Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 579 | Hads: 2,215
4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

Pardon my French but, holy shit is this good!

Arrives the color of a black hole at midnight during a new moon. No head at all.
Smell is amazing. Rich with malt, dark fruits, oak, whiskey, smoke. Probably the best balanced beer since Cigar City's oak aged Dirac.
Taste is great cold out of the tap but better once it has warmed 15-20 minutes. Notes of roasted malt, whiskey, dark fruits, smoke, oak. If you soaked a good fruitcake (yes, there are good ones!) in whiskey for a day it would be almost this good.
Full bodied, almost no carbonation. Smoothas a baby's butt. Rich as a rock star. One of the ten best beers I've ever had. (632 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -55.1%

Batch#4 2010 bottle - drinking it in 2013

Looks black
(appearance means nothing to me unless it looks gross)

Aroma is somewhat boozy. Roast, light chocolate, but more booze from the bourbon than the malt. A bit thin smelling.

Flavor is a hot mess. You get hit with cheap whiskey booze followed by over-roasted, charcoaled coffee beans bitterness. Alcohol burn lingers down my throat as if I'm drinking actual whiskey. Nasty char bitterness lingers as well. No oxidation mouthfeel so this is how this beer turns out aged. Some vanilla coating the tongue but overall this beer is nasty.

I haven't had this fresh, but if there's any proof that barrel-aged beers should be drunk fresh, this beer would be it. The regular BORIS is already such a wonderful robust stout, having this aged bottle leaves the impression to me that the barrel-aging ruins an already beautiful thing.

Also, this costs $18-$20 for a bomber.

(Disclaimer: my final rating does not reflect a fresh bottle nor what I truly think of the regular BORIS) (1,023 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bought this on my trip to Chicago in April. Just now getting around to opening it.

Poured out of the bottle, with a black cap, a thick motor oil black into a Stone RIS glass. Thin head with little retention. Scent of the bourbon hits my nose, but that's all I get, I have a terrible nose. The taste has the bourbon burst up front with a bit of a hop presence. Then bring on the oats . . . the mouth just shuts down and goes dryer than a desert. A wonderful complexity and very well balanced. No two flavors are stronger than the other. Mouthfeel is perfectly bodied for the style and dry. (589 characters)

Appearance: black as night body with a very thin bronzy-copper colored head that fizzes away in a heart beat and leaves a tan rim around the edge of the glass; no lacing; syrupy legs drip on the glass with each sip.

Aroma: dark roasted notes, lactic, toasted oak spice, a little vanilla coming from the oak barrel, dark roasted coffee, nice dose of chocolate, as the ale warms up a light bourbon note comes to life,

Flavors: just like the nose; rich dark roasted coffee, lactic acid feel, hint of sweet bourbon - oak spice with a touch of roasted vanilla and caramel, 85% dark chocolate like bitterness, a little bourbon like note and a dark chocolate bite on the aftertaste, not boozy

Mouthfeel: no carbonation, just a faint fizzy feel, thick, almost syrupy, kind of creamy, oak and alcohol spice on the tongue, the whisky note is mild, does not have an overwhelming alcohol feel, full body

To the Point: a really good barrel aged stout; this is a sipper; the last two or three barrel aged stouts that I have tried just did not appeal to me; this one is top shelf stuff; to me the bourbon note was just right – there was just a hint of it, the bourbon did not overpower the stout style. Time to get a bottle of bourbon off my bar and have a few sips as I finish this tasty stout. (1,288 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Re-reviewing this one- I've opened up 2 bottles in the past, but never got around to doing a review/recall on it. 22oz bottle with the white bottle cap (probably produced in 2012-2013), poured into CCB snifters with friends yesterday, 5/25/2013.

Aroma: A bit of sweet chocolate up front. I can almost smell the viscousness. And then the barrels kick me in the face. It smells like I just took a bottle of Jack Daniels, agitated it and opened it up to sniff it. Bourbon, vanilla, oak is all there. Smells boozy as hell. (4)

Colour: Dark, dark, dark beer that pours like motor oil. Light does not penetrate. Comes with a 2cm mocha head that dissipates into the beer quickly. Lacing is sporadic and not much of a player here. (4)

Flavour: Phew. It's heavy on the bourbon and the barrel, but it's got a nice underlying sweet chocolate and toffee flavours. It's strong enough that it isn't completely overwhelmed by the bourbon barrels but not cloyingly sweet that it would be annoying. The malts of this beer is definitely in a supporting role. It is basically bourbon with a lot of oak and some vanilla. A bit of coffee bitterness throughout as well. Despite all the strong bourbon components, it ends up being tasty- it comes together pretty well. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: Very thick bodied, light on the carbonation. Finish is on the sweet and dry side. The beer has the smells and tastes of bourbon but there isn't a whole lot of heat to be detected. Definitely a sipper and not to be enjoyed alone. (4.25)

Overall: Excellent barrel aged stout that you don't mess around with. It's strong, intense and rich. Doesn't necessarily showcase all of its components as well as other beers do (BCBS, Black Note comes to mind) but the amount of bourbon flavour and aromas blows every other BA beer away. I don't always like having such strong bourbon presence in my beers- I would also like the sweet malts to show up even more here rather than being a supporting player. But I can't deny that this is a very good bourbon'ed up stout.. I was lucky to get it for $10 a bomber, so I'm not sure I'd pay full price ($16-19) to drink more once my stash is gone. (4.25) (2,152 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - A slight finger's worth of deep menacing dark brown colored froth... Little or no retention... A very light swirl of misty lacing and uber thin collar is all that remains... The color is an inky flat black... Opaque with no light sneaking in anywhere... Some sluggish micro bubbled carbonation can be seen rising along the sides at the top of the glass... Appears to be a bit thick and viscous as I rock the glass back and forth...

S - A stellar delectable nose... Subtle well rounded notes of the Kentucky bourbon barrels are first to great the nose... There are also massive doses of rich milk chocolate and thick rich vanilla... Caramel and English toffee... Perhaps a hint of maple syrup... Some very faint roasted malt and light coffee scents linger beneath the surface... Quite appealing and intoxicating...

T - Delectable fudge brownies... Deep rich milk chocolate... Light vanilla notes... Caramel... Toffee... Subtle roasted malt... Subtle light coffee notes... The Kentucky bourbon notes don't really appear until the finish where they begin to crescendo and linger to a bit, but never over power...

M - Full bodied... Chewy... A bit viscous... Dense... Thick... Very lightly carbonated... Sleek and smooth... Even and consistent... Each sip is a pleasure...

D - A true testament to successful barrel aging... The Kentucky bourbon barrels compliment B.O.R.I.S, adding layers or depth and complexity and just the slightest boozy kick... It in no way masks the original beer... Dangerously quaffable given the near 10% ABV... Other than an unremarkable appearance, this one excels in every facet... I can highly recommend this brew and suggest it with a clear conscience and won't hesitate in seeking out again... (1,733 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

650ml bottle 9,4% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
No bottle date.

Appearance: Boris appears thick and viscous during the pour (more so than I would usually expect from a sub 10% beer) and settles an inky black in the glass, with a strong backlight only revealing a little deep red along the edges. Even the roughest of pours doesn’t yield much more than a thin layer of dark tan bubbles, while a swirl coats the glass in a thick brown residue and heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Oh wow, this smells fantastic! The whiskey barrels are certainly present (but don’t dominate the nose like bourbon barrels often do) and provide a fantastic creamy vanilla character to the beer, while the base beer provides notes of rich dark chocolate brownies, roasted malt, dark caramel and some molasses. As the beer begins to warm, a little dark fruit character becomes apparent alongside some liquorice and a little toasted malt.

