Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Ohio, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: orbitalr0x on 08-30-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

From: Tenuta's, Kenosha, WI
Date: None, 2012 release
Glass: Standard US pint glass

Frog's Hollow was a surprisingly not-as-heavy-as-expected double pumpkin ale, with an amount of ginger that I normally don't notice in other pumpkin beers. The flavors and aromas were of modest pumpkin and associated spices, with light malts/malt sweetness and a hint of graininess in the background. While I generally enjoyed this beer, I don't know if I'd bother to pick it up again at the $8 price point, especially when a 6-pack of Schlafly is available for $11.

Pours a 1.5cm head of fairly clean, white lacing that dissipates fairly rapidly, average or below in retention. Lacing is fairly minimal, a few spots dot the inner perimeter of the glass. Body is a fairly light, golden orange color, with light bringing out paler orange hues. Carbonation is visible through the transparent body, appears fairly active.

Aroma is of fairly modest pumpkin with ginger, which I can detect with some ease. Malt sweetness is fairly minimal, a bit surprising considering this is a "double" pumpkin ale. In general, I thought this was an interesting set of scents for a pumpkin beer, though it could have been more pronounced and not suffer at all.

The beer's flavor is a fairly straightforward, enjoyable blend of relatively light malt sweetness, pumpkin pie spices, and a bit of grain. Not has heavy or as deep/rich/complex as I expected or would have liked from a "double" ale. Opens with light malt sweetness and ghostly cinnamon and ginger. Mid-palate finds slightly deeper malt sweetness/complexity with continued, but more pronounced, cinnamon and ginger. Slight ethanol becomes evident in the late mid-palate through back of palate and close. Lingering aftertaste of some graininess and residual cinnamon/ginger flavors.

Beer is medium bodied, with medium to medium-light levels of carbonation. The result is a surprisingly light body for a "double" ale, fairly smooth-flowing and marginally crisp. Closes semi-dry with modest stickiness remaining across the palate. Somewhat disappointing, was expecting a bigger body on this beer, while the one I found was more appropriate to a "single" pumpkin ale. (2,190 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -9%

Hoppin' Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin. Found this guy in a bomber about a week ago. I've recently gotten into pumpkin beers, after shying away from them for a number of years. They're an acquired taste, to be certain, but they can be quite tasty, if you know what you're getting into. First thing I notice when pouring the beer is the clarity. Brewing with pumpkin you would expect it to be cloudy, but that's not the case. Color is a crystal clear orange. (It's a pumpkin beer - what did you expect?) Fizzy head that recedes quickly. Aroma is nutmeg, allspice, pumpkin, and maybe some cinnamon. Smells like pumpkin pie. Taste is more bready and caramel, like pie crust, chased by a heavy dose of more nutmeg, allspice, clove, and cinnamon. First taste and the pumpkin flavor kind of gets lost behind a heavy wall of spice. Lots of alcohol warm in the finish, which works given the taste profile. For something that calls itself a "double" pumpkin, I find that particular flavor getting lost, which is too bad because that's my favorite part of this style of beer. For an imperial I find that this lacks body, as it's kind of watery, which is also somewhat disappointing. Overall it's a nice take on the style but nothing earth shattering. Somewhat disappointed by this, though that may be because I've had some exemplary versions of this style in the past. (1,356 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours into my glass an autumnal copper orange. Not much head to speak of, just a little ring around the top of the glass. Aromas start out with sweet malts intertwining with lots of spice flavors. Ginger, cinnamon and clove are the most prevalent. Vegetal underneath with a touch of caramel.

First sip brings sweet caramelized malts upfront with a bevy of spices rushing across the palate. Bold ginger meets clove, cinnamon and nutmeg. Somewhat vegetal midway through that's reminiscent of pumpkin meat. Flows down with a big lingering spicy kick and a touch of crisp sweetness with ginger in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy with good carbonation. Goes down smooth and the alcohol is well hidden throughout. Overall, I found this to be a spice forward pumpkin ale that didn't come together as nicely as some others I've had. Lots of ginger lingers on with each sip. Worth a shot, but I wish the spices were toned down a bit. (948 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2013 vintage. Pours a hazy auburn with a small white head that fades extremely quickly and doesn't leave much retention or lacing; nice color though. The aromas are very vibrant with the usual suspects consisting of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. There's also a nice amount of honey in the nose as well. The flavors have a very solid amount of the typical spices in the mix, but there are malts that cut them down, giving the flavors balance. There's a subtle spiciness to this one. Hints of caramel as well, giving it a subtle sweetness. Slightly bitter, giving this one some earthy flavors as well. Mouthfeel is on the fuller side, but far from heavy. The carbonation is there, but not overboard. No booze or alcohol is noticeable.

It's been a couple years since I've had this one. It's good and is what you would expect from an Imperial Pumpkin Ale. They don't try anything flashy or different with this one. It's just straight forward. Solid fall beer.

Notes: This beer won a Gold medal at the 2010 GABF. (1,011 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy copper, reddish-orange. Not much head to speak of here...very thin lacing along the edges of the glass.

The aroma, at first, reminds me of bubblegum. Behind that initial smell, there are hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, clove...well, all the elements listed on the label, really. Those spices are balanced with an odd, fruity aroma that is reminiscent of bubblegum.

The spices hit first in the flavor...cinnamon and nutmeg in the forefront, along with vanilla. It is sweet, and kind of reminds me of eggnog. There is a melon flavor in there, along the lines of honeydew. And I can't shake the bubblegum characteristic to this beer...it seems to linger around every corner.

If this beer is going for a pie-esque, sweet flavor, it has come close to the mark. My one complaint is that the beer is almost too sweet. The malt and hop character takes too much of a backseat to the strong spices involved in this brew.

Overall, is it drinkable? Yes. In fact, the warming effect of the alcohol is quite pleasant on a nice Fall night (which is what beers of this style are meant for, right?). If you like the spices associated with pumpkin pie, and are a fan of the sweeter side of beer, this one is for you. (1,221 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a dark orange hue with almost no head.

Pumpkin is detected on the nose, with some other faint fall spices; coriander, cinnamon, etc... These notes are accompanied with a piney-citrus smell as well.

The taste resembles a pretty good pumpkin ale. There is a good balanced flavor between the fall-type flavors of pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon - which are detected on the first taste - and the aftertaste which is fairly piney, hoppy. I like the flavor of this brew and would rank it in my top five pumpkin ales of the season.

The mouthfeel is a bit sub-par IMO. The beer seems a bit flat, non-carbonated and lackin in complexity. For 8.4% ABV, the beer seems very easily drinkable and sessionable. I was hoping for something a bit heavier and heartier.

This is a drinkable beer. I'm glad I tried it, and as said before, I will place this in my top-5 favorite pumpkin ales. But I would probably not seek this beer out again in anticipation of its release. (961 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an ovesized wine glass. Pours a pumpkin orange with very little head, and what head there is disappears almost immediately.

Has an intense, almost cloyingly-so spice smell; cinnamon and clove, green apple, banana and lemon. Where's the pumpkin?

Taste is intense and fruity; apple, pumpkin, spice, and grass, ending slightly sour. No bitterness at all, and only mild malt. The beer ends with some alcohol burn in the belly.

Mouthfeel is rather thin, which I find to be typical of this style.

Drinkable enough, but this is no Pumpking or Punkin. Was happy to see this local brewer win an award at the GABF, though. (648 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

A nice copper colored pour that yields a two-fingered off-white head. Retention and lacing are both pretty good.

The smell is dominated by spices, there is definitely some pumpkin hiding around in there as well. This melds nicely into the nose, but the taste is just a bit over-spiced.

There isn't quite enough body to bring all the spricing together very well, and the carbonation is a bit higher than I would have liked it.

Because of the mouthfeel and the over spicing, drinkability is just average, I had no problems finishing this bomber but I doubt I'll grab another any time soon. (591 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Color seems light compared to other pumpkin ales. Not an overwhelming pumpkin smell...taste is not overly pumpkin either ....the texture is light and smooth...the
Alcohol by volume isn't really noticeable , I would have this for a session ...overall I am pleased with this beer and would purchase again (303 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.1%

Nice amber color with no head to speak of. Almost overwhelming aromas of pumpkin, nutmeg, and something vaguely describable as banana-cinnamon. Rich pumpkin flavor hits the mouth right away, and fades slowly into nutmeg and hops. Reminds me of eating a slice of pumpkin pie with the crust at the end.

I have to admit a bias toward this brewery in general, and also to pumpkin ales as a style. This is a solid example, though not my favorite. I'd say it's a little spicier than I'd like, but still good. Not as sweet as some others, which is a plus in this case. (562 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%

A - Looks like a well steeped glass of sweet tea with not much going on up top.

S - Likely had the best aroma of any pumpkin brew I've had. Vibrant spicing with well pronounced supporting scents.

T - 1st thing that hits me is a weak Bourbon taste followed by fairly well thought out spicing with a good measure of nutmeg, clove, allspice and pumpkin.

M - Full bodied with zesty carbonation and a touch of sweet aftertaste.

O - I felt this was probably the best thought out pumpkin brew I've had. Good balance and tasty. (524 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%

Presentation: 22oz brown pop top bomber, nice label, no date, but this is from last season at the least, as we picked it up in January and then forgot about it. Oops!

Appearance: Bright, attractive pumpkin-orange hue, nice clarity, but the medium white cap fades to the scantest hint of a ring in about 30 seconds.

Smell: One of the sweetest, spiciest pumpkin beers I've come across yet. Sweet, slightly earthy, and big allspice notes. Pretty straightforward, but pleasant.

Taste: Sweet and TONS of spice (allspice). Spice spice spice. Earthy, fruity characteristics as well. Light alcoholic notes, and a bit of brown sugar. A bit different, but nothing offensive really.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, and slightly alcoholic

Overall: The sweetness and allspice notes are nice, and there's a weird earthiness as well that is a bit unique and interesting. Overall, however, it reminds me more of a Christmas Ale than anything else. I'd be interested to try this fresh and see what it's like. (994 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a noisy amber with a finger of cream colored head. No head retention or lacing

S: Rich pumpkin & spice aroma

T: Follows the nose, more pice forward than pumpkin up front. Soe squashyness as this warms along with metallic notes, some picey notes too. Finishis with decent squashy/picy notes

MF: Sort of thinnish, subtle carbonation, a touch of boozey warmth on the edges. Thickens up a bit as it warms, not much

A good, but over-priced pumpkin ale, for these guys this is a let down. Give me Schaflys any day day, can almost buy a case for the cost of two of these bombers; in other word either these guys & or Roof BRos in Paducah have hosed me.... (658 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by Chaney. Thanks Brandon!

A: This beer appears an orange color and is for the most part, pretty clear. A slightly less than average-sized head perches atop the beer for a few ticks before leaving a few random traces of spotty lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is a big bouquet of autumnal spices. A blast of cinnamon and nutmeg followed by sweet malt.

T: As is often the case with pumpkin ales, I just find the beer to be too dominated by spices. I would much prefer to see the spices in a supporting role to the ale rather than overshadow it, which is the case here. Fresh cinnamon and nutmeg lead the way, followed by hints of gourds, sweet candies, and malts.

M: Thin to medium bodied with a moderately low carbonation level.

D: This is not something of which I would want to consume more than a small snifter. It might make a nice pairing with pie or cobbler on a brisk autumn day. A small serving goes a long way. (939 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%

Orangey honey colored with nearly no head despite a vigorous pour.

Strong vegetal aroma with big notes of vanilla and nutmeg, some subtle cinnamon.

Rich flavor of vanilla and nutmeg, cinnamon with a slight peppery bite, notes of pumpkin and squash, not picking up any ginger. High sweetness, not adequately balanced by the bitterness.

Slick mouthfeel, nearly syrupy, low carbonation, could use some body. Warmth and tingles on the tongue in the finish.

Tasty beer, but needs some body and balance. (501 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Peach colored to hazy yellow to lighter brown, depending on the light. The color's nice, but man, the head goes down to nothing quick, and there's little carbonation. Hope this isn't a bad bottle.

Smell: Driver, you're entering Spice City. This is what you'd expect, ideally, maybe, from a brew that has so many spices involved in the mix. I wonder if it's a little too much, since, as it warms, it begins to smell like one of those pervasive holiday candles that you smell at a place like Yankee Candle. But also, I like it, since it doesn't claim to only use a few. For some, it'll turn them off, but in the background you still get a good sense of maltiness going on, along with some darker cinnamon aromas that I like.

Taste: One thing I keep thinking: if they put this in six-packs, the ladies would love it. I say that, mostly, because the spices and malt element seem to be maybe a little too prevalent -- there's a flutter of some hops in the background, but this is a pretty malty brew, and I think an intriguing hop element could do a lot not only for the aroma, but also for the finish, which is pretty heavily spiced, and even though you may wait for some balancing citrus or acridity from hops, it's really not there.

Mouthfeel: It's not the the point where this is a bad bottle, I don't think, but it just seems undercarbonated to me, unfortunately, and that really lets the malt and spice stick to your ribs, so to speak, or really, your palate. Not as funny as I think I am: I know. But again, it gets a little syrupy, a little watery, and it's odd to me that such a sweet beer wouldn't have more carbonation so it wouldn't become what it ultimately does with so little carbonation.

Overall: I'm not sure my low score here is as characteristic as I want it to be for what I think about this brew, but as I've stated before, the missing carbonation and hop element could, possibly, end up doing a lot for this. Nothing will help the huge melange of spices, so if you're not into that or are afraid, stay away. But again, I feel like, whether they intended it or not, the girls who like the spicy pumpkin or holiday ales would really like this. Otherwise, and though I did enjoy this, I would maybe look elsewhere. Also, for near $10 a bomber, that price point doesn't work for me for what the beer ends up being in the end. All of this said: I'll still continue to check out more beers from HF, since I really like what they're doing... from the ones I've tried thus far, that is. (2,515 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%

A. Pours a clear red tinged copper with very little bright white head that dissipates to nothing almost instantly leaving no residual lacing.

S. Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, red apples, and a bit of allspice.

T. Lots of spice: cinnamon and nutmeg predominate. Not much sweetness. The flavor is not quite as robust as the smell, which is disappointing after the first whiff.

M. Fairly thin with a brisk carbonation that leaves the mouth fairly dry with a bit of residual spice.

D. Not a bad beer, but one that I likely won't pick up again. My wife and I tend to stick to Oktoberfest beers this time of the year. Occasionally we grab a pumpkin, but we usually end up regretting our decision. Oh well. (701 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Pours a clear garnet/amber color, no head, and no carbonation. The color is gorgeous, but the rest of this glass falls flat on its butt with not much else to offer visually.

S - Nutmeg, pumpkin, brown sugar, some ginger, and mild alcohol.

T - Mimics the nose: mild ginger, some brown sugar, mild nutmeg, pumpkin, and slight alcohol warming on the way down. There's a slight bready nuance and leaves a slightly yeasty and nutmeg spice aftertaste in the mouth.

M - Medium body with a much lighter than medium finish, not much sugary residue left on the lips,

O - This is a solid pumpkin ale, not one of my favorites, but worth checking out. I like Pumpkin Ales and I like Hoppin' Frog, but my main drawback is the aftertaste which is a little watery for my liking and the spices could be dialed up a bit. (811 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

A: This beer pours a dark orange reddish color with lots of carbonation bubbles and a decent 1 finger head.

S: This beer has a very strong spice component to it. Lots of cinnamon, clove, allspice, ginger, and even a little bit of bread smell to it.

T: This first thing that comes to my mind honestly is banana bread. The spices are there, but not as evident as the smell. Pumpkin makes an appearance at the midpoint.

M: Thin and well carbonated.

O: A good pumpkin beer, not my favorite, but I would definitely drink it again. A very good mix between spice and sweetness. It also masks the decently high alcohol content well. (632 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a clear orange with barely a finger of beige head that quickly vanishes with no lacing.

S: Typical pumpkin spices up front followed by sweet bready aromas mixed with vanilla. Some faint pumpkin/yam-like aromas peek through as well.

T: Lots of pumpkin spices up front followed by a strong malt backbone with some vanilla mixed in. The finish is bready and sweet with more spice notes. Slight alcohol burn on the finish.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is a bit less creamy than I'd like, but avoids being watery.

O: A pretty decent pumpkin ale. I'd like a bit less spice presence in the flavor and more vanilla/pumpkin. Still, it smells quite good and is pretty tasty. (698 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a nice somewhat transparent amber color with 2 inches of fluffy white head and light carbonation evident. No rentention or lacing.

s - Smells of spices, pumpkin, fruity malts, bready malts, and graham crackers.

t - Tastes of pumpkins, spices, fruity malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and alcohol.

m - Light to medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty nice pumpkin ale. Would have liked it to be a little sweeter but good none the less. Would drink again. (517 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5%

We blind tasted this beer in the Mug ( a pub in Middelburg, The Netherlands). During our tasting session in a particular style we taste 6 beers, one beer is always an exemption on the style. This was the exemption.

A - A light brown (some would call it orange) hazy ale with a tiny off white foam ring.

S - A very spiced beer; cinnamon, honey, nutmeg. It smells like some kind of medicine.

T - A different kind of beer with cinnamon and a lot of other herbs.

M - A medium to high carbonation together with a light bitter finish.

O - There was no love for this one in the tasting group. I think it was because of the barrel aged stuff is totally different. I think it's fun however. (686 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5%

A: Copper hue with no head--quite still--looks like apple juice; no lacing either

S: Pumpkin obviously but lots of cloves and ginger and nutmeg and cinnamon; a level of booziness too; something here is a bit sour as well

T: Pretty spice heavy; even more than the aromas indicated; some pumpkin but mostly ginger, nutmeg, etc.; some bready toasty notes underneath

F: A bit thin

O: A pretty spiced pumpkin beer and a bit boozy; I like it but I couldn't drink too many of these (479 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance - Amber body with a small, off-white head. Hardly any retention or lacing. Why can't anyone make a pumpkin beer with good retention?

Smell - Huge clove and cinnamon aroma. Really overpowering. I get the slightest bit of pumpkin in the back, but it's all about the spice.

Taste - Spicy start that really lingers throughout and overpowers the pumpkin. It's pretty one-note throughout. It finishes with a bit of pumpkin, but nothing like others I've had.

Mouthfeel - Easy to drink, despite being a heavy pumpkin ale. Medium high carbonation and a slightly dry finish. I wish it were creamier, but the lack of pumpkin flavor makes it just drop off.

Overall - The more pumpkin beers I have, the more discriminating I become. This tastes good, but it's just a cinnamon and clove beer. I want some pumpkin! (851 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -5%

A: pours a crystal clear honey/orange/yellow. A very thin head developed with a semi-agressive pour. Little to no lacing.
S: nice and complex. A ton of cinnamon, spice and clove. Obviously, some pumpkin too. Do I detect some slight booze too?
T: I get cinnamon and pumpkin right off the bat. This fades into a nice spiciness that brings along a hint of the pumpkin with it. I also detect notes of pie crust toward the back. A nice boozy warmth is present as well.
M: a thinner body with a decent amount of carbonation. It's thin on the tongue as well. A pleasant after taste that melds pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and alcohol.
O: This is a pretty good pumpkin brew. The flavor profile is solid, but perhaps they could easy up a bit on the cinnamon and go with more pumpkin nuances. Also, the body could use some thickening. All and all, not bad. (843 characters)

Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery