Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial StoutBarrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.40% ABV

English-style Imperial Stout aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels.

Batch 1- 2009(April) GOLD cap
Batch 2- 2009(July) GOLD
Batch 3- 2009(Oct) GREEN
Batch 4- 2010 BLACK
Batch 5- 2011 RED
Batch 6- 2012 WHITE

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 02-02-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
cfrances33

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Gold capped bottle, but doubtfully from the batches listed above. Assuming sometime in 2011. Poured into a Hoppin Frog snifter on 822/12

Pour: Pitch black il with a half finger of khaki head. Recedes to a rim.

Smell: Bourbon, coffee, chocolate. Some vanilla and some roastiness in there too,

Taste: Bourbon/whiskey vanilla up front that hit especially hard on the first few sips. A nice mocha coffee backdrop that takes over from the booze as it warms. Halfway through my glass, I feel like I am drinking an alcoholic Starbucks iced mocha. This thing is rich. Light booze and serious brownie sit on the back of my palate.

Mouthfeel: Holy heavy. Too heavy for me even (or a least for what I was hoping for tonight). Not too much burn, but what burn there is, I would say is not a pleasant warming, but more of a straight whiskey burn.

Overall: I like it... but the jury is still out. No matter what happens, there are and will be many BB stouts I prefer, but I will definitely try this beer again in the future.

08-23-2012 01:39:29 | More by cfrances33
ThreeWiseMen

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Procured this in a trade with hopsleeroy. Thanks Lee!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Looks exactly the same as regular B.O.R.I.S. (which Zach and I sampled right before this): opaque black, oily, thick, essentially no head. I'd love to see some head on this beer, but there's just none to be found. No lacing either.

Smell: When cold, the whiskey dominates. When warm, the whiskey dominates. Regular B.O.R.I.S. had a lot of complexity to it, but it was very mild. That complexity is totally overshadowed here. I can't get anything besides whiskey. I like the aroma, but it's far too plain.

Taste: When cold, the whiskey dominates. When warm, the whiskey dominates. Unlike the smell, however, there are some other flavors that emerge once the beer warms up. Specifically, I get roasted barley, caramel/molasses, and dark chocolate. Whereas regular B.O.R.I.S. had a gamut of subtle and interesting flavors, Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S. has lots of whiskey and hints of general R.I.S. flavors. I greatly prefer regular B.O.R.I.S.

Mouthfeel: Full, very lightly carbonated, and dry. Essentially the same as regular B.O.R.I.S., but with an extra dry finish. Lots of mouth-numbing and pretty solid mouth-coating.

Drinkability: While this was a very cool experience (regular B.O.R.I.S. followed by Barrel Aged B.O.R.I.S.), I much prefer the complexity of regular B.O.R.I.S. Not that there's too much whiskey in this one; there just aren't enough other flavors/aromas that can hang with it.

02-20-2010 05:01:44 | More by ThreeWiseMen

sbricker

11-14-2011 18:18:20 | More by sbricker
57md

4.23/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is almost pitch black with a half finger of tan head. The nose has roasted notes, but also some sherry to it. This offering is full-bodied, but not as overwhelming as D.O.R.I.S., which I had over a year ago.

The roasted bitterness grows on the finish and there is also a touch of bourbon present. All the flavors seem to blend together nicely.

05-08-2013 05:04:32 | More by 57md
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

07-15-2013 16:45:29 | More by ViveLaChouffe
KeefD

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

A forum post about this beer reminded me that I never entered my tasting notes on this one from a few weeks ago. Shared with friends at a great impy stout tasting. This one was in my top 3 of the night. Review from notes:

A: Dark brown, ruby edges, no head or lacing, nice legs though.

S: Wow! Powerful bourbon aroma right off the top, chocolate, char, light coffee notes. Bourbon and chocolate perfectly integrated. Nice caramel comes out as it warms, bourbon fades. One of the best smelling RIS's ever.

T: Chocolaty, roasty. Good bourbon, light oak, dry finish. Very smooth and easy to drink. Bourbon not overwhelming.

M: A little thin, medium bodied, would like more viscosity. Light carb.

D: Relatively easy to drink. Bourbon is great, well balanced.

03-12-2010 01:57:03 | More by KeefD

10-21-2013 18:12:47 | More by Rand_ale_Thor
colts9016

Idaho

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Since it is Christmas Eve, I will pull something out of the cellar to enjoy while I wait for the bearded fat man to show up.This beer has the green cap and has been in my cellar for a while. Poured into a pint glass at 50 degree.

Appearance: A one finger head that is dark brown and is foamy, creamy, and soft. The head has fair retention and so far has not left any lacing on the glass. The color of the beer is dark brown, like burnt motor oil. The clarity is opaque, frankly look like the black hole. This beer looks great a typical RIS.

Nose: A very rich, dark, deep, complex roast on the malt with caramel, burnt, chocolate, toasty and biscuit notes. The barrel age on the beer gives a solvent like aroma with vanilla, oak, phenols, and a sweetness. Other aromas include floral, citrus, raisins, coffee, yeast, and anise.

Taste: The flavors in the beer start with the deep complex roast on the malt with caramel, burnt, chocolate, toasty, and biscuit notes. Other flavors include floral, citrus, vanilla, pine, phenols, solvents, espresso, raisins and yeast. Subtle hints of anise, molasses, and oatmeal.

The mouth feel of the beer is astringent, coating, warming, and chewy.

Overall: The body of the beer is thick and rich, and the finish is full. This is the reason why I love Russian Imperial Stouts the flavors are complex, rich, and very flavorful. This beer near perfect in flavor. I really cannot find much wrong with the beer, the only thing that I would have like to seen was a further refinement in the flavor. I am being picky and should have left it in the cellar; nonetheless, it is a very good beer and should not be over looked.

12-25-2011 04:46:45 | More by colts9016
biggred1

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Darkest brown with a super creamy fudge colored head that melts slowly to a mocha skim and leaves sheets of tan lace on the glass. The aroma of roasted dark malt, anise and toasted bourbon barrel is really nice, I could smell this beer for hours but..on the the drink. Molten fudge, rum soaked raisin, molasses, cocoa, freshly roasted coffee and a fairly heavy handed hop dosage that struggles to get through. As the beer warms slightly, the flavors grow more complex with mascerated dark fruity and nutty flavors blending perfectly with toasted oak. Rich and full bodied with an especially velvety smoothness. This is a truly decadent stout and is the best beer I've had from the Frog (no DORIS yet). A world class stout.

07-13-2010 02:42:04 | More by biggred1
zoso1967

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to TCGoalie for sharing this brew at our tasting. This review is written from a group audio review that also included BuckyFresh and TCHopCraver.

BA B.O.R.I.S. poured your typical imperial stout deep dark brown. It seemed quit opaque and while it lacked much of a head, when swirled it had a pretty amazing mocha brown head.

The smell was AMAZING. This was probably one of the best smelling BA stouts I have ever sniffed. Plenty of bourbon whiskey notes, loads of vanilla, dark cocoa, oak, coffee and burnt wood. I realize an aroma cannot be creamy, but more than one person described it as being just that.

The taste did not disappoint either as we were treated to a taste sensation of rich dark cocoa, coffee, caramel, burnt wood, bourbon, vanilla, oak and some toasted marshmallow. The spirit flavors were a bit more muted in the flavor, which is something that I enjoyed.

The mouthfeel was also excellent with a medium body and a wonderful sweetness. The carbonation seems right on and the finish is well balanced with a nice amount of richness and char.

This has to be one of the most enjoyable BA stouts I have ever had. I think this bottle might have had some age on it (we could not find a date) which may have mellowed a bit of the whiskey and improved our ratings some. I have had normal Boris before and really liked it, so I guess it should not be a surprise that I enjoyed this one as well. I would definitely pick this one up if you find it on a shelf somewhere.

07-19-2011 12:17:21 | More by zoso1967
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +3%

22oz bottle, mid 2010 batch (black cap). Served at cellar temp.

Pours thick black with a one finger dark brown head that recedes to a wispy cap and good ring, leaves some nice spots of lacing behind.

Aroma is predominately whiskey but there is also some vanilla, chocolate, oak, coffee, dark roasted malt, some raisins & anise. Very good strength (particularly the whiskey).

Flavor is more balanced than the aroma, starts with a great chocolate component, very rich, good espresso/coffee notes, a nice layer of whiskey, vanilla, and oak, underneath there is some dark fruits and anise. Alcohol is there but well integrated for such a big beer. Fair sweetness too.

Mouthfeel is full and very creamy, I love the mouthfeel on an oatmeal stout! Low carbonation.

Man oh man is this good. I love BORIS and this is a great counterpart. While the whiskey overpowers the nose it meshes extremely well in the flavor. Rich and decadent, a treat!

01-11-2011 22:58:53 | More by elgiacomo
axeman9182

3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

22 oz bottle, allowed to warm some before being poured into my Brooklyn Brewer tulip.

Barrel Aged BORIS pours jet black, with about two fingers of mousse-like milk chocolate foam capping the beer. Head retention is decent, and some nice rings of lacing are left around the inside of the glass. The nose has an intense, roasty dark chocolate note, paired with a spicy whiskey aroma. It's nice, but there's not much to it. The flavor profile expands on this basic outline some. Intense dark chocolate opens things up, but here it's underlined with a hint of vanilla sweetness. The back end is still a lightly hot whiskey note, but now there's a subtle oaky component to it as well. The vanilla and oak are minor additions, but add some needed depth to the beer. The body has that signature silkiness I tend to get from oatmeal stouts, but I found myself wishing it was more rich and chewy. The carbonation does a nice job of staying in the background though, just enough there to keep the beer clear of becoming syrupy. Barrel Aged BORIS was my first Hoppin' Frog beer, and while I wasn't blown away, it proved to be a very solid stout. I'd definitely check out another beer from them in the future.

08-29-2012 05:32:24 | More by axeman9182
meathookjones

12-06-2013 17:50:37 | More by meathookjones
Magery

Kentucky

11-20-2011 21:16:47 | More by Magery
IBUnit63

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

22 into Portsmouth snifter...

Pours pretty typical for style...classic espresso body with a little bit of maple/peanut butter head. Maybe a little less retention than usual but reasonably solid.

Sure, there's a little bit of booze and vanilla in here, but the barrel quality is a little more austere having said that. A few more deep dark fruits...dates...than usual. Rich dark malts are absent of tannin at first blush.

Methinks this could use a bit of time...there's some very good cinnamon notes in there but it is a bit on the boozy side. Some piney hops do show up nicely to complement the rich chocolatey malt. Slight maple tones emerge.

On the palate it is much more dry and austere than expected and I like that a great deal. Rich malt character accompanies a hint of tannin emerging with warmth. Finish has a solid grain feel to it.

It's one to sip and savor undoubtedly but it's a very good one. One of the better BA offerings; it's not just a load of bourbon and vanilla. Nicely balanced and well-constructed.

08-02-2009 20:47:49 | More by IBUnit63

10-07-2012 02:02:58 | More by ucsbmullet
joepais

Maine

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

Spilt this bottle between two snifters. We were presented with a small tan head that disappeared to a wisp of lace. The body of the brew was a typical stout black with some burgundy highlights around the side of the glass from the barrel.

I got some vanilla and some roasted malts in the nose. I sat on this bottle so I didn't get to much booze coming off of this one. The flavor was good as well. There was enough roasted flavors and the bourbon barrel sweetness permeates this one. Yet the mouthfeel is a tad thin for a oatmeal brew. That did surprise me because the regular brew had more body to it.

The drinkability is fine I did enjoy every sip of the glass.
A good barrel aged stout I'd buy it again but a little pricy

10-24-2010 23:18:00 | More by joepais