Taste: Just as the nose suggested, this is absolutely delicious! Notes include: Deep roasted malt, rich dark caramel, bittersweet dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruits, liquorice and a little whiskey character in the finish. One of the few faults I can find (and it is a small one) is that as the beer warms, the barrel character seems to get a little lost behind the other flavours.

Mouthfeel: Given the appearance I wasn’t expecting there to be much in the way of carbonation, however surprisingly the carbonation is of a medium level and quite creamy. The body is just about spot on – full and quite sticky.

Overall: This was my first beer Hoppin Frog and I must say, I am very impressed. I can’t wait to get to the other beers I have from these guys. (1,712 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sexy beer. Very dark and viscus with only a little dark brown head. This looks very tastey. Right up my alley as far as BA beers are concerned.

Bourbon forward. The beer smells dark, rich, umami-y, and a little sweet. Not too much of a roast/smoke smell here. The bourbon notes are oak, booze, vanilla, and toffee.

Awesome flavor! Wow is this good. There is a very strong booze and oak presence, which I really love in a BB stout. The flavors follow the smell nicely, although there is a very roasty taste that is covered in the nose--obviously a side effect of some hearty dark malt. This roast covers the sweetness some, which I think there could be a bit more of. While the flavors are delicious, my only complaint is that the beer is a little two-dimensional. I would love for some more nuanced bourbon flavors to come across.

The mouthfeel is excellent. Creamy, low-medium carbonation, full-bodied, and pretty heavy. While there is a syrupy consistency, the oils don't linger too much making this more drinkable than many thick BB Stouts.

Overall this beer was very impressive. I don't know if it justifies the high cost to play, but at the moment I have no regrets! (1,179 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: dark burnt brown head forms on the pour. About a half a finger then dissipates to the edges of the glass. Pours pitch black with above average thickness.

Smell: Bright licorice sweet front to this brew. Malt and barley hit on the body of the beer. Sweet molasses adds to the brightness of this brew. Oatmeal hits on the body as well as the bourbon accents are light.

Taste: The sweetness theme continues here. A smooth front transitions into an bright oatmeal and dark chocolate. Nice hoppy accents in the body give it a unique twist. The barrel accents are light, I could use more of a presence. A roasted malt back end pleasantly bites and sticks on the palette long after drinking.

Mouthfeel: Clean, the body might be a little light for an RIS but nothing to get upset about.

Overall: I've liked all the Hoppin' Frog Stouts I've had so far. I expected a little more out of this one being the barrel aged version but it is still a very good beer. (967 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is almost pitch black with a half finger of tan head. The nose has roasted notes, but also some sherry to it. This offering is full-bodied, but not as overwhelming as D.O.R.I.S., which I had over a year ago.

The roasted bitterness grows on the finish and there is also a touch of bourbon present. All the flavors seem to blend together nicely. (355 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Review taken from notes a week ago(March 2013)

Got this filled off tap at Ashland Beverage Center(Ashland, Ky.). Poured into a 16 oz brown flip top growler. I'm assuming this is the most recent batch. Cool looking Frog Head tap handle. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

A - This thing is a wicked black with hints of dark brown painting the bottom corners. Rich medium brown head sits nicely on top. Bigger and fluffier than I expected. The black liquid produces a good bit of stick to the glass.

S - Black English malts with big whiffs of sweetness and some ridiculously crazy dark fruit. Good roastiness to the aroma with a woodiness that grabs you. Sweet caramel and vanilla like bourbon aroma. A small hint of licorice and spice. This is how a big stout is supposed to smell. Black and no nonsense.

T - big and bold alcohol flavors give off a nice complex flavor. Bourbon barrel goodness with sweet notes of caramel and vanilla. Thick molasses like within the sweetness. Roasted black malt and a touch of dark fruit. Black licorice and the hop spices balance the flavor.

M - pretty damn smooth for a stout of this size. I've read this stout was a bit thin, but I get nothing but a thick mouthfeel. Smooth and luscious. Goes down very nicely and I found it fairly easy to drink compared to some big stouts. But hey maybe it's just bc it came off tap. Idk.

O - Hoppin' Frog is a fine brewery and they have a stout thats as good as any I've ever had. With all the focus going to a certain well deserved Am Double Stout this time of year this thing was kind of just sitting there on tap getting no attention. Well, I'll tell you now, this thing will grab your attention and blow you away with its all business style. It has the quality to stand beside anything in the world. I've never had the standard Boris, but the barrel aged version is top shelf. I think they use Heaven Hill barrels. I'd like to know which specific bourbon was in those barrels. Regardless I'll buy this again if it's available. A fantastic experience. A fantastic stout. (2,050 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard black pressure cap and appealing fun label acquired at a Binny's in Chicago and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are very high given its reputation and ratings, though I wasn't blown away by regular B.O.R.I.S. "Stout Aged in Whiskey Barrels." 9.4% ABV confirmed. 60 IBU.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger rich dark tan colour head of nice cream, great thickness, and pretty good (4+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black. Opaque; nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. I dig the luscious head; it's quite appealing. Right on the money for the style, overall. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Whiskey is quite pungent here. Spicy hot whiskey, dark malts, cream, caramel, smooth oats, chocolate malt. The whiskey hides the oats; they were much more prominent in the non barrel aged variant. Woody barrel notes. Roast. Dark fruits - dark cherry, maybe some plum. Sweet, sticky. Vanilla. Not finding any coffee. An appealing aroma that adds a nice little something to the base beer with barrel aging. There's motivation for barrel aging here; I like it. I'm concerned about balance, but I'm looking forward to trying it. An aroma that isn't quite moderate in strength, but is well above average whilst retaining subtlety. Intriguing. I don't detect any yeast or hop character.

T: More sweet than anticipated. Not as hot as the aroma might suggest. Lots of chocolate malt, dark malts, caramel, and a bit of cream round out the body. Subtle whiskey notes hang about in the background, surging through a bit more on the finish - which doesn't exactly encourage the next sip. Not as roasty as I'd like, but there is detectable roast - which is more than I can say about many inferior imperial stouts. No floral or yeast character comes through. The sweetness bothers me after a while and definitely reduces drinkability. The chocolate notes are a highlight. I want more of the starchy oats like in the regular BORIS. Dark fruits never quite hit home, instead adding unnecessary sweetness without any real vibrant flavour. It's decently balanced, but its failure to emphasize any of its notes makes it come off a bit muted - or at least timid. The whiskey aging here is well executed, but there's an intrinsic heat to the whiskey. Little oak comes through but I do get some vanilla. A dash of spiciness from the whiskey. It's a tasty little stout, and I can see why it might have been the dog's bollocks in 2008.

Mf: Smooth, wet, sticky. Rolling oats add a nice smoothness without being too slick. Good carbonation. Nicely thick. Nice creaminess; it could do with more. Good body.

Dr: Drinkable in spite of its slightly present ABV. I've certainly had higher ABV stouts that hid their alcohol better. It's a sipper, but that's to be expected. I probably wouldn't bother with it in spite of its quality simply because while it's good, it's not exceptional. And at this price point, I can definitely get an exceptional stout. I look forward to trying more beers from Hoppin' Frog, but this didn't blow me away. I wouldn't mind trying it aged. I'd like to see them amp up the roast and amp up the oats. In my opinion, the oats are what set this imperial stout apart.

High B

Gets better as it warms. (3,557 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours an inky black color with a huge fluffy brown head that slowly settles.

The aroma is of dark toasted brown bread and light anise. Some dark chocolate covered cherries that have been soaked in whiskey. Subtle vanilla from the oak.

