Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE
Reviews: 579 | Hads: 2,223
3.95/5  rDev -7.1%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a very dark black. There is little carbonation, a small medium tan head rises for a second but is gone right away.

The aroma is pretty light. It starts off pretty sweet with a little chocolate and some vanilla. Its pretty one note.

The taste brings a little more complexity to the table, but not at on. It starts out midly sweet with some vanilla presenting itself the strongest. In the middle you get lots of wood and a slight alcohol finish. There is also a lot of whiskey from start to finish, its a nice touch.

The feel is ok, its a little too light for me. It has a slight warmness to it but not much of a finish.

Overall, this is a decent stout. The barrel aged is better than the regular BORIS, but its still nothing outstanding to track down. (826 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

First impressions on the BA Boris: an absurdly smooth beer. The taste and texture evoke a frothy mocha-like experience. Nice caramel and vanilla notes but finishes medium-dry with more coffee-malt. This isn't my favorite RIS but it's absolutely worth tracking down and experiencing. I also don't doubt that this would make an incredible beer float. (348 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours from a 22oz bottle into a large snifter a pitch black color (or lack thereof) with a somewhat fizzy type, bourbon colored head with a touch of lacing. The head receded rather abruptly and remains a swirling, Kharybdis-like whirlpool in the middle with some foamy rings around the edges.

Aroma is very very nice. Loads of bourbon without being too bourbony. A great deal of vanilla as well. Oaky woodiness appears as well as the large bit of roastiness. Slight bit of raw cocoa and some raisin like qualities as well.

Super solid flavor. Great bourbon and vanilla flavors balance and compliment each other very nicely. A hefty dose of hop bitterness keeps the sweetness in check on this one. Chocolate and coffee are less evident in the flavor as the bourbon and oakiness seem to be the star here.

A little light bodied and somewhat fizzy for the style. Coats the tongue and teeth nicely, though. This is one great beer and is very easy to drink. Drinks like a 6% beer, and that is dangerous.

Thanks a bunch to ncsincere for this beauty. (1,048 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Black in color with cinnamon colored head. Head is short lived with no lacing, leaving behind a glass of thick black liquid.

No mistaking the whiskey in the nose. It's the dominant scent from start to finish. It smells like hot booze. Roasted malt and vanilla are an afterthought.

Same with the taste. This is a very good barrel aged stout, but it's a little rough and unrefined. The roasted malt, vanilla, and chocolate do better showing up in the taste than in the nose, but I still struggle to get past the whiskey. While some barrel aged stouts have nice mellow bouquets of vanilla and charred oak from the aging, this one is abrasive.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, with little carbonation. Finish is very, very dry.

Due to the coarseness and overwhelming presence of whiskey, this one takes a major hit from me in drinkability. I know it's not a long time, but this one sat for about 7 months before opening and it didn't seem to mellow it much. (959 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

Served in nonic

Pours dark black with little head and no lacing

Smell is of dark fruit, whiskey, chocolate, and alcohol

Taste is white chocolate with some tart dark fruits and a prominent alcohol presence. Very intense flavor. Lots of sweet and bitter tastes

Feel is very smooth on this

Not a very drinkable beer. Lots of intense flavoring but one of the few beers that I've had a hard time putting down. (410 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +1.2%

The beer pours a pitch black color with a thick frothy brown head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a mild barrel aroma. The patent and chocolate malts dominate. It's warm and bitter with a nice oatmeal smoothness. The taste is very nice. It has a bitter black malt character that is complimented with a bit of chocolate malt sweetness. The barrel contribution is much more pronounced in the taste. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn good RIS. The original is good. This one is a little more complex. (576 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -9.4%

Procured this in a trade with hopsleeroy. Thanks Lee!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Looks exactly the same as regular B.O.R.I.S. (which Zach and I sampled right before this): opaque black, oily, thick, essentially no head. I'd love to see some head on this beer, but there's just none to be found. No lacing either.

