Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

District of Columbia

11-30-2013 22:04:52 | More by apasternak
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

Big thanks to a very generous sproser for the bottles.

Pours death black with a tan head that retains for about a minute and then leaves ok lacing from there out.

Nose is alot of roasted malt, a wine-like character and some chocolate.

Taste follows with huge roasted malt, some chocolate and definite whiskey booze presence. The finish has that signature slick giant oatmeal flavor, and roasted malt lingers with whiskey on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is super viscous, although still less than i expected, but pretty much where it should be in a beer like this. Madly slick on the finish, carbonation is medium where it should be.

Drinkability is ok, but this one is pretty heavy, and i can't see having more than one bomber alone.

Overall, a very pleasant, and well made barrel aged stout. I would like it to be a little bit more robust, but when you want that oatmeal action this one suffices for both that and that classic barrel aged awesomeness. A very nice beer. Overpriced like mad, but still quite good.

11-28-2009 07:34:50 | More by AKBelgianBeast
sideshowe

11-15-2011 13:50:43 | More by sideshowe
scott2269

08-30-2012 22:15:15 | More by scott2269
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

It took me a while to muster up the courage, but I finally did it: I opened my bottle of Barrel Aged BORIS. Seriously, this beer has such a huge presence that I was afraid to open it at times. Now that I’ve made the decision, though, I’m appropriately pumped. I love a good RIS, and whiskey’s my drink of choice apart from beer; add in the reputation that Hoppin’ Frog has for epic brews, and hopefully we’ve got a winner. Only one way to find out:

After a little research, I found out that the green cap on my bottle indicated that this was brewed in Batch 3; i.e., it had been on the shelves since the winter of 2009. Wow! Over a year-and-a-half have passed since the beer was bottled, so this palate has a little extra age on it. Wonderful.

A: Not surprisingly, this one pours a devastatingly solid black. It looks viscous and creamy. The head is a big, bold brown, so thick it could pass as whipped cream. A few minutes pass and it’s all gone, with only thin retention encircling the body, looking like a dark silk that has been stretched around the rim of the glass. Lacing is sparse, but that sort of adds to this beer’s heavy appearance, in the end. This is a good-looking brew, for sure.

S: This might just be the most alluring nose I’ve ever come across in a stout. Vanilla is one of the strongest scents, and it comes like a sugar wave across every single sniff. A chocolate syrup taste comes next, alongside whatever small roasts decide to show themselves. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout comes to mind instantly, as I feel the first few scents meld together to form the perfect s’more aroma. All those sweets aren’t without their balance, though – spicy, medicinal alcohol comes in to remind that this is a beer, not a candy soda. You can instantly tell that it’s a whiskey smell, too; the woody spice is so distinctive in this nose. I’d be surprised if I ever found another beer that smelled this awesome.

T: Exquisite. Upon first taste, that’s all I can really say. All the syrupy sweets that were present in the nose – vanilla, chocolate, mocha – overwhelm the senses. They get a strong push by some roasts underneath, which work to bring out the sweets even more via contrast. After the sugar rush totally subsides, the creamy breadiness that I love about oatmeal stouts takes over. The palate maintains those earthy, oaty flavors for the remainder of the drink, even as the whiskey approaches. Unfortunately, though, it’s really not a big whiskey flavor; unlike the nose, the alcohol here comes off as more syrupy than spiced, saving its heaviest flavors for the aftertaste. The finish is, of course, dominated by these big, alcoholic tastes that you can even feel in your nose; they’re so strong that your nostrils tingle like you just had a bite out of an onion. Some grains sneak up to calm the boozy beast, leaving me with a muted tinge of rubbing alcohol and chocolate. This palate is memorably delicious.

M: I’m glad to see that this beer doesn’t have a molasses-stickiness to it. It shouldn’t be a challenge to drink a few pints of a heavy stout, and I’m happy to say that Hoppin' Frog gets that. It’s thick, but still creamy and light – silky is a good word for it, I guess.

O: Hoppin’ Frog has my full attention now. This beer commands respect, and I’m happy to give it for a beer as flavorful and epically drinkable as this. With these guys added, the list of breweries I really want to explore further has grown to epic proportions. I’m ok with that, though; too much good beer is a problem I want to have.

08-10-2011 00:21:09 | More by BarryMFBurton
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Review # 300. Cheers, BA community... This one's for you!

I have not had regular B.O.R.I.S.... but it's all good.

22oz into tulip.

A- Dark as all hell... brown beyond belief, bordering black but not quite there. Head is caramel brown, 5 fingers after an agressive pour.. very active and settling nicely. Great head formation. Settles to 1cm after 3-4 minutes, looks like an oatmeal cookie.

S- Whisky... indeed. Sweet, caramel and milk chocolate notes, although whisky takes the lead here.

T- Fantastic. Whisky is dominant but not overbearing... what's the phrase.. assertive but not pushy. Base is rich, malty, bitter chocolate with a hop spice that bites nicely. This is one of the best-tasting barrel beers I've had... the spirit is incorporated flawlessly.

M- Complex, tasty, a bit boozy, but it's oh-so-good. Thick, rich, and smooth, all things considered. Cannot get better.

D- High, ABV in mind. The price tag on this one makes it little more than a rare occasion beer. But it is fantastic. For some reason I thought this was an overhyped beer. No justification, just what I thought. Not so. This is one beer that is so wonderfully made and gained so much from the barrel that I'm floored.

Seek it, drink it, cherish it!

01-16-2010 01:08:24 | More by ShogoKawada

12-14-2013 03:16:24 | More by BarrytheBear
SFLpunk

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks to George for grabbing this at Julio's for me! 22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. Gold/brass colored cap. No date.

A rough pour turns up .5 inch of dark tan creamy head. Nose is full of charred wood notes, molasses and coffee bean aromas. Palate is big and boozey right off the bat with a faint banana-yeast note way in the background. Flavors are of black coffee, dark maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, brown sugar and a hint of raw honey. Maybe a little dried dates too. Finish is drying and fruity.

Notes: A damn fine beer, although somewhat pricey (~$20). My first Hoppin' Frog experience. Looking forward to the D.O.R.I.S. too!

04-01-2011 04:11:32 | More by SFLpunk

03-31-2013 21:13:14 | More by lovindahops
doughanson78

Washington

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Super black pour. Dark as night in the glass. Big two and a half finger creamy dark mocha head with good retention and lacing.

S: Dark fruits, figs, raisins, roasted coffee, and ashy tobacco aromas. Bourbon is pretty light. Oak comes through subtlety but nice.

T: Big dark chocolate upfront. Roasted malts and coffee in the middle. Light coffee bitterness. Finishes with touches of bourbon, butterscotch, vanilla, and dark fruits. Alcohol is hidden well.

M: Full body edging on the light side. Super creamy. Medium carbonation.

O: Better then regular BORIS. Not as hot. Pretty drinkable for over 9%. Well done beer.

01-05-2012 04:07:44 | More by doughanson78
ThreeWiseMen

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Procured this in a trade with hopsleeroy. Thanks Lee!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Looks exactly the same as regular B.O.R.I.S. (which Zach and I sampled right before this): opaque black, oily, thick, essentially no head. I'd love to see some head on this beer, but there's just none to be found. No lacing either.

Smell: When cold, the whiskey dominates. When warm, the whiskey dominates. Regular B.O.R.I.S. had a lot of complexity to it, but it was very mild. That complexity is totally overshadowed here. I can't get anything besides whiskey. I like the aroma, but it's far too plain.

Taste: When cold, the whiskey dominates. When warm, the whiskey dominates. Unlike the smell, however, there are some other flavors that emerge once the beer warms up. Specifically, I get roasted barley, caramel/molasses, and dark chocolate. Whereas regular B.O.R.I.S. had a gamut of subtle and interesting flavors, Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. has lots of whiskey and hints of general R.I.S. flavors. I greatly prefer regular B.O.R.I.S.

Mouthfeel: Full, very lightly carbonated, and dry. Essentially the same as regular B.O.R.I.S., but with an extra dry finish. Lots of mouth-numbing and pretty solid mouth-coating.

Drinkability: While this was a very cool experience (regular B.O.R.I.S. followed by Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.), I much prefer the complexity of regular B.O.R.I.S. Not that there's too much whiskey in this one; there just aren't enough other flavors/aromas that can hang with it.

02-20-2010 05:01:44 | More by ThreeWiseMen
VonZipper

04-27-2012 02:11:09 | More by VonZipper
Zimm

12-11-2013 00:51:59 | More by Zimm
cfrances33

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Gold capped bottle, but doubtfully from the batches listed above. Assuming sometime in 2011. Poured into a Hoppin Frog snifter on 822/12

Pour: Pitch black il with a half finger of khaki head. Recedes to a rim.

Smell: Bourbon, coffee, chocolate. Some vanilla and some roastiness in there too,

Taste: Bourbon/whiskey vanilla up front that hit especially hard on the first few sips. A nice mocha coffee backdrop that takes over from the booze as it warms. Halfway through my glass, I feel like I am drinking an alcoholic Starbucks iced mocha. This thing is rich. Light booze and serious brownie sit on the back of my palate.

Mouthfeel: Holy heavy. Too heavy for me even (or a least for what I was hoping for tonight). Not too much burn, but what burn there is, I would say is not a pleasant warming, but more of a straight whiskey burn.

Overall: I like it... but the jury is still out. No matter what happens, there are and will be many BB stouts I prefer, but I will definitely try this beer again in the future.

08-23-2012 01:39:29 | More by cfrances33