Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 08-30-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Richardberg

4.6/5  rDev +19.8%

A - poured into a tulip. Slightly hazy/fizzy amber, bordering on ruby. Not much head.

S - baked pumpkin pie. Easily the most authentic pumpkin smell this side of Southern Tier's Pumpking. This one's a little more roasty (vs smelling like a just-harvested pumpkin patch), and it bumps up the darker spices (clove/nutmeg, especially clove) to match, plus a smidge of sweetness to remind us it's all in good fun. Result: perfection.

T - just like the smell, unbelievably. The pumpkin pie replica continues unblemished from start to finish. No signs of an off-color aroma or aftertaste. If I had to criticize, I'd say it has a little too much allspice and/or cinnamon, but we're splitting hairs here. Another well-deserved (and rare) 5.

M - light to moderate body, decently slick, enough fizz to keep things moving.

D - let's not kid ourselves, it's a strongly flavored 8.4% beer. but please, don't let that stop you. if you like pumpkin beers in any form you must try this.

10-01-2010 03:50:42 | More by Richardberg
JoePat

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Beer pours a hazy amber orange with a small white head that dissipates almost immediately.

I get a lot of clove in the aroma but not over powering and almost ginger like. As the head dissipates more cinnamon comes out.

The flavor is not over spicy. The biggest flavor I get is cinnamon and it is just present in the beer like hops in a pilsner. I get a little clove and a nice caramel malt flavor.

The mouthfeel is smooth like a good pale ale just a little on the syrupy side.

Supprisingly drinkalbe for a 8.4% spiced beer. Nothing really over powering and a pretty good base beer.

09-29-2010 00:06:28 | More by JoePat
jsh420

3.38/5  rDev -12%

Pours cloudy amber orange with a 1/4 finger head that left no lacing

smell is almost non existent - very faint spice notes

taste is much better then the nose but i taste more xmas tree then pumpkin and I also taste mint - odd pumpkin ale but still good

mouthfeel is light with plenty of carbonation to give it a crisp bite

drinkability is ok but there are many other pumpkin ales I would rather have

09-26-2010 23:52:21 | More by jsh420
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

A solid Pumpkin Ale that took gold at 2010 GABF. For me, it's not quite the best, although a nice representation of the style. Where I think it misses is that is seems to try too hard. The carbonation is a bit much and cleans the pumpkin and other spices out a bit too soon. ABV makes it a great desert beer, after stuffing, turkey, turkey, stuffing and on and on...

Orange pour, clear and clean. Little froth on the head, little lacing.
Pumpkin and nutmeg are predominant. Sweet, light biscuit backbone, pumpkin seed. Some other spices in the nose and flavor.
For me there are some other pumpkin beers out there that take preference. Still, a solid beer that I would not turn away and will have again.

09-26-2010 21:12:41 | More by Mebuzzard
Beejay

2.98/5  rDev -22.4%

A: Pumpkin orange in color. There was some white head, but it disappeared very quickly. Crystal Clear, but no head after about a minute.

S: Sweet with cinnamon and nutmeg. Some caramel notes, but as the head disappears so does a lot of the scent.

T: Slightly spicy with nutmeg and cinnamon notes. A hint of sweetness, and some nice toasted notes in the finish. A bit boozy though.

M: Medium bodied with effervescent carbonation. The carbonation is a bit too much for the style, and for the body I think. The booze mixed with the carbonation makes an interesting, but not necessarily pleasant combination.

D: The taste is good, but not great. This one doesn't seem to hit the high standard I have come to expect from this brewery. It is by no means a failure, but it is far from amazing.

09-25-2010 03:43:27 | More by Beejay
betterbgood

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

this beer is very exciting at a nice abv around eight percent the smell matches its taste too me and the flavord are not spritzy a nice mellow not to deep pumpkin ale, just some good shit not too sweet, drinkability is great i love it. well balanced. no overpowering of the cinnamon and other spices. better than pumpking and dogfish heads.

09-25-2010 02:33:14 | More by betterbgood
avalon07

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev +12%

A: Poured from a bottle to an imperial pint glass. Had a dark orange color and a mostly clear consistency. There was a fizzy head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: A big, enticing aroma of pumpkin, spices, and malt.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, cinnamon, malt, and couple of other spices. One of the most vibrant, focused and flavorful pumpkin ales I've tried.

M: Could have used a little more carbonation. Dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An immensely drinkable brew.

09-23-2010 13:21:25 | More by avalon07
BeerVikingSailor

4.68/5  rDev +21.9%

22 oz bomber poured into Hoppin' Frog pint glass.

Had this last year when it first came out and loved it, and was eager to try this year! The fact that this beer just won the GABF Gold Medal in the style is pretty impressive for my hometown HF boys....congrats "Frog's"! I am a big fan of Pumpkin beers in general and have tried like 30 of them...think there may be room at some point for a separate category for the newer, more potent Double or Imperial Pumpkins which have cropped up over the past few years...the differences between one like this and a "regular pumpkin" like Shipyard Pumpkin or Buffalo Bills, are quite prounced, and akin to the differences between a regular IPA and DIPA....anyway, I digress...

Beer poured nice copper / orange color, head pretty light and nice carbonation...smell is pretty yummy, lots of spices, esp. cinnamon and the ginger is in there pretty strong, I like it!

Taste is pretty delicious IMO, really a nicely balanced brew that pulls off the delicate malt / hop / spice mix in a nice way, really quite good.

Mouthfeel is also good, slight alcohol / ginger burn at the end, body is a little light, but that makes it drinkable to me, if too heavy / sweet like many other Imp Pumpkins out there (i.e. ST Pumking), then that makes it not as drinkable, I think they pulled off another winner with this one!

I put a few of these aside in my cellar last year, along with some other heavier pumpkins, so will be interesting to sip alongside the new release for 2010 to see how they stack....nice job once again, Hoppin' Frog!

09-21-2010 18:59:13 | More by BeerVikingSailor
mdfb79

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice somewhat transparent amber color with 2 inches of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident. No rentention or lacing.

s - Smells of spices, pumpkin, fruity malts, bready malts, and graham crackers.

t - Tastes of pumpkins, spices, fruity malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and alcohol.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty nice pumpkin ale. Would have liked it to be a little sweeter but good none the less. Would drink again.

09-21-2010 00:45:25 | More by mdfb79
KAP1356

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

In light of the beginning of Autumn and the recent news that this beer won a Gold at the GABF in the category, I decided to give this one a try. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a DFH Signature glass...

A - Pours an almost completely clear orange-amber color that seems quite carbonated as the bibbles are rocketing to the top. No real head forms at all and whatever built up faded quite quickly to nothing.

S - Spices are quite abundant as indicated on the label. I can only really make out cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and some allspice. Slightly peppery as well...almost ginger like really. Pumpkin is there but it seems to be overpowered by the spices.

T - Very spice laden beer. Nice autumn spices make this one quite nice, although I still feel underwhelmed by the actual presence of pumpkin. There is a peppery bite too at the end of the palate along with a slight alcohol burn.

M - Medium bodied and as it warmed became a bit heavier. Slight pepper/alcohol burn at the back of the throat is not the most appetizing thing.

D - Massive quantity is not the name of this beer. It was a struggle to get through the whole bottle myself. With that said, I think this would be quite good with a slice of pumpkin pie on a nice cold autumn day.

09-20-2010 23:37:30 | More by KAP1356
DrDemento456

A - Very unexpected. Very mild carbonation that completely disappears with no lacing. Nice orange tint amber color gives beer some life.

S - Very mild if any nutmeg and cinnamon. I can mildly smell pumpkin but it may come out with more as it warms.

T - Like others have stated it starts off kind of boozy. Then goes into a slight cinnamon and nutmeg sweetness but the boozy factor is pretty high on this beer it makes it hard just to even sip. Warms my empty stomach.

M - Medium to heavy depending on how cold.

D - This is the second "recommended" pumpkin beer that did have a pretty good sweetness but came off more of a malt liquor with a pretty high boozy factor. I guess I will have to age Pumking and hope the malt and hops work it out and become smooth not hoppy bitter.

09-18-2010 06:47:37 | More by DrDemento456
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

I split this beer with my wife after a long day.

A: Mildly cloudy orange, with a small head that quickly disappeared, and moderate carbonation.

S: Cinnamon, with mildly tart, almost carnival candy-like sweetness.

T: It's almost as if somebody took a large vat of cloves and nutmeg, mixed them up, added alcohol to it, and...Ta da!...I like both of those spices a lot, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.

M: Pretty good. It's kind of sugary, but it's more of a high quality type brown sugar....and the lacing on the glass is there and then some.

D: I couldn't drink a whole lot of this stuff because this is definitely more of a "gourmet dessert" type of beer. But like most desserts...if someone offered me another morsel, I wouldn't throw a shit fit.

09-16-2010 02:15:27 | More by Chaney
beer2day

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Deep translucent orange pour. Very little head, gone in an instant. No lace.

Big pumpkin nose, with lots of spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove all there. Basically all the spices they list on the bottle. Getting a little pepper, too. Lots of strength here.

Very spicy flavor, with lots of pumpkin pie. Thick, chewy taste midway through - almost custard like. Feel really doesn't rise up to match the taste, though. Nice pepper in the finish.

Pretty easy to drink for a double pumpkin.

09-16-2010 00:43:25 | More by beer2day
Spider889

3.88/5  rDev +1%

No head at all on this beer, and from what I understand I bought this the first week it was available in stores. Deep red-orange in color.

Smells of cinnamon and allspice.

Actually tastes like pumpkin pie compared to the countless beers that merely try to simulate that effect by incorporating the ingredients of pumpkin pie in their beers. Lots of cinnamon and pumpkin flavor, some booziness.

Medium bodied, there's a light alcohol burn to the finish.

A little heavy in the stomach, drinking a growler solo would be tough, but with some family this drank nicely and I would be happy to give it another go next year.

09-15-2010 06:44:39 | More by Spider889
BeerAndBourbon

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

A. Pours a clear red tinged copper with very little bright white head that dissipates to nothing almost instantly leaving no residual lacing.

S. Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, red apples, and a bit of allspice.

T. Lots of spice: cinnamon and nutmeg predominate. Not much sweetness. The flavor is not quite as robust as the smell, which is disappointing after the first whiff.

M. Fairly thin with a brisk carbonation that leaves the mouth fairly dry with a bit of residual spice.

D. Not a bad beer, but one that I likely won't pick up again. My wife and I tend to stick to Oktoberfest beers this time of the year. Occasionally we grab a pumpkin, but we usually end up regretting our decision. Oh well.

09-15-2010 00:43:00 | More by BeerAndBourbon
bluejacket74

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with a half inch fizzy off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is very strong and spicy, mostly like cinnamon and cloves but with some nutmeg, ginger and pumpkin noticable too. I can taste all the spices and pumpkin, but for whatever reason the taste doesn't live up to what this brew smells like. It's a lot weaker tasting than I thought it would be, at least compared to the aroma anyway. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with low carbonation. Drinkability is OK enough. It's a decent pumpkin ale, but not one of my favorites. I think it's worth trying, I wouldn't turn one down.

09-05-2010 22:29:04 | More by bluejacket74
ltjska04

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer is a deep orange but barely had any head. The smell is all cinnamon at first with other spices coming later. Smells like Big Red gum. The taste reminds me of toothpaste. Minty with some cinnamon, not what I expected. The body is also kind of thin for being imperial. Overall a disappointment, maybe a bad bottle?

09-04-2010 01:25:37 | More by ltjska04
bamadog

Kentucky

I was more than happy to pick this one up. I've only had a few beers from Hoppin' Frog but they've all been good up to this point. Review is from notes taken on 9/1/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a fairly light coppery color with darker hints closer to the edges; starts with a one finger, off-white head that fades immediately to nothing other than a thin wisp; body is mostly clear and shows moderately light carbonation; only a few spots of oily lacing are present and they slide back into the beer pretty quickly.

Smell: Tons of spices pour out of the glass and into the nose -- cinnamon and nutmeg mostly, the but definitely some allspice and light hints of pumpkin; bit of a sweet buttery graham cracker bready/crustiness to the malts; very strong and robust.

Taste: Taste is really good and very spice, and perhaps even a bit over-spiced and at the expense of the primary gourd as it is really overshadowed; really matches the nose in transition from scents to flavors; slight presence of warm alcohol at the end and the then spices jump right back to the forefront even in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium in weight and is a little slick and oily on the way down; a rather thick and sticky coating is left on the roof and the cheeks and gums are left quite tingly from the prickly carbonation that is stronger than I thought it would be and the moderately high ABV; belly is left a little warm as well.

Drinkability: While it may be a little overly spiced, it's still very good and easily in my top 3 pumpkin ales now; the ABV is a bit high and packs a bit of a punch, so it's going to be a tad more moderate but I'll definitely be picking up several more of these over the course of the season.

09-03-2010 02:13:18 | More by bamadog
Khazadum

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

My stupidity put me on a bus going the wrong way not too long ago. Fortunately for me, I realized there was a Binny's I had never been to. This Binny's, the one on Grand, was not the biggest but they did have the seasonal I've been waiting for for a while now. It lasted less than two weeks in my fridge before I grabbed it and decided to pour it into my brandy snifter.

Vision
Standard characteristics of a pumpkin ale here. Crisp white bubbles that lasted only a few seconds before leaving the barest resemblance of a collar. Burnt-orange to rust colored body reveal a few columns of never-ending carbonation.

Bouquet
This beer turned me into a time traveler. I swear I was sitting at Thanksgiving 2009 with my eyes close, inhaling deeply the pumpkin pie in front of me. It is identical to every pie that has ever been baked in my presence. That strong pumpkin aroma laced with ginger and cinnamon help stir positive emotions like few beers can. And who can forget the nutmeg. They stand alone as well as together upon every sniff.

The cloves are strong players as well, but they bring up the caboose of this pleasure train. I'm very impressed with this beer. It met my expectations and exceeded them with ease. It is not just spices, it is not just pumpkin. It is the harmonizing of the pumpkin lead singer and spice back-up choir.

Taste
The flavors from this beer are outrageous. Subtle while not losing their unique characteristics. The first train car to pass over my lingual muscle is a dessert car. I feel like they took the spirit of pumpkin pie and nailed it. It is that wonderful flavor combination that can not be mistaken for anything else.

Dissecting it further, it is initially pumpkin and cinnamon twirling in an intricate dance with no fumbles to note. Nutmeg peeks its little head out of the second car as the memory of cinnamon and pumpkin fade to the background.

The last car to pass the station is got to be the cloves. This bitter caress that is seemingly unique. There are sweet notes with it, but it is principally a bitter flavor.

Oral Sensations
I wasn't expecting the body that flowed through my mouth tonight. I want to call it full in texture, but its not quite there yet. It is deceivingly close to being full in nature. It feels smooth, comforting. It is like my favorite pair of pajamas after a long day of dress clothes.

It lingers on my palate, on the roof of my mouth, on my lips, on everything! It is welcome because of the gentle sweetness that constantly perks up.

Conclusions
I'm amazed. Truly amazed. The alcohol only comes out in the slight heat I feel at the back of my neck. It is easy to down, and if I am not careful I find myself sipping this quicker than most beers due to its deliciousness.

Hoppin' Frog finally hit a home run in my book, and I am definitely going to pick this one up to share with others. To sum it up, smells great, tastes great, looks okay, and drinks well.

09-01-2010 01:52:39 | More by Khazadum
jampics2

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle into a tulip. Cloudy orange with gold highlights. Poor head retention and lace, just missing something, this isn't flat but looks really poor.

Smells of spices - clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. An underlying weirdness too, probably from the malt which is just buried under the spices. Touch of booze as well. Nice and expressive, just not too pleasant to be exceptional.

Taste is OK. Sweet and bready malt makes the base for the spices. Candied ginger, cinnamon sticks, clove and brown sugar give it its festive edge. Some hoppy bitterness and mild skunky flavors at the end.

Mouthfeel is just a touch sticky. Body is medium and carb is low to medium. Finish is sticky but lingering spices are really quite tasty.

Overall, this wasn't memorable. I had it fresh and it's gone downhill a touch in the cellar, but it was never that great to begin with. I'll pass this year except for one bottle to compare with my other cellared bottle, but I don't have high hopes from what I remember - sorry, Frogs. Thankfully, this season brings us one release closer to the amazing Frosted Frog!!! Skip the pumpkin pie and go straight for the frosting!!

08-23-2010 19:15:18 | More by jampics2
SamuelJackson45

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Man.Open the bottle and it smell like warm Pumpkin pie. I was ready to eat. Pour it to the bottle nice mid amber in color. The taste is awsome. Pumpkin flavor everywhere and not to heavy in spices you can taste the pumpkin in every sip. Sucks don't have pumpkin pie on hand to drink this with. Boy this is a good beer. This is a must try for anyone that haven't try this beer.

08-03-2010 06:07:40 | More by SamuelJackson45
jhoban19

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

22oz. bottle poured into my favorite personalized goblet.

A: deep amber color with very little head, even with a vigorous pour. Lacing is minimal. Some random floaties mingle amongst the bubbly carbonation.

S: Pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and even hints of piecrust (presumably from toasted malt), like a slice of Thanksgiving Day. By the time I fill my goblet for the third time there is a greater presence of alcohol and at 8.4% I'm not surprised.

T: Liquid Thanksgiving. Not sure I can describe it any better than that. The pumpkin and spices are in near perfect balance and incredibly natural- nothing artificial about the flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied with a long lingering finish. Slightly dry on that finish, but boy does it linger.

D: Frog's Hollow is a wonderful version of the style. It may not look as beautiful as ST Pumking or DFH Punkin Ale, but it tastes every bit as good. The balanced flavors of pumpkin and spice keep my mouth watering through the entire bottle. I'll be sure to look for more of this brew in the fall, along with my other favorites mentioned above.

05-06-2010 03:55:44 | More by jhoban19
emerge077

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to Sebastian for tossing this one my way as a freebie...

Contrary to popular opinion, this seems to have held up well over the last 6 months.

Deep hazy orange amber with super micro suspended sediment. Two fingers of foam that rise just to the rim of the Duvel tulip. It sinks back to the surface, leaving a few drips and spots on the glass. The skim stays unbroken for awhile.

Roasted pumpkin, nutmeg, cardamom, hint of bubblegum. I'm almost getting the browned crust in there too, and a hint of brown sugar sweetness. So far so good.

Full bodied and dry, some bitterness and light astringency, but not distracting. Spices linger in the finish, distinct nutmeg and cinnamon. It's a big beer, but still more drinkable than other overspiced versions of the style. Double Pumpkin is fairly balanced, with no indication of the higher abv.

The body has some slickness to it, like a hefeweizen. Reminds me of a weizenbock actually. Pretty nice, i'll look for this again in the Fall.

04-27-2010 23:32:00 | More by emerge077
nlmartin

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer has been hanging around my beer fridge for several months. Always I found another beer to drink. Wish I had tried this beer sooner. The beer has been chilled since October of 09. The beer was served in a wide mouthed chalice.

Appearance: The beer has a clear orange coloration. The head of the beer is biege and quickly resolves. Specs of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: There is pumpkin lurking around in this bready beer. The spice mix in the beer is well done brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamon. Well done!

Taste: The flavor of the beer closely mirrors the aroma. The spices are well incorporated. The beer is a bit sweet no hops are really noted to tame the sweetness; however, the spices keep the sweetness in check.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is almost full. The body is also very smooth and slick. The beer disappeared from my glass rapidly. I look forward to having this beer again come the Hallows season. Well Done!....

03-22-2010 02:15:27 | More by nlmartin
nrbw23

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Probably my favorite Pumpkin Ale thus far.

A- Pours a pretty much clear golden color. Small white head, has pretty much no retention or lacing.

S- Pumpkin all over the place on this one. Quite a bit of spice going on too: such as ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. A bit of malts come in too.

T- This beer follows the nose perfectly. The spices and malts blend well and nothing is over the top. Right on.

M- Medium in body and the carbonation seems light.

D- Easy to drink for sure. I'll pick this one up for sure next season.

02-24-2010 08:36:22 | More by nrbw23