Smell: When cold, the whiskey dominates. When warm, the whiskey dominates. Regular B.O.R.I.S. had a lot of complexity to it, but it was very mild. That complexity is totally overshadowed here. I can't get anything besides whiskey. I like the aroma, but it's far too plain.

Taste: When cold, the whiskey dominates. When warm, the whiskey dominates. Unlike the smell, however, there are some other flavors that emerge once the beer warms up. Specifically, I get roasted barley, caramel/molasses, and dark chocolate. Whereas regular B.O.R.I.S. had a gamut of subtle and interesting flavors, Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. has lots of whiskey and hints of general R.I.S. flavors. I greatly prefer regular B.O.R.I.S.

Mouthfeel: Full, very lightly carbonated, and dry. Essentially the same as regular B.O.R.I.S., but with an extra dry finish. Lots of mouth-numbing and pretty solid mouth-coating.

Drinkability: While this was a very cool experience (regular B.O.R.I.S. followed by Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.), I much prefer the complexity of regular B.O.R.I.S. Not that there's too much whiskey in this one; there just aren't enough other flavors/aromas that can hang with it. (1,496 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A - THICK. Very dark, only the faintest ruby highlights when held up to the light. Not much head but what's there has a somewhere between Coca-Cola foam and the bubbles blown in chocolate milk. Plenty of lacing considering how little initial head there was.

S - Oak and vanilla bourbon. A very sweet and tempting aroma. It smells exactly like you would expect a barrel aged beer to smell like.

T - The flavor is very similar to the aroma, but the vanilla is less pronounced. As it warms the oaky bourbon alcohol is almost harsh.

M - Lighter than I expected from the aroma and appearance. The beer hits the tongue and goes down the throat like silk, but could use a bit more body.

D - Something I would buy again. This is a very well executed beer. I very good Russian Imperial Stout, but not the greatest. (850 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Aroma - Vanilla, bourbon, and roasted malts make up a fine aroma profile

Appearance - Poured a dark dark brown with a thin brown head that settled down to a collar.

Taste - Coffee upfront with a light bitterness and barrel wood notes. An slight alcohol bite that was still drinkable. A smooth roasty RIS that was probably smoothed out a little thanks to the barrel aging.

Notes - A thinner mouthfeel than I would have liked. This is a good sipping beer. Unfortunately I have yet to try the non-barrel aged version. (517 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -24.2%

Chilled bomber into a glass. I can't for the life of me remember who sent this. Whoever you are, please BM me so I can give you credit. I should track my trades better. What I do remember is that it cost about $17 in trade (shows you where my priorities are, heh).

Anyway, I appreciate having the chance to try this.

A: Pours an opaque black body with a short-lived mocha head. The bubbles vanish into nothing; the beer looks completely still and leaves no lacing down the sides.

S: Lots. Of. Whiskey. I'm one of those guys that likes a little more balance; the base beer should hold up well against the barrel. It smells like the barrel won, here. I still get the base beer, with a rummy sweetness, chocolate, roasted malt, and molasses.

T: See above. Whiskey starts the taste, and it nearly pushes the beer into being over-sweet; with the molasses, chocolate, vanilla, and some raisins, I'm a little taken aback with how saccharine it is. The finish tips it slightly toward balance by bringing in some oaky astringency and coffee, but it's fighting a losing slide into sweetness. Which is what you'd expect from the style, admittedly -- but it doesn't stand far above the middle.

M: Very smooth and creamy, and I'm reminded that this is the oatmeal contribution. Low-carbed, but it goes down with a velvety presence. A small booziness. Quite nice.

D: Independent of price, this isn't in the upper-tier of barrel-aged imperial stouts. At $17 a pop I'm just going to ignore it. (1,489 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

A- Pours a deep black color with a thin but creamy beige head that leaves some decent lace.

S- Huge whiff of bourbon and bittersweet chocolate.

