Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 08-30-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Deep translucent orange pour. Very little head, gone in an instant. No lace.

Big pumpkin nose, with lots of spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove all there. Basically all the spices they list on the bottle. Getting a little pepper, too. Lots of strength here.

Very spicy flavor, with lots of pumpkin pie. Thick, chewy taste midway through - almost custard like. Feel really doesn't rise up to match the taste, though. Nice pepper in the finish.

Pretty easy to drink for a double pumpkin.

beer2day, Sep 16, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

No head at all on this beer, and from what I understand I bought this the first week it was available in stores. Deep red-orange in color.

Smells of cinnamon and allspice.

Actually tastes like pumpkin pie compared to the countless beers that merely try to simulate that effect by incorporating the ingredients of pumpkin pie in their beers. Lots of cinnamon and pumpkin flavor, some booziness.

Medium bodied, there's a light alcohol burn to the finish.

A little heavy in the stomach, drinking a growler solo would be tough, but with some family this drank nicely and I would be happy to give it another go next year.

Spider889, Sep 15, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

A. Pours a clear red tinged copper with very little bright white head that dissipates to nothing almost instantly leaving no residual lacing.

S. Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, red apples, and a bit of allspice.

T. Lots of spice: cinnamon and nutmeg predominate. Not much sweetness. The flavor is not quite as robust as the smell, which is disappointing after the first whiff.

M. Fairly thin with a brisk carbonation that leaves the mouth fairly dry with a bit of residual spice.

D. Not a bad beer, but one that I likely won't pick up again. My wife and I tend to stick to Oktoberfest beers this time of the year. Occasionally we grab a pumpkin, but we usually end up regretting our decision. Oh well.

BeerAndBourbon, Sep 15, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with a half inch fizzy off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is very strong and spicy, mostly like cinnamon and cloves but with some nutmeg, ginger and pumpkin noticable too. I can taste all the spices and pumpkin, but for whatever reason the taste doesn't live up to what this brew smells like. It's a lot weaker tasting than I thought it would be, at least compared to the aroma anyway. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick with low carbonation. Drinkability is OK enough. It's a decent pumpkin ale, but not one of my favorites. I think it's worth trying, I wouldn't turn one down.

bluejacket74, Sep 05, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -30.2%

This beer is a deep orange but barely had any head. The smell is all cinnamon at first with other spices coming later. Smells like Big Red gum. The taste reminds me of toothpaste. Minty with some cinnamon, not what I expected. The body is also kind of thin for being imperial. Overall a disappointment, maybe a bad bottle?

ltjska04, Sep 04, 2010

I was more than happy to pick this one up. I've only had a few beers from Hoppin' Frog but they've all been good up to this point. Review is from notes taken on 9/1/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a fairly light coppery color with darker hints closer to the edges; starts with a one finger, off-white head that fades immediately to nothing other than a thin wisp; body is mostly clear and shows moderately light carbonation; only a few spots of oily lacing are present and they slide back into the beer pretty quickly.

Smell: Tons of spices pour out of the glass and into the nose -- cinnamon and nutmeg mostly, the but definitely some allspice and light hints of pumpkin; bit of a sweet buttery graham cracker bready/crustiness to the malts; very strong and robust.

Taste: Taste is really good and very spice, and perhaps even a bit over-spiced and at the expense of the primary gourd as it is really overshadowed; really matches the nose in transition from scents to flavors; slight presence of warm alcohol at the end and the then spices jump right back to the forefront even in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium in weight and is a little slick and oily on the way down; a rather thick and sticky coating is left on the roof and the cheeks and gums are left quite tingly from the prickly carbonation that is stronger than I thought it would be and the moderately high ABV; belly is left a little warm as well.

Drinkability: While it may be a little overly spiced, it's still very good and easily in my top 3 pumpkin ales now; the ABV is a bit high and packs a bit of a punch, so it's going to be a tad more moderate but I'll definitely be picking up several more of these over the course of the season.

bamadog, Sep 03, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

My stupidity put me on a bus going the wrong way not too long ago. Fortunately for me, I realized there was a Binny's I had never been to. This Binny's, the one on Grand, was not the biggest but they did have the seasonal I've been waiting for for a while now. It lasted less than two weeks in my fridge before I grabbed it and decided to pour it into my brandy snifter.

Vision
Standard characteristics of a pumpkin ale here. Crisp white bubbles that lasted only a few seconds before leaving the barest resemblance of a collar. Burnt-orange to rust colored body reveal a few columns of never-ending carbonation.

Bouquet
This beer turned me into a time traveler. I swear I was sitting at Thanksgiving 2009 with my eyes close, inhaling deeply the pumpkin pie in front of me. It is identical to every pie that has ever been baked in my presence. That strong pumpkin aroma laced with ginger and cinnamon help stir positive emotions like few beers can. And who can forget the nutmeg. They stand alone as well as together upon every sniff.

The cloves are strong players as well, but they bring up the caboose of this pleasure train. I'm very impressed with this beer. It met my expectations and exceeded them with ease. It is not just spices, it is not just pumpkin. It is the harmonizing of the pumpkin lead singer and spice back-up choir.

Taste
The flavors from this beer are outrageous. Subtle while not losing their unique characteristics. The first train car to pass over my lingual muscle is a dessert car. I feel like they took the spirit of pumpkin pie and nailed it. It is that wonderful flavor combination that can not be mistaken for anything else.

Dissecting it further, it is initially pumpkin and cinnamon twirling in an intricate dance with no fumbles to note. Nutmeg peeks its little head out of the second car as the memory of cinnamon and pumpkin fade to the background.

The last car to pass the station is got to be the cloves. This bitter caress that is seemingly unique. There are sweet notes with it, but it is principally a bitter flavor.

Oral Sensations
I wasn't expecting the body that flowed through my mouth tonight. I want to call it full in texture, but its not quite there yet. It is deceivingly close to being full in nature. It feels smooth, comforting. It is like my favorite pair of pajamas after a long day of dress clothes.

It lingers on my palate, on the roof of my mouth, on my lips, on everything! It is welcome because of the gentle sweetness that constantly perks up.

Conclusions
I'm amazed. Truly amazed. The alcohol only comes out in the slight heat I feel at the back of my neck. It is easy to down, and if I am not careful I find myself sipping this quicker than most beers due to its deliciousness.

Hoppin' Frog finally hit a home run in my book, and I am definitely going to pick this one up to share with others. To sum it up, smells great, tastes great, looks okay, and drinks well.

Khazadum, Sep 01, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

22oz bottle into a tulip. Cloudy orange with gold highlights. Poor head retention and lace, just missing something, this isn't flat but looks really poor.

Smells of spices - clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger. An underlying weirdness too, probably from the malt which is just buried under the spices. Touch of booze as well. Nice and expressive, just not too pleasant to be exceptional.

Taste is OK. Sweet and bready malt makes the base for the spices. Candied ginger, cinnamon sticks, clove and brown sugar give it its festive edge. Some hoppy bitterness and mild skunky flavors at the end.

Mouthfeel is just a touch sticky. Body is medium and carb is low to medium. Finish is sticky but lingering spices are really quite tasty.

Overall, this wasn't memorable. I had it fresh and it's gone downhill a touch in the cellar, but it was never that great to begin with. I'll pass this year except for one bottle to compare with my other cellared bottle, but I don't have high hopes from what I remember - sorry, Frogs. Thankfully, this season brings us one release closer to the amazing Frosted Frog!!! Skip the pumpkin pie and go straight for the frosting!!

jampics2, Aug 23, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +11.5%

Man.Open the bottle and it smell like warm Pumpkin pie. I was ready to eat. Pour it to the bottle nice mid amber in color. The taste is awsome. Pumpkin flavor everywhere and not to heavy in spices you can taste the pumpkin in every sip. Sucks don't have pumpkin pie on hand to drink this with. Boy this is a good beer. This is a must try for anyone that haven't try this beer.

SamuelJackson45, Aug 03, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into my favorite personalized goblet.

A: deep amber color with very little head, even with a vigorous pour. Lacing is minimal. Some random floaties mingle amongst the bubbly carbonation.

S: Pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and even hints of piecrust (presumably from toasted malt), like a slice of Thanksgiving Day. By the time I fill my goblet for the third time there is a greater presence of alcohol and at 8.4% I'm not surprised.

T: Liquid Thanksgiving. Not sure I can describe it any better than that. The pumpkin and spices are in near perfect balance and incredibly natural- nothing artificial about the flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied with a long lingering finish. Slightly dry on that finish, but boy does it linger.

D: Frog's Hollow is a wonderful version of the style. It may not look as beautiful as ST Pumking or DFH Punkin Ale, but it tastes every bit as good. The balanced flavors of pumpkin and spice keep my mouth watering through the entire bottle. I'll be sure to look for more of this brew in the fall, along with my other favorites mentioned above.

jhoban19, May 06, 2010
4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to Sebastian for tossing this one my way as a freebie...

Contrary to popular opinion, this seems to have held up well over the last 6 months.

Deep hazy orange amber with super micro suspended sediment. Two fingers of foam that rise just to the rim of the Duvel tulip. It sinks back to the surface, leaving a few drips and spots on the glass. The skim stays unbroken for awhile.

Roasted pumpkin, nutmeg, cardamom, hint of bubblegum. I'm almost getting the browned crust in there too, and a hint of brown sugar sweetness. So far so good.

Full bodied and dry, some bitterness and light astringency, but not distracting. Spices linger in the finish, distinct nutmeg and cinnamon. It's a big beer, but still more drinkable than other overspiced versions of the style. Double Pumpkin is fairly balanced, with no indication of the higher abv.

The body has some slickness to it, like a hefeweizen. Reminds me of a weizenbock actually. Pretty nice, i'll look for this again in the Fall.

emerge077, Apr 27, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer has been hanging around my beer fridge for several months. Always I found another beer to drink. Wish I had tried this beer sooner. The beer has been chilled since October of 09. The beer was served in a wide mouthed chalice.

Appearance: The beer has a clear orange coloration. The head of the beer is biege and quickly resolves. Specs of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: There is pumpkin lurking around in this bready beer. The spice mix in the beer is well done brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamon. Well done!

Taste: The flavor of the beer closely mirrors the aroma. The spices are well incorporated. The beer is a bit sweet no hops are really noted to tame the sweetness; however, the spices keep the sweetness in check.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is almost full. The body is also very smooth and slick. The beer disappeared from my glass rapidly. I look forward to having this beer again come the Hallows season. Well Done!....

nlmartin, Mar 22, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Probably my favorite Pumpkin Ale thus far.

A- Pours a pretty much clear golden color. Small white head, has pretty much no retention or lacing.

S- Pumpkin all over the place on this one. Quite a bit of spice going on too: such as ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. A bit of malts come in too.

T- This beer follows the nose perfectly. The spices and malts blend well and nothing is over the top. Right on.

M- Medium in body and the carbonation seems light.

D- Easy to drink for sure. I'll pick this one up for sure next season.

nrbw23, Feb 24, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

22 oz bottle, picked on latest trip thru Columbus.
Pours slightly cloudy, bright orange color, thin head, minimal lace. Lots of spicy aromas as soon as the cap comes off. Label lists cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, allspice, ginger; an they all are there. Sweetish malt base, with all the spices in the finish. Good level of carbonation. Not really any hops or bitterness, but not missed. No alcohol burn dispite the high alcohol percentage. Lots of body, full-flavored, an enjoyable sipper with layers of flavor coming out more as it starts to warm. One of the best 'pumpkin pie in a bottles' since Propeller Pumpkin.

BigBry, Feb 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Review 1-19-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Caramel colored, ok carbonation poured to one finger of foam

S - Sweet cinnamon spices. Fair amount of hops and malts

T - Light bodied compared to some of the other pumpkin brews I have had and also smooth when going down. Noticed the spices on the tongue but yet smooth

M/D - I very tasty brew from Hoppin Frog, it isn't an over powering pumpkin ale. It shares a great blend of spices and malts. Smooth going down with no real after taste. Great Ale to enjoy and share, perfect fall seasonal which will add to my radar for purchasing again

FreshmanPour77, Jan 20, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle on 11/9/09

A - Pours a rust orange with just a bit of foam

S - mostly pumpkin spices and sweet malt

T - powdery, pumpkin pie spice, dry feeling, not that great of a taste, but not overly bad, i put it in the middle in terms of other pumpkin beers

M/D - smooth, light-medium bodied, for some reason it seems powdery to me, I don't think I will be buying this one again.

mikereaser, Jan 06, 2010

22oz bomber.

Two fingers of froth, stickage on the glass. Bright brassy amber clarity. Spiced nose, ginger and cinnamon come forward the most and tangle with the malt, pumpkin and alcohol. Smooth and slick full body. The beer shows its strength right away with a quick to warmth feel on the palate and lingering fruitiness from the yeast. Maltiness drops more breadiness than caramel. Ginger and cinnamon mirror the nose with remain dominant. Finishes semi-dry with spice and alcohol.

This beer flexes hard, yeah it has its pumpkin spiced side but the imperial side shows off a bit. I dig this beer a lot.

Jason, Jan 06, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a light orange color with minimal white head and light lacing.

Smells of cinnamon and cloves with a little nutmeg in the back. Not a lot of pumpkin but there may be a very light presence in there.

Taste comes off very much like the smell with a lto of noticeable cinnamon and nutmeg but lacking with the pumpkin. The finish does yield mild notes of pumpkin, but this one is largely dominated by the spices. Not bad but not quite as exciting as I had hoped.

Medium body with light to medium carbonation. Overall this really wasn't too bad but could've been pulled off a lot better. It seemed better as a spiced beer than as a true pumpkin ale and I expected better from Hoppin Frog. A nice try and certainly not a drainpour, but not worth what was paid.

Vengeance526, Jan 01, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -10.7%

22oz. bomber into tulip on 12/23/09.

A - Clear, sparsely carbonated rusty orange body with wispy off-white head that diminished to a thin ring of retention and left virtually no lacing.

S - Intensely spicy with equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and allspice dominating the aroma. This brew displays a hint of pumpkin character, perhaps, but is overshadowed by its assertive spiciness.

T - Just as with the aroma, the flavor is dominated by an assortment of warm autumn spices including cinnamon, nutmeg and clove. There's even a hint of ginger in the mix. Finishes with a bready, doughy malt character reminiscent of a spicy holiday cookie.

M - Medium bodied with a warm, sticky mouthfeel and prickly carbonation. Finishes with a bit of spicy heat on the back of the tongue.

D - Pretty solid imperial pumpkin ale, although I wouldn't rate this on par with the likes of, say, Pumking. Ultimately, the spiciness gets a bit heavy-handed, which prevents the pumpkin character from really shining.

ffejherb, Dec 31, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a clear orange copper, with a ½ finger of eggshell-white foamy head. Retains mostly around the edges but sticks around with a rich look, leaving a strong cascade of spotty foam behind. Greenish pumpkin meat is very prominent here and has a nice sweet tang to from malts and spicy notes of cinnamon, clove, and allspice. There is a bit of a floral feel here as well, which gives this a fresh pop that nicely compliments the pumpkin flavor.

The taste is sweet and sticky with that green veggie feel from the pumpkin meat hanging on the outer edges. This has just the right amount of a zesty kick to it from those fall spices and a spurt of bitterness throughout gives this some extra zing in the mouth. Finishes with a smack of spice and leftover tang on the lips. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a sharp feel up front that then gets a little more mellow and creamy towards the back of the swallow. There is some definite beef to this but the alcohol taste itself is nicely hidden, hanging with a warm feel on the breath and mixing with some lingering spice.

A most welcome new addition to the increasing number of Imperial Pumpkin Ales out there over the last couple of years, this one did a nice job of providing plenty of both pumpkin meat and spice flavorings, while most importantly, keeping the heat levels at a minimum. A full 22 of this did start to wear a bit on the palate after a bit however. I'd recommend splitting this one with a buddy.

Kegatron, Dec 30, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

First, the notes on the label regarding this beer are clearly nabbed from the verse lyrics of Black Sabbath's "Lady Evil" (1980, 'Heaven and Hell'). If you know the song, check it out and tell me it's not true. Great move!

If a pour can indicate mouthfeel, I'm just going to predict this is thin and maybe even watery. We'll see, but it poured out kind of limp and stringy like...and the thin head flattens to absolutely nothing quickly (no skim, no crown). At 8.4%, I can't imagine this is dead or old, but it looks that way. Color is nice though, a burnt autumn-leaf orange-rust, not unlike the guts of the pumpkin itself.

The nose is more like it, balanced between the spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, clover) and the flesh of the almighty Hallowe'en squash. Pretty straightforward pumpkin ale aroma, reminiscent of Cottonwood's version; solid if unspectacular.

Flavor lays out the spices and squash in equal measure, as in the nose. Ginger spikes out a little from the rest, and there's a buttery element too. A lemon-lime bite, not unlike Sprite soda or something similar, is also here, and the soda comparison is full-on in the sweetness of this beer, as well as the mouthfeel. Texturally its not as thin as I predicted, but is actually totally over-carbonated, over-tingly and pretty much intrusive to the flavor. Big pumpkin ales (over, say, 6.5% or something) should be creamy as all get-out. At least, the best ones are and have proven creaminess a great asset to a killer pumpkin ale flavor. Here there's pretty good flavor made nearly enjoyable by the coarse and aggressive texture.

Could've been better. Considering how much I like Hoppin' Frog's Russian imperial stout and double IPA, I figured this could threaten the throne of the great Pumking. But no, it doesn't.

Metalmonk, Dec 23, 2009

Reviewed on 10/3/09. Bottle. Pours a clear orange with a very small ring of white head. Aroma of pumpkin spices (mostly lots of ginger, pepper, clove, nutmeg). Flavor is equally spicy with only a touch of pumpkin pie crust. On the sweet side. Overall, it just isn't very tasty nor very pumpkin-y. Bleh.

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 19, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass.

A- After a vigorous pour into a beer clean glass, the head dissipated quickly leaving only a few bubbles around the rim of the glass. Other than the lack of head, a crystal clear orange/amber colored beer with light carbonation.

S- Heavy on the ginger at first, very little of the other spices listed on the bottle. As the beer warmed, nutmeg came through while the ginger gave way.

T- Ginger, moderate alcohol, spices, much less pumpkin than I expected in a double pumpkin ale. The pumpkin is there, but overpowered by the nutmeg. A spicy aftertaste. With this much ginger, I think more of a malt backbone and more pumpkin would have really improved the beer. Interesting, but not what I expected.

M- As the beer warms up and the ginger subsides, the beer feels more viscous, an improvement.

D- Not a beer I would drink very much of. Most pumpkin beers are sessionable, but the higher alcohol and ginger bite make this a one bomber sitting.

A nice attempt to try something new with a pumpkin beer by adding the ginger. However, I expected more pumpkin in a beer labeled Double Pumpkin Ale. Maybe the "Double" was only meant to modify "Ale" and not "Pumpkin"?

Pecorasc, Dec 03, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

"I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."

--Henry David Thoreau

Glossy cantaloupe orange with honey colored trim. Several slow bubble streams lead up to a compact crown of foam that is midway between ivory and ecru. It lacks character and isn't exactly coating the glass. In the end, a few thin sheets of suds manage to stick.

The aroma was appreciated as soon as the cap was removed. It's pumpkin pie spicy, but doesn't have the 'oomph' that was expected given the ABV. Imperial pumpkin ales should be richer and more aromatic than this. That said, it delivers as well as most.

To be honest, Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale isn't the humdinger that my taste buds were hoping for. For starters, it's too weak in the malt department, which has implications throughout the flavor profile. More pale malt would have been the way to go. Other than the alcohol, this is the pale ale equivalent of the style rather than the DIPA equivalent. If that makes any sense.

The amount of sweetness is right about where it should be. As is the amount of spiciness, which is always crucial in a pumpkin ale. Bitterness is pretty much absent. There can't be too many beers of any style whose IBU counts (7.3) are lower than their ABVs (8.4%).

The spices listed on the label include cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and clove. It isn't easy to sort them out individually and there's really no point in trying. They work well as a team and deliver that 'liquid pumpkin pie' character that is the hallmark of the style. As the middle portion of the bomber gets underway... this is better beer than I initially gave it credit for. Scores will be increased accordingly.

The mouthfeel doesn't quite measure up. It's light enough to promote rapid consumption (not a good idea), but should have more creaminess and maybe even a little chewiness. ABVs this high come with certain expectations.

Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale is closer to Single And A Half Pumpkin Ale. Even though it earns the same scores as the three other Imperial pumpkin ales that I've reviewed so far (from Southern Tier, Weyerbacher and Schlafly), it's my least favorite. Again, more malt would fix it right up. Happy (belated) Halloween.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 28, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Golden orange and transparent. Virually no head despite my efforts, and virtually no lacing. Maintains a foamy rim with that little bit of carbonation in the middle.

S: Pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg? Not sure about the last. In that order. Definitely a sweet smell.

T: Sweet. Pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg. Not really getting any cinnamon though. Can't notice the hops. Almost has a vanilla taste on the way down. Aftertaste of pumpkin. Nice and clean.

M: Decent carbonation to taste. Crisp, leaves your mouth a bit wet (not labmic/wild wet, just not dry wet).

D: Definitely tasty, a decent brew to pick up to celebrate the autumn. It's not a heavy beer, but I'm sure I'll sip at it for the rest of the night...

Notice the 7.4 IBUs...