Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 08-30-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
KAP1356

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

In light of the beginning of Autumn and the recent news that this beer won a Gold at the GABF in the category, I decided to give this one a try. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a DFH Signature glass...

A - Pours an almost completely clear orange-amber color that seems quite carbonated as the bibbles are rocketing to the top. No real head forms at all and whatever built up faded quite quickly to nothing.

S - Spices are quite abundant as indicated on the label. I can only really make out cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and some allspice. Slightly peppery as well...almost ginger like really. Pumpkin is there but it seems to be overpowered by the spices.

T - Very spice laden beer. Nice autumn spices make this one quite nice, although I still feel underwhelmed by the actual presence of pumpkin. There is a peppery bite too at the end of the palate along with a slight alcohol burn.

M - Medium bodied and as it warmed became a bit heavier. Slight pepper/alcohol burn at the back of the throat is not the most appetizing thing.

D - Massive quantity is not the name of this beer. It was a struggle to get through the whole bottle myself. With that said, I think this would be quite good with a slice of pumpkin pie on a nice cold autumn day.

09-20-2010 23:37:30 | More by KAP1356
DrDemento456

A - Very unexpected. Very mild carbonation that completely disappears with no lacing. Nice orange tint amber color gives beer some life.

S - Very mild if any nutmeg and cinnamon. I can mildly smell pumpkin but it may come out with more as it warms.

T - Like others have stated it starts off kind of boozy. Then goes into a slight cinnamon and nutmeg sweetness but the boozy factor is pretty high on this beer it makes it hard just to even sip. Warms my empty stomach.

M - Medium to heavy depending on how cold.

D - This is the second "recommended" pumpkin beer that did have a pretty good sweetness but came off more of a malt liquor with a pretty high boozy factor. I guess I will have to age Pumking and hope the malt and hops work it out and become smooth not hoppy bitter.

09-18-2010 06:47:37 | More by DrDemento456
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

I split this beer with my wife after a long day.

A: Mildly cloudy orange, with a small head that quickly disappeared, and moderate carbonation.

S: Cinnamon, with mildly tart, almost carnival candy-like sweetness.

T: It's almost as if somebody took a large vat of cloves and nutmeg, mixed them up, added alcohol to it, and...Ta da!...I like both of those spices a lot, so that is not necessarily a bad thing.

M: Pretty good. It's kind of sugary, but it's more of a high quality type brown sugar....and the lacing on the glass is there and then some.

D: I couldn't drink a whole lot of this stuff because this is definitely more of a "gourmet dessert" type of beer. But like most desserts...if someone offered me another morsel, I wouldn't throw a shit fit.

09-16-2010 02:15:27 | More by Chaney
beer2day

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Deep translucent orange pour. Very little head, gone in an instant. No lace.

Big pumpkin nose, with lots of spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove all there. Basically all the spices they list on the bottle. Getting a little pepper, too. Lots of strength here.

Very spicy flavor, with lots of pumpkin pie. Thick, chewy taste midway through - almost custard like. Feel really doesn't rise up to match the taste, though. Nice pepper in the finish.

Pretty easy to drink for a double pumpkin.

09-16-2010 00:43:25 | More by beer2day
Spider889

3.88/5  rDev +1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

No head at all on this beer, and from what I understand I bought this the first week it was available in stores. Deep red-orange in color.

Smells of cinnamon and allspice.

Actually tastes like pumpkin pie compared to the countless beers that merely try to simulate that effect by incorporating the ingredients of pumpkin pie in their beers. Lots of cinnamon and pumpkin flavor, some booziness.

Medium bodied, there's a light alcohol burn to the finish.

A little heavy in the stomach, drinking a growler solo would be tough, but with some family this drank nicely and I would be happy to give it another go next year.

09-15-2010 06:44:39 | More by Spider889
BeerAndBourbon

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

A. Pours a clear red tinged copper with very little bright white head that dissipates to nothing almost instantly leaving no residual lacing.

S. Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, red apples, and a bit of allspice.

T. Lots of spice: cinnamon and nutmeg predominate. Not much sweetness. The flavor is not quite as robust as the smell, which is disappointing after the first whiff.

M. Fairly thin with a brisk carbonation that leaves the mouth fairly dry with a bit of residual spice.

D. Not a bad beer, but one that I likely won't pick up again. My wife and I tend to stick to Oktoberfest beers this time of the year. Occasionally we grab a pumpkin, but we usually end up regretting our decision. Oh well.

09-15-2010 00:43:00 | More by BeerAndBourbon
bluejacket74

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with a half inch fizzy off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is very strong and spicy, mostly like cinnamon and cloves but with some nutmeg, ginger and pumpkin noticable too. I can taste all the spices and pumpkin, but for whatever reason the taste doesn't live up to what this brew smells like. It's a lot weaker tasting than I thought it would be, at least compared to the aroma anyway. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with low carbonation. Drinkability is OK enough. It's a decent pumpkin ale, but not one of my favorites. I think it's worth trying, I wouldn't turn one down.

09-05-2010 22:29:04 | More by bluejacket74
ltjska04

Kentucky

2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer is a deep orange but barely had any head. The smell is all cinnamon at first with other spices coming later. Smells like Big Red gum. The taste reminds me of toothpaste. Minty with some cinnamon, not what I expected. The body is also kind of thin for being imperial. Overall a disappointment, maybe a bad bottle?

09-04-2010 01:25:37 | More by ltjska04
bamadog

Kentucky

I was more than happy to pick this one up. I've only had a few beers from Hoppin' Frog but they've all been good up to this point. Review is from notes taken on 9/1/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a fairly light coppery color with darker hints closer to the edges; starts with a one finger, off-white head that fades immediately to nothing other than a thin wisp; body is mostly clear and shows moderately light carbonation; only a few spots of oily lacing are present and they slide back into the beer pretty quickly.

Smell: Tons of spices pour out of the glass and into the nose -- cinnamon and nutmeg mostly, the but definitely some allspice and light hints of pumpkin; bit of a sweet buttery graham cracker bready/crustiness to the malts; very strong and robust.

Taste: Taste is really good and very spice, and perhaps even a bit over-spiced and at the expense of the primary gourd as it is really overshadowed; really matches the nose in transition from scents to flavors; slight presence of warm alcohol at the end and the then spices jump right back to the forefront even in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium in weight and is a little slick and oily on the way down; a rather thick and sticky coating is left on the roof and the cheeks and gums are left quite tingly from the prickly carbonation that is stronger than I thought it would be and the moderately high ABV; belly is left a little warm as well.

Drinkability: While it may be a little overly spiced, it's still very good and easily in my top 3 pumpkin ales now; the ABV is a bit high and packs a bit of a punch, so it's going to be a tad more moderate but I'll definitely be picking up several more of these over the course of the season.

09-03-2010 02:13:18 | More by bamadog
Khazadum

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

My stupidity put me on a bus going the wrong way not too long ago. Fortunately for me, I realized there was a Binny's I had never been to. This Binny's, the one on Grand, was not the biggest but they did have the seasonal I've been waiting for for a while now. It lasted less than two weeks in my fridge before I grabbed it and decided to pour it into my brandy snifter.

Vision
Standard characteristics of a pumpkin ale here. Crisp white bubbles that lasted only a few seconds before leaving the barest resemblance of a collar. Burnt-orange to rust colored body reveal a few columns of never-ending carbonation.

Bouquet
This beer turned me into a time traveler. I swear I was sitting at Thanksgiving 2009 with my eyes close, inhaling deeply the pumpkin pie in front of me. It is identical to every pie that has ever been baked in my presence. That strong pumpkin aroma laced with ginger and cinnamon help stir positive emotions like few beers can. And who can forget the nutmeg. They stand alone as well as together upon every sniff.

The cloves are strong players as well, but they bring up the caboose of this pleasure train. I'm very impressed with this beer. It met my expectations and exceeded them with ease. It is not just spices, it is not just pumpkin. It is the harmonizing of the pumpkin lead singer and spice back-up choir.

Taste
The flavors from this beer are outrageous. Subtle while not losing their unique characteristics. The first train car to pass over my lingual muscle is a dessert car. I feel like they took the spirit of pumpkin pie and nailed it. It is that wonderful flavor combination that can not be mistaken for anything else.

Dissecting it further, it is initially pumpkin and cinnamon twirling in an intricate dance with no fumbles to note. Nutmeg peeks its little head out of the second car as the memory of cinnamon and pumpkin fade to the background.

The last car to pass the station is got to be the cloves. This bitter caress that is seemingly unique. There are sweet notes with it, but it is principally a bitter flavor.

Oral Sensations
I wasn't expecting the body that flowed through my mouth tonight. I want to call it full in texture, but its not quite there yet. It is deceivingly close to being full in nature. It feels smooth, comforting. It is like my favorite pair of pajamas after a long day of dress clothes.

It lingers on my palate, on the roof of my mouth, on my lips, on everything! It is welcome because of the gentle sweetness that constantly perks up.

Conclusions
I'm amazed. Truly amazed. The alcohol only comes out in the slight heat I feel at the back of my neck. It is easy to down, and if I am not careful I find myself sipping this quicker than most beers due to its deliciousness.

Hoppin' Frog finally hit a home run in my book, and I am definitely going to pick this one up to share with others. To sum it up, smells great, tastes great, looks okay, and drinks well.

09-01-2010 01:52:39 | More by Khazadum
jampics2

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle into a tulip. Cloudy orange with gold highlights. Poor head retention and lace, just missing something, this isn't flat but looks really poor.

Smells of spices - clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. An underlying weirdness too, probably from the malt which is just buried under the spices. Touch of booze as well. Nice and expressive, just not too pleasant to be exceptional.

Taste is OK. Sweet and bready malt makes the base for the spices. Candied ginger, cinnamon sticks, clove and brown sugar give it its festive edge. Some hoppy bitterness and mild skunky flavors at the end.

Mouthfeel is just a touch sticky. Body is medium and carb is low to medium. Finish is sticky but lingering spices are really quite tasty.

Overall, this wasn't memorable. I had it fresh and it's gone downhill a touch in the cellar, but it was never that great to begin with. I'll pass this year except for one bottle to compare with my other cellared bottle, but I don't have high hopes from what I remember - sorry, Frogs. Thankfully, this season brings us one release closer to the amazing Frosted Frog!!! Skip the pumpkin pie and go straight for the frosting!!

08-23-2010 19:15:18 | More by jampics2
SamuelJackson45

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Man.Open the bottle and it smell like warm Pumpkin pie. I was ready to eat. Pour it to the bottle nice mid amber in color. The taste is awsome. Pumpkin flavor everywhere and not to heavy in spices you can taste the pumpkin in every sip. Sucks don't have pumpkin pie on hand to drink this with. Boy this is a good beer. This is a must try for anyone that haven't try this beer.

08-03-2010 06:07:40 | More by SamuelJackson45
jhoban19

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into my favorite personalized goblet.

A: deep amber color with very little head, even with a vigorous pour. Lacing is minimal. Some random floaties mingle amongst the bubbly carbonation.

S: Pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and even hints of piecrust (presumably from toasted malt), like a slice of Thanksgiving Day. By the time I fill my goblet for the third time there is a greater presence of alcohol and at 8.4% I'm not surprised.

T: Liquid Thanksgiving. Not sure I can describe it any better than that. The pumpkin and spices are in near perfect balance and incredibly natural- nothing artificial about the flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied with a long lingering finish. Slightly dry on that finish, but boy does it linger.

D: Frog's Hollow is a wonderful version of the style. It may not look as beautiful as ST Pumking or DFH Punkin Ale, but it tastes every bit as good. The balanced flavors of pumpkin and spice keep my mouth watering through the entire bottle. I'll be sure to look for more of this brew in the fall, along with my other favorites mentioned above.

05-06-2010 03:55:44 | More by jhoban19
emerge077

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to Sebastian for tossing this one my way as a freebie...

Contrary to popular opinion, this seems to have held up well over the last 6 months.

Deep hazy orange amber with super micro suspended sediment. Two fingers of foam that rise just to the rim of the Duvel tulip. It sinks back to the surface, leaving a few drips and spots on the glass. The skim stays unbroken for awhile.

Roasted pumpkin, nutmeg, cardamom, hint of bubblegum. I'm almost getting the browned crust in there too, and a hint of brown sugar sweetness. So far so good.

Full bodied and dry, some bitterness and light astringency, but not distracting. Spices linger in the finish, distinct nutmeg and cinnamon. It's a big beer, but still more drinkable than other overspiced versions of the style. Double Pumpkin is fairly balanced, with no indication of the higher abv.

The body has some slickness to it, like a hefeweizen. Reminds me of a weizenbock actually. Pretty nice, i'll look for this again in the Fall.

04-27-2010 23:32:00 | More by emerge077
nlmartin

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer has been hanging around my beer fridge for several months. Always I found another beer to drink. Wish I had tried this beer sooner. The beer has been chilled since October of 09. The beer was served in a wide mouthed chalice.

Appearance: The beer has a clear orange coloration. The head of the beer is biege and quickly resolves. Specs of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: There is pumpkin lurking around in this bready beer. The spice mix in the beer is well done brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamon. Well done!

Taste: The flavor of the beer closely mirrors the aroma. The spices are well incorporated. The beer is a bit sweet no hops are really noted to tame the sweetness; however, the spices keep the sweetness in check.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is almost full. The body is also very smooth and slick. The beer disappeared from my glass rapidly. I look forward to having this beer again come the Hallows season. Well Done!....

03-22-2010 02:15:27 | More by nlmartin
nrbw23

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Probably my favorite Pumpkin Ale thus far.

A- Pours a pretty much clear golden color. Small white head, has pretty much no retention or lacing.

S- Pumpkin all over the place on this one. Quite a bit of spice going on too: such as ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. A bit of malts come in too.

T- This beer follows the nose perfectly. The spices and malts blend well and nothing is over the top. Right on.

M- Medium in body and the carbonation seems light.

D- Easy to drink for sure. I'll pick this one up for sure next season.

02-24-2010 08:36:22 | More by nrbw23
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

22 oz bottle, picked on latest trip thru Columbus.
Pours slightly cloudy, bright orange color, thin head, minimal lace. Lots of spicy aromas as soon as the cap comes off. Label lists cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, ginger; an they all are there. Sweetish malt base, with all the spices in the finish. Good level of carbonation. Not really any hops or bitterness, but not missed. No alcohol burn dispite the high alcohol percentage. Lots of body, full-flavored, an enjoyable sipper with layers of flavor coming out more as it starts to warm. One of the best 'pumpkin pie in a bottles' since Propeller Pumpkin.

02-14-2010 00:09:21 | More by BigBry
FreshmanPour77

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Review 1-19-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Caramel colored, ok carbonation poured to one finger of foam

S - Sweet cinnamon spices. Fair amount of hops and malts

T - Light bodied compared to some of the other pumpkin brews I have had and also smooth when going down. Noticed the spices on the tongue but yet smooth

M/D - I very tasty brew from Hoppin Frog, it isn't an over powering pumpkin ale. It shares a great blend of spices and malts. Smooth going down with no real after taste. Great Ale to enjoy and share, perfect fall seasonal which will add to my radar for purchasing again

01-20-2010 19:20:24 | More by FreshmanPour77
mikereaser

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 11/9/09

A - Pours a rust orange with just a bit of foam

S - mostly pumpkin spices and sweet malt

T - powdery, pumpkin pie spice, dry feeling, not that great of a taste, but not overly bad, i put it in the middle in terms of other pumpkin beers

M/D - smooth, light-medium bodied, for some reason it seems powdery to me, I don't think I will be buying this one again.

01-06-2010 21:13:26 | More by mikereaser
Jason

22oz bomber.

Two fingers of froth, stickage on the glass. Bright brassy amber clarity. Spiced nose, ginger and cinnamon come forward the most and tangle with the malt, pumpkin and alcohol. Smooth and slick full body. The beer shows its strength right away with a quick to warmth feel on the palate and lingering fruitiness from the yeast. Maltiness drops more breadiness than caramel. Ginger and cinnamon mirror the nose with remain dominant. Finishes semi-dry with spice and alcohol.

This beer flexes hard, yeah it has its pumpkin spiced side but the imperial side shows off a bit. I dig this beer a lot.

01-06-2010 01:19:30 | More by Jason
Vengeance526

Louisiana

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light orange color with minimal white head and light lacing.

Smells of cinnamon and cloves with a little nutmeg in the back. Not a lot of pumpkin but there may be a very light presence in there.

Taste comes off very much like the smell with a lto of noticeable cinnamon and nutmeg but lacking with the pumpkin. The finish does yield mild notes of pumpkin, but this one is largely dominated by the spices. Not bad but not quite as exciting as I had hoped.

Medium body with light to medium carbonation. Overall this really wasn't too bad but could've been pulled off a lot better. It seemed better as a spiced beer than as a true pumpkin ale and I expected better from Hoppin Frog. A nice try and certainly not a drainpour, but not worth what was paid.

01-01-2010 07:55:43 | More by Vengeance526
ffejherb

3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

22oz. bomber into tulip on 12/23/09.

A - Clear, sparsely carbonated rusty orange body with wispy off-white head that diminished to a thin ring of retention and left virtually no lacing.

S - Intensely spicy with equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice dominating the aroma. This brew displays a hint of pumpkin character, perhaps, but is overshadowed by its assertive spiciness.

T - Just as with the aroma, the flavor is dominated by an assortment of warm autumn spices including cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. There's even a hint of ginger in the mix. Finishes with a bready, doughy malt character reminiscent of a spicy holiday cookie.

M - Medium bodied with a warm, sticky mouthfeel and prickly carbonation. Finishes with a bit of spicy heat on the back of the tongue.

D - Pretty solid imperial pumpkin ale, although I wouldn't rate this on par with the likes of, say, Pumking. Ultimately, the spiciness gets a bit heavy-handed, which prevents the pumpkin character from really shining.

12-31-2009 17:19:21 | More by ffejherb
Kegatron

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear orange copper, with a ½ finger of eggshell-white foamy head. Retains mostly around the edges but sticks around with a rich look, leaving a strong cascade of spotty foam behind. Greenish pumpkin meat is very prominent here and has a nice sweet tang to from malts and spicy notes of cinnamon, clove, and allspice. There is a bit of a floral feel here as well, which gives this a fresh pop that nicely compliments the pumpkin flavor.

The taste is sweet and sticky with that green veggie feel from the pumpkin meat hanging on the outer edges. This has just the right amount of a zesty kick to it from those fall spices and a spurt of bitterness throughout gives this some extra zing in the mouth. Finishes with a smack of spice and leftover tang on the lips. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a sharp feel up front that then gets a little more mellow and creamy towards the back of the swallow. There is some definite beef to this but the alcohol taste itself is nicely hidden, hanging with a warm feel on the breath and mixing with some lingering spice.

A most welcome new addition to the increasing number of Imperial Pumpkin Ales out there over the last couple of years, this one did a nice job of providing plenty of both pumpkin meat and spice flavorings, while most importantly, keeping the heat levels at a minimum. A full 22 of this did start to wear a bit on the palate after a bit however. I'd recommend splitting this one with a buddy.

12-30-2009 13:04:35 | More by Kegatron
Metalmonk

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

First, the notes on the label regarding this beer are clearly nabbed from the verse lyrics of Black Sabbath's "Lady Evil" (1980, 'Heaven and Hell'). If you know the song, check it out and tell me it's not true. Great move!

If a pour can indicate mouthfeel, I'm just going to predict this is thin and maybe even watery. We'll see, but it poured out kind of limp and stringy like...and the thin head flattens to absolutely nothing quickly (no skim, no crown). At 8.4%, I can't imagine this is dead or old, but it looks that way. Color is nice though, a burnt autumn-leaf orange-rust, not unlike the guts of the pumpkin itself.

The nose is more like it, balanced between the spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, clover) and the flesh of the almighty Hallowe'en squash. Pretty straightforward pumpkin ale aroma, reminiscent of Cottonwood's version; solid if unspectacular.

Flavor lays out the spices and squash in equal measure, as in the nose. Ginger spikes out a little from the rest, and there's a buttery element too. A lemon-lime bite, not unlike Sprite soda or something similar, is also here, and the soda comparison is full-on in the sweetness of this beer, as well as the mouthfeel. Texturally its not as thin as I predicted, but is actually totally over-carbonated, over-tingly and pretty much intrusive to the flavor. Big pumpkin ales (over, say, 6.5% or something) should be creamy as all get-out. At least, the best ones are and have proven creaminess a great asset to a killer pumpkin ale flavor. Here there's pretty good flavor made nearly enjoyable by the coarse and aggressive texture.

Could've been better. Considering how much I like Hoppin' Frog's Russian imperial stout and double IPA, I figured this could threaten the throne of the great Pumking. But no, it doesn't.

12-23-2009 23:06:12 | More by Metalmonk
LilBeerDoctor

Reviewed on 10/3/09. Bottle. Pours a clear orange with a very small ring of white head. Aroma of pumpkin spices (mostly lots of ginger, pepper, clove, nutmeg). Flavor is equally spicy with only a touch of pumpkin pie crust. On the sweet side. Overall, it just isn't very tasty nor very pumpkin-y. Bleh.

12-19-2009 03:04:00 | More by LilBeerDoctor