flatish coffee color. Little to no head. Obviously, due to the lack of head, this was in a barrel.

Smells of strong vanilla. Wood, toffee, chocolate, some boozy whiskey. Great nose.

The taste is really great. Strong vanilla, nice oatmealish smoothness. Great use of barrel aging. This is the best use of bourbon barreling that ive found thus far in a stout.

Recommended. (464 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Acquired in a trade and poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Thick and viscous black liquid that supported a dark mocha colored head. Lacing and head didn't seem to last very long.

S: Definitely picked up the whiskey, very similar to Jack Daniels, along with dark fruit and subtle chocolate.

T: I was a little suspicious about how this beer was going to turn out after sticking my nose in my glass for a few minutes, but I was pleasantly surprised by how well all the flavors gelled together. I picked up this sweet chocolate up front that was backed up by very minute, but noticeable notes of caramel, whiskey, dark fruit, and vanilla. There may possibly be some anise in this brew as well.

M: Creamy, oily, full-body...basically awesome!

D: Even though I was able to pick up some of the alcohol hotness...I found this beer incredibly easy to drink. The immense and complex flavor profile probably had a lot to do with it.

Overall: One of the most flavorful and complex Imperial Stouts out there! I was really impressed on how well all the flavors came together in the end. A must try beer and something I'll be tracking down again. Cheers! (1,173 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

22 oz bottle, 9.4% abv. Pours jet black, the perfect color for an imperial stout. Good looking tan head holds together for a minute, then falls to a thin layer, leaving no lace. Looks the part so far.

What a nose on this beast! Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt. A good amount of toasted oak, and some whiskey notes. A few dark fruit notes as well. Other than whiskey, a hint of hot alcohol.

Dark chocolate with some lighter roasty notes. Good amount of whiskey, with some oak notes. A nice vanilla flavor near the end with some vinous notes as well.

Not quite a full body. Low carbonation. Still somewhat creamy and chewy. Some alcohol stands out, but not overly hot. Great complexity. The barrel aging adds a great layer here. Outstanding. (747 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to several trading partners for hooking me up with bottles of this sweet beer.
Pours a dark, oily black with just a few bubbles, no head.
Mild aromas of dark chocolate, banana, molasses, vanilla, slight oak.
Wow, this beer tastes much much better than the aroma - there are huge chocolate, vanilla, and oak flavors along with banana and a nice pepper spiciness (where is THAT coming from?). The bourbon barrels contributed perfectly to the base stout - it's not too overpowering like many bourbon barrel stouts. There's just a mild bourbon taste with really more vanilla and oak coming from the aging.
The mouthfeel is thick and smooth with an oiliness that coats the mouth. The carbonation level is perfect for the style.
Drinkability is surprisingly high - if I weren't sharing this bottle I could have polished off the 22 ounces easily.
Overall this is a fantastic bourbon barrel stout and one of my favorites. (920 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%

Picked this one up from Jason over at Bruisin Ales in Asheville...

I enjoyed this one on Halloween night while enjoying the original "Halloween" with Jamie Lee Curtis and the awesome theme music....

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this beer is the epitome of Halloween midnight black... Completely void of any light.... Slowly forms a very thin and quickly fading mocha head... Then it just sits there.. Heavy and thick looking.. Excellent looking...

There's no mistaking the barrel aging here...huge aromas of the bourbon mix wonderfully with the deep dark roasted malts, the hints of sweet dark fruits, the delicate smoothness of the vanilla and the richness of the dark chocolate malts... This is powerfully enticing and addictive...the complexity added by the barrels really does this one justice... The bourbon aromas aren't overpowering at all; they lend an extra layer here not usually found in others...

An incredibly rich and thick chewy mouthfeel, unbelievably thick and creamy... The burn of the bourbon is smoothed out perfectly by the sweet dark chocolate roasted malts and vanilla flavors as well as the tinge of dark fruits...this one is really delicious... The alcohol makes a quick appearance on the finish reminding me to enjoy every delicious sip....

This is definitely one of the top 10 brews that I've ever had... A sipper, for sure.... A masterpiece... (1,374 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks goes out to Wespatrick for this brew.

22oz. Bomber

Poured into a chalice a very nice black color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is awesome, malty, very nice oak note, chocolate, toffee, caramel, dark fruits. The taste is amazing, malty, oaky, nice sweet vanilla note, chocolate, toffee, and some dark fruit. Full body, this is a nice smooth, slightly chewy brew, a sipper for sure. Very drinkable, man this one is tasting very nice tonight. Thanks Wes! (523 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

22oz. bomber poured into tulip glasses:

A: Aggressive pour which created no head just a lace of mocha on the top. The beer itself....well if you close your eyes really tight, so that not even a sliver of light can get in, that's how dark this brew is. It most certainly looks viscous, and rich.

S: The nose on this one is robust black coffee, bitter sweet dark chocolate, with notes of vanilla and butterscotch. Then just a touch of whiskey towards the end.

T: The chocolate and coffee marries very well in this RIS, leaving you with a rich dark mocha flavor throughout the entire palate. Very bitter sweet, whiskey showing through near the finish. Leaving your mouth watering for more.

M: Heavy, viscous, and creamy just how we would expect a great RIS to be. Little to no carbonation, with a warming sensation from the alcohol in the chest.

D: Hoppin Frog did a great job on this one, it is definitely "Bodacious", and we will be purchasing more in the near future. We didn't want this bottle to end.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop (1,033 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bomber into a Duvel snifter pours a deep opaque black with almost no head, just a dark tan ring and a tiny island of thin tan froth, slight lacing is left behind on the glass. Aroma is Bourbon oak up front with roasted malts, espresso, vanilla and slight bitter cocoa. The taste is loads of sweet roasted malts with a bit of boozy alcohol, way sweeter than I expected from the aroma. The sweetness does settle down a bit as the beer warms. The beer is fairly heavy, but an enjoyable sipper. I was able to enjoy this one, but I really wish the taste had lived up to the aroma. (580 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

My impression of B.O.R.I.S without the barrel aging was summedup with two words - beer orgasm! I'm eager to go back to second helpings with the barrel aged version.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a MJ snifter.

A - This mocha head, that leaves quickly. But lots of tiny carbonation bubbles continue to crop up and cling to the sides of the glass. Still black hole dark, no light enters or leaves. Viscous in the glass, oily, but the wood aging seams to have thinned it a bit. Rated same as B.O.R.I.S.

A - First sniffs are of wood, a little sourness, vanilla, the whiskey comes through nicely, some roasted notes at the back edge. The wood aging has scrubbed out the luscious velvety aromas of the original beer, to the point that they dominate eveything else. I really liked the original, and miss some of those oatmeal RIS notes. Gonna have to knock it down one notch, because to me, the original should come through a little more than this.

T - First sip is bourbon, then a woody sourness. Roasted maltiness comes through a little later. Not quite as lush and velvety as the original. As it warms, you get some of the wood tannins coming through. Still wish there was more balance with the original, unaged beer. B.O.R.I.S. really wow-ed me. The barrel aging took some of the wonder off for me. Again, I'm going to knock it down a notch, because I'm looking for a little more balance.

M - still full and lush, viscous, oily, some tannins from the wood give it a little astrigency. Still very nice beer. But still gonna lower my rating from the original B.O.R.I.S. A lot of the chocolatey, velvety, whipped cream foam in the original has been stripped by the wood aging.

D - this is a cold winter night sipper by the fireside. If given as a gift or a trade, I keep it and lay it down for a year to see how it mellows. But from an economic standpoint, I'll pay $9 for B.O.R.I.S. and continue to be wow-ed, routinely, rather than spend the $19 for the barrel aged and miss the qualities of original that I really miss in this example. Still a great beer. If you get the chance, you must try it. Better yet, get them both and try them side by side. Both are remarkable beers. (2,178 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

Rich deep nearly pitch black brown hued color with moderate lace retention. Head is hickory brown and although initially boisterous, short lived. Lots of burnt sugar, vanilla, moderate amounts of bourbon notes, roasted oatmeal, mostly sweet smells, but there's nice sourness coming from the roast. Flavor brings in some predictable bitter dark chocolate notes which pair surprisingly well with the whiskey. Lots of sugary sweetness too. Alcohol is in the forefront, but finishes with little emphasis. Otherwise, the aroma accurately foretells the taste.

Body is thick, thicker than any other beer Ive had. More than chewy, filling and velvety smooth on the tongue. Its really a wonderful stout. (695 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Charred oak barrel black with no highlights whatsoever. No how, no way. The magnificent cap of foam is the color of a double chocolate fudge milkshake and looks to be as creamy and as thick. It melts in super-slow motion and is absolutely plastering the glass with lace. Yeah, but is it perfect? Yessiree.

If the aroma is any indication, Fred left B.O.R.I.S. in the whiskey barrels for precisely the right length of time. The roasted maltiness of the base RIS is easily appreciated alongside the beautiful burnt sugar and vanilla notes imparted by the barrels. This is shaping up to be one gobsmacker of a stout.

Regular B.O.R.I.S. needs a re-review in the worst way. I had a feeling that my experience on the day of that review wasn't what it should have been (because I was lucky enough to taste the beer right out of the tanks on a visit to the brewery). I say that because simply aging this beast in whiskey barrels couldn't have improved it this much. Even without the bourbon, it's a remarkable RIS. A bodacious one even.

The flavor profile can only be described as thunderous, thanks to what tastes like several metric tons of roasted and black malt. There aren't too many versions with this much dark chocolatiness. Other flavors include espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark caramel, vanilla beans and coconut. The flavor and bitterness of the hops gives it that edge that puts it over the top. Even more whiskey would have been welcome, but the beer is still amazing.

The mouthfeel was flirting with the next lowest score until the last few mouthfuls. Warming firms things up, smooths them out and adds a luscious creaminess akin to... well... heavy cream. Laid back bubbles are dead solid perfect.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. is Hoppin' Frog's best beer (and they brew some beauties). It has everything that I look for in a bourbon barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, and then some. Here's hoping that Mr. Karm releases it yearly. And that some kind Ohio BA will hook me up if I'm not able to make it back in time to clear out a few stores. (2,049 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%

A- Black with nice tan head. So black you can't through it holding it up to the light!

S- Sweet with dark chocolate notes as well as smokey whiskey barrel scents.

T- Amazing! This beer has a great amount of flavor such as dark chocolate, coffee and a lot of whiskey which gives it a nice sweet taste! Leaves a nice warm feeling in your chest.

M- F'n PHENOMENAL !! ... Easily one of the smoothest imperial stouts we have had yet.

D- This was the lowest score we gave the beer but that does not mean that it is bad. Due to the thickness and sweetness of the beer, this is something we would enjoy a few glasses of at a small get together but not something we'd pound at a party for 4 hours...

Enjoy!

Tom and Analise (719 characters)

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery