Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 08-30-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Maybe my favorite pumpkin beer to date. I am not a fan of pumpkin beers overall but this is nice and balanced.

Looks like a nice cider color but much clearer than cider with barely any head and some lacing, it's pretty.

Smell is like October with some subtle spices you'd expect in pumpkin beer but toned down to a nice tolerable level with ginger, clove and some cinnamon. If the aroma was bigger I'd like it a bit more. The taste has all that plus even more layers if spicy flavors and some sugary pastry notes. Quite tasty and balanced with maybe a little hop plant to support. Very nice taste. Mouth is good overall and spicy, semi full bodied.

A very tasty brew.

4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

Served in a tumbler.

My first pumpkin beer of this season. Right on. It pours a clear amber-tawn topped by a finger of cream-tan foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, light clove, bread, pumpkin seeds, and caramel. The taste seems to accentuate the spices, blending them all nicely together in a buttery caramel shell. Then, an equally strong blast of pure pumpkin comes in, balancing out the spices and showing that this beer's name is more than appropriate. Damn, does this taste good! The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda creamy feel. Overall, this is probably the best pumpkin beer I've ever had (other than TREAT, but I don't really put that in the pumpkin beer category). Get some.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Shared with IrishColonial. Poured into a standard pint

A: Pours a light, slightly cloudy copper color. No head or lacing to speak of. Looks flat. Disappointing.

S: Mmmmm, smells tasty. Cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar: standard pumpkin pie spices. It smells really good.

T: Brown sugar, cinnamon, light nutmeg and allspice. Definitely one of the spicier and sweeter pumpkin beers I have had. Hints of raw pumpkin round it out nicely. Good.

M: Maybe a touch undercarbonated and just a little syrupy. As stated earlier, there was no head or lacing on this beer, it poured as flat Keira Knightley (wife came up with that one). So there may have been something wrong with the bottle. The flavors are balanced nicely, I dock points simply because it drank slightly flat.

O: Frog's Hollow is another solid beer by Hoppin' Frog. Tilts toward the spicy/sweet side of the pumpkin style, but the flavors were balanced and well integrated. Definitely had a prominent cinnamon and brown sugar as well. If it weren't for slightly lackluster carbonation, this would have gotten a better review from me. As it is, it's definitely one of the better pumpkins I have had. I'll definitely revisit, though.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

I missed out on this offering last year, so I am quite looking forward to the bombers I picked up.

Appearence - No head whatsoever on the pour. Little to no lacing on the glass. A cloudy sunset orange color in the glass. Appears to have low carbonation. Poured into my Weyerbacher pint glass; as the site reccomends.

Smell - Brown sugar and pumpkin right away. A little heavier aroma of cinnamon than I expected. Smells sweet with vanilla hints and dessert notes. Best described as smelling like pumpkin pie.

Taste - Ahhh. This is the pumpkin beer I've been waiting for. I've had Ichabod, post road, smuttynose, shipyard, and many others. So far, they have all been tasty; but lacking in pumpkin taste. This Hoppin' Frog festive offering perfectly complements the recent cooling autumn nights. Awesome to drink with the changing weather. A punch of spice hits your throat at first. The traditional cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar attack my taste buds. Surprisingly, a sweetened vanilla bite is intertwined with what appears to be fresh mint. I could be wrong with the spice here, but I somehow taste fresh mint. It compliments the spices well as they transition over to strong, viny pumpkin. The pumpkin here is strengthened by the spices and vanilla and is just absolutely delicious.

Mouth feel and overall - The strong mixture of spices blends well with vanilla and pumpkin. The spice thankfully does not overpower the gourd notes. This is a welcoming change to some of the overspiced brews I've been experiencing. Medium-bodied. Sweet in all the right ways; like pumpkin pie. I will definitely be stocking my fridge with this brew until the snow covers the streets.

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into 4oz taster glass. Light golden amber in color with rapidly disappating white 1 finger head. Low levels of lacing. Pretty color, but lighter than most pumpkin ales I've had. As usual with Hoppin Frog, the label graphics on this one are pretty cool.

Smells of traditional pumpkin pie baking spices. Cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander and graham cracker-like malts. Very pleasant aromas on the nose.

Like the nose, the traditional pumpkin pie flavors come thru immediately. Like the aroma, I get decent doses of graham cracker malts and hints of roasted nuts, and sweet baking spices, perhaps some light brown sugar.

The typical pumpkin ale richness that I enjoy is missing here and flavors seemed to fade some on the finish. For a pumpkin ale, this one was just okay as compared to others I've had.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a lovely burnt orange color with a sadly disappointing lack of head, only splotchy off-white clumps. Scent is fantastic - strong notes of pumpkin pie (light vanilla and cream, grahmn crackery malts) with heavy seasonal spicing (cinnamon, nutmeg, clove). Taste leans heavily on the pie spices, almost overbearing by the time a 22oz bomber is ingested (blended the last 8oz or so with other beers to experiment). All notes from scent are present, just take a back seat to spice. Fuller side of medium bodied, extra creamy but a looong lingering aftertaste kicks the rating down a notch. Overall this beer needs a a little work... A touch less spice could go a long way.

4.97/5  rDev +29.4%

Pours a lovely orange-amber color, practically pumpkin colored, with practically no head. The smell is of definite pumpkin pie spices, with cinnamon and ginger with hints of nutmeg - a classic blend. The taste matches the smell pretty much, giving it a classic pumpkin pie taste. The flavor is well rounded with a smoother alcohol finish. The overall mouthfeel is fairly light, but still coats the mouth with flavors, and the higher ABV isn't overly noticeable either. Overall, this is a great example of a tasty, but not cloying, pumpkin beer. It's very well spiced, and avoids the trap of being a one note drink.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

A - This beer pours a slightly hazy perfect copper color. It has just a finger of off-white head on it. The head falls fairly fast, leaving no lacing behind.

S - The smell is like diving face first into a pumpkin pie. There is tons of nutmeg, cinnamon, and pumpkin. I really like the smell, I just hope the taste isn't as sweet as I think it's going to be.

T - Well, they did a good job of not making it overly sweet. The only thing is that it actually tastes a little watered down. The pumpkin flavors sort of rest in the background, while the cinnamon and nutmeg are at the forefront. I am also tasting some allspice, red apple, and brown sugar. There is some booziness present in the finish, as well as some lingering spice flavors.

M - This has a lighter body and lower carbonation. It is a tad watery, but goes down smooth none the less. There is a little bit of a tingling sensation on the back of the tongue from the spices.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down smooth and the flavor is very nice. Overall, I think it is a very nice pumpkin beer, and I could definitely see myself at thanksgiving dinner with a bottle of this. Also, the more I am drinking this, I am realizing that I am glad the body is on the lighter side. If it were any thicker it would be too much by the end. Anyways, I think this is a very nice example of the style, and I would buy it again.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Rich orange color was an absolute treat to look at. Some light haze and cloudiness to it, enough to make it look a bit thicker then I thought it would. A nice one inch head of white and fizzy foam came up over the top and settled down nicely into the glass leaving a good amount of side glass lace to mix around with the carbonation that could be seen streaking up.

The aroma was about as rich in pumpkin spice as you could possibly get. Huge notes of spices that just come whiffing up to the surface. This was an enormously good smelling beer. I swear if you could bottle the fall season, it would come close to this I am sure. The flavor was more of the same, rich in every sense of the word. Huge notes here of all spice, pumpkin, and hints of earthy grains. Tingling the tongue as it went down it was like a piece of pumpkin pie, which is about all that can be said

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

This beer pours out as a golden copper color, almost has a little amber tone as well. The head was nice and left a good lacing down the glass. The smell was spicy, lots of clove and some other autumn spices coming off of it. The taste was nearly all clove to me. I wasn't able to get much pumpkin at all from this brew. The flavors just didn't seem balanced in this one for me. The mouthfeel was pretty good. The overall on this brew is that there seemed to be too much of one spice coming through which hindered my thoughts on this brew.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Store had a couple of these left. Not sure how it would be since it comes out in fall. Shared a 22oz with friends in pint glasses.

A- Pours a shade or two darker than orange. Reminds me a little of pumpkins. Still has good amount of bubbles rising in it. Thin white head, but doesn't stick around to long.

S- Well if you like pumpkin pie, close your eyes and take in the aroma. Thought I should be watching the Lions play the Cowboys or something! Lots of spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, and clove. Not much else from the nose, hard to not savor those aromas.

T- Spices take over the taste from the start. Tend to push other flavors to the back. Get a small hint of pumpkin at the end in the flavor. Some slight bitterness along with sweet malts. Hard to get over the taste of a great season.

M- Medium body. Moderate carbonation, but not really noticeable. A little chewy at the end.

D- First taste of a pumpkin beer. Wasn't thinking it would be that close though. The aroma was amazing, really thought you had a pie in front of you! Very nicely done, wish we would have had a 2nd bottle to open up for sure.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks goes to sweem for picking this up for me. Bottle split into tulips.

A: Cloudy apple cider brown gold. Small white head, fast fading, leaves a tiny lace ring.

S: Smells like October. Pumpkin, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice. Sweet malt back bone. Hint of booze.

T: Pretty much a mirror of the nose. Full on spice and pumpkin. Maybe a touch over the top on the spices. Sweet malt and a hint of booze.

M: Medium creamy body. Mild carbonation.

O: This one is a bit much for a bomber. I had trouble finishing a full glass. Glad I split it.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Update: The 2011 version is extremely under-carbonated, border-lining still. I plan to let my second bottle sit for a couple months in hopes the bottle conditioning will add to the mouthfeel.

2010 edition thanks to brystmar for recommending/providing this in a trade.

Aromas of straight delicious pumpkin pie, but a little creamier, almost like a piece of pie with a dollop of whipped cream on top. Cinnamon, clove and a natural "pumpkin" aroma that doesn't smell faked or overdone. Light ginger is a good accent to the smell. Nutmeg isn't overdone which is key in my opinion.

Amazing complex yet not overdone spice presence. The malt comes shining through right away and gives a superb body and backbone to this brew; highlighted by caramel and slight nutty and breadiness. The finish has a spice bite, highlighted by ginger, clove and nutmeg. No sign of the alcohol at all, which is always impressive in any beer over 8% ABV.

The mouthfeel is complex yet not thick or cloying at all. Nicely balanced, nicely spiced. You can really appreciate this beer more and more with each sip. Lower than average carbonation is a slight detractor to this beer; it's not a deal breaker but for this ABV and style more carbonation should be present.

Overall this is a great pumpkin beer; really on par with Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin which I believe it the best pumpkin ale on the planet. This is in the top echelon as far as flavor goes in the Pumpkin beer category. Definitely worth seeking out and highly recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -12%

From bomber to Bruges hybrid glass on 2/11/11
*From notes

A: This one actually glows like a Jack-O'-Lantern when held to the light. It's a rich orange hue that when poured, only yields a pedestrian 1 finger head with passable lacing.

S: All spice and brown sugar. I also get an odd trace of Big League Chew bubble gum. Weird.

T: Melting butter on high heat - it's slightly burnt, though it also produces hints of roasted, canned pumpkin. Cinnamon and cardamom appear on the finish.

M: Slightly lighter then I'd prefer, and like most of Hoppin' Frog's offerings, it's got that bitingly sharp forced carbonation that turns me off.

O: I've had this one sitting in my cellar for a few months, and it has really helped this beer. I was initially dissapointed with it back in October, but a lot of that brash spicing has given way to a really mellow and smooth Pumpkin Ale. I won't be seeking it out next year, but won't roll my eyes if you or someone else decide to.

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Served in a Celebrator Stemmed Glass Tumbler, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with a small foamy off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing at all. Aroma is very strong and spicy, mostly like cinnamon and cloves but with some nutmeg, ginger and pumpkin noticeable too, Reminded me of a Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale. I can taste all the spices and pumpkin.The finish was very long and Nice and spicy. Fairly full bodied and smooth. The alcohol was well hidden. I think this is has moved into my "Top 3 Favorite Pumpkin Ales"

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Live review, as I've just opened up this bomber, which I got right from the brewery just before Christmas 2010. Poured at just below room temp.

I knew that at this ABV level, getting a head would be more difficult, so I moderated the pour in order to get at least a bit over a finger's worth. It is egg shell colored, but very short lived. A swirl will bring up some foam, but there's no stickage .. no lacing. I've home brewed beers of this ABV and had lots of long lasting head which left lots of lacing, so this is a bit disappointing coming from Frog land.

The nose is pretty bodacious, with all those spices mentioned on the front label (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and clove) melding together. The spices pretty much make up the entire nose.

The taste is very much like the nose ... pretty spicy. There is some malty sweetness which makes it through the pumpkin pie spices, but that's about it. There is a definite warming feeling while quaffing this bad boy. I think its a combo of the cinnamon and the ABV linking up.

The mouthfeel is a little thin for my tastes. On top of that, the carbonation level is a bit high, which, combined with the warming spices, makes it a little "bitey" on the palate. More body and lower carbonation would really help this beer out. I'd put the mouthfeel at half way between thin and medium.

Drinkability is not a strong suit for these types of seasonals. The flavor overload will make a single bomber enough to sate the appetite for all but the most ardent pumpkin aficianados. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the bomber by myself, and enjoyed it. I wouldn't go back for a second, but that's me.

With Hoppin Frog, I've set the bar pretty high, as I always expect to be overwhelmed by Fred's beers. This brew isn't in the same league as BORIS or DORIS, or even Mean Manalishi, but it does have its place in a seasonal rotation. Definitely worth picking up during the time its available.

Na Zdravje!

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to Draught2012 for bringing this over when we watched some football.

Poured with a fairly thin white head that also dissipated rather quickly. A bright clear amber color with lots of orange tones. No lacing to speak of.

Aroma was a nice mix of classic fall spices and lots of sweetness. In this one I think you can also smell that actual pumpkin and not just the spices.

Brown sugar is at center stage here. A toasted sugar sweetness that melds nicely with the nutmeg, close and cinnamon. I did not think it was over spiced and thought the balance was pretty good. Pumpkin, spice and some brown sugar all played together pretty well.
In the finish you can detect the elevated abv. Just a sense.

Body was a little thinner than I would have hoped for the flavor, but fine. Slick in your mouth with very subtle carbonation.

Nice beer. Doesn't knock Pumking or DFH Punkin off the top two spots for me, but nice none the less.

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a small white head that quickly goes t a thin collar.

The aroma is sweet pumpkins, floral perfume, and some spices (ginger, nutmeg?).

The flavor is sweet pumpkin pie with a good amount of spices (nutmeg) and a little weird plastic/metallic bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and a bit watery.

Overall, a decent pumpkin beer. I remember liking this a lot more on tap at GABF - at that point it was one of my favorite pumpkin beers. Not sure if I got a bad bottle, or if it's just better on tap, or if I had a few too many at GABF by that point, but this is just OK. It's a bit flat and overly sweet with some off notes.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

A= Dark yellow in color a little hazy. It had a small head that kind of disappeared.

S= You smell the pumpkin and cinnamon in this one nice nose.

T= Decent taste the pumpkin didn't come out as much as I hoped for but decent.

M= Limited carbonation in this beer kind of hurt the beer made it oily.

D= The drinkability was decent wouldn't want more than one from this style of beer period. Hoppin' Frog's was good but I liked Southern Tier's better.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Drank this beer with some others of this brewerie last friday when i was at the Kulminator in Antwerpen.

Almost no head and the fluid is cloudy darkyellow. Pumpkin all a round with some cinnamon and ginger. This is a very fruity beer and i liked every sip of it. Never had a pumpkin ale but i liked this one.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Another Thanksgiving day treat split with Jwiss22. Love pumpkin beers and how much better they make fresh pumpkin pie taste. Here goes...

A- A very nice pour yields a darker amber color that is not expected, but very appealing to gaze at. Darker than pumking and looks just as appetizing. A very nice stream of bubbles presents a thin white head that dissipates quickly. I love how it looks reminds me faintly of lighter pumpkin bread. Can't wait to indulge.

S- Right away a greeting of fresh pumpkins followed by nutmeg, cinnamon and I want to say clove. Quite intriguing and lovely to smell. I am picking up more of the spices as it warms they are overpowering the pumpkin and leaving it in the back. It's making me drool as this is one of my favorite seasonal styles.

T- Tons of the nutmeg, cinnamon and other spiciness used in pumpkin pies. Lovely taste not a lot of pumpkins very faint because it is dominated by the spices used. As it warms I get a subtle crust taste, but not as much as I would like because the spices take over.

M- Coats the mouth and leaves you awaiting your next sip. The carbonation is there and melds well with all the spices leaving them lingering around. Enjoyable, but a little chewier than others, probably the malt bill chiming in to leave it fuller bodies than some pumpkin brews.

D- As like most of this style its a desert beer not a session beer. It is to be enjoyed with pumpkin pies, sweet potato pies, cranberry sauce. For the high abv its fairly drinkable, but I will stick to the tried and true Pumking for now.

A great representation for the style, up there with the greats of this style. Very pleasing and would try again next season to see if the recipe changes. Would like more pumpkin less spice or maybe even a vanilla pinch to throttle down the cinnamon and nutmeg.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

22oz bomber into a snifter

A: Pours on the dark side of amber with a small off-white head that faded to near nothing very quickly with no real lacing. Would be nice to see a creamier head that sticks around...

S: The nose is full of pumpkin pie spices in the form of nutmeg, cinammon, and allspice. There's also a good pumpkin presence in the background.

T: Flavors of nutmeg, allspice, and pumpkin hit your pallate at first and lead to a very sweet candy-like finish. A bit sweeter here than I was expecting but still pretty tasty.

M: Here's where the limited carbonation hurts the beer. You can barely detect any when taking a sip which makes the beer feel oily.

D: The ABV and sweetness make this tough to drink a lot of it.

This is one and done for me but I would recommend it if you like Imperial Pumpkin Ales. It's got all the spices and pumpkin you could ask for.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

09/28/10- Had a bomber of this when it came out.
A: Hazy dark amber with a nice collar.
S: Roasted pumpkin, spices like pumpkin pie, green hops and a very slight cider. Welcoming and not over-the-top.
T: Cleansing subtle pumpkin pie (but mostly just pumpkins, like old-fashioned homemade pumpkin pie) and cider. Not to get poetic, but this beer tastes like Autumn. Nice body with a slight ginger characteristic. Wow. This is a pumpkin ale done right.
M: Thinner, but cleansing.
D: Really good.

3.28/5  rDev -14.6%

Received this brew from jampics2 in a recent trade as an extra. I do love a good Pumpkin Ale and I've been wanting to try this one for quite some time. Drank from my Port Brewing pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a surprisingly light yellowish orange with a bit of chill haze and really no head to speak of. A thin collar remains with no cap and no lacing.
Smell- Definitely no mistaking this is a Pumpkin Ale. The pumpkin is a plenty with a nice acorn squash like character and some sort of a toasted graham cracker thing. The spices are pretty prevalent as well with a lot of clove, cinnamon and ginger. The ginger and clove really stand out.
Taste- This brew is 90% spice, 10% pumpkin. Starts with a fairly substantial sweetness that is lightly tart and a little out of place. The ginger seems to be just as potent in the taste as it is in the nose as it has that spicy sort of ginger zing. A bit of clove is present as well and honestly, I get little to no pumpkin. There is a light touch of caramel and vanilla in the finish but it's too sweet and cloying for my tastes.
Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy body with a nice crisp zing of carbonation.
Drinkability- Uh, not the best. It's too sweet and oddly tart for my liking. I need a bit of pumpkin in the flavor to balance all those spices. Not sure about that tartness though. I'm thinking maybe it's an over abundance of ginger but it's weird and not really proper for a pumpkin beer. The only real strength of the beer is the fact that it's damn near 8.5% and I don't get a touch of booze. Thanks very much for the opportunity Bobby!

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Strong aroma has a strong spicy overtone, mainly cinnamon, with pumpkin and subtle malty tones as well. It pours a pretty clear amber with a thick, fluffy, fairly persistent white head. Flavor is malty and spicy with a nice pumpkin-pie overtone and a hint of caramel. Texture is rather fizzy, leaving a spicy finish and a tingle that hangs around for a little bit. This is an excellent autumn beer, perfect for Halloween or Thanksgiving!

Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery