Frosted Frog Christmas Ale - Hoppin' Frog Brewery

good

Hoppin' Frog Brewery visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  8.60% ABV

(Beer added by: paco1029384756 on 11-16-2009)

RayOhioFelton, Feb 24, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -62.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From 22oz bomber

Bottom line: Way overspiced. Really. I mean way, way overspiced. I appreciate Hoppin' Frog pushing it to the limit here, but it literally reaches said limit and jumps the shark.

Cinnamon and spice and everything nice - but in steriodal proportions that made me extremely nauseous - this coming from a man with an iron stomach.

I can certainly say I tried, but this one hit the drain.

Avoid this EPIC FAILURE at all costs.

Rhettroactive, Dec 21, 2010
1.48/5  rDev -60.2%

Black/brown with basically no head, lacing is visible. For such a dark-colored beer, the liquid is completely transparent. Aside from a wee bit of lacing, this brew looks totally unimpressive.

The nose is straight nutmeg--like overpowering, obnoxious piles of nutmeg. There might also be some ginger, perhaps some cinnamon, and maybe even a tad bit of spruce pine. My descriptors sound better than it smells, as the nutmeg really predominates. I knew a guy in high school that ate nutmeg to get high (apparently it contains some sort of psychoactive), and this beverage reminds me of him.

If I were to liquify a Yankee Candle and drink it, this is what I think it would taste like. It's so flavorful it's disgusting. Other than biting a flavored candle, I don't know what else to compare it to...maybe eating evergreen needles. The Christmas input is definitely there, but obnoxiously so. This liquid is so thick and messy that I will probably pour it. I jokingly offer that it might clog my Dispose-all.

I take another sip just to judge mouthfeel: thankfully, this beer is cold enough that it probably inhibits some flavor. It feels like old candy. It's sweet and [evergreen] piney, with a dose of Christmas bread-spice. It's the egg nog of beers. Do you want to drink a bunch of egg nog?

marvin213, Dec 27, 2009
1.48/5  rDev -60.2%

Bottle picked up at Rick's in Alexandria. Thanks, Jon, for warning me. Unfortunately, Amyliz4 insisted that we buy and drink this. Even worse, she likes it. Served in a St. Bernardus goblet.

Pours a moderate brown color with a bit of a crimson hue. Single-finger head falls quite quickly without any lacing. A thin collar around the edges with a bit of a spiderweb cap on top. Nose is straight-up cinnamon. Cinnamon domination here. That'll open up your nostrils. Not offensive, just quite overpowering.

Then comes the taste. Are you kidding me? Half a jar of cinnamon into some lightly-sweetened water. Carbonate it up a bit and you've got Frosted Frog! Wow, this is not a good-tasting beer. I suppose aside from the cinnamon there's also a bit of light spruce character. Either way, this is just a cinnamon bomb and basically unpalatable. Son of a lady frog does this taste stay with me...I really can't get it out of my mouth. I don't even know if a shot of gin would work at this point. Mouthfeel? Spice. Cinnamon. Yuck. I'd drainpour the rest of this bottle if Amy didn't insist on drinking it all.

Thorpe429, Dec 19, 2010
1.63/5  rDev -56.2%

22oz bottle recieved as an extra. Thanks!

A- Pours a medium amber/ruby with brownish tints. Medium off-white head.
S- Cinnamon, cinnamon, and some other spices. Way too overpowering.
T- Awful. A blatant assault of cinnamon and spices. Way too strong, no balance.
M- Medium body.
D- Negative. After my first sip I wish I could have taken it back.

Overall - This is an abysmal attempt at a beer. If you want your taste-buds to take a cinnamon beating, and the idea of liquid red-hots beer excites you, then give this a shot. Otherwise, try any other half-way decent winter warmer that isn't spices just for the sake of spices.

mrandypandy, Dec 19, 2010
1.8/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

22 oz bottle into a couple of tulip glasses.

Pours a dark clear ruby in the glass, with a ½ finger of off-white head. This retains with some thin foaminess around the edges that leaves a cascade of spotty lacing behind. The aroma is heavy with spices, along with cherries, caramel, and sugary bread. Muddled notes of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, are all so overpowering here; it's really hard to make heads or tails of this nose at times.

The taste is a combo of more spices, roast, and caramel, which is giving off a bit of a molasses character. Dark fruit is coming out as well, as the flavors and alcohol combine into a sweet and tangy warmth that drenches the mouth. Those spices are just as dominant as they were in the nose and come out HEAVY in the finish. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied and surprisingly sharp in the carbonation department despite the overall chewy alcohol warmth in the body.

I can see where they were going with the different flavors here, but unfortunately the combo of a ridiculously heavy spice profile and overall high alcohol content rendered this a pretty much undrinkable mess. A rare drain pour for me.

Kegatron, Dec 28, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -49.5%

A-Pours a burnt copper color with a half finger that quickly dissipates.

S-Smells of allspice and a bit of cinnamon with some light, sweet caramel malt notes.

T-Really spicy upfront with mainly allspice and a bit of ginger and finishes with some sweet, dark fruit and more spice
M-Very dry feel with medium to high carbonation and a thin body.

D-Really over-spiced in my opinion; hard to get down the first pint I poured, this could be a drain-pour.

samie85, Apr 02, 2011

beerbrains, Jul 12, 2012

Brown120, Dec 04, 2011

Hawoh, Dec 25, 2011

Rekrule, Dec 28, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -44.9%

I can't imagine a worse winter warmer. Surely the worst that I've ever had. The cinnamon completely over powers the taste of every other ingredient. Ginger? Nutmeg? Where?

Pours pretty syrupy. Low carbonation, about a 1/4" head. Looks similar to a brown, maybe 2-3 shades darker that Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Upon smelling, all you get is cinnamon. You know those Brach's cinnamon disc candies? It tastes like that. I wanted to dump it, but for the price paid, I choked it down.

After having DORIS, which was one of my favorite beers ever, I was excited to try the rest of their line-up and selected this one. Simply awful.

rodney4130, Jan 02, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A-Poured into a shaker pint. gorgeous deep candy burgandy. Little to no head. Vibrant looking. Definatly my favorite
part of the beer.
S- fruity, spicy, piney, medicinal
T- about 2 to 3 times too much spice for me. Very alocholic tasting, maybe due to the low ibus. Also finishes like licking an evergreen. A pish posh of trying to fit all of the "holiday flavors" in one beer imo.
M- thin and syrupy
O- save your 7 bucks and try 3 or 4 other xmas beers for the same price..anchor, hibernation, 12 dogs(thirstydog)<--my pick of the year so far for xmas beers.

hailyeast, Dec 25, 2011
2.17/5  rDev -41.7%

Bottle review, drank 2 days after Christmas. This is gonna be a bad review, my apologies up front to the good people of Hoppin Frog. But man was this beer a serious pile of spicy nastiness. It smelled like Old Spice deodorant and gingerbread cookies, shit-tons of cinnamon and, I guess, nutmeg. Ugh, it tastes just like it smells. This strays too far from the boundaries of good beer, it's really a spiced carbonated cookie-flavored pop. In no way will I ever get this again, this was an unnecessary addition to the Hopping Frog line-up.

But hey, if you like spiced beers this might be for you.

TurdFurgison, Dec 27, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle

Palmer's Beverage Center
Columbus, OH

Ruby red and crimson with a thin head and nearly no lace left down the glass.

This beer certainly smells like Christmas. Aromas of spiced fruit cake, a huge amount of cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg make for a big, appropriately holiday, aroma.

The beer's flavor is simply too much...too much cinnamon! There isn't much left here to taste but cinnamon, as it sort of burns and scorches your tongue. I can't help but think of YouTube videos of people trying to swallow spoonfuls of cinnamon as I drink this beer (that is, I try to drink this beer). It's almost undrinkable.

Medium bodied with a ton of carbonation. The incredibly high level of carbonation mixed with the incredibly strong, dominating cinnamon flavor makes this one tough to drink.

I won't have this beer again or recommend this beer to anyone.

ehammond1, Dec 06, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -40.1%

Poured into my New Belgium snifter. No head to speak of, even with an aggressive pour. It's amber in color with good clarity. Spice slaps you in the face as soon as you raise the glass. Wow, pretty heavy on the cinnamon & ginger. The spices follow into the taste, overpowering any hops bitterness, and only moderately detectable maltiness. This has a medium mouthfeel, and though it's heavy on the spices, it doesn't linger. I like the spice in my winter warmers to complement the backbone of the beer, not become it. Way too heavy on the spices to give this one a high grade, because even as the beer warmed, the spices became even more pronounced. Most of the robust dark beers I normally drink get better as they warm, but not this one unfortunately.

Bulkman, Apr 04, 2011

JAHMUR, Jan 29, 2012

Satchboogie, Nov 17, 2011

t0rin0, Oct 14, 2012
2.56/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I am not a fan of any spiced beer no matter the occasion and sadly this beer falls dead square in that category. The immediate aftertaste is a mouthful of cinnamon that masks everything else. Its a gimmicky beer and that's just not for me. There are any number of other REALLY good beers on tap at Hoppin Frog that deserve your attention. This is not one of them.

Slapshot, Jul 27, 2014
2.58/5  rDev -30.6%

Received in trade from phisigben, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a crystal clear deep reddish brown color with a huge fluffy tan head that slowly recedes. Smells of cinnamon and nutmeg mostly. Quite heavy spicy aroma obliterates any beer smells from my perception. Taste has a bit of a caramel sweet malt flavor upfront before the gingerbread house flavor takes over and ruins this beer. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet spice laden mouthfeel. I won't mince words here, this beer is horrible. Its over spiced and I couldn't finish my glass.

johnnnniee, Jan 07, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a reddish/copper color with about a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing were both decent enough. Aroma is all sweet spices, with nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger all noticable. The taste is like the aroma, it's all spice. Unfortunately that's not a good thing because all the spice just didn't agree with me after a while. I think the ginger flavor in this brew was way too strong compared to the other spices. As the beer warmed up more, it seemed like the ginger just got stronger. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it seems a bit thin at times, and has moderate carbonation. Drinkability is below average, it certainly wasn't enjoyable to finish this bomber. I think if the spices had more balance in the flavor instead of being so heavy on the ginger, I would have liked this beer more.

bluejacket74, Nov 13, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -27.4%

22oz bomber, 12 oz pour into pint glass.

Ruby-red, clear elixir, thin tan head, moderate lacing.

Heavy spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla.

A mess of the above spices with a thin malt presence--like drinking a glass of holiday potpourri.

First mediocre beer from HF. Had the BA version, which was well balanced, with the barrel-aging cutting down the spices. Can't recommend this version, though.

CaptCleveland, Jan 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

brikelly, Dec 31, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours a murky chestnut red with a crusty looking tan head and large bubbles. Huge spices in the nose, tons of cinnamon and nutmeg, pumpkin pie like. Some sugary malt, maybe a touch of berry sweetness and a metallic twang in the back. Flavor is much of the same, overly spiced and messy malts with an off twang underneath and notes of alcohol in the finish. Full bodied, syrupy, high carbonation.

cpetrone84, Dec 21, 2011