T- A quick blast of alcohol (this one is still pretty young) and bitter dark chocolate flavor dominates the taste initially. A nice touch of bourbon and vanilla bean become more pronounced as this brew warms.

M- Full bodied with a silky mouthfeel. Easy carbonation, just enough to know its there.

D- Full flavored brew with a tremendous nose. A bit boozy to drink often. (520 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle courtesy of mikesgroove and opened up at Pliny the Younger release day (2/5/10).

A: The pour is a thick and black with no head to speak of.

S: A great nose on this beer. A fair amount of whiskey, but nice notes of vanilla, graham cracker, chocolate, roasted malt and molasses. All things I enjoy smelling in a -bal aged stout.

T: While the nose was quite good, the flavor is only "good". Milk chocolate and whiskey are the first two flavors I pick up, followed by some vanilla and char.

M: I really enjoyed the creamy, viscous texture this beer has on the tongue. While there's not much in carbonation, the beer avoids being too syrupy.

D: Certainly not a beer to sit down and drink a bomber of, but always an enjoyable experience, but perhaps a touch too sweet. (774 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%

22oz bomber with a gold cap into a snifter

A: Pours a pitch black and thick like motor oil with no head and minimal bubbles coming up from the dark depths. Obviously no lacing. Hoping this hasn't gone flat.

S: The aromas are heavenly. Lots of vanilla, chocolate, and that charred barrel smell.

T: The taste is full of cocoa, vanilla, molasses, and a slight charcoal flavor. Very much like KBS but with more vanilla.

M: The feel is thick and oily with little carbonation. I would like to see a bit more carbonation but I think it helps the flavors come forward.

D: For a 9.4% beer this goes down smooth. I could drink this every week although I may reach for BCS a bit more often.

Not sure which batch this is since I've read that the first two batches had the Gold cap but it's excellent stuff. Price point is a bit steep though. (836 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +1.6%

I poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a snifter, It is jet black with a thin tan head that leaves really quick. The nose is strong bourbon with hints of vanilla and oak. The flavor has a big kick of bourbon, with vanilla and hops rounding off the edges. The finish lingers with some hot sweet booze. Even though the flavor is boozey the alcohol is not overpowering. A great sipping beer. Even though it is pricey it is worth trying. (431 characters)

4.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pours a murky black body with a tan sexy head! I love the look of a stout like this.

immediately smells of cococa, coffee, and whiskey fill the air.

the taste is hot with tastes ala the smell. I will say however the whiskey is def there and more notable than any other BA brew ive had before!

Very drinkable for the ABV but this brew puts a hurt on ones wallet at 18 bucks.

Overall a very good beer but I'll let my other bottle sit for a while.

NOTE: the day after I had a terrible headache. This was the ONLY beer I had consumed that night! (550 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +2.8%

Thank you to my boy FishGetter for grabbing this brew for me. I've been waiting to try this for some time now. Served this at cellar temperature, in a snifter, from a twenty-two ounce brown bottle.

Appearance: BA B.O.R.I.S. pours out the deepest, darkest black I think I've seen in a beer. No light could possibly penetrate this beer. A rather vigorous pourresulted in about two fingers of dark brown, soapy head. Head faded somewhat quickly, into a short cap of foam atop the beer. Some thickish lacing was left behing on my glass.

Smell: Smooth nose on this brew.Definitely some whiskey aromas in there, as well as some sweet smelling buttery oak notes. Strong chocolate and coffee aromas are present. Plenty of smokey roasted malt. Bits of toffee, caramel, and flaked oats deep in the background. Strong, assertive aromas. Hope this tastes as good as it smells.

Taste: As good as it smells, just a bit better! Again, some big buttery oak, with some quick blasts of whiskey. Whiskey isn't overwhelming, and compliments the other flavors nicely. Just the slightest bit hoppy, with plenty of roasted malt. More of the toffee and caramel noted in the nose. great balanced flavors. Finishes with some chocolate, a touch of coffee, and a warm hint of booze. Boy is this good!

Mouthfeel: Big heavy body that is smooth a silk. Perfect lower level of carbonation. Chewy and viscous.

Drinkability: Great drinkability. Big flavors and alcohol catch up to the palate though. Overall a great beer! (1,493 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours pitch black and syrupy with no head, but swirling reveals nice legs and viscosity.

The aroma is sweet and heavy on the whiskey barrel, with a backbone of turbinado sugar, caramel, milk chocolate, licorice, molasses and blackberry preserves.

Sweet and chocolatey on the tongue. Milky, creamy, big whiskey-barrel sweetness, subtle licorice. Oily and full-bodied with low carbonation. Sweet and slightly burnt finish, with lingering flavors of whiskey and bittersweet chocolate. Very good. (494 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -3.8%

I aged this is my "cellar" for a little while. My "cellar" is my closet, but it does its job. Poured an almost deep black into a tulip glass with an orange-brown hued head which disappears as fast as it forms. Barely any lacing.

The smell is the best part of this beer. It's all over the map with hints of chocolate covered cat urine [it's a good hoppy thing], red wine, molasses, and, of course, fine whiskey.

Sweet cherries is the first thing I find myself tasting. It works great because that is what makes a nice Manhattan. Some sweet dark fruits with a nice oak character. Bitter oats and a slight hop bite follow, balancing this Imperial Stout nicely.

The bit of carbonation tickles the tongue just enough. While the alcohol is present it doesn't overpower, making this a scary beer because I probably could drink a couple just before I hit the floor. Chewy coffee doesn't kick in until just past room temperature, but it is welcome and satisfying.

Overall, it is smooth and toasty and I have to admit that while I have never had the regular B.O.R.I.S, I might not want to. (1,083 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%

A slightly cooled 22oz bomber into a large-bowled tulip.

Pours with a dark fizzy cola-looking head that sizzles down to a bubbly thin layer that then quickly disappears with only a thin collar left. No lace. Deep blackish-brown body looks appealing.

Smells pretty much as I would have expected it to for the style - a very nice balance of bourbon on the nose, filled and rounded with deeply toasted malt, sweet caramelly maple syrup, hints of chocolate, leather, and fudge sundae.

Taste is fantastic, starting off full and malty with rich chocolate made more dynamic by the brighter bourbon flavors of vanilla, oak, and, well, bourbon. Thins out though, immensely toward the finish, and kind of cleans up unexpectedly. Bourbon seems to cut the oatmeal stout character and hollow it out some in the finish, with notes of bourbon and weak dark malts. A nice balance lingering in aftertaste though. Overall, very full and even, especially for the style.

Feel is okay, starts off rich and smooth, like an oatmeal stout should, thinning a little, then evening out, with a mildly clingy film lingering.

Overall drinkability is very nice. Alcohol is very appropriate, not obtrusive, and yet standing firm. It's debatable in my mind if the bourbon really helps this beer. Barrel aged BORIS is indeed fantastic, but somehow loses just a bit of its original excellence when cut with the bourbon flavor. However, it's very nicely balanced, rendering a bourbon aged heavy stout that drinks with remarkable ease. (1,505 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A-pours a thick dark brown looking liquid that lets virtually no light through. the head is a bubbly deep mohogany color with a low amount of retention leaving an ok bit of lace.

S-the nose is delicious but not huge. if it were bigger it would be fantastic! the aromas bring vanilla, molasses, chocolate cake, and notes of whiskey taking over.

T-the taste follows the nose, it brings a lot of dark chocolate, chocolate cake batter, and hints of vanilla and mollases. some sweet dark fruits are present and set in next, fig and plum. then the whiskey barrels take over. the bourbon and oak take over the senses and let you know they are there. mostly the taste of the whiskey, but the oak is still present.

M-this is very full bodied, extremely smooth and creamy, almost chewy, and brings a fair ammount of carbonation. it is slightly slick on the back of the throat.

D-this was a very interesting stout and well blended. the complexity was strong and the flavors blended quite harmoniously. i could enjoy this quite frequently, if it wasn't so darn expensive! (1,064 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a deep black color stout with a small foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of light vanilla and bourbon notes thought not as dominated as expected with some roasted malt with some black chocolate. Taste is lighter then expected with light bourbon with some distinct vanilla notes and light roasted malt with some subtle black chocolate. Body has an oily texture with medium carbonation and no alcohol was discernible. Kind of disappointing and not sure the barrel-aging brought anything more to this one. (537 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +6.6%

Review # 300. Cheers, BA community... This one's for you!

I have not had regular B.O.R.I.S.... but it's all good.

22oz into tulip.

A- Dark as all hell... brown beyond belief, bordering black but not quite there. Head is caramel brown, 5 fingers after an agressive pour.. very active and settling nicely. Great head formation. Settles to 1cm after 3-4 minutes, looks like an oatmeal cookie.

S- Whisky... indeed. Sweet, caramel and milk chocolate notes, although whisky takes the lead here.

T- Fantastic. Whisky is dominant but not overbearing... what's the phrase.. assertive but not pushy. Base is rich, malty, bitter chocolate with a hop spice that bites nicely. This is one of the best-tasting barrel beers I've had... the spirit is incorporated flawlessly.

M- Complex, tasty, a bit boozy, but it's oh-so-good. Thick, rich, and smooth, all things considered. Cannot get better.

D- High, ABV in mind. The price tag on this one makes it little more than a rare occasion beer. But it is fantastic. For some reason I thought this was an overhyped beer. No justification, just what I thought. Not so. This is one beer that is so wonderfully made and gained so much from the barrel that I'm floored.

Seek it, drink it, cherish it! (1,237 characters)

4.25/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a 25 cl snifter.

A: Rich and black completely blocking out the light. A tiny bit of brown head and lacing as it goes down. Very nice looking brew.

S: Bourbon notes dominate; vanilla, oak, and some light alcohol followed by raisins, figs and a hint of chocolate. Very dark, fruity nose as it warms but definitely has taken on the characteristics of a smooth sippin' bourbon.

M: Rich and creamy, exactly what I want in a stout of this magnitude. It's not disappointingly thin as some others that I've had high hopes for. Perfect carbonation with some bitterness for bite. Silky smooth all the way down with a nice dry finish.

T: The dominant coffee flavors caught me off guard, but this thing is a flavor animal. Vanilla, dark chocolate, and bourbon on the palate as it settles. It's oakey and chewy which really lets the flavors coat the palate. Aftertaste is of dark fruit and cherries.

O: Drinkability is obviously very low and if I had a friend here, I'd share in a heartbeat. However, I'm pretty glad this first try is all mine to savor. I'd definitely pick it up again and I've already got a few to age. A fantastic brew. Impresses more than the standard B.O.R.I.S. (1,200 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -8.2%

bottle courtesy of photomike

S: chocolate, vanilla, some light booze

A: Dark brn w/purple tinge. Minimal head

T: Same as smell but w/roastiness and booziness. Fruitiness gone, whiskey, Bitter burnt finish.

M: Medium. Not as smooth as regular BORIS

D: Drinkability is ok, but some boozey presence and not really smooth with the burntness, booze, and oak popping out in places.

Overall: tried next to regular BORIS, I preferred the regular version just a bit. (463 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle courtesy photomike. Tasted side-by-side with regular BORIS. Pours a thick pitch black with a nice brown head. Aroma is rather subdued compared to the non-barrel-aged beer. Mostly dark chocolate whereas BORIS is mainly rich milk chocolate. As per usual with Heaven Hill aged beer, the spirit influence is smooth as hell. Subdued notes of roast and ash, a bit of vanilla. Flavor is sweet whiskey, roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, a little earthiness. Rich and inky, very smooth, but I still like the original better. (526 characters)

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout from Hoppin' Frog Brewery