The taste has a big roasted flavor but its mellowed by the oats, not as bitey as a typical RIS. Some char. There is a general dark fruit notes that flows through. Some dark cherries and carob. Smooth vanilla and caramel provide some sweetness. The whiskey flavor is light but noticable and adds to the sweetness.

The stout is well bodied and some tingly carbonation. Fairly smooth throughout. Starts sweet on the palate but finishes with a roasted bitterness. ABV is well hidden. Slightly sticky.

A good imperial stout. Quite smooth. Not much whiskey flavor, though. (806 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Portion of a 22 oz bottle poured into a Hunahpu's snifter. From notes.

A: Pours a very dark brown color. The head is a one-finger tan shade.

S: I first notice plenty of sweet chocolate, backed by some dark fruits and a good whiskey character. The barrel influence is subtle and balanced within the base beer on the nose.

T: The first sip comes off sweet and fruity, with the whiskey barrel appearing on the midtaste and finish - like the nose, it's subtle and well integrated with the mocha finish. Hints of oatmeal are found on the back end, too. Good complexity here.

M: The body itself is creamy and medium bodied. Lots of lingering stickiness still gives way to a drying sensation on the back of the palate. I'd reckon it's a little harsh for 9.4%, otherwise I have no real complaints about the mouthfeel.

O: This was probably my favorite beer of the day. I'd definitely buy it again, even with its price point. (920 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a solid black with a thinnish tan head that musters but then recedes. Smells of roast, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, light bourbon and oak with hints of dark fruit. The flavor is sweet with a roasty earthy edge. some chocolate but more roast and coffee coming through with a solid shot of bourbon flavor. Light vanilla and wood with a smattering of dark fruits to round it all out. Medium to thick body with a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. Wow this is a damn fine brew! The barrel thins the body a bit which I like because the regular version is thick and sticky. Very Nice brew. (618 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I believe this is a bottle from 2009.

Oily thick. Tan head.

Huge nose of stone fruits. Rye whiskey comes off on the nose.

Silky smooth. Huge mouthfeel. The whiskey and oak comes off beautifully. Great bitterness feel. I'm not sure I have had a bigger Russian imperial stout.

Wonderful. (291 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

The first 3 things I noticed were the very dark color, the almost non-existing head, and the intense smell of the whiskey barrel this beer is aged in. The beer is full-bodied and strong (9.4% alc) but is actually quite smooth. I expected from the look and smell for it to be a bit more bitter and would probably preferred it to be. However, it was nice to drink a strong stout without feeling like it was trying to bowl you over.

Overall, a very nice stout. (459 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

600ml bottle served in a snifter.

A: Pours a deep brown to black color forming a small thin tan head which dissipates quite quickly leaving only few spotty lacings

S: Great nose. Very woody and whiskey. Intense roasted malts. Dark chocolate. Notes of caramel and caramel malts. Molasses. Light notes of alcohol in the very end

T: Sweet roasted malts upfront. Intense wood flavors. Dark chocolate, coffee beans, brown bread. Toffee, molasses, caramel and caramel malts. Hoppy but mainly roasted bitter end

M: Heavy creamy and molasses body. Low carbonation. Woody, sweet, bitter and roasted aftertaste

O: Great drinkability. Excellent imperial stout. Recommend (664 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22oz Bottle, 55 Degrees, Snifter.

A: Black, nice dark mocha head, sticky thin lacing during the drinking....

S: Wow. Coffee, woody, sweet...

T: Butterscotch, whisky, vanilla, delicious....

M: sticky, full, velvety, very enjoyable.

Nice find! will buy up the remaining 2 tomorrow. (284 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Jet Black. Certainly has the 'Motor Oil' look. Small bit of mocha colored head around rim. Thick and Frothy.

S - HUGE chocolate & carmel and whiskey. Wow does that smell excellent. That puts a smile on my face. Vanilla and oatmeal come thru next. Great sweetness.

T - Awesome chocolate whiskey. Carmel. Sweet initially, bitter finish. A taste that lingers for minutes after tasting.

M - Exactly the velvety thickness you hope for. flavor combine superbly.

O - Excellent. One of the best Stouts i've tasted to date. (525 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A.Poors like motor oil with a copper head.

S.The whiskey carry's a similar scent to a bourbon. Strong alcohol with grinded coffee and chocolate.

T.Sweeter than you would expect. Milk, coco, coffee, and a strong whiskey burn at the end.

M.Real smooth, not too thick not too thin.

Overall this is a top ten stout. Unlike this unique beer most whiskey aged stouts are terrible. (381 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

No bottle date, assume 2ish years old.

A: Extremely dark brown pour with a big, dense medium brown head. Slowly fading head with top-notch retention. Only marginal lacing left behind, just splotches here and there.

S: Lots of bourbon. Burnt sugars, caramel and some coconut. A bit of oak and vanilla too. Quite a bit of vanilla in fact. Creamy and sweet roasted malt follows it up but is mostly hiding. Some chocolate and a little char I'd say. Maybe some anise too. Wonderful aroma.

T: Bourbon heavy up front, similar to the aroma. Toffee with burnt sugars and caramel primarily. Distinctive oak covers everything. Smooth, creamy and mellow chocolate and char in the middle, with hints of espresso. A bit of coconut in the finish with more oak and vanilla. Lingering oakiness between sips.

M: Heavy, bourbon cuts it nicely. Has a little bit of a drying aftertaste but not bad. Bourbon is fairly sharp even with a bit of age on it, but also not too bad.

O: Really tasty bourbon barrel RIS. I just had regular BORIS the other day (same age) and honestly I'm not sure which one I like better. This one had a much better aroma but I feel like the bourbon overpowers the really delicious base beer a little too much. But at the same time it does add additional complexity and the whole thing is fairly well balanced. Tough call. I think my overall score ends up pretty close. They're both great but surprisingly different. (1,426 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Nose: Milk chocolate, hint of bananas, coffee grounds, but soy sauce dominates. Palate: Coconut shavings, chocolate cream, coffee on the attack. Seamless transition to the mid-palate where more creamy chocolate features then gives way to coconut cream, coffee, and bitter ashes on the finish.

Good length and integration on the palate. Creamy and tasty palate with good stout character, minus the excessive ashtray action. Delicious. (435 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Had the regular many times and now it's time to try the BA version!

Pours out like motor oil; completely pitch, black with no head, just a little bit of a dark tan ring around the top.

The aroma has a ton of dark roasted malt, dark coffee and dark chocolate, just like in the regular B.O.R.I.S., but with the addition of a lot of vanilla and oak notes as well as prominent dark fruit notes like figs, raisins, plums and a subtle amount of cherry.

The taste follows the aroma perfectly and has huge amounts of dark coffee and chocolate along with a ton of dark, almost burnt malt notes. The vanilla is pretty prominent and adds some much needed sweetness for all the bitter notes. There is some decent oak notes and it finishes with tons of dark fruits like figs, plums and cherries.

The body is full and the mouthfeel is extremely creamy and silky. You can not only smell the booze, but also taste it and feel it going down. Not bad for the style, but at 9.4% ABV I feel like it could be hidden much better.

A great beer that's worth buying every once in awhile just because of the slightly high price. (1,111 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured out as a very dark and very thick looking black color. The head was a deep brown color that had a minimal retention to it. There wasn't much in the way of lacing on the glass at all on this beer. The smell of it had some bit roasted notes along with a powerful whiskey aroma from the barrels they used. The taste of the beer packs a punch of heavy sweet roasted grains mixed with a whiskey essence to add a little depth. It's smokey at some levels as well as bitter too. It's got a lot of good qualities when it comes to the flavor of it. The mouthfeel is really good, it's exactly how it should be. It's thick, oily, and lightly caronated. Overall it's a big beer to take down but I found it to be very enjoyable. (726 characters)

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery