Meaner Manalishi Double I.P.A. - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Meaner Manalishi Double I.P.A.
No picture uploaded.

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Double / Imperial IPA |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: Phillyduke on 07-01-2009)
Reviews by aanakinskywalker:
aanakinskywalker

05-22-2012 04:20:30 | More by aanakinskywalker
Kegatron

4.08/5  rDev -4%

I'm glad that someone else finally added this to the database, as I has bought this last March from Capone's but didn't have any other info on it. This was drank back in May. 22 oz bomber into an oversized tulip glass.

Pours a crystal clear amber, with almost 3 BIG fingers of foamy off-white head. This shrinks down into a creamy ½ finger that throws a massive frothy cascade of lace, which hangs in thick swathes. The aroma is DEEP with floral and herbal hop character, as well as a strong spiciness. Robust tropical fruits, bread, and caramel, give this a nicely evening tanginess to the nose. An undercurrent of warmth gives the whole thing a bit of oomph.

The taste is intensely hoppy, slathering the tongue with spice and pine, which lingers long and stiffly on the palate. This is quickly soothed by a deeply pungent mix of bready caramel and tropical fruit citrus. The backbone is so sweet, toasty, and tangy, that it reminds me a lot of an Imperial Red. The lingering bitterness of this is pretty intense, with a sticky resinous feel that just jams in the mouth before settling into a steady dryness. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a big and creamy (yet a bit prickly as well) carbonation. There is a ton of underlying slickness to this, as well as a beefier alcohol presence (I wish I knew what the ABV was). I'm mostly only feeling the warmth in the finish though, where it really adds to the aggressive bitterness in the finish.

There was definitely more hops and alcohol in this than the regular Mean Manalishi (which I really like, by the way) but I didn't feel like this absolutely detracted from this as a solid DIPA (or TIPA, or whatever they are calling these). The intense bitterness and heat just made things a little less well rounded. Still though, it's cool to see Hoppin' Frog doing a little more experimenting, even is this was pretty darn limited.

08-19-2009 14:35:23 | More by Kegatron
Deuane

3.8/5  rDev -10.6%

A-Deep, dark copper with a thick off-white head that slowly recedes and leaves a copious amount of sticky, lacing.

S-Huge amount of herbal and spicy hop character with a decent amount of caramel malt and alcohol heat.

T-BAM!-palate bashing hoppiness with a TON of spiciness and herbal notes. Barley noticed citrus sneaks in underneath. Caramel sweetness attempts to give a touch balance to the bitterness but it falls short. Alcohol heat in the background. This is all just a bit to over the top for me.

M-Medium-bodied, very sharp and crisp tongue with LONG lasting bitterness.

D-For this hophead this one goes a bit too far for me. Too up front and unbalanced for me without the hop qualities that I really enjoy. A nice attempt but comes up short. Mean Manalishi is a fine DIPA but the meaner version is well....just plain meaner---to your palate!

08-30-2009 11:12:56 | More by Deuane
Phillyduke

3.93/5  rDev -7.5%

This special one-off "super-charged" version of Mean Manalishi was bottled specially for Philly Beer Week '09 and brought to Capone's by head brewer Fred Karm himself. Labeling is identical to Mean Manalishi, but with different crowns. I don't believe this beer was ever made available for retail sale (hence the lack of unique labels).

A: 22oz. bomber served into a SA tasting glass. Beer is clear and a dark copper/burnt sienna color with a good deal of fine, active carbonation noticeable. Much darker than other DIPAs I've reviewed. It looks almost bock-ish. It's hoppy nature is revealed by a 2-finger head of pillowy tan foam that caps the glass, leaving gobs of sticky, soapy lacing as it slowly recedes.

S: Surprise! Nose up front is actually yeasty and quite malty. It then opens up to reveal a good deal of citrus and floral hops that signal a juicy sweet bitterness to come.

T: At first sip all I get is bitter, bitter, tongue-bashing hoppiness. Bitter up front, bitter on the palate, bitter in the aftertaste. Where's all that great citrus? Eventually things mellow out a bit (or my palate just acclimates itself...one or the other), and I start to pick up the sweetness of the darker malt base and a nice orange-y citrus quality--both of which give a touch balance to the bitterness while still remaining supporting players. Finish lingers awhile--you won't forget what you just drank.

M: Medium-bodied with a tight, crisp tongue-tingling carbonation that helps to accent the bitterness by leaving the tongue and roof of my mouth with a nice twinge on the aftertaste. ABV isn't excessive for a DIPA, and it's well-masked here.

D/O: This is definitely a hop-bomb--no doubts about that. Along the lines of a fresh Hop Wallop, but with even more, over-the-top bitterness. I personally prefer a little more malt balance and better presence from other hop qualities (citrus, floral, a touch of sweetness) in the big IIPA/DIPAs, so the near-insane bitterness of this one would probably limit me to one in a sitting if I ever had the chance again. My palate would fatigue before the ABV caught up with me, though, and I consider that a good thing. That being said, it's a very well made beer and interesting take on an already great Double IPA.

07-01-2009 23:58:28 | More by Phillyduke
Urbancaver

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%

Stopped by the brewery today to pick up some tastiness and got the chance to try this number. Fred hadn't tasted it with the age yet so we cracked a bottle and tested it out
Bottled in February so its aged a bit...

Appearance- A nice copper colour with a very crisp look.

Aroma- Light hints of spices and hops but actually quite underwhelming considering how packed with hops this this is. A certain crisp almost cider smell to it

Taste- The hops have faded into a nice mellow taste. Very flavourful but with a minimal bang compared to what I'm sure it must have been almost a year ago...

Mouthfeel- Amazingly smooth and crisp at the same time. The hops stuck with me literally hours later on the back of my throat...

Drinkabilit-: very easy drink. Especially compared to the other comments I'm ready. Not what I was looking for today but had I had more time/money I could definitely have downed a whole bottle myself!

Side note: Fred called this beer Extra Mean rather than Meaner because it is apparently the liquid left in the mash at the bottom of the fermenter after the majority of the batch had been bottled. Definitely a good idea on his part to bottle it too!

12-23-2009 04:06:00 | More by Urbancaver
Meaner Manalishi Double I.P.A. from Hoppin' Frog Brewery
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.