Frosted Frog Christmas Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Winter Warmer |  8.60% ABV

Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 11-16-2009

Ratings: 377 | Reviews: 144
4.72/5  rDev +26.5%

Was very eager to try this new Christmas Ale; actually had it at the brewery with the owner / brewer, can't get much better or fresher than that! Support your locals, fellas!

Appearance was very good, not much head or retention, but typical of this style....

Smell was awesome, if you enjoy highly spiced holiday beers, with "in your face" cinnamon notes with other background spices creeping in quickly, you will love this one! If you do not think of Christmas while sipping this one, check your pulse! The brewer told me he found and used some very intense Vietnamese cinnamon, added cold after fermentation....amazing stuff!

Taste of this new brew was freakin' amazing! My new favorite holiday beer, and I have tried nearly 20 so far this season! Potent at 8.6%, but well balanced malt flavors and seriously intense spices, and high alcohol well hidden and nicely balanced. You could sip this one all night on Christmas Eve, and Santa would be your very best friend.

Mouthfeel is very good indeed, wanted to keep drinking this one, had to show some restraint at the brewery!

Fred has a real winner here, seek this one out and hope that you have friends in Ohio this year, to hook you up! This holiday beer rocks! Very cool label, with Frosted Frog complete with Santa hat....nicely done!

4.7/5  rDev +26%

Aroma:Lots of Ginger, Cinnamon, Clove, vanilla, orange. French toast with Syrup.

Appearance:Amber, no head, slightly thick and syrupy texture, like southern sweet tea. Not opaque.

Taste:Cinnamon, and mulling spices in the foretaste. Slightly sour tang midtaste. Nutty aftertaste, maybe chestnuts.

Mouthfeel:Very little carbonation. Nice creamyness, nice alcoholic warmth. Tingle from ginger.

Drinkability:This is a fantastic Christmas ale, I taste it and am transported to the hottub in a gingerbread house.

4.62/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured into a balloon glass.

The beer is a deep ruby mahogany color with a fast fading cream head. Little or no lacing sticks to the glass.

The beer smells deliciously of tangy spices, like cinnamon and lime. Faint mellow malts and maybe some cedar.

The taste is very spicy up front. Lots of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg come out. Almost like a pumpkin ale, but there's just something more like Christmas in this. Some nice lime and cherry notes mixed in the finish. Really flavorful.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and perfectly crisp for easy drinking.

Overall, I haven't had anything less than exceptional from Hoppin' Frog, and their Christmas Ale is no exception. Truly delicious.

4.62/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured into a beer mug.

Appearance- Pours a deep murky amber with a one finger khaki head.

Smell- Smells distinctly of gingerbread with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and maybe some pumpkin toward the end.

Taste- Tastes like it smells. A lot of gingerbread and some molasses notes; sweet in a very good way.

Mouthfeel- Medium sort of body; refreshing and satisfying. Smooth with light to medium carbonation.

Overall- A really nice beer. Definitely glad I bought this one; very flavorful and a great Christmas sipper. I plan on getting this one next Winter. This is one of, if not my favorite, beer quite frankly. And I especially enjoyed cracking this one (and many others) open with my friend on Christmas night. Highly recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Vintage poured into a Trophy Brewing Tulip.

Appearance-4.25- This beer pours a beautiful amber/brown color with a minimal offwhite head that fades quickly. Leaves some nice lacing and although the head dissipated so fast it still left a nice film settled over the top of the beer. When held to a light it almost appears to be a clear ruby reddish color with a small amount of visible carbonation.

Smell-4.5- Even though its mid june when I close my eyes and take a whiff the scent brings me right to xmas day. My only qualm is that the cinnamon is a little over powering but other than that the spices and malts blend so well. You can tell this ones got a little booze to it but its not at all overpowering and blends into a perfect harmony with the malts and spices.

Taste- Sweet sweet malts with loads of winterish spice. Some people might think the spices are a little over the top but to me this flavor profile is just about spot on for what I'd hope for in a "winter warmer". Sweet malts, all the right spices and some warmth on the way down. The taste seems to linger for a good while between sips as well.

Mouthfeel- Moderate carbonation, smooth/slick medium body, perfect amount of warmth on the way down...compliments the taste nicely.

Overall-4.5- I think this beer is great for the style. LOADS of flavor. Not in a bad way, its just like...an "Imperial Winter Warmer" which is cool. Most companies put out these super mild, over spiced/under malted winter warmers so its cool to have a company go all out with one. However, with all that being said, this one bomber is more than enough. I think a single pint of this sweet gingerbread molasses strong brew around the holiday season would hit the spot perfectly. I'll definitely be grabbing another one this winter.

4.57/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance - a warm caramel amber glow as this is poured into a wine glass. A light manila head is thin but with good cling.

Aroma - the aroma of cinnamon cookies, fruitcake, ginger, very Christmassy.

Taste - graham cracker, gingery malts, level sweetness but not too much. Cinnamon and spice with a light bitterness on the swallow for a touch of balance, a nicely put together beer. Finishes with a hint of abv.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium body maybe a touch weighty.

Drinkability - a great beer while we're making final preps for Christmas '09. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good pint!

4.55/5  rDev +22%

Appearance - Virtually no head on the pour until the carbonation catches up at the top, leaving only a thin sheet that quickly disappears. Laces to the glass quite well.An opaque brown that allows a bit of crimson through as well.

Smell - A very strong smell of cinnamon and brown sugar.

Taste – A very delicious brew from Hoppin’ Frog. The notes of Brown Sugar in here are phenomenal and cannot be compared to anything I’ve had before. Excellent. This is a unique and delicious take on a winter beer. I can see how some would say it is too heavily spiced, but for me the concoction of malt and spices if perfectly done. Huge hits of cinnamon and nutmeg with a light alcoholic burn. Delicious malt and brown sugar in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability – I could drink this all winter long. The brown sugar stays in your mouth for quite some time without becoming overpowering. Exceptionally well-balanced. I enjoyed this beer a lot and will surely pick up a few more before winter is over.

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%

This is the beer that made my first review on BA.

A: Dark Red right out of the bottle into 2 Jack Daniels snifter glasses

S: Smells of Big Red and Cooking/Baking Spices

T: Mulled Spiced Beer/ High Cinnamon.

M: Spicy Warmed Cinnamon

O: Wow, was not expecting this! Hoppin' Frog has struck gold with this beer. As a HUGE WW fan and of spiced beer in general, this brew is GREAT! Not much else to say besides to BUY it...if you can find it:)

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Emerges clear and amber cinnamon colored with a light nutmeg colored head. Foam is decent in size but lacks any real sustenance. A bit thin and cola-like.

Aroma is beautifully festive. LArgely cinnamon with nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. I know some people dont like this type of beer, but if you dig the festive, spicy beers, this one is for you. The nose is a bit strong but I dont mind.

Solid pumpkin pie spice type flavor as well. Again, it is on the border of overdoing it but I dont think they did. This one certainly isnt subtle but it isnt too overpowering either. Malty body with sweet cinnamon and nutmeg. A little thin and perhaps a bit overcarbonated, so this one was a letdown in the mouthfeel department.

I know this isnt everyones cup of tea, but it is a very spicy (festive spice, that is) beer that is balanced yet strongly flavored. Spiced beers are hard to get right and this one is pretty close. I couldnt taste the abv at all and if you dont mind in-your-face pumpkin pie flavors, this one is for you, as it was for me.

4.52/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured 12/2009

It pours clear but dark mahogany and the head is almost non-existent. Now the first whifff...man, they weren't kidding about the spices. Strong cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in the nose. A bit of fruity malt in there too.

The spice dominates the flavor as well. Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg throughout. It's like drinking a gingerbread cookie, bready, spicy and a tinge of alcohol. A sweet fruity malt backbone but, again, the spices dominate. Not overpowering though, the ale remains pleasant to drink. Sweet spice in the finish.

Unusual and tasty spiced ale. It's a "Wow!" beer for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

This is normally NOT my kind of beer. I don't like gingerbread cookies or cinnamon in my beer...but this was just the right amount of both. It was fantastic, and I would gladly order it again!

4.49/5  rDev +20.4%

Pours a nice, clear caramel color with a small off white head.

Scent of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, sugars, earth, caramel, some dark fruit, and a hint of roasted malts. This is fantastic, it smells like Christmas cheer and nostalgia.

Taste of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, caramel, some dark fruit, and sugars. It starts a bit too sweet and finishes a bit too spicy. This has instantly become one of my favorite Winter seasonals, and this is one of the very few beers that I can say tastes like Christmas.

Mouthfeel is medium heavy bodied with a small bite of bubbly carbonation, very nice.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

My first review, but remember this is just like, my opinion, man.

Appearance- My pour was somewhat gentle but the head was small, not too small, but small none the less. I really like the color of this brew, darker redish brown/brownish red, looks pretty appetizing once you hold it up to the light.

Smell- After smelling this, you might ask yourself: "Oh, Jesus, what's that smell, man?" Don't worry though, its not vagrant. Huge, I mean huge smell of nutmeg and cinnamon. I'm gonna be stoked if this beer taste anything like it smells, could be the best xmas beer I've had, if so.

Taste- Wow, this beer does not disappoint, if anything the taste is even stronger than the smell, I personally consider that a good thing. I can taste nutmeg, cinnamon and black licorice(?) Maybe? I think so....

Mouthfeel: Smooth, man, smooth. A little carbonation at the end but not too much.

Drinkability: I happen to like strong, tasteful beers, and that's exactly what this is. If you like em' strong, then this beer is definitely for you. If you're not a big fan of spice, then you might wanna pass. But I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man. Actually, you should still try it.

I bought this for 7.99 which is pretty decent for a bomber in these parts, but uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine, so I can buy some more...

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

I got this brew in a trade with projectflam86, Thanks Kyle!

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

Slightly hazed red/amber color with a small beige head that thinned to a ring and left a bit of lacing.
Wow, this is a Christmas beer!... it smells like a gingerbread cookie.
The taste follows through with the smell all the spices and flavors that come with Christmas is in this beer.
Medium bodied with a nice, smooth feel.
It's very drinkable indeed, just be aware of the high abv.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had to plug the opening with my thumb and shake it up a bit to develop a nice two finger sized head. Pours with a deep ruby mahogany brown hue with khaki tan head forming with slow gurgling bubbles. Fine speckled lacing layers itself pretty evenly between sips, pretty attractive winter warmer meant for my Piraat chalice. Aromatics deep pie spice including cinnamon ginger and nutmeg with a slight citrus orange peel finish. Caramel sweetness is detected easily with minimal well hidden booze in trace amounts across my nares. The flavor is more pie spicing with caramel mild chocolate brown sugar glazed custard creamy tones. A touch of citrus amongst the nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon this is actually pretty damn enjoyable, I have to admit the first few sips I felt were cloying until my palate adjusted and I let it warm up a bit. Mouthfeel has a very balanced carbonation level rides smooth carrying spices and a creamy textured body without difficulty fuller bodied slow steady finish of alcohol burn that is really hidden compared to most of the winter ales available these days. Drinkability overall this one is a bit festive and after working 12 hours on Christmas day there's no better way to celebrate the beginning of a long weekend then by sipping on a fine spiced winter warmer out of Akron, OH. Amen, Halleleujgah, Wassail, WTF!

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

A- Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a small head and some lacing

S- Wow - the spices in this come in the nose very quickly and are very apparent - nutmeg, gingerbread, vanilla

T- Like the nose - very delici8ous - ginger, cinnamin, vanilla, some slight citrus

M- medium bodied- creamy - could be a bit thicker.

D- I'm going to call this the best Xmas ale I've had this season - fantastic beer.

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours a semi-transparent brown/ruby color that produces an off-white head that retains only for a few seconds. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow...not expecting this. Very spiced up; cinnamon, clove, cardamom (gives a cola like flavor), and a ton of nutmeg. Hops lay underneath along with a chocolately malt backbone. Not very balanced, but to me, this is what I expect a winter warmer should be. To tell you the truth, this is more of a spiced beer or a pumpkin ale.

T: Same as the nose, really spiced up and delicious. Definitely a seasonal taste. The difference that I noticed is that I can taste the ginger now-perhaps its the temperature. The only way to describe this is oatmeal raisin cookies with a little kick of alcohol.

MF/D: Medium body, lingering cinnamon/nutmeg finish

I can completely understand why people may not like this brew at all, but I LOVE this during the cold days and holidays. A little overwhelming to attack a bomber by yourself, but still very drinkable. I am not sure why, but I tend to think of winter warmers as this beer.

Very delicious, but perhaps misclassified

4.4/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

If you are not into spiced beers, stop reading now. This Is not the beer for you. If, however, you enjoy a nicely sweet holiday ale with a high enough ABV to warm you on a cold night, this is a good one. I poured this into a standard pint glass. The fizzy beige head dissipated quickly, leaving a trace of foam atop the dark reddish brown body. Cinnamon and ginger dominated the taste, leaving a very pleasant sweetness behind. It had a rich, semi-thick mouthfeel. This functions nicely as a dessert beer, or as an evening sipper. I'm planning on picking up a couple more of these.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

"Christmas in a glass" is the best way to describe this beer.

22oz bomber poured clear, caramel brown. Small head that dissipates quickly like most spiced brews I've had. Must be something in the spices that kills retention.

Aromatics are INTENSE. You can smell the cinnamon while you're filling your pint glass. Ginger and nutmeg come through with power as well but the cinnamon is bold yet refined.

Taste was similar o the aromatics, though not as intense. The ginger is more dominant than the cinnamon that was so strong in the aromatics. The combination of the two give this beer a near perfect balance.

Medium bodied and great carbonation.

The label is nicely done with a comical santa hat on the classic frog icon. (Note: they peel off extremely easy for homebrewers like me)

Overall, this is the first Xmas beer I actually thought tasted like "Christmas in a glass". It's what I expected a seasonal holiday beer to taste like years ago when I first had one; warm, christmas flavors (cookies, gingerbread, etc). This is a sipper, I could only drink one bomber of this in a sitting.
Hoppin' Frog makes some of the boldest beers in the area and they don't seem to shy away from serving up intensity. This is one of there better concoctions I've had.

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

served from a bomber into a chalice

A- Pours a dark reddish-amber hue, it had very little head and what it did have dissipated quickly

S- BAM! It hits you hard with the cinnamon upfront, and some ginger, nutmeg, and malt... It smells like a gingerbread cookie... also boozy especially when it warms and then maybe some citrus peel and some brown sugar

T- Lots of flavor... cinnamon, pretty boozy, and bready... again like a cinnamon/gingerbread cookie... a tiny bit of dark berries on the finish... the cinnamon sticks with you throughout(like their pumpkin ale)

M- More carbonated than I anticipated(a good thing)... creamy but also crip enough to keep me sipping

D- Wouldn't be able to drink too many of these because of the richness but then again you can NEVER complain about too much flavor right? It definitely does the name winter warmer justice

IMO this is easily the King of all maltier Christmas beers... just flavor-wise blows everything else out of the water and as soon its distribution increases I am sure it will catch on even more

4.34/5  rDev +16.4%

Hoppin Frog Frosted Frog is a winter warmer with a 8.6% ABV~ Pours a deep Mahogany red with a Khaki cream head~ Feel is med/Heavy with a with low carb and heavy malt and spice presence~ Nose is absolutely delicious~ Spot on replica of baking cinnamon rolls, followed by Ginger, Malt, Sugar and Honey~Taste is a Cinnamon

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

Thanks to Travita for sharing this bottle. The beer pours medium brown with an off-white head. The aroma is strong gingerbread cookies. The aroma is very spicy, it smells like Christmas. The flavor is more gingerbread with some great cookie flavored malt. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Not sure how they did it, but they made a beer taste exactly like you are eating gingerbread cookies. Very happy I got to try this one.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

Nearly no head on this. Pours on the brown side of amber. Warm pumpkin pie spices in the aroma. Tastes of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and orange peel. Enough malt that the spices don't get too wild. Body might be a little light. As it warms, the cinnamon become the most prevalent spice, but there are enough of the others to balance. Hefty booze at 8.6% ABV

Another amazing Winter Warmer from Ohio here. Wonderful!

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

a: snifter serving, pours a thick sand colored head receding to a thin layer, the beer a deep maple amber in color

s: intensely spiced - big nutmeg and cinnamon compete for dominance while ginger lingers behind on a structure of toasted malts bringing loads of brown sugar, one of the more heavily spiced beers out there but the malts do their part to keep things in check

m: lighter carbonation with a heavier, sugary body

t: powerfully spiced, but not without the malt backbone to hold things together - cinnamon rises above nutmeg and ginger as brown sugars invoke all manners of holiday dessert, sweet potato pie, cookies, minimally hopped with a light drying as spices linger and sugars coat the lips, pushes the limits of both spice and sweetness to the point of being pretty seriously out of balance - and deliciously so at that

d: one to take your time with as the sugar and spice wear after a bit, but the bomber goes down pretty well, this type of beer isn't for everybody - but it sits quite easy with me

bomber from Chuck's in Chagrin Falls

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

great winter beer flavors bursting. two years aged

Frosted Frog Christmas Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery