Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Ohio, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 08-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
4.21/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance: clear straw colored. Nearly no head at all.
Smell: ummm...pumpkin pie. As advertised, allspice, nutmeg, cloves. Very nice.
Taste: man, this is nice. Like drinking pumpkin pie. All the spices of the nose very nicely balanced.
Overall: one of the best pumpkin brew IMO. This'll be on Thanksgiving table next year. (323 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottle shared by Jason.

Lightly hazy orange-amber colour, ring of white head, light lace as well. Smell is of cinnamon candy or Big Red gum initially, nutmeg, ginger, bits of pumpkin and a nice bready malt note as well. Taste is cinnamon up front followed by citrus and fruit, a really nice malt presence, ginger and nutmeg , bits of pumpkin but for the most part is fairly subtle. Medium carbonation, medium feel. A nice spicy pumpkin beer, something meant to be shared for sure though. (489 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Aggressive pour yields less than 1/4" of snow white head, with very little retention. Brew is crystal clear, gold, slightly orange in color.

Smells sweet with a nice presence of vanilla. All aspects of pumpkin pie spice are present as well; cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, etc. It's all there. Pumpkin scent is not dominant, but it's there in the mix.

Tastes even sweeter than the smell, but balanced extremely well. The pumpkin is more present in the taste, and the vanilla is still there. It's spicy, but it's very appropriate for the pumpkin sweetness. It honestly reminds me of pumpkin pie with Cool Whip.

Mouthfeel is light, but creamy. Slight warming of alcohol. Good brew, but I'm glad I'm not going to finish the whole bomber by myself.

I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers, so I am reviewing this in respect to the style. This is one of the best pumpkin beers I've ever had. (925 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Picked up a 22oz bomber from Matt at Capone's. Poured into my HopDevil pint glass.

Appearance: Quick pour builds up a nice head which recedes quickly. Brew is a dark amber color, letting a decent amount of light through. Clear. About what I would expect for a bolder version of a pumpkin ale. Minimal lacing. That never bothers me though.

Smell: Spicy. Clove, Nutmeg, Allspice, Cinnamon, a hint of Vanilla? I don't pick up much pumpkin in the nose, but I give them the benefit of the doubt that it's in there.

Taste: Pretty spicy. It all comes together well though. This is also where the pumpkin comes out of hiding. It's barely noticeable in the nose but it shines in the flavor. The brew leans heavier towards the spices, but the malty backbone and pumpkin flavor balance it out pretty well.

Mouthfeel: For how dark the beer is, the mouthfeel is pretty thin. Not watery, I wouldn't go that far, but the malt doesn't give off a very full body. Carbonation is good. Warmth from the alcohol is there, but faint.

Drinkability: No problem polishing off the bomber. Wish I had more. The thin body seemed like a bit of a let down at first, but I think that lends itself to being more of a drinkable double pumpkin ale and I don't mind that at all since it was so tasty.

Probably going to buy a case of these to last me through October. Second favorite Imperial Pumpkin. Definitely try it. (1,391 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured into a SA Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours a faint orange color almost like the inside of a pumpkin, with a 1 finger head which slowly dissipates to a layer of bubbles almost leaving a fine lacing.

S: Definitely pumpkin smelling. So much pumpkin scent in fact, that it's rather difficult to find anything else in the nose. A little bit of spices present with a sweet sensation, but again, pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin.

T: Whoa. Like the nose in that most up front is the pumpkin. This is followed by some other fruitiness with a light maltiness and a slight burn to it as it goes down.

M: A lighter feeling beer with a low amount of carbonation. Sits nicely on the front of the tongue after sipping, while leaving a little bit of a tingling sensation on the back of the tongue after swallowing.

D: Very drinkable. This will definitely be on my beer list for the next fall season. (884 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +12.7%

The look isn't happening. It's a clearish burnt orange. I got no head whatsoever, maybe a few bubbles.

The smell is what I'm looking for in a pumpkin beer. Not so much the pumpkin but the pumpkin spices. Cinnamon and cloves dominate the nose, but in a good way. There is a maltiness to it that brings balance.

Stellar taste. The spices hit the tongue hard but nothing is offensive. The maltiness shines here too, bringing the same balance to the drink. Kind of bready with some alcohol in the finish.

Not a lot of complexity. Very spice forward. A bit sticky early on but it eases in the swallow.

I could drink this every night and be happy about it. I've had a lot of fall seasonals and this is pretty much spot on for Halloween or Thanksgiving. (752 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13%

Bomber of this fine elixir into a Duvel tulip...

First pour heads up nicely, but doesn't keep it together for too long. Body is rather clear with a light bourbon color, reminiscent of powdered cloves or nutmeg. Carbonation is moderately present and quick.

The spice is a little more powerful today than in previous rounds of this (nutmeg and clove again). However, it still smells like beer. I can think of a moderate pininess (of course at 7.3 IBUs it may be just my imagination running away from me). Malts are slightly Germanic with a nice balsa wood dryness. There's still a little pumpkin sweetness that the allspice squeezes out as well.

The taste is where this comes together. Sure, there are the aforementioned spices, but they come together nicely in a package that's still definitely a well-crafted, well-balanced beer. Probably the best example of Beautiful Chemistry for the style. Extremely tasty and smooth. I like the way the nutmeg dries it out as well.

Palate feel is well-put together also. Although dry as previously mentioned, it still has some decent viscosity and a nice amount of alcohol. Not a burn, but a little weight. Dryness and carbonation mesh with the spiciness to create something with a nice spring in its step that won't fill you up any further on Thanksgiving.

I'm thinking the "overall impression" of this is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. This is enjoyable as hell and I have to anoint this as my new favorite in the Pumpkin category. Sure, it has a little weight to it, but the balance and smoothness do it very well. If you enjoy pumpkin beers this is a must-snag. (1,623 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a shaker: Medium orange-copper, transparent, with nearly no head, just a collar. Nice color.

Strong clove & nutmeg in the aroma, along with a kind of orange peel potpourri character. Very much an "autumn candle" sort of smell, very forward.

Taste is surprisingly complex: Ginger, autumn spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar), with a pleasantly bracing booze sharpness & a character in the finish like angostura bitters. Many of the notes found in other pumpkin ales, but more pronounced & with some interesting new ones. Good stuff!

Medium-full bodied with a nice warming from the booze.

I'm impressed! I don't run into many great pumpkin ales any more, but this one's really doing the trick. Again, very complex & with some new qualities. Still don't know if it's in the running with Pumking, but it's not too far behind - just a very different beer. (868 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Poured from a bottle to an imperial pint glass. Had a dark orange color and a mostly clear consistency. There was a fizzy head that quickly dissipated. Not much lacing.

S: A big, enticing aroma of pumpkin, spices, and malt.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, cinnamon, malt, and couple of other spices. One of the most vibrant, focused and flavorful pumpkin ales I've tried.

M: Could have used a little more carbonation. Dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An immensely drinkable brew. (474 characters)

Review 1-19-10
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A - Caramel colored, ok carbonation poured to one finger of foam

S - Sweet cinnamon spices. Fair amount of hops and malts

T - Light bodied compared to some of the other pumpkin brews I have had and also smooth when going down. Noticed the spices on the tongue but yet smooth

M/D - I very tasty brew from Hoppin Frog, it isn't an over powering pumpkin ale. It shares a great blend of spices and malts. Smooth going down with no real after taste. Great Ale to enjoy and share, perfect fall seasonal which will add to my radar for purchasing again (602 characters)

Served in a tumbler.

My first pumpkin beer of this season. Right on. It pours a clear amber-tawn topped by a finger of cream-tan foam. The nose comprises cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, light clove, bread, pumpkin seeds, and caramel. The taste seems to accentuate the spices, blending them all nicely together in a buttery caramel shell. Then, an equally strong blast of pure pumpkin comes in, balancing out the spices and showing that this beer's name is more than appropriate. Damn, does this taste good! The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda creamy feel. Overall, this is probably the best pumpkin beer I've ever had (other than TREAT, but I don't really put that in the pumpkin beer category). Get some. (743 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Maybe my favorite pumpkin beer to date. I am not a fan of pumpkin beers overall but this is nice and balanced.

Looks like a nice cider color but much clearer than cider with barely any head and some lacing, it's pretty.

Smell is like October with some subtle spices you'd expect in pumpkin beer but toned down to a nice tolerable level with ginger, clove and some cinnamon. If the aroma was bigger I'd like it a bit more. The taste has all that plus even more layers if spicy flavors and some sugary pastry notes. Quite tasty and balanced with maybe a little hop plant to support. Very nice taste. Mouth is good overall and spicy, semi full bodied.

A very tasty brew. (671 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +14%

Man.Open the bottle and it smell like warm Pumpkin pie. I was ready to eat. Pour it to the bottle nice mid amber in color. The taste is awsome. Pumpkin flavor everywhere and not to heavy in spices you can taste the pumpkin in every sip. Sucks don't have pumpkin pie on hand to drink this with. Boy this is a good beer. This is a must try for anyone that haven't try this beer. (376 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +14%

My stupidity put me on a bus going the wrong way not too long ago. Fortunately for me, I realized there was a Binny's I had never been to. This Binny's, the one on Grand, was not the biggest but they did have the seasonal I've been waiting for for a while now. It lasted less than two weeks in my fridge before I grabbed it and decided to pour it into my brandy snifter.

Vision
Standard characteristics of a pumpkin ale here. Crisp white bubbles that lasted only a few seconds before leaving the barest resemblance of a collar. Burnt-orange to rust colored body reveal a few columns of never-ending carbonation.

Bouquet
This beer turned me into a time traveler. I swear I was sitting at Thanksgiving 2009 with my eyes close, inhaling deeply the pumpkin pie in front of me. It is identical to every pie that has ever been baked in my presence. That strong pumpkin aroma laced with ginger and cinnamon help stir positive emotions like few beers can. And who can forget the nutmeg. They stand alone as well as together upon every sniff.

The cloves are strong players as well, but they bring up the caboose of this pleasure train. I'm very impressed with this beer. It met my expectations and exceeded them with ease. It is not just spices, it is not just pumpkin. It is the harmonizing of the pumpkin lead singer and spice back-up choir.

Taste
The flavors from this beer are outrageous. Subtle while not losing their unique characteristics. The first train car to pass over my lingual muscle is a dessert car. I feel like they took the spirit of pumpkin pie and nailed it. It is that wonderful flavor combination that can not be mistaken for anything else.

Dissecting it further, it is initially pumpkin and cinnamon twirling in an intricate dance with no fumbles to note. Nutmeg peeks its little head out of the second car as the memory of cinnamon and pumpkin fade to the background.

The last car to pass the station is got to be the cloves. This bitter caress that is seemingly unique. There are sweet notes with it, but it is principally a bitter flavor.

Oral Sensations
I wasn't expecting the body that flowed through my mouth tonight. I want to call it full in texture, but its not quite there yet. It is deceivingly close to being full in nature. It feels smooth, comforting. It is like my favorite pair of pajamas after a long day of dress clothes.

It lingers on my palate, on the roof of my mouth, on my lips, on everything! It is welcome because of the gentle sweetness that constantly perks up.

Conclusions
I'm amazed. Truly amazed. The alcohol only comes out in the slight heat I feel at the back of my neck. It is easy to down, and if I am not careful I find myself sipping this quicker than most beers due to its deliciousness.

Hoppin' Frog finally hit a home run in my book, and I am definitely going to pick this one up to share with others. To sum it up, smells great, tastes great, looks okay, and drinks well. (2,941 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a small snifter. Tiny bubbles, frothy light beige head atop a light amber/copper body. Aroma is malty sweet with some sweet spicing also some mild pumpkin rind, some pulp and some brown sugary sweetness. Taste is lightly spicy, nice pumpkin pie crust. Sort of toes the line between pumpkin and pumpkin pie as far as pumpkin beers go. Very drinkable for the high abv and certainly one of the best pumpkin beers out there. I'm not saying that its better than Pumking, but great. (516 characters)

reviewed from notes
This is aged for 1 year before I cracked it open... Let's see how we did...

This is the best pumpkin beer I've ever had.
Glowing orange, translucent body. Thin whitish head quickly subsided to a thin cloud of bubbles leaving behind some spotty lacing.
The nose is HUGE pumpkin flesh... Then some cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and a touch of dry alcohol.
The taste is pumpkin pie in a blender. The flavor is everything I would want from a pumpkin beer. Huge flavors of pumpkin and spice with a lightly sweet malt base.
As we warm up I get a little nuttiness, pecans perhaps?

Decently sweet all the way through.

Mouthfeel is nice and holds good carbonation despite the poor head on the pour.

I generally don't like pumpkin beers, but this is the best I've had-- of course, that ONLY goes for an aged bottle! Fresh I was less than impressed! (868 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

Bought this bottle in early October in Columbus, $7.99. Cool froggy bottle with some text on the label that mimics an old Black Sabbath song called Lady Evil. Probably too obscure for most people, especially decades after it came out, but you can't fool me.

The beer is penny copper color, clear, with about 2 fingers of whitish foam. The dominant smells are spices like you'd find in gingerbread cookies and pumpkin pie (per the label: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and clove). The taste is exceptionally good, often these spices are overdone in a pumpkin ale but this beer has enough pale malt sweetness to balance the spices. That might be why it's called a double pumpkin ale, there's enough malt to add body (and ABV) to this beer to combat the spice, making this probably my favorite of the style. I'll look for it again next year. (844 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into my favorite personalized goblet.

A: deep amber color with very little head, even with a vigorous pour. Lacing is minimal. Some random floaties mingle amongst the bubbly carbonation.

S: Pumpkin, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and even hints of piecrust (presumably from toasted malt), like a slice of Thanksgiving Day. By the time I fill my goblet for the third time there is a greater presence of alcohol and at 8.4% I'm not surprised.

T: Liquid Thanksgiving. Not sure I can describe it any better than that. The pumpkin and spices are in near perfect balance and incredibly natural- nothing artificial about the flavors.

M: Medium to full bodied with a long lingering finish. Slightly dry on that finish, but boy does it linger.

D: Frog's Hollow is a wonderful version of the style. It may not look as beautiful as ST Pumking or DFH Punkin Ale, but it tastes every bit as good. The balanced flavors of pumpkin and spice keep my mouth watering through the entire bottle. I'll be sure to look for more of this brew in the fall, along with my other favorites mentioned above. (1,105 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

enjoyed during an impromptu pumpkin tasting. orangey amber hue. scent is a punch of nutmeg and kiss of pumpkin. taste is more subtle but extremely enjoyable. hint of alcohol. smiley face on the note pad. have to stock up on this one as we have a few moons till thanksgiving. (274 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm a big fan of Hoppin Frog's Boris the Crusher, so i was thrilled to find this offering. 750ml into a tulip.
A- beautiful opaque amber with surprisingly little head
S- all my favorite pumpkin flavors: malt, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe some ginger?
T- well supported by aromas. Pumpkin hits first, followed by lingering malt accented by spices.
M- Finishes with subtle carbonation and lingering syrupy sweetness.
O- this will probably be one of my last pumpkins of the season, and its a very enjoyable one to go out on. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next year. (576 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

09/28/10- Had a bomber of this when it came out.
A: Hazy dark amber with a nice collar.
S: Roasted pumpkin, spices like pumpkin pie, green hops and a very slight cider. Welcoming and not over-the-top.
T: Cleansing subtle pumpkin pie (but mostly just pumpkins, like old-fashioned homemade pumpkin pie) and cider. Not to get poetic, but this beer tastes like Autumn. Nice body with a slight ginger characteristic. Wow. This is a pumpkin ale done right.
M: Thinner, but cleansing.
D: Really good. (493 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours straight orange, clear, very nice but lacks any head to speak of, there's no retention, and no lacing, so a little disappointed with the appearance. Smell is toffee, buttery crackers, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Taste is fantastic. Sweetness initially, which fades into flavor..Buttery cracker crust, pumpkin, nutmeg, allspice, a bit of spice from clove and ginger. A little more sweetness squeaks through here and there to add to the complexity. Very nice, delicious. Firm, creamy, medium mouthfeel. Alcohol is noticeable, but in a good way, in that it lets you know your drinking an imperial ale and not eating grandma's state fair blue ribbon pumpkin pie. Well balanced, and finish isn't cloying at all, its sweet at times, but you wouldn't describe Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin as 'sweet', and that's what makes it extra good, and hence, this bad boy is right up there and maybe surpassing my all time favorite Pumking. (923 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is an excellent pumpkin beer. One of the best, if not THE BEST pumpkin beer I've ever had and definitely the best I've had this year.

The strong scent of pumpkin spices carries through to the flavor, without being overpowering. The actual pumpkin lends a smoothness to both the taste and texture. While it's 8.4% ABV, there's no booziness.

This is just a smooth, balanced, tasty beer that I will seek out again and happily recommend to others. (450 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +16.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler. Marks the first pumpkin of a number that I have stocked up for the next month. No dating on the bottle.

A- aggressive pour yield a minuscule head, but carbonation looks to be OK if minimal. Not a good start. (second pour is crispy, active carbonation that subsides quickly. not normal for a beer...more like champagne?)

S- Bottle states this has Cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and clove. This myriad comes together in a strong nose that flows from the glass. Think I'm getting more cinnamon than anything else, but it's tough to distinguish here.

T- The montage arrives. Sweet (albeit thin) malts hit the palate along with a blast of spices. Well melded - there's nothing overpowering. Well balanced spices, and not over the top. Definitely multi-dimensional in contrast to many "one trick pony" pumpkin beers that rely on 1 spice. Maybe I've been drinking too many oktoberfests, but I swear this is based off of one. The body is surprisingly small / thin for something this big, but that's not a bad thing.

M- feels good. Carbonation is muted, as the pours would suggest. Smooth on the tongue.

D- for a (comparatively) big pumpkin beer, this is highly drinkable. Spices are not tedious, which is a plus. Compared to the likes of a Weyerbacher imperial pumpkin or Southern Tier pumpking I can put a bomber of this back much easier (granted I believe those are higher ABV).

Overall a great pumpkin beer. Honestly not what I was expecting from Hoppin Frog, but very solid all around. Thought this would be bigger - it's huge on taste, but the body is kept small enough that its a drinker vs. a sipper. Well done, Hoppin Frog, and at a fair price point. (1,696 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer has been hanging around my beer fridge for several months. Always I found another beer to drink. Wish I had tried this beer sooner. The beer has been chilled since October of 09. The beer was served in a wide mouthed chalice.

Appearance: The beer has a clear orange coloration. The head of the beer is biege and quickly resolves. Specs of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: There is pumpkin lurking around in this bready beer. The spice mix in the beer is well done brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamon. Well done!

Taste: The flavor of the beer closely mirrors the aroma. The spices are well incorporated. The beer is a bit sweet no hops are really noted to tame the sweetness; however, the spices keep the sweetness in check.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is almost full. The body is also very smooth and slick. The beer disappeared from my glass rapidly. I look forward to having this beer again come the Hallows season. Well Done!.... (990 characters)

Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery