Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 587 | Hads: 2,262
4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks to TCGoalie for sharing this brew at our tasting. This review is written from a group audio review that also included BuckyFresh and TCHopCraver.

BA B.O.R.I.S. poured your typical imperial stout deep dark brown. It seemed quit opaque and while it lacked much of a head, when swirled it had a pretty amazing mocha brown head.

The smell was AMAZING. This was probably one of the best smelling BA stouts I have ever sniffed. Plenty of bourbon whiskey notes, loads of vanilla, dark cocoa, oak, coffee and burnt wood. I realize an aroma cannot be creamy, but more than one person described it as being just that.

The taste did not disappoint either as we were treated to a taste sensation of rich dark cocoa, coffee, caramel, burnt wood, bourbon, vanilla, oak and some toasted marshmallow. The spirit flavors were a bit more muted in the flavor, which is something that I enjoyed.

The mouthfeel was also excellent with a medium body and a wonderful sweetness. The carbonation seems right on and the finish is well balanced with a nice amount of richness and char.

This has to be one of the most enjoyable BA stouts I have ever had. I think this bottle might have had some age on it (we could not find a date) which may have mellowed a bit of the whiskey and improved our ratings some. I have had normal Boris before and really liked it, so I guess it should not be a surprise that I enjoyed this one as well. I would definitely pick this one up if you find it on a shelf somewhere.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours black with a small frothy head. Light lacing.

S: Aromas of mocha, hazelnuts, and a hint of vanilla.

T: Full-flavored and a bit bitter. Earthy with prominent oak and vanilla flavors followed by coffee and bitter chocolate. Quite a lot of bourbon character.

M: Full-bodied with light carbonation. Sticky and dense.

D: Not quite as easy to drink as the regular BORIS; the bourbon is a bit too aggressive I think. With a year or two of aging, this one should be amazing.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review taken from notes a week ago(March 2013)

Got this filled off tap at Ashland Beverage Center(Ashland, Ky.). Poured into a 16 oz brown flip top growler. I'm assuming this is the most recent batch. Cool looking Frog Head tap handle. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - This thing is a wicked black with hints of dark brown painting the bottom corners. Rich medium brown head sits nicely on top. Bigger and fluffier than I expected. The black liquid produces a good bit of stick to the glass.

S - Black English malts with big whiffs of sweetness and some ridiculously crazy dark fruit. Good roastiness to the aroma with a woodiness that grabs you. Sweet caramel and vanilla like bourbon aroma. A small hint of licorice and spice. This is how a big stout is supposed to smell. Black and no nonsense.

T - big and bold alcohol flavors give off a nice complex flavor. Bourbon barrel goodness with sweet notes of caramel and vanilla. Thick molasses like within the sweetness. Roasted black malt and a touch of dark fruit. Black licorice and the hop spices balance the flavor.

M - pretty damn smooth for a stout of this size. I've read this stout was a bit thin, but I get nothing but a thick mouthfeel. Smooth and luscious. Goes down very nicely and I found it fairly easy to drink compared to some big stouts. But hey maybe it's just bc it came off tap. Idk.

O - Hoppin' Frog is a fine brewery and they have a stout thats as good as any I've ever had. With all the focus going to a certain well deserved Am Double Stout this time of year this thing was kind of just sitting there on tap getting no attention. Well, I'll tell you now, this thing will grab your attention and blow you away with its all business style. It has the quality to stand beside anything in the world. I've never had the standard Boris, but the barrel aged version is top shelf. I think they use Heaven Hill barrels. I'd like to know which specific bourbon was in those barrels. Regardless I'll buy this again if it's available. A fantastic experience. A fantastic stout.

4.54/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

White top ('12) 22oz poured into softball sized snifter.

Poured with the thinnest of brown heads on top of deep black. No carbonation or lacing. Just what I was expecting.

All kinds of dark fruit aroma: plums and raisins. Maybe some brownie batter. When I first popped this I overlooked the tremendous oatmeal character. Just like how ginger ale's a little better with a dash of bourbon... you know what I'm talking about, same here. It's subtle but it rounds everything out.

Depth is the keyword on the taste. Starts a touch sweet, finishes perfectly bitter + dry. I get a little mineral content at first and then it reminds of of walking into a bakery: vanilla, coffee, cocoa being melted, (candied) dark fruits, oatmeal cookies, etc. There's a few bba stouts I've had that take me to "that place." This is definitely one of them.

It really sits perfectly on the palate. Extremely silky and creamy, much more so the the std BORIS. Just a touch of drying booze as it goes down.

Absolutely an awesome beer with tons of character and depth. The price point makes this a "once in a while" beer, but I kind of appreciate that model versus something like BCBS being unavailable 90% of the time. If you're reading this on a phone standing in an aisle, go for it, it's worth the money.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Thick black and brown with a nice frothy mocha head that dissipates into a ring fairly quickly. Good frothiness as you swirl, and nice (but not super sticky) lacing.

S: Roasted coffee, whiskey, chocolate

T: Tastes much more smooth and complex than it smells. It's like you're drinking an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie that's been dipped in sweet mocha. Bitter dark chocolate and roasted coffee, with a strong but nicely balanced whiskey kick. Some hints of vanilla and cherry. Earthly woody oatmeal undertones. You have to look for the hops but they're there, rounding out the phenomenal complexity.

F: Very thick, creamy, and sticky. Like I said above, it's like a liquid version of an oatmeal chocolate cookie.

O: A GREAT barrel-aged stout. One of the most complex I've had. I'd put it up there with barrel-aged Dark Lord for complexity and enjoyment.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber courtesy of Auslander, thanks for this gem Chris! Pours motor oil viscous with a super small brown head. No retention and lacing, obviously.

Smells like Raisinettes soaked in vanilla vodka...in a good way. I only get light woodiness from the barrel treatment, but it smells better than regular B.O.R.I.S. me thinks.

I think the oatmeal smoothness and mouthfeel shines better here. A nice complimenting fruit/chocolate aspect that seems smoother than the regular and even the aged B.O.R.I.S. that is nicely balanced by a big, drying alcohol presence. The wood is nice, not overly bold, but adds a nice layer of depth. It seems the overall scores for the BAL and non-BAL are about the same, but I think the barrel aged version is slightly superior to the ‘aged’ offering. Tasty stuff here!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Darkest brown with a super creamy fudge colored head that melts slowly to a mocha skim and leaves sheets of tan lace on the glass. The aroma of roasted dark malt, anise and toasted bourbon barrel is really nice, I could smell this beer for hours but..on the the drink. Molten fudge, rum soaked raisin, molasses, cocoa, freshly roasted coffee and a fairly heavy handed hop dosage that struggles to get through. As the beer warms slightly, the flavors grow more complex with mascerated dark fruity and nutty flavors blending perfectly with toasted oak. Rich and full bodied with an especially velvety smoothness. This is a truly decadent stout and is the best beer I've had from the Frog (no DORIS yet). A world class stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is Batch 3, the green cap. It pours a medium bodied, silky smooth midnight black in color with a beige lacing around the rim of my snifter. The aromas are of sweet milk chocolate, lightly roasted coffee, with a soft sweet bourbon, vanilla finish. The bourbon is exceptionally well played at this point in it's aging. It actually smells very, very similar to KBS at this point. The flavor gets even better. It boasts both sweet and bitter chocolates, lightly roasted coffee, light oak, a touch of vanilla and a perfectly well rounded and soft bourbon note to finish. This beer is near perfect. I really can't believe how well blended everything is and how well the chocolate, coffee, and bourbon intermingle. It is exceptionally smooth and doesn't overly stick to the palate, yet leaves you with a touch of chocolate, rye, and light bourbon. This beer was near perfect! I highly recommend trying this one aged.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The record heat in GA this summer will not keep me from this beer! As I was digging through the cellar for something to try I saw the BA B.O.R.I.S. and decided it was due to time to open it. Right in line with the robust, regular B.O.R.I.S. it pours black as night, no light getting through this beer, it even looks thick! A gorgeous dense, tan head rests atop... a head this dense, of course, leaves tons of lacing on the glass as you sip & enjoy the beer. The aroma is a nicely balanced cornucopia of roasted malts, coffee, vanilla, whiskey, and a bit of alcohol esters. Unlike some BA stouts, the barrel aging seems to be right on here, and does not overtake the aroma. The flavor is an even more pronounced version of the aroma, the roasted malts are right alongside coffee flavors, but along with a rich, delicious chocolate characteristic. Again in the flavor, the vanilla & whiskey hints from the oak barrel are there to accompany the beer, not overtake, but it does have a bit of an alcoholic heat to it. Mouthfeel is everything I want in a big stout, rich, velvety, and creamy, just perfect. I must give credit to Hoppin' Frog on this beer, with so many BA beers hitting the market these days, this one is definitely a stand-out that uses the barrel aging process to add complexity to an already outstanding beer, not overtake it.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to several trading partners for hooking me up with bottles of this sweet beer.
Pours a dark, oily black with just a few bubbles, no head.
Mild aromas of dark chocolate, banana, molasses, vanilla, slight oak.
Wow, this beer tastes much much better than the aroma - there are huge chocolate, vanilla, and oak flavors along with banana and a nice pepper spiciness (where is THAT coming from?). The bourbon barrels contributed perfectly to the base stout - it's not too overpowering like many bourbon barrel stouts. There's just a mild bourbon taste with really more vanilla and oak coming from the aging.
The mouthfeel is thick and smooth with an oiliness that coats the mouth. The carbonation level is perfect for the style.
Drinkability is surprisingly high - if I weren't sharing this bottle I could have polished off the 22 ounces easily.
Overall this is a fantastic bourbon barrel stout and one of my favorites.

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%

22 ounce bottle in a snifter. with a sliver cap.

A: black, creamy head, nice lace,

S: whisky, coffee,

T: wow, this is regular boris with a improved complexity, well done the whisky is spot on.

M: creamy, with amazing body.

D: went down smooth, liked it more than the regular one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours black as night with a one finger, creamy, chocolate head. Retention and lacing are phenomenal.

S- Scent is mostly of bourbon and heavy malts. Sweet oatmeal malt is present, but mutedly so. Chocolate and coffee flavors are prominent once you are past the bourbon flavor.

T- Starts off with a boozy, bourbon flavor. It is intermingled with the chocolate and coffee malts, which are the most prominent of the malt flavors. Hints of the oatmeal base are present, but barely noticeable. Finishes with a slight coffee malt bite and a stronger whiskey kick.

M- Heavy on the palate, but so, so smooth. The oatmeal base provides a smoothness that most barrel-aged imperials can’t compare with. Alcohol is a little strong for a 9.4% ABV stout.

O- Overall, this is a delicious beer. The barrel-aging adds a layer of complexity, but the bourbon can be a tad bit on the overwhelming side. I need to try the regular B.O.R.I.S.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bought this on my trip to Chicago in April. Just now getting around to opening it.

Poured out of the bottle, with a black cap, a thick motor oil black into a Stone RIS glass. Thin head with little retention. Scent of the bourbon hits my nose, but that's all I get, I have a terrible nose. The taste has the bourbon burst up front with a bit of a hop presence. Then bring on the oats . . . the mouth just shuts down and goes dryer than a desert. A wonderful complexity and very well balanced. No two flavors are stronger than the other. Mouthfeel is perfectly bodied for the style and dry.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

After a long drive home I decided it was time to crack open a biggie that I have been dying to try, served chilled and poured into a darkness snifter, this one was consumed on 07/26/2009.

Appearance - The poor was black as night with a thin tan head on top. Not hanging around long it faded back into the abyss and left some light side glass lacing that webbed out decently.

Smell - Big aroma here. Lots of dark fruity notes which suprised me, but melted into rich vanilla and oak like notes that wrapped around a soild base of chocolate and coffee. Very well done.

Taste - Again huge here. There are loads of vanilla and oak notes that wash across the tongue first, filling the palate and really exploring the full spectrum of taste here. Chocolate and coffee move in but then the suprise, nice notes of plums maybe? Perhaps figs, where this fruit like note is coming from I am not sure but it is more then a welcome sight here and really serves to thicken the flavor. A long drawn out finish winds down with a light hint of vanilla and cocoa dacing on the tongue.

Feel - Big, but not too thick it is very well balanced. Despite the lack of the big head on it there is very good carbonation that works on all levels quite nicely.

Drinkabilty - Very nicely done again here. The ABV is deceptively smooth and none of the flavors overbearing. I literally thought it was outstanding to sip on and found myself indulging in a bit more then I thought during the course of the night.

Overall it was outstanding. One of the better barrel aged stouts I have had in a very long time. Why it took me soo long to get ahold of this one I have no idea but it was well worth it for sure. I would do this again any day, I may have a new favorite!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Appears an opaque black with a fluffy tan cap that slowly fades into a gentle cap and hearty collar. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of complex dark ripe fruit, vanilla, bourbon, black grapes, raisins, caramel, buttercream candies, dark chocolate truffles...man, intense ride here.
Taste is of the aromas with a superb complex blend of cocoa, sea salted caramels, dark cocoa truffles, turbinado sugar, vanilla, and the obvious bourbon blend. As a bourbon fan - this is outrageous.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, syrupy, slick in the finish, with a boozy finish that screams, "hope this is a nightcap, bitch!". That it is. Loving it! Well done.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to FlandersNed for trading me this at DLD '09!

A: Pours black with a dark mocha colored head. Retention is ok with very little in the way of lace left behind.

S: Bourbon, pan roasted caramel, burnt malt, dark fruit, chocolate covered cherry, and caramelized sugar candy.

T: Burnt caramel (in a good way, seriously), bourbon, charred barrel, dark chocolate, and bread pudding with a caramel/maple custard glaze.

M: Slick and very slippery. Sweet and creamy. Coating. Delicious sweet finish.

D: OMG! Where is the alcohol? Some RIS's clobber you in the mouth with sweetness, booziness, bitterness...sometimes all three at once. This one shows restraint and balance and that results in perfect drinkability!

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

I've been waiting to try this expensive but awesome looking beer for a while now. Finally found a night to do it, watching the Bruins kick the Flyers...I finally get to see if it's worth it.

A: Opens with a soft but distinct ppsssttt, but the heavy pour yields only a very small dark colored head that doesn't even cover the whole top. The beer itself is pitch black, blacker than deep space with some nice lookin legs on the sides of the glass.

N: I could smell the roast and chocolate on the pour. I dive in deeper battling back the urge to start drinking, and find the roast is not as much as I expected. It has some heavy roast but not loaded like some other RIS. The same can not be said for the chocolate, which is loaded. Lots of bakers chocolate, coco nibs, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, coco crispies the cereal, etc. There's quite a bit of bourbon and oak with that, with a little vanilla. And with that is some woody esthers, like fresh saw dust almost. Then more dark malts, some crystal and caramel aromas, and hints of brown sugar and molasses.

T: Not sure if I should attempt to taste or just keep enjoying the nose, but alas I gotta. I take a mouthful, and the coffee and roast is a lot more dominant now. Still not sure heavy but def lets you know its there. Its super rich and creamy, smooth, velvety, and... umm... rich. It's very thick and syrupy and has legs on my tongue even. Then comes the chocolate, which comes in waves and feels like it's melting in my mouth (not my hand luckily). As it warms in my mouth the chocolate turns from a creamy milk chocolate to a bakers and dark chocolate and fresh melted cocoa nibs. The literal feeling of it melting in my mouth as it warms is really cool. Luscious and rich, it adds more sweet dark malts, with dark crystal and some toasty flavors. More sweetness with caramel, molasses, and gallons of malts. Some bourbon cuts through all the heavy beer (if I can call it that). A little oak and wood with all that, and even hint of vanilla as it warms. A little bitterness coming from the roasted malts but they did a really good job of keeping the bitterness at bay compared to most super heavy RIS beers. A slight hint of warming booze and taste of it.

M: Must I say it again... oh why not cause its so great, super thick and luscious, creamy, smooth, heavy and super thick, but almost no carbonation.

F: Still a little bitterness but its very little comparatively. Still semi sweet from all the heavy malts, with more lingering brown sugar and molasses, as well as tons upon tons of malts. It just sticks all over the mouth and I can practically feel it slowly dripping down with legs, like used motor oil does slowly down the oil pan. Lots of lingering luscious chocolate as well, all kinds still. Almost no more roasted or coffee flavors, just more smooth dark malts and chocolate. WIth all that is hints of lingering vanilla and a little oak, but not really any bourbon anymore either. Hints of warming booze... wait, no... yeah! I do get a little coffee now. On another sip as it slowly thinned on my mouth and evaporated, or I mean slowly fell off, I got some more lingering coffee and roast, but then was gone again. Long stickiness too as it just coats everything with a probably 1030 gravity liquid of really heavy viscosity.

Overall an amazingly tasty beer, with great smoothness and mouth feel. Drinks like it is 9.4% (which it is), some really nice malt flavors and lots of chocolate, hints of roast. Could have used a little more of teh bourbon and oak flavors, and some carbonation. Otherwise one of my new fav stouts (not top, but up there, probably top 5).

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Black-really a very, very dark brown. Nice tight cocoa head on top. Sticky lacing on the glass as it goes down. Rich espresso aroma with a faint touch of oak-just enough to make it noticeable. Deep, rich and chocolatey flavors right upfront. Roasted and espresso like flavors. Slightly hot, boozey bite to it. Nice oak flavors in the backround. Velvety smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Really well done all in. Not as in your face oaked as many beers seem to be. Damn yummy.

Thanks RoyMunson.

Pours a dark, brownish black with a very tiny dark tan foam which leaves a thin crust behind. Pours fairly thick, though not a sludge machine like Dark Lord.

Smells faintly, very faintly, of bourbon, but mostly of mocha, chocolate, and vanilla. Mmmm..

Taste is surprisingly sweet, and mild on the bourbon. Clearly, these guys aren't of the "bourbon bomb" philosophy. The bourbon is understated and supporting, and there's both dark and milk chocolate along with a huge amount of vanilla, some sour oatmeal twangs, and a nice billowy dark sweet fruit background.

This is one delicious beer, I must say. It is not that thick, but it is perfectly carbonated.

4.57/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this one up from Jason over at Bruisin Ales in Asheville...

I enjoyed this one on Halloween night while enjoying the original "Halloween" with Jamie Lee Curtis and the awesome theme music....

Poured into a Duvel tulip, this beer is the epitome of Halloween midnight black... Completely void of any light.... Slowly forms a very thin and quickly fading mocha head... Then it just sits there.. Heavy and thick looking.. Excellent looking...

There's no mistaking the barrel aging here...huge aromas of the bourbon mix wonderfully with the deep dark roasted malts, the hints of sweet dark fruits, the delicate smoothness of the vanilla and the richness of the dark chocolate malts... This is powerfully enticing and addictive...the complexity added by the barrels really does this one justice... The bourbon aromas aren't overpowering at all; they lend an extra layer here not usually found in others...

An incredibly rich and thick chewy mouthfeel, unbelievably thick and creamy... The burn of the bourbon is smoothed out perfectly by the sweet dark chocolate roasted malts and vanilla flavors as well as the tinge of dark fruits...this one is really delicious... The alcohol makes a quick appearance on the finish reminding me to enjoy every delicious sip....

This is definitely one of the top 10 brews that I've ever had... A sipper, for sure.... A masterpiece...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to dstoke85 for this bottle.

A: Black as black can be. Nice creamy coffee colored head on the top.

S: Huge chocolate, bourbon and oak. A bit of a bite from the alcohol. Smells really nice to me.

T: Drumroll please... Yowser. Smack in the face! Big Bourbon and oak flavor up front. Then comes a strong vanilla flavor, and it ends with a nice toasted malt flavor with just a hint of smoke. As this warms the smokey oak really comes out.

M: Creamy and smooth, just a little bite from the alcohol. Very nice.

D: Oh yes. Anytime.. tastes great and is creamy smooth. Definitely something I would drink again. Very nice beer.

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Strong bourbon nose. Very smooth mouthfeel. Bourbon is very evident in the taste, but so incredibly smooth and compliments the excellent base beer well. A great drink, and one to savor!

4.6/5  rDev +8%

Appearance - A beautiful dark pour that leaves a fluffy, tan, creamy ring of head around the glass. Leaves little lacing upon sitting.
Smell - The barrel aging is apparent, with hints of sweet, roasted coffee, and a light hop aroma to finish it off.
Taste - Again an initial hit of the wood barrels, followed by the roasted coffee, as the sweet sugary flavors come out right in your face. The finish is a fantastic combination of the woody, roasted flavors and the sweet creaminess.
Mouthfeel - The creamy texture of the stout is slightly lighter due to the barrel aging, with appropriate levels of carbonation.
Drinkability - The weakest asset of this beer, due mostly to the harder woody, bourbon flavors brought out due to aging.

Overall I loved this beer, one of the best OIS I have had in a long time. However, with some aging the balance in flavors will have a chance to settle to complete awesomeness!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a CBS Snifter

A: Pours a dark dark brown, almost black. 1finger deep mocha head. Decent amounts of lacing and retention.

S: Smells of Oak, Bourbon/Whiskey, Vanilla, Coffee and some chocolate. None are more overpowering all are subtle.

T: Bourbon/Whiskey and Oak on the tongue, followed by delicious creamy vanilla, chocolate, coffee. Hint of burn as it travels down.

M: Full body and medium carbonation.

O: Outstanding BA IRS. The flavors work extremely well in this. Nothing is overpowering, but you can definitely taste the details in all of it. FYI, This was a green cap but some say they are re-using colored caps.. no idea how old this guy is.

4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A.Poors like motor oil with a copper head.

S.The whiskey carry's a similar scent to a bourbon. Strong alcohol with grinded coffee and chocolate.

T.Sweeter than you would expect. Milk, coco, coffee, and a strong whiskey burn at the end.

M.Real smooth, not too thick not too thin.

Overall this is a top ten stout. Unlike this unique beer most whiskey aged stouts are terrible.

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery